PDA

View Full Version : TCY wishlist - switching schools as coach

dawgfan
10-21-2000, 12:07 AM
This has probably been discussed already, but in case it hasn't, here goes:

I'm assuming the default setup for TCY has the user selecting the college team of his choice to run. This would be great - I know I'm dying to try running my beloved Huskies - but I'd also like to see another option. I think it would be great if you could choose an option at the start where you have to work your way up the coaching ladder, so to speak. I.E., when you start, you are given a limited choice of jobs that are available, from programs that aren't doing well at the time. Based on your performance, you might get offers from other schools. Of course, if you change jobs too frequently, that may hurt your reputation, and perhaps hurt your credibility in recruiting.

I think this would offer greater replay value to the game, and an interesting challenge that you might not otherwise take on.

Of course, this might be waaay too much added data and code for Jim to consider worthwhile.

Anybody know exactly how Jim is planning on handling this part of the game?

P.S. Here's hoping Jim releases TCY in February rather than waiting for next season to start in August. Hell, I'll send him money now for the game!

NYFAN
10-21-2000, 03:54 PM
A guess... Well, that's kind of how FOF2 worked... You only received offers from teams in the next "echelon" basicly. I would think that if you started with a bad team, and brought them to mediocrity, you would not get offers from the big name teams until you really did something great, such as a big bowl appearance. Just a guess though.

------------------
<A HREF="Http://knicks.rivals.com" TARGET=_blank>Http://knicks.rivals.com
</A> Sports Writer

lighthousekeeper
10-22-2000, 02:58 AM
dawg: did you get your idea from championship manager? CM sorta has this feature. well similar at least. i inherited a division 2 team, and could not land a premier coaching job until i built my reputation.

Anyway, it is a great idea, dawg.

BillsfanUK
10-24-2000, 03:28 AM
Well *hopefully* you will easily be able to implement the challenge yourself dawgfan.

I will start out with a struggling program and work my way up if the game allows. Of course this relies upon self-restraint but working your way up the coaching ladder naturally would be more fulfilling than just starting out at Penn St or someone like that. I always start a career this way with FOF (usually with the Bengals).

dawgfan
10-24-2000, 04:14 PM
Yeah, you could certainly implement the challenge yourself, but I like the idea of the game giving you a limited set of options to choose from based on how you perform. If you do real well at Fresno State, and then see an offer from Oklahoma, there would be a sense of accomplishment. Alternatively, if you don't do well, you get canned and have to find a job at Eastern Washington or something along those lines. Of course, the options would tie into how those teams were doing themselves at the time.

Having it be part of the program would make it feel more dynamic. If it's not there, I'll certainly try raising a lower program out of the dumps. But only after taking the Huskies to a National Title or two... http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/smile.gif

TheDawgsAreOut
10-24-2000, 05:11 PM
... or three or four. Nice idea, Dawg. That would really enhance the realism of the game. I'm sure you could do it yourself, but it would be nice to have the computer do it for you. Or maybe you could limit yourself to only jobs that opened up last year and hired people with no head coaching experience. Something to play with, but definitely a good idea.

------------------
Hmm, Pac-10 champion Stanford gave up 509 total yards of offense to Tuiasosopo; I wonder how 3-4 Stanford will do against him.

Twisted Pitster
10-28-2000, 06:25 PM
I have not read of being able to recruit from Junior Colleges. If not, this may be something to add in future versions.

The juco would not compete with Division One teams for high schoolers. They would provide better developed players for a shorter time period.

Twisted Pitster

dawgfan
10-28-2000, 07:50 PM
That's a good one Pitster.

Don't know if Jim is planning to do this, but another nice feature in recruiting would be creating successful recruiting pipelines with certain H.S. and Juco's, depending on how you've done with players there in the past. For example, you recruit a guy from school A, that player does well, gets playing time, and the coach's reputation in recruiting with that school is increased, making it easier to recruit guys from there. Conversely, you recruit a guy from school A, he doesn't do well, doesn't get playing time that he might've expected, your recruiting reputation with that school decreases.

TheDawgsAreOut
11-01-2000, 05:01 PM
I assume, Dawgfan, that like me, you're thinking about how John Anderson was followed cross country by Rich Alexis, and they will hopefully both be joined by Charles Frederick? That'd make sense for Jim to do that in the same mold as free agents refusing to negotiate with you in FOF.

------------------
Hmm, top ranked Sooners and once defeated Dawgs. Who else smells a rematch of the '85 Orange Bowl?