PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a team name for my team?

MIJB#19
11-06-2003, 03:39 AM
At this point, I guess it's not clear whether it will be possible to relocate "my" team to Maassluis, Netherlands, but if that will be possible, what team names would others find neat and/or fitting in the league?

My own idea was to go with Maassluis as location name, though I guess Holland would be geographically correct and more NFL apporved.

Further more, if it's going to be Maassluis, the nicknames I can think of most fittingly are:
- Anglers (like in my fantasy football team(s), referring to Maassluis' history of fishermen)
- Tuggers (referring to Maassluis' current plans to make the canals in Maassluis become a tug boat museum, though the nature of "tugging" could be missinterpretended towards the kleenex quote)

Of course with Holland, more can be done, like with:
- Dike, Millmen (anything referring to how my country looks)
- Pirates, Captains (anything referring to my country's history of travellers over oceans and seas (look Fritz!))
- Reds, Blowers (anything referring to Americans (wrong) image)

Personally, I'm leaning towards Maassluis and preferable tuggers.

In case Fritz and cuervo think they should go ahead of time and post helmet images, Maassluis' colors are blue-white-blue, while Holland should probably be orange-white-blue.

Fritz
11-06-2003, 05:53 AM
have you considered the names "Water Bong" "Bong Pipes" "Hash" or "Legal Hookers"? I know that is what most people I know of think of when they think of the Netherlands.

Personally, I like anything that goes well with "nether regions." Tuggers, as you have noted, could be close here.

Bee
11-06-2003, 06:24 AM
"The Dikes" sounds good to me.

Alf
11-06-2003, 07:09 AM
In honor of the soon to be defunct (or already done) Amsterdam Admirals, I would choose the Admirals.

cuervo72
11-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Let's see...what do I "know" about Holland. Tulips, Dutch Boys (got a logo already), the van Breeschootens, Dutch Wonderland, cruise ships, wooden shoes, cheese...

Maassluis Mashers? The Traders? Seafarers? Poseidons? Tridents? Mariners? Navigators?

Buccaneer
11-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Go nautical, like Mariners. The Dutch ruled the waves of commerce for short while in its history.

cuervo72
11-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MIJB#19

In case Fritz and cuervo think they should go ahead of time and post helmet images, Maassluis' colors are blue-white-blue, while Holland should probably be orange-white-blue.

I think a medium blue helmet with white and orange stripes, with some orange in the logo would be a nice combo.

Um, kind of like the old Broncos uniforms :D

Alf
11-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Cuervo <= I agree on the color choice. I liked the old Broncos unis

Fritz
11-07-2003, 07:15 AM
I prefer an Orange base. When I think of the netherlands I think of orange.

cuervo72
11-07-2003, 07:27 AM
True, I think that too. Let me try orange first, then blue.

Fritz
11-07-2003, 07:33 AM
Something like this:

edit: added 30 second logo

http://www.buffworks.com/bw/IHOF/Maassluis/homeuni.gif

http://www.buffworks.com/bw/IHOF/Maassluis/awayuni.gif

Buccaneer
11-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Put a Dutch Fluyte instead of a tugboat and I think that would be cool.

cuervo72
11-07-2003, 08:39 AM
I have a logo that I've swiped and modified a little that I think will be appropriate. Even had an "M" in it, but that can be removed if need be. I had found some pics of Hudson's Half Moon (did a little research), but I couldn't make anything good from it.

http://cuervo72.majecc.net/logos/Maassluis-Mariners-Logo.jpg

Fritz
11-07-2003, 08:54 AM
That logo would work well, but I would drop the brown for more orange

cuervo72
11-07-2003, 10:19 AM
I can do that. The original logo had maroon waves and a light steely-blue color for the highlights on the ship. I tried at first to make the waves orange, but then thought it looked better with the orange on the ship instead, so I attempted a darker orange for the waves.

Howabout something more like this:
http://cuervo72.majecc.net/logos/Maassluis-Mariners-Logo-02.jpg

cuervo72
11-07-2003, 10:57 AM
And the helmets:

http://cuervo72.majecc.net/helmets/Maassluis-Mariners-01.jpghttp://cuervo72.majecc.net/helmets/Maassluis-Mariners-02.jpg

I went off of the base helmet for the old Broncos, so there are stripes, unlike in Fritz's above. The orange helmet is basically the Browns with some color tweaks.

MIJB#19
11-11-2003, 02:53 AM
You go away for 4 (more like 5) days and this is what happens, Fritz comes up with the Amsterdam Admirals uniforms... (no really, it looks pretty simialr, especially the orange jersey with blue stripes.)

Concidering the nickname, on second thought I don't think I'd wanna run a team linked with hookers and/or junkies, so those will be of the boat (literally if we'd play with cuervo's ship logo).

