PDA

View Full Version : OT - Poor Yogi Berra...

QuikSand
03-05-2004, 09:50 AM
In the last few months, I have had occasion to wince several times at what seems to be a growing trend. In describing something that seems all-too-familiar, I have heard multiple people use a pithy saying:

It's deja vu all over again...

No, no, no!

This little gem, widely attributed to Yogi Berra (though many of the pithy things we've attributed to him he never said... I have no idea about this one) was supposed to be funny because it represents a misundertanding about the subject. People, like it or not, we're laughing at Yogi, not with him.

Now, it seems that more and more people have decided that this is what we shoudl say when we really just mean "deja vu." Ugh.

Anyone else hearing this phrase used this way? Or have other examples of words or phrases being corrupted in a similar fashion?

MikeVic
03-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Maybe they really mean deja vu all over again. So it's the third time they've seen the same thing.. ;)

Seriousley, there are phrases I've heard that aren't used appropriately... but I can't think of any right now.

samifan24
03-05-2004, 09:53 AM
When I was younger I always thought that "lucking out" was bad for some reason. When a friend was involved in a minor accident a few days after he got his license, I told him that was terrible news and he really "lucked out." He just stared at me. I never got the meaning wrong again.

Buzzbee
03-05-2004, 10:21 AM
One that I think is used incorrectly quite frequently:

I could care less.

If you can care less, then you obviously have some level of care, which contradicts the sentiment you are trying to convey. I think the proper phrase should be I COULDN'T care less, which conveys that it is not possible for you to care any less than you currently do about whatever it is that you don't care about.

Of course, I'm sure most of you could care less. ;)

samifan24
03-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Yet another phrase which irritates me is "needless to say." If what follows this phrase is "needless to say," then why are you saying it in the first place?

rkmsuf
03-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Does this have anything to do with parking on a driveway?

Buzzbee
03-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Does this have anything to do with parking on a driveway?

Ummmm....no.

mckerney
03-05-2004, 10:41 AM

What Gopher fans say when they find out they're losing another top recruit to Nebraska.

JonInMiddleGA
03-05-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm rather fond of mentioning "vuja de" -- the feeling that nothing like this has ever happened before .

GrantDawg
03-05-2004, 11:22 AM
You know what I hate? Pet-peeve threads.

Scholes
03-05-2004, 12:57 PM

What Gopher fans say when they find out they're losing another top recruit to Nebraska.

Ha Ha Ha Ha.... Not sure how many outside the Cities will get that one though.

Silver Owl
03-05-2004, 01:07 PM
"Its the same difference". :confused:
What the hell does that mean?

Glengoyne
03-05-2004, 01:36 PM
"Its the same difference". :confused:
What the hell does that mean?I am left to surmise that someone is announcing the results of subtracting 8 from 10 immediately after subtracting 3 from 5. It is profound.

BigJohn&TheLions
03-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Maybe they really mean deja vu all over again. So it's the third time they've seen the same thing.. ;)

Seriousley, there are phrases I've heard that aren't used appropriately... but I can't think of any right now.
Spelling is a bitch too...

Flame Eater
03-05-2004, 07:22 PM
or...driving on a parkway?