PDA

View Full Version : OT: Went to see Hildago tonight.

cincyreds
03-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Just got back and I would have to say that I really enjoyed the movie.

I would give a good thumbs up to go see. It is a DVD buy later on for sure.

Anybody else get chance to go and see this one yet?

4 out of 5 stars for me.

Young Drachma
03-07-2004, 02:43 AM
It's not based on a true story...but that's cool that it was entertaining.

(Not that you said that, just tired of hearing it on the ads.)

QuikSand
03-07-2004, 03:20 AM
"based on a true story" leaves an awful lot of latitude...

GrantDawg
03-07-2004, 03:31 AM
"based on a true story" leaves an awful lot of latitude...
Yeah, there was once a guy who rode a horse in the desert. The rest is complete fiction. :D

Taur
03-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Ok, could someone please help me out.

I am going to see 1 and only 1 movie this week.....Starsky & Hutch or Hildago?

wig
03-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Don'e see Starsky and Hutch.

:(

stevew
03-07-2004, 08:57 AM
I think you should see The Passion of the Christ instead. The star is that one guy that was in that one movie with JLo

JeeberD
03-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Richard Hidalgo has a cannon for an arm...

Suicane75
03-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Starsky & Hutch was super, 100 times better than I expected.

ISiddiqui
03-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Funny, a friend of mine who saw 'Hidalgo' said it was awful. But she is a horse person and saw all the mistakes (such as the wrong type of horses for a desert race, etc.).

JonInMiddleGA
03-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Starsky & Hutch was super, 100 times better than I expected.
And if I have the same reaction, let's see: 100 x 0 = ....

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Suicane75
03-07-2004, 10:17 PM
And if I have the same reaction, let's see: 100 x 0 = ....

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

lol. I saw the commerical and was turned off, but the movie really is a good comedy and it does keep fairly close to the spirit of the TV show. The commercials make it look alot more like a braindead comedy than it is.

Buccaneer
03-07-2004, 10:19 PM
For several years now, I have thought that the most unwatchable and embarrassing actor to watch was Adam Sandler (with David Spade and Chris Farley as runner ups). But now there is someone even worse as the most unwatchable actor and that is Ben Stiller. Imo.

Nyarlahotep
03-07-2004, 10:24 PM
I would rather watch a marathon of movies with the guys you list than sit through a preview for a movie with Chris Kattan or Tom Green.

Buccaneer
03-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Nyar, I said 'actors'.

Nyarlahotep
03-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Okay, I'll remove Tom Green from my statement. Hopefully Chris Kattan never makes another movie but, if you can have a guy that has been dead for over six years, I can keep him on my list.

Taur
03-08-2004, 02:03 PM
The reason I asked about Starsky & Hutch was the local Denver critic gave it a great review. He said the Adds make it look terrible untill you see it and realize that it is a satire of the original show and not trying to be like the original show which was in fact a Drama, not a comedy.

I wonder how many people that were giving it bad reviews actually saw the show? Seems a great many of people out there give reviews of movies and books before they ever see the show or read the book. Think The Passion a couple of weeks ago....Every body had a comment on that movie and they all started with "I haven't seen it, BUT"

JeeberD
03-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Ebert and Roper gave S&H two thumbs up...

rkmsuf
03-08-2004, 02:11 PM
that settles it then...;)

I'm just sick of Stiller for some reason and have never been a Wilson fan so it's an easy cross off...

gstelmack
03-08-2004, 02:15 PM
He said the Adds make it look terrible untill you see it and realize that it is a satire of the original show and not trying to be like the original show which was in fact a Drama, not a comedy.
What is the deal with satirizing all these old TV shows? Why not just do a modern remake and leave it at that? I wouldn't mind seeing a good buddy movie crime drama, but for comedy I'd rather see "Rush Hour" than Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson (Owen works much better with Jackie Chan :D )

Ksyrup
03-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Stiller keeps playing the same character and it's getting annoying and repetitive.

Maybe Fox will bring back Family Guy AND Ben Stiller's sketch show. He was funny back then, before he starred in that Farverevervre movie.

Suicane75
03-08-2004, 02:17 PM
The reason I asked about Starsky & Hutch was the local Denver critic gave it a great review. He said the Adds make it look terrible untill you see it and realize that it is a satire of the original show and not trying to be like the original show which was in fact a Drama, not a comedy.

I wonder how many people that were giving it bad reviews actually saw the show? Seems a great many of people out there give reviews of movies and books before they ever see the show or read the book. Think The Passion a couple of weeks ago....Every body had a comment on that movie and they all started with "I haven't seen it, BUT"

While it is satire it doesn't try and hit you over the head. It could easily stand on it's own as normal cop buddy movie without the starsky and hutch references, but everything it takes from the tv show it takes dead on.
As a side note, Snoop Dog is so great as huggy bear. Maybe it's that he has some acting under his belt or that he's off the weed but he was real good.

rkmsuf
03-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Stiller keeps playing the same characters and it's getting annoying and repetitive.

Maybe Fox will bring back Family Guy AND Ben Stiller's sketch show. He was funny back then, before he starred in that Farverevervre movie.

