PDA

View Full Version : OT: Friendster.com

Hurst2112
06-30-2004, 02:51 PM
My brother in law showed me this site. It's pretty cool, but it is still in beta. It's basically a frieds 'degree of separation' site which helps you keep contact with people.

It would be cool to see some folks here sign up, and possibly get a ring of friends going.

Once you sign up, feel free to add me as a friend. Just search the friendsters users and type in [email protected]

rock on!

MrBug708
06-30-2004, 02:56 PM
If you wanna see alot of Hot Indian girls that Neuq could never get, you should add him

AnalBumCover
06-30-2004, 04:21 PM
My brother in law showed me this site. It's pretty cool, but it is still in beta. It's basically a frieds 'degree of separation' site which helps you keep contact with people.

It would be cool to see some folks here sign up, and possibly get a ring of friends going.

Once you sign up, feel free to add me as a friend. Just search the friendsters users and type in [email protected]

rock on!Friendster is so 2003. It's all about myspace.com now. :rolleyes:

korme
06-30-2004, 04:23 PM
If you wanna see alot of Hot Indian girls that Neuq could never get, you should add him
it's because his camel has only one hump and not two

Hurst2112
06-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Friendster is so 2003. It's all about myspace.com now. :rolleyes:

I don't know if I should say 'sorry' for not knowing this, or call you a dork for revealing this information.

Either way, you can find me on myspace.com as well.

AnalBumCover
06-30-2004, 04:31 PM
I don't know if I should say 'sorry' for not knowing this, or call you a dork for revealing this information.

Either way, you can find me on myspace.com as well.:D

How about create a blog on xanga or blogspot while you're at it? :p

korme
06-30-2004, 04:36 PM
:D

livejournal perhaps

Hurst2112
06-30-2004, 04:49 PM
:D

I thought about it, but then I realized that my wife might see a guy named analbumcover on my friends list and might think that I am gay. I don't need that drama in my life at this point.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway. I appreciate you trying to help out.

;)

AnalBumCover
06-30-2004, 05:04 PM
I thought about it, but then I realized that my wife might see a guy named analbumcover on my friends list and might think that I am gay. I don't need that drama in my life at this point.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway. I appreciate you trying to help out.

;)It's An Album Cover! :D

Hurst2112
06-30-2004, 05:25 PM
SSSSSUUUUUUURRRRRREEEEEE. :D

(I am hip to SNL celeb Jeopardy)

hukarez
06-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Whew.

I thought I was the only one from here using myspace and friendster for amusement purposes! :p

thesloppy
07-01-2004, 08:28 PM
myspace seriously weirds me out....a friend dragged me on there like a month ago and although I am a dedicated lurker, yet I alway come away feeling like I stepped out of the adult video section, and I need to wash my hands. Myspace has had a Richard-Dreyfus-in-Close-Encounters kind of effect on me, except I'm not drawn to sculpting mashed potatoes, instead I spend all my spare time working out my abs, ricing out my '96 Integra, collecting trucker hats and taking drunken group pictures at nightclubs.

wade moore
01-11-2005, 08:33 AM
hrmm.. just signed up for friendster... interesting so far, finding some long lost friends.... i have issues with the search engine though..

I guess I should try myspace also..

If you want to add me:

wademoore AT gmail.com

Logan
01-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Friendster is so 2003. It's all about myspace.com now. :rolleyes:

Pssshhh...

thefacebook.com

But I guess that's just for us cool college kids.

mckerney
01-11-2005, 05:29 PM

True dat.

:p

samifan24
01-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Pssshhh...

thefacebook.com

Well, actually, my school has some crappy facebook*. My friends at UConn and Providence can't search for me, but I have plenty of people from my school and several other schools who are in both. Looks like we got jipped.

edit- *by crappy I mean it's the smaller of the two college facebooks.

MacroGuru
01-11-2005, 07:43 PM
On networking site I have been using is linkedin.com it helps in the networking realm if you are unemployed or are looking to move on to another company.

JonInMiddleGA
04-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Friendster rethinks site, will nuke users' info - Computerworld (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216193/Friendster_rethinks_site_will_nuke_users_info)

If you have any pictures on Friendster you want to keep, you had better grab them now.

The social networking pioneer, which has fallen to second-rate status in a world where Facebook and Twitter dominate, announced on Tuesday that it's making some significant changes to the site.

Friendster sent an email to users and posted some information on its site today, noting that it's working on launching a "new and improved" site in coming weeks that won't include all the data users have stored there.

That means users' accounts will not be deleted but their messages, blogs and photos will all be disappearing. Users have until May 31 to retrieve anything they want to keep.

JonInMiddleGA
04-26-2011, 08:25 PM
And now that the thread has been zombified, I thought the comments about "thefacebook" were pretty interesting to see 6 years later.

Radii
04-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Seven years later on thefacebook(!!) this is as true as ever.

Logan
04-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Pssshhh...

thefacebook.com

When I posted this I was on winter break of my senior year of college.

Good lord time moves quickly.

Swaggs
04-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Pssshhh...

thefacebook.com

This is pretty funny after seeing the movie. :)

(and because you were still in college) ;)

cartman
04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I always thought that Friendster had the Asia market sewn up.

JonInMiddleGA
04-26-2011, 09:33 PM

About 90% of their remaining traffic was in Asia, but monetizing social media there has proven to be fairly challenging. Apparently the one thing that's worked well has been the "virtual gifts" model, with subscription-based services doing well with gaming microtransactions/fees. Ad sales have generally been a non-factor in Asia thus far, they simply don't work very well.

jeff061
04-26-2011, 09:37 PM
This thread deserved a bumping even without topical anecdotes.

JonInMiddleGA
04-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Almost dola here but I found a lengthy 2007 article from Inc. magazine (http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070601/features-how-to-kill-a-great-idea.html) that mentions how this was actually one of Friendster's many problems. As the article puts it, they either had to decide to be the #1 Filipino social networking site & market themselves accordingly or find a way to minimize the amount of virtually worthless (to advertisers & therefore to themselves) traffic they were dealing with. Over time, they failed to do either.

Meanwhile, the new Abrams project mentioned in the article, Socialzr? Flopped by fall 2009, bought up by another similar company (PunchBowl) at the end of 2010.