PDA

View Full Version : OT- For those who know Italian. . .

Esquared1
07-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Hey guys!

In the ultimate gesture of trust, I need somebody to tell me how to say " I would like to ask permission for your daughter's hand in marriage." in Italian.

Since I am asking my gf's dad, I need the actually words, and not something like "I want you to fly a kite."

If that happens, you might hear of a body discovered in Barrington IL. :D

Schmidty
07-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Hey guys!

In the ultimate gesture of trust, I need somebody to tell me how to say " I would like to ask permission for your daughter's hand in marriage." in Italian.

Since I am asking my gf's dad, I need the actually words, and not something like "I want you to fly a kite."

Vorrei chiedere il permesso la vostra mano di daughter's nell'unione.

Schmidty
07-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Don't ask me how to pronounce that. Ask Babelfish.

j25352857
07-01-2004, 04:13 PM
"daughter" isn't an italian word... lol

replace that with "della figlia" in the above

wbatl1
07-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Vorrei chiedere il permesso la vostra mano di daughter's nell'unione.

Did you get that off a internet translator. It looks very suspicious to me. Italian has to have a word for daughter, and I doubt there possesive is the the same as our "apostrophe s".

wbatl1
07-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Hey guys!

Oh yeah, good luck.

Raven Hawk
07-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Hey guys!

If they're Italian and from Barrington . . . you don't want to screw this up. ;)

j25352857
07-01-2004, 04:19 PM
dola- may want to say "nel matromonio" instead of nell'unione, so I'd say:

Vorrei per chiedere il permesso per la sua mano della figlia nel matrimonio

I took 2 years of italian (taught in the florentine dialect), so that is what I'd say.

Esquared1
07-01-2004, 04:36 PM
If they're Italian and from Barrington . . . you don't want to screw this up. ;)

To be more precise, they are Sicilian and from Barrington, so I REALLY don't want to screw this up. :D

j25352857
07-01-2004, 04:46 PM
hmm... sicilian is like an entirely different language from "normal" italian

Fritz
07-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Iay ouldway ikelay otay askay ermissionpay orfay ouryay aughtersday andhay inay arriagemay. salute

judicial clerk
07-01-2004, 05:36 PM
just say, "heya paisan! I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refue, quapiche[sp]? That daughet of yours is a spicy ah meatball and I'm gonna take ah you daughter as my wife, eh. *make in-and-out motion with your arm as you finish last sentence, then slap his cheeks twice at the same time. then Maybe adjust his tie*

Franklinnoble
07-01-2004, 05:47 PM
I'd quote "True Romance" to him:

It's a fact. Sicilians have nigger blood pumpin' through their hearts. If

you don't believe me, look it up. You see, hundreds and hundreds of years

ago the Moors conquered Sicily. And Moors are niggers. Way back then,

Sicilians were like the wops in northern Italy. Blond hair, blue eyes. But,

once the Moors moved in there, they changed the whole country. They did so

much fuckin' with the Sicilian women, they changed the blood-line for ever,

from blond hair and blue eyes to black hair and dark skin. I find it

absolutely amazing to think that to this day, hundreds of years later,

Sicilians still carry that nigger gene. I'm just quotin' history. It's a

fact. It's written. Your ancestors were niggers. Your great, great, great,

great, great-grandmother was fucked by a nigger, and had a half-nigger kid.

That is a fact. Now tell me, am I lyin'?

oliegirl
07-01-2004, 07:41 PM
just say, "heya paisan! I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refue, quapiche[sp]? That daughet of yours is a spicy ah meatball and I'm gonna take ah you daughter as my wife, eh. *make in-and-out motion with your arm as you finish last sentence, then slap his cheeks twice at the same time. then Maybe adjust his tie*

So THAT'S what radii said to my dad when he asked for my hand! Who knew???

cartman
07-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Hmm, I never had to use that particular phrase while living in Italy. However, these were quite useful:

"Non I rompere mi coglioni!"

and

"Sono molto arrupato. Voglio un pompino, subito!"

