PDA

View Full Version : T.O. Drama - Eagles cry foul?

Comey
03-05-2004, 12:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1751713

This could get rather interesting. I doubt anything will change, but it could make for an interesting string of events, at the very least.

What do you think? Just typical TO BS? The Eagles aren't ones to pull this, so I'm not sure what to really think right now, other than I'll definitely be looking for follow-up articles.

rkmsuf
03-05-2004, 12:43 PM
What did anyone do wrong? San Fran can trade him for whatever they want and don't have to tell anyone anything.

I can see TO and agent being pissed but how is there any recourse?

WSUCougar
03-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Geez.

Circle the next Eagles/49'ers match-up on the schedule.

corbes
03-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Wow, the Eagles. Kearse AND Owens? That's so unlike them...

Comey
03-05-2004, 12:50 PM
What did anyone do wrong? San Fran can trade him for whatever they want and don't have to tell anyone anything.

I can see TO and agent being pissed but how is there any recourse?
It seems as though the 49ers GM went out to screw Owens through this. I know he's just getting the best deal out there (a 2nd is better than a 5th and Thrash), but it appears he went behind Owens' back. He has that right, but I guess it's bad manners.

As an Eagles fan, I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing. I didn't really want to see Owens in a Philly uniform, so I can live with this. But it's STILL an interesting development.

Noble_Platypus
03-05-2004, 12:56 PM
How can anyone blame the 49ers for taking the 2nd round pick instead of a 5th and James Thrash? Thrash sucks, or Philly wouldnt be parting with him, since they seem to be in need of WRs more than any other team. Besides, after how T O ran his mouth this year would you really care about sending him where it suited him? Let alone doing it and taking an inferior deal at the same time.

ScottVib
03-05-2004, 01:08 PM
From what I've heard on the Dan Patrick show (who interviewed John Clayton about it). The Eagles were trying to make the deal through Terrell Owens and his agent. (Owens should have fired that guy already) Meanwhile the Ravens were working on the deal through the 49ers front office. When presented with the deal he negotiated vs. the one the Eagles offered Donahoe made the smart decision and took the 2nd rounder.

GrantDawg
03-05-2004, 01:10 PM
From what I've heard on the Dan Patrick show (who interviewed John Clayton about it). The Eagles were trying to make the deal through Terrell Owens and his agent. (Owens should have fired that guy already) Meanwhile the Ravens were working on the deal through the 49ers front office. When presented with the deal he negotiated vs. the one the Eagles offered Donahoe made the smart decision and took the 2nd rounder.
Fire him? I think he probably has grounds for a lawsuit at this point.

albionmoonlight
03-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Why would Baltimore trade for such a head case without making sure that he wanted to be there?

Comey
03-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Well, the 49ers did grant TO permission to seek a trade, which I'm guessing is why the Eagles were discussing matters with his agent.

Why would Donohue say that, then turn around and make the deal without saying a word to Owens or his agent? There is *definitely* some ridiculous backbiting going on here.

Sharpieman
03-05-2004, 01:22 PM
TO has screwed the Niners so many times that the Niners have the right to screw TO, who cares about him anyways?

Glengoyne
03-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Fire him? I think he probably has grounds for a lawsuit at this point.
Yeah I am thinking this guy's insurance company has already raised his premiums.

corbes
03-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Think TOs gonna just shut up and play hard-nosed football for the next three years to earn a big new contract? Or pout?

sabotai
03-05-2004, 02:05 PM
From the article:

"the Eagles agreed to a deal in principle to acquire the superstar receiver Thursday"

In principle is not in writing, idiots. They agreed to a deal, but a better one obviously come up. Tough shit.

sabotai
03-05-2004, 02:06 PM
dola,

I'm sure Ownes' future teammates are thrilled with the way he's acting right now. :D

rkmsuf
03-05-2004, 02:08 PM
"Alright. Elaine, David, I believe we have a deal here in principle: Arby’s - no more than once a month. In exchange, Elaine comes to your softball game, and

doesn’t read a book."

Abe Sargent
03-05-2004, 02:21 PM
In my multiplayer league, I had agreed on a trade for ILB Ronald McKinnon for a 4th and 7th round picks. I thought that our problems at ILB had been patched. Then the Cardinals owner gets on offer for a second round selection for McKinnon from the Chiefs. Am I pissed off? A bit, but at the Chiefs for overpaying for an old man in the last year of his contract, not because the Cardinals went with the better deal.

-Anxiety

Passacaglia
03-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Why would the Eagles whine about this? Do they expect to get something out of it, other than making it public that they're willing to trade Thrash?

rkmsuf
03-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Why would the Eagles whine about this? Do they expect to get something out of it, other than making it public that they're willing to trade Thrash?

I kind of justifies to the fans why they didn't get him...

Kodos
03-05-2004, 02:25 PM
I love it. I hope he is miserable in Baltimore!

cuervo72
03-05-2004, 02:34 PM
In principle is not in writing, idiots. They agreed to a deal, but a better one obviously come up. Tough shit.

