PDA

View Full Version : OT - Manufactured competitions (reflections on a youth without computers)

QuikSand
05-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Since so many of us are fans of the text sim genre (I hope that's still trtue around here, at least), I suspect there will be plenty of things to contributwe to this theme.

I love competitions. Leagues, win/loss records, scores, stats, standings, championships, halls of fame, all that stuff. Playing computer football games and other sports sims is a great way to drop yourself into that environment, which we all love. No surprise.

Now, a lot of us grew up before computers were everywhere - but still had these passions. I know friends who played Bowl Bound for years on end, keeping detailed records of every game, and others who played Strat-o-Matic baseball for seasons on end. All fine and good.

I'm interested in even one level lower than that. Did anyone out there just sort of "invent" your own kind of competitions, just as a way of generating the stuff we love -- winners and losers, standings, records, stats, and so forth? Sports or otherwise, built on an actual game or not... what sort of stuff did you come up with, as a manifestation of your love of structured competitions?

HornedFrog Purple
05-28-2004, 01:22 PM
I don't know if anyone remembers the Monday Night Football with the mini records that you popped into this fake radio, but I used to play that and keep stats.

I also invented a wrestling game with some regular dice and a quarter because I used to watch WCCW (world class championship wrestling) as a kid. I made up my own system and rolled dice to determine the moves and stuff... I played that for hours. And of course I kept track of wins and losses and who had the titles. The funny thing is WCCW actually did come out with a board game and one of my childhood's friend's father thought mine was better.

Yes there was not much to do in Zephyr but work on a farm. :)

QuikSand
05-28-2004, 01:25 PM
I remember back in elementary school, I worked hard to finally collect a complete set of NFL-team pencils. (They were available for 5 cents at a machine at our school)

I have a vague recollection (this was about age 8 or 9) of playing some sort of game on my mother's glass coffee table. It involved spreading out all the pencils, and then flicking them into one ahother with the goal of knocking teams off the edge of the table. The teams that lasted longest got some kind of score, and it all went into a notebook of records I kept. Mom thought I was nuts, but it kept me quiet, at least.

sabotai
05-28-2004, 01:31 PM
When I was younger, me and my neighbor would routinely create systems using dice or cards to decide football game, baseball, hockey, tennis, boxing basketball and auto racing. And usually we revised our system every few months.

In the cases of football and baseball, we would do it play-by-play (or pitch-by-pitch). Hockey was in 10 second "turns" as was boxing. Tennis, shot-for-shot. Basketball was possesion-for-possesion. With auto-racing, I had a Daytona 500 board game that we used combined with our system of dice and cards. I usually only got 1 or 2 seasons into it (with hockey, basketball and baseball, I used short seasons) before I would either move to something else or feel the need to revise it and start over.

No, my family didn't have much money when I was growing up. :)

Franklinnoble
05-28-2004, 01:31 PM
I remember back in elementary school, I worked hard to finally collect a complete set of NFL-team pencils. (They were available for 5 cents at a machine at our school)

I have a vague recollection (this was about age 8 or 9) of playing some sort of game on my mother's glass coffee table. It involved spreading out all the pencils, and then flicking them into one ahother with the goal of knocking teams off the edge of the table. The teams that lasted longest got some kind of score, and it all went into a notebook of records I kept. Mom thought I was nuts, but it kept me quiet, at least.
Mom was right. http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

digamma
05-28-2004, 01:32 PM
What didn't I have a competition in?

I had a Step Ball League. I would play against the top of the stairs, but in my mind it was a tournament bracket, and with each win I would advance a round in the tournament.

My house had a path that went around the foyer through the dining room, kitchen and living room, back to the foyer. I treated like a track and would try to get around it in the quickets amount of time--race walking, of course. The parents loved that one.

Just using the stop watch, I would try to set records for how quickly I could start and stop the thing.

I set up a neighborhood olympics one year, complete with a number of different events and a medal ceremony.

I had a complete set of NFL HotWheels cars. I would race these from one end of my cedar chest to the other, keeping detailed records of who won each heat, etc.

Every time I threw the ball with my dad, it became a game. He would throw me grounders, pop-ups or line drives, and depending on how I handled them, runners would advance, or I would get them out.

I had all sorts of imaginary wrestling leagues with M.U.S.C.L.E.s.

I'll stop now, but I could go on and on. And these were all pre-computer simulation, which of course stepped things up a huge notch.

albionmoonlight
05-28-2004, 01:33 PM
I have been waiting for this question my entire life.

I had matchbox cars when I was a kid. I would play demolition derby. The rules were--you put a car in each hand and rolled them into each other. If both cars or neither car ended up on its back, you resmash them until one is standing and the other is not. There were, of course, all sorts of ground rules relating to obsticles in my room--the details of which are not important here, but rest assured that they are about as detailed as you would imagine.

I had seen the NCAA tournament at that point, so I understood 64 bracket tournaments and would set the cars up in them. Later, I had the idea to play entire seasons and playoffs with the cars--complete with divisions and records and tie-breakers and the like (I still have the records of all of those seasons at home. Lots and lots of paper).

What made the game so addictive was the fact that the cars had different . . .styles and personalities. They were a diverse group of matchbox cars. Some were really heavy. Some were low to the ground. Some were taller and lighter. As you would expect, big heavy cars and cars low to the ground did a lot better in a "which car gets flipped over" contest than did cars modeled after, say, an Astrovan.

Because the cars had different abilities, the tournaments and seasons allowed for upsets. Just like Kentucky will beat UAB 9 time out of 10--the "top seeded" cars would win most of the time, but would lose just enough to keep it interesting. There were a group of about 5-10 cars that could always be expected to be in the mix at the end. However, there was always that random tournament or two when a car that had no earthly business being in the finals managed to make it there and win it all.

It was the closest thing to a simulated sports league that I have ever had.

HornedFrog Purple
05-28-2004, 01:35 PM
I remember when I played this game. I am not sure there was ever an official name for it but it went something like this.

You took a sheet of graph paper and fold it in half. Then you and your opponent draw the same number of spaceships on each side. Then you each take turns making a dot on the back of your side of the sheet and press it hard enough so that it appeared on the opponents side. If you hit any part of the ship you draw a little crater or erase that part of it. Every ship had one square that was its reactor and if you hit that square the ship blew up.

It was sort of a weird version of battleship. But anyways the stats/competition part was keeping track of how many ships you blew up and how many times you won the game. It was a small group of us but we made a promotion system based on the number of ships you blew up total. Such as 50 ships = Captain, 75 ships=General and the highest one was like Super Admiral but no one ever got that high.

sabotai
05-28-2004, 01:37 PM
albion reminded me of one I forgot. I would use matchbox cars and create a track out of either pencils or cards (cards when I didn't have enough pencils) and then race them around. The simpel rule was I would give it a little push and let it roll. If it hit another car or the wall, accident. Some cars rolled better than others, and would usually win. I remember one race I had this car lead the race the entire way by a good length. Another time, I created this enormous track all across my living room.

Maple Leafs
05-28-2004, 01:39 PM
When I was a kid we'd spend weeks in the summer visiting my grandparents, who lived in small-town Quebec where there's not much of anything for an english kid to do.

To pass the time, I invented several sports game that I could play with dice. I still remember the baseball game, which started off simple and got more advanced as I tweaked it. Some years I would keep notebooks full of stats and rosters, and keep track of everyone's totals. I'd have schedules, lineups, even unqiue ballparks.

digamma
05-28-2004, 01:40 PM

I had matchbox cars when I was a kid. I would play demolition derby. The rules were--you put a car in each hand and rolled them into each other. If both cars or neither car ended up on its back, you resmash them until one is standing and the other is not. There were, of course, all sorts of ground rules relating to obsticles in my room--the details of which are not important here, but rest assured that they are about as detailed as you would imagine.

I had seen the NCAA tournament at that point, so I understood 64 bracket tournaments and would set the cars up in them. Later, I had the idea to play entire seasons and playoffs with the cars--complete with divisions and records and tie-breakers and the like (I still have the records of all of those seasons at home. Lots and lots of paper).

This was one of the ways I wrestled MUSCLES. I had a little ring drawn on my desk and I would throw the two figures at one another. Whoever stayed in the ring was the winner. Ironically, this was one of the few things I didn't use in a bracket format. I played it more in a winner stays and is the reigning champion. I had records for the number of successful defenses.

QuikSand
05-28-2004, 01:40 PM
To this day, I still think that the economist in me was born at the NFL pencil machine in front of Mr. Meade's office at Woodlands Elementary School.

One day, I put in a nickel, and expected to get my random pencil. The machine instead jammed somehow, and I got nothing. I asked the secretary in the office for help, and Mr. Meade came out to resolve the problem. He had the key to open the machine... and he asked me what team I wanted.

I was maybe seven years old. This was like paradise! I could get my beloved Miami Dolphins! I usually had to wait for them, or . . . or . . . trade for them...

"I'll take the Dallas Cowboys" came out of my mouth before I even had a chance to think about it.

I went off and found one of the many "America's team" saps around schol, and negotiated something like a three-for-one deal, getting not only my Dolphins, but probably something ratty like the Chiefs and Bears in the deal too. But it was a lesson learned. Supply and demand. Stupid Cowboys fans. It all came together.

Maple Leafs
05-28-2004, 01:41 PM
This was one of the ways I wrestled MUSCLES.Were those the little pink figures, about an inch high?

digamma
05-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Were those the little pink figures, about an inch high?
Indeed.

