PDA

View Full Version : Six High School Players Declare for NFL Draft

MacroGuru
03-05-2004, 05:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-draftunderclassmen&prov=ap&type=lgns

Guess it's time I get my son ramped up! :D

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Six high school players apply for NFL draft</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER height="1" width="1" type="block"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
March 5, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Six high school players and one from junior college have applied for the NFL draft as a result of the court ruling that allowed Maurice Clarett to enter the April 24-25 player selection.

The NFL released the final list of nine players who requested early eligibility after the ruling on Clarett, the running back who played as a freshman at Ohio State but was suspended for last season. March 1 was the deadline for applying, with the players given 72 hours to pull out.

In addition to Clarett and wide receiver Mike Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5890/) of Southern California, there were seven others on the final list, including one from a junior college. Williams, who played two seasons in college, is expected to be a first-round pick while Clarett is thought to be a potential second- or third-rounder. But most scouts and league officials think the jump is far too great for most underclassmen and high school players. The seven who applied are Ronnie McCrae, a defensive back from Pasadena City College in California; Joe Banks, a running back from New Directions Academy High School in Baltimore; quarterback John Belisle of Capac Community High School in Capac, Michigan; defensive tackle Earl Fields of Appling County High School in Baxley, Ga.; wide receiver Joe Lee of Gates High School in Tacoma, Wash.; running back Ethan Mitchell of Flowers High School, in Springdale, Md.; and Ken Petitt of Redford High School in Detroit.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

GoSeahawks
03-05-2004, 05:38 PM
I wonder where or if they will be drafted?

JeeberD
03-05-2004, 05:40 PM
I wonder if they don't get drafted if they'll still be able to go to college or if this is like the NBA and they'll be screwed...

BishopMVP
03-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Anyone know if those guys were any good in HS or are they just doing it as a joke?

General Mike
03-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Anyone know if those guys were any good in HS or are they just doing it as a joke?

I checked the ESPN recruiting database, and none of them are in it, which means none of them are going to a D1 school. I have to assume its a joke then. :rolleyes:

digamma
03-05-2004, 05:47 PM
http://www.applingpirates.com/football/rosterindex.htm

This is the Appling County roster where "Earl Fields" supposedly played defensive tackle. Notice anyone missing from the roster?

MacroGuru
03-05-2004, 05:47 PM
The agents got a hold of them more than likely. They just ruined their college career. The minute you sign with an agent, you are hosed.

Anyways, any high schooler who thinks he can hang with Men has another thing coming. I think Clarett is one wake up shot from someone like Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis, John Lynch...etc from realizing, he will have a lot of work to do.

MrBug708
03-05-2004, 05:51 PM
I checked the ESPN recruiting database, and none of them are in it, which means none of them are going to a D1 school. I have to assume its a joke then. :rolleyes:

Dont check ESPN. They just rip off Insiders or Rivals

AgPete
03-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Reading the positions makes me realize another reason why it's not beneficial to skip college ball. Besides the obvious argument about maturity and physical skills at that age, how many players had to learn an entirely new position in college? One of those H.S. players listed is a quarterback. How many NFL defensive backs, running backs and receivers spent time at quarterback in high school? A lot of them. One of my favorite things to learn about NFL players is there high school position because it was usually complete different than the position they're known for in the NFL.

hukarez
03-05-2004, 06:00 PM
So to sum it all up...the NFL is becoming a lot like the NBA then?

BigJohn&TheLions
03-05-2004, 06:05 PM
The NFLPA should look into establishing guidelines for NFL players eligability. It might be the loophole that is needed to protect the game, the NFL, and veteran players. Think about it. To be a teacher you need a degree. To be a doctor you need a degree. I think that an associates degree to play NFL ball is not too much to ask.

tucker342
03-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Probably for most of them it was a joke. I hope they're ready to get their asses kicked in the NFL:D

GrantDawg
03-05-2004, 06:30 PM
None of them will be drafted, and if they were not on recruiting list, they probably weren't going to play Div 1 either. I wonder if they are qualification casualties. If so, then that is the good thing about this. Maybe these guys can now go to Europe and develop since they can't get into college.

