PDA

View Full Version : More T.O.: Wants to be an Eagle, not a Raven

korme
03-07-2004, 09:57 AM
This is beautiful.

ESPN.com news services

PHILADELPHIA -- Even though he was traded to Baltimore, Terrell Owens says he is unsure whether he will report to the Ravens and still hopes to catch passes from Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia next season.

One day after the San Francisco 49ers sent the four-time Pro Bowl receiver to the Ravens, Owens told ESPN's Andrea Kremer he's not happy with the deal and plans to file a grievance.

"This is about me getting a fair shot at a team that I want to go to. Baltimore is definitely one of my choices, but Philly was my 'A' choice, my priority on my list," Owens said in an interview with Kremer late Friday night. "I talked to my agent earlier and we're going to file a grievance for the situation and we're going to hope for the best possible situation."

Chad Steele, a spokesman for the Ravens, said Saturday: "We have a valid contract with Terrell and we expect him to play for the Ravens." He declined to answer any other questions.

Desperate for a No. 1 receiver, the Eagles reportedly agreed to a contract with Owens that included a signing bonus believed to be worth about $10 million. But the volatile receiver was traded to the Ravens for a second-round pick Thursday before Philadelphia could complete a trade with the 49ers.

Eagles president Joe Banner told reporters on Saturday that while he didn't believe San Francisco "handled it the right way" by trading Owens to Baltimore after giving the Eagles permission to talk to Owens' agent, Banner didn't feel the Eagles had much recourse.

"I don't think what San Francisco did was against league rules," Banner said. "But I'm very disappointed that we were given permission to work something out and then they made this trade without giving us the chance to talk about anything else."

"What everybody did was certainly legal," Banner added. "San Francisco did control his rights and did have the right to trade him."

San Francisco general manager Terry Donahue said Eagles coach Andy Reid offered a fifth-round pick and wide receiver James Thrash for Owens.

"We had no interest in that whatsoever," Donahue said.

Donahue said he countered with a list of other players he'd want for Owens, but the teams couldn't agree on a deal.

"I told Andy we were going to move really quick and that we had a second-round pick and that if he had any further interest to call me back," Donahue said.

"I'm just as shocked as everyone else," said Owens in a Baltimore Sun report. "We were on the cusp of having something worked out with the Eagles and then the unfortunate happened within a matter of minutes."

Two Eagles sources told the Philadelphia Inquirer that the team reached a financial agreement with Owens and were about to contact the 49ers when they heard about the trade to the Ravens on television.

The sources said the Eagles had been pleasantly surprised at the financial deal, since Owens had reportedly been seeking a signing bonus equal to or exceeding $18 million -- the same bonus Randy Moss received from Minnesota in 2000, the Inquirer reported.

"I want to go where I feel comfortable and where I can be happy. I don't want to go anywhere where someone just trades me off to," Owens said. I feel like I'm entitled as a free agent to have my choice. Obviously I want to get paid, but at the same time, I want to get happy, too."

Owens told Kremer, "He [Donahue] knows he doesn't want to see me on an NFC team."

Owens failed to become a free agent this week when he missed a deadline last month to void the final three seasons of his contract. Joseph already filed a grievance with the NFL Management Council through the players' union in an effort to resolve that matter.

A source in the NFL office told the Inquirer that Joseph has not yet filed a grievance in protest of Owens' trade to Baltimore, and that the league considers the trade a done deal.

Owens contends he received no notification about the date change that resulted in his lost free agency, and isn't being treated fairly by the NFL or the players' association.

"We're not idiots," Owens said. "This is something we've been waiting on. The 49ers have known that I was more than possibly going to void my contract. There's been a lot of backstabbing going on the last couple of years.''

Owens caught 80 passes for 1,102 yards and nine touchdowns last season -- his lowest totals since 1999. He has been selected to the last four Pro Bowls while feuding with teammates, coaches, the 49ers' front office and the media.

Owens is due to make $17.7 million in base salary over the next three seasons, including $5.3 million next year -- a relative bargain for one of the NFL's best receivers.

When asked by Kremer if he would report to the Ravens, Owens said, "at this point I can't say what I am going to do."

The Eagles had perhaps the league's worst starting receivers, Thrash and Todd Pinkston. The duo combined for just 85 catches and three TDs last season. In Philadelphia's 14-3 loss to Carolina in the NFC championship game, Thrash had one catch and Pinkston had none.

The Eagles, who have lost the conference title game the last three years, upgraded their defense by signing three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jevon Kearse to a $66 million, eight-year deal. But they still need a top target for McNabb, who has openly campaigned for the team to acquire Owens.

Owens spent all eight of his NFL seasons with the 49ers, who drafted him in the third round in 1996.

He and Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison are the only receivers with more than 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns over the past four seasons.

