PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Roots (or, let's talk about our favorite rap artists)

QuikSand
07-20-2004, 10:11 AM
My musical tastes are pretty eclectic, but I generally don't listen to a lot of music on the radio. So, I sometimes will just go out and buy music that I have read about, without listening to it in advance. (Yes, I'm a dinosaur who still actually pays for music)

This has been a hit or miss proposition for me in the ten years or so that this has been my main m.o. for music buying. I've stumbled across some things I really like (The O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack and OutKast come to mind) and some things that weren't worth my investment of a few bucks (Never really liked Lauryn Hill, or Jamiroquai, for whatever reason).

Anyway... the latest splurge has me listening to the latest album from The Roots, The Tipping Point. From what I have read, The Roots have long been a tremendous live act that hasn't really translated well to studio recordings. But this album has been hailed as a brekaout for them, and I can see why.

Three times through the album, I'm prepared to call this the best rap music I have ever heard. No, that isn't the whole universe of rap, but I try to keep my options open and listen a bit. This is realy good stuff, musically. I don't knwo how "pure" it is in rap terms, but this is really good music.

Just a pitch to anyone else out there who appreciates a musical recommendation, and is at least open to listening to rap. This is really good stuff, potentially an album for the ages.

Pumpy Tudors
07-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Kickstand's an OG, dawg.

Fritz
07-20-2004, 10:28 AM
thanks quiky

cthomer5000
07-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Quik, pick up "Quality Control" by Jurassic 5 and tell me you've ever heard a better rap album.

I seriously think you'd like it.

I've never been a big Roots fan, although I haven't anything beyond a single here and there in about 4 years. (I've hear "The Seed" about 8 billion times though, not sure if that is still their most recent release).

rjolley
07-20-2004, 10:44 AM
I've always liked The Roots, mostly because they actually play instruments and have a "laid back" sound. They're one of a few acts who's album I'll buy without hearing a single song from it because I know I'll like what they put out.

You should try some of the other Philly artists like Musiq, Jill Scott, or Vivian Green. They're R&B, or Neo Soul if you must slot them, bu they have a nice sound as well. As for more rap in that vein, Slum Village, Black Eyed Peas, and Dialated Peoples have a good sound as well as Jurassic 5...though I've only heard a song or two from the later.

QuikSand
07-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Kickstand's an OG, dawg.

::responds with gangsta signs::
(looking pathetically white in doing so)

BishopMVP
07-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I haven't heard more of the new Roots' album other than the first single (Don't Say Nuthin') but I just want to second the Jurassic 5 recommendation. Quality Control is the first full-length album (they released one LP before that) and Power in Numbers, the second one, was a little more hit or miss. Both are easily among the best hip-hop albums I've ever heard and sound close to the Roots (although J5 has DJ's instead of live instruments.) Amazon probably has a number of clips you can listen to to see if its in your style. Some other bands/groups you might want to check out are 311 (I'm seeing them with the Roots opening in 3 days) Atmosphere and Brother Ali (more pure rap so maybe not your style but probably at least worth a listen.)

cthomer5000
07-20-2004, 11:12 AM
I just want to second the Jurassic 5 recommendation. Quality Control is the first full-length album (they released one LP before that) and Power in Numbers, the second one, was a little more hit or miss. Both are easily among the best hip-hop albums I've ever heard and sound close to the Roots (although J5 has DJ's instead of live instruments.)
And Jurassic 5 doesn't just have DJ's, they have the two best DJ's I have ever heard. Hearing the stuff they put together gives you a very serious appreciation for serious turn-tablists. One of them (Cut Chemist) has done some solo stuff as well, and has done 1 track on each album ("Swing Set" on Quality Control).

I was a little disappointed with Power in Numbers, although some of it is excellent. The EP is obviously solid, but I think Quality Control is just about perfect.

SplitPersonality1
07-20-2004, 11:17 AM
I second the recommendation of the Black-Eyed Peas. I'm not a huge rap fan and I like much of their stuff. Don't know much about the Roots or Jurassic 5. Looks like I have some more music too explore.

SplitPersonality1
07-20-2004, 11:18 AM
(looking pathetically white in doing so)

dola.

FYI. You don't have to be white to look "pathetically white" while flashing gangsta signs. Trust me.

