PDA

View Full Version : FOF2 Producer Message

Barry
10-25-2000, 01:51 PM
Hello,

The reason that we at EA are upset is because we are currently in negotiations with the NFL for a license for this game. Viatech tested the site for 5 minutes with a live link, without our knowledge. The reason they were testing it is because I felt we were close to a deal. All of that is up in the air right now.

I am sorry some of you feel that EA does not care about this game and that EA keeps things from you guys. Both are not true. How many games at EA get a sequel even if they sell less then 10K units? The answer is that FOF is the first. That's a testament to both this community and this site as well as to the game itself. I have been in constant contact with both Jim Weiner and Tony since the begining of FOF.com and the beginning of this site. I have told them everything and had them release info that I was able to release. I have gone out of my way to make sure this game succeedes and this community stays informed.

This whole situation is a big mistake. I told Tony that as soon as the game was ready for release I would let him know first. The game was not ready for release and it was just a testing mistake. I feel bad for this community and I am doing everything I can to fix these problems, and get the game released. We are scrambling here to put out these fires and to make sure the NFL is not upset. Please understand that I care about this game and this community. Thanks for your patience.

Barry Dorf
Producer
EA.com

jerem77
10-25-2000, 01:53 PM
Thank You.

John Galt
10-25-2000, 01:53 PM
Barry, thanks for the information.

airulf
10-25-2000, 01:55 PM
Hmmm he didn't mention Dan Wasson.

------------------
Jeg ved hvor du bor!

mrskippy
10-25-2000, 01:57 PM
Well, I don't think things with the NFL will be that bad ... really, mistakes do happen. And, perhaps this will allow Paul Tagliabue to see the enthusiasm for the game.

But, hey a few early releases aren't going to hurt Al Davis in the pocket book. His $61 ticket prices in the last row above the end zone don't compare to the $25 for this game.

Perhaps a reverse in price, $61 for the game, $25 for the tickets might be a better idea. http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/smile.gif

Big_T73
10-25-2000, 01:57 PM
Good enough for me. Thanks!

------------------
86'Astros forever!

Kevin
10-25-2000, 02:04 PM
An appropriate response. I'm glad he didn't mention Dan as I want to see whether Dan has the character to respond and apologize by himself.

mtolson
10-25-2000, 02:05 PM
Barry:

I really appreciated the humility in your post, but I do have one question: Why did Dan Wasson slam the forum the way he did ?

As him being a representitive of EA I would expect a little more in the area of "political" correctness. EA's customer relations only suffer by accusing hundreds of would be purchasers of FOF, Madden, NBA Live, etc. In many cases, some of us own multiply copies for different platforms on which EA games sell.

I for one have been quite during the whole process and to be called a software pirate just because some of your most supporting customers made a mistake and tried to purchase the game really is making me rethink were to put my purchase dollars set aside for entertainment purposes. Yes the product may only sold 10K copies in the past, but is EA willing to lose 10k from each of its other products as a result of Mr. Wasson inability to control his mis-directed anger.

I really enjoy EA games as they reduce the every day work frustations. I hope that it can stay this way. It's all up to EA.

Marc

[This message has been edited by mtolson (edited 10-25-2000).]

Upstate_New_York
10-25-2000, 02:05 PM
Barry, thanks for a classy reply... and for shedding some light on the present happenings for us. Hopefully the fire is already down to a smoulder. This puts me more at ease.

------------------
"Words are a dead give-away."

Stanmarsh100
10-25-2000, 02:07 PM
I'm just happy to see Barry as a Waterboy. (I do mean that with the most respect.) http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/smile.gif
Thanks for the update, and I have my $25 ready and waiting.

[This message has been edited by Stanmarsh100 (edited 10-25-2000).]

Chubby
10-25-2000, 02:08 PM
Barry - Thanks for the info. Sent ya an email BTW.

mtolson - I think it was the heat of the moment for Dan. I think everyone (I know I have!) has done something in the heat of the moment that they normally wouldn't do.

sachmo71
10-25-2000, 02:12 PM
How the hell will NFL find out about it anyway?

------------------
Go Cowboys...errr, Jets! Yeah, Jets!

mtolson
10-25-2000, 02:17 PM
Chubby:

I agree that it was in the heat of the moment, but, comments like that really boil down to being professional in what you do. I would expect a representitive from EA to be extremely professional in a public forum like this. In a way, Dan Wasson's comments speak for EA.

Barry has made a good attempt at rectifing the issue, but I still have this image of a group of EA managers (including Dan Wassson) sitting around calling us pirates and all sorts of unprofessional things. Not exactly the image of someone I would like to give my money to.

Just my two cents.

Marc

Chubby
10-25-2000, 02:23 PM
Well I'll be the first...

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Hehehe (that's a JOKE, a J-O-K-E. HA HA, get it? http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/smile.gif)

mtolson - I understand, personally I can look back at things I did that MAYBE I shouldn't have and that when done, I don't think they represented "me" very clearly.

Dan's a good guy I think his passion to protect FOF just took over.

