ewarrior18
10-21-2000, 01:32 PM
A play editor.!!!1

Darkiller
10-21-2000, 04:59 PM
i know...i would like that so badly...

MIJB#19
10-22-2000, 10:54 AM
For what reason do you gusy want a Player Editor?
To turn up Kurt Warner's skills?

NoMyths
10-22-2000, 11:04 AM
Ain't happening, unless EA gets someone to rewrite the code (if my understanding of the current situation is correct).

Still, that is the ONE feature that I'd like to see most...and not even so that I could edit the ratings; I'd just like to be able to change the names of some of the players. Obvious reasons for this of course -- from the most vain intentions (putting myself in the game http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/smile.gif ) to the most necessary (Mercury Suckle? How can you have a player named Mercury Suckle?!)

NoMyths

Ben E Lou
10-22-2000, 12:03 PM
I for one LOVE the fact that we DON'T have a player editor for FOF2. A BIG reason for me is that we can KNOW that when we're talking on this board that Dean Houston (for example) wasn't created using an editor. Also, I don't like the temptation of using the editor to look at "real" future potential. Its great that the ONLY way we have to evaluate our players is through the eyes of our scouts or by their performances on the field.

Mike1409
10-22-2000, 01:36 PM
I agree also. It would be too easy, to make a change to include, a highly rated RB just when you need one in the draft.

Now a PLAY editor would be good, and computer coaches that changed their game plans based on the strength of their teams.

Tony
10-22-2000, 01:46 PM
Why would we want a player editor? Maybe to play FOF2 with updated rosters while waiting for FOF3. If an editor was out, you know someone would take the liberty to do a full-blown roster update. Hell, I might forget about FOF3 if I had that. http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/smile.gif

RawIsDan
10-23-2000, 12:00 AM
I for one, would WANT a player editor.

I could edit player names and abilites to what I feel they should be.

I could re-enter old players such as Marino and Elway among others, creating a custom made roster with my favorite guys.

I did that with FPS Pro series and it made the game more fun.

Hurst2112
10-23-2000, 02:07 AM
id say no to a player editior. although, i could see a use for inserting your own name into a rookies slot. that would be enough for me.

------------------
"attention all planets of the Solar Federation, we have assumed control...we have assumed control...we have assumed control

lighthousekeeper
10-23-2000, 03:42 AM
Along the same lines, how cool would it be if Jim used people's names from these forums to include in TCY?

Answer: somewhat cool.

"A letter of intent was signed today... Coming out of Teddy Roosevelt HighSchool, Springfield, Mississippi, 5'6", 250 lb punter, Mr. Hell Atlantic!!!!!!!!"

*The crowd goes wild at the pep rally.*

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/smile.gif http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/wink.gif http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/smile.gif

WebEwbank
10-23-2000, 09:48 AM
1. A nickname utility which allows you to add a nickname to a player's name.

2. A better search for recommended players - allowing you to pick specific strengths - e.g. a 3 year WR with Catching > 90/95.

3. An option (using the hard disk) to save ALL player year-by-year stats. This could be invoked once a year or a as general option at gamestart time.

4. Position coaches and/or coordinators who can invest coaching time on specific players and specific abilities within those players - maybe even allowing a downside risk.

Ah, I guess that's more than ONE thing...

wbonnell
10-23-2000, 10:43 AM
How about HTML generation of reports?
And what about non-modal window (the ability to open up more than 1 windows at a time)?

WebEwbank
10-23-2000, 11:43 AM
The multiple windows idea is great, and very basic; toggling between roster, player, recommended, and trade would really rock.

OceanMachine
10-23-2000, 12:59 PM
I think he said PLAY editor, not PLAYER editor, as in something to design plays with (ala FBPro).

I'm not in favor of either, although the player editor would likely be trivial from a programming standpoint. Neither one would add anything to the game as far as I'm concerned.

sachmo71
10-23-2000, 01:41 PM
A stop clock play! Maybe some fake options, or just some trick plays.

------------------
"It's ok to cut a kicker in the middle of a season!"

TheDawgsAreOut
10-23-2000, 04:51 PM
Tony - that's exactly why I would like a player editor. I can't open up a video game without immediately attempting to update the rosters. Plus, we could change Glenn Conway to Shaun King, for example. Good call lighthouse on inclusion of our names.

------------------
Hmm, Pac-10 champion Stanford gave up 509 total yards of offense to Tuiasosopo; I wonder how 3-4 Stanford will do against him.

WebEwbank
10-24-2000, 08:47 AM
I can't resist.

A roster import facility and a whole set of key historical rosters. Granular to the team , rather than league level, so that we could face off the 70s Steelers against the 60s Packers against the 90s 49ers. Or start with the Pack pre-Vince, the Curtain pre-Noll, etc..

A draft import facility and a whole set of historical drafts. I realize that this would take beaucoup time, and I recognize Jim's desire to control his product, but with a simple data entry tool, we could each pound in a year or two's woth of rooks.

A little more role-playing by introducing agents, players with legal problems, and a commissioner.

sachmo71
10-24-2000, 01:21 PM
No legal problems! I like my fantasy land where my players are GOOD and don't go around 'not' stabbing people and shooting their wives and getting caught with "what you would call a roach"! AHHHHH!

------------------
Lizards and snakes are cool!

MIJB#19
10-25-2000, 06:29 AM
I still see no reason for a player editor.

All the CPU teams changes their rosters anyways.
Just immagine to make the current Redskins roster. About half of the players will be released before the game has started!

It would also make it too easy to cheat in this game...

MIJB#19
10-25-2000, 06:32 AM
A play editor would be very nice though...

QuikSand
10-25-2000, 09:36 AM
Isn't the general solution to most of these battles the use of "options" defined by the gamer?

Do you want to use a player editor? Fine, only from this point on, your game will be marked with a figurative asterisk that will be visible to anyone who sees the game or its output.

Do you want your game to come complete with off-field problems, like contract holdouts and legal troubles for players? Fine, click that radio button-- someone else might prefer not to do so.

Do you want your game to have ongoing inflation, or should the dollar values stay static? You decide.

And so on... for the most part, I support adding "options" to the game, and letting the gamer decide if/how to incorporate them.

Kevin
10-25-2000, 09:50 AM
The one thing that's missing:

....the product release!!!

------------------
It seems more like today than it did all day yesterday.

OldSchool
10-26-2000, 03:10 AM
Didn't he say he wanted a play editor?

[This message has been edited by OldSchool (edited 10-26-2000).]

ewarrior18
10-27-2000, 09:08 PM
I think it would be cool if some one wrote a play editor and roster data creator

Buddy Grant
10-27-2000, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by QuikSand:
Isn't the general solution to most of these battles the use of "options" defined by the gamer?

Do you want to use a player editor? Fine, only from this point on, your game will be marked with a figurative asterisk that will be visible to anyone who sees the game or its output.

Do you want your game to come complete with off-field problems, like contract holdouts and legal troubles for players? Fine, click that radio button-- someone else might prefer not to do so.

Do you want your game to have ongoing inflation, or should the dollar values stay static? You decide.

And so on... for the most part, I support adding "options" to the game, and letting the gamer decide if/how to incorporate them.

Very good point & I agree. Jim has mentioned some interesting options he was considering in some of the interviews, and FOF2 already has some great examples. The option to get fired for one!