PDA

View Full Version : Living the Dream - A Real Life Dynasty

Senator
07-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Living the Dream – A Real Life Dynasty

This dynasty will be a very personal one for me. The reason is, it will deal directly with my slightly younger brother and his attempt at something, at least to me, seems incredibly risky but amazingly heroic. What does it mean to follow your bliss?

The wonderful teacher Joseph Campbell said, “if you follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.”

Can we say we follow our bliss? Most of us go the traditional route. We have a passion early in our lives, but something happens along the way. Most of the time, the risk became too much, and we opted for a more traditional path to a better life, albeit safer. We fall in love, get married, kids come along, and poof, we are using our Liberal Arts Degree in European Literature in the early 16th century as a CPA or something. Responsibility grabs the spotlight in our lives. And there is something admirable in that. To put your hopes and dreams aside for the security and well being of the family you have chosen to lead. To choose this is not only noble, but should be applauded. No one says we have to take responsibility, but we know that we must. And by doing so, we have paid tribute to the ones before us, who have done the same thing.

But what about that yearning you still have? Didn’t you want to be a pitcher in the World Series, an Olympic athlete, a CIA agent, a fireman, an astronaut, or even the President? What happened? Why didn’t you become one of those things? Someone had to. Why not you? Most of us, if we were being honest with ourselves, would say the price was too high for admission, and we didn’t want to risk the chance of failure. For you see, at some point we figure out, for every hero, for every guy who “makes it”, there are thousands who do not. Do you not sometimes, late at night before sleep, think of greatness in a life you will never have. In traffic, do you not throw a no-hitter against the Yankees? For most of us, these dreams diminish and fall away as we realize that adulthood means just that. And we give away those dreams to others.

My brother is not like that. He is one of those people that you are not sure if he is following his bliss, avoiding responsibility, or a little of both. But here we are, at the moment of truth, and the odds makers are having a field day on the over and under if he goes through with it or makes the cut at all.

He is 29 years old, married and with two kids, ages 3 and 1. His wife is an agreeable, and supportive woman who trusts that he is doing this for the long-term happiness of not only himself, but also the family. He is about to play college football again. At a time when most men are contemplating their retirement plans from the game, he is about to become one who lives out the fantasy most of us only think about when our thoughts ramble down a path on their own.

This dynasty will show his background, what his plans are, and follow him to either mediocrity, disgrace, or greatness. If he goes through it, makes the team, we will follow his games and look at his stats, and basically live vicariously through him.

Next chapter – His background and what led him to this moment.

Senator
07-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Living the Dream – A Real Life Dynasty

Part II – History

My brother and I have always been different, but very close. We are competitive to a fault, we love the underdog, and both want more out of our lives than the mundane. But, where I am safe, he is risky. Where I plan and plot and save, he barrels full ahead. I am the tortoise and he is the hare. But this is not about me, so we point the microscope at him.

My brother was the star football player in a town full of star football players, in a state (Texas) full of football-frenzied fans. He played running back, wingback, safety, kick-returner and punt returner. He rarely came off the field. He started his junior and senior years. He had over 1000 yards rushing his senior year, over 30 catches, six interceptions, 80 tackles, six sacks, 10 rushing touchdowns, 8 receiving touchdowns, 2 kickoff return touchdowns, and 1 punt return for a touchdown. He still holds many records, including a 99-yard touchdown run from scrimmage that was voted as one of the greatest plays in school history. During a combine his senior year, sponsored by Reebok, he set the national record for the 4 coned sprint that tested pure speed and side to side speed, am important measure of true field speed. His was not only fast, but also strong. He benched 350 pounds 18 times. His vertical leap was in the Top Ten of the combine. His 40 was timed as an aggregate at 4.4. He was 6’0 and weighed 220 pounds. The letters began to come in to the household. Smiles all around.

But like all real life stories, it was not as simple as you would want happy endings to be. He did not like school, and saw no real reason to do well, even though his intelligence was far above normal. He fell in love with a pretty blonde, who wanted to get married and didn’t want him far from home. His strength on the field hid his inferiority complex in other aspects of his life. I had began to do well in politics, and he had to endure what I suppose was an unfair comparison in the mental competition that happens to siblings. He also began to see as he visited other schools, talent very much like his own, and even far better. His courage began to leave him, and he turned to the person who would make everything all right, the blonde girl. She told him all the things that two immature people say to one another. They were sure that no love existed like theirs. They were sure they were the centers of the universe.

But even young love doesn’t pay the bills. They wanted to get married, and he looked at his options. Many schools were very concerned with not only his grades, but also his commitment to improve those weaknesses if given an opportunity. He waffled back and forth, unsure what to do. He wasn’t looking for advice from my parents, and he didn’t want any from myself. The two of them would figure it out. Isn’t that the way all great love stories start out?

He was offered scholarships to several schools. But all were too far from the girl he loved. He decided he would join the Marines. This would “solve all the money problems”, and “get me the respect of her dad”, who had misgivings about them. And so he did. At 19, he joined the military. He went to boot camp in California, and when he returned four months later, he and his blonde girl got married, and lived happily ever after.

Of course they didn’t, or this story would be over. He was stationed in Camp LeJeune, North Carolina. He played on the local “camp” football team for two years, and then began his dreaded six-month “float”. He knew it was coming, and had put it off as long as possible, but it had arrived. He had to go by ship to Bosnia for six months in 1997. It was not a great time to be there, and he had many close calls. But most importantly for himself, he noticed a deterioration of communication between himself and the blonde girl. He tried to put on a brave face, but he began to worry. After what seemed like ages, he arrived back at Camp LeJeune. What he found confirmed his fears. The house was a mess; it looked like it had not been cleaned since he left. His truck had an enormous amount of mileage on it. And gossip around the area was less than flattering about her fidelity to my brother.

He is a proud person, and I know this was the last thing he ever wanted or dreamed would happen. After talking with her, he knew that the ivory towers he had built up in his mind had crumbled. I flew to North Carolina and was shocked at the condition of the house. The first thing I did was to get him out of military housing, and get him a duplex off base. He had one year left, and it would be a long one. During this time he dealt with the inevitable question of wrong choices and dreams deferred. Of a heart broken, and a pride bruised. He began to rebuild his life. His last year he took night courses at a local college and tested his ability to handle college coursework, which had been a truly big, and in the end unfounded, fear.

He left the military an older and wiser man of 23. He confided to me he felt that he had missed his window of opportunity. I assured him it was not so, but an older brothers advice is only listened to, long after it had any chance of doing any good. Besides, as I told him, his one life is his only life, and at some point the bad breaks are only the result of the choices we make. Whatever he decided to do, he should make it count.

He began to go to school and work during the day. He decided his love for football was what made him happy, and he thought he would love to coach. We began to see a plan take shape, and see hope where before was despair. We all crossed our fingers.

It was at this time he started seeing someone. We all thought highly of her, and noticed what a difference between the other girl and this one. Support seemed to take the place of neediness; maturity, where before immaturity held court. After a year they married. He was now almost 25. He was on his second marriage, and was going through school the hard way, working by day, slogging through it by night. Every fear he had at eighteen had come true. He did not want it to be this way. But, it had took some hard knocks to learn what he wanted and who he wanted to be with, and now, with a little persistence, he would get there.

But in the back of his mind, the constant regret. The memory was clear, from the time he was five years old. “I want to play college football. I want to play college football.” It had been discussed over and over; so much so it became fact before reality, and now it appeared, would dissolve in a puff of smoke and stories that middle age men tell.

“I was good enough to play college football but…”

Would he become one of those people? The kind you listen to about the glory years of high school, as you find the cleanest way to escape the uncomfortable feeling of it all. That would be a sad end to the story, but one, unfortunately, all too common.

He wanted to finish college as soon as possible to coach. Then he could get back to the game he loved, and place where he always felt at home. His bliss. His wife was from Arkansas, and they moved there to live while he attended Arkansas State. While there, he was working out in the weight room, and a coach approached him. He had been watching him, and liked his size. My brother had kept his workouts and sprints up to date. He still had good speed, and had added much to his weight maxes.

After hearing my brother’s story, the coach realized he had full eligibility to play football. He set up a combine to test him out. Everything went splendid. The season was in full bloom, and they had no scholarships to give until the following year. If he would commit, he would be playing on one of the worst Division I schools in the nation, but he would be playing football. He could hardly contain himself. He was overjoyed. Somehow, someway, it had worked out. Destiny had been a long time coming, but she finally showed, and brought with her one more chance.

And then his wife found out she was pregnant. Precautions were made, but precautions sometimes fail. It was as if time stood still. Suddenly, everything changed in his mind. This was responsibility he had never before known or expected, and he did what any man would who feared for his family. He decided he would come back to Texas, work full time as before and go to school at night. His dream of playing college football was just that. The book had been closed. Destiny turned out to be a prankster.

Luckily his older brother took pity on him. As he sat on the sidelines and hoped his brother would find the life he dreamed of, every defeat hurt him as well. No one likes to see their loved ones have a hard time, and even I thought that this time, football was a game for lighter souls who had the luxury of time and opportunity. I gave him a job that would coordinate with his school schedule. He would go back to plan B. Get through school and coach football. Start off in some small Texas town and work himself up through the ranks.

This past year saw another addition to the family, giving him two daughters. It also saw him inch ever closer to completion of college. He was now a senior with his credits, and all looked well. This past year also saw a coach from an NAIA school badger him with emails almost daily. The coach was the head coach of a successful school in Kansas. He was a friend with a coach from Arkansas State. The coach from ASU had talked very highly of my brother. This coach had just had success using older players with eligibility that had fallen through the cracks. He found them more mature, leaders, and at the prime of their athletic lives. My brother kept up friendly contact with the coach, but never really considered going there. But then, two things happened. My brothers wife said, “This is the dream of your life, why not listen what the man has to offer.” This was all my brother needed to hear, but when he flew to Kansas to meet the coach and workout for him, another thing happened. The coach offered a unique opportunity. Play football this coming season for him, and after he graduates, he will give him an assistant coaching position, so impressed he was with the knowledge my brother had of the game. So, he thought, he could kill two birds with one stone. Get his degree, and leapfrog the high school ranks and start his coaching career in the college ranks, even on that level is more than most get. Plus, and this is a big one. He would be able to live his life long dream of playing in college. Sure, it was not the University of Texas like he planned, but it was football, and he was playing it. He took the shot.

This past weekend, he and his family moved to Kansas. They found a place to live, his wife found a good job, and he is working out preparing for two a days. The first game is September 11.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. The open questions that will be answered in this dynasty are:

1. Will he actually go through with it, or will destiny or his choices change it from happening?
2. How will he feel playing football with guys 10 years younger?
3. How will he feel taking orders from coaches, some roughly his same age?
4. How will his body handle competitive football after being out for some many years?
5. Will he still have the same desire he once had to take the knocks?
6. How will he transition to playing middle linebacker from the other glamour positions he is used to?
7. Will he like Kansas?
8. Will the coach come through on his promise?
9. If he does play, how will he do?
10. What does it feel like to live a dream?

Next chapter – Report from two-a-days

JAG
07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Very impressive story Senator, I'm looking forward to reading about your brother and rooting him to make it. When I read your description of the two of you, I felt like I was reading a description of myself and my next youngest brother.

CamEdwards
07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
wow. I'm not going to heckle him at all. Sounds like a great chance to fulfill a dream.

Franklinnoble
07-14-2004, 12:25 PM
This is friggin' awesome.