Mr. Wednesday
03-05-2004, 07:00 PM
If it's like other sports, simply declaring for the draft prior to entering school does not sacrifice eligibility (it doesn't in hockey, anyway). Oddly enough, as soon as a student-athlete is enrolled, declaring for the draft DOES sacrifice eligibility, because they haven't reformed the in-school rules yet.

SunDancer
03-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Can any of the leagues insist requirements that can be legal and upheld? Can the NFL and NBA institute an age limit? Can the NFL argue that three years of experience is required to play in the NFL based on a "talent" standpoint?

BishopMVP
03-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Can any of the leagues insist requirements that can be legal and upheld? Can the NFL and NBA institute an age limit?
Yes. Whether they could get it raised as high as 20 or 21 is debatable, but there is one of 14 in the US and I think it is 18 for certain industries. You have to prove that the safety of the workers would be in jeopardy. Whether the NFL could do that is debatable (I think they could given the vast number of long-term injuries NFL players suffer.)

mckerney
03-05-2004, 09:57 PM
If it's like other sports, simply declaring for the draft prior to entering school does not sacrifice eligibility (it doesn't in hockey, anyway).

If I remember correctly, players don't delcare for the draft in hockey. I know they don't in baseball (thus you see Michael Vick getting drafted by an MLB club). In basketball players can declare and return if they don't sign with an agent, though if they don't sign with an agent they have to put forth the money to attend workouts on their own.

Fritz
03-05-2004, 10:06 PM
If I were not able to get to a college program for one reason or another, I would probably declare for the draft. What could it hurt?

Easy Mac
03-05-2004, 10:26 PM
You have to prove that the safety of the workers would be in jeopardy. Whether the NFL could do that is debatable (I think they could given the vast number of long-term injuries NFL players suffer.)
Are you talking NFL or FOF?http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

SunDancer
03-05-2004, 11:37 PM
If I were not able to get to a college program for one reason or another, I would probably declare for the draft. What could it hurt?

That's why the have JUCO football. Anyone can get an offer. If your too lazy to do some work in high school, then do you really deserve the big-pay contract? Not only is the NFL alot more physical, it's a much bigger mental game as well.

Racer
03-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Quarterback John Belisle doesn't appear to have made his varsity high school team either.

hxxp://www.capac.k12.mi.us/hswebsite/Athletics/Football/VarsityFootball.htm

vex
03-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Quarterback John Belisle doesn't appear to have made his varsity high school team either.

But he did get his name in the paper:)

Young Drachma
03-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Here's a story of a 19-year old who played in the NFL back in 'da day.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7078177

Nyarlahotep
03-06-2004, 12:51 AM

Looks like none of them did. I'm not sure if McCrae played or not though, his school doesn't have thir roster up.

hxxp://www.pasadena.edu/athletics/football/players.cfm

Joe Banks probably didn't play much organized football at a school that only has four teachers.

hxxp://www.mansef.org/baltimore_county/new_directions.html

You already showed John Belisle's school.

Earl Fields' school was posted by digamma.

Joe Lee's school doesn't have much of a site and I couldn't find anything else.

hxxp://www.fp.k12.wa.us/FPSD/2/Gates/index.html

Ethan Mitchell isn't mentioned at the RB position in a writeup of the Flowers' team.

hxxp://www.sportscombine.com/scripts/p_tm_news.asp

Ken Petitt I have no idea on because the link from the Detroit Public Scools site isn't loading and I couldn't find anything else except win-loss records.

hxxp://schools.detroitk12.org/Redford/

sabotai
03-06-2004, 12:53 AM
This is actually pretty funny. :D

Taur
03-06-2004, 01:07 AM
What about an application fee to apply for entrance into the draft. Say $100,000.00 per player and the entrance fee can be waived if sponsored by "approved" members/schools.

The NFLPA requirements will not work as you do not have to be a Union member to play in the NFL.(Lavar Arington)

The Degree requirment would not float as about 75% of your players would find themselves inelgible for work. It is a legal solution.

I am pretty sure there is no legal problems with requiring employees to submit an entrance/addmission fee. All the NFL would have to do is make the "Combine" the only requirement for entering the draft. Then charge a nonrefundable $100,000 fee to take the combine entrance exam. Of course if the canidate is sponsored by an approved member/school then the fee could be waived.

Nyarlahotep
03-06-2004, 02:03 AM
That sounds like a quick way to get sued for discriminating against people who can't afford to pay $100k to work out.

