PDA

View Full Version : Ryan S is out

Vegas Vic
11-23-2003, 08:44 PM
Ryan has informed me that he will be unable to participate in the IHOF. So there is now a vacancy in the league.

I'll leave it up to the other 31 league members to nominate and select a replacement.

Don't shoot the messenger.

:D

cthomer5000
11-23-2003, 10:21 PM
...of this world!

eh. that sucks. I suppose we should just advertise as any other league would, ask for basic info/testimonial from people, then pick a winner.

Chief Rum
11-24-2003, 12:40 AM
Personally, I think this is a good point for Vegas Vic to do some choosing. I think we can and should throw out suggestions, but it should be up to Vic who gets in. As the commissioner, he would be in the best position to judge everyone and make a choice.

I wish I had a suggestion, but I wouldn't know where to begin. I like the people we have in, but no one leaps out that should be in a league like this that hasn't already turned us down. :)

CR

Vince
11-24-2003, 12:48 AM
Personally, I'd rather have nothing to do with the selection process...don't want to step on any toes.

However, I'd think with Chubby's return to the board, he'd be a good candidate.

Ben E Lou
11-24-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Vince
However, I'd think with Chubby's return to the board, he'd be a good candidate. To me, that is an absolute no-brainer.

Alf
11-24-2003, 05:15 AM
If you guys need someone, and as I already said at the very beginning of this forming league, I'd be very happy that you consider my application as a owner.

You can be assured of full participation. I have been part of a FBPro 98 league for 5 seasons now (2.5 calendar years) and the guys do not regret it.

Alf

Alf
11-24-2003, 05:17 AM
dola - Plus I'll be in the Frequent Flyers Division with another French team ;)

cthomer5000
11-24-2003, 05:56 AM
I would like to endorse Alf. Aside from his FBPro league, he has shown a great deal of dedication with the TCY Indiana village challenge. He was also the first established board member to request to be in consideration for any vacancies here, and he's also a great geographic fit.

That being said, Chubby also seems like a good candidate (if interested), and I would defer to the commissioner or the rest of the league on the decision making process.

I think now might also be a good time to establish a formal waiting list for the league, so we know who the next 1-3 potential owners are at all times, and could be ready to jump in at any seasons end.

Buzzbee
11-24-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by cthomer5000
I think now might also be a good time to establish a formal waiting list for the league, so we know who the next 1-3 potential owners are at all times, and could be ready to jump in at any seasons end.

DITTO.

Fritz
11-24-2003, 07:27 AM
Ryan is such a poof

Buzzbee
11-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Just some thoughts on this:

I think we should probably develop some sort of process for replacing members, as it is inevitable that people will need to drop out. Here is a proposed process I'll throw out for group discussion.

When an owner leaves the league and a replacement member is needed, existing league members should nominate potential owners for consideration. The group will then vote on the potential replacement/s. The voting period will last for one week to give owners ample time to make an informed decision, and to make sure everyone has an opportunity to vote.

If no nominee receives a majority vote (50% +1) then there will be a "run-off" between the top two vote getters. The winner of this run-off will be the new owner.

If there are several positions that need to be filled, the above process will be applied to each position in sequence. Voting times can be adjusted as necessary.

Or, we can just put up a sign up list and make it first come, first serve.

Darkiller
11-24-2003, 10:36 AM
I'd love to have Alf in my division

cuervo72
11-24-2003, 11:14 AM
I can support Alf's application.

Kodos
11-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Alf would be a good choice.

cthomer5000
11-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Just some thoughts on this:

I think we should probably develop some sort of process for replacing members, as it is inevitable that people will need to drop out. Here is a proposed process I'll throw out for group discussion.

When an owner leaves the league and a replacement member is needed, existing league members should nominate potential owners for consideration. The group will then vote on the potential replacement/s. The voting period will last for one week to give owners ample time to make an informed decision, and to make sure everyone has an opportunity to vote.

If no nominee receives a majority vote (50% +1) then there will be a "run-off" between the top two vote getters. The winner of this run-off will be the new owner.

If there are several positions that need to be filled, the above process will be applied to each position in sequence. Voting times can be adjusted as necessary.