Tell your brother that a lot of guys are pulling for him...

FrogMan
07-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Chalk one more fellow rooting for your bro, all the way from Quebec City :)

This dynasty has some awesome potential, best of luck to your brother!

FM

duckman
07-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Wow! This is a great inspirational story! :)

thealmighty
07-14-2004, 12:50 PM
It may not be Texas, but ask Dorothy. Kansas can be a good place to turn a dream into reality.

I'm also pulling for him. He has a fan club already.

Franklinnoble
07-14-2004, 01:00 PM
What school in Kansas? It's not K-State or KU, is it?

Radii
07-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Wow, very very impressive, I'll be one of the masses following along.

sachmo71
07-14-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm going to call my brother tonight and thank him for helping me when I was lost. You are a good brother, Senator.

MacroGuru
07-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Wow!

Tell you Brother he has more balls than I have. I wanted to take the leap this year, but, I haven't had the support he has.

This is one I am following.

Have him document this, he has a book potential here with it as well.

JeeberD
07-14-2004, 05:25 PM
What school in Kansas? It's not K-State or KU, is it?

Sen said that it was an NAIA school, so neither of those programs...

Great story, Sen. Awesome stuff and I'll be pulling hard for your bro.

Desnudo
07-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Great story so far. If you had the end, I'd say submit the whole thing to a magazine.

JeeberD
07-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Speaking of, aren't you currently writing a book about high school football, Sen? How's that going?

Senator
07-14-2004, 09:21 PM
I have been for the past year. Very far along with it. I have probably six months left of rewriting. I like it. It may suck, but I like it. My brothers real life story seems more interesting though than my psuedo fiction.

Thank you for the support regarding my brother. I passed it along tonight when we talked. It seemed to make him feel even better about the whole thing. I have some more info to pass along that I will be writing about later.

korme
07-14-2004, 10:48 PM
this is great sen

Senator
07-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Dateline 7-14-04

Two-a-days start mid August, and the first game is September 11. Between now and two-a-days, my brother has one mission. To go into camp in better shape than anyone else there. He feels he will already be under the spotlight, and going in a sack of potatoes can only hurt his chances.

His coach called him last night and discussed with my brother the importance of conveying his situation with his teammates. He wants to use my brother as an example, I guess, in a few ways. “Man, you have been in a war, this is nothing for you,” in an obvious reference to Bosnia. “The difference between the young guys and yourself is that you have had football taken away from you, and you know how it feels.” My brother said, “I know this will end quickly, so I am savoring every second. I know this is one of the biggest gifts I have ever been given.”

I consider his attitude positive and upbeat. All except one area. I asked him how he was going to handle the inevitable smirking and whispering from his teammates, he responded, “I am going into that place like a headhunter. My goal every practice, every play, every game is to snatch the youth away from them.” I started laughing. Youth Snatcher.

In the conversation last night with the coach, he asked my brother something that never even crossed my mind. “Are you natural?” he asked. My brother said that he was, and would take a test anytime anyone wanted. “No, that is alright. I have to ask. I have to have some sort of explanation as to why you are more in shape than my 18 year olds are. We don’t have to test in the NAIA, but since this is a Christian school, someone from administration could ask and we would have to do it. It cost quite a bit of money, so we have never done it.”

I could see where someone would think he was on the juice looking at it from outside the situation. He is pretty stout, and very fast. I guess in this day and age you have to consider these things as a possibility. Knowing my brother the way I do, it would shock me beyond belief if I found out he was, but he doesn’t drink, smoke, or do drugs, which of course, does not discount him, but surely gives him the benefit of the doubt in my eyes. I just don’t think this is a possibility, but in this life, you just never know what people will do. He cares too much about his family to ever embarrass them and himself this way is my final word on the matter.

Yesterday he spent doing cone drills, and sprint work. He said the hardest thing was getting used to cleats again. I forgot how much they hurt your feet at first. He ran forties for time, and the coach was there to observe. When he ran a 4.4, the coach threw down his clipboard. “You may be way to fast for a linebacker, we might have to put you in the backfield. I am not sure what the hell we are going to do with you,” he said. My brother has this hidden fantasy of playing iron man, both offense and defense, but I can tell you that is not going to happen.

There is still a good chunk of time before two a days. He is still getting settled into his house and the town. “It looks like a small town in Texas,” he said. The whole town follows the team and they get roughly 6-8,000 people attending each home game. More if they make the playoffs. This is just a little more than saw him play high school football, but I think at this point, he would play if no one were watching.

After his workouts, his three-year-old daughter wanted to run the forty. She blazed in at a very respectable 12.37. My brother asked me to see what the record was for three year olds. I told him I think that may have been the first 40 timed for a three year old, since I timed him at that age so long ago.

Senator
07-15-2004, 09:05 AM
An email from him a few minutes ago:

Today is the 4th day in a row I have run sprints. My sprint/conditioning workout consists of 10x40yd sprints, 10x20yd sprints, 10x60yd sprints, and 10x110yds. I also implement various cone drills to win back my agility that age has seemed to have stolen from me. I was clocked in the 40yd dash today at a 4.44. After the workout, actually within the first 15 minutes my legs began to tremble from fatigue. God how I wish I had at least 4 years of my life back. I honestly feel stronger and more athletic now, but the recovery time is three fold what it was when I was 18. I also do weight training; it is pretty brutal as well. I have held off from it for 2 weeks due to the fact that my leg stamina needs to catch up with my upper body. I lifted 405 lbs twice for my max 2 weeks ago, and I wonder if the 2 weeks off have rendered that personal best. Oh well, speed kills and that is how the game is played. My groin is sore, and my hamstrings are as well, but it is that good sore. It makes me feel that it's not over just yet, that the sweet feeling of competing among youth is still within grasp, even though it's not within reason. I watched The Natural again on ESPN Sports Classic, and every time I get the chills. Although football is the sport in which I love, that movie is by far my all time favorite. It's about the purity of one's passion to never give up no matter what the critiques say. It's about another chance, thumbing your nose at life and it's hairpin turns that seem to have a black lining of the occasional bad luck. It is about seizing that one moment, and excelling at the given opportunity like you know it's your last, because you actually do know it is your last. It's about erasing regret and the bad decisions that were made. It's not about proving those who said you could never do it wrong, but instead proving that small list of people who said you could always do it, right. It's about the love for football...God how I love this game.

Senator
07-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Log - 7-15-04

I am eating Bratwurst with cheddar cheese. I need to keep the weight on, but the workouts are burning all of it away it seems. I weigh 230lbs, and would like to stay that weight. In the mornings it drops down to 225, which is acceptable I suppose. I was really going to take the day off, but why should I? Do I deserve it, what the hell have I really done anyway....nothing yet. There will be plenty of time to take off when this dream is over, so I am going to drag it out as long as I can. I dryheave at the thought of running sprints on a full Bratwurst stomach, but it must be done. I did some scouting on our opposition this upcoming season. We play a Texas team, Southwest Baptist I believe...they look like they have alot of speed, which is not a good thing for us. I guess we are going to have to bury the QB everyplay to prevent big plays...I can't wait. I have a hunger to hit so bad, maybe it is my anger about the fact that my youth is fading fast, and there is always someone there to replace it. The cycle of life will be my motivation to bust some heads. It is 8pm and I need to get out on the field to workout. The mosquito birds are awaiting my blood, the trashcan awaits my vomit, while the field awaits my sweat. I ask myself is it all worth it, as I slap myself to get motivated to go. Not even a second goes by as the voice in my head says, hell yes!

Flasch186
07-15-2004, 09:50 PM
im hooked

SFL Cat
07-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Great stuff, I wish your brother all the best.

JeeberD
07-16-2004, 12:24 AM
I want a bratwurst!

3ric
07-16-2004, 02:44 AM
Expect a whole bunch of FOFCers reporting their three-year olds' 40 times... :D

Great story Senator, I can't wait to read about your brother's first game!

sachmo71
07-16-2004, 08:30 AM
I want a bratwurst!

Apparently if you go to his pratice, you can have a slightly used one after his first round of sprints.

JeeberD
07-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Mmmm...pre-digested are the best kind!

sachmo71
07-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Mmmm...pre-digested are the best kind!

Half the work is already done!

Senator
07-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Monday, 19 July 2004
Entry #3
It's been a few days, I took off Fri-Sun like a chump. I am paying for it today, and will have to play catch up from this point. Today was brutal...I did 10x20 yds, 10x40 yds all for time. However, I have no idea what my actual time is. Come to find out my wife is very inconsistent with the timer, or I am a very inconsistent runner. I was timed everywhere from a 4.2 up to a 5.0, which just doesn't match up. I thought I was fast, but it might just happen that it has all been timer error, and I am a 4.8 or 4.9, mercy! My wife is a blessing though, she pushes me pretty hard. I also did 2x110's and then ended the workout with 600 yds worth of gashers. A gasher is when you run for 20 yds and run back 20 yds, run 40 yds and run back 40 yds, and I did that 10 times. I had side stitch like never before, and I resembled Erik Williams fat butt when in the middle of a Cowboy game he went down clutching his fat side missing a key block, and got Emmitt knocked out. I despised myself at that moment and pushed even harder. They say that you can feel your age sometimes, and never more was that true today. I wanted my heart to just explode so the pain would end, but it just kept pumping, despite my shaky legs. I have to eat and do a 1 hour chest workout. I should be in bed by midnight, and honestly at this point I ask myself why alot. I try not to look at myself in the mirror, I don't want to see the quit in my eyes...so I just look down alot and keep the heart pumping for more. It seems my heart is all that is keeping this dream alive.

thealmighty
07-20-2004, 12:28 AM
The heart is the biggest muscle in the human body (or something like that). Listen to it!!

condors
07-20-2004, 11:11 AM
great read, best of luck to your brother !

Senator
07-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Tuesday, 20 July 2004
Entry #4
Today was a good day, despite the groin soreness from yesterdays workout. I did about a 1hr 15 minute conditioning workout. For some odd reason I keep having good things happen to me for once. I met this guy in my Sports History class and his dad works for the Houston Texans. He gave me the actual player spiral handbook that the team hands out every year. The knowledge in this book is awesome. It has everything from your diet and what to cook, to weight training, to conditioning, to position skills, to life related advice. This will be good to borrow from when I become a coach, and I will implement a bunch of it in my program, but for now I will use it as a player. This morning on my way to school I witnessed a fatal accident. A diesel had a blowout and he flipped over and was not wearing a seatbelt. They shut down the entire highway and brought in the Care Flight Helicopter, but I think the guy was gone. As I sat there for about 45 minutes the horns began to honk and the people began to get restless. I wanted to join in, but something told me to sit back and soak in the situation. A man's life might have possibly been ended, and the reality of that is surreal. Those idiots honking are so caught up in their own selfish life, that they could not set aside 1 hr of their precious time so that the proper authorities could possibly save a fellow human beings life. But you know what, although I did not join in the honking festivities, I felt sorrow. People are very selfish...and I am no different. This dream is selfish, but I can't say no to it. Does that make me no better than those honking, impatient fools this morning? Hell, I don't know, but I feel better than those people, because like Louden Swain once said, " you gotta live life out like there is no tommorrow, because when you get right down to it, there isn't." Let them honk in their nice Hummers and Lexus vehicles, status to them is material, and material is made to eventually fail. Happiness is the greatest hidden possesion one could own, and each day I wake up the happiness is building. Am I cocky, no. Am I big headed, no. Am I confident, somewhat. Am I rich, hell no....BUT am I happy, hell yes.

