PDA

View Full Version : Why does ManU want Wayne Rooney?

rexallllsc
08-27-2004, 06:08 AM
They just got Smith, they still have RvN, and don't they have Saha as well?

Northwood_DK
08-27-2004, 06:17 AM
Solskjær is out for the season and why not buy him if you can, just like the Yankees.

But strangest transfer of the year is still Owen to Real Madrid.

Mac Howard
08-27-2004, 06:23 AM
RvN is injured. Saha is injured. Ole Gunnar Solskaer is injured (out for the season and possibly career ending). So they currently have just one striker (Smith) and are having to use their best midfielder - Paul Scholes - as a support striker. Even when the first two are back then, if Utd have one striker injured or are resting one, then with a two man strike formation they won't have a worthwhile striker on the bench to up the ante or replace a striker if they need to.

A club facing 60 + matches a season needs 4 strikers. RvN, Rooney, Saha and Smith should make any CL competitor take them seriously :)

andy m
08-27-2004, 06:29 AM
they want him because they are desperate. they are obviously the 3rd best team in the premiership and need to improve their squad to compete.

Mac Howard
08-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Nonsense, andy. They matched Chelsea (presumably one your first two) at Stamford Bridge with this team unavailable:

...............Saha.......RvN

Ronaldo.....Kleberson....Fletcher....Solksjaer

Heinze.....Ferdinand...Brown....???????

Add a 'keeper and a RB and that team itself would make third place ;)

Honolulu_Blue
08-27-2004, 07:05 AM
They also want him because he's still a kid, is probably one of the best footballers in the world right now and will likely only get better, and he will sell a ton of merchandise. It's a sound investment really.

MIJB#19
08-27-2004, 07:37 AM
Solskjær is out for the season and why not buy him if you can, just like the Yankees.

But strangest transfer of the year is still Owen to Real Madrid.Real Madrid still needed a mascot to pose on the team photo with the starting lineup.

Critch
08-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Man Utd want them as they'd be able to sell a good number of shirts with Rooney's name on the back. I'm guessing your average Man Utd fan (a 12 year old school boy from Essex), would love to have a red shirt with the current England hero's name on the back. He'd also fit in nicely at the moment with RvN and others out.

Strangest transfer for me was Woodgate to Real Madrid. He's a good centerback, even if he is short of Ferdinand/Campbell class, but he's only played in 37 of 128 games while at Newcastle plus he's been out injured since April. $22mil seems like a lot to spend on an injury prone defender.

Darkiller
08-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Michael Owen to Real Madrid is a stupid transfer.
They've been talking for years now about having a star-caliber defender (their defense has been horrid for the past 2-3 seasons, and has cost them a few titles).

and no, they keep on collecting forwards and mid-fielders.

Honolulu_Blue
08-27-2004, 07:51 AM
and no, they keep on collecting forwards and mid-fielders.

Galacticos. I think they are called Galacticos... :)

Critch
08-27-2004, 07:59 AM
they keep on collecting forwards and mid-fielders.

They did sing Walter Samuel, who's a real top class central defender. If they'd got Viera from Arsenal, as looked likely, they'd have been in a great position defensively.

Alf
08-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Real Madrid president promised to sign one "Ballon d'or" player per year before getting elected. He then signs

Year 1 - Figo
Year 2 - Zidane
Year 3 - Beckham
Year 4 - Owen (not "Ballon d'Or", but Golden Shoe as European top scorer...)
Year 5 - I would expect Nedved to be here

Makes sense to me

moriarty
08-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Nonsense, andy.

Nonsense Mac. Perhaps you don't remember where Man U finished last year, and I'll take Chelsea's new additions over Man U's. Once Chelsea has time to gel with their new players and coach, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Man U is now the 3rd best team in the league.

We'll see where they all stand in May.

Ajaxab
08-27-2004, 08:23 AM
The football world has become interesting when a player is bought to sell shirts rather than to produce on the pitch. I can't understand why Real Madrid would buy Owen other than to capitalise on merchandise sales. I guess they figure his kit sales will be more than the 8 million pounds they paid for him.

Perhaps even more bizarre than the Man U bid for Rooney, what about the Newcastle bid? Their strike force is adequate with Shearer, Bellamy, Kluivert and Ameobi, but they desperately need help in defense. Why drop 28 million pounds on Rooney when you are in need of a good centre back?

Huckleberry
08-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Nonsense, andy. They matched Chelsea (presumably one your first two) at Stamford Bridge...

Since when is matched synonymous with lost to? :D

moriarty
08-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Perhaps even more bizarre than the Man U bid for Rooney, what about the Newcastle bid? Their strike force is adequate with Shearer, Bellamy, Kluivert and Ameobi, but they desperately need help in defense. Why drop 28 million pounds on Rooney when you are in need of a good centre back?

