PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Commentary

gstelmack
02-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Here's a thread for stupid announcer comments.

My favorite was when the fourth quarter TD barrage started, Phil Simms knocked Carolina for blitzing instead of playing it safe on a key 3rd-and-9 play. When Carolina got the ball back and threw one of their long passes, Simms knocked New England for playing it safe instead of blitzing :rolleyes: I swear, Simms' announcing style is to knock whatever a team did that went wrong, then praise whatever a team did that went right, and all right after they did it. Hindsight is always 20-20, Phil...

Draft Dodger
02-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Phil Simms is terrible. As hard as it is to believe, I think he usually is much, much worse. I normally can't watch him at all.

Passacaglia
02-02-2004, 09:21 AM
What drove me crazy was all the times Greg Gumbel had to call the result of the play before it happened -- calling touchdown while the ball was still in the air, getting it right a few times, but wrong often (like when the ball was caught out of bounds by I think Fauria?), confidently saying first down before Smith was even across the line of scrimmage on that 4th and inches. Just something that bugged me -- why can't he just wait a second until he has a better idea what the result of the play will be before he says it? Even if he's right, I find it pretty disconcerting to hear "touchdown" while I'm trying to see if the ball will be caught, or if the player will land in bounds.

cthomer5000
02-02-2004, 09:29 AM
I usually like Simms, but he and Gumbel turned in atrocious performances. Overall, the coverage was pretty bad from a technical standpoint. There were a couple times were there was dead silence from the announcers for 10-15 seconds, and/or no explanation of something that was occuring on the field.

Ksyrup
02-02-2004, 09:31 AM
I usually like Simms, but he and Gumbel turned in atrocious performances.
I agree. I generally don't have anything bad to say about them, but they were off last night.

And I noticed the "call the play split-seconds before it happened" thing as well, but thought it might be some sort of delay in the video feed.

WSUCougar
02-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Agreed on Simms. Yech!

Jim Nance lording over the podium and brazenly declaring to the city of Houston that they had hosted "THE BEST SUPER BOWL GAME EVER" was another low point.

KevinNU7
02-02-2004, 09:42 AM
You guys are lucky, I didn't get to even hear most of the announcing. I was nagged by women to turn the TV down so they don't have to yell at each other to talk. I actually had someone say at the first set of commericals, "Oh, everyone be quiet now, the commericals are on." :rolleyes:

I watched the end of the game upstairs in the bedroom away from the 30 people we had over. If Pats ever go again I'm watching it alone.

McSweeny
02-02-2004, 12:34 PM
You guys are lucky, I didn't get to even hear most of the announcing. I was nagged by women to turn the TV down so they don't have to yell at each other to talk. I actually had someone say at the first set of commericals, "Oh, everyone be quiet now, the commericals are on." :rolleyes:

I watched the end of the game upstairs in the bedroom away from the 30 people we had over. If Pats ever go again I'm watching it alone.

i find that i cannot watch a game where i care about the outcome when there are people who are non-fans or just casual fans. I get pissed at all the chatting and the stupid questions when i just want to sit and watch my team. My brother and my dad are the only ones i'll watch important Red Sox games with. Sheesh

WSUCougar
02-02-2004, 12:48 PM
...important Red Sox games...
Must...resist...joke...

:D:D:D

Desnudo
02-02-2004, 01:34 PM
i find that i cannot watch a game where i care about the outcome when there are people who are non-fans or just casual fans. I get pissed at all the chatting and the stupid questions when i just want to sit and watch my team. My brother and my dad are the only ones i'll watch important Red Sox games with. Sheesh

I watch Red Sox games alone with a bottle of whiskey and some heroin.

mckerney
02-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Agreed on Simms. Yech!

Jim Nance lording over the podium and brazenly declaring to the city of Houston that they had hosted "THE BEST SUPER BOWL GAME EVER" was another low point.

That's what he said? All I heard was him proclaiming, "I'm a huge tool."

Desnudo
02-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Robert Kraft is always drunk as hell when he accepts trophies?

Glengoyne
02-02-2004, 02:05 PM
The announcers were horrible. Simms was annoying. Gumbel grated on my nerves, and Nantz. Well Jim Nantz should be sitting in a studio somewhere doing an update or one of those touchy feely Olympic moment things. I too noticed Gumbel announcing things before they happened. I had myself wondering if there was somehow some kind of delay in the video feed. They completely missed the Touchdown by Fauria. Well I think it was a touchdown, but they only showed a single replay that I believe the announcers absolutely misjudged. The director, possibly asleep at the switch, queued up 3 or 4 replays of the defensive holding instead. Top that off with the poor choice of halftime entertainment, which someone at the NFL should lose their job for signing off on. Add someone at CBS to the chopping block for that same decision. I think it is a lock, Worst Superbowl production ever. It is a shame that it detracted from what might have actually been the best Superbowl ever.

AENeuman
02-02-2004, 03:31 PM
"He's one of those guys nobody knows nothing about." Sims. With a billion people tuning in it's nice cbs chose to present such a stellar announcer. After Sims and the farting horse I can see why so many people hate American pop culture....

Bubba Wheels
02-02-2004, 03:34 PM
"He's one of those guys nobody knows nothing about." Sims. With a billion people tuning in it's nice cbs chose to present such a stellar announcer. After Sims and the farting horse I can see why so many people hate American pop culture....

I would agree with that! Maybe the NFL should start calling the Super Bowl the Toliet Bowl.

Dutch
02-02-2004, 08:15 PM

I particularly liked how Simms says, "Presumption? Oooh, your brother was just telling me how articulate you are!" after Gumbel had said "...presumption..." or some such word. Just terrible. To me, it screamed, "That's a mighty big word for a black man."

Of course, Gumbel couldn't even muster a response and left it alone...

Draft Dodger
02-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Robert Kraft is always drunk as hell when he accepts trophies?

especially when you compare it to 2 weeks ago. He gave an extremely luccid, intelligent speech after that game that really impressed me. After the SB, I was half-expecting him to tell Jim Nantz he wanted to kiss him.

Draft Dodger
02-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Of course, Gumbel couldn't even muster a response and left it alone...

I always have gotten the vibe that Gumbel can't stand Simms. The fact that it's hard to pick that vibe up speaks for his professionalism. He definitely was off his game, though yesterday. Odd, he's normally much better, and almost makes watching Simms palatable. Almost.

I too thought the production for this game was TERRIBLE. There were a bunch of plays that screamed for a replay and it didn't happen. Fauria's non-TD was just one example of many.