PDA

View Full Version : O Brother, Where Art Thou?

John Galt
03-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Coen brothers movies are just so quotable. I saw O Brother again the other day and I find myself repeating quotes whenever appropriate (or not appropriate at all). Yes, I know I'm insane. These are my favorites:

Penny Wharvey McGill: Vernon here's got a job. Vernon's got prospects. He's bona fide. What are you?

Ulysses Everett McGill: Well isn't this place a geographic oddity. Two weeks from everywhere.

Ulysses Everett McGill: A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man.

Homer Stokes: Is you is, or is you ain't, my constituency?

Delmar O'Donnell: You mean to tell me you sold your everlasting soul for *that*?
Tommy Johnson: Well, I figured I wasn't usin' it.

Delmar O'Donnell: We thought you was a toad!
Pete: What?
Delmar O'Donnell: [leaning in, speaking slower] We thought you was a toad!

[Repeated line]
Ulysses Everett McGill: Damn! We're in a tight spot!

Delmar O'Donnell: You work for the railroad, Grampa?
Blind Seer: I work for no man.
Delmar O'Donnell: Got a name, do you?
Blind Seer: I have no name.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, that right there may be the reason you've had difficulty findin' gainful employment...

Pete: You stole from my kin!
Ulysses Everett McGill: Who was fixin' to betray us.
Pete: You didn't know that at the time.
Ulysses Everett McGill: So I borrowed it until I did know.
Pete: That don't make no sense!
Ulysses Everett McGill: Pete, it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.

And my favorite:

Pete: Do not seek the treasure!

I think if I could clear out the space in my brain wasted on movie quotes and song lyrics, I could actually do something productive in this world. Oh well.

mckerney
03-01-2004, 03:59 PM
A lot of respectable people have been hit by trains.

mckerney
03-01-2004, 04:01 PM
I don't know Delmar. The blind are reputed to possess sensitivities compensating for their lack of sight, even to the point of developing paranormal psychic powers. Now, clearly seeing into the future would fall into neatly into that category; its not so surprising then that an organism deprived of its earthly vision...

He said we wouldn't get get it. He said we wouldn't get the treasure we seek on account of our ob-stac-les.

Well what the hell does he know, he's just an ignorant old man?

revrew
03-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Here's one John Galt and I can agree on completely. Love the movie, own the soundtrack. Gopher, Everett?

Raven Hawk
03-01-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm a Dapper Dan man!

JPhillips
03-01-2004, 08:24 PM
In the baptism scene check out the extra oover Tim Blake Nelson's shoulder. She leans out a little bit and gets a nice three or four seconds of face time. That's my wife!

GoldenEagle
03-01-2004, 08:28 PM
[Repeated line]
Ulysses Everett McGill: Damn! We're in a tight spot!

This was my fav. line of the entire movie.

A true classic!

JPhillips
03-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Also check out the rickety ladder over Clooney's left shoulder during the "Man of Constant Sorrow" scene. That crappy ladder was at the theatre I worked at until one day it leaned far enough that I came down and threw one of only two vile cussing fits in my life. I didn't think it made an impression, but the next day a new ladder was delivered. That wooden ladder sat against the wall until the props guy for Oh Brother came looking for items for the theatre scene.

GoldenEagle
03-01-2004, 08:42 PM
My cousin was married in that room where the "Man of Constant Sorrow" scence as shot. It is pretty neat located right in the middle of historic civil war buildings.

GrantDawg
03-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Great film and soundtrack.

Peregrine
03-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Definitely a great movie. I just love the blind radio station guy (played by Stephen Root, of Milton in Office Space fame.)

ntndeacon
03-01-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm voting for yours truly
Well, I'm voting for yours truly
Well Pete it looks as if it is up to you...
I'm with you fellers

Tryfan
03-02-2004, 02:56 AM
It was without a doubt a great movie... but I think Princess Bride still holds the title for Most Quotable.

Wolfpack
03-02-2004, 09:42 AM
You guys are dumber than a bag of hammers!