CentralMassHokie
07-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Let me disagree with the consensus here:

Both the Jurassic 5 EP and Power In Numbers are better than Quality Control. Call me a heretic, but there's nothing that tops "A Day at the Races" or "Concrete Schoolyard".

The EP can be found generally cheap and is a great introduction to J5.

The Coup are another hip-hop/rap group I like, but if you don't want politics mixed with your rap, stay away. Myself, however, I could listen to "5 Million Ways to Kill a CEO" and "Me and Jesus the Pimp in a 79 Grenada Last Night" forever.

cthomer5000
07-20-2004, 01:26 PM

Both the Jurassic 5 EP and Power In Numbers are better than Quality Control. Call me a heretic, but there's nothing that tops "A Day at the Races" or "Concrete Schoolyard".
I'd really like to point out that he has stated he's going against the consensus. The absolute consensus is that Quality Control is the more solid full length (over Power in Numbers). In fact he's the only person I've ever seen disagree.

The EP can be found generally cheap and is a great introduction to J5.I don't disagre, but I just think QC is a better piece still.

timmyw3
07-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Let me also throw may hat in the ring for J5. "Concrete Schoolyard" is probably my favorite rap/hip-hop song of all time.

Another group within the same vein that flies under the radar a bit is People Under the Stairs. The production is really quite good. I highly recommend them. Also check out Ugly Duckling's "Taste the Secret". Very creative and funny.

3ric
07-20-2004, 02:52 PM
How's "A tribe called Quest" compared to J5 and Roots? I'll probably listen to samples from all three to form my own opinion, but any comments are welcome.

cthomer5000
07-20-2004, 02:54 PM
How's "A tribe called Quest" compared to J5 and Roots? I'll probably listen to samples from all three to form my own opinion, but any comments are welcome.
They are certainly all in the same family of style. Above-average writing and performing, and zero gangsta content.

mrsimperless
07-20-2004, 02:57 PM
They are certainly all in the same family of style. Above-average writing and performing, and zero gangsta content.

Would you consider "give you ice like Kobe, right" to be gangsta content? I LOVE that line!

BishopMVP
07-20-2004, 03:09 PM
How's "A tribe called Quest" compared to J5 and Roots? I'll probably listen to samples from all three to form my own opinion, but any comments are welcome.I think Tribe is a little more laid-back, J5 a little more beat-driven and uptempo, and the Roots more experimental and jazzish. But YMMV.

cthomer5000
07-20-2004, 03:12 PM
I think Tribe is a little more laid-back, J5 a little more beat-driven and uptempo, and the Roots more experimental and jazzish. But YMMV.
That's as simple yet accurate a description as you can find. Nice job Bishop.

BishopMVP
07-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Would you consider "give you ice like Kobe, right" to be gangsta content? I LOVE that line!That's Kanye West, another very good producer but not quite in the same genre as The Roots (more straight hip-hop/rap than the experimental live instrument ensemble). And I was never sure whether it was "Give you ice like Kobe, right" or "Give you ice like Kobe[s] wife."

korme
07-20-2004, 08:00 PM
mos def
talib kweli

Buccaneer
07-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Let me throw out that when one sees close caption on movies when they are playing rap, it usually displays as thus: [rap music - indistinguishable]

Sharpieman
07-20-2004, 08:16 PM
My musical tastes are pretty eclectic, but I generally don't listen to a lot of music on the radio. So, I sometimes will just go out and buy music that I have read about, without listening to it in advance. (Yes, I'm a dinosaur who still actually pays for music)

This has been a hit or miss proposition for me in the ten years or so that this has been my main m.o. for music buying. I've stumbled across some things I really like (The O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack and OutKast come to mind) and some things that weren't worth my investment of a few bucks (Never really liked Lauryn Hill, or Jamiroquai, for whatever reason).

Anyway... the latest splurge has me listening to the latest album from The Roots, The Tipping Point. From what I have read, The Roots have long been a tremendous live act that hasn't really translated well to studio recordings. But this album has been hailed as a brekaout for them, and I can see why.

Three times through the album, I'm prepared to call this the best rap music I have ever heard. No, that isn't the whole universe of rap, but I try to keep my options open and listen a bit. This is realy good stuff, musically. I don't knwo how "pure" it is in rap terms, but this is really good music.