Maple Leafs
05-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Indeed.Sweet god, I had those! I'd completely forgotten about them. My favorite was the soccer ball dude, and the scrawny ref.

QuikSand
05-28-2004, 01:45 PM
I used to make a tournament out of eating peanut M&Ms. I'd grab a handful of them, and that would be the competition for the contest. I would grab two at random, and push them together until one's shell started to crack. The loser, alas, gets eaten. The winner (the intect one) gets to take on another challenger. So it goes until the whole handful is eaten.

For what it's worth - it seems the winner or each contest gets slightly weakened with the stress, and one M&M can rarely winmore than two or three contests. But occasionally you get some weird-shaped ones that are like killer rocks.

Oh yeah... I should be speaking in the past tense. Right.

It was a handful of peanut M&Ms earlier today that got me thinking about starting this thread...

QuikSand
05-28-2004, 01:46 PM
To pass the time, I invented several sports game that I could play with dice. I still remember the baseball game, which started off simple and got more advanced as I tweaked it.

I have to think I'm not the only (former) kid here who tried to make up a baseball game using dice and the stats on the back of the card...

JAG
05-28-2004, 01:49 PM
My younger brother and I used to race Matchbox cars down one of those PlaySchool slides for my youngest brother. We would have 5 sets of qualifying heats of five at a time, removing whichever car made it least far to the next part of the qualifying until we were down to one car, which made it to the finals. After we had five cars for the finals, they raced off in similar fashion until we had a grand winner. We each took ownership of different cars and had a few neutral ones thrown in there as well. You could usually count on about 4 or 5 to have the best chance to win it all. My parents eventually replaced the floors that had had these cars repeatedly banging into them. :)

JAG
05-28-2004, 01:51 PM
I used to make a tournament out of eating peanut M&Ms. I'd grab a handful of them, and that would be the competition for the contest. I would grab two at random, and push them together until one's shell started to crack. The loser, alas, gets eaten. The winner (the intect one) gets to take on another challenger. So it goes until the whole handful is eaten.

For what it's worth - it seems the winner or each contest gets slightly weakened with the stress, and one M&M can rarely winmore than two or three contests. But occasionally you get some weird-shaped ones that are like killer rocks.

Oh yeah... I should be speaking in the past tense. Right.

It was a handful of peanut M&Ms earlier today that got me thinking about starting this thread...

That's right, whenever my younger brother and I each got packs of M&M's (usually at the grandparents' house), we would each arrange them in order of best to worst color (green, orange, yellow, brown, black) and see who had more of each. Fun stuff.

Maple Leafs
05-28-2004, 01:52 PM
I have to think I'm not the only (former) kid here who tried to make up a baseball game using dice and the stats on the back of the card...Mine was more simple. If I remember right, I'd roll two dice for each pitch -- even was a ball, odd was a strike. A seven was a hit, which would trigger another roll to see what happened. As I went on, I started adding modifiers for especially good or bad hitters (I had to make sure Jesse Barfield got his HRs, after all).

The thing that stands out in my memory is how quickly I could play through a game. I became quite adept at rolling dice, reading the number, and grabbing the dice to roll again, all in one motion (with my right hand, while my left hand noted the result on the scorecard). More than once an adult would wander over to see what I was doing and leave, shaking their head.

rkmsuf
05-28-2004, 01:52 PM
albion reminded me of one I forgot. I would use matchbox cars and create a track out of either pencils or cards (cards when I didn't have enough pencils) and then race them around. The simpel rule was I would give it a little push and let it roll. If it hit another car or the wall, accident. Some cars rolled better than others, and would usually win. I remember one race I had this car lead the race the entire way by a good length. Another time, I created this enormous track all across my living room.

What made the game so addictive was the fact that the cars had different . . .styles and personalities. They were a diverse group of matchbox cars. Some were really heavy. Some were low to the ground. Some were taller and lighter. As you would expect, big heavy cars and cars low to the ground did a lot better in a "which car gets flipped over" contest than did cars modeled after, say, an Astrovan.

Because the cars had different abilities, the tournaments and seasons allowed for upsets. Just like Kentucky will beat UAB 9 time out of 10--the "top seeded" cars would win most of the time, but would lose just enough to keep it interesting. There were a group of about 5-10 cars that could always be expected to be in the mix at the end. However, there was always that random tournament or two when a car that had no earthly business being in the finals managed to make it there and win it all.

It was the closest thing to a simulated sports league that I have ever had.

Dudes this is scary. I bet I can still find notebooks hanging around with my car point standings and a box of popsicles sticks in it used for the track.

Hammer755
05-28-2004, 01:53 PM
The last time I was at my parents' house, I went through my old room, where I haven't lived in over 10 years. In one of the dresser drawers, I came across a spiral notebook where I had kept game-by-game and tabulated stats from seasons that I had played in the original NES Tecmo Bowl.

I also remember doing the same thing with RBI Baseball, but I didn't find the book where I kept the baseball stats. I still remember calculating the players stats by hand - for some reason at the time I thought that a fielder's choice counted the same as a sacrifice bunt, so all of the guys had ridiculously high batting averages, even for a NES game.

Wolfpack
05-28-2004, 02:04 PM
A flood of childhood memories. I sometimes used the MUSCLE guys for wrestling, but I actually constructed an entire football league around them. Had a electric football field that had lost most of its players and used that for the playing field, though I think I turned it into an arena league field of 50 yards rather than 100, though the width was still the same. No real rules governance about how play unfolded. I think I used a die, but it's hazy. I think it was four or five to a side since they were so big compared to the field. I even created "newspapers" that had standings and even a drawing to mimic a photograph one might see in the paper. I think I did at least a couple of years of that.

Invented basketball leagues using a Nerfoop, with some rules as it was me against myself, but I was playing different players on the team (3vs3, I think). I think the play flow was a long range shot, followed by a medium, followed by an in-close attempt (representing the guard, forward, and center). If a shot was made, change possession to the other team; it's their turn. If all three were missed, the other team got a fast-break that resulted in a dunk usually. Me being the geography nut that I am, I also created trophies for each of the divisions in the league that resembled the ACC trophy (outline of the states that have ACC teams with stars where the teams are located).

Let's see...what else? I created a small soccer league using a deck of playing cards dictating the scoring by half. 2-9 (or 10, can't remember) scored nothing, 10-J was 1 goal, Q-K was 2 goals, and drawing an ace resulted in 3 goals. Teams, based on prior year's performance, could modify the value of the card so that better teams were more likely to win. Made up team logos and everything. New York Knights, Baltimore Harbor Side, West Palm Beach Raiders, LA Stars, San Antonio Lone Stars, New England Britons.... I actually expanded the league to 12 and put in relegation.

Oh, yeah, also did the Matchbox/Hot Wheels racing thing. Usually some sort of downhill side-by-side race (driveway across the street from my house was smooth and long enough but not too long for such things) or using a Hot Wheels garage set which had a large swooping 'S'-curve from top to bottom and using a stopwatch that was built into my watch.

Good stuff.

Franklinnoble
05-28-2004, 02:05 PM
To this day, I still think that the economist in me was born at the NFL pencil machine in front of Mr. Meade's office at Woodlands Elementary School.

One day, I put in a nickel, and expected to get my random pencil. The machine instead jammed somehow, and I got nothing. I asked the secretary in the office for help, and Mr. Meade came out to resolve the problem. He had the key to open the machine... and he asked me what team I wanted.

I was maybe seven years old. This was like paradise! I could get my beloved Miami Dolphins! I usually had to wait for them, or . . . or . . . trade for them...

"I'll take the Dallas Cowboys" came out of my mouth before I even had a chance to think about it.

I went off and found one of the many "America's team" saps around schol, and negotiated something like a three-for-one deal, getting not only my Dolphins, but probably something ratty like the Chiefs and Bears in the deal too. But it was a lesson learned. Supply and demand. Stupid Cowboys fans. It all came together.
I love you, man.

sabotai
05-28-2004, 02:05 PM

Isn't it weird looking back to things that seemed small at the time, but they ended up basically shaping a really big part of your life?

The historian in me was born when I rented this game from the local video store called Ghengis Khan of the NES. Because of that simple, nearly random event, I am a history buff, use a mongol general's name as my handle, and am generally fascinated with all of the "barbarians" in history.

The role-playing fanatic also started the same way. In the local video store, just browsing on a Friday after school. Looking for something to rent for the weekend, I saw this game I never heard of before called Final Fantasy. I didn't breathe fresh air again until Monday morning.

With programming and test sims in general, my parents bought a computer for my dad's business. On it was this thing called QBASIC (I had previously tought myself the version of BASIC on the C64, but that was at the time a fad, since it had been years since my C64 even worked that my parents got this computer). I thought it would be rather neat to make little programs to help move my games along. It took me a long time to do games in some sports, so having programs do it in seconds rather than minutes would be really cool.

I know a lot of people start programming because they simply get a computer, but for me the idea of doing the games was really the motivation for me to learn it. Plus that I had previously leaned the version of BASIC on the C64 because one day I was flipping through the c64 manual and started reading about it. The reason I started all of these systems goes back to summer vacation one year. I had a deck of cards, preseason football had just started, and I was bored. So I took a card at a time, and used it for the score for one period. So I would turn over a 4 and that would be team's 1 score for the first period. Next would be a 9, and that's team's 2 score for the 1st period. And I would do that for 4 quarters. And that was what started me creating systems.