Or, we can just put up a sign up list and make it first come, first serve.

The nomination process just seems like a major pain in the ass. But I've got a thought about how to potentially combine the nomination/first come-first serve options. Stealing a term from credit card junk mailers, maybe it would be best to "pre-approve" potential members, and have a list of people ready to jump in. It'd be nice to see familiar names in the queue, rather than taking on SuperNoob (2 posts) as an owner at some point.

Things worth considering:
1. How long they've been a member here/how involved they are with FOFC
2. Any relevant "proof" they can offer that they won't fail the league (maintain a dynasty, have been in other leagues, etc).
3. Willingness of others in the league to endorse them, and their reasoning for doing so.

BTW, I see people tossing out Chubby's name. Has anyone asked him if he's interested yet?

any thoughts?

Kodos
11-24-2003, 12:43 PM
I agree with cthomer. We don't want a long drawn out process to occur each time somebody drops out.

Alf
11-26-2003, 03:42 AM
Thanks for your support guys ! Any news on the vacant spot yet ?

cuervo72
11-26-2003, 07:01 AM
I say we put it to a vote :)

Really we need some way to streamline some of these decisions though, or at least some process of officially determining something (in this case a list of potential replacements) or narrowing down options before going to a league-wide vote. Something like an owner's commitee, made up of 2, 4 or 8 (maybe too many) owners along with the Commissioner.

Bee
11-26-2003, 07:07 AM
Alf has my vote. He's always been my favorite alien. :D

cthomer5000
11-26-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by cuervo72
I say we put it to a vote :)

Really we need some way to streamline some of these decisions though, or at least some process of officially determining something (in this case a list of potential replacements) or narrowing down options before going to a league-wide vote. Something like an owner's commitee, made up of 2, 4 or 8 (maybe too many) owners along with the Commissioner.

sounds like a good idea... Of course we then have to decide how to determine that comittee. I'd say just pick some of the most active members, in order to speed up the process. Aside from Vegas Vic, SkyDog would seem like an obvious choice.

I'd volunteer to be a part as well, if wanted/needed.

MIJB#19
11-26-2003, 08:29 AM
If 3ric is interested, I think he and Alf (already mentioned a lot) should be the main candidates to fit into the division.

cthomer5000
11-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by MIJB#19
If 3ric is interested, I think he and Alf (already mentioned a lot) should be the main candidates to fit into the division.

we could make their career records as coaches of the TCY Indiana Village challenge the tiebreaker. :D

cthomer5000
11-26-2003, 08:54 AM
The more I think about this, the more I think Alf should be named the 32nd owner. He's the only one who's come in here (a few times) and expressed interest in the league. There's also really nothing to question in terms of his credentials.

I think we should do whatever we need to make him official, then line up our next 2-3 replacements soon after.

Samdari
11-26-2003, 09:12 AM
So we have 3ric, Alf and Chubby as candidates. As it is distasteful to me (and I suspect others) to discuss their relative merits in a public forum, and I doubt anyone will object to any of the three, I propose we have either a random draw (my pick) or a vote to slot the three into the 32nd team and the first two spots on the waiting list.

Also, with all of the hard work that went into the divisional alignment, I think we can fairly easily put geographic requirements on the 'new' owners. For example, this 32nd team, in the frequent flyer division, should be at least 1000 miles from any point in the Coninental 48. Owners who take over teams (and I suspect that there will be at least one more drop out before we even start, and certainly thereafter) should need to either keep their teams where situated (for, say, two years) or at least pick somewhere that makes sense geographically.

Anthony
11-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Chubby dropping off the face of the planet and returning after how long of an absence concerns me. for as big a role he palyed in the FOFC community, i expected more from him.

but being that he does seem to be "back", i'd vote for him. among the "who's who" of FOFC greats he's up there.

behind me and ahead of Subby.

Anthony
11-29-2003, 01:33 PM
although i have to say if wignasty ever comes back i say we kick out Quicksand or someone else with a boring personality and give his spot to wignasty.

and is jason tobias in this league? if he isn't i take back my vote for Chubby and transfer it to tobias.