Just a pitch to anyone else out there who appreciates a musical recommendation, and is at least open to listening to rap. This is really good stuff, potentially an album for the ages.

The Roots are actually my favorite group of any kind of music! If you ever get the chance to see them live, they are amazing. They're greatest album in my opinion is called "Things Fall Apart" from a couple of years ago. And they had that great single on their last album Phernology that was really popular.

Sharpieman
07-20-2004, 08:18 PM
dola, also Talib Kweli has some great songs too...

cthomer5000
07-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Because it is usually in the background, nimrod. :rolleyes:
If it makes you feel any better, all of Bucc's post show up as

[old guy waving cane and yelling - indistinguishable]

:)

Scholes
07-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Mentioned before: Mos Def, new album drops Sept. 14th, Kweli is great, ATCQ, etc.

Not mentioned: De la Soul, Blackalicious, Atmosphere (plugging the local scene), Binary Star, Living Legends, Illogic, Aesop Rock, Camp Lo.

I am a huge fan of The Roots, have seen them live twice, and while they are dope live, I think they're stuff translates pretty well to the CD as well. That's just me though.

And when you just want some good old down and dirty, you can never go wrong with Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle.

Super Ugly
07-21-2004, 04:31 AM
I guess I'm one of the few people who thinks that the Roots are better on record than they are live. Then again, I don't get out of the house much these days, so what am I going to know about the kids these days, and their pop concerts?

While everyone's talking about records they like, let me say that Quasimoto's (aka Madlib of the Lootpack) 'The Unseen' is my favourite record of the past few years. Very jazzy and psychadelic. Plus he samples Bill Cosby. Even if you're not a big fan of hip hop, it will blow your head off.

Sharpieman
07-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Mentioned before: Mos Def, new album drops Sept. 14th, Kweli is great, ATCQ, etc.

Not mentioned: De la Soul, Blackalicious, Atmosphere (plugging the local scene), Binary Star, Living Legends, Illogic, Aesop Rock, Camp Lo.

I am a huge fan of The Roots, have seen them live twice, and while they are dope live, I think they're stuff translates pretty well to the CD as well. That's just me though.

And when you just want some good old down and dirty, you can never go wrong with Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle.

Ah man, I can't believe there is another Living Legends fan on this board.
Are you a Mystik Journymen fan also?

andy m
07-21-2004, 07:11 AM
http://www.anticon.com

sole + clouddead + sage francis = good.

timmyw3
07-21-2004, 07:15 AM

I'm down with the Legends too. The new Murs album with 9th Wonder is phenomenal.

Scholes
07-21-2004, 07:17 AM

Actually, I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, I'll have to check them out.

oykib
07-21-2004, 08:03 AM
mos def
talib kweli

'beat me to it, Shorty.

cthomer5000
07-21-2004, 10:05 AM
at least we know we can edit the titles now. That wasn't working for a real long time.

cuervo72
07-21-2004, 10:14 AM
At least we know what Quik thinks about the direction his thread has headed.

Sharpieman
07-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Best Mystik Journeymen album-Worldwide Underground. Get it at LLcrew.com

lcjjdnh
07-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Although you said you don't like Lauryn Hill, I still have to recommend The Fugees "The Score". I got this CD a few months ago after the recommendation of a friend. It was only $10 at Best Buy so I figured I would pick it up. As someone who usually doesn't like rap I've grown to love this album. Although there's two covers on it, Killing Me Softly and No Woman, No Cry(which I actually like better than the Bob Marley version), the original stuff is great too, especially Zealots which is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs. I usually don't like rap but still love this album enough to go pick up the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which I like a lot. I also got Wyclef's The Carnival but have yet to actually listen to it.

Draft Dodger
07-21-2004, 02:31 PM

well, I LOVE A Day at the Races, so, based on this post, I'm dling Concrete Schoolyard right now...

EDIT: yep, Concrete Schoolyard is a kick ass cool song.

