PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Gods

druez
03-01-2004, 09:10 PM
A quick thought on what defines a god and how they are created:

The gods are not so different then us mortals, they love, they fight, they envy, they destroy. Gods are made and Gods are destroyed. Though they may live forever and by our standards, I suppose that makes them gods? But, lets imagine a second that they can die, does this mean they were never gods? If their existence is simply removed by a more powerful being, or perhaps a constant that makes everything equal in the end. This must mean that in the end everyone "mortal and immortal" is really equal. Which leads back to the constant.

Hmm, maybe gods are ideas simply created out of mortal thought. The more you talk about the thought, the more it becomes part of you. So more people around you start to feel it and it becomes more real to them. All those thoughts woven together of like-minded individuals could make the being or entity seem real in a persons mind. The more you talk about the thought, idea etc. the more it becomes part of you. So more people around you start to feel it and it becomes more real to them. Can you see how this pattern could convince you that is indeed real and not something you created in your own mind and in actuality really control.

This is something I wrote one day. It just sort of came to me. I had finished this book called the Power of Myth. It was a great read. Anyway, I have no idea if I'm right or wrong and I'm still trying to figure it out.

cthomer5000
03-01-2004, 09:22 PM
I really have nothing to add to this post. But I always think about one quote from the comedy Groundhog Day each time I see it. On its own, i think it's an incredibly interesting concept:

"Well, maybe God is'nt actually all-knowing. Maybe he’s been around so long, it just seems like He knows everything."

druez
03-01-2004, 09:24 PM
I really have nothing to add to this post. But I always think about one quote from the comedy Groundhog Day each time I see it. On its own, i think it's an incredibly interesting concept:

"Well, maybe God is'nt actually all-knowing. Maybe he’s been around so long, it just seems like He knows everything."

That is a classic movie and I loved it. I think in a way it applies to the above.

Sun Tzu
03-01-2004, 10:58 PM
I would think the main thing that would signify godliness would be true immortality. There are other traits that I guess you could call godlike, but I would have to sit down and seriously think about that for a while to be able to come up with some good examples.

I also think Groundhog day is a classic movie. :)

"Morons, your bus is leaving."

corbes
03-02-2004, 06:45 AM
Been into those middies again?

;)

Fritz
03-02-2004, 08:11 AM
I bet god could design one fuck of a website

sachmo71
03-02-2004, 08:16 AM
Ice Cube had some interesting thought on God in Boyz in the Hood. You should check that out and add it to your research.

fantastic flying froggies
03-02-2004, 08:18 AM
What if God was one of us ?
Just a slob like one of us....

druez
03-02-2004, 08:43 AM
I bet god could design one fuck of a website

Interesting thought, I'll keep that in mind.

Ben E Lou
03-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Ice T had some interesting thought on God in Boyz in the Hood. You should check that out and add it to your research.:confused: Different movie?

cthomer5000
03-02-2004, 09:17 AM
:confused: Different movie?
good point. Ice Cube was in Boyz 'N the Hood... Ice T is pretty much exclusively in horrible movies.

sachmo71
03-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Ice Cube...sorry.

JasonC23
03-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Groundhog Day is one of my all-time favorites. Or maybe I should just let my signature do the talking...

MrBug708
03-02-2004, 01:26 PM

Sounds like the University of Southern Cal fans