You would also see agents paying the money for top prospects.

stevew
03-06-2004, 02:08 AM
Why isnt Arrington in the Union?

Pyser
03-06-2004, 02:32 AM
how did eric swann get drafted? he never played in college, though i dont remember the details...

stevew
03-06-2004, 02:37 AM
He played semi pro for a few years and maybe Community college

stevew
03-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Swann must have been a workout freak

cthomer5000
03-06-2004, 01:39 PM
why is anyone angered by this? I think it's funny as hell. As I said in another thread (which was posted after this one), If this had happened my senior year - I would have applied in a heartbeat. You get your name in the paper, have some fun, get dressed in a suit, go the draft - and express mock outrage when you aren't selected.

Desnudo
03-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Eventually some Lebron James dude is going to come out of high school and a team will eat their words and draft him. It's classic game theory and eventually someone will blink and then it'll be all in. It's inevitible Mr. Anderson.

mckerney
03-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Why isnt Arrington in the Union?

I believe it has something to do with him not joining due to thinking he should get a bigger cut of the NFLPA licensing deal.

Young Drachma
03-06-2004, 02:25 PM
He's part of the union. He's just not part of the licensing agreement. Just like Jordan wasn't in the NBA and Barry Bonds isn't in MLB, because they negotiate their own licensing rights, rather than get the blanket fee from the players association.

SunDancer
03-06-2004, 02:52 PM
What about an application fee to apply for entrance into the draft. Say $100,000.00 per player and the entrance fee can be waived if sponsored by "approved" members/schools.

The NFLPA requirements will not work as you do not have to be a Union member to play in the NFL.(Lavar Arington)

The Degree requirment would not float as about 75% of your players would find themselves inelgible for work. It is a legal solution.

I am pretty sure there is no legal problems with requiring employees to submit an entrance/addmission fee. All the NFL would have to do is make the "Combine" the only requirement for entering the draft. Then charge a nonrefundable $100,000 fee to take the combine entrance exam. Of course if the canidate is sponsored by an approved member/school then the fee could be waived.

Good theory, but still wouldn't work. Not sure if you could. Now, if the NFLPA and NFL has a iron-clad agreement, isn't that legal?

Mr. Wednesday
03-06-2004, 05:37 PM
If I remember correctly, players don't delcare for the draft in hockey.They don't have to declare for the draft once they reach a certain age, but there's a year or two when they're younger than that where they can opt into the draft, or alternatively wait and be eligible automatically in another year (or two).

Players who enter college as a young 17 will still have to opt into the draft after their first year in college to be included in the draft, and if they do so, they lose their eligibility. An example of this would be Ricky DiPietro, who opted in because he was expecting to go high in a draft that was considered relatively weak for goaltenders (while IIRC the following draft, which he would have entered automatically and not sacrificed eligibility, was considered a stronger one so he would not have gone as high).

Players who enter as an older 17, or at 18, will be automatically eligible after their first college year, but also may opt into the draft in their year before college (which may be a senior year in high school or it might be a postgrad year). Now that the pre-enrollment amateurism rules have been reformed, opting into the draft prior to enrollment in school does not (in and of itself) cost a player their eligibility. (The idea is that merely being drafted does not provide a player a "competitive advantage".)

Blade6119
03-06-2004, 05:48 PM
If i was the NFL i would set-up a rule(doesnt even have to be written) where all the teams agree to not dradt guys out of highschool or until thwy finish three years of college. This way they keep the same rules just without the legal issues...

Honolulu Blue
03-06-2004, 05:55 PM
If i was the NFL i would set-up a rule(doesnt even have to be written) where all the teams agree to not dradt guys out of highschool or until thwy finish three years of college. This way they keep the same rules just without the legal issues...

That's a dictionary-quality definition of collusion, and you can't do that. The rule will get struck down as soon as it's proven.

mckerney
03-06-2004, 05:55 PM

I don't exactly think that collusion would clear up the legal issues.

SunDancer
03-06-2004, 06:00 PM
I like to see is for the NFL to require all players to fully partake in the NFL Combine.

TLK
03-06-2004, 06:07 PM
why is anyone angered by this? I think it's funny as hell. As I said in another thread (which was posted after this one), If this had happened my senior year - I would have applied in a heartbeat. You get your name in the paper, have some fun, get dressed in a suit, go the draft - and express mock outrage when you aren't selected.