Chas in Cinti
07-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Now we hit a topic I can talk about... :)

Wyclef produced 2002's Tom Jones album "Mr. Jones" which was rather amazing and I listen to regularly between my Hip-Hop selections... As far as rap albums... I'm a bit of traditionalist, but Public Enemy's "It takes a Nation of Millions..." probably opened my eyes more than any Rap Album ever. While I have listened to rap since I was old enough to recognize popular music (had the original album that NWA sold out of their trunk) and can trace my "Roots" (pun intended) back to the Ice-T "Power" Album, Big Daddy Kane's "It's a Big Daddy Thing", and DOC's "No One Can Do it Better", I too have become enamored by this recent trend in Hip-Hop to include more of a melodic sound to their singles. I do enjoy Kanye West and the Black-eyed Peas; but long for the days when rap's sensationalism was about education and not record-selling.

I think the the recent populist trends in rap music such as J5, Roots, BEP, etc. can actually be traced back to the rhythms and melodic rappers of the early 90s such as (don't laugh) Kid n Play, Rodney O and Joe Cooley, and to some extent Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock (Please no MC Hammer jokes, he was a Pop Star, not a Rapper). Those of us who were old enough then, to appreciate the melodies and message, have grown to appreciate this new evolution... and happen to now be the primary buyers of popular music.

Just some thoughts...
Chas

Noop
07-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Haze - is a young artist and very good I think I let Shorty listen to some of his stuff.
Roots - I don't know I am not much of a fan.
Black Eye Peas - No thanks.
Mos Def - Yes his music is very good.
Tupac - Consider me a fan for life. :)

Hmm the rest that is out there I listen to but I mainly jam to underground artist.

Noop
07-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Oh and Dead Prez is gangsta.

mrsimperless
07-27-2004, 11:03 AM
I went out and bought the Roots album because of this thread and overall I like it. There are about 4 or 5 tracks that I really enjoy and the rest I could take or leave. It is my first experience The Roots and overall I would give them a 7.

I also got the new Kwanye West CD and it's pretty good as well. Unfortunately, my stupid ass picked up the CLEAN version of both albums! D'oh!!

Easy Mac
07-27-2004, 11:14 AM
That's Kanye West, another very good producer but not quite in the same genre as The Roots (more straight hip-hop/rap than the experimental live instrument ensemble). And I was never sure whether it was "Give you ice like Kobe, right" or "Give you ice like Kobe[s] wife."
I think technically its Twista with Kanye West as producer, though I could be wrong.

Draft Dodger
07-27-2004, 11:16 AM
well, I dl'd The Roots album, and thought pretty much the same thing - a couple tracks are killer, a couple are just ok. Been listening to some Jurassic 5 as well, and I'd say pretty much the same thoughts (some great, some so-so). one of J5 has a really interesting voice that's pretty cool to listen to, even on the less-interesting songs.

didn't like the Kanye West CD very much - ended up just deleting it from the HD, which I rarely do.

Easy Mac
07-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Am I the only one who only is listening to rap right now? I just can't find any good rock to listen to, especially on the radio. Everything is either shitty versions of garage bands or punk bands. The only song I like right now is the Modest Mouse song that sounds like its from the 80's. Meanwhile, while most rap is still of the "crunk" variety, I've found there's some pretty good songs out right now. The Lloyd Banks song has a nice rhythm (I think they should have used the final few seconds of the hook as the main rhythm for the song). The Youngbuck/Fat Joe summer anthems are good for what they are and nice to listen to, but they'll be forgotten within a year. But there aren't any rock songs I can say that about. Am I just missing the good songs?

cthomer5000
07-27-2004, 11:48 AM
well, I dl'd The Roots album, and thought pretty much the same thing - a couple tracks are killer, a couple are just ok.
I think in general this is a problem with many hip-hop/rap albums. More so than with rock, it seems that artists feel compelled to put on as much stuff as can possibly fit on a CD. The less you cut away, the more so-so material you're left with.

Albums should really only be about 40 minutes in my opinion.

CentralMassHokie
07-27-2004, 11:53 AM
one of J5 has a really interesting voice that's pretty cool to listen to, even on the less-interesting songs.

I can nearly guarantee that's Chali 2na.

If he put out a solo album, I would buy it immediately, no questions asked. He carries J5.

CentralMassHokie
07-27-2004, 11:56 AM
But there aren't any rock songs I can say that about. Am I just missing the good songs?

Yes.

Buy the stellastarr* album.

Buy the Metric album.

Buy the last Rilo Kiley album, "The Execution of All Things".

Pick up the most recent Josh Rouse album "1972".