So if you think about it, the biggest parts of my life (history, role-playing games (and with that sci-fi and fantasy, and with that the desire to write my own sci-fi and fantasy), and most importantly programming) was all started because as a kid I flipped through a book, randomly picked 2 games to rent, and was bored one day on summer vacation with a deck of cards.

Of course, a lot of that probably would have happened anyway considering other events (especially the programming), but it's still kind of cool to speculate what things would have been like if I didn't have that deck of cards, or if that game had already been rented by the time I got there, or if that C64 manual hadn't been sitting there or if I wasn't curious to see what was in there.

Suicane75
05-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I forget the game, but it was for NES, maybe RBI Baseball, I would name the teams, keep the stats of the players and play all the games, over the cours of a summer I had played 3 or 4 162 game seasons and had notebooks full of boxscores and leaderboards and what not.

I also did the wrestling thing, I would take 3 dice and make up cards, I would then weight the wrestlers, giving the best ones a pre determined number of points going in so it was favorable that they would win, I would then wrestle the matches with me as 1 guy and my Hulk Hogan wrestling buddy as the other one, I still remember coming with something called a "pint" match between the Skyscraper and The Road Warriors where the winning team was the one that filled a jar up with a pint of it's opponents blood, useing a couple of tubes of fake blood i was able to mess my room up pretty damn good, but man was it fun.

I would also simulate the NFL by making out a schedule and useing playing cards, I would use the 3, 7, & 10 cards, face cards were 0 points, the joker was 13 points, I would then give each team a card for all 4 quarters and add it up to determine the final score, I would do this all time but the ones i remember best were the saturday night before the NFL season started as I would sit in bed listening to a random AM sports station doing NFL previews.

Professor58
05-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I came up with a real simple hockey game. You would play 3 periods. Each period would be a roll of a die. Roll 1 - 1 goal, 2 - 2 goal period, 3 - 3 goal period, 4,5,or 6 was 0 goals for that period. With paper and pencil I would keep track of the original six team standings. Thing I remember most was trying to erase the W-L without making a hole in the paper.

sabotai
05-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Thing I remember most was trying to erase the W-L without making a hole in the paper.

I had to rewrite so many things because of eraser torn paper. :)

MJ4H
05-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Man I made up so many of these types of games it is scary. I used to do the racing thing, but with pennies I would slide across the bar top. I used to simulate entire decades of a fictional baseball league using dice (by myself). I invented something remarkably similar to curling, which I had never heard of at the time, using a kitchen floor and little round parts of some toy or game, I don't even remember (and of course, an associated "league" emerged). I used to make a "league" out of a really stupid solitaire game I made up with a deck of cards that pitted all four suits against one another (I always rooted for clubs - still my favorite suit and this is totally arbitrary).

I also began programming computers (on an apple ][) solely for the purpose of making some of this silly little dice games and the like into something less cumbersome and more robust. My first project was a BASIC program that simulated NBA seasons and even featured random trades! The algorithm for that game was pretty stupid, but my friends and I had a blast watching the games unfold.

The algorithm was basically this: every player in the nba had a PPG avg. in a given game, their production was calculated as being 75-125% of their current PPG value. A team's score is then just a total of each player's production. After each 10 games, PPG values were recalculated based on the last 10 games performance. And trades would happen from time to time. I had like a 1 in something chance of a trade happening after a given game. Then two players from different teams were randomly(!) chosen to be traded. Made for some jaw-droppers of course. It was far from perfect, but as a first big programming project I was proud of it, and my friends LOVED it.

CentralMassHokie
05-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Along the lines of some here, my friend and I had competing wrestling federations using G.I. Joe guys. We'd each setup matches and competitions, had our own champions, and then once in a while would have a mega-card where our champions would fight each other. We went as far as to build a super cage out of Construx and have injured G.I. Joe guys (ones who's elastics had snapped and we hadn't had time to put back together) become interviewers.

At school, anytime we had an indoor recess (which, in New England winters, is a lot), we'd play table-top football (the little paper wedge you flick and try to hang over the edge of the desk). We had like a 6 or 8 person league, with a regular season, playoffs, and a "checks" for the champion and runner up. I was the winningest player in history, winning the big prize twice and coming in second a third time.

Of course, that's not to mention the hours and hours drafting teams in the early EA Sports games that allowed you to draft teams (Lakers vs. Bulls, maybe) and watching our creations play each other. Tom Chambers was unstoppable.

QuikSand
05-28-2004, 02:26 PM
I also recall putting all my mini football helmets (from the quarter vending machines) to good use and starting an actual football league using them. In time, I discovered that you could do two things with the little helmets:

-you could flick downward on the back of the helmet with a proper touch, and it would launch forward a few inches, roll onto its back, and then reset itself upright ... about 2/3 of the time

-you could flick downward really hard on the back of the helmet, and the helmet would flick forward between 6 and 24 inches in the air (just barely off the floor) with a modest amont of accuracy

I decided in time that these two things would become rushing and passing in my football league. I don't recall exactly how I made it work, but I remember playing football games using the helmets against one another -- flicking helmets forward to represent a running back rushing with the ball, flicking others toward it to represent would-be tacklers, and later hard-flicking a QB-helmet in the direction of a WR-helmet in an attempt to complete a pass.

I remember laying out masking tape all across our hardwood floor to mark the yard lines and out-of-bounds markers.

QuikSand
05-28-2004, 02:35 PM
I came up with a ton of these once I got into programming as well. Ah ... Atari BASIC... I can almost remember some of those PEEK and POKE locations to this day.

I created one very cool sit-and-watch game, I recall. I had established a game with a variety of figures representing swordfighters, who would battle one another on a left-to-right display (simple stuff, really). Each fighter had some characteristics for aggression, strength, and defense - that sort of thing. The game basically just rolled lots of dice and showed what happened with a little animation.

I spent some time doing some research, and entered in all the great swordsmen from history and mythology, including many of the Knights of the Round Table, legends from various mythologies, and so forth. Achilles was a bitch to injure, Odysseus was an aggressive madman, Sir Lancelot was excellent overall... it was great. (Raiko... Gray Mouser...Beowulf... all the greats were in there)

I set the whole thing up as a random selection, double-elimination tournament. Two names drawn at random, and they fight. Once a fighter loses twice, he's out. Even the winner would carry on with some of the injuries he sustained in the fight. At the end, there would be a Top Ten list created based on how many wins each fighter had in the whole thing -- so not getting your name drawn often meant you lasted longer, but didn't rack up victory points for the final standings.

I'd give $100 right now to be able to go home and play that game again.

albionmoonlight
05-28-2004, 02:47 PM
I used to wrestle my He-Man figures against each other. If you beat a guy, you got to keep his arm and use it in the next match, which was a pretty cool touch.

Radii
05-28-2004, 03:01 PM
oh dear.

I had the entire national league schedule on the back of a 1985 NL review book, and I invinted simple dice games to resolve each game, something akin to point spreads or handicapping, giving the better team bonuses to their rolls, things like that.

We didn't keep notebook paper around the house, so I used the inside and back cover to my books to keep track. Many would consider that blasphemous I'm sure, but I was a math geek, I cared not for books back then.

I played basketball in the back yard and would use my stopwatch to time games. I'd play by myself, forcing myself to take difficult shots, lots of turnarounds and stuff, and I'd have to take it back past the FT line after each shot. If I did something(I forget what, I think it involved the rocks scattered around the yard) then a foul occured, and if I was about to take a shot, I'd take a weird double clutch shot to simulate the chance for a 3 point play. I made up the rules and would play out the entire NCAA tournament this way. I was totally fair except for the fact that UNC somehow won every time they played.

My sister and I played baseball games... we'd take a tennis ball into the street and take turns, a half inning was having to field one ground ball, one line drive and one pop up(just thrown by the other) and having to throw it back within 5 seconds if the ball was dropped. No league or anything, but we would go outside and play that constantly.

Once I learned BASIC I wrote a simple text sim to allow me to play duke vs UNC in college basekball. i hard coded the lineups and ratings, and eventually added subs and fatigue I think, very very simplistic though. I tried to do an entire ACC tournament via my game but tracking down all the stats and entering them all in was too tedious.

dice games to simulate the ACC tournament, but prettysimple ones, that I played all the time.

oh and of course the tennis ball on the front porch steps, many games were invented while throwing the ball at the steps, but none were better or more serious than the "run like hell when you miss b/c the ball hitting the aluminum front door really pissed off the parents" game

grdawg
05-28-2004, 03:20 PM
I did the dice thing also, rolling a dice for each inning and playing 9 inning games and keeping standings.

I also used to predict every MLB game, I would cut out the pitching logs each day, circle the team I thought would win, and keep stats on how I did weekly, monthly, overall. I kept all the clippings in a binder, that I still have today. I still predict the games, but now do it in Access (so much easier)

Additionally I used to play MicroLeague Baseball on my Apple IIC, I'd print out all the boxscores and manually prepare leaders pages.

fantastic flying froggies
05-28-2004, 03:26 PM
We really are a bunch of geeks !

I used to 'sim' all major soccer events, in many different ways. I simmed an entire season of french 1st division soccer (all 380 games of it) by kicking a ball against a wall... I played using little lego men. I simmed soccer games using marbles...

I simmed the cycling Tour de France with marbles and dice and plastic cyclers...