Anthony
11-29-2003, 01:47 PM
now that i found out that Alf is from France, my vote goes to him.

not much of an "international" league if like 4 teams are not from this country.

Darkiller's idea for scheduling an "inter-france" game would be awesome come playoff time.

and since Ryan S. - a team from Scotland - is out we should replace an international team with another international team. sorry wignasty, chubby and jason tobias.

3ric
11-29-2003, 01:55 PM
If it comes to choosing between me and Alf at any point, I'll abstain in favor of Alf since I've already got a spot in the CFL (even though I'm honored to be named). Besides, Alf's is such a great buddy that I wish him to be part of a good league.

If you get another vacancy later, then I'll be happy to join him and MIJB in their division... ;)

Vince
11-29-2003, 02:34 PM
I'd say cuervo's idea is a good one, as we're likely to have to deal with this sort of thing in the future. The best scenario seems to be having a small committee of owners who are in charge of voting on who gets in, after any league members nominate potential candidates.

In my mind, there are two set-ups that work well, either a 5 person group (for example, SkyDog, cthomer5000, TroyF, Fritz and Vegas Vic), or perhaps one representative from each division and then Vegas Vic as well.

The process can be very straightforward...someone in the league nominates someone, they post to accept the nomination, and they're in the running. Once we get to 3-5 candidates, we put it to a vote by the committee. So it's not just a straight 'pick someone,' they could vote like they do for awards, giving people 3 points for a first place vote, 2 for a second place vote, and 1 for a third place vote (or we could modify that if necessary). It'd be a little more drawn out than a straight pick, but it could make people feel better about not making it, as I know that I'm not a fan of excluding anyone.

Just my rambling $0.02.

wbonnell
11-29-2003, 11:08 PM
looks like you need a formal waiting list...

MrBug708
11-30-2003, 04:52 AM
3ric....pimping yourself to the top league?!?

3ric
11-30-2003, 06:11 AM
Hey hey now, I got nominated by MIJB... no pimping here at all!

Easy Mac
11-30-2003, 06:58 PM
If you guys ever need a #32 a few months down the road, feel free to look my way. I've never been in a successful online league, but I think I could contribute well in this one mainly because I visit the FOFC so often, that I'd be hounded if I slacked off.

But if you ever need a 32nd I'd be honored to be picked up. Thank you.

SackAttack
11-30-2003, 10:44 PM
Either Alf or Chubby would be excellent choices, and I'd have no gripes with either one of them getting the spot.

Vegas Vic
12-01-2003, 01:22 AM
I'm going to stay out of this, as I do not believe it's in my purview to select someone else. As I stated earlier, it will be up to the other 31 members to select a replacement.

Vince
12-01-2003, 01:37 AM
Ok, well if Vegas Vic wants to stay out of this, that's fine by me. We should probably make a decision though :)

I'd say that since Alf has shown interest from the get go, and the fact that he'd be a great manager, he should take over. Then we'll be full. I think the only reason this has been a 'slow' process is because since we're not underway, we don't have as many people checking this often to see what's going on.

And here I started posting in this thread saying I didn't want to be involved :)

Alf
12-02-2003, 07:09 AM
I would gladly take over as the Bordeaux Vineyards in the Frequent Flyers Division !

Darkiller
12-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Ok then let's make a decision.
I appreciate Chubby a lot and I'm 100% convinced he'd be great but Alf is a friend and would just love to have him in my league (in my division for instance!).

so my vote goes to Alf on this one.

cuervo72
12-02-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm behind Alf here too, he's shown the interest and I'm sure he'd be a solid owner.

I think it is probably time to put this to a formalized vote, either as part of a poll or in a yea/nay thread. Lacking an Owners Committee at this time, I would say it should be the Commish who should start the poll.

Bee
12-02-2003, 12:32 PM
Like I said before, Alf has my vote. I also would put a good word in for Easy Mac for any future openings.

As far as I can see, Chubby hasn't shown any interest in joining (at least not publicly).

Vegas Vic
12-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Alf will be the 32nd member of the league.

Welcome aboard.

Alf
12-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Thanks guys => on my way to the Frequent Flyers Division

Darkiller
12-03-2003, 05:32 AM
You're in for two toughs games every season buddy !!