Buy the Von Bondies last album.

Buy both of Ben Kweller's albums, but if you only get one, pick up "Sha Sha".

Listen to WOXY (http://www.woxy.com).

That should be enough to keep you happy for awhile.

Draft Dodger
07-27-2004, 11:57 AM
I can nearly guarantee that's Chali 2na.

If he put out a solo album, I would buy it immediately, no questions asked. He carries J5.

I wont argue - that must be who it is. just a cool voice and a neat rhyming style.

cthomer5000
07-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Buy the Metric album.
solid album. "combat baby" was easily one of my top 5 songs from last year.

Buy both of Ben Kweller's albums, but if you only get one, pick up "Sha Sha".

I LOVED Sha-Sha, didn't care too much for On My Way

Listen to WOXY (http://www.woxy.com/).
Absolutely. It's gone from being the best station in the country, to the best station in the country AND commerical free.

cthomer5000
07-27-2004, 12:00 PM
I wont argue - that must be who it is. just a cool voice and a neat rhyming style.
The super-deep voice. I think anyone who's ever heard him has a very positive reaction.

mrsimperless
07-27-2004, 12:51 PM
I would second StellaStar - very cool.

But I am having the same problem Mac - rock isn't doing anything for me these days and I don't know why. Maybe we're just angry?

I like the new Jadakiss (sp?) track as well. Nice.

Calis
07-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Far and away my favorite rap has been mentioned once or twice already, but I'll reiterate it. :D Blackalicious...great stuff, and far, far away from gangster rap.

Starting to really like what I've heard of Taleb Kweli also, but I've yet to grab the BlackStar album which is supposedly the best of it there...need to do that sometime.

QuikSand
04-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Well, after several months, The Tipping Point remains among my front line playlist, and was the first thing I saved onto my recent MP3 player on my Treo phone. Mrs. Q has become a convert also. I think it's truly a great album - will be on some "all-time" lists one day.

sovereignstar
04-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Don't see Dilated Peoples mentioned here at all. Maybe not everyone's bag, but here's on of their songs and one of my all-time fav songs.

When Worst Comes to Worst (http://the-dkbl.com/dilated_peoples.mp3)

TheOhioStateUniversity
04-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Nas, JayZ, Kanye West, Common, and Mos Def are the best right now.

Young Drachma
04-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Great thread.

I've been listening to a lot of the new Beanie Sigel LP called "The B. Coming" It's hot..

I don't really like Ludacris, but a guy I read the other day made a good point about him and how he's underrated as an MC. He's commercial, no doubt, but his skills as a lyricist really aren't in dispute. "The Red Light District" seems to be more of the same from him. Sharp, witty lyrics and tight rhymes with over-the-top, but hot production and collaborations.

Boston-area DJ Clinton Sparks (no relation to Bubba) released this really hot and probably will go under the radar LP called Maybe You Been Brainwashed Vol. 1 and it's really hot.

M.I.A. is from London by way of Sri Lanka. Her first release called Arular is not the slick production you're used to hearing from US acts, but it's grimey with a ragga sound. The tracks to look at for are Sunshowers, which has a chorus that's a direct rip from Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band's track "Sunshower." Also, Galang and Bucky Done Gun is pretty hot.

[shameless plug]
I review music on my site all the time, and I have a really eclectic taste, so check it out.Here's a link (http://ishouldstudymore.net/shr/index.php?cat=3). [/shameless plug]

As for listening to this stuff, I've been a member of Listen.com's Rhapsody for like 2 years or so. It's fantastic, because I can listen to generally everything that comes out, as it does or even before. The new Napster isn't bad, but the only good thing about it, is if you like to have the music on your computer, you can download a lot of the tracks from there - or once you buy them, you get them. With Rhapsody, you can burn CDs or stream their entire catalog that's availiable - but you can't download them (Though I've ripped my CDs once I make the before..)

Anthony
04-10-2005, 12:45 PM

this is the funniest thing QS has ever wrote. bravo.

st.cronin
04-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Blackalicious' Blazing Arrow is possibly my favorite cd ever.

Calis
04-11-2005, 03:11 PM

Nia ain't nothing to scoff at either.

mhass
04-11-2005, 03:25 PM
I have a shuffle going right now with De La Soul and Tribe (andsome others). Hard to beat that stuff. The Low End Theory and 3 Feet High and Risin' belong in anyone's collection who like Roots.

