Qwikshot
03-04-2004, 02:09 PM
hxxp://www.sportsline.com/

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 02:10 PM
that's a great deal for Baltimore...

TredWel
03-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Geez, if he was complaining that Jeff Garcia wasn't talented enough to throw him the ball, I don't want to hear what he thinks about Baltimore's QB situation.

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Maybe I'm retarded, but I can't seem to find the article. Can someone please post a direct link to the story?

Suicane75
03-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Jevon Kearse better catch 80 passes this year.
Son Of A.........................

Qwikshot
Maybe I'm retarded, but I can't seem to find the article. Can someone please post a direct link to the story?

No direct article yet, just happened...main blurb on front page of the site.

rkmsuf

don't sell yourself short...;)

it's a little window on the sportsline front page. There is no article...

Suicane75
hxxp://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7142347

AgPete
03-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Jamal Lewis and TO on the same offense. As long as Boller steps up in his second year, that's a decent offense to go with that sometimes lethal 3-4.

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm guessing Baltimore gives him a sweet new deal...

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 02:16 PM
whew. I'm honestly glad the Jets dodged that bullet. My guess is the Eagles were also offering their 2nd rounder, which was 7 picks lower.

Qwikshot
03-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Eagles pulled out because of the 20 million dollar signing bonus...

Samdari
03-04-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm guessing Baltimore gives him a sweet new deal...

Agreed. I can't see anyone trading for that {confused, misunderstood young man} without knowing that he wants to be there, and how much its going to cost for him to want to be there.

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Jay Glazer better be right...no sign on ESPN yet.

Perfect fit for the Ravens. Ray Lewis will keep his ass in line and I think Bilick is perfect for him...

AgPete
03-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Jay Glazer better be right...no sign on ESPN yet.

Perfect fit for the Ravens. Ray Lewis will keep his ass in line and I think Bilick is perfect for him...

Yep, I can't imagine Ray Lewis letting him get away with some of that sh!t he did in San Fran. His peers are going to keep him in line.

cthomer5000
Billick seriously has to do something at least decent with the passing offense if he hopes to retain this "QB genius" label broadcasters still use when covering the Ravens.

Qwikshot
hxxp://www.sf49ers.com confirms.

Samdari
03-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Ray Lewis will keep his ass in line

I'll believe it when I see it. Lewis keeps people in line because everyone on the team regards him with awe. TO regards only one man on earth with awe - bet you can't guess who?

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Billick seriously has to do something at least decent with the passing offense if he hopes to retain this "QB genius" label broadcasters still use when covering the Ravens.

That is annoying but in some respect I admire Billick for adapting to the talent level of his team. At least he didn't try to jam a square peg into a round hole...

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 02:26 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Lewis keeps people in line because everyone on the team regards him with awe. TO regards only one man on earth with awe - bet you can't guess who?

I really think those guys will find a common ground. Winning cures a lot of ills and if nothing else you'd say both of those guys want to win...

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 02:26 PM
But would he do something that will turn the other 52 guys on the team against him? The team clearly does as Ray Lewis does, it would not be wise to conflict with him in any way.

"Terrell Owens would be the receivers leader on your team. Kyle Boller, Jamal Lewis, and Todd Heap have expressed excitement."

AgPete
03-04-2004, 02:28 PM
But would he do something that will turn the other 52 guys on the team against him? The team clearly does as Ray Lewis does, it would not be wise to conflict with him in any way.

"Terrell Owens would be the receivers leader on your team. Kyle Boller, Jamal Lewis, and Todd Heap have expressed excitement."

No doubt. You wanna be cornered by Lewis, Boulware, Suggs and the boys in the locker room? I think not.

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 02:31 PM
I think this is probably a better deal for Baltimore than it would have been for Philly. The one drawback is the Ravens gave up a second rounder, and they already do not have a first rounder (Kyle Boller trade). For one of the best-drafting teams in the league, that's a pretty big hit.

