PDA

View Full Version : Texans Upgrade Again

Hammer755
03-04-2004, 03:30 PM
In the first 2 days of free agency, the Texans have re-worked Gary Walker's deal, signed Todd Wade, and just announced the signing of DT Robaire Smith (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texans-smith&prov=ap&type=lgns). In addition to that, word is that Seth Payne will be healthy for camp. Houston could be one of the most improved teams in the league and a viable playoff candidate this year.

Anyone else agree?

SunDancer
03-04-2004, 03:34 PM
I think Houston is building the team quietly. Is their philosophy similar to the Eagles or Pats building philosophy?

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Completely. They were a few 4th quarter collapses from winning 7 or 8 games this year. While I think it might be tough for them to actually make the playoffs, i'd expect no less than a .500 record this season.

Hammer755
03-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Completely. They were a few 4th quarter collapses from winning 7 or 8 games this year. While I think it might be tough for them to actually make the playoffs, i'd expect no less than a .500 record this season.

Yeah, and those near-wins came against quality teams like New England, Indy, and Tennessee. Throw in games against the Jets and Bengals that they couldn't hold onto, and Houston very well could have won 10 games last season with a win against both Super Bowl teams. Of course, they also got beaten badly by not-so quality teams like Jacksonville and Tampa, so it went both ways.

KevinNU7
03-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Every year a WTF team makes the Super Bowl. Next season it will be Houston

Franklinnoble
03-04-2004, 04:03 PM
I think Houston making a Super Bowl run is a bit of a stretch. I think they'll be somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7 - it really depends on how Carr does.

AgPete
03-04-2004, 04:27 PM
In the first 2 days of free agency, the Texans have re-worked Gary Walker's deal, signed Todd Wade, and just announced the signing of DT Robaire Smith (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texans-smith&prov=ap&type=lgns). In addition to that, word is that Seth Payne will be healthy for camp. Houston could be one of the most improved teams in the league and a viable playoff candidate this year.

Anyone else agree?

American by birth. Texan by the grace of god.

If the Cowboys don't make it I hope Houston does. :)

JeeberD
03-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Bleh. I still hate the Texans for what they did to us two years ago... :mad:

INDalltheway
03-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Bleh. I still hate the Texans for what they did to us two years ago... :mad:
Two words... Dave Campo. 'nuff said.

bigdawg2003
03-04-2004, 05:23 PM
that game was the greatest sporting experience ive ever seen

The Afoci
03-04-2004, 06:57 PM
The Arizona Cardinals build without using big names.

AgPete
03-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Two words... Dave Campo. 'nuff said.

No doubt. I can forgive a lot after the Campo years. No worries Jeeber, Houston always thought they were a rivalry but the Cowboys piss on the Oilers, Texans, and whatever franchise that hot and muggy city can keep. :p It was a pretty devastating loss though thinking back on it. :(

sterlingice
03-04-2004, 07:32 PM
American by birth. Texan by the grace of god.

If the Cowboys don't make it I hope Houston does. :)
Funny, as a Houstonian, I only have two words for Dallas:

GET BENT

SI

AgPete
03-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Funny, as a Houstonian, I only have two words for Dallas:

GET BENT

SI

Well that's what you get for growing up in Houston. My friend, I wish you could have been part of a glorious Dallas birth and automatically cheered for a winning NFL team. The interstate rivalry probably wouldn't have affected your blood as much. :p

Leonidas
03-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Robaire Smith is a good pickup, but Houston really screwed up the whole FA market when they gave Todd Wade, an average RT, $25M. I'd say the overpaid him at least 40%.

tucker342
03-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Well that's what you get for growing up in Houston. My friend, I wish you could have been part of a glorious Dallas birth and automatically cheered for a winning NFL team. The interstate rivalry probably wouldn't have affected your blood as much. :pOh ya those Cowboys of two years ago were part of one hell of a dynasty. Not only that, they showed those Texans who the kings of Texas are!:D

AgPete
03-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Oh ya those Cowboys of two years ago were part of one hell of a dynasty. Not only that, they showed those Texans who the kings of Texas are!:D

That particular game is omitted in the annuls of Cowboys history. :p

cthomer5000
03-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Robaire Smith is a good pickup, but Houston really screwed up the whole FA market when they gave Todd Wade, an average RT, $25M. I'd say the overpaid him at least 40%.
I also wasn't too excited about that signing. I've been following Houston extremely closely since they landed the team, and generally like most moves. But among all their good signings/non-signings, they generally throw in a few head-stratchers.

Travis
03-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Once the Texans find out if Domanick Davis can keep going at the pace he did last year, all they'll need is for one of their TE's to really step up to have a fairly good offense. Now if only Boselli would have been able to regain his lost form instead of fading out of football altogether.

cartman
03-05-2004, 03:50 AM
But they are having a definite downgrade in the cheerleader department. My friend and co-worker, Shawna, decided after three years that was enough. She won't be trying out for the 2004 squad. She didn't like the thought of being a 30 year old cheerleader... :)

cthomer5000
03-05-2004, 05:33 AM
Once the Texans find out if Domanick Davis can keep going at the pace he did last year, all they'll need is for one of their TE's to really step up to have a fairly good offense. Now if only Boselli would have been able to regain his lost form instead of fading out of football altogether.
Tony Hollings should be able to fully show him what he has this year. So even if Davis doesn't work out, there's potential that Hollings could be the guy (although he apparently looked terrible last season).