Senator
07-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Wednesday, 21 July 2004
Entry #5
Headaches all day have haunted me...my sinuses are bleeding and I am at the mercy of the Texas heat and ragweed. I really don't remember the allergies being so bad when I was a kid, and I wonder if that is from the fact that I was too focused on kid stuff, or just didn't know enough to care. Anyway, it sucks now, and there seems like there is no relief. I did a 2hr shoulders workout today, and I am going to rest the legs today. It says in the Houston Texans manual that rest is just as important as the conditioning itself, and man was I glad to read that. So far, I have done 2 weeks worth of 5 day conditioning. Next week I start doing the conditioning 6 days a week for the rest of the month until camp starts. My daughter spotted a snake today when I was away at school. I got home and she was still terrified, so I got her to show me where she had seen it. i have to find this snake, or else she hallucinates spotting a snake everywhere she looks and it scares me to death. I am eating meatloaf tonight, and I can't wait. I feel like I am starving all the time, although I look nothing like a person needing weight. The mosquitos are evolving into buzzards down here. They hover outside the window waiting for my blood with every moment resembling Mothra from the Godzilla series. I have a project due tommorrow in Sports History class, so I am off to do it. Maybe I can take advantage of the brief time off, but it is killing me of guilt. I might have to do sit ups or some push ups to balance the shame of taking a day off. The wife says it's dinner time...tonight, I will feast like a king, and dream a little dream.

Flasch186
07-25-2004, 09:30 AM
just caught up on reading this.....dont you dare give up!!! youre doing this not just for yourself but for everyone else who has ever missed out on a shot. Doesnt matter if you succeed but just that you dont quit as it is all of us that gave up, not you. You hang in there and show those guys down there in texas just how far dreaming a little dream can take you.

Senator
08-19-2004, 09:26 AM
August 19, 2004

Two a days officially start on the 25th. My brother has dropped down to 230 from working out and running constantly. Yesterday was the first day players could enter the field house,talk with the coaches, and work out on their own on site.

My brother did a full weight workout next to a quiet kid who kept eyeballing him. Finally, my brother asked for a spot on the bench press. The kid said, "This is really the area used by the players."
"I know, I am one," my brother said.
"Ohhhh, you must be that guy from Texas that I heard about. Fought in Desert Storm or some shit," he said.
"No, that would make me 40, I was in Bosnia," said my brother.
"Yeah, Bosnia, I heard of that."

And so my brother met the starting strong safety and one of the seniors going into the 2004 season. After the workout, the guy said, "I know coach will want to know you are here," and took him to the office.

The coach was excited to see him, they talked a little about the day care problem my brother is having, and options on how to handle it. Then the coach said,
"Usually, I have one day put aside for handing out equipment, but I have yours special if you want it."
"Heck yeah," said my brother.
The coach fitted him a top of the line shoulder pad set, pants, pads, and a superb brand new Rydell Enforcer helmet with the Ray Lewis face mask. Then the coach threw him his practice jersey, #56. It had a big swoosh logo on the side. The school is sponsored by Nike and everything was top of the line.

"I know you want a different number, but I want you to be the LT of my defense. I don't want them to know where you are coming from, and with your speed, they should be down before they hand the ball off. What game number did you want?"

"Number 9," said my brother.

"Why?" asked the coach.

"The Natural is my favorite movie, and Roy Hobbs was a guy who had a last chance to live his dream, like me. He wore #9."

"Yeah, well so did Adam Sandler in The Waterboy," quipped the coach. "Now, go in the locker room, here is your combination for your locker."

My brother walked into the locker room, and there before his eyes was his name painted on the first locker. Inside was his jock, sweat top and pants, gray undershirt, shorts, and inside a box was the most awsome set of Nike cleats my brother had ever seen.
"I couldn't afford these at any point in my life," was how he described it.

Then, in the back of the locker was the thick playbook with a note attached.
'Know it by the 25th'.

JAG
08-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Awesome. :)

Franklinnoble
08-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Wow.... that's just bad-ass.

3ric
08-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Great! I've been meaning to ask what had happened since the last update... now it's getting interesting.

thealmighty
08-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Day-um (that's Texan for damn, for the uninitiated). :cool:

duckman
08-19-2004, 11:35 PM
That is just awesome!

k0ruptr
08-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Best. Dynasty. Ever

CamEdwards
08-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Best. Dynasty. Ever

absolutely. and today's the first day of two a days. should be an interesting next post. :)

Senator
08-25-2004, 11:38 AM
And I am flying to Alaska pretty quick. I won't even know how it went until I call him from Anchorage.

This is a pretty big day for him.

JeeberD
08-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Hope everything goes well for him! :)

MizzouRah
08-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Me too, excellent reading Senator.

I smell a book coming out. :)

Todd

Senator
09-04-2004, 08:47 PM
I just returned from vacation in Alaska, and only talked to my brother briefly, on a dying cell phone on the way to the airport in Vancouver.

This is the info I have.

He said all the hard workouts preparing him for 3-a-days did little for him. To him, it was harder than boot camp in the Marines. He arrived at 7 in the morning and left at midnight. The coach is a films freak, and they watched films when they were not working out. The defense has 80 schemes alone, and this was a pretty big surprise.

Early in the week, they decided to put him as the roving defensive lineman. He will follow the strong side as either the defensive end, defensive tackle, and sometimes noseguard. He was a starter from day one, which made him pretty happy. On the second day of full contact he heard a pop in his left shoulder. He could hardly raise his arm without severe pain. Three days of this became unendurable. He was having trouble blasting through blocks, and the coaches started noticing it.

He decided he would go to the team doctor, fearful they were going to tell him his rotator cuff was thrashed or ligaments were torn. His first thought was, "This is how it is going to end?"

The doctor x-rayed him, and determined he had severe inflammation near his nerve. They gave him a cortisone shot. He is allowed by NCAA rules to have no more than three a year. He says, that with some heat/cold therapy did the trick. I am not a real big fan of cortisone to mask an injury, but I just have to hope the coaches up there are looking out for the best interest of the players. There is little I can do or say, so I won't.

The players call him "Pops", and the fellow defensive linemen call him "Gramps". He says there is way more talent on the team that he thought there would be. It seems every guy was All-Honors from wherever town he came from.

Three-a-days ended Thursday night, and today they had the intra-mural scrimmage. I don't know how that turned out.

And now the roster for the team. All the way down, you might notice #97 - a freshman from a little town in Texas, but with a pretty big story to tell so far.

No. Name Position Ht. Wt. Year Hometown
01 Brandon Barr QB 6'2 200 FR Longmont, CO
02 Mike Beach WR 6'2 200 JR Arvada, CO
04 Jake Schenk LB 5'9 195 JR Smith Center, KS
05 Anthony LeRoux QB 5'10 210 SO Lawrence, KS
06 Layne Frick WR 6'4 195 JR Durham, KS
07 Steven Chisholm WR 6'4 205 SO Durham, KS
08 Ricky Ishida QB 5'11 210 SO Shafter, CA
09 Tim Jones DB 6'0 175 SO Ft Worth, TX
10 Jack McBride QB 6'4 195 FR Edmond, OK
11 Tim Stevens DB 5'11 175 SO Bakersfield, CA
12 Vance Donahue WR 6'1 160 SO Herington, KS
13 Marcus Manny K 5'10 170 FR Dallas, TX
14 Ike Njaku RB 6'1 225 JR Seattle, WA
15 Garrett Bryant WR 5'6 150 JR Dallas, TX
16 Joe Fenske S 5'8 195 JR Corning, CA
17 Ben Schmidt QB 5'9 175 SO Newton, KS
18 Justin Gibson RB 6'0 205 FR Ft Worth, TX
19 Caleb Marsh WR 5'10 170 FR Hillsboro, KS
20 Jeff Corley WR 5'11 160 FR Dallas, TX
21 Keith Warkentin DB 5'10 175 SO Corn, OK
22 Phillip Robben WR 5'6 145 FR Wichita, KS
23 Brandon Durham DB 5'9 180 FR Richardson, TX
25 Cedric Ross-King LB 6'1 235 FR Houston, TX
26 C.J. Hill SS 6'0 220 SR Hillsboro, KS
28 Zech Lucero LB 5'7 170 FR Westminster, CO
29 Roger Butler RB 5'9 220 JR Hanford, CA
30 Kevin Carroll K 5'11 180 FR Quitman, GA
31 Vincent Martin RB 5'5 160 FR Rockwall, TX
32 Brent Overmiller LB 6'2 230 JR Smith Center, KS
33 Caleb Mason LB 6'0 220 JR Baldwin City, KS
34 Trevor Thiessen RB 5'10 190 FR Whitewater, KS
35 John Mark Phelps DB 6'1 180 FR Elk City, OK
37 Caleb Stanton FB 6'0 180 JR Anaheim, CA
38 Phillip Aitken RB 5'10 180 FR Yuma, AZ
39 T.J. Jackson FB 5'11 195 FR Rowlett, TX
40 Zach Coon LB` 6'0 210 SO Nickerson, KS
41 Kevin Pawlak LB 6'3 190 FR Benbrook, TX
42 Brian Kimsey P 6'1 210 SR Gold River, CA
43 Ted Telemaque RB 5'11 225 JR Long Beach, CA
44 Sonny Kaesbauer TE 6'1 220 FR Whittier, CA
45 Chad Malcom DE 5'11 220 FR Limon, CO
46 Tyler, McKim LB 6'1 225 JR Red Bluff, CA
47 Ben Brown RB 6'1 220 JR Los Banos, CA
48 Brian Durowaiye LB 6'0 215 JR Houston, TX
49 Luke Wiebe DB 5'10 190 SO Wichita, KS
50 Carson Greenhaw LB 6'1 185 JR Hillsboro, KS
51 Pete Hall LB 5'10 225 SO Gettysburg, SD
52 Cody Beckstrum DL 5'8 290 FR Cope, CO
53 Tom Stevens DE 5'11 225 SO Bakersfield, CA
54 Chris Williams DE 6'0 225 SR Carthage, MS
56 Lee Waldron LB 5'10 205 JR Shafter, CA
57 Cody Dick OL 6'1 265 SO Buhler, KS
58 James Pizano OL 6'2 330 JR Bakersfield, CA
59 Justin Buzzard OL 5'8 235 FR Vinita, OK
60 Reggie Barcendibar OL 5'11 235 FR Thomas, OK
61 Jimmy Shipman DL 5'11` 235 FR Marion, KS
62 Justin Mathias DT 5'11 255 JR Hutchinson, KS
63 Grant Myers OL 6'1 280 SO Bakersfield, CA
64 Matt Vaughn DL 6'1 240 FR Joes, CO
65 Jarod Richardson DL 6'2 295 SO Grant, NE
66 Matt Sahlfeld DL 6'0 250 SO Beloit, KS
67 Zack Peters DE 6'2 235 FR Shafter, CA
68 Jacob Sattler DE 6'4 225 FR Derby, KS
70 Bobby Hurd OL 6'5 325 SO Elmer, OK
71 Andy Curtis OL 6'4 270 FR Altus, OK
72 Victor Munoz OL 6'6 310 FR Shafter, CA
74 Jeremy Olsen DL 6'2 250 JR Wichita, KS
77 Chris Cook DE 6'2 250 SO Abilene, KS
78 Dan Rains OL 6'1 290 SO Hope, KS
79 Ben Ottoson OL 6'2 335 SO Englewood, CO
80 John Garcia TE 6'1 255 SO Johnstown, CO
81 Matt Rorabaugh WR 5'11 195 JR Smith Center, KS
82 Merle Johnson WR 6'0 185 SO Lee's Summit, MO
83 Lance Baar WR 6'5 200 FR Joes, CO
84 Jeff MacKinnon WR 6'2 200 JR Owasso, OK
88 Job Hilliard DE 6'1 220 FR Peabody, KS
89 John Sigle TE 6'0 190 FR Council Grove, KS
90 Ryan Dick DE 6'2 210 FR Buhler, KS
92 Jesse Lira DE 6'0 230 JR Parlier, CA
94 Dustin Brooks DE 6'0 210 FR Cassville, MO
95 Britt Jones DE 6'3 210 FR Dallas, TX
97 Clayton Sanders DL 5'11 235 FR Weatherford, TX
98 John Ohm DT 6'1 270 JR Red Bluff, CA

MizzouRah
09-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Awesome!