Unless you're Larry Bertuzzi.

nilodor
03-05-2004, 04:24 PM
If this was in Canada I think owens and the Eagles would have a case that there was a contract in place for a deal with the Eagles. Here we have what is called contract A, contract B. Contract A basically states that when you call for tenders, or offers that counts as an offer. Submitting a bid is acceptance of that offer. The idea is to prevent bid shopping, which is a common practice everywhere in the world. If the 49ers agreed with the Eagles, even verbally they are engaged in contract B and the deal would have to go through. Even though this was intended for construction, it has been succesfully used in a divorce case.

However since this isn't Canada, Owens is screwed. I'm sure Ray Lewis will have a few things to say about Owens attitude and antics.

GrantDawg
03-05-2004, 04:28 PM
If this was in Canada I think owens and the Eagles would have a case that there was a contract in place for a deal with the Eagles. Here we have what is called contract A, contract B. Contract A basically states that when you call for tenders, or offers that counts as an offer. Submitting a bid is acceptance of that offer. The idea is to prevent bid shopping, which is a common practice everywhere in the world. If the 49ers agreed with the Eagles, even verbally they are engaged in contract B and the deal would have to go through. Even though this was intended for construction, it has been succesfully used in a divorce case.

However since this isn't Canada, Owens is screwed. I'm sure Ray Lewis will have a few things to say about Owens attitude and antics.
But I wonder if there isn't some "good faith" agreement in the player's agreement that might be similar. I'll be interested to see if anything happens here. If this were baseball, the player's union would be killing San Fran.

BigJohn&TheLions
03-05-2004, 04:34 PM
It seems as though the 49ers GM went out to screw Owens through this.
Wrong. Then he would have a Cardinal or Lion oh his helmet.

Comey
03-05-2004, 06:27 PM
...only if they wanted him. Baltimore's a bad enough place for TO (not saying it's bad, but their offense isn't exactly suited to his skills).

Sharpieman
03-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Wow I just watched the interview with TO on ESPN....Classic Owens, crying and whining. The sad the thing is I feel a little sorry for the Ravens because Owens is causing problems BEFORE he's put on a uniform. He thinks that the Niners management backstabbed him. Well he's damn right, and that punk deserves it, he disrespected the Niners plenty of times. Yelling at Greg Knapp on the sideline, being critical of the team and not himself and talking ish about Garcia on his website. If he thinks that the Niners would be "nice" to him and trade him to the promise land he's very wrong. Terry Donahue couldn't care less about Owens feelings are about the trade. Terry even may have traded Owens to the QB-less Ravens on purpose. And one more rant, Owens said he didn't have a problem with the Niner fans, but I think a lot of Niner fans had a problem with him.

The_herd
03-06-2004, 05:45 AM
And people were surprised the Niners only got a 2nd rounder for him....

JimboJ
03-06-2004, 08:36 AM
I saw that interview with TO too. It seems like the whole basis for his complaint is that neither he or his agent received the notice from the league that he needed to file paperwork by a certain date to void his contract and become a free agent. Excuse me? Isn't it his agent's job to know and understand the contract, and to know what paperwork needs to be filed when? Why is he sitting around waiting for the league to tell him how to do his job? First thing I would do is fire his ass.

Also, the Ravens had to know that TO was not going to be happy with being traded to them. Which leads me to believe they are planning on trading him to the highest bidder. The problem is I believe the Eagles may have lost interest in him by now. I know he's not exactly Andy Reid's kind of guy to begin with. And now with him opening up his big mouth and publicly expressing his displeasure with being a Raven, even if the Ravens did offer to trade him to the Eagles, I don't think the Eagles would take him now.

Bearcat729
03-06-2004, 09:20 AM

Actually they say the Browns were interested. So I'm sure that if they had wanted to screw him over then he would be in Cleveland.

cthomer5000
03-06-2004, 12:19 PM
I caught the interview (and a replay) and was absolutely stunned by what a moron this guy is. Assuming Philly did want him, I wouldn't doubt if this interview might have changed their minds.

I'm guessing nothing will change and he'll still be in Baltimore's control. Which is why it's amazing he said that he wasn't happy to be there, and wouldn't pretend like he was.

I think I gave this jackass more credit than he deserves. He shouldn't have been interviewed, and should not be making any public comment if he and his agent feel they have a legit legal issue.

GrantDawg
03-06-2004, 01:24 PM
After reading more on the incedent, he has no grounds for complaint. The 49ers never agreed to a Philly trade, verbally or otherwise. They actually rejected the trade offer and told Philly they had a second round pick on the table and if they could beat it, let them know. In other words, Philly wasn't willing to give up that much for TO (and this trade was not done behind their back), and all of his crying is mute.

sabotai
03-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Grant, it's not mute...I just heard TO crying the other day.

