PDA

View Full Version : Name that commish

GrantDawg
10-21-2003, 12:14 AM
Ok, we have one who said he be commish but said he wouldn't be the best "long-term" (Fritz). Anyone else willing? Can we get a firm nomination?

TroyF
10-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Before getting a nomination, maybe we should just ask if anyone wants it.

I can tell you I will not have the time to ever be a full time commish.

TroyF

GrantDawg
10-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by TroyF
Before getting a nomination, maybe we should just ask if anyone wants it.

I can tell you I will not have the time to ever be a full time commish.

TroyF

That's what I'm asking. We have one willing. Do we have more?

MIJB#19
10-21-2003, 04:34 AM
To me, there's a big question:

What does it take to be commisionair, what is the job description?

Besides that, I think I'm not an option as commish mainly due to the difference in time due to living in a time zone 6 hours away.

SackAttack
10-21-2003, 04:50 AM
I think a critical component here, as MIJB pointed out, is to know ahead of time exactly what the commish duties are going to be.

If it's labor-intensive, that may cause some people to remove themselves from consideration. Without knowing exactly what tasks are tied to the job, it'll be tough for anybody to volunteer, or even to accept the nomination, in good faith.

Blackadar
10-21-2003, 06:15 AM
SkyDog :)

Buzzbee
10-21-2003, 06:21 AM
For non-playing Commish I nominate Anrhyded....What? He is? Oh. Ne'er mind.

Buzzbee
10-21-2003, 06:45 AM
Serious nomination for a non-playing commish. WSUCougar.

Don't know if he, or anyone, would want to be a non-playing commish, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. He likes to run contests. Perhaps he'd like to be involved in the FOF2k4 Legends League.

Bee
10-21-2003, 06:51 AM
That's a good one Buzzbee. WSUCougar would do a great job IMO.

Scarecrow
10-21-2003, 08:17 AM
Well, I thought we were going to wait until we picked who the 32 teams would be. But off the top of my head, I'd say that it would probably be either Simms, Duke, or Mali.

Oh wait, you guys are starting another FOFL. :o

Coming Soon (hopefully) ....The Norman Baits of the newly formed FOFL (http://www.thefofl.com)
http://www.thesportsims.com/norman.gif

Bee
10-21-2003, 08:21 AM
We definitely need feedback from Jim or QS on how much is involved for the commish before going down this path too far.

Ben E Lou
10-21-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Scarecrow
Well, I thought we were going to wait until we picked who the 32 teams would be. But off the top of my head, I'd say that it would probably be either Simms, Duke, or Mali.

Oh wait, you guys are starting another FOFL. :o

Coming Soon (hopefully) ....The Norman Baits of the newly formed FOFL (http://www.thefofl.com)
http://www.thesportsims.com/norman.gif Simms and I have exchanged e-mails today. I don't think anyone cares that much about the name of the league. We'll come up with something.

Fritz
10-21-2003, 08:24 AM
please let it be the "Bring Fritz Cheese League"

Buccaneer
10-21-2003, 08:31 AM
I would nominate Simms or WSUCougar but as I tried to say earlier, we cannot overestimate the amount of work that is going to be involved - for the commish and other league officials. An OOTP commish is fairly busy, esp. during the off-season but with football/FOF, I see that another magnitude higher. I don't know if Jim or QS can answer because I don't think a 32-team league was tested.

Buzzbee
10-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
I would nominate Simms or WSUCougar but as I tried to say earlier, we cannot overestimate the amount of work that is going to be involved - for the commish and other league officials. An OOTP commish is fairly busy, esp. during the off-season but with football/FOF, I see that another magnitude higher. I don't know if Jim or QS can answer because I don't think a 32-team league was tested.

This is one reason I think a non-owner may be a good choice. They won't have to try and juggle a team AND be commish. Also, it gives us a somewhat impartial judge when it comes to controversy, if it occurs. However, the problem is that I really don't see what is in it for a non-playing commish. All the work and none of the glory or fun.

I think some guidance from Jim or Quik may be in order, if we can get it.

Bee
10-21-2003, 08:52 AM
I would think they could at least estimate the amount of time involved, even if a 32 team league wasn't tested. I would think the only really significant difference between a 32 team league and a smaller one will be the draft (depending on how that's handled).

cuervo72
10-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Chiming in...after just seeing the flurry of e-mail. :) I also think a non-playing commish is a good idea. But if we can't, it would really help to understand what the mechanism is. I'm sure we'll find out soon. It might also help in finding a candidate to know at what pace the league will be moving, i.e. how often games are going to be simmed and what if any schedule there will be.

Darkiller
10-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Yeah basically you have to know what "the job is about" before sayintg "it's for me".
So let's wait to hear about that.

Now, I'd say people like QS and Skydog and Primelord seem to be the right fit for that kind of stuff.

TroyF
10-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Well, we could always chip in and buy the non playing commish this version of FOF for free.

It'd be about 2 bucks each?

