PDA

View Full Version : New League Forming

Bill Abner
12-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi guys,

Lost my damn password to an ancient email address so I'm a newbie again. :)

Anyway, I'm starting a new league and am in need of owners. The league will start up as soon as I get ample owners. Right now I have about 10 and would like to get a full slate if possible.

If you have any interest drop me a line at [email protected] or reply to the thread here.

thanks
bill

EDIT: I should clarify: the league will be using the default FoF2004 roster file, we'll draft teams from scratch, and we will use fictional teams/nicknames using cities not in the real NFL.

wbonnell
12-10-2003, 06:50 PM
I'd join on name recognition alone, but I'm already in the eNFL.

Bill Abner
12-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Just a little update here. We're starting to fill out the team roster. Currently taken are:

NFC West
Portland Blazers
San Bernardino Admirals
Grand Junction Mavericks
Waco (Nick pending)

NFC South
Savannah Rage
Laredo Diablos
Shreveport Rams
Key West Stormrays

NFC North
Northville Mustangs
Wisconsin Grizzlies
Woodhaven Freedom
Nantucket Fighting Dodo Birds

NFC East
Gettysburg Generals
West Point Colonials
York (Nick pending)
Trenton Thunder

AFC South
Jefferson City Monarchs
Lexington Thoroughbreds
Chalrseton Howlin' Coyotes
Schaumburg Black Knights

AFC North
Hartford Whalers
Des Moines Marauders
Omaha Blackshirts
Springfield Warriors

AFC East
Burlington Blizzard
Saratoga Stars
Erie Invaders
Manchester Capitals

AFC West
Sante Fe Luchadores
Salina Cougars
Cascadia Argonauts
Mill City Maulers

chiken22
12-12-2003, 12:09 AM
I wouldnt mind getting in the league, but to tell you the truth I just got the game tonight, so i would need alot of help on how to work the league play. Thanks.

Northwood_DK
12-12-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by chiken22
I wouldnt mind getting in the league, but to tell you the truth I just got the game tonight, so i would need alot of help on how to work the league play. Thanks.

Dont wory. I have never played in a multiplayer league before, and its realy not that dificulte.

This is all you have to learn.

How to use this file:

1. Download the league file to your computer.

2. Unzip the file (using WinZip or your archival program of choice) to the leagues subdirectory of your FOF 2004 installation directory.

3. Open FOF 2004, and open the Multi-Player Screen (3rd icon from right)

4. Hit "Load Game" from the top menu.

5. Select the "Participant" Button in the new screen.

6. Select the team you are controlling and select "Open".

7. Perform whatever functions you find necessary.

8. When you have completed your GM duties for the week, select "Export Stage File" from the "Participant Functions" sub-menu of the MultiPlayer Controls menu.

9.In the "export" subdirectory of your FOF 2004 installation, you should finda file labeled "name_of_your_league.0XX", where XX is a two-digit number. Email that file to the commissioner before the deadline.

Good luck

Bill Abner
12-12-2003, 08:53 AM
chiken22, don't let your lack of experience keep you from playing. We have several FoF newbies playing in the league and we can certainly walk you through the process. Also, we're still at least a week from starting, so there's time for you to learn the basics. And as Northwood said, it's not very difficult. Let me know if you want to join. I'll keep editing the above post as the league fills up.

thanks
bill

dean gordon
12-13-2003, 09:54 PM
I'd love to join.... first got into FOF when the original game came out and followed it over the years.... long-time commish and owner with OOTP, was thinking about starting a league when their football sim comes out, but will start here first... :)

Dean Gordon

TJ1965
12-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi,

I just downloaded FOF 4 and am interested in learning more about joining a league. Can someone e-mail me with more info?

Thanks,

TJ

Bill Abner
12-14-2003, 12:14 PM
I sent you an email, TJ.