TheDawgsAreOut
10-25-2000, 02:31 PM
I think EA's doing a pretty good job of protecting FOF ... from ever being sold. I can't believe I can't even find a link to it on their web site anywhere. I believe they do have games for Playstation 3 on there, however. Giving information to FOF.com is also a good way to protect it from ever being read. This whole thing is becoming a joke. I love EASports' games, but, give me a break.

------------------
Hmm, Pac-10 champion Stanford gave up 509 total yards of offense to Tuiasosopo; I wonder how 3-4 Stanford will do against him.

JoeReymann
10-25-2000, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the dignified post, Barry. However, I would still like someone from EA to say that, while it may have been premature for Tony to show everyone that the link was working, the real problem stemmed from the fact that... *the link was working*! That wasn't Tony's fault. How about a little "That was our fault for having that link working live on the web for anyone with a computer and an internet connection." Of course, now that I think about it, that page isn't even accessible from the main EA website. Maybe that *was* Tony's fault...for providing a link that would have otherwise been inaccessible. Sorry Tony.

Chubby
10-25-2000, 02:53 PM
Joe - That URl had already been posted by a visitor to the site along time ago. Most evrybody on the board knew the URL.

BillsfanUK
10-25-2000, 02:54 PM
OK this is a improvement in the relations between EA and its customers - thank you Barry Dorf.

Lets be positive and give Dan a chance to retract that statement, if I got a penny for every post I regretted I'd have enough for a multi-pack of Doritos by now.

JoeReymann
10-25-2000, 03:07 PM
Ahh, in that case, eliminate the last part of that post, and underline the part about "it's not Tony's fault"

AncientPharaoh
10-25-2000, 04:16 PM
Somebody needs to beat the crap out of the guy who gave the link to all the members in the first place...

::slowly wanders off::

BEAT HIS ASS I SAY!!!

------------------
BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID

duckman
10-25-2000, 04:22 PM
Barry,

You're a bigger jackass than Dan!

------------------
-Oh, You didn't know! Your ass better call somebody!

Chief Rum
10-25-2000, 05:22 PM
duckman, what was that all about? Barry is trying to put out the fires, not spread them.

To me at least, his post comes off as sincere. I put next to no weight into EA's reputation with this board right now, but I do believe from past posts and this response that barry is earnestly trying to fix the damage and communicate with us.

I don't think we should just throw aside such efforts lightly, especially using personal attacks, a pathetic tactic you can't seem to avoid using.

It's about time you actually used intelligence and reason in your posts, don't you think?

Chief Rum

Laddin
10-25-2000, 05:24 PM
I'm still not entirely sure of the situation that's going on here, but I do want to commend the diplomacy in the statement from Barry.

NoMyths
10-25-2000, 05:37 PM
I for one appreciate the fact that Barry has taken the time to respond to the forum, especially in the way that he has. This is just a great example of the kind of tensions that build up in situations like this...it's nice to see a reasonable response from so many involved in this drama.

NoMyths

Riggo
10-25-2000, 05:49 PM
Pure and simple rubbish...as ususal. This was no more than an emotional response at best. Really, this had no informational content value whatsoever.

Do we know any more than we did before ? NO !

Post again when you have some REAL news ! In the meantime...don't waste our time !

Ben E Lou
10-06-2006, 12:58 PM
In fairness to them, bumping this one, too. ;)

Ksyrup
10-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Did the Dave Dial/Styx thread survive?

Pumpy Tudors
10-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Gosh, I hope so. That was the greatest thing in the history of history.

Hurst2112
10-06-2006, 01:03 PM

I was just thinking the same thing.

Damn, almost 6 years ago. wow.

rkmsuf
10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Gosh, I hope so. That was the greatest thing in the history of history.

Poor Styx. He got caught in the crossfire.

QuikSand
10-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Am I the *only* person who remembers that the guy's name was actually STIX?

Subby
10-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, I don't think things with the NFL will be that bad ... really, mistakes do happen. And, perhaps this will allow Paul Tagliabue to see the enthusiasm for the game.

But, hey a few early releases aren't going to hurt Al Davis in the pocket book. His $61 ticket prices in the last row above the end zone don't compare to the $25 for this game.

Perhaps a reverse in price, $61 for the game, $25 for the tickets might be a better idea. http://dynamic.gamespy.com/%7Efof/ubb/smile.gif
I forgot what a fucking idiot that chick was...

Shkspr
10-06-2006, 01:10 PM

All I remember is the mullet.

Ben E Lou
10-06-2006, 01:12 PM

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/member.php?u=691

SackAttack
10-06-2006, 01:12 PM
In fairness to them, bumping this one, too. ;)

Hey! I always thought extreme thread necromancy that served no purpose was grounds for a trip to the box?

Ksyrup
10-06-2006, 01:13 PM

But he was such an angry young man!

rkmsuf
10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/member.php?u=691

lol
----------------------------------

STIX
n00b

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all. I suppose most of you figured I would be here eventually.

