PDA

View Full Version : 2 things about the TO trade

k0ruptr
03-04-2004, 04:57 PM
ok, first of all , how the hell is this gonna make TO more happy. lol the ravens absolutely do not have a QB that can get owens the ball. Is this where owens career starts spiraling downwards I.E keyshawn? it seems possible to me.

and 2nd, HOW THE FUCK do you only get a 2nd rounder for one of the top 3 wide outs in the league?? this baffles me. the niners front office is either retarded, or the ravens front office are freakin geniuses, well not really since they dont have a qb.

AgustusM
03-04-2004, 05:01 PM
I am actually thrilled with a 2nd rounder - two weeks ago they were going to get absolutely nothing.

plus although he has value as a player, the niners had no leverage because every team knew they had to trade him - there was no way he could ever play for the niners again.

Kodos
03-04-2004, 05:03 PM
WOW! Yet more evidence in support of my jerk magnet theory. Great!

Consolidate all the jerks in just a few places! I love it!

k0ruptr
03-04-2004, 05:04 PM
I dunno, it seems to me someone would give up a little more. maybe thats why im not an nfl GM

Vince
03-04-2004, 05:06 PM
I thought the Eagles or Jets would add a little more than a low second-rounder...

...that being said, I'm really excited about getting anything better than a third rounder for him, considering we weren't supposed to get anything. Perhaps this can be fodder for a round 1 trade up for one of the stud WRs in the draft? Everything I've read, though says that we're going to be content with one of the top DTs at our current draft position.

sabotai
03-04-2004, 05:11 PM
TO has an attitude problem, TO has a cap problem. Two very big reasons why an NFL GM would probably not give more than a 2nd Rounder. He comes with a lot of baggage and there's no way an NFL GM is going to take a big risk for a player who might just turn around and demand another trade within a few years.

In fact, SF is probably lucky that they got a 2nd Rounder for him.

Fritz
03-04-2004, 05:27 PM
I am so happy this is in its own thread

--------
its half price day at hooliganworld!

Samdari
03-05-2004, 07:06 AM
Consolidate all the jerks in just a few places! I love it!

And the fact that they are accumulating in Baltimore is not a coincidence. If you were going to place a global jerk magnet, you would be hard pressed to find a more appropriate place.

The_herd
03-05-2004, 07:13 AM
ok, first of all , how the hell is this gonna make TO more happy. lol the ravens absolutely do not have a QB that can get owens the ball. Is this where owens career starts spiraling downwards I.E keyshawn? it seems possible to me.

and 2nd, HOW THE FUCK do you only get a 2nd rounder for one of the top 3 wide outs in the league?? this baffles me. the niners front office is either retarded, or the ravens front office are freakin geniuses, well not really since they dont have a qb.

The same answer can cover both questions. What it comes down to is TO wants a $15+ million signing bonus. That's what will make TO happy, and its why they only got a 2nd rounder for him. Any team trading for him knew they were going to have to ante up, or they would have a pouty prima-donna reciever on their hands. You can also add the fact that he turns 31 during the season and is coming off his worst year across the board since '99. A top 3 reciever is a stretch considering Moss, Holt, and Harrison are all better players than him also. A 2nd rounder sounds about right, I don't think any team with a pick in the top 20 would even consider giving up a 1st rounder for him.

Darkiller
03-05-2004, 07:16 AM
No, even as an UFA San Francisco would have had a 3rd round pick in compensation from the NFL because the player voided the remaining years of an existing contract.

So, instead of a 3rd rounder through Free-Agency, we get a 2nd rounder via trade.
A bit better but not "that" better.
I think T.O is definitely worth a 1st round draft pick.

and YES, I think 49er management is bad.

RendeR
03-05-2004, 09:24 AM
And the fact that they are accumulating in Baltimore is not a coincidence. If you were going to place a global jerk magnet, you would be hard pressed to find a more appropriate place.

I Heart Samdari......

Logan
03-05-2004, 09:58 AM
A top 3 reciever is a stretch considering Moss, Holt, and Harrison are all better players than him also. A 2nd rounder sounds about right, I don't think any team with a pick in the top 20 would even consider giving up a 1st rounder for him.

Disagree on that. Those 3, along with Owens, all can burn people deep. But Owens has the unique ability to take a 5 yard route across the middle, and take it 60 yards for the TD, thanks to his combination of speed, strength, and agility. He really is alone in that. Does that make up for his drawbacks though? Debatable.

It really is going to be an interesting year for us Niner fans. Even when we were rebuilding after those dreadful cap years, we didn't have an overhaul like what we are about to experience.

Sharpieman
03-05-2004, 01:20 PM
I've said it once, and I'll say it again Terry Donahue, John York and the rest of the 49ers management is a bunch of ^(&&*&%(*%%(. I see the point about the 2nd round pick, but when I first saw that the Niners only got a 2nd round pick, I was speechless, my jaw was dropped for about 20 minutes. I know its better than nothing, but if Terry was a better GM, I'm sure he could have dealt him for a better pick. York PLEASE sell the team!

Cap Ologist
03-05-2004, 01:35 PM
So, who got the better value for a second round pick? The Dolphins with Feeley or the Ravens with Owens?

Sharpieman
03-05-2004, 02:48 PM
The Ravens could have a great player, or a potential disaster. The Dolphins could either have a OK player, or a player who doesn't do good at all. I think the Ravens still got the better deal. But it ought to be really interesting to see what happens with Owens. The Niners couldn't handle his egocentricity, but who knows how good the Ravens can handle him.

ISiddiqui
03-05-2004, 03:21 PM
and 2nd, HOW THE FUCK do you only get a 2nd rounder for one of the top 3 wide outs in the league??

Simple. Owens has $6/year on his contract, BUT will definetly want restructuring or will probably demand a trade (he may anyway). Besides, everyone knows the Niners wanted to get rid of TO (so it's a buyer's market). A 2nd rounder isn't bad at all.