Todd

3ric
09-05-2004, 07:01 AM
Hope that injury won't hinder him too much.

Senator
09-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Yesterday was the scrimmage. He had 3 sacks, 3 tackles for a loss, and a safety in 20 plays. He is ready for the game on Saturday. He went up against the best OL on the team, a kid named Big Country who is 6'5 325. Almost 5 inches and 100 pounds heavier. Thank God for speed and the head fake.

thealmighty
09-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Will you be going to the games, or some of them anyway? I think we at FOFC need to take a tired, overused and, IMHO, not funny anymore statement and go one better...

StReaMVideO, plz. K, thkz (or whatever). Film at 11.

MizzouRah
09-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Yesterday was the scrimmage. He had 3 sacks, 3 tackles for a loss, and a safety in 20 plays. He is ready for the game on Saturday. He went up against the best OL on the team, a kid named Big Country who is 6'5 325. Almost 5 inches and 100 pounds heavier. Thank God for speed and the head fake.
..and they call him "old man". :)

Great stats, even from a scrimmage.

Todd

Senator
09-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Will you be going to the games, or some of them anyway? I think we at FOFC need to take a tired, overused and, IMHO, not funny anymore statement and go one better...

StReaMVideO, plz. K, thkz (or whatever). Film at 11.

Yes. I don't know how many, the home games are 6 hours away, but I will make as many as humanly possible. Two games that I know of will be webcast games, and I will let you guys know when those are. I am videotaping all the games I attend, so I will upload some good/bad clips when I get back from each game. I am still wondering how a 235 pound guy is going to cut it on the DL. He says after awhile he can really start feeling the weight of those heavy lineman on him. Still, he has only been in 2 a days for a couple of weeks, he still has awhile to get his football legs under him. He was off them for almost 10 years.

Senator
09-05-2004, 04:53 PM
..and they call him "old man". :)

Great stats, even from a scrimmage.

Todd

The coaches call him Colonel, which is pretty typical.

Icy
09-10-2004, 05:01 AM
Amazing read, just read this and i realy love it, will follow it for sure. I really admire you brother and what he is doing, he has the balls that mostly of us haven't. I'm pretty sure that this is going to help us to think on our lives and how far we can go if we are strong enought to go for it.
Thanks a lot for this Senator, this is why i love FOFC.

mattwakeman
09-10-2004, 05:34 AM
Thanks a lot for this Senator, this is why i love FOFC.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Great story and it is so cool for someone to have the courage to take a chance on themselves and really push for their happiness rather than just giving up on their dream. Whatever happens to your bro then he will be able to look himself in the mirror and know, not just think, but know, that he did everything that he could. He will truly have no regrets. As far as I am concerned the man is a success regardless of what he manages to achieve on the field.

And major kudos to his wife and you for being so supportive. Like the man says, 'Live in the moment until the moment is gone...'

Senator
09-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Some really nice things you guys are saying. When I pass them onto him, he says they really help his mental attitude knowing that there are people that understand.

I agree with the major kudos to the wife. She is really supportive. She has to keep a full time job now, and still manage the kids and they really only saw him a few minutes a day during two a days.

Tomorrow at 4 in the morning, the Texas contingent is convoying up to Kansas to see the game. We want to visit our nieces and sister and law, and then the big game starts at 7. I don't know who will be more nervous, him or my family. I can't stress how this is such a long time coming for everyone. Setbacks and dashed hopes for almost a decade, where you almost..... almost just give up on thinking it will ever happen. This is a big day, just for the simple reason of following through on something you wanted to do your whole life. Sure, he is not at a monster program like huve playing for Miami, and all that, but tomorrow it will sure feel like he is.

Will update the game on Sunday night.

Senator
09-10-2004, 09:08 AM
MUST STOP THIS GUY:

Smith, Ryan
Number: 12
Position: Quarterback
Height: 6'1
Weight: 200
Classification: Senior
Hometown: Noxapater, Miss.
HS: Noxapater (Miss.) High School College Experience
has started the last three seasons at quarterback.
High School Info
earned MVP, all-state and all-district honors at Noxapater (Miss.) a class 1A public school ... participated in Mississippi All-Star game as a quarterback ... had a record of 13-2 as a junior with a state championship appearance ... team went 10-3 his senior season.

Personal Info
secondary education major.

http://www.sagu.edu/athletics/football/images/players/0405/Smith-Ryan.jpg

Monday, Smith was chosen as the Central States Football League Player of the Week. Now, Smith has been selected as the Full Impact National Player of the Week.

The Full Impact Network was created to serve as a national sports news service for NCAA competition.

Full Impact released the following about Ryan Smith on Tuesday, "Smith racked up over 500 yards of total offense and added five touchdowns in a 56-7 victory. He completed 19 of 26 passes for 430 yards and three touchdowns. He also ran for 89 yards on eight carries, with two going for touchdowns. His longest pass for the day was a 72-yard touchdown strike."

Alf
09-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Update, Update . I want my fix !

mattwakeman
09-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Yeah me too! Out of all the sports that were taking place this weekend this is the game that I have been waiting for the most...:)

hhiipp
09-12-2004, 07:26 PM
I did some hunting yesterday while I was bored and found the site to check for scores.

Found this. Doesn't look like the good guys had much luck. http://www.tabor.edu/athletics/program_schedule.php?id=1

Unfortunately I can't find the actual game stats anywhere.

Senator
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Guys, just got back home from the 6 hour drive.

They won 43-7 in dominant fashion. My brother had a pretty good game, with a sack that caused a turnover. Game thoughts and video clips in a little bit.

Senator
09-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Wow, a day we thought might never come, did indeed. I am just a lowly spectator, but to witness firsthand someone living a dream in front of my eyes was a thing of beauty, and something I will remember with happiness as long as I live.

It was like a dam of emotions breaking, as all the heartbreak and missed hopes to get here finally were silenced into the dark, only to leave behind the joy of opportunities fulfilled.

Being the lowly brother, I got in free, but was given the most horrible seats ever. So, I aplogize, I tried to get some good pictures and film, but I was so into watching the game I got very little.

The school reminds me of a big Texas high school in size, (not BIG like Odessa Permian, but big like a typical 5A school). The team was not expected to do well as 40 players from last year's squad left, and a bunch of unknowns, including my brother arrived.

He was a nervous as I arrived at 10 am Saturday morning. I awoke at 3 and gathered the family that were camped out around various parts of my house. When we arrived, he was studying his 60 page scouting report, and talking about the Ryan Smith, the QB he had to face and the 6'6 320 pound offensive lineman he was up against.

He said he had alot of fear about if he could even play at this level, and especially with guys 7-8 years younger. He said he had nightmares about the scene in "Everybody's All American" where the character came back after retring and played for the Denver Broncos because he missed the game so much. But the game had passed him by, and the realization of it broke his heart. He was afraid he was going to be slapped with the same realization.

To be honest, when I saw him on the defensive line, he looked tiny. I still don't think they are utilizing him in the correct position, but beggars can't be choosers. I could tell he was a little stiff early on, but as the night progressed, you could see the rust start to fall off and the instincts of a lifetime amongst the game showing itself.

The team played great, the coach is a super prepared guy, and the other team had no answer. I was about as impressed as a cynical bastard can be. As the gun sounded, the team had a surprising 43-7 win, and tears of joy were shared by all.

This morning as I packed to leave he said, "In the grand scheme of things, this is about as small potatoes as it gets. But, for all it took to get here, and for all I put my family though, I can't imagine the Super Bowl feeling this good." I liked that summation.

He was a sore boy this morning, but it was the good kind that only victory of the soul can bring.

I am pretty tired, but I threw up a few pics and his sack/fumble for those of you that were nice enough to ask and give him your well wishes. They were very appreciated by him, as well as myself.

http://braindeposit.com/game.htm

JonInMiddleGA
09-12-2004, 10:15 PM
The video brought a tear to my eye, no lie.
Absolutely outstanding.

duckman
09-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Senator, your brother moves like a cat. He is one fast SOB.

thealmighty
09-12-2004, 11:10 PM
They are UNDEFEATED!!

Tell the coach to put your brother at linebacker and watch, with 'shock and awe' as he leads them to victory after victory.

Tell your brother I will now fulfill my dream of climbing a mountain (or maybe just a Mountaneer SUV). Good stuff happens to good people. Pat him on the butt, er, back for all of us.

Thul
09-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Wow...I'm late to this story, but I'll be following it with interest now! :)

mattwakeman
09-13-2004, 02:44 AM
Yay! Mark one up for the good guys who dare to dream. Pass on the congrats to your bro from this side of the pond :)

JeeberD
09-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Awesome video, Sen. I'm happy that your bro is finally getting his chance to shine... :)

MizzouRah
09-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Very nice! I bet you're so proud!!

Todd

JAG
09-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Outstanding stuff. That strip was a thing of beauty. Please pass on my congrats and well wishes for continued success.

ur_land
09-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Amazing. Simply amazing. Best of luck to your brother, his family, and his team, and let him know that we're all pulling for him!

Senator
09-15-2004, 04:53 PM
As the weekend draws closer, I find myself wiped out from constant travel, but I gear up for another drive to Kansas. Thank God my wife totally understands this. My brother and I married some pretty wonderful girls.

Southwestern was billed as one of the top 3 pre season teams. This will be a big test for them. Was last week a fluke or the real deal? I was most impressed with the defense. They kept SWAG to a three and out scenario until late in the third quarter and also had 2 touchdowns and 5 turnovers. Anytime you do that, you are giving your offense a great chance to shine.

I will try to do better on the video/pics - I am going to try to get higher in the stands. If you want to listen to the game on the internet, I believe our opponents will have it live at:

http://www.buildersports.com/

Clay is pretty sore in the shoulder still, and I have had only a few minutes to talk to him this week. My own schedule has been a zoo. I hope to have more info before the game as regards to the scouting of Southwestern.

Senator
09-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Email Report 9-15-04

"This team this week seems very cocky and undisciplined. The QB, Bradie, is 6'7" and moves like a turtle...have to get coverage sacks on him this week, HAVE TO!

I feel like I have never been happier, for real.

Amazingly last week was good to me. I was the only one who didn't get ripped
up, and Coach Gardner made us watch the one where I tackled the RB for a
loss like 10 times and kept saying, "So Nice"

Shoulder...smoulder....I have the rest of my life to worry about that.

The team we play is supposedly on the verge of self imploding with mutiny, and what better time to put a team away than when they are at their lowest...BUT they are
dangerous...very dangerous."

