PDA

View Full Version : Any idea when will the league start ?

Darkiller
12-01-2003, 11:40 AM
I don't know if it's been said in some thread.
Just wanted to know if a timetable for the league has been set...
I'm ready to play whenever we decide to start obviously.
No problem if we wait until early 2004.

Vince
12-01-2003, 02:58 PM
I don't think we have a set date or anything, but I believe we're kicking around the idea of starting in January.

Between figuring out all the team names, the 32nd player, and testing out the dry run of multiplayer, we still have a bit to go anyways, and the Holidays are always a hectic time.

Kodos
12-01-2003, 03:42 PM
It seems like it makes sense to wait until after the holidays.

cthomer5000
12-01-2003, 04:01 PM
I would suggest the second week of January.

Daimyo
12-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Good. That will give you guys plenty of time to practice saying "no" for when SubbyShark comes offering a trade. :)

Bee
12-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by cthomer5000
I would suggest the second week of January.

I agree.

Kodos
12-02-2003, 01:05 PM
In case this might have any bearing, I am moving on the weekend of January 10th, so I may have trouble fulfilling my duties around that time.

Anthony
12-02-2003, 07:12 PM
mid-january works for me. gives me time to buy the game and gives us time to finally get our own webspace. things will get messy and ugly if we use this one tiny forum for an entire league, especially one as esteemed as IHOF. i'm surprised more hasn't been done in this area. this is the one area that needs immediate action, and all we get are people concerned with creating unnecessary commitee's for a league that hasn't officially started nor has its own website.

ugh.

cthomer5000
12-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Hell Atlantic
mid-january works for me. gives me time to buy the game and gives us time to finally get our own webspace. things will get messy and ugly if we use this one tiny forum for an entire league, especially one as esteemed as IHOF. i'm surprised more hasn't been done in this area. this is the one area that needs immediate action, and all we get are people concerned with creating unnecessary commitee's for a league that hasn't officially started nor has its own website.

ugh.

Does a website somehow make the league more "real" than this forum does right now?

And in what why this committee unnecessary? Will things move faster if every single decision is put to a 32 owner vote?

Anthony
12-02-2003, 07:26 PM
no - thing will move faster when we occasioanlly get an issue to vote on that the commish deems worthy. other than that this is an online league - i don't know how many (if any) you've been in but the very nature of being in a league is to vote on issues. if you find this to be a chore you can play the solo version. many who take online leagues seriously don't find league votes to be a pain in the ass affair that all 32 team don't need to concern themselves with.

and there's no such thing as a online league that is reduced to using a small little forum on another website. even your everyday, fly-by-night league that gets started on a whim has it's own website. if we're going to be as elitist as we think the league should be, it's only natural the league gets its own website.

i forgive you, because it's painfully obvious you lack online league experience. you obviously don't know about reading "front-page news" on the league website, or having clickable links to various league/team information. it's ok.

cuervo72
12-02-2003, 07:27 PM
I guess HA's point is that the commish can take care of these things with a little input. As long as Vegas Vic is comfortable with that, so be it.

I do like the idea of nailing down some web space for the league, to house box scores, stats, important info about the league etc. I think it will be a lot more easy to manage that way then having a sticky thread with a list of links to reference threads for instance.

Anthony
12-02-2003, 07:32 PM
"I do like the idea of nailing down some web space for the league, to house box scores, stats, important info about the league etc. I think it will be a lot more easy to manage that way then having a sticky thread with a list of links to reference threads for instance."

exactly. obviously someone who has online league experience.

i point you in the direction of the FOBL, whose site is tops, bar none. great job they did on their site. when you see that league website, then you can come back to me and we'll see if you still want to keep this little cubby-hole of a forum as our league "home".

Kodos
12-02-2003, 07:33 PM
if we're going to be as elitist as we think the league should be, it's only natural the league gets its own website.

