PDA

View Full Version : The World Football League (WFL) - Football goes global!

AgPete
03-01-2004, 03:29 PM
If anyone here remembers my old Cowboys dynasty a few years back, I used a similar format with this dynasty. It's a web site that is organized in chronological order and sort of acts like a press release machine. I plan on making it even better this time and am trying something new by adding elements of Madden to give the dynasty report some pizazz. I have uniforms and logos for all the WFL teams and might add some occasional video clips which reenact famous plays in the FOF games.

This is my first time to play FOF in over a year so I'll definitely be learning as I go. I picked the highest difficulty level and used the real name roster although the entire WFL has an initial draft.

It's been a while so I didn't remember if FOF used accurate geographic or demographic info in its weather and ticket sales so I only replaced large U.S. cities with their substitute large world cities and kept climates similar. So for example, Cairo might replace Phoenix, Rio de Janeiro might replace Honolulu, a Mediterranean city might replace a California city and so on.

Hope you enjoy it. Right now I only have the home page, and 2 segments of 2003 done. (The Offseason and Preseason Hype) I'll update this thread as I add more to the website.

WARNING FOR 56Kers, the initial homepage is big because it provies a summary of all 32 teams! It will take a while to download. But there is a link at the top to go directly to the year-by-year dynasty which goes pretty fast for dial-up modems.

CLICK HERE TO GO THE WFL HOMEPAGE! (http://home.cfl.rr.com/wfldynasty/index.html)

If you want to skip the picture heavy homepage and go directly to the year-by-year dynasty report click here! (http://home.cfl.rr.com/wfldynasty/2003Page1.htm)

Custom logos are from many sources including Madden 2004, OOTP custom logos, foreign logos and other places.

JeeberD
03-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Only one team in Germany? For shame...

AgPete
03-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Only one team in Germany? For shame...

LOL I thought about putting more teams in Europe but Tagliabue overrode me. ;)

fantastic flying froggies
03-02-2004, 02:27 AM
That is a beautiful website, dude. I will follow closely.

It is really a shame you put the french team in Paris, I will have a hard time rooting for them ! I'll have to find me another favorite team...

MIJB#19
03-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Makes me wonder how you solved the calculated locations of teams issue.
I always thought FOF only supported locations in the North Western quarter of the World, making teams only possible to be located in North America, the Atlantic Ocean, the Western part of Western Europe, The North Western Part of North Africa, the Caribbean, The Northern part of South America and the big Ocean between Asia and America.

03-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Mathis, notice how Amsterdam failed to get/keep a team once again ???

;)

MIJB#19
03-02-2004, 10:12 AM
START OFF TOPIC ALERT!

Mathis, notice how Amsterdam failed to get/keep a team once again ???

;)Amsterdam sucks!
Give me Rotterdam or even The Hague.
The only days in the year I like Amsterdam is when the NFL Europe games are played there, simply because there's no other Dutch NFL Europe site.

BTW, It's Matthijs, but you'll get to learn how to spell it if you keep trying long enough.;)

END OFF TOPIC ALERT!

03-02-2004, 10:25 AM
m-a-t-t-h-i-j-s
m-a-t-t-h-i-j-s
m-a-t-t-h-i-j-s

I'll try to remember that...

AgPete
03-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Makes me wonder how you solved the calculated locations of teams issue.
I always thought FOF only supported locations in the North Western quarter of the World, making teams only possible to be located in North America, the Atlantic Ocean, the Western part of Western Europe, The North Western Part of North Africa, the Caribbean, The Northern part of South America and the big Ocean between Asia and America.

MIJB, read the first post and you'll see how I decided which teams to rename. I basically stuck with similar climates and tried to only change top 50 U.S. cities. (as far as population) So Hawaii and Florida were used for South American cities. California for Mediterranean since they have the same climate. Arizona for the Middle East and so on. I don't know how much weather is factored into game calculations (if it is at all) but the climates should be fairly similar for most cities.

AgPete
03-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Year 2003 is complete and posted. Some familiar Super Bowl names helped win World Bowl I. ;)

If anyone wants to skip the picture heavy home page, here is a direct link to the first year of the dynasty report.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/wfldynasty/2003Page1.htm

AgPete
03-03-2004, 06:39 PM
2004 Offseason & Season Preview is up. Peyton Manning's injury in World Bowl I with the Hong Kong Anchors was enough to ruin his career. He's backup material now and struggling to win a job on the London Knights. :eek:

Anthony
03-03-2004, 10:57 PM
i like your website.

03-04-2004, 03:55 AM
2004 Offseason & Season Preview is up. Peyton Manning's injury in World Bowl I with the Hong Kong Anchors was enough to ruin his career. He's backup material now and struggling to win a job on the London Knights. :eek:
Wow, hope that doesn't happen IRL, what with the new signing bonus and all that would cripple the Colts franchise for years...

AgPete
03-04-2004, 11:25 AM
i like your website.

Thanks. Takes longer than I'd like to make a dynasty report but it also keeps me more involved with my dynasty. :)

Wow, hope that doesn't happen IRL, what with the new signing bonus and all that would cripple the Colts franchise for years...

No joke. Ya know, I'm still waiting for this to happen in the NFL. I can think of Grant Hill in the NBA but I can't think of any NFL player that was signed for a huge bonus and had an immediate career ending injury.

MIJB#19
03-06-2004, 04:43 AM
MIJB, read the first post and you'll see how I decided which teams to rename. I basically stuck with similar climates and tried to only change top 50 U.S. cities. (as far as population) So Hawaii and Florida were used for South American cities. California for Mediterranean since they have the same climate. Arizona for the Middle East and so on. I don't know how much weather is factored into game calculations (if it is at all) but the climates should be fairly similar for most cities.[slap in the face to myself]
I deserved that...
[/slap in the face to myself]

AgPete
03-06-2004, 10:43 PM
[slap in the face to myself]
I deserved that...
[/slap in the face to myself]

No prob. It's the best I could come up with given FOF's limited pre-dynasty mod abilities. Sometimes I wish FOF had all the custom abilities OOTP does. :(

AgPete
03-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Updated 2003 end of year results and 2004 preview. World Bowl II was won by an unlikely hero who was in the same position a few years earlier. ;) Once again, he was also cut by his championship team the following season. :eek:

AgPete
03-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Updated 2005. Have a World Bowl III winner now. A very popular young athlete in today's NFL has left his mark in the WFL. :)