I simmed volley ball games banging a hot air balloon against the wall...

I simmed a fictionnal football league throwing and catching a football...

I created a fictionnal basketball league of 12 teams, drafted real players and then played games by myself anywhere I could find a basket...

And I even designed a Pirates game using a ping pong table...

I obviously don't remember all the rules I had for all those games, but those were the days...

JonInMiddleGA
05-28-2004, 03:33 PM
It's always fun to see threads like these pop up amongst sports gamers. And I don't think there's any single thing we share more strongly than these made up games.

Football, baseball, and basketball were most often played with a card game. I have no idea who made them but I must have played those things for something like 15 years. (Naturally you knew what was coming since you recognized the tears, creases, etc. in each card). I ditched the rules for their use (made for 2-player) almost immediately & went to random 1d6 determinations for play selection, shot selection, etc.

I also had several variations of auto-racing with 2d6's, modified by a few house rules to cover accidents, mechanical failure, pit stops & such. Had another auto-racing variant that made use of matchbox cars & a braided rug (had that conversation last week, someone on another forum mentioned what a great oval track braided rugs made) Also had a 2d6 baseball game that pretty much was "my game" for years. I've still got a lot of my notebooks & stuff, a pretty good selection of Street&Smiths/ Sporting News college hoops & football annuals with my results noted on the schedules.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I was probably enjoying it more back then (but even then I had a lot of grognard characteristics, or at the very least, I could have been fairly described as being stat-obsessed).

Desnudo
05-28-2004, 03:38 PM
I luckily had a dad who was in love with technology so always had a computer sitting around, starting with the TI 99 4/A. I also lucked out in that I came of age right when the first Microleague baseball game came out. So I never had to invent anything. I don't think I would have had the willpower to do something like that anyhow.

Easy Mac
05-28-2004, 03:50 PM
This probably didn't count, but I used to try to sim an entire baseball season by thowing a tennis ball against the steps of my house. I'd usually get through 2 or 3 games a day. I'd keep all the stats, records... depending on how the ball bounced. If I caught it on the fly, it was an out, over my head, depended on how far it flew. I think I got through 50 games for each team one season. Needless to say I can't throw a baseball for more than 10 minutes anymore without my arm falling off.

I also did the same thing for Basketball on the basketball goal... but the ball kept hopping the fence and landing in the neighbor's pool.

Maple Leafs
05-28-2004, 04:06 PM
I also had a pretty neat little hockey sim game I could play using only a calculator with a "random" button. It was great during math class. One day a friend caught me and asked what I was doing, so I showed him how it worked. So then he started playing. Pretty soon about a half dozen guys in the class were playing calculator hockey pretty much non-stop. Stunningly, this did not cause all the girls to want us.

I also seem to remember some sort of hockey game played with a digitial stopwatch that involved trying to get it to stop at exactly 1.00 seconds.

Dutch
05-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Holy Cow, this is pretty scary. I thought I was the only one on the planet that made up games like this...

I still have a 35 year NFL universe that I have recorded every single game (massive eraser marks and all!). I made up the schedules, I kept record of the standings, and even added 2 expansion teams (the Richmond Vandals and the Memphis or Nashville something-or-others).

All teams would be rated from 0 to 20 on their strength. Each victory gave them 1 strength point and each loss took away 1 strength point. At the end of the year, it all started over and each team received points based on total number of victories (including playoffs).

The games were played vertically on college-rule notebook paper. Each line represented one cast of a d20 and a d12 dice combo. Roll a 20 and you get a FG, role a 12 and you get a TD, roll a 20 and a 12 and the team received the all coveted 10 points in one block, sometimes a team would come from 10 points down on the last roll of the game...enough to make me cheer and have the folks asking why my homework was making me cheer!

Each score allowed you to fill in two "zero's" into the opponents column (basically taking away 2 scoring chances). So every time a team scored, it was considered their "momentum".

The team strengths altered the generic penalty. If the Pittsburg Steelers had a strength of 17 and they were playing the Dallas Cowboys with a strength of 10, they had a +7 advantage for that game and that meant if the Steelers scored they had a longer run of dice rolls before the Cowboys could roll again. And if they scored enough and in proper sequence, the Cowboys might only get 5 or 10 rolls the entire game while the Steelers would probably get all of theres (I think it was around 30 or 40 rolls at the beginning of the game). I think there were a couple +18 and +19 games played, they were always fun, especially when I added the upstart expansion teams that did not receive break #1....they both started at a strength of "0" and I think they won 2 or 3 games total that year...hehe...

Of course upsets happened all the time, it wasn't perfect, but it did generate quite a few back to back championships and even created teams that were a glutton for punishment at the bottom of the standings.

Of course, my Beloved Buccaneers (the motivation behind the entire thing) only managed to get to one Super Bowl and lost to the San Diego Chargers 38-0......man was I pissed. We were favored....favored! Oh well, anyway, that 35 years of simulation basically ruined me from 7th - 9th grade...

Senator
05-28-2004, 04:39 PM
I made a horse racing game with dice and old programs my dad gave me when we would go to Ruidoso Downs.

We had many acres and most was unmowed. We had these stickers where several grew on a stalk. During spring and summer I would take my football and create a football game where I would throw the ball forward and catch it. If a sticker got in my sock, I was tackled. If two stickers got me, it was incomplete. If no stickers got me, I zig zagged through the mine field until one stuck me.

I played complete seasons of the NFL using Topps football cards. I would line up all 11 on 11 and roll dice to see the results. Then I would enact the play. I have mountains of notebooks keeping records of this. The cards soon became destroyed but luckily I had duplicates of most, so my rookie Walter Payton is still safe and sound. Two of them, actually.

My cousin and I played the complete season of baseball using the back of the cards. He always had the A's and would beat me.

I had an olympic type environment set up around the neighborhood based on age categories. I had several sprinting events and an obstacle course. If a person thought he or she could break a record, we would gather and time it using a stopwatch. This went on for at least a decade, and I still have people email me to see if they still held the record in an event.

I made a dice game using a 20 sided, with the World Class Championship Wrestling people, making a list of moves and belts that was pretty popular among my friends and family. HFP - did you think you were the only one?

I played tennis against a garage door, after reading a Peanuts cartoon, and thought it was a good idea. If I could return the ball 4 times, I got the point. The caveat was I had to hit it harder each time. I was on the honor system. Which, I guess, most these games were.

When I was 12, I thought I could beat the Guiness World Records for situps. I created a press conference with the family, and then began my great assault. I think the record was like 10,000 or something. I don't even know if I got to 500.

I had this little guy that you would pop on the top of his head and he would kick field goals at different lengths. I had a summer where my cousins and I battled for the Tom Dempsey award. We got really good at it.

My cousin and I also would set up shoe boxes at the end of his wooden floor. Then we would set up 100-200 army men in front of them. Then we had 10 marbles each. Whoever knocked the most down, won. It was pretty fun to an 8 year old.

We would use Rock'em Sock'em Robots to re-enact the Ali fights.

I made an olympic events dice game where I had let's say, 10 columns marked off on a piece of paper. Each row had a different guy with a different nationality and name. I would roll the dice and that is how far each guy progressed down the imaginary track. I would do the play by play as it happened.

/Lonely child - but NEVER EVER bored.

Dutch
05-28-2004, 05:39 PM
/Lonely child - but NEVER EVER bored.

Amen, brother!

Scholes
05-28-2004, 05:56 PM
I had Nintendo at a young age... but that just didn't do it for me. To unrealistic. I didn't have a computer so I didn't know of the wonderful things that could be done with them.

I played card hockey... I made a net out of Legos and a large rink surrounded by boxes and set a hockey card of, say, Mike Liut in net so he covered most of it. Then I would put the first two lines out, grab my little tin-foil ball and go to it, shooting and passing the ball with the cards. I made a draft league, which confused me at first I remember because all of the hockey cards had players with different jerseys, but then the teams became familiar. Steve Yzerman, shunned in the first round by Providence, who chose Rick Tocchet instead, was the all-time leading point getter and led his Duluth squad to a bunch of titles. I even made every high-school hockey team in Minnesota (that I knew of, upwards of 100) out of cardboard and played out huge tournaments, with my hometown always "mysteriously" winning.

The only downside to this game was that it destroyed all my hockey cards, including my Mario Lemieux rookie, which had become so flimsy from use that I had to scotch tape around it. I said it was surgery. Oh well.

I also played two full seasons with the Pursue the Pennant boardgame, one with the Giants (88') and one with the Blue Jays (90'). I lost in the league championship series in both. I still do have, however, the scorecards from Will Clark's cycle and Tom Browning's no-hitter against me framed and at my parents' house somewhere.

I love how a lot of us complain about realism in sports games but grew up playing games like these and loving them.

Buccaneer
05-28-2004, 06:19 PM
QS, a quick answer to your question for me would be a resounding YES. My parents might say that was how I spent most of my youth (in my room, with three-binders, cards, dice, stratego pieces, etc.). Come to think of it, nothing has changed. This weekend I'll detail some of the competition I engaged in, some would go back to items not seen since the early 1970s. With my anti-stats bias, I would keep the games simple so I could "watch" the league teams and structures.

Dutch
05-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Bucc - I was the same way. My world had no 1,000 yard rushers or super star quarterbacks. Just franchises that rose to greatness and then collapsed and then rose again. The only stats to speak of were wins, losses, and scores. :)

TLK
05-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Damn....