Shit, I'd even go as far to put a highlight tape together. Gather all your buddies up and record a street football game, making yourself look real good. Also important is the post-game interview where you must refer to yourself in the third person.

The_herd
03-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Shit, I'd even go as far to put a highlight tape together. Gather all your buddies up and record a street football game, making yourself look real good. Also important is the post-game interview where you must refer to yourself in the third person.

No, it would be fabulous if someone put themself in Madden, recorded highlites of their player making great plays, and sent it to all the teams prior to the draft.

Blade6119
03-06-2004, 08:19 PM
ESPN.com news services
NEW YORK -- Six high school players and one junior college defensive back joined Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett and USC wide receiver Mike Williams Friday on the NFL's list of nine applicants cleared for early eligibility in the draft.

After Clarett and Williams, the best player would figure to be Ronnie McCrae of Pasadena (Calif.) City College. However, McCrae, a defensive back, had no interceptions for a team that went 0-10, according to The Washington Post.

If not McCrae, perhaps the best is offensive tackle Ken Petitt of Redford High School in Michigan. He was an honorable mention selection on the Detroit News 2002 all-Detroit football team.

None of the high school players is among the top 25 college prospects by position, according to Tom Lemming, editor of Prep Football Report and ESPN.com's recruiting guru, who said Friday he had heard of none of them. And, no wonder. They appear to be more suspect than prospect.

Running back Ethan Mitchell of Springdale, Md., and Flowers High School, never played for the varsity, while running back Joe Banks is from New Directions Academy High School, a Baltimore school for developmentally disabled children, according to the Post.

Quarterback John Belisle of Capac (Mich.) Community High School and defensive tackle Earl Fields of Appling County High School in Baxley, Ga., were not on their school's 2003 rosters, while wide receiver Joe Lee of Tacoma, Wash., lists Gates High School, an alternative school that doesn't even have a football team, the Post reports.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the list was based on those who submitted written applications by the March 1 deadline. Applicants were given 72 hours to withdraw. Most scouts and league officials believe the jump is far too great for most underclassmen and even the most talented high school players.

Williams, who played two seasons in college, is expected to be a first-round pick while Clarett is thought to be a potential second- or third-rounder.

Clarett went to court to challenge the NFL's rule preventing players less than three years out of high school from entering the draft, and a federal judge ruled in his favor.

"I don't think we do any extensive checking [of the applicants] because there's no point to it based on the ruling," Aiello said. "We can't limit who's eligible under this ruling."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

kcchief19
03-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Little-know fact: I declared for the NBA draft.

It was for a creative journalism class and for my final project I declared for the NBA draft and documented my application. The point was to illustrate how ridiculous sports marketing and the hyping of athletes was. I hired an "agent" -- neighbor from across the hall -- and found some people who would say that I was an awesome baller. All my materials came from Players International Group Marketing -- or PIG Marketing.

I know the NBA received my application, but I never appeared on any draft lists so they clearly sniffed me out tossed me in the circular file.

These high school guys crack me up. Good stuff!

Taur
03-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Most scouts and league officials believe the jump is far too great for most underclassmen and even the most talented high school players.

I do not belive this for a second. While I do not expect to see a High Schooler make an immediate impact in the NFL using your 6th or 7th round pick on a long shot is pretty much the NFL norm. I have seen the world's fastest man drafted, Carl Lewis, the world's "Baddest" man drafted, John Wayne, and throw in a couple of Baseball players under long term multimillion dollar contracts Bo Jackson and now Drew Henson who were all considered major long shots to ever step foot on a football field.

Using a late round pick to select a potential all star is pretty much the norm in the other 3 sports. Hiding him on your roster for the next couple of years can't be that hard. And, yes dear their are can't miss high school football players out there. How many of you would of liked you team to give up a 7th round pick 4yrs ago to select the number 1 highschool football player....Chris Simms?

GrantDawg
03-07-2004, 03:38 AM
I And, yes dear their are can't miss high school football players out there. How many of you would of liked you team to give up a 7th round pick 4yrs ago to select the number 1 highschool football player....Chris Simms?
Crissy? Nope. But there a plenty who would thrown one out there for Mike Vick coming out of highschool (though he would have most likely had to agree to play running back).

