PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Nvidia Drivers!!

samifan24
03-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Hey y'all. I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 and fired up NHL 2004 today only to find that I had a graphics card problem. I went to the Windows Update website, as I usually do, and downloaded the NVidia driver version 52.16 just fine. After downloading, the driver is unable to install and just sits there. After failing to install, I get a simple message on the site which states that there was an error and suggests I try to reinstall the 52.16 driver again. I went to NVidia's website but can only find drivers which I've already installed. Any ideas?

Buccaneer
03-07-2004, 03:18 PM
If on XP, go back to the restore point just before the update. Don't ever install third party drivers from Microsoft Updates, always from nVidia. Also, you can uninstall the driver, then install the one from nVidia which is a self-executable install.

AgPete
03-07-2004, 03:20 PM
I would download it from Nvidia like Bucc said but also if you're having problems there's a free application called Driver Cleaner that you can find if you search Google. It will clean up any mess made by that previous application and let you start fresh with the new driver.

gstelmack
03-07-2004, 03:35 PM
A side note: the MX cards are not very good for games. They have a tendency to lie about their capabilities (it's really a GeForce 2 core, not a GeForce 4) and are very difficult for developers to deal with. If you really intend to play 3D games heavily with this box, consider an upgrade. Even some of the $100 cards that are out now from ATI and nVidia are pretty good.

Buccaneer
03-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Best Buy has a GeForce FX 5200 128mb on sale right now for $79.99 (that's with a $20 rebate).

samifan24
03-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Well guys I went back to NVidia's website and downloaded the last update (seemed pretty old though) and now everything seems to work. I had no idea the card was bad for games, I know very little about video cards and it's whatever came with the computer. I haven't even though of buying a new card and, since I'm a college student, can't really afford to get a new one now either.