-Had a full WWF promotion using wrestling cards and the wrestling ring for those big rubber figures.... Always had an equal number of good guys and bad guys. I'll always remember when the NWA put out trading cards and Ric Flair made his WWF debut attacking Hulk Hogan, only to be saved by Hillbilly Jim...

-Ran entire Indycar seasons with a notebook and pencil

-Built a makeshift hockey arena and then had a 6 team draft with all of my hockey cards. Ran a season with many trades and some free agents moves. Also did this with basketball, but it wasn't as fun......

JonInMiddleGA
05-28-2004, 07:43 PM
I even made every high-school hockey team in Minnesota... out of cardboard ...
I'm loving it ... "cardboard fillers", or as I called them "placeholders" were a big part of the baseball card component of my homemade 2d6 game. I recall quite fondly at the moment how tough it was figuring out which rookies would get "carded" into the rosters of my various teams.

I love how a lot of us complain about realism in sports games but grew up playing games like these and loving them.
I'm not sure that we didn't have more realism our way than some of today's games -- after all, we had complete control over them as kids, if something didn't fit "reality", who among us didn't occasionally ... ahem ... "alter" the results. It's amazing how many re-rolls became neccessary sometimes ;)

We had these stickers where several grew on a stalk. During spring and summer I would take my football and create a football game where I would throw the ball forward and catch it. If a sticker got in my sock, I was tackled. If two stickers got me, it was incomplete. If no stickers got me, I zig zagged through the mine field until one stuck me.
I didn't have much room, nor did I have stickers. But the fallen leaves in part of my grandparents yard were would-be tacklers for several college football seasons.

This probably didn't count, but I used to try to sim an entire baseball season by thowing a tennis ball against the steps of my house.
AFAIC, if you were having fun & it was generating sports results in the process ... IT COUNTS !

... but the ball kept hopping the fence and landing in the neighbor's pool.
Umm ... what did she look like? http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

panerd
05-28-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure that we didn't have more realism our way than some of today's games -- after all, we had complete control over them as kids, if something didn't fit "reality", who among us didn't occasionally ... ahem ... "alter" the results. It's amazing how many re-rolls became neccessary sometimes ;)

In 5th and 6th grade me and my buddy used to spend hours a day recreating MLB playing APBA. But instead of ever playing each other we would each simulate a league and then play each other in the world series. I can remember the '84 or '85 season we both had our favorite players (who were not stars at all) His was Howard Johnson of the Tigers and mine was David Anderson of the Dodgers. It was amazing how these mediocore players led the league in basically everything. And when one of us was playing with their favorite team you always knew they were "effecting the outcome", but you never really wanted to know. (Kind of like your college roommate masturbating in the shower :D ) re-rolls, you bet all the time!

panerd
05-28-2004, 10:14 PM
As far as games that we created. Me and my friends made up a wrestling game where we each drafted 10 wrestlers and then they were ranked from 30 to 1. The ranking was how many dice your wrestler got to roll. (about the only thing the board game Liar's dice was ever good for) Whoever had the higher sum got a one higher ranking. (Only if they beat someone with a higher ranking)

I can still remember George the Animal Steele defeating Virgil even though Virgil had like 15 more dice then Steele. "GAS" quickly became a legend and a joke that none of our friends ever understood when we would cheer for him in his squash matches. Other losers in real life who became favorites of ours due to the game were the Conquistadors.

On a side note, isn't it funny how knowledgable we became from these games and how some of the nobodies in real life became our favorite players. I remember Juan Samuel had a 14* in APBA so I knew all about him (height, hometown, nickname) when my uncle took me to a Phillies/Cardinals game. My uncle thought I was like the most knowledgeable kid ever.

kcchief19
05-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Man, I'm so glad to learn after all these years I wasn't abnormal. :)

I was an only child, so most of my activities were geared toward solo play. Like others, I had football, baseball and basketball leagues based around the Nerf ball. My uncle called it YBH -- Yellow Ball Hustle. I would dutifully track statistics from all my games. I had rather intricate rules about how the games were played. I even had a Nerf Olympics.

Another favorite pasttime was to take my football and baseball cards and use them for competions. Sometimes I would create teams, sometimes I would just rank all the players based on their statistics in an effort to determine who was the best player.

I did undertake a couple of efforts at board games and "sims." I created a solo player shopping mall sim where I designed a mall. My most successful game was based on The Prices Right using a deck of cards and the JC Penney catalog. :)

My most bizarre hobby was creating charts and rankings. When I was around 8 or 9, my mom bought me a computer game magazine that had the rankings of the top selling Atari games and most popular arcade games. Disappointed to see my favorites not on top, I decided to create my own rankings. I did video games off and on through the 1980s and I later added pop music, publishing my own charts from around when I was 10 through college. At the peak, I would publish four or five charts a week. At the end of the year, I would tally up all the points based on chart position. When I was much younger, I would also produce an awards show for my family featuring all my favorites.

My future as a journalist was probably sealed in 1980 when I "covered" the Super Bowl between the Eagles and the Raiders. That's the first time I know of where I wrote a news story. I watched the game and wrote a story about it and delivered it to my family immediately after the game -- had to beat those deadlines! Amazingly, I still have that article in my scrapbook.

Dutch
05-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Man, I'm so glad to learn after all these years I wasn't abnormal.

I guess somebody needs to tell you this. We are an abnormal bunch. Sorry, have a beer, it won't hurt so bad. :)

Suicane75
05-28-2004, 11:39 PM
One last one for me. I had the entire AWA set of wrestling figure including many doubles and from 4th to 8th grade I would book an entire federation on paper and then wrestle the matches, I still vividly remember the upset of Jimmy Garvin shcoking Terry Gordy to win the world title only to lose it back the next month. I had the Road Warriors chase the team of Steve Regal & Ric Flair (The Electric Dream Team) for 2 years before finaly winning the tag belts in a blood cage match. I would do most of the matches in me bedroom but when I relized that with the generic figures I could make them be anyone I wanted I held a super card that saw Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson & Barry Windham join Ric Flair, as well as the debut of The Hart Foundation & The British Bulldogs, I put the ring in the center of my yard and made a little cart that i attached to the end of a remote controled car and had them driven into the "stadium", I had theme music for everyone that I would play on my boombox as they arrived. I would sit in 8th grade match class writing out the cards and booking future storylines, it's no wonder i didn't do very well.

vex
05-28-2004, 11:44 PM
There was a "pro" basketball game on the NES, before Bulls vs. Blazers and such. All I remember about it was that there was a team named the Chicago Zephers and it was actually kind of difficult.

Anyways, I would create an entire 82 game schedule on paper and play all of the Zephers games out. Even had a playoffs:)

I loved basketball when I was younger and since my dad is a pastor, I had a full court basketball court to myself at the church. I would bring my basketball cards out and play 9 vs. 9, by myself, using the players on the cards. On one sheet of nine would be the Knicks with Vandeweigh, Oakley, Starks, Mason, Ewing, etc, the Bulls would have Jordan, Pippen, Paxon, Cartwright and whoever the other guy was at the time. I would go fullcourt, and as someone else said, would time myself, I even had an imaginary shotclock. Ah, the days.

Dutch
05-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Oh yeah, I would play out full seasons using the Super Bowl Sunday game on the C64.

Then I went overboard when NFL Challenge came out on the PC back in 1987 or was it 88? Maybe 89, anyway...I updated every single roster by hand. It was a labor of love!

Of course, the lousy Buccaneers went 15-1 and both running backs (I think they were Reggie Cobb and an ex-Packer both had 1,500 yard rushing in the same season!)

Mota
05-29-2004, 12:05 AM
At the age of 14 I wrote a wrestling "dice" game. I even wrote myself into the game, being the only wrestler ever to win the AWA, WCW and WWF titles! (go figure)

By the time I got to grade 11 at high school, we had a small army of people with their characters in the game and we started a fictional league with all our characters. I think we played about 50 shows (still have the binders of course) at school and on weekends during high school.

During college many of us still got together every Monday night at a local comic book shop and played the game for 3 hours. We had up to 10 people playing every week, and this went on for 2 years until I moved out of town. It got pretty serious at one point, and after the night's action I would carefully put together the next week's lineup, posting it at the store if I made it there early, so everybody could get pumped up about their next week's matches. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play the game since I moved (9 years ago), but then I got involved in the world of e-wrestling so it kinda replaced my rules set.

In e-wrestling you have thousands of players in hundreds of leagues across the net, all intertwined through the e-wrestling newsgroup. Your success is judged by the quality of your "interviews" (which you type out), and the storylines you come up with the other players, as judged by the federation owner. It ends up being exactly like real pro wrestling, the top ranked guys win the titles, and in a good league it is a real interesting read. It's funny to see how a "star system" forms, and the top ranked leagues' stars reputations extend into many other leagues. At it's worst it is also like pro wrestling, full of cliques, partiality, bickering between players and leagues closing down.

Suicane75
05-29-2004, 12:26 AM
At the age of 14 I wrote a wrestling "dice" game. I even wrote myself into the game, being the only wrestler ever to win the AWA, WCW and WWF titles! (go figure)

By the time I got to grade 11 at high school, we had a small army of people with their characters in the game and we started a fictional league with all our characters. I think we played about 50 shows (still have the binders of course) at school and on weekends during high school.