I think Shearer is done after this season, but otherwise point taken. I just can't see Newcastle winning this bidding war, but who knows.

But even with a proven strikeforce, why not go after a player as talented, young (especially if you can sign him to a long contract), and exciting as Rooney. Besides the extra shirt sales, I would think it'd bring alot of buzz and excitement to the fans and team. 28 million pounds worth .... well, that might be a stretch.

Critch
08-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Shearer is done at the end of the season, so Rooney could make sense. Only problem is that now Bellamy has started whining about how he'd want to leave if Rooney joined. If I was a Newcastle fan I wouldn't be heartbroken by Rooney in, Bellamy out.

On Wednesday night v Norwich, when Newcastle brought on a late striker trying to snatch a victory they went to Ameobi ahead of Kluivert. Is it too early to guess that Newcastle have given up on the idea of Kluivert being a long term replacement for Shearer, so they've turned their focus to Rooney?

MIJB#19
08-27-2004, 08:50 AM
I think Shearer is done after this season, but otherwise point taken. I just can't see Newcastle winning this bidding war, but who knows.

But even with a proven strikeforce, why not go after a player as talented, young (especially if you can sign him to a long contract), and exciting as Rooney. Besides the extra shirt sales, I would think it'd bring alot of buzz and excitement to the fans and team. 28 million pounds worth .... well, that might be a stretch.But that's what Kluivert is brought in for, to replace Shearer when the tank is empty.

I'm not sure, but I think that Rooney is not a good replacement for Shearer concidering the playing style. Isn't Rooney more of an all over the opponents half striker and Shearer a penalty box area striker?

The merchandise story is there since 2000, but if Real Madrid really wants to sell merchandise, it might be time to introduce a Korean and Japanese player, rather then another English guy who played for the rival team of Beckham. Or is Owen more popular in Japan and Korea then their own players?

moriarty
08-27-2004, 08:57 AM
The merchandise story is there since 2000, but if Real Madrid really wants to sell merchandise, it might be time to introduce a Korean and Japanese player, rather then another English guy who played for the rival team of Beckham. Or is Owen more popular in Japan and Korea then their own players?

I don't know about Owen, but Beckham is INSANELY popular in Asia.

Mac Howard
08-27-2004, 09:02 AM
The news as I write this is that Rooney has put in an official transfer request and in the press statement has said he enjoyed playing with the big boys in Euro 2004 and wants to go to a club that plays European soccer year in year out. Sounds like a come on to Alex Ferguson to me :)

Darkiller
08-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Real Madrid president promised to sign one "Ballon d'or" player per year before getting elected. He then signs

Year 1 - Figo
Year 2 - Zidane
Year 3 - Beckham
Year 4 - Owen (not "Ballon d'Or", but Golden Shoe as European top scorer...)
Year 5 - I would expect Nedved to be here

Makes sense to me
Alf, Owen DID get the "Ballon d'Or"...

Honolulu_Blue
08-27-2004, 09:14 AM
I must admit, as an Everton supporter this news makes me sad and unhappy. That said, I think it's best for the Blues and for Rooney that they part ways. Rooney does need to compete in Europe to improve his game. He definitely deserves to be playing at the highest level of competition. He wasn't going to get that in Everton. Everton need cash and influx of talent in the worst kind of way. Without the money to invest in some new players, Everton were just going to be a very mediocare side with a great, young striker. Hopefully they will be able to use the transfer money they get for Rooney, straighten out their debt situation and start investing in some talent to improve the over all squad. It wont be easy, in fact, it will be downright painful.

If I had to chose between Newcastle and Man Utd., I think I would take Man Utd. I love watching the Roone and the chances that I catch a Man Utd. game are far higher than watching Newcastle. That said, one of my good mates is a Manc. If Man Utd. ends up buying Roone, he will be insufferable for a long, long time. Even more so.

MIJB#19
08-27-2004, 09:58 AM
I don't know about Owen, but Beckham is INSANELY popular in Asia.Yeah, I know Beckham is popular everywhere: Australia, Zambia, India, Equador, anywhere.
I ment to question Owen's popularity, sorry if my English mislead you.

Ajaxab
08-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Maybe this is a win-win for Newcastle. If their 28 million pound bid is accepted, they get a solid striker who should bring them a return on their investment. If their bid gets rejected and Man U get Rooney, then they will have at least forced Man U's hand in driving up the price. Of course the latter might not necessarily count as a win, but Newcastle fans might be able to take some solace in that outcome.

