PDA

View Full Version : Damien Woody and Fernando Bryant sign with the Lions

Honolulu_Blue
03-05-2004, 09:18 AM
For the second consecutive year the Lions make a big splash in free agency as they bring in the top offensive line free agent into the fold. From all accounts Woody is going to be the highest paid interior lineman in NFL history, not that it means all that much. Someone willl break the record next year or the year after for certain. Lions definitely needed help at guard. Ray Brown retired and Eric Beverly was a good backup, not a starter. Their horrible guard play was a big part of their inability to run the bar.

The biggest drawbacks are 1) they Lions will be paying a lot of money for a guard. Usually guards don't demand that kind of salary. Not too thrilled with this. 2) The Lions will have a lot of money tied up in the O-line. Both Backus and McDougle (I think) will be free agents next year and could demand a hefty price. That being said, 4/5's of the o-line: Backus, McDougle, Woody, and Railoa are set and it looks pretty good. Can't remember the last time the Lions had a good offensive line.

As for Bryant. It's a decent deal. I don't think the Lions wanted to pay top-dollar (once again) for a CB. Bly is their #1 and all they really needed was a dependable #2 guy, which they will hopefully have in Bryant. If Babers, Cash, or Goodman can return from injury and play well (both BIG "ifs") the Lions' secondary will be adequate. They still need help at strong safety and will hopefully address this in the draft.

The Lions now claim they will target a veteran WR. Given the crop of rookie wide-outs, I don't think the Lions will break the bank to sign a vet, but either Jackson or Streets would be a big help. If either of them sign, look for Hakim to follow Schroeder (already cut) out the door.

gi
03-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Things are looking better for the Lions. At the very least, there will be less excuses for poor play. While we did 'over-spend' for a guard, if he makes the pro-bowl, all will be forgiven. Just like Bly. I think Hakin will stay for depth, but that will depend on how much another veteran WR costs them.

The point brought up by local talk radio 1270 was one that I am now concerned with: Where is the veteran backup QB when Harrington goes down? McMahn (SP?) doesn't impress me with his accuracy. 3rd string if fine for a pet development project, not your backup though.

Babers, Cash and/or Goodman should round out the Nickel position. Draft might out help too, in later rounds.

At least we have something to talk about with the Lions :)

BigJohn&TheLions
03-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Did not see this coming, but :D

TLK
03-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Not happy at all with what they paid to get Woody, but I guess it's better then not getting him at all. The offensive line looks pretty impressive now. It seems par for the course with all the good CB's out there, we end up with Fernando Bryant. If my calculations are correct this leaves them with under $4 million for the cap....

I'm the biggest Mike McMahon fan around Detroit, but at this point, if they can get a third rounder for him, as rumored, they'd be stupid not to pull it off. I also think that trading down in the draft wouldn't be the greatest thing either..... If they can't pull a decent receiver out of free agency, I'd hope they go WR in the first round.....

ice4277
03-05-2004, 01:07 PM
I just heard an interview with Tom Lewand on 1270 and the way he was talking made it sound as if getting a WR in free agency was not a 'must-do' type of thing. He said there was still room to make a move but only if the player was the absolute right fit.

Overall, I am happy with what they have done so far. Bringing in either Jackson or Streets would be a nice upgrade at WR, hopefully they can pull one of those off. As for Hakim, I don't see them cutting him unless they bring in 2 wide receivers.

GrantDawg
03-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Meanwhile, the Atlanta Falcons has resigned one player to return to one of the worse O-lines in football. New coach, same crap.

GoldenEagle
03-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Their horrible guard play was a big part of their inability to run the bar.
Has a NFL player ever had problems running to the bar? :D

gi
03-05-2004, 01:15 PM
3rd rounder for him? Do it in a second.

Trading down may have its advantages. This is a pretty deep draft. I'd be happy either way. If I remember correctly, the Lions wanted to trade down the last couple years, but had no takers. If they have one now, that could be attractive to them.

By saying WR is not a 'must do thing' it might make any WR coming here have realistic salary expectations. WR Anderson is back with us, we have Hakim, you would think we would get at least one through the draft. Between now and training camp, I'd think we will get our vet WR to help complement our WR corps.

Vet QB should be on there list, but that might not happen until June or July. Maybe a RB if the price is right. Some nice 2nd tier guys out there right now. Drafting one is an option too....

lots of possibilites....

kserra
03-05-2004, 02:00 PM
The Damien Woody signing is excellent. Even if the money is a bit much, he was by far the best available interior lineman...after watching our guards struggle to block on the move last year, I believe this signing will the best in recent history for our Lions...