DougW
12-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Hi, I think I'd like to play. I've never played online be4, however I've had FOF since the first one (actually the first one kept me busy and I never wanted to upgrade until this year), I've had it for a couple weeks now. Played 15 seasons, and think I have the hang of it. I was wondering about this league : How often are games/seasons played ? What differences are there in league play vs. computer play ? Is financial success important ? Is cheating a problem ? Draft from scratch ... does that mean a real online draft or draft preferences ? Any league info would be appreciated. Thank you

Bill Abner
12-14-2003, 08:16 PM
We'll be simming league games every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday night. I run an OOTP league that uses the same schedule; league files will be due by 10PM ET the night of the sim. I'll send league files back to the owners either that night or in the morning. I work from home so it's no problem as far as time. I've ran an OOTP league since the 4th version of that game--we're in 2013 right now and we have yet to miss a sim. So if all goes as planned the league will have good stability. Using this schedule each season will take around 6 weeks to complete.

The MP FoF league will be a learning experience for all of us as it's the first time people in the league have tried it but from what I gather it's exactly like the solo game...only with real people running the teams. ;) We'll be adding rules as we go I'm sure as we learn the nuances of it.

As far as cheating, I wish the game had OOTP's password protection. There will be nothing stopping an owner from looking at your team game plan from the previous week. Although your current gameplan will be impossible for others to see (so I suggest tweaking it).

We will be holding a live draft on Mirc once we have all a full list of owners. The league is at least a week away from starting because some owners are in the middle of final exams. We'll be using Brian Nichols' (Heavyreign) fictional player creator program to start with purely fictional players and not the stock roster file (so ignore my first post regarding that.) If you, or anyone else, has any questions jjst let me know.

bill

DougW
12-14-2003, 08:46 PM
OOTP - baseball sim ?

Anyway, sounds great, I'd like to get in. What do ya need from me ?
I don't know anything about Mirc though. Are we drafting a full 53 player roster (times 32 teams .. 1696 players) even at a very rapid 20 seconds a pic, thats about 9 hours (personally, I would not make the best decisions in 20 seconds). I would have doubts we could get everyone available in the same 9+ hour block. Thanks again

Bill Abner
12-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Yeah OOTP is Out of the Park Baseball

You can get Mirc at www.mirc.com

It's a very handy program for holding live drafts. I'll send you details on how to use it later. As for draft length, we'll go for as long as the players want to go. From the experience that I had with OOTP, it's best to draft as much as possible, maybe not all 53 players, but as deep as we possibly can. That way, there's no excuse as to whom the CPU picked for you, The draft will most likely take place over the course of a few nights, not just one sitting. But if we're 30 rounds in and the league wants to sim the rest, I'm ok with that as long as its a universal opinion.

As for what I need from you right now:

Just pick your city name and nickname and send me a logo. Just make sure your city is not a current NFL team (So Boston would be OK but Washington would not.) It's the New City Football League after all. :)

You can create your own logo or pick one from a logo site. The two I use are:

http://www.logoserver.com/Football.html

http://www.geocities.com/xchangesports/helmetgallery2.html

Our current owner's list can be found here (so you don't pick a logo that's already taken)

http://www.hugginsweb.net/ootp/football.htm

Just send me that info as well as where you want to be placed (We really need AFC West and South teams) and you're good to go.

bill

DougW
12-15-2003, 12:19 AM
NFC North would be great.

I created a logo, but I don't know where to send it

Woodhaven Death

Thanks alot, I am looking forward to this

DougW
12-15-2003, 12:26 AM
Also, another ques. (sorry)

Will we be able to look at the draft pool prior to draft day ?

Bill Abner
12-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Yep.

Bill Abner
12-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Just an FYI, only 5 spots remain so if you want to join just shoot me an email or reply to this thread. We'll try to hold the draft next week once we get everything in place.

thanks
bill

T-Storm
12-17-2003, 09:10 AM
Just wondering whether there's still a place for a silent european that never played any kind of multiplayer text-sim to join this league?

Bill Abner
12-17-2003, 09:52 AM
T-Storm, you nabbed the last spot. Send me an email and we can get you set up. Don't worry about being inexperienced with this; we'll walk you through the process.

T-Storm
12-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Allrighty, email should be underway.

Bill Abner
12-17-2003, 04:38 PM
OK guys the league is full. If you want to be placed on the waitlist just send me an email.

thanks
bill

DookieMowf
12-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Cant wait for the league to start bill.

I just need to find a trojan logo..it doesnt have to have the city name or anything right as long as its a logo?

Bill Abner
12-17-2003, 06:54 PM
I added a logo to the owner's page for you; let me know what you think.