TroyF

Kodos
10-21-2003, 02:54 PM
I vote for Horns as Commish! All in favor?

cthomer5000
10-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Well, we could always chip in and buy the non playing commish this version of FOF for free.

TroyF

That's not a bad idea at all.

Buzzbee
10-21-2003, 03:50 PM

TroyF

I second that.

Kodos
10-21-2003, 03:57 PM
I third it.

Vegas Vic
10-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Assuming the position is not excessively labor intensive (i.e., the equivalent of a full-time job), I would be willing to take the responsibility. I am self-employed, and it's fairly easy for me to juggle my schedule.

Ben E Lou
10-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Vegas Vic
Assuming the position is not excessively labor intensive (i.e., the equivalent of a full-time job), I would be willing to take the responsibility. I am self-employed, and it's fairly easy for me to juggle my schedule. Second.

(and I'm all for sending the non-playing commish 2 bucks per person)

TroyF
10-21-2003, 04:50 PM
I'm all for Vegas Vic taking over the job. I'm hoping it won't be that difficult. We'll just need strict rules about sending in game plans and depth charts. If it isn't in by INSERTTIMEHERE, you play with what the computer gives you.

TroyF

Celeval
10-21-2003, 05:55 PM
All about it.

Kevin

Vince
10-21-2003, 06:05 PM
I third (fourth?) the motion for Vegas Vic taking the job.

I'll also happily throw down the 2 bucks (or however much) to pick up his copy.

cthomer5000
10-21-2003, 06:08 PM
I'm all for Vegas Vic taking over the job. I'm hoping it won't be that difficult. We'll just need strict rules about sending in game plans and depth charts. If it isn't in by INSERTTIMEHERE, you play with what the computer gives you.

TroyF

Exactly. If you don't send any updates, you play with lask weeks game plan and either the same depth chart (or computer set one, if needed due to injuries).

I'm also in favor of both Vegas Vic as commish, and all of us chipping in to pay for the game for him.

Corey

Bee
10-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Vegas Vic is a great choice. I'm also in for the chipping in to pay for the game.

Also...
Vic, you've always been my favorite poster here. Really! Not just kissing up in hopes of getting some favors... :D

Kodos
10-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Yes to both, and I like the play with cpu making your choices if you don't get them in on time rule.

cuervo72
10-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Sounds good by me, I'll give my endorsement to Vegas Vic as commish and will be glad to kick in $2. I also figured we'd have to have some "absentee" rule, for vacations and the like. So a deadline after which the computer takes control or the previous week's gameplan stands sounds good to me.

Buccaneer
10-21-2003, 08:22 PM
I think we will be hashing out rules and the constitution for a while, esp. since none of us have done something like this before. Online leagues, even for a familiar game, does have their own dynamics.

Buzzbee
10-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Vic's got my vote, as does the "INSERTTIMEHERE" rule.

Also, a big shout out to TroyF for the idea. Attaboy, Troy!

SackAttack
10-21-2003, 09:14 PM
yeah, uh, you guys realize that $2 each comes out to like $60, right? :)

That said, second on both.

Ben E Lou
10-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by SackAttack
yeah, uh, you guys realize that $2 each comes out to like $60, right? :) ...I got no problem with giving him a little something for his time.

FBPro
10-21-2003, 09:59 PM
I say good idea as well.

GrantDawg
10-21-2003, 10:34 PM
I agree with Vegas Vic and the $2.

Anthony
10-21-2003, 10:50 PM
ok, i got no prob with Vegas Vic.

however.....

this $2. like SA said it works out to about $60. so the commish gets some profit in conjuction with a free game. still don't have a prob.

i get a prob when Joe Commish decides he's tired of being a commish and hands in his resignation. for me to pay someone to be my commish i want some type of commitment from him.

as it stands when you're in an online league and the commish leaves - well, it's not a paid job so no one can complain. real life takes a priority.

but when someone gets paid i don't want to hear no excuses. and i don't want a short-term commish. i want x amount of years minimum, at least 5 season until the league can stand on it's on regardless of who's in charge. paying a guy changes things. he now has a job, instead of a hobby.

for me to conitinue with this league if we're gonna go in this direction, i'm going to personally want some type of written acknowledgement that the Commish understands the minimum expectations on his duties.

we should make it that if Vic decides one day he wants out as commish - he gives the new commish of our league the full $60. i'm just not comfortable giving Vic this money and have him turn around and leave after year 2 because it's too much work.

no offense to Vic, btw.

Vegas Vic
10-22-2003, 03:51 AM
Guys,

I appreciate the vote of confidence. For me, the FOFC community has been a great joy in my life, and this is something that I will enjoy participating in. I know that many of you will be putting a lot of time and effort into your franchises, and I give you my word that I'll take my responsibilities very seriously.

I'm looking forward to it.

Edit:

Also, I'd like to add that I don't mind buying my own copy of the game. I know that we have a very diverse community, and some of you are struggling college students (been there, done that). The good Lord has blessed me in many ways, and I'm fairly well-off financially, so I'll be happy to pay for my own game.

Buccaneer
10-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Great to have you as our commish, Vic.