Ok, let me clarify a few things:

- Yes, the FOF forums are back up temp under Gamer's Lounge .... don't know why they wanted them back up at the moment, but I was asked if GA-S / FOF could get one, so I threw it in.

- Yes, I posted that statement about the bad blood comment. There was a lot of bad blood when all of you guys left GA and went GS. There were staffers that had access to the databases there that are here that ripped down our sites and put up some legal threat that the content is theirs and they can do with it what they want, including removing it from GA and posting it elsewhere. Not only was this rude to rape the site, it is illegal and what was claimed is false. The term is 'corporate espionage', and applies to internet laws as well as normal business. Also, regardless if the staffers were getting paid or not, ALL content put up on a site automatically is copywrited and protected under LAW to the site it is with, NOT the person who wrote it or developed it unless that person has in writing that they created it and have a binding agreement that if the site uses it, the person retains the legal rights to it. THIS IS A LAW ...
"If a work is a work made for hire, the employer or other person for whom the work was prepared is the initial owner of the copyright unless there has been a written agreement to the contrary signed by both parties." ... there is more info on the site http://www.tilj.com/. We chose to not pursue it all because we decided to take the high road and let it go. I wanted to clarify things a bit back then, but felt it would have only caused confusion.

THAT is the rude thing I was talking about.

- As Glen will attest to (HI GLEN!!! Get Ahold of me dude ... I might actually make it back to WI in the next few months to visit!! ), GA has had some structuring issues. I will admit that there were many communication gaps, so when the admin guys commented that they weren't getting any communication from GA, that was probably true. BUT , we didn't hear from them either. So, who were the complaints going to? Dave Dial? He no longer works for GA and hasn't for a LONG time (before you all came here) ... but I will keep my mouth shut on why (you all can guess thou). Things are much different now, and getting better here. Some of the people that were here back then are no longer with the company, and people with a REAL idea on how things should go are getting into the right positions.

- Yes, that is a pic of me, and no I am not fat, (check the full pic in that thread over there) and yes they are cheap sunglasses!

- Yes, I was nice back then when the DD / Tony situation happened. I was just thrown in and told 'deal with this'. And, I am trying to be nice now. I don't want a forum war. Hell, if you all stay here and not go there, that is ok. But back and forth flaming or crap just isn't necessary.

I remember you Chubby ... and I have no probs with you or any of the former FOF staff or users. None. In fact, I don't even have a prob with Tony. Tony and I have talked on a few occasions face to face and I got along with his good. There is only 1 person currently working for GS that I don't like for reasons that have nothing to do with this board at all.

BTW, I know the forums over there suck. I am working on an upgrade that will be in place soon. You are all welcome there anytime, but please don't start wars. I said it back during the Tony / DD deal ... these forums are all for gaming ... so lets talk gaming!!!

Thanks for your time. Feel free to email me anytime with your concerns.

------------------
As Always -

Jason STIX Buckley
eUniverse Project Manager of Community Development
Gamers' Alliance / Gamer's Lounge Network

Hurst2112
10-06-2006, 01:16 PM

No. I think his avatar on the 'other FOF forum' (remember that?!) had him dressed in a trench coat holding a pair of drum sticks.

I moved out to minneapolis around the time this all took place. I was living on my savings for a month so I spent most of my time online. I loved sitting down with a 6 pack and gorging myself on that whole fiasco. Good times.

rkmsuf
10-06-2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=4001

Hurst2112
10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
HI GLEN!!! Get Ahold of me dude ... I might actually make it back to WI in the next few months to visit!!

That is a quote that will stay with me for some time. :D

Hurst2112
10-06-2006, 01:22 PM

Funny how 5+ years changes you attitude. I was a little bitch back then. Almost feel stupid looking back at my lame-ass post.

Wait, I might have been drunk. Perhaps things don't change that much!

stevew
10-06-2006, 01:35 PM
One of my coworkers at an old job had the license plate Styx Fan.

that's all i have to add.

twothree
10-06-2006, 01:35 PM

Is wignasty's time "In The Penalty Box" up yet?

Raiders Army
10-06-2006, 01:37 PM

wignasty is still in the penalty box? That's some punishment.

Ksyrup
10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Funny how 5+ years changes you attitude. I was a little bitch back then. Almost feel stupid looking back at my lame-ass post.

Wait, I might have been drunk. Perhaps things don't change that much!

I'm the same guy...picking out the music references and mentioning KX! :D

twothree
10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
wignasty is still in the penalty box? That's some punishment.

:D That has got to be the longest stretch in the penalty box. I wonder if wignasty is the only one serving such a sentence?

Hurst2112
10-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm the same guy...picking out the music references and mentioning KX! :D

Too funny.

General Mike
10-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Barry Dorf is the best name ever.

Hurst2112
10-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Barry Dorf is the best name ever.

That name goes with the impersonation of Andy Reid from SNL a few years back. I think Will Farrel did it.

JeeberD
10-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Does that alternate FOF board still exist? That would be a sight to see...