And I thought it was just a league. I didn't know it was an elitist one. Does that cost extra?

cthomer5000
12-02-2003, 07:53 PM
"I do like the idea of nailing down some web space for the league, to house box scores, stats, important info about the league etc. I think it will be a lot more easy to manage that way then having a sticky thread with a list of links to reference threads for instance."

exactly. obviously someone who has online league experience.

i point you in the direction of the FOBL, whose site is tops, bar none. great job they did on their site. when you see that league website, then you can come back to me and we'll see if you still want to keep this little cubby-hole of a forum as our league "home".

HA - I'm not a moron. You just speak as if "getting our own webspace" is all it will take to instantly turn the league into a well-oiled machine. I don't see how that is the case. If we cant even get some people to bother to come in here (to a place they reguarly visit) and put in thoughts on a few things (or even name their team), than why would a website magically resolve those issues?

You're harping on a website, while dismissing people trying to put in place the very structure of the league, thus impacting how it will be run on a day-to-day basis. It seems that you're simply criticizing those who are constructively going about getting the ball rolling.

EDIT:
[Bi point you in the direction of the FOBL, whose site is tops, bar none. great job they did on their site. when you see that league website, then you can come back to me and we'll see if you still want to keep this little cubby-hole of a forum as our league "home". [/B]

Did I ever make this argument? This is as good as place as any (if not better) to get our ground rules in place before worrying about posting our team history, pictures of our cheerleaders, or trade rumours. We will eventually need a website, but a few more basic things should really happen first.

Corey

cthomer5000
12-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Kodos
And I thought it was just a league. I didn't know it was an elitist one. Does that cost extra?

yes. I'm collecting the payments, PM me for my address (and send cash). :)

cuervo72
12-02-2003, 08:12 PM
yes. I'm collecting the payments, PM me for my address (and send cash). :)

You're just collecting these so we can make a serious offer to Hootie Johnson, right?

Daimyo
12-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Did I ever make this argument? This is as good as place as any (if not better) to get our ground rules in place before worrying about posting our team history, pictures of our cheerleaders, or trade rumours. We will eventually need a website, but a few more basic things should really happen first.

Corey

Right. Its not like the FOBL started out with a super webpage... We were on an ezboard not nearly as nice as this place for a long time in the formative months and it was good enough to hammer out the original ground rules.

A good webpage should really be the last thing on our minds at this point.

Vegas Vic
12-02-2003, 11:29 PM
The league will start on Monday, January 13, 2004.

How's that for decision making?

Vince
12-03-2003, 02:04 AM
Way to be, VV :)

Darkiller
12-03-2003, 05:40 AM
Good for me VV.

Ben E Lou
12-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Vegas Vic
The league will start on Monday, January 13, 2004.

How's that for decision making? Thanks Vic! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Samdari
12-03-2003, 06:55 AM
I thought we were electing a commish not a dictator. I am stunned that people are happy about having this kind of stuff dictated to them.

I am VERY uncomfortable with having one person (especially a non-owner) make all the decisions for the league. I think we should be making such decisions as a group. I think a constitution does need to be written, and rules need to be defined.

HA - if you don't want to participate or read such discussions - don't. I am surprised that was difficult for you to figure out.

Fritz
12-03-2003, 07:07 AM
WHO IS THIS W PEOPLE KEEP THANKING?

HornedFrog Purple
12-03-2003, 09:23 AM
Just to let everyone know, i have been working on a template, Senator has seen it but it's not that good and web designing isnt my thing. I doubt it will see the light of day more for me trying to learn Dreamweaver.

I would be glad to help with the constitution if you need someone Vegas.

Subby
12-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Look - what Daimyo said is absolutely on spot. The first thing we have to do now that we have owners in place is to vote on/ratify a constitution. As much as a I appreciate a strong commish, no league works unless there is league involvement. The less commish fiats, the better.

Once we get a constitution ratified, then we can decide when to start.