During college many of us still got together every Monday night at a local comic book shop and played the game for 3 hours. We had up to 10 people playing every week, and this went on for 2 years until I moved out of town. It got pretty serious at one point, and after the night's action I would carefully put together the next week's lineup, posting it at the store if I made it there early, so everybody could get pumped up about their next week's matches. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play the game since I moved (9 years ago), but then I got involved in the world of e-wrestling so it kinda replaced my rules set.

In e-wrestling you have thousands of players in hundreds of leagues across the net, all intertwined through the e-wrestling newsgroup. Your success is judged by the quality of your "interviews" (which you type out), and the storylines you come up with the other players, as judged by the federation owner. It ends up being exactly like real pro wrestling, the top ranked guys win the titles, and in a good league it is a real interesting read. It's funny to see how a "star system" forms, and the top ranked leagues' stars reputations extend into many other leagues. At it's worst it is also like pro wrestling, full of cliques, partiality, bickering between players and leagues closing down.

When i first got internet access I played in EFeds all the time. In fact i wrote for a friend of mine, I would generate the matches in TNM and then go and edit them to get a better flow, i love doing that, but alas i got burned out on the politics of most of them, ironic.

lighthousekeeper
05-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Well this thread certainly fills me with chills, not so much because I now see what I wasn't able to see as a kid (that there were other lonely kids out there coping with lonliness in the same way), but at the eerie similarities between what has been repeatedly posted here and what I've done...in particular:

-the random button on a calculator: When I learned about that, I was set for a long time in baseball simming heaven. That was the button that my adolesent mind was yearning for so strongly.

-pages and pages of college ruled spiral notebooks (why always college ruled?)

-tennis ball thrown against the steps turning into a Major League Sim

...but the one that really gave me chills...

...Quick's M&M game. I swear I played that exact same game, complete with the same motivation that Quick alluded to. Played it many many times. It's so darmn eerie, because it's such an odd, random, unnecesasry diversion. I would never have imagined that someone else would partake in such an innane activity. Also, I would never have remembered doing it, until Quick mentioned it. But it makes me feel good that someone else out there did the same thing.

You realize that we're all borderline autistic, right?

sabotai
05-29-2004, 01:11 AM
There was a "pro" basketball game on the NES, before Bulls vs. Blazers and such. All I remember about it was that there was a team named the Chicago Zephers and it was actually kind of difficult.

Now I feel old. Someone said "before Bulls vs. Blazers" to describe a really old video game...to me, Lakers vs Celtics was the old one (or Dr J. vs. Larry Bird).

Anyway, I remember that game I think, but I can't remember the name of it...Chicago Zephyrs were a real basketball team (who are now currently called the Washington Wizards, and before they were called the Zephyers, they are the Packers).

I just searched through my collection of NES roms. The game was call All-Pro Basketball.

vex
05-29-2004, 01:17 AM
Now I feel old. Someone said "before Bulls vs. Blazers" to describe a really old video game...to me, Lakers vs Celtics was the old one (or Dr J. vs. Larry Bird).

Anyway, I remember that game I think, but I can't remember the name of it...Chicago Zephyrs were a real basketball team (who are now currently called the Washington Wizards, and before they were called the Zephyers, they are the Packers).

I just searched through my collection of NES roms. The game was call All-Pro Basketball.

Well that was what, '92? I was in I think 3rd grade, maybe second:)

Yep, All-Pro Basketball:)

sabotai
05-29-2004, 01:25 AM
3rd grade in 92? Now I do feel old! I was starting high school in 92 (And I just made someone else feel old.) :)

fantastic flying froggies
05-29-2004, 07:28 AM
You realize that we're all borderline autistic, right?
I think you just summarized FOFC in 1 sentence...

JonInMiddleGA
05-29-2004, 08:22 AM
-pages and pages of college ruled spiral notebooks (why always college ruled?)
I hadn't picked up on that in the thread, but you're very right.
And I suspect I know why.

College ruled had more lines per page than standard ruled.
Which meant we could cram more stuff onto a single sheet.

Well, at least that's why I always used 'em.

Now I wonder ... do we have a group tendency toward smaller, cramped writing styles today?

JonInMiddleGA
05-29-2004, 08:23 AM
3rd grade in 92? Now I do feel old! I was starting high school in 92 (And I just made someone else feel old.) :)
Grrrrrrrrr.

Sincerely,
Jon - PHS Class of '84

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Celeval
03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Can I just ditto all of this?

Aside from the games with baseball cards and the like, we kept statistics for summer Monopoly leagues, as well as multi-season leagues of "SockBall", involving a block of wood as a bat, rolled up socks wrapped in electrical tape as balls, and a small basement with a low ceiling.

Alf
03-09-2006, 04:46 AM
I have to post here of course (missed it the first time).

I created a multi League European Soccer competion (running 1 division for 16 euro countries), and then making them play in European competitions. All this was dully noted on a text book which I stumbled upon a few weeks ago when moving boxes at home.

I was also guilty for running several Formula 1 Leagues (both with pen and dice), and also with real miniature cars and "billes" to move the cars.

Last one I remember was a BasketBall game I was playing while I was in the US (94).

Guess that finding guys playing text sims was an obvious ending for me :)

PS : it all started when I found the first Championship Manager on Amstrad in the early 80s. I made my own version of this game for Atari (wow, memories).

QuikSand
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
*chuckles*

Young Drachma
10-13-2011, 12:46 PM
I used to do pen and paper baseball leagues with invented stats. It wasn't until BBPro Series that I was able to finally get rid of all of my paper. My best friend and I had countries too and we'd sit and create the stock markets, run campaigns, radio shows and so forth. (and record these things on cassette, of course) and all of the other intricate details for weeks and years on end.

When I was visiting for a few weeks this summer, I sent him to his basement for hours because he was looking for the notebooks he'd written of his old country stuff that he'd kept moving with him from home to his own house as a grown up. He enjoyed the flashback and yeah...this thread is a good flashback of "no, you weren't the only dork doing that."

Good stuff.

Ksyrup
10-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Did anyone out there just sort of "invent" your own kind of competitions, just as a way of generating the stuff we love -- winners and losers, standings, records, stats, and so forth?

My answer to the question is yes. I will say no more on the grounds that it might incriminate me (in the court of FOFC, in any event).

Passacaglia
10-13-2011, 12:55 PM
This probably didn't count, but I used to try to sim an entire baseball season by thowing a tennis ball against the steps of my house. I'd usually get through 2 or 3 games a day. I'd keep all the stats, records... depending on how the ball bounced. If I caught it on the fly, it was an out, over my head, depended on how far it flew. I think I got through 50 games for each team one season. Needless to say I can't throw a baseball for more than 10 minutes anymore without my arm falling off.

I also did the same thing for Basketball on the basketball goal... but the ball kept hopping the fence and landing in the neighbor's pool.

I did almost exactly the same thing, except it was against the wall of our garage. Caught was an out, otherwise each bounce was worth one base. I wore down the grass in my throwing spot doing that.

I also had a football league, where I'd roll 4d6 for each team for each quarter, and if the result was something reasonable to score in a quarter (7, 10, 14, 17, 21, or 24), the team scored that many points in that quarter, otherwise zero.

So now that computers and video games are all over the place, do our kids have any chance of doing stuff like this?

JonInMiddleGA
10-13-2011, 01:01 PM
So now that computers and video games are all over the place, do our kids have any chance of doing stuff like this?

Only if we work at it I think.

I introduced mine to (professionally done) dice & chart games at a very early age so that he could pick up on the basics. We developed our own tweaks to those, which led to making sure he was kept in the loop when I was working on a game of my own at one point. Have had numerous discussions about design related issues that come up with games, how they compare to other design choices, etc. And from all of that, from time to time, I discover that he's worked out some variant to some of the d&c games he still plays when the mood strikes.

On their own? I'd say the number who would do it would be much smaller than a generation or two earlier. We didn't have a lot of choices, today's kids do.

Ksyrup
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Actually, I just thought of one I can talk about. Kinda odd and random, but whatever.

This was back in law school. This story could probably go off-track fairly easily, but suffice to say, 97% of our law school class was young 20-somethings, while the rest were older. Some were embarking on second careers. Among them was this 50ish woman who used to wheel around a briefcase from class to class. The typical know-it-all, but in the body of a middle-aged mother. Oh, and a diehard Cowboys fan, too. It was a glorious combination, I can assure you. Condescending, acted like law school was a piece of cake and everyone would be choking on her fumes while she left us in the rear view mirror.

Eventually, she would end up stealing exam questions, get turned in by a professor's assistant who saw her do it, take out a hitman to kill the assistant and her husband, and get arrested for attempted murder (queue the off-track stuff...). But this pre-dates that.

Anyway, so in law school there's a lot of questioning the students - the so-called Socratic Merthod - where participation is encouraged, if not demanded. I had a tax class with this bitch, and holy shit, she would talk at any opportunity she could get, to prove to the professor and everyone else that she was so fucking smart. Often, it was to prove she was smarter than the professor. Eventually, a couple of friends and I got so bored during class that we started what was eventually known as Plachy Football. Basically, we each took turns evaluating each time she spoke and converting it into a "carry." So, if she waxed poetic on something for a couple of minutes, she gained 12 yards. If she gave a short answer, maybe 3 yards. If she was (God Forbid) wrong about something, -3. At the end of class, we'd add them all up and figure out how good a game she had - 16 carries, 122 yards and a TD (TDs were assigned either for a particularly longwinded discussion, or after so many yards), for example. Then we'd keep track of her "season" and add up her stats at the end of a 16 game run.