SunDancer
03-07-2004, 07:51 PM
I do not belive this for a second. While I do not expect to see a High Schooler make an immediate impact in the NFL using your 6th or 7th round pick on a long shot is pretty much the NFL norm. I have seen the world's fastest man drafted, Carl Lewis, the world's "Baddest" man drafted, John Wayne, and throw in a couple of Baseball players under long term multimillion dollar contracts Bo Jackson and now Drew Henson who were all considered major long shots to ever step foot on a football field.

Using a late round pick to select a potential all star is pretty much the norm in the other 3 sports. Hiding him on your roster for the next couple of years can't be that hard. And, yes dear their are can't miss high school football players out there. How many of you would of liked you team to give up a 7th round pick 4yrs ago to select the number 1 highschool football player....Chris Simms?

I don't think football teams want to wait. They don't have the time to sit and wait for a player they have to get ready. Football is very depth-oriented, and the salary cap limits the money they can invest. Baseball and Hockey have minors, and they have their rights, so they do not have to sign them right away.

Young Drachma
03-07-2004, 08:12 PM
That's why the NFL needs a real minor league, not this NFL Europe crap. What's their aversion to a real US summer football league? It's not like fans would be upset about it.

mckerney
03-07-2004, 09:08 PM
That's why the NFL needs a real minor league, not this NFL Europe crap. What's their aversion to a real US summer football league? It's not like fans would be upset about it.

Marketing. With NFL Europe they can try to extend their fan base beyond the US, though with a US league it's doubtful they gain much in the way of fans.

Young Drachma
03-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Marketing. With NFL Europe they can try to extend their fan base beyond the US, though with a US league it's doubtful they gain much in the way of fans.

I'll grant that. And the reason the NFL is so big in Germany is mostly because of the military bases there. You think its an accident they have three teams there now, in the six team league?

If they did a league in the NBDL model, that was low-cost, a short season and such, I would believe it would not only help put fans in the seats that don't travel to games now, but expand the market share in cities that love the NFL but don't - and probably will never - have teams.

I would think the money grubbing owners would love an opportunity to put inferior talent on the field, at minimal cost, maximizing profits for themselves and whoever else decides to get in on the act.

But who needs a minor league when the NCAA runs one for you, I guess. Though college basketball is hardly chop liver, hence the lack of appeal of the NBDL. But eh...I was thinking more of a bridge between the seasons, though I guess NFL Europe does that at low cost - since its Europe. And it gives players experience in stadiums, with fans and "cultural" experience.

Wonder if the NBA will try to infiltrate Europe at some point with a league.

SunDancer
03-08-2004, 03:40 PM
I'll grant that. And the reason the NFL is so big in Germany is mostly because of the military bases there. You think its an accident they have three teams there now, in the six team league?

If they did a league in the NBDL model, that was low-cost, a short season and such, I would believe it would not only help put fans in the seats that don't travel to games now, but expand the market share in cities that love the NFL but don't - and probably will never - have teams.

I would think the money grubbing owners would love an opportunity to put inferior talent on the field, at minimal cost, maximizing profits for themselves and whoever else decides to get in on the act.

But who needs a minor league when the NCAA runs one for you, I guess. Though college basketball is hardly chop liver, hence the lack of appeal of the NBDL. But eh...I was thinking more of a bridge between the seasons, though I guess NFL Europe does that at low cost - since its Europe. And it gives players experience in stadiums, with fans and "cultural" experience.

Wonder if the NBA will try to infiltrate Europe at some point with a league.

I don't see the NBA going to Eruope with anything expect NBA franchises. Europe has plenty of pro leagues, and I heard that many of them pay as much as NBA teams. They in ways are minor leagues, as teams in other places around the world.

SunDancer
03-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Now I have a question. Can the leagues pay differenet "salaries" for players who may be college seniors compared to a high school graduate/college freshman? Could they argue that the "development" of a freshmen is much longer then a senior, who is much more likely ready to contribute?

Young Drachma
03-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Well, the NBA created the rookie salary cap a few years back. So, I'm sure they could do something like that. But I dunno if they could do it under the classification of players. I doubt a union would go for that, though...the union would probably prefer the HS kids go to college.