PDA

View Full Version : Online football gaming question

GoldenEagle
03-04-2004, 11:14 PM
If, hypothetically, there was a college football online game similar to Hattrick, would you rather see real or fictional teams?

When I say real teams, I mean real teams. The conferences, bowls, etc would be set up just like college football. Teams would probably have a prestige rating and teams would start with an unfair starting position.

If fictional teams were chosen, everything would be fictional and there could be no limit on the number of teams. Conferences would be hard to set-up but doable. Everyone would start equally.

Opinions?

fantastic flying froggies
03-05-2004, 02:50 AM
With the last PBEM avorted attempt (Tailgate College Football Association), we started out with mainly fictionnal teams. It was fun setting up conferences and things but also not that easy...

So I voted 'real'.

Nyarlahotep
03-05-2004, 10:00 AM
I vote fictional. A system for scheduling similar to HT's friendly system would be nice, especially if it allowed you to book a home and home series over two seasons. Let conferences be set up the first week with whoever doesn't get in one remaining independant, then in the second week have schedules generate for conference teams with them and independants filling all open weeks by challenging and being challenged by other teams. Any teams would have an opportunity to join or form conferences every offseason.

Airhog
03-05-2004, 10:10 AM
I would have to say real teams on one hand, fictional on the other. Maybe you should do something like all College schools that play football. Div1-3? Then teams could promote and relegate.

The only downside to a game like hattrick, is fielding a huge team could be quite a bit of work.

vex
03-05-2004, 10:19 AM
There alrady is a real one, it's just pay.

gstelmack
03-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Real teams, fictional rosters.

MacroGuru
03-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Vex,

What is it?

And if you say TCY, I will dance a jig and call you a smartass!

GoldenEagle
03-05-2004, 12:42 PM
There was a thread discussing my original product idea which can be found here (http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/showthread.php?t=13555&highlight=Gridiron+Academics).

I now have much more time to see this project through, but I was debating on which set-up to go with. Part of me wants to set-it up very similar to Hattrick and another part wants to do it like real college football. Right now, I am leaning toward fictional.

vex
03-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Vex,

What is it?

And if you say TCY, I will dance a jig and call you a smartass!

I'll have to find it sometime, I think VTShag or whatever his name is from here made it.

GrantDawg
03-05-2004, 12:52 PM
I would prefer real, but I bet it would be much easier (and cheaper) to go fictional.

Fritz
03-05-2004, 12:58 PM
i voted for other because I like the idea of taking one real player and cloning him several thousand times.

GoldenEagle
03-05-2004, 01:01 PM
I would prefer real, but I bet it would be much easier (and cheaper) to go fictional.
I do not know about easier to make. The thing is that I think the league would run out of gas if there was only 120 teams with nothing to play for except a national championship. My idea right now is to set it up very similar to the Junior College system in the US today. Teams would select a state to play in and that would be their conference. For example, there could be the Georgia SuperConference. Below the Georgia SuperConference, would be four different Division II conferences. Then I would branch out from there depending on interest. Teams would have a chance to promote/relegate. Only eight conference games would be played so teams could schedule games outside of their state. All the SuperConference winners would play for a national championship and the rest of the league would maybe go to Bowl Games against neighboring states.

These are all just initial ideas. I have no clue how hard it would be to program.

MacroGuru
03-05-2004, 02:40 PM
I'll have to find it sometime, I think VTShag or whatever his name is from here made it.
Thanks!

Btw, I was jut kidding!!! :eek: :D

sabotai
03-05-2004, 02:44 PM
I chose "Other" because I don't prefer one over the other.

Passacaglia
03-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Probably wouldn't matter to me. I would love it either way.

GoldenEagle
03-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Here is a brief update. I have secured a web server and will be posting details about the game over the next few days or so. I still have no idea how long coding will take. Here is the to do list for right now:

1. Design the basic web site layout

2. Begin writing the recruiting code

3. Write the game engine code

4. Design the AI for computer controlled teams (this may not be difficult - I don’t know if the AI is going to recruit yet or not)

5. Polish it off

I still have to figure out a way to get the database set up with the fastest results possible. That should not take too long - depending on if I can copy in paste into mySQL tables.

I have no clue when Beta testing will start and with Spring Break coming up, I will not have access to my computer for 4 or 5 days. That will slow down development.

wig
03-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Good luck man!

OldGiants
03-07-2004, 10:08 AM
I've been thinking about a game like this myself, but my skills aren't in programming, so all I have are ideas.

If you are planning to stay small, then real college names with fictinal players are the way to go. Your seasons will go past too fast to have real players in it, if you stop and think about it.

I would set up each state as you described with names like:

U. of Virginia
Virginia Tech
Virginia State
Virginia A&M
and large city names
and random last names + College or University

for each state. That way you get random real names plus fictional.

One thing I wanted to include in my idea was the concept of research and spying.

For example, each team at the lowest level would start out with a basic offense called 'rugby' This would essentially be 11 guys running around a tackling. Your first offensive research option would be "Flying Wedge". Then onto single wing, lateralling, forward pass and such. Other research options would equipment:

1) socks
2) magazines in socks (my HS era soccer shin pads were Readers Digests)
3) leather helmets

and so forth.

Spying would allow you to steal offensense form others, but you would be behind the curve all the time.

Your program could be 'good, neutral or slimy' and recruits would lean that way. Slimy would let you spy better, but chase off good kids.

Anyway, a few thoughts for enriching the on-line experience and deflecting all the criticism you'll get about a sucky game engine if you say your after 'real' results.