Owens also is known for a series of on-field celebrations and off-field conflicts.

Two years ago, he pulled out a pen and signed a ball after scoring a touchdown in Seattle. He wasn't fined for the move but was severely chastised by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who said he would be disciplined for future stunts.

Owens also precipitated a melee during a game by dancing on the Dallas Cowboys' star at midfield after scoring.

He threw a sideline tantrum during a game against Cleveland last season, and lost it again the following week against Minnesota, chewing out offensive coordinator Greg Knapp after the 49ers were stopped on a fourth-and-1 running play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1752478

gstelmack
03-07-2004, 11:12 AM
"We're not idiots," Owens said. "This is something we've been waiting on. The 49ers have known that I was more than possibly going to void my contract. There's been a lot of backstabbing going on the last couple of years.''

So why didn't you submit your paperwork early? Like as soon as you possibly could? Why were you waiting until the last possible second?

Crybaby.

Danny
03-07-2004, 11:14 AM
I hope he gets traded to the Cardinals.

HornedFrog Purple
03-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Don't give our resident analyst Denny Green a heartattack.

wig
03-07-2004, 11:29 AM
They didn't submit the paperwork because they were trying to avoind getting franchised.

THe plan was to wait until the franchise tag deadline passed, and then apply for FA. The fatal flaw in the diabolical plan was this:

The franchise tag deadline is the same as the FA deadline.

Deattribution
03-07-2004, 11:37 AM
I doubt SF would of bothered tagging him, he isn't worth the trouble, it's just a lousey excuse for him being an idiot.

"I want to go where I feel comfortable and where I can be happy. I don't want to go anywhere where someone just trades me off to," Owens said. I feel like I'm entitled as a free agent to have my choice. Obviously I want to get paid, but at the same time, I want to get happy, too."

This right here proves he's an idiot, he isn't a free agent, he's not entitled to anything.

The_herd
03-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Well, the NFLPA is getting involved.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1753313

ESPN.com news services

It appears that Terrell Owens won't be the only party attempting to nullify the trade that sent him from the 49ers to the Baltimore Ravens.

The NFL Players Association plans to file what is known as a "special-master case" in the next few days to nix Thursday's trade and have Owens declared a free agent, union chief Gene Upshaw told The Washington Post for Sunday's editions.

Upshaw met with Harold Henderson, the NFL's executive vice president for labor relations, on Saturday. Upshaw and Henderson, who also serves as chairman of the NFL Management Council, were scheduled to speak again Sunday, according to The Post.

If the two cannot reach a resolution in the disputed trade of Owens, a four-time Pro Bowl performer, the union will then move to void the final three seasons of Owens' contract, Upshaw told The Post.

Upshaw said that if his meetings with Henderson do not resolve the dispute, the union will then submit its request to special master Stephen B. Burbank.

A special-master case is a trial-like proceeding and differs from the usual grievance process, in which the parties present their cases to an arbitrator.

Burbank, who is in charge of settling disputes regarding the league's collective bargaining agreement, would then have the power to void Owens' current deal, making it possible for the receiver to negotiate with any team he chooses, the newspaper reported.

"We think, at this point, that's the only case we can file," Upshaw said. "That's what we'll do the early part of next week. I want to talk to Harold Henderson in the early part of next week to see if there's something the parties can work out short of that proceeding. If not, that's what we'll do."

In the interim, the Ravens will also likely have a chance to rescind the trade. Owens is scheduled to report to the Ravens on Monday to take a physical, but a source told The Post that Owens will refuse to show up.

Since all players must pass a physical before their trade can be completed, the Ravens could choose to overturn the trade or waive that provision if Owens fails to take the exam.

The Ravens, if the trade is nullified, would have the second-round pick in the upcoming draft -- which they sent to San Francisco for Owens -- returned to them. At that point, Owens would also become an unrestricted free agent.

Owens failed to become a free agent when he and his agent, David Joseph, missed a Feb. 21 deadline to exercise a clause in Owens' contract that would void the final three seasons of his deal.

The Eagles reportedly agreed to a contract with Owens that included a signing bonus believed to be worth about $10 million and would have paid Owens more than $6 million a year. That deal was supposed to be a precursor to a trade that would have sent Owens from San Francisco to Philadelphia in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick and likely wide receiver James Thrash.

But Owens was traded to the Ravens for a second-round pick Thursday before Philadelphia could complete a trade with the 49ers.

Under Owens' current contract, he is due to make $17.7 million in base salary over the next three seasons -- $5.3 million next season, $5.9 million in 2005 and $6.5 million in 2006. The Ravens said Thursday they would try to negotiate a new deal with Owens, but those efforts have been impeded by the Eagles' proposal, according to the Post..

