PDA

View Full Version : The Draft: FOF Generated players or TCY imports?

Vegas Vic
10-23-2003, 02:35 PM
What is your preference? The TCY imports will come with some background info, including their college stats.

cthomer5000
10-23-2003, 02:40 PM
pros of TCY imports: ability to see some stats and such

cons of TCY imports: the amount of backup players, players who never played and left after suspensions, and players who lost a lot of college time to injury entering the draft.

Edit: I abstain from voting on this one. see post below.

Bee
10-23-2003, 02:42 PM
I say TCY imports as long as the update to TCY is relatively quick after the release.

I think cthomer's cons have been addressed to some extent already and I really like the idea of seeing college stats just for the immersion factor.

HornedFrog Purple
10-23-2003, 02:46 PM
FOF generated.

cthomer5000
10-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Bee
I say TCY imports as long as the update to TCY is relatively quick after the release.

I think cthomer's cons have been addressed to some extent already and I really like the idea of seeing college stats just for the immersion factor.

You're probably right. I'm so on the fence on this that I'd like to officially abstain. I can go either way and feel good about it. Plus, this issue can always be revisitied.

We'll just have to keep an eye out for any of the talent-level discrepencies that hit FOF4 at the start (i.e. the TCY imports were absurdly deep).

Darkiller
10-23-2003, 02:54 PM
FOF generated

albionmoonlight
10-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Abstain.

I'd like to see if there is a big talent difference. If so, then I would have an opinion, depending on the difference. If not, then it does not matter to me.

Buzzbee
Originally posted by cthomer5000
You're probably right. I'm so on the fence on this that I'd like to officially abstain. I can go either way and feel good about it. Plus, this issue can always be revisitied.

We'll just have to keep an eye out for any of the talent-level discrepencies that hit FOF4 at the start (i.e. the TCY imports were absurdly deep).

I don't speak for the rest of the Group Think, but in our Kitty Hawk Group Think it appears to me that with TCY generated drafts there is a pretty even dropoff in talent. In the early rounds there is a pretty fair amount of talent to go around, by the middle rounds it has thinned out, and in later rounds you are picking scraps of meat of the bone.

There is one issue, but I don't know if it is with the TCY draft files, or the FOF4 draft AI. Certain positions seem to be a little deeper. Notably RB, FB, TE, and LB. I'm not sure if there are just that many more quality players at these positions, or if the AI doesn't value them as much and therefore doesn't pick them. If it's the AI, then this shouldn't be too much of an issue unless we let the AI draft our teams. If it is TCY generating too many quality players at these positions, then using the TCY files might be an issue.

My vote would be to use TCY for the added stats. We can always change if needed. Or we could even alternate. One year with TCY, one year with FOF generated files.

Bee
Originally posted by cthomer5000

very true, especially about the issue being revisited. Once we see how things work with TCY imports versus FOF generated, we might change our minds (one way or the other).

Subby
10-23-2003, 03:20 PM
FOF Generated, please - just seems cleaner...

GrantDawg
10-23-2003, 03:27 PM
We can wait and see. I'd like to use TCY, but not if there are possible flaws.

Ben E Lou
10-23-2003, 03:30 PM
I'd be a "wait and see" on this one, definitely. I'd prefer the extra info of TCY-generated drafts, but how long until the update, and the quality of the draft pools, will make a difference for me.

FBPro
10-23-2003, 03:37 PM
FOF generated, but would be nice to use TCY for future draft classes.

KWhit
10-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by SkyDog
I'd be a "wait and see" on this one, definitely. I'd prefer the extra info of TCY-generated drafts, but how long until the update, and the quality of the draft pools, will make a difference for me.

Yep. My thoughts too.

Daimyo
10-23-2003, 04:05 PM
I say we start with FOF Generated. If it turns out there are no drawbacks to using TCY Generated drafts we can always switch to them later.