Senator - Just a little note. My brother says he can't watch the clip of his sack without thinking he looks like The Waterboy.

JAG
09-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Wish I was going to be around to listen to the game. Thanks for the updates Senator.

mattwakeman
09-19-2004, 03:26 AM
Hurray. According to http://www.tabor.edu/athletics/program_schedule.php?id=1 it looks like a 22-20 win. Now all we need is the details Sen. :)

Senator
09-19-2004, 04:25 AM
It is 4:30am. I just got back home after driving all night after the game. Left this morning at 10am - arrived at 6pm - watched the game - drove home. What a day. I will update this after I catch a few winks, and download the poorest video recording ever.

stkelly52
09-19-2004, 06:17 AM
From http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12955503&BRD=1163&PAG=461&dept_id=103377&rfi=6

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Bluejays down Southwestern College 22-20
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.zwire.com/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ff9900 height=2>http://www.zwire.com/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.zwire.com/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>By: Tom Stoppel</TD><TD align=right>September 19, 2004</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.zwire.com/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ff9900 height=2>http://www.zwire.com/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.zwire.com/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Tabor College traveled to Winfield Saturday night and defeated the Moundbuilders 22-20.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://bannerads.zwire.com/bannerads/bannerad.asp?ADLOCATION=4000&PAG=461&BRD=1163&LOCALPCT=100&AREA=410&VERT=3974&NAREA=&AT=JS&barnd=527"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!-- if (parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) == 0) { document.write('<IFRAME width=\"\" MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 HSPACE=0 VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no BORDER=\"0\" BORDERCOLOR=\"#000000\" SRC="http://bannerads.zwire.com/bannerads/bannerad.asp?ADLOCATION=4000&PAG=461&BRD=1163&LOCALPCT=100&AREA=410&VERT=3974&NAREA=&AT=IF&barnd=1915"></iframe>'); } //--> </SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT> http://bannerads.zwire.com/bannerads/bannerad.asp?ADLOCATION=4000&PAG=461&BRD=1163&LOCALPCT=100&AREA=410&VERT=3974&NAREA=&barnd=3380 ("") </NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ricky Ishida scored on a 1-yd quarterback keeper to give Tabor a 7-0 lead with 5:04 to play in the first quarter.

After Southwestern tied the game at 7, Ishida hit Mike Beach with a 20-yd touchdown pass, but the extra point sailed wide left giving the Bluejays a 13-7 lead which they took into the halftime locker room.

The Tabor defense got into the scoring act in the third quarter as they tackled Southwestern in the end zone for a safety and a 15-7 lead.

After Southwestern cut the margin to 15-13, Tabor stretched the lead to 22-13 on an Ishida to Ben Brown touchdown pass of 3 yards.

Southwestern scored again with just 1:13 to play to make the final score 22-20.
Ishida was 16-30 for 176 yards while Roger Butler scorched the Moundbuilder defense for 176 yards on 32 carries.
Tabor returns home next Saturday night to host Sterling College beginning at 7:00 at Reimer Field.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Senator
09-19-2004, 07:47 PM
For those that are still following this thread, a few thoughts.

First, the Southwestern campus and the town of Winfield is a beautiful place. My wife and I fell in love with it. I wish I had known about it back when I was younger, I wouldn't have minded going to school there I don't think.

Southwestern came out fired up, and I could tell they were wanting this game pretty badly. Tabor, to me, looked flat from the start. I don't know if they were still in big win mindset from last week, but you could see a difference in swagger. It was a humid evening, and I noticed alot of cramping taking place.

Tabor looked better on the field, but kept shooting themselves in the foot. A holding penalty after a 36 yard gain to the Southwestern 1, was called back. Two red zone misses, and a fumble at the Southwestern 2 kept them in it all the way through.

Things that stood out:

1) Impressive athletic ability at this level. There are some real quality guys, and the hitting was just really vicious.

2) The 6'7 QB for Southwestern had a nice little dump pass option every time he was threatened with a sack. It worked all game long.

3) 46 Tyler McKim LB 6'1 225 JR Red Bluff, CA is a monster. That kid is amazing.

4) Last week Tabor took the spirit away from SWAG. You could see it in their eyes, they gave up. Southwestern never gave up, and almost pulled out a win. My brother said he feels like they just missed a bullet.

5) The team lost 4-5 starters to some various injuries. The main one is to DT John Ohm, who rotates with my brother. His knee blew out in the third, and it was 3 sizes bigger at games end. If it is season ending, my brother will be expected to play almost the whole game without a break.

6) Butler - our running back reminds me of Quentin Griffin. Tough little runner.

Here is a link with a clip of my favorite play of the night from my brother. He ended up with 4 tackles, 3 assist, and 3 hurries but I liked this one because he did everthing right. Fired off the ball, fought through a couple of blockers and finished off the running back with help from his teammates.

He has gone from just wanting to make the team for a memory, to being a big part of it's success. This has been a nice month for our family.

http://www.braindeposit.com/dream.html

MizzouRah
09-19-2004, 09:38 PM
He's looking really good. Thanks for the update!! Hopefully Ohm will make it back to the team sometime this year.

Todd

Eaglesfan27
09-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Excellent news. Great video. I look forward to more updates.

JeeberD
09-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Awesome, congrats on the win!

Flasch186
09-20-2004, 07:18 PM
just got caught up....great job. Im rooting for you. Do they ever come to Florida?

Senator
09-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Report from Tabor: 9-20-04

Preliminary Injury Report:

Out for sure this week...

Defense - DT John Ohm (Torn ACL & MCL pending tomm MRI), MLB Brent
Overmiller (Severe Concussion)

Offense - RB Roger "Quintin Griffith" Butler (ankles)

Special Teams - Deep Snapper John Ohm, Punt Returner Caleb Marsh (dislocated
shoulder)

We have several other players playing through pain like your boy Tyler McKim
(bruised tailbone) and SS CJ Hill (knee contusion).

We play a Nebraska type option team this week with me switching over from DT
to Nose to replace Ohm, probably for the rest of the season. We need to dig
deep because as long as we have a 0 in the loss column teams will be hunting
for us, plus this conference is up for grabs. Freakin Bethany upset a top 25
team this week by 40+ points. The time for me to be in awe is over, it's
time to start being an animal up front.

kingnebwsu
09-20-2004, 10:25 PM
This is a place where people can understand what your brother is doing. Not many people in the world understand that itch...that competitive urge. The desire to finish something you've started. Hopefully he continues to tear it up!!! :):):)

mattwakeman
09-21-2004, 02:51 AM
The time for me to be in awe is over, it's
time to start being an animal up front.

This is why American Football is such a strange game from this side of the pond. In most any other sport this kind of attitude would have you marked out as being some kind of psycho! Congrats to the team and your bro though Sen. Its great to see them doing well.

Senator
09-21-2004, 06:09 AM
This is why American Football is such a strange game from this side of the pond. In most any other sport this kind of attitude would have you marked out as being some kind of psycho! Congrats to the team and your bro though Sen. Its great to see them doing well.

Yes, I can see where someone might think that! What he means is that he believes he is hesitating at the position because he is still in awe at being on the field at all. He is playing a brand new position, and he knows he is not giving it all that the position requires. He feels now the time has come to say, "ok the rust has been knocked off, and I am really here so I need to be aggessive every play and do better than what I have."

Defensive Line is a battlefield. Every play there is contact with the biggest guys on the field. If you are not mentally prepared to accept this and return in kind the punishment you are going to take, you are going to get beat.

mattwakeman
09-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Must require some real mental stuff because just looking at the footage you can see how much your bro is outgunned in a physical sense. Better hope that all the extra playing time coming his way due to the injuries aren't going to wear him down too quickly. Just too tough a game...

Senator
09-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Exactly my thoughts. The guy is perfect linebacker size, but they are so limited on the DL that he is basically playing in an emergency capacity there. His speed is his greatest hope to get by the linemen, who are all over 300 pounds that he has faced.

SirFozzie
09-21-2004, 11:40 AM
did you see the story about the 39 year old suiting up for South Carolina? It's on today's ESPN page.

Both people get much props from me

JeeberD
09-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Strange that they're putting an undersized DL in at nose...it's going to be difficult for him to utilize his speed there, won't it?

Senator
09-21-2004, 04:23 PM
JeeberD,

Who knows? I think we all think so, but this coach seems to know what he is doing, so I am just going to watch and report. I think this will be a tough game for Clay.

JonInMiddleGA
09-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Strange that they're putting an undersized DL in at nose...it's going to be difficult for him to utilize his speed there, won't it?

FWIW, I don't quite understand the how/why of it, but it's a tactic I've seen used several times to pretty good success at the upper high school level in Georgia.

And just FTR, I'm not for a minute making any real comparison between any college level & Class AAAA in Georgia -- I'm just sayin' I've seen this sort of thing work from time to time. Apparently it's a case of the speed/quick being able to generate the occasional sack while hoping they can hold their own against the run.

FrogMan
09-21-2004, 05:37 PM
to me, I'd think it's not only a question of speed, as of quickness, quickness of his hands, especially, in order to shed the block and get to the play. That tackle off the block was a good example of that. One thing that shouldn't happen and should help him is, other teams may not have a big tendency on double teaming him. That way he can sometimes get away from the big one in front of him and generate the surprise sack, as JIMG refered to...

Anyway, this is still a great read, best of luck to your bro Senator!

FM

mattwakeman
09-21-2004, 05:48 PM
But won't the opposition simply run staight at him all game long? Speed won't be that much of an advantage if it comes down to brute force and strength.

Senator
09-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Maybe that is the reason. He is the strongest guy on the team in terms of bench press, and one of the fastest guys on the team in the 40, so he is a really strange athlete.

I will be really interested to see what happens, and whatever the outcome, good or bad, I will tell it like it is. One thing I have learned over the years, people who underestimate my brother always seem to regret it later. That has inclulded myself at times, but I have learned better.

But I have yet to see a guy 230 lbs dominate the inside of the defensive line. But this is important, DL is the shallowest depth on the team, they have no choice but to put him there, there is no one else that I can see that can do it. I wish Ohm was ok, he and my brother were a pretty good combo. What a shame.

Glengoyne
09-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Just wanting to pile on the bandwagon here.

Great Story Senator! Tell your brother he has another fan.

Fonzie
09-22-2004, 10:52 PM
My shoulder hurts just reading this.

Give my best to your brother, Senator.

mattwakeman
09-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Can anybody say 3-0?!?! That '0' just keeps on looking sweeter and sweeter Sen. Looking forward to the details as and when...:)

Senator
09-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Yes, 3-0 but they have alot of work to do and the true test arrives in the form of six weeks against opponents that will win if turnovers are not toned down. Full report later, here is the highlight reel.

http://www.braindeposit.com/dream.htm

JonInMiddleGA
09-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Damn Sen, great job on the Sterling highlight reel.

Bro's reaction on the last play in the clip says it all -- that ain't no old man ...
that's a football player.

CamEdwards
09-26-2004, 11:17 PM
awesome. Awesome awesome awesome. I'm really glad you (and your brother) are keeping up with this.

MizzouRah
09-26-2004, 11:56 PM
Wow, he's playing really well. Good luck next week!!!

Todd

thealmighty
09-27-2004, 02:32 AM
Move over, Robert Rodriguez.