The Bryant signing is ok...depends on how the money is actually spaced out...what does his actual salary look like in the later years of the contract...if it jumps to 6-8 million in the last year or two, where we can cut him or redo the deal, I think it's great...he just needs to stay healthy...

If the Lions can trade down, stockpile some picks, and hit on a few of them, I think we can hope for .500 this year...and in the NFL, 8-8 is just a fluke win away from the wild card...

Kevin

ice4277
03-05-2004, 02:04 PM
The Bryant signing is ok...depends on how the money is actually spaced out...what does his actual salary look like in the later years of the contract...if it jumps to 6-8 million in the last year or two, where we can cut him or redo the deal, I think it's great...
Well, from the way Lewand made it sound, this is what they did. But I'm not 100% sure if he was talking about the new guys or strategies in general.

kserra
03-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Lots of audio files can be found over at http://www.mlive.com/lions/pressconferences.ssf

Kevin

Kodos
03-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Heh heh heh! One fewer lineman for the Dolphins to replace their departed line with. :D

rkmsuf
03-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Heh heh heh! One fewer lineman for the Dolphins to replace their departed line with. :D

According to some logic around here they should have not even flinched in topping the Lions price...

kserra
03-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Here is Pro Football Weekly's take on the Lions signings...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2004/spins040504.htm

I'm assuming links such as this are ok to leave as is? If not, please let me know...don't want anyone catching the ire of their IT departments... :)

pjstp20
03-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Congrats on landing Woody Lion fans. I wish the Fins would have got him, I think he's a real good player and it looks like you're putting together a nice team.

ice4277
03-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Congrats on landing Woody Lion fans. I wish the Fins would have got him, I think he's a real good player and it looks like you're putting together a nice team.
Thanks! Assuming they don't bomb in the draft this year it should be a much more solid lineup on the field next year. If Rogers is fully healthy and another quality WR is put in place, things will definitely be looking better. Hopefully we'll be much closer to a playoff spot than the #1 pick next time around.

kserra
03-06-2004, 07:58 AM
The Lions are a Stephen Jackson/Kevin Jones away from having a good offense that would finally allow us to properly evaluate Joey Ballgame...

If the Lions do make additional moves such as bringing in Streets and getting a talented young RB...the pressure gets turned up on Harrington...

I've felt that with the talent around him the past two years, it just wasn't fair to judge him, but if he can't perform with these new players...well...I think the Lions draft a QB next year in round 3-4...

Kevin

SteelerFan448
03-06-2004, 11:02 AM
No way about Jackson/Jones. They are Sean Taylor away from having a pretty darn good secondary. They don't have the top corners in the league, but probably second tier and Taylor could be the best player in this year's draft. Considering the depth in the draft, Detroit could grab a decent running back in the second.

Schmidty
03-06-2004, 02:04 PM
No way about Jackson/Jones. They are Sean Taylor away from having a pretty darn good secondary. They don't have the top corners in the league, but probably second tier and Taylor could be the best player in this year's draft. Considering the depth in the draft, Detroit could grab a decent running back in the second.

Sean Taylor had a lackluster combine according to all reports, and not only that, the Lions don't need to be investing pick #6-type money into a strong saftey. I'd much rather have them take a saftey later in the draft (like Terrance Holt last year), and spend their 1st rounder (or rounders) on a position that can control the game, such as a RB, CB, or big-time WR. Hell, even a nice pass-rushing DE to replace Porcher would be better than a saftey (no matter how good).

kserra
03-06-2004, 02:25 PM
It would be nice if the Lions could be to trade down and get some additional picks...assuming they get good value of course...

I've read a few articles recently where the Pats aren't that crazy about moving up into the very early part of the draft because they feel somewhat confident that Jackson may be there at 21...

I'd rather see the Lions take a safety later on as well...I think the guy from Purdue is rated as a 2nd/3rd round pick...Taylor may very well be a dominant player, but that is a lot of cash to be throwing at the safety position...

Not sure if you guys have heard of any other teams possibly wanting to move up into that 6th spot...although things may change with individual workouts coming up...if a guy like Phillip Rivers keeps gaining momentum or a couple of the WR's stand out from the rest of that excellent crop, perhaps a team will have more incentive to move up...

Kevin

SteelerFan448
03-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Taylor has the potential to be the best safety in the league. Who cares about the combine, did you watch any of the Miami games last year? Taylor is a playmaker evident by his INTs. Taylor hits like a truck and he is big. Taylor shutdown Larry Fitzgerald as soon as he came into the game last year. The guy is by far better than the rest of the safeties coming out this year. Sometimes you have to look past the numbers and see what the guy does on the field.