BishopMVP
04-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Anyone shocked that this album got almost no mention during the Grammy's after Outkast (really Andre 3000) won last year? Don't Say Nuthin' was up for like best rap/hip-hop song, but that was it. Then again, considering they had "Let's Get Started", a clean remake commissioned for the NBA up for best song, I really shouldn't care.

As for the second part of the thread, last year J5 and Busta Rhymes were here in concert. J5 was amazing, Busta pretty weak. This year, Fabolous and Nas are coming, which will be interesting. I love both rappers, but I'm not sure how good they'll be live. And they have to follow the Dropkick Murphys, one of the best/most energetic live acts out there today, so that won't help.

For other albums that have come out since last time this thread was open, mainstream-wise, 50 and Eminem's albums were disappointments, but Game's was one of the best in years. Definitely not the same style as Roots/J5/Tribe though. For somthing that might be in the same sort of experimental production genre, Handsome Boy Modeling School (Dan the Automator and Kid Koala collaborating, with Del on a fair amount) put out another album which some people might want to check out. It's hit-or-miss, but the hits seem to differ based on who you talk to, and there's something for everyone there. Nas' double-album could have made an amazing album, but was too stretched out. Kanye West is producing/collaborating with a cousin or something named Consequence on an album coming out soon, and it seems really promising. For the fans of Q-Tip, he's on the Chemical Brothers single Galvanise, a pretty crazy break-dance oriented song. For Jewish reggae fans, Matisyahu is amazing. My favorite reggae artist other than Bob Marley. Atmosphere also put out an old double-album onto CD, which is amazing. Haven't really been listening to as much new rap/hip-hop, so I can't think of more off the top of my head.

timmyw3
04-12-2005, 07:46 AM

I highly recommend Gift Of Gab's solo album, "Fourth Dimensional Rocketships Going Up". Good stuff.

QuikSand
04-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Nice tidbit:

For Jewish reggae fans...

I'm not enough of a music fan, it seems, to have any context or this. So, I just laughed out loud when reading it. Forgive me.

stevew
12-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Anyone shocked that this album got almost no mention during the Grammy's after Outkast (really Andre 3000) won last year? Don't Say Nuthin' was up for like best rap/hip-hop song, but that was it. Then again, considering they had "Let's Get Started", a clean remake commissioned for the NBA up for best song, I really shouldn't care.

As for the second part of the thread, last year J5 and Busta Rhymes were here in concert. J5 was amazing, Busta pretty weak. This year, Fabolous and Nas are coming, which will be interesting. I love both rappers, but I'm not sure how good they'll be live. And they have to follow the Dropkick Murphys, one of the best/most energetic live acts out there today, so that won't help.

For other albums that have come out since last time this thread was open, mainstream-wise, 50 and Eminem's albums were disappointments, but Game's was one of the best in years. Definitely not the same style as Roots/J5/Tribe though. For somthing that might be in the same sort of experimental production genre, Handsome Boy Modeling School (Dan the Automator and Kid Koala collaborating, with Del on a fair amount) put out another album which some people might want to check out. It's hit-or-miss, but the hits seem to differ based on who you talk to, and there's something for everyone there. Nas' double-album could have made an amazing album, but was too stretched out. Kanye West is producing/collaborating with a cousin or something named Consequence on an album coming out soon, and it seems really promising. For the fans of Q-Tip, he's on the Chemical Brothers single Galvanise, a pretty crazy break-dance oriented song. For Jewish reggae fans, Matisyahu is amazing. My favorite reggae artist other than Bob Marley. Atmosphere also put out an old double-album onto CD, which is amazing. Haven't really been listening to as much new rap/hip-hop, so I can't think of more off the top of my head.
I heard a song by this Matisyahu guy on radio 1 on Sirius the other day. I know its a bit older, but man, he can really work the mic.

tucker342
12-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Lets see where do I start....

Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Black Star, Pharoahe Monch... etc. I could go on and on

Antmeister
12-08-2005, 11:21 PM
dola.

FYI. You don't have to be white to look "pathetically white" while flashing gangsta signs. Trust me.

I was just about to mention it, because I sound ridiculous cursing and throwing signs.

