PDA

View Full Version : Defcon!

Coffee Warlord
07-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Small chance, I'd imagine, but are any of you going to Defcon out in Las Vegas next week?

For the uninformed, Defcon is a hacker convention which generally amounts to a few thousand geeks engaging in various forms of debauchery under the guise of 'technical talks'.

GrantDawg
07-19-2004, 11:20 AM
The Navy has sent my friend a couple of times. He always had a blast.

Coffee Warlord
07-19-2004, 11:43 AM
He going this year?

GrantDawg
07-19-2004, 11:44 AM
He going this year?
Nope, he is in Hawaii now. They were sending him when he was with computer warfare in Norfolk.

hhiipp
07-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Have you ever seen Brent Huston speak?

He does some consulting for us and always goes to these things sometimes speaking at them.

Coffee Warlord
07-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Have you ever seen Brent Huston speak?

He does some consulting for us and always goes to these things sometimes speaking at them.

Name doesn't ring a bell, but I haven't made it there since 2001.

But hey, this is the 5th year of the Coffee Wars. All bow before the greatest event Defcon has ever seen.

KWhit
07-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Name doesn't ring a bell, but I haven't made it there since 2001.

But hey, this is the 5th year of the Coffee Wars. All bow before the greatest event Defcon has ever seen.
Explain.

Coffee Warlord
07-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Explain.

Side event during Defcon that I started a few years ago. Folks bring their best coffees, we brew said coffees, we run the ultimate taste test for coffee.

Highlights include public flogging and other forms of torture for any who bring decaf or flavored swill.

CraigSca
07-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Actually, I'll be out in Vegas next week, but for IBM's Storage Networking Conference. I haven't been to Vegas in 2+ years and I'm highly looking forward to it (though I wish I had more cash to blow at the blackjack tables).

Coffee Warlord
07-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Actually, I'll be out in Vegas next week, but for IBM's Storage Networking Conference. I haven't been to Vegas in 2+ years and I'm highly looking forward to it (though I wish I had more cash to blow at the blackjack tables).

Exactly when? I'm there from 7/29 through the 1st.

If there's an IBM conference being held during Defcon...hooo boy. I pity those poor folks.

CraigSca
07-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Ah, yours is a weekend gig - IBM's is the 26th through the 30th, Caesar's Palace. Where is DEFCON?

Coffee Warlord
07-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Ah, yours is a weekend gig - IBM's is the 26th through the 30th, Caesar's Palace. Where is DEFCON?

Alexis Park (off strip, they don't want us anymore, and the AP loves us). I'm staying at the Amerisuites a block away from the con hotel. I like a nice quiet place away from everything when it's pass out time.

We should try and hook up, as we overlap a little bit, and I spent more time boozing and gambling than at the convention.