PDA

View Full Version : AP reports Skins sign Shawn Springs

Maple Leafs
03-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Any Seahawks homers care to comment? Springs was dominant a few years back but I was under the impression that he had really lost a step.

Deattribution
03-03-2004, 05:29 PM
They are still definitely going to miss Bailey, and Smoot is probably better even, but he should prevent whatever side he's covering from being a glaring hole.

Injuries have slowed him down considerably, but perhaps he can step it up.

GoSeahawks
03-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Springs is past his prime mainly because of injuries. I am really not that sad to see him go.

dawgfan
03-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Any Seahawks homers care to comment? Springs was dominant a few years back but I was under the impression that he had really lost a step.

His hamstring injuries have hampered him, but even ignoring any injury concerns the general feeling was that he was overrated.

Travis
03-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Considering that Trufant and Lucas were going to be our 1-2 combo, not a huge loss. He would have made a great nickle back for us if we could have signed him for cheap, but something tells me Washington put a few extra zero's on the cheque.

MizzouRah
03-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Damn, I thought he would have been a good fit for the Rams.

Todd

Kodos
03-03-2004, 05:45 PM
The Redskins seem to have a real talent for signing former big name players who are well past their prime for huge sums of money. Glad to see that the trend continues...

korme
03-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Springs Winfield Plummer all top FA corners, all hailing from Ohio State. Nice.

Subby
03-03-2004, 06:05 PM
The Redskins seem to have a real talent for signing former big name players who are well past their prime for huge sums of money. Glad to see that the trend continues... AJ Feeley says hi...

JAG
03-03-2004, 06:29 PM
AJ Feeley says hi...
Even though I do agree with Kodos...

LOL!

Franklinnoble
03-03-2004, 06:29 PM
AJ Feeley says hi...

Nice. :D

Kodos
03-03-2004, 06:42 PM
AJ Feeley says hi...

Howdy, AJ. You won't find me defending the Dolphins in any way. Following the Marino fiasco, I have just plain given up on ever being able to root for them again. The days when I was proud to be a Dolphin fan have long since passed. Just about everything that made me love them is now gone. Marino. Shula. The Marks brothers. O.J. McDuffie. All gone. If the last few guys who I still like such as Zach Thomas, Ogunleye, and Chambers weren't there, I could root against the new Dolphins without any remorse at all. Hell, if only Zach Thomas were to somehow escape Dave's evil clutches, I could be quite happy rooting against them. But Zach's there to take away any joy I might have in seeing them lose. :( The whole current situation with the Dolphins is just an utter fiasco for me as a former fan.

Once again I am a man without a team, waiting for a sign as to who I can root for with honest enthusiasm. It's been so long since I've had that. Since the day Marino retired, really. I like what Atlanta is doing, and they were my favorite team before Marino came around and compelled me to root for the Fins. So there's history there. Now that I'll have the NFL package next year, I'll be able to see their games every week and maybe develop a real attachment to the team. Maybe Michael Vick can bring the same kind of excitement that watching Marino play used to give me.

On the other hand, I've always been fond of Shanahan and the Broncos. In my dream scenario, Shanahan would become the new coach in Atlanta. That would make my decision easy.

Tampa Bay is doing a good job of purging out the jerks (Keyshawn and Sapp), and I love Jon Gruden as a coach. Heck, who knows - maybe the new administration in Chicago can make me start to like them. I don't know anymore. I'm just waiting to see who captures my imagination.

In the meantime, I can occupy myself with the one joy that never waivers. Rooting against the jerks. Daniel Snyder. Jerry Jones. Keyshawn. Moss. Sapp. Romanowski (if he finds a new team). Al Davis. Rooting against them is the only thing I've got right now, and so, I will do that with gusto, until I have something better to do. Enjoy Shawn Springs. I think he just might be the final piece of the puzzle down there in Washington. :p

miami_fan
03-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Howdy, AJ. You won't find me defending the Dolphins in any way. Following the Marino fiasco, I have just plain given up on ever being able to root for them again. The days when I was proud to be a Dolphin fan have long since passed. Just about everything that made me love them is now gone. Marino. Shula. The Marks brothers. O.J. McDuffie. All gone. If the last few guys who I still like such as Zach Thomas, Ogunleye, and Chambers weren't there, I could root against the new Dolphins without any remorse at all. Hell, if only Zach Thomas were to somehow escape Dave's evil clutches, I could be quite happy rooting against them. But Zach's there to take away any joy I might have in seeing them lose. :( The whole current situation with the Dolphins is just an utter fiasco for me as a former fan.

Once again I am a man without a team, waiting for a sign as to who I can root for with honest enthusiasm. It's been so long since I've had that. Since the day Marino retired, really. I like what Atlanta is doing, and they were my favorite team before Marino came around and compelled me to root for the Fins. So there's history there. Now that I'll have the NFL package next year, I'll be able to see their games every week and maybe develop a real attachment to the team. Maybe Michael Vick can bring the same kind of excitement that watching Marino play used to give me.

