PDA

View Full Version : OT - Salary cap question - real NFL

JonInMiddleGA
12-16-2003, 11:44 AM
ESPN's story about Titan backup QB Billy Volek being out for the season & the salary cap problems the team has to consider in replacing him included the following snippet.

But they have not placed rookie Andre Woolfolk on injured reserve or replaced him on the roster. The cornerback has been out since Oct. 26, needing leg surgery.

Since that was mentioned in the context of the salary cap issues the team faces, does that mean that players placed on IR do not count against the current season salary cap in the NFL?

Bee
12-16-2003, 11:49 AM
I may very well be wrong, but my understanding is IR players count against the cap. I would guess the reason they haven't put him on the IR is they would have to replace him by bringing in another player who also would count against the cap.

Butter
12-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Right, I took it to mean that they didn't bother to place him on IR because they wouldn't have money to replace him anyway.

cthomer5000
12-16-2003, 11:51 AM
IR players definitely DO count against the cap. The Titans are in horrible cap shape.

JonInMiddleGA
12-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks, I knew if they weren't counted, it was something I'd never heard before.