Oscar.Award.Winner. :D

mattwakeman
09-27-2004, 02:55 AM
Nice highlight reel mate :) What an awesome tackle for the loss as well. You could see right there all the advantages that he gets for his size as he just blew past the guard. Looking mighty fine...

Senator
09-27-2004, 09:18 AM
The quality is so poor because:

1. I suck
2. I made the mpg internet download friendly
3. I was tired and in a hurry

So, here is my thoughts and comments for the game against Sterling.

Sterling is a team that is on the rise, but still a low quality opponent. They were classy and played with alot of heart. Tabor played very poorly for the second straight week. 5 turnovers with 9 minutes to go in the second quarter will not win you many games. Neither will 3 missed extra points, and 3 missed field goals. The next 6 games are all against quality opponents and they will lose those games if they do not shore up some problem areas.

1. The secondary is a sieve. Sterling came into the game averaging 8 passes a game. They completed 18 in this game and threw 27. The corners are not strong at man or playing the outside on the option.

2. The receivers drop way to many passes.

3. The defensive line is hurt and has no depth. (The now legendary John Ohm played sparingly this week, refusing to have an MRI done. He wears a giant brace and tape out there. Gutsy kid, but I hated to see him out there that injured.)

4. The RB is good, but he put the ball on the ground 4 times. Not so good.

5. The QB is also good, but his girlfriend just came in to town from California, to move in with him and he has 3 picks this week. Hope it is not a trend.

Positives:

1. Won the game

2. When Sterling looked like they were mounting a comeback, Tabor took care of business with a long drive and some points.

3. They do have talent, and if they can pull it together could be a playoff team.

Clay had a really good game. He had another 5 tackles I didn't have time to put on the clip. He was really pumped up, as my dad attended this game. It was the first time our dad saw him play since high school, so it was a pretty cool thing.

The center from Sterling was a kid from our hometown, but 10 years younger. That was a pretty awesome thing to see. Sitting in a beautiful town in Kansas on a Saturday night, watching two guys from our hometown in Texas go at it for 48 minutes.

He seems to be getting stronger, which is good to see. The coach told the players the main reason my brother is outlasting all the other guys and avoiding injury is how well in shape he came into the season. There is merit to that, I guess. Some of it is just luck, you can't always know when an injury will happen.

His shoulder still hurts, and he has the worst bruises I have ever seen on his arms and legs. Sunday, he was pretty sore.

The drive is wearing on me every weekend, and my job required me to make an emergency visit to Wichita while I was there, but this has been pretty fun overall, and I hope someday we can look back at this as a great time in our lives.

Senator
10-01-2004, 08:38 AM
This week is KWU. What I am hearing is this is a bitter rivalry and the two coaches bitterly dislike each other for reasons unknown.

I am taking my sister, brother-in-law and two young nephews to this game, and they will see him play for the first time. Everyone is pretty excited about that.

My brother said the coach told him I could have a sideline pass if I wanted to better film the games or whatever. I guess he has seen my shoddy seating and poor video work first hand to offer up something like that. I am not sure I am going to do it. I really am trying to distance myself from having any kind of interplay in what happens. I don't really want my brother even being able to look over and see me there on the sidelines. I want him to focus on the game, and not worry about what I am doing. Which, I think he would anyway, but I would hate to cause any problems.

The game is supposed to be webcast through audio and video over the internet at KWU.

Links:

http://www.ksallink.com/SchoolSchedule.cfm?action=42

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/

JeeberD
10-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Wow, just saw last weeks highlights. Some very, very nice hits in that game...

Senator
10-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Victory. 21-6.

They stand 4-0 and 19th in the country in rankings. Toughest weeks ahead.

JeeberD
10-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Rock on.

mattwakeman
10-03-2004, 12:59 PM
Congrats again :)

Senator
10-03-2004, 08:13 PM
It was a cold night in Salina, Kansas. This game was the homecoming game for KWU and I had to remind myself that Tabor was expected to finish 8th and second to last in the entire conference. This team is defying all expectations.

But before we buy tickets to the playoffs, it is important to remember the games ahead.

Friends
Ottawa
Bethany
Bethel
McPhereson

This 5 game stretch is the murderer's row of games for Tabor. To this point, they have not really been tested. They will from this point on. They are playing well. Big Country (the anchor of the offensive line) was knocked out as well as the leading receiver Mike Beach. John OoooooooHm continues to play with a blown out knee. I have really never seen someone gut it up like this kid has. I don't understand the wisdom, but I admire the courage.

My brother's shoulder is really messed up. He finally let me look at it after the game. There is something wrong there. He refuses to get an MRI. Playing with injury is part of football, but I could tell this week he was hurting. He had another good game, and there is already mention of all conference honors lining up. The offensive coordinator challenged my brother Thursday to race his receivers in the 40. He beat all but one. He wants him to go both ways either playing fullback or tight end, much more natural positions for Clay.

But the head coach vetoes it, so far. He wants him tearing up the middle, and is concerned with tiring him out. He pulled him aside earlier this week and complimented him on playing a position he has never played before and losing an average of 70 pounds each game to his opponents. They are also double teaming him more as the weeks go by. Clay hates it. The coach said, "I KNEW you could play that position, because you are an athlete, it doesn't matter where I line you up!"

Each time I see him, he is more sore and bruised than the week before. He looks like he has been in a car wreck.

Six more weeks and he can rest all he wants, or gear up for the dream playoff run.

Thanks for those who follow this dynasty.

I taped very little this game, I was cold as could be and spent alot of time shivering. I decided to not stay on the sidelines quite yet.

video - www.braindeposit.com/dream.html

mattwakeman
10-04-2004, 02:54 AM
Nice video Sen. Particular fave moments have to be when Clay is getting fronted-up by #79 who doesn't look all that happy and the guy in the hat with the beer living in his own little world of football and fun!

I take it that Clay has now been fully accepted by the rest of the team to the point where they no longer think of his age but his contributions on the field. Out of interest though is he still living in awe of what he is doing (so to speak) or has his perspective changed and he is just taking it week by week?

Nice intro and fade though mate! Congrats to your bro and his teammates again :)

Senator
10-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Nice video Sen. Particular fave moments have to be when Clay is getting fronted-up by #79 who doesn't look all that happy and the guy in the hat with the beer living in his own little world of football and fun!

I take it that Clay has now been fully accepted by the rest of the team to the point where they no longer think of his age but his contributions on the field. Out of interest though is he still living in awe of what he is doing (so to speak) or has his perspective changed and he is just taking it week by week?

I like those moments as well. I sat on KWU's side because I wanted to get a good position this week to film, and I saw #79 getting yelled at by his coach because Clay kept busting through the hole. I like that little clip because you can see #79 so frustrated he hits Clay after the whistle, and Clay with his 230 pound frame walking up to the 300 pounder and saying, "You are going to pay for that one, buddy." It was funny, he schooled the guy the whole game.

The guy dancing was a KWU fan who progressively got more and more drunk the entire game. I thought it was hilarious watching him lose his senses over the course of the game.

The rest of the team has fully accepted him. They don't call him "pops" anymore. They only call him "Colonel", because of is military background and our last name. After the game, when I was talking to him, every guy on the team made a point of walking over and saying "good game" to him. You can see they have alot of respect for him, and it is nice to see him acting in a way to deserve it.

I am very concerned how his shoulder will hold up. He cancelled his last MRI, for fear the doctors would sit him out, but I think it has got to the point where something needs to be done.

johnnyshaka
10-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Senator...one of the best threads I've read in a long time...WOW!!!! Pass on my well wishes and congrats to your brother and his very supportive family (you are of course included!!).

I, too, am a big brother and also watched my little brother make some questionable decisions while growing up...not like I'm void of bad decisions, but you get the point...and squandered a potential future in professional hockey. After picking up the pieces, he finally decided to kill two birds with one stone and play hockey while going to university. After four years of hard work, he left school with a degree and an oppurtunity to play hockey in Europe. It's not the NHL...but, it's hockey and you're getting paid.

Anyways, after milling it over in his head for some time, he couldn't really come to a consensus so he lobbied his big brother, me, for advice.

Long story short, he spent a year in Europe playing hockey and actually loved it. The hockey was not all that good but the experience and all the travelling he did was well worth the trip. And like you, I couldn't wait to talk to my brother after a big game and get all the details...because it's always nice to live vicariously through somebody you know and love.

Senator
10-07-2004, 07:28 PM
9 out of 11 journalist pick Friends over Tabor this week.

The true test is on.

Senator
10-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Senator...one of the best threads I've read in a long time...WOW!!!! Pass on my well wishes and congrats to your brother and his very supportive family (you are of course included!!).

Thanks man, I will pass it along. He loves hearing from people that understand why he is doing what he is doing.

That is pretty damn cool about your own brother. When old age comes, what a nice memory to have.

Senator
11-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Catching up

Tabor 26 Friends 22
Tabor 24 Ottawa 14
Tabor 43 Bethel 42 2OT
Tabor 30 McPherson 14

RECORD 8-0
Remaining:
Bethany
St. Mary's
playoffs

2004 KCAC Champions - first time in school history

Senator
11-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Clay went to the doctor last night. He has a tear in his groin and one on his abdominal
wall. The doctor said he would need surgery at some point. He is in alot of pain. The coach talked to him about sitting out the last two games to be rested for the playoffs, but Clay does not want to miss "any" time at all. Every play is closer to his last, and I think he is not ready for it to end.

He is supposed to call me Friday and let me know if I need to drive up there, or sit it out.

Senator
11-06-2004, 01:29 PM
In 1994, before he decided to go into the military, Clay and I drove to Lindsborg, Kansas. There sat a school called Bethany. It was coached by a man who was an NAIA legend. Ted Kessinger.

Coach Kessinger's Team Records vs. KCAC Schools (through 2003 season)
Bethel College 25-3
Friends University 25-3
Kansas Wesleyan University 24-5
McPherson College 25-3
Ottawa University 17-8-1
Sterling College 25-3
St. Mary College 4-0
Southwestern College 19-9
Tabor College 25-3
Total 189-37-1

He offered Clay a full ride, like other schools had. We went back home, and his girlfriend spent most of the week crying that they would have to split up because it was too far away. He decided not to go, join the military, get married. You know the rest.

Coach Kessinger retired the year before last. When coach Gardner recruited Clay this past year, and he went to Kansas to meet with him, they had lunch with Coach Kessinger. Almost 9 years later he remembered Clay. Kessinger brought with him his scouting paperwork, his highlight tape, and a file thick with info he had compiled of Clay way back in 1994.

Today, even though I advised him not to, Clay has decided to play against Bethany. For him, this game holds alot of demons. Of opportunities missed, and opportunities now taken. It is to put the dagger into the stomach of regret. We all have our psychological crossroads, where we know a decision we made took us to a different path. Bethany represents that for Clay, so he has decided to play.

Senator
11-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Are you F-ing kidding me?

This game goes to a 2nd overtime for the 2nd week in a row. Just like last week we are down 28-21 with a 4th and 10 to convert. We do, and score. And just like last week, we have the option of kicking the extra point or going for 2. We go for 2. And the RB is stopped short. The dream season ruined. 28-27 Bethany.

Tabor goes to 8-1 on the season with this loss.

JeeberD
11-06-2004, 05:02 PM
:(

mattwakeman
11-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Damn, that hurts. Fair play to the coach for going for the win. Still, a great season already though.

johnnyshaka
11-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Missed hearing about Clay while the board was down...and even sadder to hear he's got some pretty serious injuries. Serious is relative...but, his injuries will be nagging ones that will take time to heal...and unfortunately, in this dream, time is running short...which is really too bad.

