PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys agree to deal with Keyshawn.....

cincyreds
03-04-2004, 07:23 AM
Jerry just give him the *** money okay?

Keyshawn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1749826)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Is it me, or does this just seem like way too much money for a #2 receiver?

03-04-2004, 08:19 AM
The Cowboys have officially turned into the Redskins.

JAG
03-04-2004, 08:33 AM
cthomer, it's not you. I just don't understand why they want to pay him so much, I can't believe he'd get anything close to that on the open market. Oh well.

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 08:41 AM
cthomer, it's not you. I just don't understand why they want to pay him so much, I can't believe he'd get anything close to that on the open market. Oh well.
Exactly. I think 2.5 million a year would be the max I'd be willing to give him. He can definitely catch and block, but a lot of guys can do that.

RendeR
03-04-2004, 10:25 AM
*cackles* oh how the tuna sandwich churns..........

can't wait to see the 'Boys finishing 4th in their division this season. Oh and I'll enjoy the Bengals taking it to Me-Shawn and Can't-cy when they meet, in Cincy I believe.

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 10:32 AM
The report now is that Galloway will not take a pay cut but Dallas is offering Tampa a 5th round pick to acquire Johnson.

AgPete
03-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Is it me, or does this just seem like way too much money for a #2 receiver?

Keyshawn is just what the Cowboys need. You guys watch. You're cracking on the trade now but he's going to help light up that offense. Now they just need a running game.

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Keyshawn is just what the Cowboys need. You guys watch. You're cracking on the trade now but he's going to help light up that offense. Now they just need a running game.
I'm not disputing the trade at all, I think Key is a perfect fit. He was great here in New York, and I'm confident Parcells will again get the most possible out of him.

I just think it's much too much money, and fear Parcells will leave the 'Boys in as bad a cap position as he did the Jets.

AgPete
03-04-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm not disputing the trade at all, I think Key is a perfect fit. He was great here in New York, and I'm confident Parcells will again get the most possible out of him.

I just think it's much too much money, and fear Parcells will leave the 'Boys in as bad a cap position as he did the Jets.

Do you know what the signing bonus is? I didn't see it in the article. For 5 years at $20 million I imagine it can't be that big. I know he'll play for at least 2 years so I doubt the cap hit will be that much. I'm not surprised at all that as someone here once put it, "One Route Galloway" is holding out for a larger salary from Tampa Bay. I read they offered him one million which pretty low but Galloway is the same player who sat out a year in Seattle. In Galloway's mind, he'll always be the next Bob Hayes. :rolleyes:

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Do you know what the signing bonus is? I didn't see it in the article. For 5 years at $20 million I imagine it can't be that big. I know he'll play for at least 2 years so I doubt the cap hit will be that much. I'm not surprised at all that as someone here once put it, "One Route Galloway" is holding out for a larger salary from Tampa Bay. I read they offered him one million which pretty low but Galloway is the same player who sat out a year in Seattle. In Galloway's mind, he'll always be the next Bob Hayes. :rolleyes:
The ESPN article (which seems to have been replaced with a revised or different article) originally said he could make up to 9 million in the first year leading me to think the bonus is bigger than it should be, and he must have some easily reachable incentives.

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 11:31 AM
dola:

A source involved in the negotiations told The Associated Press that Johnson's deal with Dallas includes a $4 million signing bonus and $2 million base salary for 2004. He could earn more with incentives.
My guess is he will play never see the 4th year of this deal, and maybe not even year 3. The base salaries are probably something like 2, 3, 5, 6.

edit: While I still think they are overpaying, it's probably not a terrible contract if you look at it as 2 or 3 year deal.

Desnudo
03-04-2004, 12:14 PM

And three other receivers and a QB.

JeeberD
03-04-2004, 03:46 PM
And three other receivers and a QB.

Bryant, Glenn, and Key make up a very nice trio of receivers. And once the Cowboys get a real running back, Q will be fine...

miami_fan
03-06-2004, 12:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1752144

Friday, March 5, 2004

Associated Press
DALLAS -- Talks between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Joey Galloway have hit a dead end, forcing the Dallas Cowboys to come up with a Plan B in their bid to acquire Keyshawn Johnson.

The proposed swap of receivers was contingent on both players renegotiating their contracts. Dallas and Johnson have agreed on a $20 million, four-year deal, but Tampa Bay and Galloway never came close to an agreement.

The salary cap-strapped Bucs held firm to an offer of $1 million for one year, agent Leigh Steinberg said Friday. Galloway is due $6.31 million this season, $7.5 million next season and $8.5 million in 2006 under his existing contract.

"I would think that it's extremely unlikely that we would ever strike an accord on these economic terms," Steinberg said. "Given the nature of the way Tampa views their cap constraints, their position appears to be unmoveable. ...

"Joey clearly understood he needed to make a major adjustment in his compensation. But not to the level that was offered."

The Cowboys could still get Johnson by trading a draft pick. Or Tampa Bay could cut Johnson and Dallas could sign him as a free agent.

The Bucs would like to get something back for their initial investment of two first-round draft picks when they acquired Johnson from the New York Jets, even if it's just a late-round pick in 2005 or '06.

The matter may not be resolved for nearly four weeks. March 31 is Tampa Bay's deadline because Johnson is due a $1 million roster bonus the next day and the club has no intention of paying it.

The Bucs deactivated Johnson the final six games of last season because of his ongoing problems with coach Jon Gruden. Johnson would likely get along better with Cowboys coach Bill Parcells because he's played for him before.

Parcells drafted Johnson for the Jets with the first overall pick in the 1996 draft and coached him for three seasons.

Johnson and his agent, Jerome Stanley, could not immediately be reached for comment Friday.

Another offshoot of the breakdown between Galloway and the Bucs is what the Cowboys would do with Galloway if they get Johnson.

Dallas could try renegotiating, but is more likely to cut him. The Cowboys would then have to decide whether to do it before or after June 1, the difference being how much of a hit they'd want to take on this year's salary cap.

Steinberg said he's kept Dallas player personnel director Stephen Jones informed of his stalled talks with Tampa Bay, but they haven't discussed Galloway's status if the trade doesn't happen.

"I'm not clear what the next step will be," Steinberg said. "The situation will keep evolving."

Also Friday, the Cowboys were visited by offensive lineman Adam Meadows and they continued talking to Broncos defensive end Bert Berry, who was in town Thursday.

Dallas also is looking at cornerbacks and the market shrunk Friday with Antoine Winfield going to Minnesota and Ahmed Plummer sticking with San Francisco. That could make the Cowboys more interested in Philadelphia's Bobby Taylor, who called the club this week to say he's interested in them.

Running back Duce Staley, another Steinberg client, could be making a visit to Dallas. He's been to Tampa Bay and is headed to Pittsburgh on Sunday.

"Stephen expressed some interest and was considering whether a trip made sense," Steinberg said.

stevew
03-06-2004, 01:56 AM
Bryant, Glenn, and Key make up a very nice trio of receivers. And once the Cowboys get a real running back, Q will be fine...

This is Quincy Carter you are talking about?
Every game Ive seen him play hes made bad throws and reads. He isnt starter quality. Id say he'd be like a 25/40 in FOF terms.