PDA

View Full Version : World's Easiest Final Exam.

ScottVib
03-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Below is the final exam that former Georgia Assistant Coach Jim Harrick Jr. gave to his Strategies and Principles of Basketball Coaching class in 2001. Not surprising every student in the class got an A. That includes all 3 scholarship basketball players who didn't even both to take the exam.

The 20-question final exam Jim Harrick Jr. gave to his Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball class in fall 2001:
1. How many goals are on a basketball court?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. 4

2. How many players are allowed to play at one time on any one team in a regulation game?
a. 2
b. 3
c. 4
d. 5

3. In what league to (sic) the Georgia Bulldogs compete?
a. ACC
b. Big Ten
c. SEC
d. Pac 10

4. What is the name of the coliseum where the Georgia Bulldogs play?
a. Cameron Indoor Arena
b. Stegeman Coliseum
c. Carrier Dome
d. Pauley Pavilion

5. How many halves are in a college basketball game?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. 4

6. How many quarters are in a high school basketball game?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. 4

7. How many points does one field goal account for in a Basketball Game?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. 4

8. How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a Basketball Game?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. 4

9. How many officials referee a college basketball game?
a. 2
b. 4
c. 6
d. 3

10. How many teams are in the NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship Tournament?
a. 48
b. 64
c. 65
d. 32

11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?
a. Eye Exam
b. How Do The Grits Taste Exam
c. Bug Control Exam
d. Georgia Exit Exam

12. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in home games?
a. White
b. Red
c. Black
d. Silver

13. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in away games?
a. Pink
b. Blue
c. Orange
d. Red

14. How many minutes are played in a college basketball contest?
a. 20
b. 40
c. 60
d. 90

15. How many minutes are played in a high school basketball game?
a. 15
b. 30
c. 32
d. 45

16. Diagram the 3-point line.

17. Diagram the half-court line.

18. How many fouls is a player allowed to have in one Basketball game before fouling out in that game?
a. 3
b. 5
c. 7
d. 0

19. If you go on to become a huge coaching success, to whom will you tribute (sic) the credit?
a. Mike Krzyzewski
b. Bobby Knight
c. John Wooden
d. Jim Harrick Jr.

20. In your opinion, who is the best Division I assistant coach in the country?
a. Ron Jursa (sic)
b. John Pelphrey
c. Jim Harrick Jr.
d. Steve Wojciechowski

Source: University of Georgia

Source: CNNSI.com: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/ncaa/03/03/bc.bkc.georgia.easyclas.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

ISiddiqui
03-03-2004, 09:06 PM
8. How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a Basketball Game?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. 4

LOLOLOLOL

clintl
03-03-2004, 09:10 PM
As funny as that is, it's pretty damn close as far as level of difficulty to what one of my professors gave for a graduate-level electrical engineering course I took. (We met at a pizza parlor for the final, and he explained that he was required by the university to give some kind of final exam.)

tucker342
03-03-2004, 09:40 PM
I think my IQ went down 10 points just be reading through that exam...

RPI-Fan
03-03-2004, 09:49 PM
As funny as that is, it's pretty damn close as far as level of difficulty to what one of my professors gave for a graduate-level electrical engineering course I took. (We met at a pizza parlor for the final, and he explained that he was required by the university to give some kind of final exam.)

I get the feeling this was probably some professor who had a big problem with authority, and wanted to do things his way. If he couldn't have it exaclty how he wanted it, he'd manipulate it so he was in total control anyways.

vex
03-03-2004, 09:53 PM
How much more difficult could it be made anyways?

clintl
03-03-2004, 10:06 PM
I get the feeling this was probably some professor who had a big problem with authority, and wanted to do things his way. If he couldn't have it exaclty how he wanted it, he'd manipulate it so he was in total control anyways.

Not really. And the course itself was quite difficult. The thing is, back then at my alma mater, a lot of the grad level engineering courses were very small (this one had maybe 8 students), and the professors tended to be conduct them pretty informally. His particular method in this course was to give us homework every time, but instead of collecting it, he randomly picked people to show what they did on the board in class at the next meeting. He didn't really need to test, because he already knew how well we understood the material.

Ben E Lou
03-04-2004, 04:20 AM
In all fairness, I took a class in "Basketball" at Tech, and the final exam was very similar to that one....and even shorter: 10 questions. What's funnier is that we exchanged papers to grade them. He then asked, "Did anybody miss any?" When there was silence for a few seconds, we all got 100 on the exam. To my knowledge, no players were in the class. (I say "to my knowledge" because none of them actually were ever physically present, but it is fully possible that some were on the class roll and we didn't know it, 'cause this "class" was taught by an assistant coach.)

I'd imagine this sort of thing goes on everywhere.

Samdari
03-04-2004, 07:18 AM
I'd imagine this sort of thing goes on everywhere.

I know of at least one major D-I school where there is nothing like this going on.

digamma
03-04-2004, 09:09 AM
In all fairness, I took a class in "Basketball" at Tech, and the final exam was very similar to that one....and even shorter: 10 questions. What's funnier is that we exchanged papers to grade them. He then asked, "Did anybody miss any?" When there was silence for a few seconds, we all got 100 on the exam. To my knowledge, no players were in the class. (I say "to my knowledge" because none of them actually were ever physically present, but it is fully possible that some were on the class roll and we didn't know it, 'cause this "class" was taught by an assistant coach.)

I'd imagine this sort of thing goes on everywhere.Jimmy Hebron (long time Tech assistant hoops coach) taught it, right?

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 09:33 AM
11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?
a. Eye Exam
b. How Do The Grits Taste Exam
c. Bug Control Exam
d. Georgia Exit Exam

hmmm... lemme think.

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 09:37 AM
I wonder if they got 10 points for writing their name...

