PDA

View Full Version : Some of my insight on the super bowl.

k0ruptr
02-02-2004, 12:52 AM
First of all, Absolutely fantastic game. Being a diehard panther fan, I was in tears, but you win as a team and lose as a team and that being so, I will refrain from singling out any one player as the goat.

ok, lets see. There were a few bad penaltys/non penaltys in the game, but overall I'd say that game was called averagely. the fumble by the panthers that was ruled a drop, equaled the 4th and inches that was ruled a first down. both blown calls imo. I think the pats got away with holding all game, but so did the panthers. I do honestly think the refs were a little too whistle happy on the cats tho.

both turnovers resulted in 7 points, so thats nulled.

We seemed to get pressure on brady when we needed it, until the end. Delhomme was pressured pretty much most of the game, but got through it ok.

Our lack of running game didnt hurt us as much as most people expected, BUT new englands actually having a running game hurt us quite a bit. Seeing as they were running quite well, that play action just killed us. if we had been able to concentrate on brady, I think the game could of turned out diffrently. great job and mad props to new englands O-line, IMO they deserved the MVP trophy. deion branch gets a vote too. (who won MVP anyway, I was too busy crying and being depressed to watch after the game)

Jake Delhomme proved all the BS about brady having a huge upper hand because of super bowl experience was moot. Delhomme despite starting slow, had a Fantastic game, and made some of the most beautiful throws I have ever seen. Brady remained consistent and got it done, which is what he has done his whole career, and I dont see that changing any time soon in this new england offense.

For carolina , Our Defense played an ok game, I dont see what most people see, and thats that they played horrible. The play action being an exception. Although one player has gotten my attention as being the weak link on our D this whole playoff run, and that is terry cousin. I think gambles way too much to be our nickel back.

One thing that did piss me off, besides the kick off out of bounds, was the kick return with 4 seconds left. rod smart just getting tackled like the game was already over. Why not lateral the ball, or hell if there isnt anyone around, fumble it sideways and see what happens, you are already losing , and should at least try something to get a miracle win.

As for the future of the panthers, I absolutely cannot wait to see if we let delhomme throw a bit more next season, as he has proven he can play. I hope we can get back to the playoffs next season, and I think we will make another run.

this being said, I congratulate the pats and panthers on playing a helluva super bowl and I present to you your 2003 World Champion New England Patriots.

So, can anyone hook me up with a copy of this game on tape or dvd, I would be absolutely grateful as a dedicated panther fan, and this being my teams first super bowl EVER, thanks for reading my mindless babble about an awesome superbowl, one of the best I have ever seen.

Suicane75
02-02-2004, 01:00 AM
You guys are young and good, I can easily see you returning next year.

gstelmack
02-02-2004, 08:23 AM
You guys are young and good, I can easily see you returning next year.
New England has a lot of youth and a ton of picks in the draft this year. We could easily see a rematch next season.

Easy Mac
02-02-2004, 08:27 AM
All I want to know is, why run Deshaun Foster 3 times the whole game? They ran him once before the 4th quarter? Why not mix and match him a Davis a little, instead of letting New England know Davis was running the whole game.

k0ruptr
02-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Well I think it was more of the fact that davis was healthy, when davis was healthy this season, if you look back at the box scores, we RARELY ran foster, davis just pounded and pounded and pounded. I do like the mix and match a bit more tho.

Desnudo
02-02-2004, 02:27 PM
It was interesting that they didn't run Foster more. Something the Panthers staff missed I think. NE has had trouble with fast shifty backs, but stuff power backs.

WSUCougar
02-02-2004, 03:21 PM
First of all, Absolutely fantastic game.
Agreed! It overcame a slow start to become a very dramatic, see-saw classic.

...I will refrain from singling out any one player as the goat.
I agree with the general spirit of your comment, but that kickoff out of bounds was too crippling a mistake to let slide. Your kicker CANNOT do that in that situation. I have always been a John Kasay fan, but gawd!

...the fumble by the panthers that was ruled a drop, equaled the 4th and inches that was ruled a first down. both blown calls imo.
The non-fumble call was a bang-bang play, and I can't fault the ref for diving right in and making it. The commentators always say "They should let the play go and then it can be reviewed," but that puts the burden on a team using one of their challenges. The replay showed it was an incorrect call, but that's the way it goes. As for the 4th and inches spot, there was one angle that seemed to show he advanced the ball that far - the rest were inconclusive. I think the line judge probably spotted it correctly.

great job and mad props to new englands O-line, IMO they deserved the MVP trophy.
Agreed. Steve Smith had some amazing catches too.

Delhomme proved all the BS about brady having a huge upper hand because of super bowl experience was moot. Delhomme despite starting slow, had a fantastic game, and made some of the most beautiful throws I have ever seen. [quote]
Agreed to a point, but Delhomme needs to curb his emotions somewhat. Too often he looks like a whiny bitch college quarterback when something doesn't pan out. Intentional or not, he is showing up his teammates when he does that. Delhomme is wild-eyed and excitable; Brady is a cool customer and a leader. I like both of them, by the way.

[quote]Our Defense played an ok game, I dont see what most people see, and thats that they played horrible.
Given the hype, the Panther's defense had a disappointing game. As you mentioned, the Pats offensive line was the dominant force in the trenches.

One thing that did piss me off...Rod Smart just getting tackled like the game was already over. Why not lateral the ball, or hell if there isnt anyone around, fumble it sideways and see what happens, you are already losing , and should at least try something to get a miracle win.
I had the same exact thought. Do not go meekly into that dark night!

Nice post. Always good to read a critical analysis, fair assesment, and someone being honorable in defeat.

cthomer5000
02-02-2004, 03:30 PM
My biggest pet peeves is teams trying absolutely nothing on the final kick return. I guess they're just content to take that 1/100 chance that they'll break the kick return for a touchdown. Are you telling me you have absolutely nothing in store for a situation like that?

It really boils my blood. I mean your entire season, and the goddamn Super Bowl title, is on the line. So you call the usual ho-hum kick return. Have they not seen footage of the "Music City Miracle" or even the Jags-Saints game from this year?

Frankly, I would almost bet that a team has never won a game on the final play (kick return) when running an absolutely standard kickoff return.

Wolfpack
02-02-2004, 03:35 PM
You could tell in the fourth that the Panthers had all but given up on the running game (the run by Foster not withstanding). Both times the Panthers went for two, they opted to pass. I'd say that in any other game, they'd have brought Davis in and hammered him into the end zone. Surely, the Panthers could have tried to pick up just three yards on one running play (they'd been getting a few runs about that long during the game, though Davis was largely stuffed in the backfield most of the time), but they went for receiver sets instead. It may work around the 50, but with just 13 yards of field to work with, multiple receivers aren't going to be as effective, I don't think, particularly in an offense that normal practices smashing it in rather than throwing it in.

Tasan
02-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah I commented on this in another thread. You really have to pull the "Throw it around a 100 times and hope something breaks" play on that last kick return. To just run straight up the gut with it is horrible.