I guess we're probably looking at at least 2 real time months from the time we even get FOF2k4 before we get to our first amateur draft anyway so plenty of time to sort this out later.

Samdari
10-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Everyone seems concerned about when the TCY update which exports FOF2004 draft files will be ready. I am guessing this will easily happen before we are ready to actually begin play.

mckerney
10-23-2003, 06:41 PM
FOF generated, TCY imports have never been the best when I've used them.

Vince
10-23-2003, 06:43 PM
I'd love to use TCY files, but I'm leery of the problems that TCY imported classes used to have.

Buzzbee's post has me optimistic, though.

TCY generated, as long as there are no flaws.

Chief Rum
10-23-2003, 06:53 PM
I think we should be cautious here, although I would like to revisit the issue a season or two in, assuming we go with FOF-generated. I think the added stats would be wonderful.

But the risk of TCY-related depth and talent errors is too high to trust initially and should be tested before we go into that.

So I say FOF-generated initially.

Chief Rum

Anthony
10-23-2003, 10:35 PM
this is a new game, and i don't want to have the league ground to a halt as we try to get bugs fixed as a result of importing draft files from TCY, so FOF generated for me.

let some other league be the guinea pig on this one, if TCY files don't screw up anything then we can switch to it.

cuervo72
10-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Abstain. I haven't worked with TCY files, so I don't feel qualified on this one.

Buccaneer
10-23-2003, 10:51 PM
FOF

TroyF
10-23-2003, 11:00 PM
fof

MIJB#19
10-24-2003, 04:06 AM
FOF generated.
Mainly bacause we'd need someone to go ahead in time and get draft files ready, that's just adding another link that can break up the chain of playing FOF.

Plus, though I can't really tell if this could be an issue, but not every player has TCY to FOF import experience. Is it fair to give TCY players a pre in the game?

Darkiller
10-24-2003, 04:44 AM
good point

KWhit
10-24-2003, 08:15 AM
After reading through some of the concerns you guys have, I think we should go FOF as well (at least to start with).

Senator
10-24-2003, 01:03 PM
FOF generated.

SackAttack
10-25-2003, 02:16 AM
I'd say we need to stick with FOF generated, unless we're going to have Vegas Vic handle not just commish duties, but also the TCY play to get each year's rookies. That's the only fair solution if we use TCY, since that brings everybody to the table equally as far as exposure to the TCY kids goes.

cthomer5000
10-25-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by SackAttack
I'd say we need to stick with FOF generated, unless we're going to have Vegas Vic handle not just commish duties, but also the TCY play to get each year's rookies. That's the only fair solution if we use TCY, since that brings everybody to the table equally as far as exposure to the TCY kids goes.

Agreed. We probably don't all own TCY, so I don't think ANY of us should have the ability to view the TCY save game file.

I'm leaning more and more towards us starting with FOF, and then maybe coming back to this issue a few seasons from now.

Fritz
10-25-2003, 07:45 AM
I like TCY guys because they are little less cookie cutter, but they seem to have more talent. I prefer a lower overall pool of talent, so that the stars are stars.

so FOF generated.

Blackadar
10-25-2003, 01:27 PM
FOF generated players. Some don't have TCY, so that's gotta be out.

Vince
10-26-2003, 06:52 PM
I agree with most of the sentiments here...but if the thought that owning TCY might be an advantage is what's keeping us from using it, why not use TCY generated draft files that have been made available to the public by one of the non-league members? The league files I know of all come from people in the league, but I'm sure we could find someone outside the league who wouldn't mind us using their files.

Kodos
10-27-2003, 12:53 PM
FOF.

Anthony
11-03-2003, 12:12 AM
i have to say let's use the FOF generated draft. there's a little more features to get information from regarding potential draftees than in previous versions of the game, so it's not like we'd be using a limited information system like how it is in FOF2, for example. using TCY has it's advantages, but the steps and procedures needed to implement that into our league doesn't really make it worthwhile for now. i can change my mind on this once the league is settled in.