How is Clay feeling these days??

Senator
11-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Tonight we had our weekly talk. This game against St. Mary becomes a playoff game. They are ranked 19th. Only the top 16 teams make the playoffs. They dropped from #12 to #19 with a 1 point loss in double overtime. I felt that was a little harsh, but I am overtly bias.

Because they won the conference, they bump someone from the top 16 if they are in the top 20. So, basically this game becomes the game that will determine if they go to the playoffs.

I wasn't going to drive up, but circumstances being what they are, I guess I will make the 20 hour round trip this weekend.

He is a little better on the injury front. He did not play (suited up but did not play) in the loss to Bethany. He really feels guilty about that. The coach had an hour talk with him yesterday about playing, asking Clay if he had another few weeks in him. He said he did. So, he is going to start this weekend and see how far it goes. He is wearing a girdle type contraption that really helps with the groin tear. He has also been on electronic stimulation machines all week, and now he just feels sore. A marked improvement over feeling nothing but pain.

He says the guys are tired. You can see it in their faces. They go to school all day and have practice from 4-10 every night and games on Saturdays. You can really tell it is tiring them out. He said it has been really hard on his wife and kids, and even though this has been one of the best experiences he ever had, he knows it will be better for his family when it is over. He will have one more year elgibility to play, but he is really considering going out on top, with a conference win and a shot at the playoffs. His only regret is playing hurt, as he wanted to have a clean run through and not be slowed by an injury, but as we all know, you can't plan those things.

So, to sum up. This weekend will determine a playoff run or not. If they do win and get a playoff berth, speculation is they will play #5 Lindenwood in St. Louis who is 10-0 or #4 Northwestern Oklahoma State who is 9-1 and only lost to the #1 team this year. Either game would be a big hurdle.

St. Mary is the tough team this week, though. They like to air it out, and as Bethany showed, our secondary and turnovers are our weak spots.

MizzouRah
11-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Good luck!

Lindenwood is only 30 miles from me, so I'll goto the game if it comes to that. Maybe we'll get to meet?

Todd

johnnyshaka
11-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Glad to hear Clay is feeling a little better...but, I'm sure he's really pissed about being hurt...especially with a really big game coming up.

About the abdominal injury...a buddy of mine had a similar injury...oddly enough he was playing football as well...the pain was constant no matter which way he sat, laid down, or stood. After trying several types of treatment, it finally came down to rest and time off and after about a year he could finally say that he didn't feel any pain whatsoever. Hopefully Clay's injury isn't as serious.

Wish him luck and have a safe trip!!!

Senator
11-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Here in Kansas.....

Tabor just beat St. Mary 30-29 on a blocked extra point. At 1pm tomorrow they announce the playoffs. Hopefully a conference championship and a 9-1 record will get us in.. cross your fingers.

thealmighty
11-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Congrats on the BIG win.

Since this is the first ever conference championship, does that mean Tabor has never been in the playoffs before, either?

3ric
11-14-2004, 02:01 AM
Wo-hoo! \o/

mattwakeman
11-14-2004, 04:08 AM
Sweet!

Fonzie
11-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Rock on!

JeeberD
11-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Awesome news!

hhiipp
11-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Looks like they got in:

http://www.naia.org/football/ratings/2004/final.html

Alf
11-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Congrats to Clay and his teammates !

Senator
11-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks to all.

I just made the drive home. I fly out tomorrow night to NY for work and get home on Thursday night late. Then I get up and drive to.....

Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The #1 team in the country. Nice, huh? Well, I have never been to South Dakota, so this should be a grand old time.

duckman
11-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks to all.

I just made the drive home. I fly out tomorrow night to NY for work and get home on Thursday night late. Then I get up and drive to.....

Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The #1 team in the country. Nice, huh? Well, I have never been to South Dakota, so this should be a grand old time.
Okay, I'm confused. Shouldn't Tabor be heading to #2 St. Francis (Ind) since they are they are the 15th ranked team?

JeeberD
11-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Do the NCAA Tournament seedings always follow the ranking? Nope, and I doubt the seeding for this tournament are based strictly on rankings...

Senator
11-14-2004, 03:52 PM
It is not determined that way.

How are sites and pairings made for the NAIA Football Championship Series?Teams in the NAIA Football Championships Series will not be ranked or bracketed. Site selection for each round of the championship series is based on the following; Availability of a quality facility; potential income; cost factors; enthusiasm for hosting; competitive events in the area and weather considerations. The pairings are determined by the following; geographical location of teams in the championship series; financial considerations and final ranking.

Senator
11-14-2004, 03:57 PM
READ - FINANCIAL

Tabor is the poorest college. Send the kids to their doom and get them out of the way as soon as possible to get the bigger and wealthier schools generating the real cash cow games in the later rounds.

duckman
11-14-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Jeeber and Senator. :)

JAG
11-14-2004, 06:09 PM
READ - FINANCIAL

Tabor is the poorest college. Send the kids to their doom and get them out of the way as soon as possible to get the bigger and wealthier schools generating the real cash cow games in the later rounds.

Hopefully they put that up in their locker room this week. :)

Senator
11-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Just a quick hitter -

www.braindeposit.com/dream.html

hhiipp
11-14-2004, 08:35 PM
#79 on St Marys sure was a big boy.

Senator
11-14-2004, 09:08 PM
I notice every team he has played have lineman all 6-6 or taller and all over 300 pounds. I would have never thought NAIA would have that kind of size but it is really common.

MizzouRah
11-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Funny thing on my way to Bellevue, Nebraska today.. I saw a sign off of I-29 that said Exit 24 --> Tabor 7 miles.

Kind of shocked me to know I was that close to Tabor and I wished there was a game there this weekend.

Todd

Senator
11-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Actually Tabor is in Hillsboro, Kansas.... so you might have the wrong place.

I leave for NY at 5am tomorrow and then back home Thursday at 10pm - up at 5am Friday to fly to St.Paul and then South Dakota. I got a few hotel rooms at the Sheraton for the family that is at the site of the game. So, we will wake up Saturday and walk a few yards to the game. Maybe if it is freezing and snowing I will stay in my room and watch. :)

Any of you guys in the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area on Saturday let me know and we will watch the game together..... no one? Didn't think so.

This is going to possibly be a massacre. We are so outmatched it is not even funny. The 35 sportswriters polled all picked #1 Sioux Falls winning by no less than 35 and by as many as 70. Sigh.

Oh well, guess we should see it to its end, huh? Remember when I started this thread? We were not even sure he would follow through or even make the team. Now, here we are after a great season about to play the #1 team in the (naia) nation in the championship playoffs. It has been a chain of events I never would have predicted.

Thanks to all that follow and pray for our safe trip and the biggest upset in the history of sports. :)

MizzouRah
11-15-2004, 07:23 PM
I think I am wrong. :( It was Tabor, Iowa.

Anyhow, good luck!!

Todd

JeeberD
11-16-2004, 01:22 AM
I feel an upset coming on... :)

Eaglesfan27
11-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Me too. Good luck to your brother and the team! :)

Senator
11-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Ok, got back from NYC and now packing for the flight to South Dakota. But this isn't about me.

Not alot of people are giving Tabor much of a shot, and for good reason. They are touting that they outweigh our D Line by an average of 60 pounds per man. I am sure Clay is killing that average. This makes me feel like they are going to try to run on us. I hope this is the strategy. Every team that has tried this has failed. But those that throw - LIGHT US UP! And they have the weapons to do it.

Game Starters:
U. of Sioux Falls

POS ## OFFENSE
QB 9 Wright, Joe
TB 26 Dvoracek, M.
FB 36 Erickson, Jake
SE 84 Hovorka, Dusty
FL 5 Johnson, C.
TE 89 Southwick, John
LT 69 Olson, Vinnie
LG 74 Schwebach, B.
C 52 Grogan, Thomas
RG 78 Neu, Scott
RT 79 Peterson, Nick

POS ## DEFENSE
DL 32 Bear, Nick
DL 99 Jensen, G.
DL 92 Quaile, Darren
DL 87 Fenceroy, J.
LB 58 Appel, Jason
LB 48 Eben, Curtis
LB 54 Spade, Jake
DB 3 McDougle, R.
DB 22 Uresk, Jonathan
DB 31 Glasco, Jason
DB 2 Herda, Trent

On offense, other than their gargantuan line, the studs are #26 on the ground and #84 in the air. I fear #84 the most. That kid could have 200 yards receiving and 4 TDS if we don't put some bodies on him.

Defensively #48 is supposed to be the baddest LB ever to wear NAIA cleats.

Well, the next time I write will probably be the last entry of this thread. Or maybe not. Stranger things have happened.

And just for fun, he DOES have one year of elgibility left. How about we do this all again next year? :)

JeeberD
11-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Can't wait to see how this game plays out... :)

hhiipp
11-21-2004, 10:09 AM
I just looked at the final score and all I can say is, ouch. Pretty impressive season, hate to see it tainted by such an onslaught.

St. Francis (Ind.) def.Morningside (Iowa), 53-3Georgetown (Ky.) def.Trinity International (Ill.), 35-21
Azusa Pacific (Calif.) def. Northwestern Oklahoma State, 16-0
Sioux Falls (S.D.) def. Tabor (Kan.), 72-11
Carroll (Mont.) def. Mary (N.D.), 24-14
MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) def. McKendree (Ill.), 21-20
Hastings (Neb.) def. Lindenwood (Mo.), 20-19
Dickinson State (N.D.) def. Montana Tech, 30-13

3ric
11-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Crap.

Icy
11-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Ouch, anyway the dream became true, congrats to your brother Senator, he had the nuts of putting 100% on his dream and he made it a reallity, he should be an example for all us. You and his familly can be really proud of him but i know you're :)
And now...let's see next year!

mattwakeman
11-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Easy to say from a distance but I hope that this final result does not take away the pride that your brother should feel for what he has managed to achieve.

Senator
11-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Guys,

I just got back into town, and I can see the score is now known. What can I say? They are #1 in the nation for a reason. Whatever they wanted to do, they did it. But, Tabor was truly a small fry without much of a chance. The reason I like NAIA is because unlike Division 1, even the small fry gets a chance if they do what it takes to get there.

Clay knew the chances were slim, but he did not want it to end the way it did. As a family, we have never been a part of a score like this, but as you guys said, the purpose of all this was to do something he loved with all his heart and decided to go against some long odds and difficult obstacles to achieve. I haven't had a chance to talk to him, as I have been on planes, but I know after all this is said and done, this last game will not diminish the memories of the whole.

As for my family, this has been something we never thought we would see again; Clay playing football. As much as I played, and as decent as I was, he was always great, and I never knew how much I missed watching him play, because when you see someone do something they really love, you can almost see the joy oozing out of them when they do it. That is the way football is for him.

My brother and I appreciate all the support from the guys who have followed this dynasty this season. Especially in the early days and at two a days, your words really helped him hone in on why he was there. He wasn't only playing for himself, he was playing for every guy who loves this beautiful sport and thought just maybe he had enough gas to go one more lap. So, thank you all.

Now, it is time to get well, and spend some time with that great wife and kids of his that supported him most of all.

hhiipp
11-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Has he mentioned suiting up next season or really given it much thought? Or will it be a heal up, talk to his family, and decide from there, Roger Clemons, type situation?