Buccaneer
03-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Yep, I can't imagine Ray Lewis letting him get away with some of that sh!t he did in San Fran. His peers are going to keep him in line.
This obviously does not extend to off-field sh!t, right?

rkmsuf
03-04-2004, 02:38 PM

I think it does. Since his trial Lewis has been a model citizen. That may or may not change your opinion of him but I think with the amount that will be invested in Owens, Lewis will at least aid in making sure TO is doing right by the Ravens organization...

AgPete
03-04-2004, 02:39 PM

I understand that some people will never give an athlete his proper due if he doesn't kiss babies and go to church on the weekends but like it or not, Ray Lewis is one of the most competitive, feared and intense linebackers EVER in the NFL. He brings EVERYONE around him to another level. Michael Irvin did the same with the Cowboys offense in his days and was only second to Rice as the most dominant receiver of his time. You may not agree with their off the field behavior but the name of the game is to win a Super Bowl. I don't know these guys personally so I'm not offended when they do something off the field. They're not family, and they're not a good friend, they're just someone I root for on the football field.

Samdari
03-04-2004, 02:44 PM

I firmly believe that TO only cares about the further glorification of TO, not a whit about the team. Perhaps he will prove me wrong, but he has done nothing to this point to show me otherwise. I believe he will complain when they throw only 15 passes in a game, and run JL 40 times, and they win.

Samdari
03-04-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm not offended when they do something off the field

I am offended by every murder I hear about, and hold it against the murderer in all cases.

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 02:54 PM
I firmly believe that TO only cares about the further glorification of TO, not a whit about the team. Perhaps he will prove me wrong, but he has done nothing to this point to show me otherwise. I believe he will complain when they throw only 15 passes in a game, and run JL 40 times, and they win.
I think the hope here is that this at least brings them to the level of balancing their offense a bit more. I don't expect to see such a 1930's look to the offense this coming season.

AgPete
03-04-2004, 02:54 PM
I am offended by every murder I hear about, and hold it against the murderer in all cases.

Then you must hate Rae Carruth because Lewis was never convicted of murder nor charged after his plea bargain. The original murder charge was in place by prosecutors to strongarm him to testify against his dumbf**k friends.

Franklinnoble
03-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Wow... idolizing Ray Lewis and Michael Irvin in one thread...

I didn't know you could get to FOFC from prison.

Sun Tzu
03-04-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm surprised all the 49ers got was the 51st overall pick, which is a mid-late second round pick. I figured they would get at least a late first round pick...hmm, oh well. With this trade and the release of dinkn'dunk (drinkn'drunk) Garcia the 49ers are expected to have $15-17mil in cap room in 2 years.

AgPete
03-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Wow... idolizing Ray Lewis and Michael Irvin in one thread...

I didn't know you could get to FOFC from prison.

Not idolizing. Just sick of people who don't respect athletes for their abilities. I can find just as many a**holes in any business but it's the pro athletes who get the blame because people expect someone who can run a 4.3 40 to somehow be a model citizen. Let's be real here.

Kodos
03-04-2004, 05:12 PM
I dislike jerks who have no regard for anyone except themselves... regardless of their chosen field. These guys just happen to be famous, and so it becomes easier to discover that they are in fact jerks.

Ray Lewis? Jerk.

Terrell Owens? Jerk.

Michael Irvin? Jerk.

Deion Sanders? Jerk.

Bill Romanowski? Jerk.

The list goes on and on... :)

sabotai
03-04-2004, 05:15 PM
I use to thought of Ray Lewis as a "jerk", but recently I have to say that's probably more of what people want their athletes to be and just don't (or won't) realize it. Since that shooting (which there is no evidence that Lewis took part in), what trouble has Lewis gotten into? Maybe some, I don't read all sports articles or watch all news shows. But it seems that lately Lewis has made an effort to be a role model instead of an "I'll do what I want" jerk.