:D

bhlloy
03-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Am I the only person who thinks that TO might not be the best fit for the Eagles? Surely after the championship game last year they want a reliable receiver who won't give up on a route or drop easy passes, not a talented maverick like Owens?

kingfc22
03-06-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm a diehard Niner fan and was always one who backed TO. But you know what, what goes around comes around. He constantly bad mouthed the franchise and put them in a negative light and now he knows how it feels to have the tables turned. Hey TO, have fun with Wright and Boller. HAHA!!! Good bye and good riddance

Kodos
03-06-2004, 02:01 PM
This has really been a banner year for sticking it to jackass receivers. First, Keyshawn gets deactivated. Then, TO screws up and misses out on free agency. Then he arranges a trade to his dream team, only to learn he has been traded to Baltimore. :D These are great days!

StormcloudCreations
03-06-2004, 03:33 PM
This has really been a banner year for sticking it to jackass receivers. First, Keyshawn gets deactivated. Then, TO screws up and misses out on free agency. Then he arranges a trade to his dream team, only to learn he has been traded to Baltimore. :D These are great days!

And who knows: Maybe this will send a message to talented but selfish athletes in football that when you act like a jerk, then you'll correspondingly be treated like one. All Owens had to do was act like a regular, humble nice guy, and he could have made many more millions in signing bonuses to catch a football for a living. He has yet to learn; respect isn't given, its *earned*.

Makes you wonder what goes on in these people's heads, if anything. :)

jetpunk2000
03-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I saw that interview with TO too. It seems like the whole basis for his complaint is that neither he or his agent received the notice from the league that he needed to file paperwork by a certain date to void his contract and become a free agent. Excuse me? Isn't it his agent's job to know and understand the contract, and to know what paperwork needs to be filed when? Why is he sitting around waiting for the league to tell him how to do his job? First thing I would do is fire his ass.

Also, the Ravens had to know that TO was not going to be happy with being traded to them. Which leads me to believe they are planning on trading him to the highest bidder. The problem is I believe the Eagles may have lost interest in him by now. I know he's not exactly Andy Reid's kind of guy to begin with. And now with him opening up his big mouth and publicly expressing his displeasure with being a Raven, even if the Ravens did offer to trade him to the Eagles, I don't think the Eagles would take him now.

The problem I have with that is why would they give up a second rounder for the guy? They can't possibly win in that case unless someone is dumb enough to give up a first rounder or multiple picks for him. I can only see his value going down from here on out.

tucker342
03-06-2004, 05:59 PM
From the article:

"the Eagles agreed to a deal in principle to acquire the superstar receiver Thursday"

exactly

The_herd
03-06-2004, 06:00 PM
So does this mean when Philly loses in the playoffs this year they have something new to blame it on?

wig
03-06-2004, 06:09 PM
This is the best possible outcome of the whole situation.

I love it.

JimboJ
03-06-2004, 11:39 PM
This is the best possible outcome of the whole situation.

I love it.

Not if you're an Eagles fan, looking forward to another year of McNabb's talent wasted on Todd Pinkston and James Thrash. :(

Vinatieri for Prez
03-07-2004, 01:29 AM
And who knows: Maybe this will send a message to talented but selfish athletes in football that when you act like a jerk, then you'll correspondingly be treated like one. All Owens had to do was act like a regular, humble nice guy, and he could have made many more millions in signing bonuses to catch a football for a living. He has yet to learn; respect isn't given, its *earned*.

Makes you wonder what goes on in these people's heads, if anything. :)

You got it. If he was a class individual, he would have been treated like one. Niners probably would have traded him to wherever he wanted to go within reason. However, if you treat your team and those around you like trash, you will be treated accordingly. Have fun T.O. Not only did you go to the Ravens, but you are making less money. I hope you sit out, like you are threatening to do, so we can all forget about you. This is what is known as "just desserts."

stevew
03-07-2004, 02:13 AM
I thought the Union was working out some sort of compromise situation where Owens would be an UFA and the Niners would receive the 33rd pick in the draft. I guess this didnt work out?

GrantDawg
03-07-2004, 03:34 AM
I thought the Union was working out some sort of compromise situation where Owens would be an UFA and the Niners would receive the 33rd pick in the draft. I guess this didnt work out?
If this were the baseball player's union, the 49ers would have to give him 10 million dollars and the owner would have to personally drive him cross-country to Philly. In football, he's lucky the union didn't laugh at him when he called.

Rhone Ranger
03-07-2004, 05:29 AM
Not if you're an Eagles fan, looking forward to another year of McNabb's talent wasted on Todd Pinkston and James Thrash. :(

Not if you're a Ravens fan either. :(

As I sit here imagining my team's chemistry torn asunder by Terrell "Please Make A Generous Donation to the Narcissistic Personality Disorder Foundation" Owens, I figure it can't get any worse than this and... now I read in the newspaper that the Ravens are showing some interest in Warren Sapp.

DOH!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

*sigh* Maybe they'll accidentally injure each other when obnoxiously dancing on some other team's field logo. One can only hope.

This can't be real. It's just a nightmare. Only a bad dream. It's not real. I will wake up from this. It's only a nightmare... only a nightmare...