Critch
08-27-2004, 10:13 AM
A couple of days ago the rumor was that Newcastle were involved in the Rooney bidding to try to force Everton's hand with the plan that Rooney would end up with Man Utd, who would then sell John O'Shea to Newcastle, giving them the central defender they need.

All sounds a bit conspiracy theory and a bit far fetched, but you never know I guess.

Ryan S
08-27-2004, 12:21 PM
They did sing Walter Samuel, who's a real top class central defender. If they'd got Viera from Arsenal, as looked likely, they'd have been in a great position defensively.
Real Madrid have also signed Jonathon Woodgate, who is a pretty good defender (when he plays).

Francis_Cole
08-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Perhaps even more bizarre than the Man U bid for Rooney, what about the Newcastle bid? Their strike force is adequate with Shearer, Bellamy, Kluivert and Ameobi, but they desperately need help in defense

Shearer retires at the end of this season. Kluivert will probably go. Ameobi is going to everton as part of the deal (if newcastle get roony) and roony is a lot better than bellamy.

As for man u, most top teams try to have 4 top strikers, man u currently have 3 (rvn, rooney, smith).

Fran

varacel
08-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Real Madrid have also signed Jonathon Woodgate, who is a pretty good defender (when he plays).
Woodgate is an outstanding defender, quick, strong, great anticipation and reasonable on the ball.

I think Woodgate will probably be the best of the Madrid buys this summer. Just moving into the peak of his career, if, and given his record so far it's a big if, he can stay healthy he has a chance to become the best player in the world at his position.

Plus, having Woodgate and Samuel means Helguera can return to being the holding midfield player, which Madrid lacked once Makele was sold last season.

Desnudo
08-27-2004, 04:37 PM
A couple of days ago the rumor was that Newcastle were involved in the Rooney bidding to try to force Everton's hand with the plan that Rooney would end up with Man Utd, who would then sell John O'Shea to Newcastle, giving them the central defender they need.

All sounds a bit conspiracy theory and a bit far fetched, but you never know I guess.

The thing that sounds absurd to me about that theory is why would Man U. need Newcastle to bid? Why wouldn't they just bid themselves? Rooney prefers to go there anyway.

bhlloy
08-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Nice to see Newcastle didn't learn from Faustino Asprilla.

Defense. It's what the best teams have and you don't. It's also why you haven't won anything in over 25 years.

Bet Alan Smith would be delighted if Rooney ends up at United.

ISiddiqui
08-29-2004, 01:46 AM
On Wednesday night v Norwich, when Newcastle brought on a late striker trying to snatch a victory they went to Ameobi ahead of Kluivert. Is it too early to guess that Newcastle have given up on the idea of Kluivert being a long term replacement for Shearer, so they've turned their focus to Rooney?

Well, as shown today, they are willing to play Kluivert (and he wasn't half bad.. with a goal to boot). Kluivert didn't show up until late into training and still isn't totally match fit.

I think Newcastle may also be making noises of getting Rooney because Robson wants to save his job and he thinks that perhaps Rooney can help him do it. At the very least it's a BIG name signing, which may buy him some more time. Defense is needed, Woodgate was always injured (Hell, Ken Griffey, Jr's got nothing on him) and with that transfer money hopefully they could have gotten a decent center back. Going for Rooney isn't the smartest idea, but I can see why Robson is going for it.

Crapshoot
08-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Im going to be amused as to what Alex is going to do with Saha and Smith- one of them is going to be 4th choice, and it will be fairly hard for either to sit still, given they just moved to Man u within the last 6-7 months. Of course, Ole career at Man U is over- whether his real career is over is yet to be determined..

I think Newcastle did a good job of at least driving up the price- Man u was probably content to wait till Jan or the end of the year, when Everton's position had very little leverage. Now, 25 million quid is an amount that will handicap even Man U- giving Newcastle some money to spend in a market with no real buyers left (In spain, all the big boys except Athletico have closed shop- In Italy, Inter and Milan are done, and Juventus, if they buy, will probably go for a striker- In England, Chelsea are done as well and Arsenal arent going to pay 6-7 million for a backup defender).

Personally, I think Newcastle out to try and get Michael Dawson from Forest- offer them 4.5 million now- I think they will be hard pressed to resist.

Mac Howard
08-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Utd's performance at Blackburn is perhaps the best answer to the thread title - despite having over 20 attempts on goal Utd found themselves 1-0 down on 90 minutes and then just rescued a point in added time. They can't afford to dominate teams like that only to come away with one point.

With over 60 matches to play they will need to rest players and they'll suffer injuries. If they're reduced to just one striker as a result they'll simply drop too many points to realistically challenge for the title and CL.