PDA

View Full Version : IGN's Review of Jedi Academy

Raiders Army
09-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Hey, in the review, they sorta mention TCY.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/450/450042p1.html

September 15, 2003 - About a year-and-a-half ago Raven Software surprised the heck out of us with a little title called Jedi Outcast. It wasn't that Raven had made such a great game; we were used to that already from Elite Force and Soldier of Fortune. What really shocked us was how well they captured the license and designed a really solid game around it. And now that Raven has offered up a sequel, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, they've managed to strengthen many of the features of the previous game.

So I should just cut and paste my Jedi Outcast review and replace all the "greats" with "phenomenals," right? Well, not quite. While the title does many things better than Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy nevertheless comes with a few minor problems that bring entirely new frustrations.

One of the biggest changes is that you won't be playing as Kyle Katarn. I understand why Raven and Lucas opted to go with an entirely new character for the series but it's still hard to say goodbye to such an old friend. Still, it's better than a contrivance to get Kyle back to a weaker state to provide a compelling challenge and sense of progress to the game. I'm mollified somewhat by the decision to let players create their own character's appearance here but I can't shake the feeling that, since the character is created according to the player's preference, that we'll be seeing yet another character for Star Wars Jedi Knight: The College Years.

Franklinnoble
09-16-2003, 01:24 PM
IGN has inadvertently just revealed Jim's new game. Nice find, RA.