Antmeister
12-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Wow! There are already a number of groups I never heard of. Now I have to give these a try.

timmae
12-08-2005, 11:31 PM
starting reading the thread and thought fritz was back... oh well.

cthomer5000
12-08-2005, 11:35 PM
I still suggest Quality Control by Jurassic 5 to anyone.

And recently I've dusted off some of my old Wu-Tang Clan and been listening to it quite heavily lately. They put out so much material from 93-98. Genius/GZA's Liquid Swords was easily the best "solo"* album any of them put out in my opinion, and overall is only second to Enter The 36 Chambers (their debut album). While certainly much more in the gangsta realm, they had a disctinct sound and were quite innovative. I also think they happened to have a collection of almost all the best rappers going at the time.

*They're all hardly solo, since they basically all appear on every album that was released under a solo name.

Super Ugly
12-09-2005, 07:41 AM

And recently I've dusted off some of my old Wu-Tang Clan and been listening to it quite heavily lately. They put out so much material from 93-98. Genius/GZA's Liquid Swords was easily the best "solo"* album any of them put out in my opinion, and overall is only second to Enter The 36 Chambers (their debut album). While certainly much more in the gangsta realm, they had a disctinct sound and were quite innovative. I also think they happened to have a collection of almost all the best rappers going at the time.

*They're all hardly solo, since they basically all appear on every album that was released under a solo name.

I loved Liquid Swords, and the Raekwon album too. Funny how they suddenly fell off the quality wagon with that second group album. I guess they put out more good records in the space of about three years than most artists do in a career.

cthomer5000
12-09-2005, 09:01 AM
I loved Liquid Swords, and the Raekwon album too. Funny how they suddenly fell off the quality wagon with that second group album. I guess they put out more good records in the space of about three years than most artists do in a career.
I assume you're talking about Cuban Linx. Along with Liquid Swords they are the undeniably two best albums outside the first Wu album. Critics and fans seem to agree on that. I don't disagree either.

tanglewood
12-09-2005, 09:49 AM
I am by no means a big rap fan (I cannot stand gangsta rap bullshit), but The Roots are awesome. One of my favourite artists. I also like Mos Def and Talib Kweli, especialy when they combined for Black Star, that album is one of the best albums ever full stop.

tanglewood
12-09-2005, 09:50 AM

dola

Jurrasic 5 are another rap group I like.

Also I forgot to mention Roots Manuva. That guy is awesome also.

Super Ugly
12-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I assume you're talking about Cuban Linx. Along with Liquid Swords they are the undeniably two best albums outside the first Wu album. Critics and fans seem to agree on that. I don't disagree either.

Yeah, the song on Cuban Linx with Nas might be my all-time favourite hip hop track.

Fritz
12-09-2005, 11:28 AM
starting reading the thread and thought fritz was back... oh well.
oh well

Easy Mac
01-21-2006, 12:57 AM
I heard a song by this Matisyahu guy on radio 1 on Sirius the other day. I know its a bit older, but man, he can really work the mic.Just in case anyone hasn't checked it out, here's Matisyahu's video from his song King Without a Crown (http://www.redmusic.com/video/Matisyahu/KingWithoutCrown.asx). This is the song getting play around here. I'd have to say from the few other songs I've heard from him, its some good stuff. I generally enjoy reggae in rather small doses, but some of it is just so mind blowing for me. When I heard this guy was Jewish and white, I about went out of my mind.

Young Drachma
01-24-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm necrobumping this thread, because I ran across it today and it made me laugh.

Now rap threads usually just devolve into some asshole posting about how he doesn't like rap at all.

BishopMVP
01-24-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm necrobumping this thread, because I ran across it today and it made me laugh.

Now rap threads usually just devolve into some asshole posting about how he doesn't like rap at all.Ehh... Bucc did it, he was just polite about it and people let it slip by instead of dwelling on it. I do recall loving QuiksandBot1.0's passive-aggressive title addendum.

I find it somewhat interesting how little respect/attention The Tipping Point gets these days. It's still easily my favorite Roots album, and definitely their most accessible, but it rarely seems to get mentioned, either when people are discussing their favorite albums or bringing up the Roots. It's almost like that accessibility makes people feel they should be talking about the "realer", earlier Roots albums.