PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I won today

GoldenEagle
03-07-2004, 06:18 PM
So I went to my annual umprie meeting and noticed two autograph baseballs sitting on the desk. Anyway, to make a long story short, I answered a question and the head of SSM (the companny I sub contract for) tossed me one ball for getting a question right. What I saw next shocked me. It was signed by:

Mickey Mantle
Willie Mays
Duke Snider

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PS - It does have all of the certificates of authencity and all that by a company called Score Board, Inc.

CamEdwards
03-07-2004, 06:54 PM
holy crap. That's freakin' awesome. Congrats.

By the way... where do you live? And do you have a home security system?

Calis
03-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Yowza! That's frigging awesome. Congrats man.

GoldenEagle
03-07-2004, 06:57 PM
The ball is locked away in a saftey deposit box. :)

I am keeping it in the family for a long time. I just dont see the point of selling it.

Nyarlahotep
03-07-2004, 07:03 PM
What he didn't tell you is that he was startled and didn't catch the ball. Then when he turned around and bent over to pick it up the guy threw a trout up his rectum.

Buccaneer
03-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Ummm, GoldenEagle? As one that is in the business/hobby, 90% of all autographed memoriabilia are fake. The only true way to ensure its authenticity is to send it to PSA/DNA. http://www.psadna.com/

hukarez
03-07-2004, 07:18 PM
I want to know what the other ball had.

GoldenEagle
03-07-2004, 07:20 PM
The other ball had Don Drsdyle on it and I think that is it.

GoldenEagle
03-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Bucc - have you ever heard of a company called The Score Board, Inc.?

GoldenEagle
03-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Triple Dola-

If the ball was authenitc, what would it be worth?

Buccaneer
03-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Yes. Here was a response in the forum from someone asking about Score Board

Yes they might be authentic, but the certificates they issued with the signed items are generic. The newer PSA/DNA & Upper Deck Auth. versions have high tech certificates of authenticity with a serial # on the certif. as well as the item in question. So you can match them up if you will. I had purchased yeras ago at close out some auto material, and the certificates were preprinted that Roberto Alomar signed this Dwight Gooden signed that. I could have easily incl' the certificate with a fake ball I signed myself, and no one would be any of the wiser.
And of course Paul Goldins claim to fame was having a son that took over The score board business when he died, and we all know him and love him as that adorable huckster on Shop At Home, Ken Goldin...jay

In my opinion, the context in which you got theball and had it tossed to you leads me to be very suspicious. The Score Board went bankru[t as a public company a couple of years ago. My advice is get it authenticated by PSA/DNA and then go from there.

Hard to say on worth. If it was authenticated by PSA/DNA, it would be worth whatever someone would pay for it (usually on eBay).

GoldenEagle
03-07-2004, 07:51 PM
I am not going to sell it. I was just interested in what it may be worth.

JeeberD
03-08-2004, 12:25 AM
I have a baseball that was signed by the entire 1993 El Paso Diables team, including Jeff Cirillo. Is that worth at least 50 cents?

ice4277
03-08-2004, 05:54 AM
Fifty cents Canadian, maybe.

Mustang
03-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Well this site -

http://www.copesportscollectibles.com/baseballs.autographed.html

Has the exact same ball listed for sale @ $875... but, you can find them for $200 on Ebay.

I'd spend the $ and get it authenticated by a legitimate 3rd party and then use the Score Board COA to wipe your ass with.

OldGiants
03-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Congrats, GE.

And don't sell it, ever. Keep it and hand it down to your kid.

I've got a few 'valuable' baseball cards, like a Pete Rose rookie card, but I'll never sell them. Much better to pass them down to kids and make them happy.

BigJohn&TheLions
03-08-2004, 09:40 AM
I got a ball signed by the 2003 Tigers. I checked the price of a new baseball and it was cheaper to get the signed ball.

OK, seriously now. I used to have a '68 Tigers signed ball. My father's last wife gave it to me and let's just say that I couldn't look at the ball without thinking of her... I gave it away to a friend of mine.

GoldenEagle
03-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Well this site -

http://www.copesportscollectibles.com/baseballs.autographed.html

Has the exact same ball listed for sale @ $875... but, you can find them for $200 on Ebay.

I'd spend the $ and get it authenticated by a legitimate 3rd party and then use the Score Board COA to wipe your ass with.
That describes it to the tee. I would like to get it authenticated and then use it as the centerpiece of a memorabilia collection. Of course I am going to have to wait until I get out of college before I can do that.

RawIsDan
03-08-2004, 12:49 PM
You know that's the one problem I have with getting sports items that have been signed already. Unless I actually see the person sign it I can never fully belive it's authentic.

ice4277
03-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Make sure before you take the ball to get it authenticated that you wash it, so it looks as new as possible.

Craptacular
03-08-2004, 09:28 PM
You know that's the one problem I have with getting sports items that have been signed already. Unless I actually see the person sign it I can never fully belive it's authentic.

Exactly. I won't ever buy something because it's supposedly been autographed by someone famous. To me, getting an autograph was always about getting a memento from meeting a person, not just to claim to have something they signed. I don't understand why there is a market for this kind of thing.