But all that kinda came to an end when she, uh, you know, tried to have people killed.

Fidatelo
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Like lots of you guys, in the summers my brother and I created games based on sports and dice. Well, my brother did most of the creating, but I did tonnes of playing.

My favorite was a dice hockey game that I still play once in awhile (and keep intending to create as a web or mobile based game). But basically you created a league of 20 players, then split a season into 4 quarters. Each quarter you rolled 2 20-sided dice for each player, 1 represented goals and the other assists.

At the end of the year you would get semi-realistic season totals for each player. I'd create little boxes to highlight the top 5 in goals, assists, and points. Then I'd usually retire the lowest 3-5 scorers and add new players into the league. After every 5th season I'd create boxes for the top 5 in goals, assists, and points over the 5 season span. It was always a blast to see how many seasons you could play with someone still around from season 1 (never having been retired due to poor performance).

Radii
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I love this thread. I went back and read my old post and brought back a bunch of memories and love seeing that so many other people here did similar things.

Warhammer
10-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Only if we work at it I think.

I introduced mine to (professionally done) dice & chart games at a very early age so that he could pick up on the basics. We developed our own tweaks to those, which led to making sure he was kept in the loop when I was working on a game of my own at one point. Have had numerous discussions about design related issues that come up with games, how they compare to other design choices, etc. And from all of that, from time to time, I discover that he's worked out some variant to some of the d&c games he still plays when the mood strikes.

On their own? I'd say the number who would do it would be much smaller than a generation or two earlier. We didn't have a lot of choices, today's kids do.

My 9 year old made a game last year based upon Adv. Squad Leader called Robots & Infantry. The game had different nations and ROBOTS! He made different maps with terrain and hand cut units. Each nationality had its own quirks. The robots had different abilities as well. The only thing my wife and I had to contribute was the need for a rule sheet. So he got on Word and banged one out.

He entered it in a local convention game design contest. While simple, the rule set was more complete than many of the other games. The only problem was he got discouraged due to the polish some of the other games had.

larrymcg421
10-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I ran a dice based football simulation league back in junior high. Management aspects were mostly non-existent, but I had lists of percentages for people to decide when to run/pass and who should get the ball, etc. I kept up with season long stats and even wrote a Sporting News type journal for the league ("Baker Bakes Boston" being my favorite headline). I ran the league for a few years, but I moved alot so it was hard to keep long term continuity.

digamma
10-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I was awesome at that game, mostly because the management aspects were non-existent.

Buccaneer
10-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Someone at CivFanatics called me a digital hoarder when I mentioned that I have kept logs of every single Civ game I have played since 1998 (not to mention other strategy games and every text sims as well). When I was a kid, I had a bookshelf full of 3-ring binders from games I made up. Nothing has changed, I still have dozens of 3-ring binders from games.

dzilla77
10-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Didn't see this the first time around, but when I was a kid I had one of those vibrating football games. I used to keep offensive stats for all the games I played solitaire.

I also used baseball cards to playout baseball games with percentile dice determining whether or not the batters got hits, etc. I had a method for determining extra base hits.

In the 90's while prepping for a fantasy hockey draft, I stumbled on a play by mail hockey sim called Alphasim. They eventually sold it to somebody and it died. I failed to discover these computer sims until around 2005. I could have wasted some serious time if I had found these things earlier.

bob
10-13-2011, 07:53 PM
I had an entire college football universe around the Wheaties football game on the back of the box when Joe Montana was on the cover. As much as I hated them, Tennessee seemed to always win. It was a sad day when the cardboard thing that flung the football at the box broke.

Pyser
10-13-2011, 08:44 PM
love this thread. i played lots of football seasons based on football cards. would buy the entire year from tops, spread them out in formation, and run entire games.

played a similar game to quik's football team pencils. just simply ran an ncaa tournament based on the real teams at the time. my ny giants bias came into play some, but i was always amazed how different teams would win every time just based on the seeding.

when people talk about dying and heaven, they always say they want their relatives there, everything to be all white, etc, etc. you know what i want? a giant book with stats about how i spent my entire life. how long i slept. sat at a red light. how many times i said "what". how much money i lost in change. i want it all. and that would be my heaven.

lighthousekeeper
10-13-2011, 08:58 PM
when people talk about dying and heaven, they always say they want their relatives there, everything to be all white, etc, etc. you know what i want? a giant book with stats about how i spent my entire life. how long i slept. sat at a red light. how many times i said "what". how much money i lost in change. i want it all. and that would be my heaven.

amen

sovereignstar v2
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
I have fond memories of playing out NCAA tournament games against myself in Nerf hoops. I'd never get very far (63 games hello!), but I did keeps stats. Jamal Mashburn used to rip shit up!

I got this talking football game (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18583/superstar-lineup-talking-football) when I was 9 or 10. A couple years later I bought a fantasy football guide and divvied out players to 8 different teams. If a team got the top QB they'd get the worst WR and an average RB. I proceeded to play games against the computer taking control of random teams and keeping tracks of all the stats I could. Of course the actual game only had the AFC and NFC All-Pro teams...

I was importing rosters into Earl Weaver Baseball by age 12. Then came Football Pro and Baseball Pro. 'Nuff said.

britrock88
10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Actually, I just thought of one I can talk about. Kinda odd and random, but whatever.

This was back in law school. This story could probably go off-track fairly easily, but suffice to say, 97% of our law school class was young 20-somethings, while the rest were older. Some were embarking on second careers. Among them was this 50ish woman who used to wheel around a briefcase from class to class. The typical know-it-all, but in the body of a middle-aged mother. Oh, and a diehard Cowboys fan, too. It was a glorious combination, I can assure you. Condescending, acted like law school was a piece of cake and everyone would be choking on her fumes while she left us in the rear view mirror.

Eventually, she would end up stealing exam questions, get turned in by a professor's assistant who saw her do it, take out a hitman to kill the assistant and her husband, and get arrested for attempted murder (queue the off-track stuff...). But this pre-dates that.

Anyway, so in law school there's a lot of questioning the students - the so-called Socratic Merthod - where participation is encouraged, if not demanded. I had a tax class with this bitch, and holy shit, she would talk at any opportunity she could get, to prove to the professor and everyone else that she was so fucking smart. Often, it was to prove she was smarter than the professor. Eventually, a couple of friends and I got so bored during class that we started what was eventually known as Plachy Football. Basically, we each took turns evaluating each time she spoke and converting it into a "carry." So, if she waxed poetic on something for a couple of minutes, she gained 12 yards. If she gave a short answer, maybe 3 yards. If she was (God Forbid) wrong about something, -3. At the end of class, we'd add them all up and figure out how good a game she had - 16 carries, 122 yards and a TD (TDs were assigned either for a particularly longwinded discussion, or after so many yards), for example. Then we'd keep track of her "season" and add up her stats at the end of a 16 game run.

But all that kinda came to an end when she, uh, you know, tried to have people killed.

Wow, I would have LOVED this during 1L year.

The competition I remember most vividly took place every summer at the pool. Me and a couple friends bought some big foam noodles and concocted a kind of fencing game where you had to touch the guy with the end of the noodle while also "sitting" on the back end of your noodle (realistically, holding it between the legs). Made for a fun physical challenge in a pool. We played first-to-7, so we were able to keep points for/against while also keeping records over the summer.

The other great pastime was a game called floor hockey, which involved a soft rubber ball the size of a ping-pong ball. It basically worked like one-on-one hockey -- two players would lie down across their own goalmouths and try to roll/skip the ball past the other guy. Got lots of carpet burns in that one... it was also pretty tiring since we played every game to 21. Standings were kept and playoffs were held, of course. Eventually, we grew to the point that we couldn't find a set of goalmouths in my friend's house that we couldn't completely cover.

Ooh, one last one. A friend (also involved in floor hockey) had NHL2K for the Dreamcast. That game had secret, 99-overall developers' teams. We'd play as those... with the goalies pulled. We must have played about 150 times, keeping up with the series and perhaps the total goals scored, which was no small feat when game scores were something like 90-85.

Buccaneer
10-13-2011, 09:39 PM
The other great pastime was a game called floor hockey, which involved a soft rubber ball the size of a ping-pong ball. It basically worked like one-on-one hockey -- two players would lie down across their own goalmouths and try to roll/skip the ball past the other guy.

My god, that brings back memories of 5th or 6th grade. We had most of the boys in my class in a NHL-like league and used one end of the classroom (where the low cabinets were) that had a natural goal at both end. We used an electric tape roll since that glided easily along the non-carpeted floor and looked/acted like a hockey puck. I think we had a small block of wood that acted like a goalie stick and we crouched down like one.

TroyF
10-13-2011, 11:37 PM
I can't tell you how good this thread makes me feel.

Remember the mini basketball hoops you could hang on your door? I used to get the sporting news and I would play a tournaments with the top 40 teams every week. I'd have shooting contests to determine the winner. (I would try like hell to not play favorites and remember being so mad if Georgetown won in the finals) The lower teams would get handicaps thrown at them. For teams below 35 through 40, I would shoot sitting down. Teams 30-34 I would shoot from one knee. I would only shoot standing up with follow through if it were the top ten.