Buzzbee
03-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Of course you realize that Harrick's exam is probably one of the more difficult exams given at the University [sic] of Georgia. :p

gstelmack
03-04-2004, 11:18 AM
How much more difficult could it be made anyways?
Given that the title of the course was "Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball", I'd say not that difficult at all. I'd make it an essay test:

Describe what might make you want to play a man-to-man defense over a zone defense.
Describe the Triangle offense.
etc.

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 11:21 AM
You could adopt different versions for different situations...for example here's one from Texas Tech:

12. When coach Knight tells you that you are a son of a motherless whore what does he want you to do?

a. box out better
b. go hunting with him
c. work on your free throws

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Given that the title of the course was "Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball", I'd say not that difficult at all. I'd make it an essay test:

Describe what might make you want to play a man-to-man defense over a zone defense.
Describe the Triangle offense.
etc.
exactly. There could be lots of essay questions.

Your star center has just received his 4th foul late in the 3rd quarter. You are currently down 2 points, and there is a considerable drop-off in talent for your reserve center. Should you sit your start down? If so, when do you re-insert him?

A billion real strategy questions could be asked to determine if the kids are actually thinking critically about game decisions. There wouldn't be 1 right answer, but as long as they justified their decisions with some logical reasoning, that would be all that mattered.

BigJohn&TheLions
03-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Maurice Clarett just failed the exam...

Ben E Lou
03-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Jimmy Hebron (long time Tech assistant hoops coach) taught it, right?Dang, I can't remember the dude's name, but if you'd asked me, I would have said that his first name was Kevin. He was a relatively short guy with curly hair.

digamma
03-04-2004, 01:17 PM
Dang, I can't remember the dude's name, but if you'd asked me, I would have said that his first name was Kevin. He was a relatively short guy with curly hair.
Yeah. That is Jimmy Hebron. Heavy New York accent? Really funny guy.

Ben E Lou
03-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Yeah. That is Jimmy Hebron. Heavy New York accent? Really funny guy.Yep. That was him.

Radii
03-04-2004, 01:41 PM
You could adopt different versions for different situations...for example here's one from Texas Tech:

12. When coach Knight tells you that you are a son of a motherless whore what does he want you to do?

a. box out better
b. go hunting with him
c. work on your free throws

This is the single best post on this message board in the 4 years or so that I have been here.

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
This is the single best post on this message board in the 4 years or so that I have been here.

It was no robe and wizard hat but thank you. I'm just trying to work hard and contribute...

finkenst
03-04-2004, 04:22 PM
I know of at least one major D-I school where there is nothing like this going on.
what's the definition of major d-1?

i can think of three d-1a schools that i'd be highly surprised if this sort of nonsense is going on.

Ksyrup
03-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Un-freakin-believable...

Jim Harrick Jr., who was fired from his job as assistant coach for Georgia's men's basketball team last year amid allegations of academic fraud, told NCAA investigators that he believed he deserved a Teacher of the Year Award for the course he taught.

<!-- END INLINE UNIT -->In a 103-page sworn statement Harrick gave to the university and NCAA investigators, he said he "got great reviews" from students and believed he "was doing a great job" while teaching a Principles and Strategies of Basketball course, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported in Friday's editions.

The school may face NCAA sanctions because of the course, at least in part. When Harrick and his father, Jim Harrick Sr., who served as the team's head coach, lost their jobs last year, allegations of academic fraud arose from the final exam Harrick Jr. gave in the course, which school officials designed to train future coaches.

The now infamous final, which had a series of multiple-choice questions, two of which asked how many points a three-point shot earns and the number of halves in a game, appears to be just one of the many questionable tactics Harrick used in his course, according to a report in the Journal-Constitution.

According to the statements and other court records, Harrick awarded A's to three varsity basketball players enrolled in the course just for attending team practices and games, events they were already required to attend.

Students told NCAA investigators, according to the paper, that attendance and the final exam were optional, and that by the time Harrick gave the test at least half of the class had stopped showing up.

Students said Harrick outlined a plan in which they could receive an A by attending "some" classes, along with at least one varsity basketball game and one team practice, the paper said.

According to the report, Harrick at first handed out a course plan that included a timeline of class work and practical instruction in the gym and said that grades would be based on midterm and final exams, classroom attendance and participation, and outside assignments.

But a few weeks into the semester, students said Harrick explained a new course plan in which exams and class attendance were optional. Harrick's attorney, Herman Kauffman, says a previous instructor had prepared the originally distributed syllabus.

In statements contained in the court files, students said after Harrick distributed the second plan, attendance declined dramatically and no more than 10 to 15 of the 39 total students enrolled came to the class, according to the paper.

Three of the varsity basketball players in the class -- Chris Daniels, Rashad White and Tony Cole -- didn't take the exam and rarely attended the class.

"They were there the first day, and that was about it," Julie Raiskums, a varsity softball player in the class and now a graduate assistant basketball coach at LaGrange College, told NCAA investigators.

Other students said the three basketball players made their first appearance in class in mid-October, about two months into the semester, when they began watching the team practice, the paper reported.

Harrick told investigators that Cole "chose to come to practice every day, not have to go to class ... And Tony wasn't the only one to do that. We had several athletes, females, ordinary students that felt, 'Hey, it's beneficial, plus it fits in my schedule better.'

"I thought personally it was a great idea. I took great pride in that class ... Teacher of the Year award, I thought I was going to get," Harrick said.

Harrick and his father filed a lawsuit last month against the university and several school officials, claiming they were defamed by the university's allegations that they violated NCAA rules.

The university intends to argue to the NCAA's infraction committee next month that the class Harrick Jr. taught is part of a legitimate academic program to train future coaches, and that is was Harrick who corrupted the course, the Journal-Constitution reported.