PDA

View Full Version : hooray for football! The Bears cut Kordell Stewart

cthomer5000
03-02-2004, 09:34 AM
I don't know how this slipped by us all yesterday... I just found it on ESPN.

-------------
LAKE FOREST, Illinois - With Rex Grossman (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6358) firmly entrenched as the starting quarterback, the Chicago Bears (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chi) on Monday released veteran quarterback Kordell Stewart (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3117).

Stewart spent one unproductive season with the Bears after signing a two-year, $5 million deal as a free agent last March.

Stewart, 31, began last season as the Bears starting quarterback before eventually losing his job to veteran Chris Chandler (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=388). He played in nine games, completing 126-of-251 passes for seven touchowns and 12 interceptions.

Grossman, selected in the first round of April's draft, finished last season as the Bears' starting quarterback.

Stewart spent his first eight years with the Steelers and twice led them to the AFC championship game. But he lost his starting job to Tommy Maddox (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2018) in 2002.

The Bears on Monday also released veteran defensive end Phillip Daniels, who played in 59 games for the team the last four seasons.

"We decided to release Phillip and Kordell because it was in the best interest of all parties," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said. "By releasing them before the start of free agency each will have the opportunity to pursue a better match on the open market."

Daniels, 30, spent his first four seasons with Seattle and has 341 tackles and 45 sacks in 119 career games.

corbes
03-02-2004, 09:36 AM
The Bears only have version 5.0b, so the "HorrorShow" easter egg wasn't working out for them.

cthomer5000
03-02-2004, 09:38 AM
The Bears only have version 5.0b, so the "HorrorShow" easter egg wasn't working out for them.
exactly. I wonder if any other horrible franchise will sign this bum. Maybe a veteran minmum contract in Pittsburgh?

WSUCougar
03-02-2004, 09:38 AM
You might say the Bears "Slashed" their payroll...

;)

fantastic flying froggies
03-02-2004, 09:40 AM
exactly. I wonder if any other horrible franchise will sign this bum. Maybe a veteran minmum contract in Pittsburgh?
Just one word : Arena Football !!! (well, technically 2 words...)

MIJB#19
03-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Seriously, this guy will end up somewhere, will he?
I mean, he's been a starter, a good starter at some point. If he's not going to be like "I need to be the #1 QB where I go", he has years ahead of him, no?

miami_fan
03-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Seriously, this guy will end up somewhere, will he?
I mean, he's been a starter, a good starter at some point. If he's not going to be like "I need to be the #1 QB where I go", he has years ahead of him, no?
Let's see he had his best years under Chan Gailey......Ga Tech? :D

WSUCougar
03-02-2004, 10:27 AM
How about Atlanta as a back-up? He's "athletical" enough to fit into whatever Vick-oriented system they run, and I believe Doug Johnson and Kitner are not in their plans. Might be a decent fit.

Calis
03-02-2004, 10:28 AM
In a perfect world he'd end up in Dallas fighting Quincy Carter for the starting job there.

Shepp
03-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Kordell could still have a productive career, he just has get over the idea that he can play QB in the NFL. If he catches on with a team and is will to play WR, where he should have been from the start, he could still contribute.

Aylmar
03-02-2004, 10:37 AM

No way. Cowher and Stewart don't get along very well. Add that to the badmouthing of the franchise that Kordell did last spring and I just don't think it possible that the two men could actually work together again. Stewart burned his Pittsburgh bridges.

As for the implication that the Steelers are a horrible franchise...I guess I can overlook it... ;)

SunDancer
03-02-2004, 10:37 AM
How is Grossman looking? I haven't really heard bout him much. I though he was a second round choice.

bryce
03-02-2004, 10:49 AM
i remember when he came out of college, i got into a rather heated debate about him with a competitor in one of my fantasy football leagues - the joker was convinced kordell would go down as one of the best ever. i disagreed completely, but admitted only time would tell. time has told...

bamcgee
03-02-2004, 10:53 AM
what about Denny Green in Arizona? I bet he thinks he can turn Kordell into another Randall Cunningham... which I suppose is better than McCown.

Coffee Warlord
03-02-2004, 10:59 AM
How is Grossman looking? I haven't really heard bout him much. I though he was a second round choice.

Boy's got a cannon and ain't afraid to use it. The two games he started last season, he looked pretty impressive.

A helluva lot more impressive (and intelligent in his decision making) than about any Bears QB we've seen in awhile.

JeeberD
03-02-2004, 02:41 PM
In a perfect world he'd end up in Dallas fighting Quincy Carter for the starting job there.

Not even funny.

rkmsuf
03-02-2004, 02:42 PM
i remember when he came out of college, i got into a rather heated debate about him with a competitor in one of my fantasy football leagues - the joker was convinced kordell would go down as one of the best ever. i disagreed completely, but admitted only time would tell. time has told...

You must have been somewhat concerned after the 11 rushing touchdowns. That little jerk singlehandedly won our league that year...