On the other hand, I've always been fond of Shanahan and the Broncos. In my dream scenario, Shanahan would become the new coach in Atlanta. That would make my decision easy.

Tampa Bay is doing a good job of purging out the jerks (Keyshawn and Sapp), and I love Jon Gruden as a coach. Heck, who knows - maybe the new administration in Chicago can make me start to like them. I don't know anymore. I'm just waiting to see who captures my imagination.

In the meantime, I can occupy myself with the one joy that never waivers. Rooting against the jerks. Daniel Snyder. Jerry Jones. Keyshawn. Moss. Sapp. Romanowski (if he finds a new team). Al Davis. Rooting against them is the only thing I've got right now, and so, I will do that with gusto, until I have something better to do. Enjoy Shawn Springs. I think he just might be the final piece of the puzzle down there in Washington. :p

I can't ever see myself rooting for another team. 20 years is a long time

Franklinnoble
03-04-2004, 12:05 AM
You know, Danny Snyder really isn't a bad guy. He's like the Mark Cuban of the NFL. He's just a rich kid who got to buy his favorite childhood team, and he's basically behaved like it from the start. Maybe he's finally growing up... I don't know. But there are plenty of teams with owners that don't even try, and I'm at least appreciative of the fact that he puts his money where his mouth is.

stevew
03-04-2004, 12:07 AM
I guess snyder is still playing Madden 2000 at his house

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 08:39 AM
I can't ever see myself rooting for another team. 20 years is a long time
When I don't agree with a single thing management or coaching has done in 2 years, it really starts to make you wonder. I'm a Jets fan, and absolutely hate this Herman Edwards/Terry Bradway era. Neither appears to know what they are doing, they seem to have no plan in terms of where the team is headed (in terms of personnel or coaching philosophy), and they keep letting players walk out the door.

I will continue to root for my favorite ever player, Curtis Martin, and a Chad Pennington - the defiintion of a class act. Still, my enthusiasm for the team has sunk to all-time lows, because the front office is absolutely running the squad into the ground.

I've been closely following Houston since they were in the hunt for the 32nd franchise, and have followed them with microscopic level of attention since they started. I like to consider them my 2nd favorite team, and root for them whenever the Jets are not playing them.

Havok
03-04-2004, 11:13 AM
You know, Danny Snyder really isn't a bad guy. He's like the Mark Cuban of the NFL. He's just a rich kid who got to buy his favorite childhood team, and he's basically behaved like it from the start. Maybe he's finally growing up... I don't know. But there are plenty of teams with owners that don't even try, and I'm at least appreciative of the fact that he puts his money where his mouth is.

Amen......

Honolulu_Blue
03-04-2004, 11:37 AM

Right city, wrong coach. Snyder is more Jones than Cuban. He's a petty little tyrant of a man, not some goofy-ass man-child living out his dreams. Sure, maybe he is living out his dreams, but he's doing it like a little Napolean. The guy's an ass. Pure and simple. I don't dislike him for spending money to try and make his team better, it's all the other stuff, the ego stuff and the meddling nonsense. That's what annoys. That's what makes him an ass, a jerk, and yet another reason to dislike the Redskins (the first few being that the Lions have never won in D.C. EVER and that NFC Championship game where the Redskings killed the Lions 45-10 or something. That was sad. :( )

AgPete
03-04-2004, 12:07 PM

I agree. As a Cowboys fan, I've had to endure some tough years as Jerry Jones lived vicariously through his team, but at least he wants to win. My team could be like the Jets where the owner apologizes on his deathbed for allowing the team to slip into mediocrity. If I had a billion dollars to blow, I'd probably do the same thing Jones and Snyder did in their careers. Hmmm...the oil business, the tech business, or football! Tough choice. ;)

Subby
03-04-2004, 12:21 PM
I like this signing. The cost to the franchise of Springs and Portis over the next three seasons is equal to that of Denver's cost for Bailey over the same period.

I love Champ, but he was not the second coming of Lester Hayes. He missed a number of key plays last season and probably got back to the Pro Bowl on name (Smoot had a better season.)

As for The Danny, he now takes his marching orders from Gibbs. Gibbs and his coaching staff tells Snyder what they need, and Snyder goes out and gets it.

While I am witholding judgement on the Brunnell trade, I have to say that, overall, I am happy with how the past two off-seasons have gone...

JAG
03-04-2004, 01:22 PM
I think at some point, the Redskins having 5 draft picks over the past two years will come back to haunt them. The draft is pretty much the only way to get a cheap, good, young player and those are the kind of guys you want on your cap. Granted, the Redskins are better off than had they picked a bunch of duds, but they'll always have less depth than teams that spend more prudently and hit on at least half of their draft picks.