PDA

View Full Version : So I take it

vex
10-21-2003, 04:08 AM
That all the leagues will get their own forum?

SackAttack
10-21-2003, 04:31 AM
Could be. This one was set up mostly because it was that, or get the email inboxes clogged up with emails from all of the participants.

It may also have just been a temporary measure until the league website is up and the game is out, for all I know.

Fritz
10-21-2003, 05:34 AM
see, I told you

Franklinnoble
10-21-2003, 10:29 AM
Well, I guess I missed the boat on this league.

Bee
10-21-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm guessing there's probably going to be a pretty high turnover initially with people leaving and new players joining.

cuervo72
10-21-2003, 10:50 AM
I would think so too. Eventually somebody will get pissed at somebody else, or somebody won't keep up, or....

Fritz
10-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by cuervo72
I would think so too. Eventually somebody will get pissed at somebody else, or somebody won't keep up, or....

or the colossal ardvarks will eat them?

Eaglesfan27
10-21-2003, 11:40 AM
I guess I missed the boat on this league as well. If an opening comes up, I am interested. Thanks.

The_herd
10-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Same here, I missed the sign-up entirely.

Darkiller
10-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Yes there will be a lot of turnover I'm sure.

Actually, the great thing would be that when an owner/GM drops out, the other owners/GM "vote" (like done in the NFL) before "accepting"..or not the new person who is bound to taking over the left out franchise.

I think it would be very good for the league, would help consolidate the links and the feeling of "that's OUR league" among the owners.

MrBug708
10-21-2003, 12:35 PM
There wasn't a sign up....

daedalus
10-21-2003, 01:37 PM
There doesn't always need to be one. :)

Franklinnoble
10-21-2003, 03:52 PM
I guess I'm not in the right "clique."

Kodos
10-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Large cash donations help.

Fritz
10-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Franklin, I am sure that all of us wish that everyone in the FOFC who wants to play could be in.

sachmo71
10-21-2003, 06:54 PM
How was the decision on who gets to be in the official league made, if you don't mind me asking?

Anthony
10-21-2003, 10:33 PM
everyone knows who the "FOFC Legends" are, to coin a phrase from Blacky.

not for nothing, but many of the nucleus of this community has been around for several eyars now - this league is something we've all talked about for years.

it wasn't meant as a insult to anyone, but when you think about Legends in this community certain names pop up. nothing more.

sachmo71
10-21-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Hell Atlantic

not for nothing, but many of the nucleus of this community has been around for several eyars now - this league is something we've all talked about for years.

it wasn't meant as a insult to anyone, but when you think about Legends in this community certain names pop up. nothing more.

Were you addressing my question on the selection process?

MrBug708
10-21-2003, 11:45 PM
I think it's a question best not answered

mckerney
10-22-2003, 01:29 AM

You think of those who have numbers in the teens like HA, or even those nerds who stayed up until the Sportplanet board finally went live to be the first of the viewing public to register.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Rolleyes added to make sarcasm clear.

Marmel
10-22-2003, 02:25 AM
...and here you have the reason why I declined the invite.....

:rolleyes:

Neuqua
10-22-2003, 02:29 AM

Didn't you leave for a while and then come back? With all due respect, that post is garbage. I didn't think we had elitists here at FOFC.

BTW, nothing against the league, I just found that particular post a tasteless.

Marmel
10-22-2003, 02:29 AM
Has there ever been a tasteful HA post, Neuq?

Ben E Lou
10-22-2003, 04:57 AM
Look, I put "official" in quotation marks for a reason. There is no such thing as as *real* "official" league. As most everyone around here knows, I'm not normally a big fan of multiplayer. That being said, I'd like to at least give it a shot with FOF2K4. I figured the best way for me to be fully engaged in the league was to play with people who I "know" online. So, rather than waiting to see which league would have a few of the people I wanted to play with, I decided to invite all of them. Some of the old-timers (Morgado, ez, OldSchool) never responded. Some on the list (Senator, HFP, and a couple others) I actually forgot on the first round of invites. Some not on the list (sachmo, Vegas Vic, etc.) I am still kicking myself for forgetting about. There was no rhyme or reason. I just thought of people off the top of my head that I wanted to be in a league with. That is all. Nothing sinister or elitist. No more. No less. When I started compiling the list, I realized that it would be *viewed* as an "official" league because of the presence of both admins, and a number of "legends" of The Sideline and FOFC. Gathering some "elite" wasn't my intention though. Again, I just wanted to give multi a try, and I was fairly certain that I'd like it more if I was playing with guys with whom I familiar.

