PDA

View Full Version : Moss trade to Dolphins?

Kodos
03-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before, but to me this is horrifying.

Miami and Minnesota discuss trading Randy Moss (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-moss030304,0,1619116.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front)

Dolphins, Vikings deny Moss trade reports

By KEVEN LERNER
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted March 3 2004, 11:37 AM EST

DAVIE -- The Dolphins and Vikings are denying reports that the teams had serious talks about a trade involving star receiver Randy Moss.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press is reporting that Moss could be headed to the Dolphins in exchange for a package that would include some combination of defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, cornerback Sam Madison, receiver Chris Chambers and draft picks.

Sources close to the deal told the Pioneer Press that the Vikings first contacted the Dolphins about trade talks, which were held within the past few days. There is no indication when or if either team will continue pursuing the deal.

But the Vikings have denied all trade speculation that began surfacing Monday surrounding Moss, who had 111 receptions for 1,632 yards and a career-best 17 touchdowns last season.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the high-profile Moss would demand Herschel Walker-type compensation from any team willing to trade for him. (In October 1989, the Dallas Cowboys traded Walker to the Vikings for five players and seven draft picks.)

In July 2001, Moss signed an eight-year, $75 million contract that included a then-record $18 million signing bonus. However, the contract does not include a no-trade clause. Also lessening complications in a potential trade would be the Vikings' salary-cap flexibility. They are $33.33 million under the cap -- the most room in the NFL, the Pioneer Press reported.

mckerney
03-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Not gonna happen.

Kodos
03-03-2004, 03:36 PM
I sure hope not. But the fact that it was even discussed hypothetically horrifies me.

JAG
03-03-2004, 03:37 PM
It was posted.

hxxp://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/showthread.php?t=22339&page=2

pjstp20
03-03-2004, 03:37 PM
If they trade Chambers to get him it defeats the purpose of getting him in the first place. Hopefully this is just a rumor, but with the going ons this off season I dont know.

Ksyrup
03-03-2004, 03:38 PM
That would be an awful trade for the Dolphins.

mckerney
03-03-2004, 03:39 PM
I sure hope not. But the fact that it was even discussed hypothetically horrifies me.

I'm guessing it's because you don't want the best reciever in the game to save Wanny's job? Understandable.

rkmsuf
03-03-2004, 03:40 PM
They should do that, go get Kurt Warner and then sign Woody. Then you are looking at a title...

SunDancer
03-03-2004, 03:48 PM
That would be a horrible trade. They package being discuss is WAY too much for Moss. I take Madison over Moss anyday. Top-level corners are a must, and rare.

cthomer5000
03-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I agree with the sentiment that giving up Chambers just makes the deal nearly pointless. I can understand giving up some defense (and/or draft picks) for offense, but trading that stuff and your top receiver for a better receiver is just a bad idea.

Ksyrup
03-03-2004, 03:51 PM
I agree with the sentiment that giving up Chambers just makes the deal nearly pointless. I can understand giving up some defense (and/or draft picks) for offense, but trading that stuff and your top receiver for a better receiver is just a bad idea.
Not to mention picks?!

SunDancer
03-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Doesn't make more sense when the draft is high in quality and deep with receivers this year.

JAG
03-03-2004, 03:56 PM
As mentioned in the other thread, the Vikings probably wouldn't do this deal anyway because the Dolphins mentioned in the trade are all in the final year of their contracts.

miami_fan
03-03-2004, 04:08 PM
I just knew that no team would be stupid enough to make such a trade after the Vikings did it in '89. Little did I know my team would even suggest being the volunteer idiots. What is it about the draft that causes the Dolphins to trade away all its picks? Madison for Moss straight up would not bother me (No, I have not check to see if contracts match up) cause I believe Madison has lost a step. But Ogunleye and Chambers and picks? Maybe we would be better off with Marino in charge. This is the type of deal an novice would make :mad:

Kodos
03-03-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm guessing it's because you don't want the best reciever in the game to save Wanny's job? Understandable.

Most physically gifted receiver? No argument here.

Best receiver? No sir.

Biggest jerk? I dunno. There's lots of fierce competition in that area...

jeff061
03-03-2004, 04:34 PM
I honestly don't think Moss is the jerk the media has made him out to be. He was a punk ass in college, and isn't exactly a ray of sunshine in the pros, but I don't think he is anywhere near Terrell or Keyshawn stature in this department.

Fritz
03-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Moss or any other WR wont matter a lick in the Fins don't do something to address their mostly vacant O-Line.

-Mojo Jojo-
03-03-2004, 05:00 PM
According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the high-profile Moss would demand Herschel Walker-type compensation from any team willing to trade for him.

Why would he want to go to a team that just screwed itself over to get him? Wouldn't he rather play for someone competitive? I'd think the best scenario is to go to a top contender who just traded a 3rd string kicker for him...

Franklinnoble
03-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Moss or any other WR wont matter a lick in the Fins don't do something to address their mostly vacant O-Line.

Yeah, and AJ Feeley to Randy Moss doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of the AFC East.

jeff061
03-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Feeley's going to be tossing up Int's all year. With or without a Randy Moss.

Carligula
03-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Most physically gifted receiver? No argument here.

Best receiver? No sir.

Biggest jerk? I dunno. There's lots of fierce competition in that area...

Who do you think is a better one? Out of curiousity. I have no axe to grind either way. Marvin Harrison perhaps, but there you have to wonder what any good receiver could accomplish on the other end of Manning's passes. I can't think of anyone else particularly close.

Kodos
03-04-2004, 01:39 AM
I'd take Harrison over him, because he's not a headcase.

I'd take Terrell Owens because he plays harder.

I'd take any number of young up and coming WRs over Moss, just because they wouldn't be as prone to causing off-field headaches or take plays off. But that's just me. If you go strictly on physical skills, you should not pass on Moss. He is hands down the best in that regard.

Ksyrup
03-04-2004, 07:16 AM
FYI, I read this on SI.com:

There's one impediment to any potential trade talks between Minnesota and Miami regarding superstar receiver Randy Moss, no matter how serious or exploratory they were: Dolphins restricted free-agent defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, who undoubtedly would be part of any deal, can't be traded while he is he protected by Miami's tender (which happens to be the maximum first and third-round tender). He would have to be signed in order to be dealt.