PDA

View Full Version : FOF Extractor: Questions from Developer

gstelmack
03-07-2004, 08:38 AM
I'm changing around some internal bits in the Extractor to make it more flexible. Most notably instead of me hand entering the character bits for my OCR data structure, I'm now rendering the characters internally on the target machine and processing that to get the data. This has a couple of implications:

I should be able to get rid of the "Big Fonts" button and auto-detect and handle any DPI settings on the target machine.
Since I don't have to hand-do all the characters, I'm now filling the data structure with every printable character.
#2 is the big implication. Now instead of having to hardcode where everything is on the screen, I can actually scan labels to find out what field is on each line. This means I'll be able to pull in more data. For example, I currently don't pull in Volatility for non-draft players because it's position changes depending on the player's status. Now I can scan down that entire window and find the "Volatility" line. And I plan on adding "formations known" for QBs.

The question for all the users of the utility is: what other fields do you want to see in the Extractor output (only restriction is they must be in the Player Report window), and how do you want them?

This is mostly a quandary for free agent lists. The draft lists and team rosters are pretty homogenous, in that every player has very similar data. But for the free agent list, I might have some undrafted players with blue bars and combine data mixed in with veterans with red/green bars and no combine data.

Do you want to see combine data for everyone, with zeroes filled in for veterans? Or will that clutter the output? Will it confuse you to have the min/max blue bar setting mixed in with current/future data for each stat? Will you mind having veterans show 0/0 for their current/future overall while draft players have data filled in? (If Jim ever adds current/future overall to the Player Report for veterans, hint hint, I'll add that ;) )

Would it be useful for me to merge all the position data, so that everyone gets attributes for every position, with zeroes filled in for attributes they don't have at their position? What I mean by this is that I could show "Man-to-Man Defense" in the same column for LBs and DBs, with everyone else having zeroes there. Or would you rather me continue to separate the positions such that each position group has different columns?

Would college stats be useful for draft players?

Are there other bits of data that would be useful? Salary cap number? Years on team? Mentor/leader indicators?

Everything is on the table for 1.2. I'm looking for feedback from those that use it.

fantastic flying froggies
03-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Do you want to see combine data for everyone, with zeroes filled in for veterans? Or will that clutter the output? Will it confuse you to have the min/max blue bar setting mixed in with current/future data for each stat?
Might be confusing yes...

Will you mind having veterans show 0/0 for their current/future overall while draft players have data filled in?
No, that's not an issue for me.

Would it be useful for me to merge all the position data, so that everyone gets attributes for every position, with zeroes filled in for attributes they don't have at their position? What I mean by this is that I could show "Man-to-Man Defense" in the same column for LBs and DBs, with everyone else having zeroes there. Or would you rather me continue to separate the positions such that each position group has different columns?
Keep 'em separate. It's easier, plus I kinda remember a discussion a while ago where someone said the attributes were actually not the same for 2 differents position groups but rather relative. ie a 40 run blocking for an OT would be different than a 40 run blocking for a FB.

Would college stats be useful for draft players?
Not for me.

Are there other bits of data that would be useful? Salary cap number? Years on team? Mentor/leader indicators?
All of the above
Leadership and intelligence would be interesting also, as they indicate potential mentors.

Everything is on the table for 1.2. I'm looking for feedback from those that use it.

With all the time you spent fixing things just for me, the least I can do is give you some feedback. Excellent news on a 1.2 version !