Fritz
10-22-2003, 05:37 AM
everybody stop this now or I will send this thread careening into sub-tangent oblivion.

you have been warned.

~Fritz (who has stolen enough power from the gods to make a good quiche, but not enough to harm anybody)

Scarecrow
10-22-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by SkyDog
Look, I put "official" in quotation marks for a reason. There is no such thing as as *real* "official" league. ... When I started compiling the list, I realized that it would be *viewed* as an "official" league because of the presence of both admins, and a number of "legends" of The Sideline and FOFC. Gathering some "elite" wasn't my intention though.

Then I'd offer a suggestion: Instead of having a specific board for a specific league, why not rename it 'Front Office Football Leagues' and let other people use it to start their own leagues, ala OOTP's 'OOTP Online Leagues'.

Coming Soon ....The Norman Baits of the newly formed FOFL (http://www.thefofl.com)
http://www.thesportsims.com/norman.gif

Bee
10-22-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Scarecrow
Then I'd offer a suggestion: Instead of having a specific board for a specific league, why not rename it 'Front Office Football Leagues' and let other people use it to start their own leagues, ala OOTP's 'OOTP Online Leagues'.

That's a good idea IMO.

sachmo71
10-22-2003, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the explination, Skydog.

Celeval
10-22-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Scarecrow

Not a bad idea. If so, there would (imho) have to be rules about thread titles - prefixed with [xxxx] where xxxx is the name of the league referenced, etc. Something like that.

Although we know how well that works for [OT]. :rolleyes:

Kevin

Ben E Lou
10-22-2003, 08:07 AM
...and as far as forums for leagues, a few points to consider As best as I can tell, there are no more than 200ish regular users of FOFC.
Not all of them will be in leagues initially. Plenty have said they have no interest in multiplayer, or they'll take a "wait and see" attitude about the game and/or multi. I have a strong feeling that, at least initially, we're talking 5 or 6 leagues at most forming from among the ranks of FOFCers.
Until the point when things get out of hand (if ever), it is easiest to use the main board or PM's to recruit league members.
By nature of the members of this league, there will be some "general interest" in this league. (Incidentally, it is looking more and more likely that Solecismic will fill spot #32.)
I've never noticed any slowing down at all since we've had the vbulletin software.

All these things being considered, if anyone asks for another message board for their league, at this point I think that is fine.

Buccaneer
10-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Is the idea of a separate website (and perhaps its own forum) still a viable idea for FOFL or any other leagues?

One of the main impediments I'm guessing for starting up FOF MP leagues is the requirement of having 32 humans. That's pretty high whereas most OOTP leagues cannot sustain that many (FOBL excepting).

Jim, for the love of all that hold holy, please work on a flexible schedule generator or open it up so there can be a third-party generator. That way, we can get around having 32 hardcoded teams. Please.

Bee
10-22-2003, 08:38 AM
I think you can have less than 32 people (I don't know if the league size changes or if the computer controls the other teams though).

cuervo72
10-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Bee
I think you can have less than 32 people (I don't know if the league size changes or if the computer controls the other teams though).

I get the impression that leagues will be 32 teams (I'm figuring league structure will be rigid, unfortunately) and each team will have a computer/human control option.

Bee
10-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by cuervo72
I get the impression that leagues will be 32 teams (I'm figuring league structure will be rigid, unfortunately) and each team will have a computer/human control option.

That's my "guess" as well unfortunately.

Neuqua
10-22-2003, 12:05 PM
I think I'm being slightly misunderstood here. I have no problems with who the owners are in the league, and me not getting picked. Bug had already asked me to join his and for the moment I intend on keeping my FOF online league quota at only 1. So this has nothing to do with me being bitter or anything like that.