JonInMiddleGA
11-22-2004, 09:10 AM
{stands up}
{applauds}
{for a very long time}

MizzouRah
11-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks for providing us a visual of what your brother has went through. Truly amazing season and I bet you are all proud of him.

Todd

Senator
11-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Has he mentioned suiting up next season or really given it much thought? Or will it be a heal up, talk to his family, and decide from there, Roger Clemons, type situation?

Well, he either has to play or assistant coach to receive money for his scholarship to finish out his degree. I think the coach is going to push him to play, and I guess alot will depend on what his wife thinks, and his body reacts to a rest. Plus, he says he WILL NOT play DT next year. Just about any other position on the field would be a better fit. The guy lost 20 pounds over the course of the season. We will wait and see. Later I will put up a great picture from his last game of the guy that was over him. Clay helped him up after a play and when the guy stood up, Clay's head was about at his belly button.

Senator
11-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Check out the monster he played against. Clay is right at 6 foot tall.

BIG SIOUX FALLS LINEMAN (http://braindeposit.com/big.WMV)

MizzouRah
11-23-2004, 06:11 PM
I wonder what that guy eats? :)

Todd

hhiipp
11-24-2004, 08:13 AM
I can't help but laugh.. the top of Clay's helmet barely reaches the bottom of the other guys facemask. Hopefully he'll suit up next year, cause that'll make for a much better read than him being an assistant coach. :)

Buzzbee
11-24-2004, 02:14 PM
{stands up}
{applauds}
{for a very long time}
{still applauding}

{looks around}
{sees everyone is gone}
.{darts out the back}

thealmighty
11-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks for letting me/us be a part of this adventure. It sure did make football saturdays that much more interesting.

Maybe now I WILL climb Everest

(that's Lisa Everest, head varsity cheerleader senior year).

Senator
12-12-2004, 09:59 AM
And Now..............

Followup News:

I am going to post here periodically as news warrants as we head into next season where a new mystery will unfold.

First - Medical News......
Clay has spent the better part of 2 weeks visiting doctors on the different ailments he suffered at the hands of father time and the KCAC.
Here is what they have said.
Groin and Abdomen - Slight tear in both that will heal over the course of the next 6 months. It is the same injury LT had in San Diego, but he is 23 and his recovery time only took about 6 weeks.
Shoulder - Will eventually need to have surgery to clean it out, but it has healed nicely to the point there is no pain.
Pelvis - after x-rays it was determined his pelvis had been knocked out of whack, and this resulted in his right side being shorter than the left. It was painfully put back into position and Clay immediately felt better.
Feet - He notoriously since youth has worn extra tight shoes too small for his feet because he says it makes him feel faster. The doctor said he needed to add some cushion to his right heel and it would make a huge difference in his balance and ability to accelerate. So far, it has.

It is amazing he played the whole season beat up like this. Most football players do, but he had been out so long, this had to be tough on him.

Last Friday night he had his meeting with the coach to get sized for his conference championship ring. His coach asked if he wanted gold or silver. My brother said if they had went undefeated, then he would choose the gold, but he felt they hadn't earned the gold so he would choose the silver ring. The coach said that is exactly what he told his wife.

Then they discussed next season. The coach wanted Clay to gain 30 pounds. Clay entered two a days last year about 235. Today, he weighed 220. Clay told him he couldn't do it. He couldn't maintain that kind of weight because his metabolism just wouldn't do when he works out. The coach said, "well you could play defensive end, but we have Ohm and Ven Diesal projected there and they are also both 6'5 and as you know that is a position that needs some height." Clay agreed, and said, "I think we are pretty set on defense, am I limited to playing on that side of the ball?" The coach looked at him for a long time and said, "Fullback would work." Clay smiled, and said, "My natural position is receiver. I played that in high school. It is easier for me to trim down than bulk up, and you know I still have speed to be a possession receiver." The coach said, "In my mind I can still kick 50 yard field goals as well, but you are not in high school anymore. Do you know how gassed you would be running that much. I don't know Clay, I am going to let you decide, and I will monitor your workouts. Show me something by March and we will talk about it. We are down to one receiver. Marsh transferred to Texas Tech and Beach got busted for drinking by the administration, he is gone. (the athletes sign a "life choice" agreement when they go to Tabor).

So, there you have it. He wants to go from DL to WR. I shook my head. Tried to talk to him about the obvious cons. Told him it would be horrible to sit on the bench his last year. Then he said, "C'mon bro, when have I ever sat on the bench? I will win the position."

And I guess he probably will. If you had told me he would start at DT all year at 235 and under, I would have called you a fool. If he says he will get in WR shape and play that, who the heck am I at this point the think he can't do it.

It would be nice. Maybe he can get back to THIS LEVEL (#25). (http://www.braindeposit.com/high2.WMV) I guess we will find out soon enough. All but one play of that clip was his game his senior year against the #1 team in the nation - Southlake Carroll. Funny, as I write this, they are the #1 team in the nation today as well as they were back then.

Icy
12-13-2004, 06:59 AM
Great!! we will have a new season! With his determination i'm sure he will be the best WR in his team in March. Come one Clay, recover from the injuries, enjoy with your awesome familly and workout hard to get the WR spot next year, i'm sure you will!!

CamEdwards
12-13-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm rooting for him!

MizzouRah
12-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Great news!

Thanks for the clip!!

Todd

JAG
12-17-2004, 08:17 AM
A little late but...that's pretty cool. If he isn't able to make it at WR for whatever reason, I wonder if he'd be able to play safety or maybe corner.

thealmighty
12-17-2004, 09:11 AM
If he did that well on the D-line, I would think the coaching staff would be begging him to play LB, especially with his speed.

3ric
12-17-2004, 11:37 AM
I really thought he'd play LB, actually. If the coach wants him to play FB, he can be a Larry Centers-type back with his pass catching ability, that'd be cool too.

Senator
01-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Bumped to be recalled when needed.

Icy
01-13-2005, 10:29 AM
I just noticed I lost a star rating for this thread. I had 5 and went down to 4. Is it because they lost I wonder or are you guys tired of the dynasty?

I just voted to give you the missing star :) This is my favorite dynasty at this board and i'm really waiting to see what will do you brother next season.
Btw, any other update about his future plans?

Senator
01-13-2005, 10:56 AM
He is in full recovery mode. Orders not to work out at all until mid February. That groin tear is a bitch to recover from it seems.

He is down to 216. Bound and determined to be a receiver.

On another note, the financial burden of all this really has hit home. Our family did a pooling of funds to help them through Christmas and the New Year. He is in classes this semester and working after school to get them back in the black financially.

His body needs to heal itself, and then he begins the Jerry Rice workouts to get in running shape.

Radii
01-14-2005, 03:22 PM
I just caught up on this after having not perused the Dynasty Forum consistantly in quite some time... one of the best threads ever on this board, easily. Playing videos on my PC at work would probably get noticed, I can't wait to get home tonight and go through the videos you have up!

aran
01-15-2005, 12:58 PM
This is a truely incredible dynasty. Your brother is quite a man. I'm sure he's earned a hell of a lot of respect from his family and friends for doing something s incredible. He ran a 4.4 forty.. that's unbelievable! he is REALLY fast. I would also have made him a linebacker. He could really dominate the running game AND be decent in coverage with that speed.

Good luck to him in his rcovery and work-outs for WR next season! I'm routing for him.

haji1
01-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Senator you have got to be freaking kidding me. I was at that game. I hadn't stumbled across this thread until now. Shoot I would have loved to have met you at the game and cheered on your brother. Don't worry about the game, Sioux Falls does that to everyone they play pretty much.

Senator
01-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Wow, I can't believe 2 FOFCers were at that game. I froze my Texas ASS off!!

It was ugly, wasn't it? If I had to hear the announcer say, "And another Cougar - FIRST DOWNNNNNNNNN" I think I would have puked.

Tabor was outclassed, and, quite frankly, that team was just worn out. The last 3 games of the regular season was a downward trajectory of execution. The Tabor coach is good, but he just never rested the players, and by the time the playoffs came around, they were playing on fumes.

You didn't see a true reflection of the team at its' peak, but I was really impressed with the size of Sioux Falls. And #84 Hovorka was a pure stud.

Wish we could have met. But it was a long day if you wanted a close game.

trirol
02-25-2005, 01:40 AM
First let me tell you - that my son is a freshman on Tabor's team. I stumbled onto your site searching for Tabor related stuff. I have heard of your brother from my son, he was marveling on how "the dude has kids, Dad!," - Just like you we drove every weekend into Kansas and rode the same high of a wonderful season. The only game I missed was the Southwestern game because of a business trip - but my wife drove up by herself to that game. She missed a few more than me to attend our 11 year olds scouting another activities. I love every report you made of each game. The movies are so familiar that they seem to have been from my camera. Activity on here seem to have died off (time to heal) - but I will definitely add your site to my daily net peeks --- Thanks for sharing ---

Senator
03-11-2005, 07:15 PM
I just now saw this. That is pretty cool trirol! We will have to meet next season as Tabor makes another run. Clay is fattening back up. Looks like another DL year for his final hurrah!

Buccaneer
03-11-2005, 07:33 PM
I just now saw this. That is pretty cool trirol! We will have to meet next season as Tabor makes another run. Clay is fattening back up. Looks like another DL year for his final hurrah!
Why? What changed?

Senator
03-11-2005, 07:55 PM
They recruited 3-4 receivers. One was a walk on that played at Kansas and transferred to Tabor and another was a 2 year player at Fresno State, I believe. I am just going by a short conversation. I guess he figured it was his best shot. I have been VERY busy with work for over a month now, and have not talked to him much, but my brother in law noticed he had bulked up. It is all a mystery.

trirol
06-21-2005, 01:40 AM
the schedule is up! No SAGU game this year - so no game in the Dallas area - game two is in Colorado Springs against a NCAA DIII school - any new news regarding Clay? My son is back home and is pumped about next season - according to him spring workouts went well and he s working out on his own - Tabor has to be favored again - core is still there and another year older - most are only Juniors this year - but the transfers sound exciting too... upate when you can - how's the book? when is the release?

Buccaneer
06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
I have to remember the game in the Springs. I assume it's against CC.

Senator
07-03-2005, 11:47 AM
For interested parties...

It is about that time again. I think I will start a new thread for his last season in a couple of days updating the dynasty. I will see him today for the first time since Christmas, so I will see what kind of shape he is in.

Bucc - CC in Colo Springs. Correct. I am trying to justify the 400+ dollar airfare for a fly in - watch game - fly back type of deal.

Eaglesfan27
07-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm looking forward to reading about next season. I really enjoyed this thread.

Izulde
07-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Man I can't believe I didn't read this one until now. This is one of the most amazing, inspirational stories I've ever read.

Your brother gives me hope that I might still be able to accomplish dreams of my own that I've left behind in the dusty past.

Icy
08-23-2005, 10:04 AM
How is it going Senator? i'm excited about the new season :)

trirol
10-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Senator - No updates in a while - hope everything is ok. Just a short update - Tabor is 6-0 over all and 5-0 in conference...just a lil FYI Clay is now number 13, my son's old number from last year --- apparently Clay asked and my boy relented - at least that's my son's version --- Coach Gardner has the team playing well - no close games all have been pretty dominating performances by the team - some will say the Sterling game was close - but not in my opinion - I have only been able to go to 3 games this year, gas prices and work has really made it difficult for me -again i hope all is well

Buzzbee
10-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the update Trirol. Senator started a new thread here:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/showthread.php?t=42307

I'll also copy your post there for those following allong.