PDA

View Full Version : Nice Terrell Davis article

Kodos
03-04-2004, 07:19 PM
A nice article about my favorite running back ever.

Terrell Davis article (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~86~1992371,00.html)

Broncos scored big with T.D.

Davis went from sixth-round pick to two-time NFL champ

By Irv Moss
Denver Post Sports Writer

The salute went both ways for Terrell Davis.

From his hand, it became his personal trademark that signaled the Broncos were on a mission. After becoming an NFL star, Davis saluted when he scored a touchdown. It became known as the Mile High Salute.

"I wanted to do something that was classy and for a significant reason," said Davis, who is awaiting his induction into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame on Thursday. "I didn't want to do something that was too out of control. But I liked to think that we went about our business like soldiers."

If being classy with his celebration was important to Davis, the salute returned to him by Broncos faithful everywhere was to signal admiration for his part in writing the most important chapter in the franchise's history.

Over a four-season span, 1995- 98, Davis was the premier running back in the NFL. His regular- season performance in those years provided the details. In 1995, his rookie year, Davis rushed for 1,117 yards and scored eight touchdowns. The following year, it was 1,538 yards and 15 touchdowns scored. Then came 1997, with 1,750 yards and 15 total touchdowns, followed by the colossal 1998 season of 2,008 yards and 23 total touchdowns.

Broncos fans never will forget what happened to complete two of Davis' seasons to remember.

On Jan. 25, 1998, in San Diego, the Broncos beat Green Bay 31-24 to win Super Bowl XXXII. Davis carried 30 times for 157 yards and three touchdowns.The following year on Jan. 31 in Miami, the Broncos beat Atlanta 34-19 for their second consecutive Super Bowl title. Davis gained 102 yards on 25 carries, but didn't score a touchdown.

"I was just so glad to help those guys get one," Davis said of the championship rings. "The Broncos had been in contention but hadn't been able to get to the top. I came in at the right time."

The Super Bowl titles had Broncos fans giddy. But soon they weren't enough. The talk around town centered on the question of who was more important to the Broncos' success: quarterback John Elway or Davis.

"It's like what comes first: the chicken or the egg," Davis said. "I couldn't have done what I did without John and vice versa. Technically, I think you'd have to say that John was more important because he meant so much to the offense we ran. But who cares who was more important? It was good talk- radio stuff."

Elway acknowledged there wasn't a better running back than Davis during that four-year span before injuries became a factor.

"He definitely was the final piece that we needed to get to the top," Elway said. "He gave us the running game we didn't have."

Anyone who watched Davis play in the NFL might be amazed to learn that he once was jittery about playing football.

"When I went into high school, I was nervous about playing at that level," Davis said, remembering his high school days in San Diego. "I always had done really well in Pop Warner football, and I know it sounds crazy now, but I think I was afraid to succeed. When you do well at something, everyone expects you to get better."

Davis first went to college at Long Beach State, but the school gave up football. He then went to Georgia, but didn't get the playing time he felt he deserved. The Broncos made one of their best draft picks ever when they called his name in the sixth round of the 1995 draft.

Now 31 years old, Davis has accepted his place in retirement because of knee injuries that plagued his final seasons. He divides his time between Denver and San Diego business ventures.

AgPete
03-04-2004, 07:24 PM
It's a shame. I would vote Davis into the HOF if I were a voter. He was the most dominant back for his time. Without those injuries, he'd easily be in the top five all-time for rushing.

3ric
03-05-2004, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the link Kodos, that was good to read.