PDA

View Full Version : Seinfeld coming out on DVD

Sun Tzu
03-02-2004, 01:19 PM
I saw this on the toob last night. They are very close to coming to an agreement with the cast of Seinfeld so they can release all 9 seasons of Seinfeld on DVD. Supposedely their contracts originally called for each of them to get about 1% of the profits of DVD sales from Seinfeld. When they announced they were going to release the series on DVD the cast would not allow it. However they say they have come to an agreement (or are just about there) in which they will all get what they feel is an acceptable share of the profits. They did not say how much they will be getting, but I'm pretty sure they don't really need that $$$. Oh well, yay for us. :)

rkmsuf
03-02-2004, 01:22 PM
I believe the issue was Jerry Seinfeld was the only one schedule to make any money. I believe the others have been included now opening the door for their participation in all the extras.

I'm sure it will sell but myself I've seen them all multiple times and it's so heavily syndicated that on weekday nights it's like my own dvd collection on TBS and FOX...

Logan
03-02-2004, 01:24 PM
It was agreed upon last week.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040227/SEINFELD27/TPTechinvestor/

kcchief19
03-02-2004, 01:28 PM
That's closer, rkmsuf. TV on DVD was a completely foreign concept even when Seinfeld went off the air, so they in fact had no residual off DVDs, and therefore were initially unwilling to take part in the DVD. tvshowsondvd.com, an excellent resource for this type of info, has been keeping an eye on this since the negotiations over money reared up last year.

Bottom line was that the studio could have released the shows and the only people who would have made money would have been the producers, which included Seinfeld. But cutting the cast in on the deal ensure their participation in extras, which will certainly be one of the key selling points for a DVD of a TV show with such universal broadcast availability like Seinfeld has right now.

kcchief19
03-02-2004, 01:29 PM
BTW, most rumors point toward a December release for the first set.

FBPro
03-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Awesome

pjstp20
03-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Unless the first season is loaded with extras I probably won't get it. I dont think they really hit their stride till season 3.

Logan
08-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Major bump for this...

Seasons 1 & 2 will be released together. Season 3 will be separate. Both will be released on November 23rd.

They carry an MSRP of $49.99 each, but currently Amazon has them for pre-order at $32.99 each. I can't see anyway it will be cheaper in the future.

Also, if anyone is familiar with Amazon's Share The Love, its basically a way for people to save an easy 10% on a purchase, by sharing among friends.

Someone has already sent me love, so I will be able to buy them both for $29.22 each (with free shipping). I can then turn around and send the same 10% off these seasons (the original $32) to an unlimited number of people, who can then send it to more people. In return, if someone purchases it through my referral, I will be credited with 10% off my next purchase (up to $3.29 off I would guess).

Anyway, if you're planning on pre-ordering it, and would like it for $29.22, post or PM me your e-mail addys, I will pass along the savings.

Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
08-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Someone hide this thread from Arlie! He will buy it before Christmas and Santa won't know what to get him!

Draft Dodger
08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Someone hide this thread from Arlie! He will buy it before Christmas and Santa won't know what to get him!

tell Arlie he's unemployed, and doesn't have the disposable income anymore. :D

I don't get who would buy this - the damn show is almost always on TV as it is.