But that's just my perception. It could easily be wrong.

Kodos
03-04-2004, 05:17 PM
For one thing, I can't stand Lewis's big stompin' dance move. :mad:

Vince
03-04-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm surprised all the 49ers got was the 51st overall pick, which is a mid-late second round pick. I figured they would get at least a late first round pick...
I thought along the same lines, but I thought a first rounder was out of reach. I thought a high-to-mid second-rounder rather than a mid-to-late second-rounder was more in order. But like I said in the other thread, I'm thrilled to get anything for him.

k0ruptr
03-04-2004, 07:20 PM
jerks make good ball players.

GrantDawg
03-04-2004, 07:51 PM
I use to thought of Ray Lewis as a "jerk", but recently I have to say that's probably more of what people want their athletes to be and just don't (or won't) realize it. Since that shooting (which there is no evidence that Lewis took part in), what trouble has Lewis gotten into? Maybe some, I don't read all sports articles or watch all news shows. But it seems that lately Lewis has made an effort to be a role model instead of an "I'll do what I want" jerk.

But that's just my perception. It could easily be wrong.
It was a stabbing, but I think you’re on to something. I do believe that whole incident (which he really wasn't guilty of anything but being at the wrong place with idiots) changed the way he conducted himself. I used to be a big time Ray basher, but not anymore. He seems to me to be a great player and team leader (which many of these jerks aren't, specifically TO and Meshawn).

tucker342
03-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Who cares if they smoke crack, or murder someone? As long as they win!!!

famatu
03-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Jamal Lewis and TO on the same offense. As long as Boller steps up in his second year, that's a decent offense to go with that sometimes lethal 3-4.

I think some people forget that Jamal might be going to prison for a long, long time if the allegations against him are true.

yabanci
03-04-2004, 10:02 PM
a lot of pressure on Boller.

sabotai
03-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Stabbing, yes, not shooting. My bad.

As long as Boller falls into the "Don't screw up" style of play, the Ravens offense should be decent. They have a receiver who won't (shouldn't) drop passes and can get open and an RB to pound the run and keep the defense honest. But...the first time TO only gets 2 or 3 catches in a game, he'll act like an ass and it'll all fall apart. And that's assuming Lewis doesn't end up in jail.

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 10:10 PM
I think some people forget that Jamal might be going to prison for a long, long time if the allegations against him are true.
The legal experts that have commented since the details came out are very skeptical the prosecution will be able to get a conviction. The bigger issue may actually end up being whether the NFL suspends him at all.

JPhillips
03-04-2004, 10:30 PM
And this is why we will never be satisfied with sports sims. Any one of us would have screamed bloody murder if our top reciever, also one of the top five in the NFL, could only fetch a mid-secound round pick. Of course this is after we went ballistic over the "Agent forgets paperwork and Owens is now not a free agent" message.

No matter what Jim can put in his game, the real thing will always be stranger and seemingly more unrealistic.

Razzlam
03-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Ray Lewis? Jerk.

Terrell Owens? Jerk.

Michael Irvin? Jerk.

Deion Sanders? Jerk.

Bill Romanowski? Jerk.

The list goes on and on...

HAHAHAH LOOK, It's an pro-bowl roster!!

Peregrine
03-04-2004, 11:43 PM
And this is why we will never be satisfied with sports sims. Any one of us would have screamed bloody murder if our top reciever, also one of the top five in the NFL, could only fetch a mid-secound round pick. Of course this is after we went ballistic over the "Agent forgets paperwork and Owens is now not a free agent" message.

No matter what Jim can put in his game, the real thing will always be stranger and seemingly more unrealistic.

Great post! I do think sometimes we get so wrapped up in our games and what is and isn't realistic that we forget just how wacky the real NFL can be.