And to go with Bucs and Firtz' comments, I'm from now on only open to ideas about nicknames linking to the Dutch golden ages, when the Dutch (at least as what I've learned in history class) were the most powerful country in the world, at least when "we" were on the seas...
(And since Maassluis has it's "nautical" history of its own, though a very dull and unknown one, the team being named Maassluis could still work...)

Anyway, thanks for the input so far, I think I'll break the ice in a few days, particularily if I have had the time to figure out wheter the FOF2004 demo works on my laptop.

MIJB#19
11-27-2003, 04:16 AM
Just bump it.

Samdari
11-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Don't know if you saw in the other thread, but Kodos came up with the Manatees. This is a great name. Its nautical, it starts with M, its a plural of an animal name.

MIJB#19
11-28-2003, 04:45 AM
I've seen it, Samdari, but thanks for reminding me.

cuervo72
11-28-2003, 07:36 AM
Mastraisers? Marauders? Man-of-War?

Samdari
11-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Obviously MIJB, by your not shouting to the world, "Stop! I have found my name." that you have somehow missed the Manatee train. This is, undoubtedly, the coolest name that has been suggested/adopted for ANY team (I mean, someone actually thought that Fizz sounded cool?). I demand that you adopt it at once.

The Manatee is so cool. It's fat. It never moves. It spends its whole life in water. Its what I want to be when I grow up.

Anthony
11-29-2003, 01:43 PM
what about Vikings? sure, not original for a football team, but as far as team names having something to do with the geography of the area, this is a perfect match.

i say anthing involving anything Norse or related to Nordic heritage works.

MIJB#19
12-01-2003, 01:18 AM
Okay, opening a dictionairy English-Dutch helped me find the following options:

Mercantilers or Mercantilists (whichever is a correct word)
Mercers
Merchantmen

I think I'll do some research on whatever Manatee is and then make a choice.

All in all, I think the biggest issue is finding out how to buy the game without having a credit card, but in the end I hope the name becomes a bigger issue...

Vince
12-01-2003, 01:47 AM
Manatee - Any of various herbivorous aquatic mammals of the genus Trichechus, having paddlelike front flippers and a horizontally flattened tail and found in warm coastal waters of Florida, northern South America, West Africa, and the Caribbean.

According to dictionary.com.

http://www.outoftheearth.com/manatee.gif
http://www.repamerica.org/fl/manatee.jpg

Edit: By the way, I find myself agreeing with Samdari on this one :)

Fritz
12-01-2003, 05:57 AM
a turd with flippers

Samdari
12-01-2003, 07:27 AM
Those are not the best pictures Vince. Most Manatees look far less like Warren Sapp.

Or do they?

Vince
12-01-2003, 02:56 PM
I came up with those on short notice...Google image searches aren't all they're cracked up to be.

MIJB#19
12-03-2003, 08:02 AM
You think I want this to be associated with?

Sorry, but I'm going with one of the three (or four) options I gave above.

I want confirmation of the Mercantile-something question, which one (if any) is correctly spelled.

Though Mercers would fit best as a short name, how'd a vote sound for this issue? :)

MIJB#19
12-05-2003, 04:45 AM
Doing some additional dictionairy "reading", I came up with the following 5 names:

Dutch Drifters
Holland Harbour Hauliers
Maassluis Merchantmen
Meuse/Maas Mercantilist
Rijnmond Redeemers

Should I poll this, or don't people care about the name?

cuervo72
12-05-2003, 07:20 AM
I like the Maassluis Merchantmen.

Buzzbee
12-05-2003, 10:00 PM
You posted in another thread:

Originally posted by MIJB#19
Still mulling...
How does Maassluis Mullers sound?;)

And I replied (copying here in case you missed it):

Originally posted by Buzzbee
Or the Maassluis Maulers.

maul (môl)
noun
1) A heavy, long-handled hammer used especially to drive stakes, piles, or wedges.

2) A heavy hammer having a wedge-shaped head and used for splitting logs.

Sports.
1) A play in Rugby in which a mass of players gathers around a ball carrier being tackled and attempts to gain possession of the ball when it is released.

2) The mass of players during such a play.

verb - mauled, also malled maul·ing, mall·ing, mauls, malls

1) To injure by or as if by beating: The boxer mauled the other fighter. The critics mauled the novelist's first effort.

2) To handle roughly: The package was mauled by the careless messenger.

3) To split (wood) with a maul and wedge.

Of course it doesn't mesh with the nautical theme, but sure works for football.

TRO
12-06-2003, 10:55 AM
My 2 cents, I like the Merchantmen name.

MIJB#19
12-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Okay, It's final:

The team name is:
[drumroll]

Maassluis Merchantmen

Thank you for being patient for 32 days...

Alf
12-08-2003, 07:10 AM
Sure the Merchantmen will buy the Vineyards some of their products ;)