Upshaw refused to elaborate on the details of the union's case Sunday, but a source familiar with the proceedings told the Post that the union will concede that the receiver's agent, Joseph, made a mistake by failing to file the paperwork in time to make Owens a free agent.

According to the Post's sources, the union intends to argue that Owens should be declared a free agent because it had been known his intention was to leave the 49ers.

League sources, however, have said the NFL considers Thursday's trade legal and a done deal, and sees no reason to overturn it.

According to the terms of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, the special master's decision is subject to review by U.S. District Judge David S. Doty, who over sees the CBA.

Tekneek
03-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Well, in this case, I hope the NFLPA loses. There is a reason there are deadlines. It is because you are actually supposed to do it by that date, not merely intend to do it. You also cannot go around nullifying trades simply because another team was trying to land that same player. With that kind of thinking in place, you would only be able to trade players that nobody else wanted, and a team could get any trade nixed simply by making offers.

stevew
03-07-2004, 12:49 PM
They didn't submit the paperwork because they were trying to avoind getting franchised.

THe plan was to wait until the franchise tag deadline passed, and then apply for FA. The fatal flaw in the diabolical plan was this:

The franchise tag deadline is the same as the FA deadline.

I still like someone elses image of Owens and his agent huddled by the fax machine...."Do you have a pen?"

QuikSand
03-07-2004, 12:52 PM
In the interim, the Ravens will also likely have a chance to rescind the trade. Owens is scheduled to report to the Ravens on Monday to take a physical, but a source told The Post that Owens will refuse to show up.

Since all players must pass a physical before their trade can be completed, the Ravens could choose to overturn the trade or waive that provision if Owens fails to take the exam.

The Ravens, if the trade is nullified, would have the second-round pick in the upcoming draft -- which they sent to San Francisco for Owens -- returned to them. At that point, Owens would also become an unrestricted free agent.

This is the part I don't understand... if the Ravens void the trade as described, wouldn't TO just go back being under contract with the 49ers?

Anthony
03-07-2004, 01:41 PM
yes. i don't think TO understands the general "sucky part" about his predicament:

no matter which way you cut it - San Fran or Baltimore - TO is not going to be an unrestricted FA. the best he can hope to do is void the current trade and try to orchestrate a trade to a team of his choice. otherwise he has practically no avenue of recourse. the 49ers are under no obligation to see to it that the desires of a disgruntled employee (and a thorn in their side for that matter) undermine what's in the best interest of the team.

trade him to Detroit.

damnMikeBrown
03-07-2004, 02:22 PM
I hope the 49'rs hire a guy in the front office, just to see that they can do everything within their means and the boundries of the rules, to make life as difficult for T.O. as possible.

Logan
03-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Well we're not going to win next year anyway. I say we keep him, deactivate him, and let him sit out. Prick.

j51
03-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Poor guy, he's only under contract for $6 million next year. He certainly has my sympathy.

Kodos
03-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Well we're not going to win next year anyway. I say we keep him, deactivate him, and let him sit out. Prick.

A wonderful idea. Or make him play on special teams, but never on offense. :D

rkmsuf
03-08-2004, 08:52 AM
what an asshat. If I were the Eagles I'd say thanks but no thanks to that guy...

Hammer755
03-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Could somebody explain to me why Owens believes that he has any leverage at all? The NFL approved the trade to Baltimore, so how could he get it voided now? He's not a free agent, he blew that opportunity, so how can he dictate to the 49ers what team he can be traded to?

Samdari
03-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Could somebody explain to me why Owens believes that he has any leverage at all? The NFL approved the trade to Baltimore, so how could he get it voided now? He's not a free agent, he blew that opportunity, so how can he dictate to the 49ers what team he can be traded to?

If you are asking what Owens believes, it is that he is the best football player ever, and that every team (err, except the morons at the 49ers) wants to pay him the value of the league for the honor of having him on their team.

rkmsuf
03-08-2004, 09:21 AM
I understand he's a tremendous baby but legally I don't see how there is an issue either...

wig
03-08-2004, 09:23 AM
If Owens wins this, the NFL is in trouble.

Subby
03-08-2004, 09:24 AM
They should convert him to Punter and then release him.

That's what HFP would do!

Hammer755
03-08-2004, 09:29 AM
If you are asking what Owens believes, it is that he is the best football player ever, and that every team (err, except the morons at the 49ers) wants to pay him the value of the league for the honor of having him on their team.

I understand that Owens has a pretty high opinion of himself, but what legal repurcussions chould he possibly have in this case to void this trade, simply because he wants to play for the Eagles?

BigJohn&TheLions
03-08-2004, 09:30 AM
THis reminds me of something my daughter said one time: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Ksyrup
03-08-2004, 09:33 AM
"Upshaw refused to elaborate on the details of the union's case Sunday, but a source familiar with the proceedings told the Post that the union will concede that the receiver's agent, Joseph, made a mistake by failing to file the paperwork in time to make Owens a free agent.