Throwing a tennis ball off the wall as hard as I could took care of baseball games. When I was just sitting, it would be games like Pursue the Pennant board game that I would play. I printed out scorecards and would score each game. I don't care what the sport was, I would find a way to make a game of it. Xor NFL football for the PC was my game of choice on the PC. I could play that for hours and hours.

Whenever I play FOF or FM or Wolverine games or anything and get frustrated by something, I think back to those days. The reality is if I hadn't found games like this, I'd have been a 39 year old replaying seasons with dice or something of the sort.

I don't feel so alone now

DaddyTorgo
10-13-2011, 11:47 PM
The APBA computer game (for DOS) was the fucking shits.

Coffee Warlord
10-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Ahh yes, my pen and paper (lots and lots and lots of paper) Hawaii Islanders of the NL West had many prosperous years under my expert management. Hell, I had their entire corporate structure mapped out (for several seasons they were owned by Upper Deck, I forgot who "bought them" in later years), I drew stadiums, logos, had their minor league affiliates, the whole schabang. Played out seasons with a d6, as I recall.

And it was fun later on when we started getting computer games that you could change player names on...they moved straight into the digital world.

JPhillips
10-14-2011, 08:57 AM
I don't at all remember the mechanics, but when I was probably mid-elementary age I had a game where I laid out baseball cards at the players' positions and used a mini-bowling set to determine hits/outs. I'd separate the cards into positions and draw random teams. For some reason it was really important to me to actually lay out the cards to make it look more like a real baseball game.

I'm pretty sure I cheated to make my favorite players perform better.

JonInMiddleGA
10-14-2011, 09:10 AM
I'd have been a 39 year old replaying seasons with dice or something of the sort.

Not that there's anything wrong with that

{looks at a four door cabinet filled with too neglected but not entirely ignored d&c sports cabinet}

JonInMiddleGA
10-14-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm pretty sure I cheated to make my favorite players perform better.

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'

Butter
10-14-2011, 10:59 AM
I have fond memories of playing out NCAA tournament games against myself in Nerf hoops. I'd never get very far (63 games hello!), but I did keeps stats. Jamal Mashburn used to rip shit up!

Yes. I used to do this same thing. Although I would simulate whole seasons of the Dayton Flyers, but then when we got to the tournament, I would always play out many games of the entire thing. With full 20 minute halves. And I had string in my room that noted the free throw line and 3 point lines.

I remember one year I put UD in the tourney as a #1 seed because they went something like 29-2 that year. But then I couldn't make shit for them in the game I played (by myself) in the first round. It all came down to 5 seconds left, UD was down 50-49... I vowed to myself I was only giving myself one shot to make this free throw fadeaway jumper, and if I didn't make it, so be it. I simulated the pass, faded away from the FT line... CLANK.

I punished the team that beat UD by calling about 72 fouls in the next game against them. You don't just walk into my bedroom and beat the #1 Dayton Flyers, dammit! :D

Suicane75
10-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Gosh, I wasn't even thinking of solo nerf basketball or football when this thread first came up.

I must have played countless basketball games playing as both teams. Most of the time I'd just skip to the final 10 minutes. Other times I would pretend I was the Sixers and we'd just made a bunch of absurd trades (1st round pick for Magic Johnson) and I'd play out games with Barkley and Magic on the same team.

But man, football was my thing. I loved playing out entire games by myself, running up and down my grandmothers yard, I had the Doug Flutie flag football playset that had little plastic cones for yard markers I would use. I had a tether ball pole and a bush that I used as the goal posts for when i needed to kick field goals or extra points. I think most of the games that I played came down to me needing to kick a FG from as deep in the yard as I could get. And I don't mean I gingerly tossed the ball to myself or ran and then stopped, no, I fucking went down on every play. Sprint to the outside and get ankle tackled? I would hurl myself down. Get popped over the middle? I would jolt myself back first down on the ground. I'm sure I looked like a bit of a mental case. Hell I even played a lot of the games in my thermal underwear cause they looked the most like uniform pants.

Suicane75
10-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Dola, someone mentioned the throwing the ball against the wall game. I'd do that as well, pick two teams and throw the ball against the wall and progress through an entire game. Grounder to short, hot shot to third, oooh, that one went through for a single.

Pretty much played that same game with friends instead of a wall. One of us would be the thrower and the other the fielder. Throw a ball to his left or right, if he fields it and throws it back in normal time it's an out (The thrower always did running pbp). If you threw it over his head and he didn't catch it in the air it'd be something like "High fly ball, over Jeff Stones head, ooh McGee is going for third, trying to stretch it into a triple!!" Good times.

Ksyrup
10-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Wasn't really a stats game, but along those lines, my old roommate and I used to play a game called "Break the Window" in law school. We had a sliding glass door leading out to a porch at our apartment, and we'd take turns throwing a football from about 10 feet away as hard as we could at the window, and the other person would have to catch it before it hit the window.

MIJB#19
10-15-2011, 06:00 PM
*chuckles*M&Ms for lunch this week?

Bradley
10-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Great thread, brings back tons of memories.

Growing up in Arizona, my summer vacations consisted of playing outside or swimming in the mornings and evenings, and being stuck inside mostly during the 105-110 degree afternoons. Here's a few of the weird games I came up with:

I had a book with the box scores of every NFL game for one season, probably 1978 or 1979. I created entire careers where I was the star by taking a random game each week of the season and recording the stats of the chosen position I played (RB, QB, WR, sometimes a K or P). I would track the stats for entire seasons and careers. Sometimes I would get traded or cut based on performance. I added in modifiers or themes (highest scoring team of the week, losing team with the most points, etc). It was real hard not to cheat and choose the best performances.

I also had a game with those wonderful NFL pencils. This one was done at school on those desks where the top opened up to keep your books and stuff. The top was angled down toward the seat, and I used gravity to set up two-team (pencil) matchups where each would roll down the desk top and "attempt" to break the tackle of the opponent pencil which was set up perpendicular to the rolling pencil. I kept full stats and standings. My teacher must have thought I was insane. My Raiders pencil (as Mark van Eeghen) was unstoppable of course!

I had a ball-against-the-wall game as well. Mine was a superball against the side of the house in the back yard. The crazy bounce of the superball was awesome for this baseball simulation. Occasionally the ball would fly over the fence for epic home runs or game saving catches against the wall. That was a blast.

I also had a version of that nerf hoop game too that easily transitioned outside to the real hoop when desired. I spent many hours as Walter Davis (Phoenix Suns) swishing shots over imagined opponents. Full stats were tracked of course.

I had a football game on the school bus where I would use a book to simulate the scores of a game by quarter based upon the last number of a randomly turned page. Add up the quarters and you have final scores, wins and losses, standings and championships! What a goofball.

Lots of others too, but if you have ready this far I won't bore you any further. Discovering APBA in 1981 and the family purchase of an IBM PC jr (and XOR Football, APBA DOS Baseball, etc) changed everything of course.

Great thread. My parents would have been very encouraged to know at the time that I wasn't the only kid on the planet spending entire weekends in their room pouring over tiny numbers on volumes of college ruled paper!

Dutch
10-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Lots of others too, but if you have ready this far I won't bore you any further.
Discovering APBA in 1981 and the family purchase of an IBM PC jr (and XOR
Football, APBA DOS Baseball, etc) changed everything of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_YEq5nkio

I have never successfully embedded a video at FOFC...so here's the link. :)

Bradley
10-16-2011, 09:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_YEq5nkio

I have never successfully embedded a video at FOFC...so here's the link. :)

That's awesome, thanks for the link! I remember editing the rosters in Word Perfect to make the rosters and ratings more accurate, one character out of place and it wouldn't load.

I still have the game in excellent condition in the garage. 5.25" inch floppies - it's a whole new world now...

digamma
06-05-2012, 07:29 PM
He is my son!

On vacation last week, we got my son a ball for playing the pool. Surrounding the pool they had tiki torches, set up two by two, in a V shape. I'll be damned if the little guy doesn't start trying to throw his pool ball in between the two torches like a field goal. Match box car race leagues and the like are only just around the corner.

Radii
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
That's awesome digamma :)

QuikSand
07-22-2022, 03:33 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wife has a box of school memories: letters, notes about boys she fancied, who fancied her, etc. She asked if I had one. &quot;Lost&quot;, I replied. In reality, mine has hundreds of handwritten scorecards from an imaginary cricket universe in which I was the leading test match all-rounder.</p>&mdash; Fesshole �� (@fesshole) <a href="https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1550577681737158657?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 22, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

QuikSand
08-03-2022, 11:21 AM
As I write, my 9yo son is downstairs rolling hot wheels cars into one another one some book-and-plank contraption, and then writing down "scores" in some sort of football game arising from what happens to the cars. The Rams are winning, last I heard.

You love to see it.

tarcone
08-03-2022, 09:51 PM
I would take all my hot wheels and have one-on-one demolition derbies to determine the king of my hot wheels. I chose 2 cars and ran them into each other head on and who stayed on their wheels advanced.

We used to draw islands and bridges and then have a war. Each side got a BS, a tank, a helo, a plane and a sub i believe. Each had their own MPs and you moved by drawing dashes with a pencil. To shoot you put your finger on the eraser and flicked the pencil led down at an enemy.

thesloppy
08-03-2022, 10:15 PM
I still get my hotwheels fix, regularly watching a dude race tournaments on youtube, with fake motor sounds and everything. It's great!

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OsDUNeUGXl8" title="YouTube video player" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>