Qwikshot
03-05-2004, 01:23 AM
Just an addendum, rumblings on one of the philly boards I lurk states that Philadelphia is filing a grievence of the trade. They stated that TO was coming to Philly for James Thrash and 3rd rounder. Take it for what it is worth, this may not be over.

Qwikshot
03-05-2004, 01:24 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/8110585.htm

hukarez
03-05-2004, 01:57 AM
The Ravens still have Marcus Robinson, do they not?

Rhone Ranger
03-05-2004, 03:38 AM
The Ravens still have Marcus Robinson, do they not?

He's a free agent. The Baltimore Sun speculates that the Ravens may be less interested in resigning him now that Owens is on the team.

But the other main receivers are Travis Taylor (very inconsistent) and Frank Sanders (didn't contribute much last year, may be past his prime). So I wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens try to resign Robinson especially if the price isn't too high. He had consistency problems too, but showed the most spark of any of the Ravens WRs (though that isn't saying much).

cthomer5000
03-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Just an addendum, rumblings on one of the philly boards I lurk states that Philadelphia is filing a grievence of the trade. They stated that TO was coming to Philly for James Thrash and 3rd rounder. Take it for what it is worth, this may not be over.
It doesn't really sound illegal, it just sounds like an asshole move on the part of the 49ers (as per the article). I don't think we'll see him ending up in Philly.

Of course, the Eagles could try offering the Ravens their first round pick for T.O. :)

Honolulu_Blue
03-05-2004, 05:48 AM
This could really make the Ravens dangerous.

They have top talent, we're talking All-Pro, at some key positions:

MLB: Lewis
LT: Ogden
RB: Lewis
WR: Owens
TE: Heap
Pass-Rush OLB/DE: Suggs
CB: McAllister

Some of these players could arguably be in the top 3 in their respective positions. If Boller is merely adequate, this team could be very very dangerous.

Samdari
03-05-2004, 06:48 AM
I think the hope here is that this at least brings them to the level of balancing their offense a bit more. I don't expect to see such a 1930's look to the offense this coming season.

Doesn't matter who the wideouts are if there is no QB.

Getting Owens for this offense is like trying to upgrade a Yugo for drag racing.

Samdari
03-05-2004, 06:51 AM
he really wasn't guilty of anything but being at the wrong place with idiots.

He did drive (err, hire) the getaway car.

rkmsuf
03-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Owens will make whoever the QB look better. If they can get any semblance of good QB play the Ravens are a dangerous team...

Honolulu_Blue
03-05-2004, 07:30 AM
Owens will make whoever the QB look better. If they can get any semblance of good QB play the Ravens are a dangerous team...

I reckon all they need is a "Dilfer-like" performance from the QB and they should be doing quite well.

Samdari
03-05-2004, 07:35 AM
If they can get any semblance of good QB play the Ravens are a dangerous team...

Agreed. I am not denying Owens is a stud (and they certainly have a running game and an OL). That semblance of QB play remains to be seen.

hukarez
03-05-2004, 10:14 AM
He's a free agent. The Baltimore Sun speculates that the Ravens may be less interested in resigning him now that Owens is on the team.

But the other main receivers are Travis Taylor (very inconsistent) and Frank Sanders (didn't contribute much last year, may be past his prime). So I wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens try to resign Robinson especially if the price isn't too high. He had consistency problems too, but showed the most spark of any of the Ravens WRs (though that isn't saying much).
Huh. I had thought when he signed up with the Ravens last season, it was to a multi-year deal. Ah well. In any case, didn't the Ravens used to have one of the Ismail brothers?

Rhone Ranger
03-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Huh. I had thought when he signed up with the Ravens last season, it was to a multi-year deal. Ah well. In any case, didn't the Ravens used to have one of the Ismail brothers?

You might be thinking of Frank Sanders who signed (IIRC) a 3-year deal at roughly the same time Marcus Robinson signed his 1-year deal.

And yep, a few years ago the Ravens had Qadry Ismail at WR.