You are right it's that same character and schtick over and over. He's everywhere with the same thing...movies, tv, videos...

cthomer5000
03-08-2004, 02:19 PM
What is the deal with satirizing all these old TV shows? Why not just do a modern remake and leave it at that? I wouldn't mind seeing a good buddy movie crime drama, but for comedy I'd rather see "Rush Hour" than Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson (Owen works much better with Jackie Chan :D )
It really is amazing how well Chan worked with both Chris Tucker (Rush Hour) and Owen Wilson (Shanghai Noon). Sadly, in both cases the sequels really couldn't come all that close to measuring up to the very well done originals.

ISiddiqui
03-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Wilson and Stiller were both great in 'The Royal Tenenbaums'

rkmsuf
03-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Since we are on movies, this is way off topic but did anyone see Cold Creek Manor?

I've had to revise my worst movies ever list as a result of this...

cthomer5000
03-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Wilson and Stiller were both great in 'The Royal Tenenbaums'
agreed. While I know a ton of people who personally hated the movies, both Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums are among my top 10 all-time favorite films.

For me, Wes Anderson is currently the director/writer that always has me most jazzed for his next project (he supplanted P.T. Anderson a few years ago).

I can't wait for the The Life Aquatic, although it sounds like production hasn't exactly been smooth.

ISiddiqui
03-08-2004, 02:27 PM
While I know a ton of people who personally hated the movies, both Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums are among my top 10 all-time favorite films.

Wait, people hated those movies? Which sick freaks are these?! :mad: ;)

Subby
03-08-2004, 02:27 PM
agreed. While I know a ton of people who personally hated the movies, both Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums are among my top 10 all-time favorite films. Bottle Rocket is also an outstanding flick...

cthomer5000
03-08-2004, 02:28 PM
For several years now, I have thought that the most unwatchable and embarrassing actor to watch was Adam Sandler (with David Spade and Chris Farley as runner ups). But now there is someone even worse as the most unwatchable actor and that is Ben Stiller. Imo.
I think Sandler's great. He's probably my cinematic guilty pleasure.

I Just saw 50 First Dates with my girlfriend this Friday, and we both really enjoyed it. Some quality laughs, a pretty interesting story, and a pretty good supporting cast (although I could have done without Sean Astin). The only drawback was IMHO, a slightly creepy ending.

cthomer5000
03-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Wait, people hated those movies? Which sick freaks are these?! :mad: ;)
I dunno, I think some people have serious issues identifying with an imperfect protagonist.

Bottle Rocket is also an outstanding flick...
I definitely liked it, but to me the pacing and overall direction (not in a technical sense, but in a "arc of the story" sense) just felt off to me. I saw it last of all Anderons' stuff... so I think I was likely expecting too much.

Ksyrup
03-08-2004, 02:40 PM
"...Starsky & Hutch" won't be the last teaming of Stiller and Wilson, Stiller told the AP. Among the possibilities: Wilson reprising his "Meet the Parents" role in "Meet the Fockers," a sequel that begins shooting in April.

Won't all these movies together get tiresome? If not for the pair, then for the public?

Stiller doesn't think so.

"I don't think we have to worry about that, because not enough people come to our movies to get burned out on us," Stiller told the AP. "We sort of look at ourselves as like Hope and Crosby without the success."

"Without the huge following," Wilson added. "Martin and Lewis without the, you know."

Cringer
03-08-2004, 02:51 PM
I think Sandler's great. He's probably my cinematic guilty pleasure.

I Just saw 50 First Dates with my girlfriend this Friday, and we both really enjoyed it. Some quality laughs, a pretty interesting story, and a pretty good supporting cast (although I could have done without Sean Astin). The only drawback was IMHO, a slightly creepy ending.

My wife and I liked this movie a lot, too. At the only thing i can realy say about the ending is that i guess it was pretty nice that they didn't go for the "obvious" ending. If you have seen the movie you know what i mean. Otherwise I guess "creepy" isn't tht far off of a description for the end.

JeeberD
03-08-2004, 02:57 PM
I found the ending to be almost sad. The movie was cute, but sad in a way as well...

Franklinnoble
03-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Ugh... I watched "Bottle Rocket" once because someone recommended it to me. I have since resolved to never take movie recommendations from people who smoke large quantities of weed.

cthomer5000
03-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Ugh... I watched "Bottle Rocket" once because someone recommended it to me. I have since resolved to never take movie recommendations from people who smoke large quantities of weed.
but then you'd be missing out on Half-Baked, which is absolutely a must-see.

Subby
03-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Yeah - I don't recall any major explosions or lazer gun battles in Bottle Rocket.

Greyroofoo
03-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Stiller keeps playing the same character and it's getting annoying and repetitive.

Well Family Guy is officially coming (though it may skip fox and go straight to cartoon network)

Calis
03-08-2004, 03:25 PM
I feel the need to interrupt the Stiller bashing here to say that Zoolander is among my favorite "fun" movies of the last several years.

Some great lines in that one.

Ksyrup
03-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Well Family Guy is officially coming (though it may skip fox and go straight to cartoon network)
Yeah, I know, They should add some of the other good shows they canned while they are at it.

Nyarlahotep
03-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Since we are on movies, this is way off topic but did anyone see Cold Creek Manor?

I've had to revise my worst movies ever list as a result of this...

I thought the previews made it clear enough that the movie would suck that paying to see proof wouldn't be required.

rkmsuf
03-09-2004, 07:37 AM
I thought the previews made it clear enough that the movie would suck that paying to see proof wouldn't be required.

That was an astute observation...