However, use either of these in front of the in-laws to be, and you'll end up like Sonny Corleone.

Italian.tcy
07-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Vorrei avere il permesso di chiedere la mano di vostra figlia (litterally)

maybe better: vorrei avere il permesso di chiedere a vostra figlia di sposarmi

Other notable mention to be corrected in this thread:

Non mi rompere i coglioni!!

Sono molo arrapato, voglio un pompino subito (you almost got it right!)

Ciao

vex
07-02-2004, 01:58 AM
Si:D

cuervo72
07-02-2004, 07:58 AM
"C'è una melanazana nel tuo boffo"

cartman
07-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Other notable mention to be corrected in this thread:

Non mi rompere i coglioni!!

Sono molo arrapato, voglio un pompino subito (you almost got it right!)

Cazzo! Well, it was close enough that most Italians understood what I was saying!

The one phrase in Italian that never made any sense to me was:

"Non far sapere al contadino quant'è buona la pera col pecorino."

Roughly translated, it means "Don't let the farmer know how good cheese and pears are together."

And a side note, pecorino is cheese from sheep, and pecorina is something else entirely!

Esquared1
07-02-2004, 11:23 AM
I'd quote "True Romance" to him:

Funny you should mention that.

My gf is fluenent in Spanish also, and this movie was on a Spanish speaking channel. I found it right around that scene and I gave the gf a call.

Luckily, it scene was translated to "Itailans are related to black people" Good for me, since I may not be typing these words otherwise.

Huckleberry
07-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Why don't you tell him you're interested in learning Italian? And then after asking him how to say a few words/phrases, ask him how to say "I would like to ask permission for your daughter's hand in marriage."

Lucky Jim
07-02-2004, 11:35 AM
maybe better: vorrei avere il permesso di chiedere a vostra figlia di sposarmi

That should work. But honestly, if they speak Sicilian, or Ameritalian, it won't make much difference

Pronunciation guide :D :

Vohr-ay ah-ver-ay il (like an ill/eel hybrid) pair-mess-oh dee kee-ay-der-ay ah vostr-ah fee-lia (close enough) dee sposar-me

Haha good luck man.

Esquared1
07-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks all! We will see how it goes Wednesday night.

judicial clerk
07-06-2004, 10:36 AM
good luck!

atatange1
07-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Good luck!

rkmsuf
07-06-2004, 11:17 AM
I speak Jive if that will help

AnalBumCover
07-06-2004, 11:30 AM
"Don Corleone, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your daughter's wedding. And I hope their first child be a masculine child. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty."

oliegirl
07-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Did we not get an update to what happened with the proposal???? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Buccaneer
07-11-2004, 08:47 PM
"Don Corleone, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your daughter's wedding. And I hope their first child be a masculine child. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty."
Not quite. You have to insert "and her wedding day" after "daughter's wedding". Lenny Montana did screw up the line (because he was very nervous in front of Brando) but since it came off as real, they kept it in instead of a re-take.

ShaefIllini
07-11-2004, 09:04 PM

This cannot be any more true, I hope everything went alright Esquared.

Fritz
07-11-2004, 09:09 PM
how do you ask to trade a woman a chicken for sex? The chicken might be baked or fried, if this helps. THANKS!!!!!

AnalBumCover
07-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Not quite. You have to insert "and her wedding day" after "daughter's wedding". Lenny Montana did screw up the line (because he was very nervous in front of Brando) but since it came off as real, they kept it in instead of a re-take.You're absolutely right. I changed it on my post to make the sentence flow. After all, I didn't want Esquared1 to screw up in front of a Sicilian. :D

Esquared1
09-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Bumpy after going away from more than 5 years... Quick update - My wife and I will be celebrating 9 years of wedded bliss in late October. Y'all wanted updates so I thought I would stop by and fulfill my promise. :)

Good to see the community remains strong.