According to the Post's sources, the union intends to argue that Owens should be declared a free agent because it had been known his intention was to leave the 49ers."

If this is the argument, there's no way he wins. Or at least, there shouldn't be. Contractual provisions have to be given their meaning, and in his case, the failure to file left him on the hook for another 3 years. There's no way anyone will rule that a team is presumed to know a player's intent, even if he expressly tells them what he intends to do. Otherwise, they would not be giving affect to a contractual provision which was agreed upon for a reason.

QS,

I don't understand that either - why would he become a free agent and not still be under contract? Obivously, there is something that permits that scenario, and I can only imagine that Owens and the NFLPA hope that dragging this out will force the Ravens to either trade him or rescind the trade. Because if they stand pat, I just don't see any way he wins.

rkmsuf
03-08-2004, 09:35 AM
"But TO, we clearly thought your intent was to reduce your salary to the minimum in order to help the team. It was clear; what's your beef?"

Ksyrup
03-08-2004, 09:38 AM
"But TO, we clearly thought your intent was to reduce your salary to the minimum in order to help the team. It was clear; what's your beef?"
Exactly.

Also, I could see a scenario where a player wouldn't want to become a free agent, but maybe got upset and spouted off to the media that he wanted to play elsewhere. If the league rules in Owens' favor here, then I could see a team using that to pre-emptively declare that a player exercised his option to get out of his contract by "making it clear" that he wanted to play elsewhere. I'd love to see that case get heard.

wig
03-08-2004, 09:41 AM
If TO gets let out of his contract, wouldn't the same happen to that Browns WR?

Daimyo
03-08-2004, 09:46 AM
According to the current issue of Sports Illustrated the whole "missing the deadline" thing sounds kind of fishy. Apparently, the deadline was moved up a couple days from what was specified in the contract due to a "technicality" and no one notified Owens or his agent of this. Of course you could say the agent's responsibility is to check and double check that sort of thing, but it does seem a little cheesy to me.

corbes
03-08-2004, 09:56 AM
After a weekend of reflection, I really really really really want T.O. on the Eagles. He would make us so damn much better. And we need that now -- before the window of opportunity closes (if it hasn't already).

cuervo72
03-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Me too, corbes.

Maple Leafs
03-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much, but does anyone else get the sense that Gene Upshaw doesn't think he has a chance in hell of winning this thing and is only making a half-hearted public show of contesting it?

rkmsuf
03-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much, but does anyone else get the sense that Gene Upshaw doesn't think he has a chance in hell of winning this thing and is only making a half-hearted public show of contesting it?

That's probably the case so that TO will shut his stupid mouth...

QuikSand
03-08-2004, 11:15 AM
According to the current issue of Sports Illustrated the whole "missing the deadline" thing sounds kind of fishy. Apparently, the deadline was moved up a couple days from what was specified in the contract due to a "technicality" and no one notified Owens or his agent of this. Of course you could say the agent's responsibility is to check and double check that sort of thing, but it does seem a little cheesy to me.

I have not read the SI piece, but this (the part highlighted above) conflicts with other reports. I have heard statements that the agent (and the several others who were affected by the date switch) were indeed notified "by fax and by telephone" about the date change. I don't have any claim as to what really happened... but the respnsible party (NFL front office?) is claiming that the agent was indeed notified directly about the change.

Ksyrup
03-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Peter King says in this morning's MMQB that sources tell him the agent was faxed notice 11 days earlier of the change.

Hammer755
03-08-2004, 12:05 PM

I'm not sure it is a technicality, but it is something that was known all along.

SI Article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/02/26/bc.fbn.nflrdp.ap/index.html)

Owens was among several players required to file by a new deadline, which recently was moved up 10 days for players who signed their contracts before the league's 2001 collective bargaining agreement went into effect.

Kodos
03-08-2004, 01:35 PM
After a weekend of reflection, I really really really really want T.O. on the Eagles. He would make us so damn much better. And we need that now -- before the window of opportunity closes (if it hasn't already).

If you do somehow get Owens, don't complain when he starts being a jackass towards the Eagles.

rkmsuf
03-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Maybe as an Eagle he'll whip out a cheesesteak in the endzone and he and Donovan can enjoy a tasty feast after each score...

HornedFrog Purple
03-08-2004, 02:21 PM
They should convert him to Punter and then release him.

That's what HFP would do!

Yes!!

(maybe a stint at DT for half a week or so, then punter... you want to go for total humiliation of primadonnas)

druez
03-08-2004, 02:25 PM
I really hope he becomes an Eagle. I think McNabb can keep him in line. We shall see.

Kodos
03-08-2004, 03:15 PM
I'd rather see Ray Lewis keep him in line. :D