MIJB#19
03-03-2004, 04:54 AM
How about Atlanta as a back-up? He's "athletical" enough to fit into whatever Vick-oriented system they run, and I believe Doug Johnson and Kitner are not in their plans. Might be a decent fit.Yeah, that came up in my mind too.
I mean, if Atlanta is playing with a run friendly QB, doesn't it make sense to have a backup that plays in the same way? Maybe Stewart can get close to his level of play a few years back when he was winning games for the Steelers. Obviously, being alongside Vick makes it clear he's not the #1 guy, but how likely was he to be after the Bears drafted Grossman anyway in Chicago? I mean, the whole QB situation in Chicago (with Grossman and Chandler) had it written all over: Kordell will be cut in early 2004.

GrantDawg
03-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Yeah, that came up in my mind too.
I mean, if Atlanta is playing with a run friendly QB, doesn't it make sense to have a backup that plays in the same way? Maybe Stewart can get close to his level of play a few years back when he was winning games for the Steelers. Obviously, being alongside Vick makes it clear he's not the #1 guy, but how likely was he to be after the Bears drafted Grossman anyway in Chicago? I mean, the whole QB situation in Chicago (with Grossman and Chandler) had it written all over: Kordell will be cut in early 2004.
I actually hope he does sign on as a back-up. The Falcons could do worse.

korme
03-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Blake cut :(

Ksyrup
03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Chicago's about to sign Thomas Jones.

rkmsuf
03-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Chicago's about to sign Thomas Jones.

I think it's done. Something like 4 yrs 10 million but the Bears are stating that Anthony Thomas will still be the starter...

cthomer5000
03-03-2004, 01:31 PM
I think it's done. Something like 4 yrs 10 million but the Bears are stating that Anthony Thomas will still be the starter...
ESPN is confirming.. sounds like he'll officially "compete" for the starting job.

rkmsuf
03-03-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm not sold on Jones...I'm still bitter from drafting him in the Cardinal days...

cthomer5000
03-03-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm not sold on Jones...I'm still bitter from drafting him in the Cardinal days...
I agree that it seems like a bit much for a guy who's never really put together a full season. On the positive side, he's only 25 years old... so there is legit potential for the Bears to really make out well on this deal if he turns into a 1,400 yard back all of the sudden.

rkmsuf
03-03-2004, 01:54 PM
I agree that it seems like a bit much for a guy who's never really put together a full season. On the positive side, he's only 25 years old... so there is legit potential for the Bears to really make out well on this deal if he turns into a 1,400 yard back all of the sudden.

I'm not sure what the Bears are up to over there. Seems like a Thomas/Peterson combo was servicable. I actually recall some good games from Thomas when healthy last year.

I remember hearing mention of trying to feature Terrell? That guy is just not that good...

cthomer5000
03-03-2004, 01:57 PM
I remember hearing mention of trying to feature Terrell? That guy is just not that good...
I'm so far from that situation, but I just remember how hyped he was going into his senior year and the draft.. I heard all this crap about how he was the most ready to play of any receiver in the last 10 years or some nonsense. He seems to have done absolutely nothing so far.

FBPro
03-03-2004, 01:59 PM
How about Atlanta as a back-up? He's "athletical" enough to fit into whatever Vick-oriented system they run, and I believe Doug Johnson and Kitner are not in their plans. Might be a decent fit.

Not a bad idea actually.

rkmsuf
03-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm so far from that situation, but I just remember how hyped he was going into his senior year and the draft.. I heard all this crap about how he was the most ready to play of any receiver in the last 10 years or some nonsense. He seems to have done absolutely nothing so far.

I remember that the pressure was on the Pats at #6 to take Terrell and Belichick held firm and took Seymour. People were livid.

Seeing what little highlights there are of him he looks like a slow/plodding guy and he's certainly done nothing on a team that has no wideouts...

cthomer5000
03-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Not a bad idea actually.
It really isn't a bad idea at all. Just when I thought the guy should be pushed out of the league...

FBPro
03-03-2004, 02:06 PM
In signing on with Atlanta and (God forbid) Vick gets hurt again then the same basic system could still be run with very little change. Not to mention the fact that he could even play in the slot from time to time just for fun. I really like this move just hope that they consider it.

SplitPersonality1
03-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Somehow, I read this as "hooray for football! The Bears cut Martha Stewart ".

I think I need more sleep.

JasonC23
03-04-2004, 12:28 PM
I remember that the pressure was on the Pats at #6 to take Terrell and Belichick held firm and took Seymour. People were livid.

Seeing what little highlights there are of him he looks like a slow/plodding guy and he's certainly done nothing on a team that has no wideouts...
Terrell's been a joke, but please don't forget the Bears have Marty Booker, who somehow keeps putting up great numbers with the "spectacular" Bears QBs. HE'S a wideout.

Dez White, on the other hand...yuck!

AgPete
03-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Not a bad idea actually.

I agree with you guys, I think he'd make a solid backup in Atlanta. Don't know what Mora's plans are for the offense but if they continue to fit it to Vick, Kordell should be okay. Just don't expect any of those off balance bombs that Vick can throw with his cannon. ;)

Desnudo
03-04-2004, 12:40 PM
I heard Kordell was retiring to pimp a stable of shemales back in Pittsburgh.