I only had a problem with HA's particular post where it seemed like he was implying that those not in the league were not because they hadn't reached "legend" status. That's what I did not like. I wish you guys nothing but the best, and rest assured with some of the personalities I will be checking in and seeing how everyone is doing.

Is it too early to bestow a curse on HA's team?

:)

Neuqua

cthomer5000
10-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Neuqua
I think I'm being slightly misunderstood here. I have no problems with who the owners are in the league, and me not getting picked. Bug had already asked me to join his and for the moment I intend on keeping my FOF online league quota at only 1. So this has nothing to do with me being bitter or anything like that.

I only had a problem with HA's particular post where it seemed like he was implying that those not in the league were not because they hadn't reached "legend" status. That's what I did not like. I wish you guys nothing but the best, and rest assured with some of the personalities I will be checking in and seeing how everyone is doing.

Neuqua

He obvisouly spoke from no official position. And certainly did not express my sentiments on the subject, and probably not those of many others.

Oh, and since he'll be an opponent of mine... curse away!

cthomer

JeeberD
10-22-2003, 12:37 PM
I would just like to put my name in for consideration in case you have some drop-outs...

vex
10-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by JeeberD
I would just like to put my name in for consideration in case you have some drop-outs...

Traitor:D

McSweeny
10-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by vexroid
Traitor:D

all traitors shall be tar and feathered!

JeeberD
10-22-2003, 01:22 PM
I'm no traitor, I'm just a multi-leaguer... :D

MrBug708
10-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Jeeber....*shakes head*

JeeberD
10-22-2003, 02:13 PM
What, so only mckerney and TroyF are allowed to have teams in multiple leagues? Discrimination I tell ya!!! :)

SunDancer
10-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Neuqua

Neuqua

I echo this statement. Seems like the FOFC league is all about the "big people" (and if you noticed, Jim is in the league as well)

sachmo71
10-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Since Skydog was so kind to point out how this league members were chosen, Hell's point is irrelevant in this context. Let's move on and witness the birth of the league!

Unless Continental starts moving faster. :D

MrBug708
10-22-2003, 03:40 PM
We have a webpage up. Woot Woot!

But we don't have a fourm....yet

HornedFrog Purple
10-22-2003, 03:45 PM
He did offer to make one for any league but people have been too busy with their lone gunman theories....

daedalus
10-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by SunDancer
I echo this statement. Seems like the FOFC league is all about the "big people" (and if you noticed, Jim is in the league as well)I don't really see it as a "who are the important people?" issue. For most people who don't generally play on-line games that start playing, they like to try it with people they are familiar with (hence, FOBL being so successful). That's what it seemed like from the beginning and Ben has said so himself.

Ben E Lou
10-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by daedalus
For most people who don't generally play on-line games that start playing, they like to try it with people they are familiar with.So, I'm not unique? :(

NoMyths
10-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SkyDog
So, I'm not unique? :( The FOBL had an open sign-up. ;)

Anthony
10-22-2003, 09:44 PM
my post was my opinion, not the official reason why certain people were asked in the league.

skydog wanted familiar faces, and lets face, it doesn't get any familiar than going all the way back to the old Sideline community.

i myself refuse to play in leagues that do not have people from FOFC in them. the only draw of this league is that it has people in it i would take a peculiar satisfaction in beating.

there's nothing to get worked up about. the very nature of an online league is that it will have owners come and go. many of you will get your chance.

i don't see anyone throwing a hissy fit at the .400 forums because they aren't in the official ootp league.

Front Office Midget
10-22-2003, 11:07 PM
I've been around since the Sideline days, and I'm simply astounded that someone of my prestige did not receive an invitation to join this league. Three years of visiting DOWN THE DRAIN. ;)

Fritz
10-23-2003, 06:38 AM
FWIW, you have my favorite poster's name.

Front Office Midget
10-23-2003, 04:37 PM
My half a past per day appreciates it. :)

albionmoonlight
10-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Front Office Midget
My half a past per day appreciates it. :)

This sounds like some kind of weird Kafka-esque pseudo-horror story.

"Every day, this man only collects half a past."

Front Office Midget
10-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Hahahaha that made me laugh out loud here staring at a computer screen, don't I feel like a Marv.

Naturally, I meant half a post. :)