PDA

View Full Version : Ideas For FOF6

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ben E Lou
09-06-2004, 11:03 AM
First, let's get this out of the way: I have no idea when this game is coming out.

Now, that being said, we have a thread with ideas for TCY2, and I thought it would be good to consolidate a thread with FOF6. Put 'em here, and I'll link to this (and the TCY2) thread in the reference thread.

--Ben

Noop
09-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Honestly I have no idea and have zero interest in playing the game the way it is because you have to much stuff and for me atleast it is hard to connect with the players like I did with FOF2001.

Ok one idea media...

samifan24
09-06-2004, 11:07 AM
I'll agree with Noop. The two things I'd most like to see are increased media interaction, a la FM series, and some way of getting to know your players besides just the stats. Perhaps adding a bit more to why players become disgruntled, adding a bit to the contract stages where you can "promise them a role," etc. etc. If you add some of these things, it will increase player immersion. and that's never a bad thing.

sachmo71
09-06-2004, 11:09 AM
First, let's get this out of the way: I have no idea when this game is coming out.

Why would you?

Anyway, I would like to see the number of teams configurable. Or, maybe a better way to adress multiple requests of mine, a more flexible data structure.

Ben E Lou
09-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Why would you?I wouldn't, but that doesn't stop people from IM'ing, PM'ing, and e-mailing me to ask if I know anything. :mad: (Like I'd tell them if I *did* know anything....) Just trying to head that off before it happens any more than it already does.

Blackadar
09-06-2004, 11:13 AM
I think we've covered this topic before. :)

The_herd
09-06-2004, 11:19 AM
*Franchise Player hold outs (hold outs for non-rookies, in general)

*realistic restricted free agent system (a must with the attention this gets now, IMO)

*Improved contract negotiation screen. Roster Bonuses and yearly incentives.

*A way to make sure your playmakers get the ball more often in the passing game. If I don't want to throw to my FB, then he shouldn't be catching 50 passes each season.

MylesKnight
09-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Best idea for FOF6... Skip it, and instead go with TCY2.

Suicane75
09-06-2004, 11:20 AM
1. Customizable league sizes.
2. Expansion.
3. Ability to add your own graphics (team logos, helmets etc) to a degree that you can actually see them in game.
4.A more vibrant interface.
5. Better draft logic, it still irks me that the first 30 rounds of a dispersal draft are all Left Tackles (yes im exagerating, but still).
6. A much more streamlined gameplan editor.
7. Do steps 1-6 without messing with the game engine :)

VPI97
09-06-2004, 11:20 AM
A ton more commissioner functions

chinaski
09-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Player history is a MUST. trades, injuries, championships, FA signings, and anything else you can think of should be tracked for each player.

Suicane75
09-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Almost forgot......Head to Head online multiplayer........(drools)

Icy
09-06-2004, 11:30 AM
1. Customizable league sizes.
2. Expansion.
3. Ability to add your own graphics (team logos, helmets etc) to a degree that you can actually see them in game.
4.A more vibrant interface.
5. Better draft logic, it still irks me that the first 30 rounds of a dispersal draft are all Left Tackles (yes im exagerating, but still).
6. A much more streamlined gameplan editor.
7. Do steps 1-6 without messing with the game engine :)

All this plus players/coaches/owner personalities and media news like the old EHM or OOTP (i don't like a lot the CM series ones, i preffer them like a newspaper).

Super Ugly
09-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Player history would be a big bonus for me as well. Plus media interaction, even if it's simple like Madden ... the way Madden does it certainly isn't perfect, but it's really helping me get into my dynasty at the moment.

Fonzie
Player history is a MUST. trades, injuries, championships, FA signings, and anything else you can think of should be tracked for each player.

I concur with this, as well as with the need for greater media interaction and player/coach personalities (I prefer the CM model myself).

On the technical side, I'd love to have the ability to open multiple windows and be able to use them all siultaneously.

Ben E Lou
My wish list (in no particular order)...

Improved Roster Building AI
Someone mentioned that making the game go too slowly is a concern here. Without doing any testing, my guess is that one stage of free agency in OOTP6, for example, may take 5-10 times longer than one stage in FOF2K4, and it doesn't feel like OOTP takes a long time at all. There's definitely room to let the game take more time in processing each stage of free agency.

Right-Click Interface Additions
Allow the user to right-click on a player and have a tab with options like: Release, Place On IR, Activate/Deactivate, Renegotiate.

Make Finances Matter More
Virtually no one pays attention to the year-end score. The focus is (as it should be) on winning the Super Bowl, and therefore financial concerns get lost. The obvious places to let it come into play more would be the ability to offer bonuses, the ability to offer money to coaches/scouts, and the ability to get fired.

Improved Interaction With TCY (or TCY2)
*Make performance come into play more heavily when importing players from TCY.
*Keep TCY Stats & Awards on player card for duration of FOF career.

Bring Back Expansion!
'Nuff said.

Improved Player Histories
Trades, Injuries, New Contracts, Titles Won, Awards, Top Ten In League (and have these divided by category, not all chronologically)

Ben E Lou
09-06-2004, 11:34 AM
*A way to make sure your playmakers get the ball more often in the passing game. If I don't want to throw to my FB, then he shouldn't be catching 50 passes each season.Word.

Noop
09-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Skydog you said word.

General Mike
09-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Mock Drafts

chinaski
09-06-2004, 12:10 PM
I would also like to add... the ability to make defensive formation personnel changes in the game plan.

Cringer
09-06-2004, 12:20 PM
A ton more commissioner functions

Agreed. Also, just much more cleaned up, bug free MP play. Not having to worry about deleting your export if you want to re-do it, the "Arizona" coach not winning the coach of the year every year, and many other things that are not major but would be nice to have fixed (although a patch could do most of it I am sure, instead of a whole new version)

cartman
09-06-2004, 01:13 PM
My wish is that FOF and TCY are merged into one program, ala CM.

CraigSca
09-06-2004, 01:29 PM
I would love to see no salary cap/free agency and go to 70's style of football. I think it would increase the chances of seeing real dynasties in the game (besides the human player's). Of course, I say this knowing there is no way in hell this will happen in FOF.

Dutch
09-06-2004, 01:59 PM
With the 25 to 30 sacks a year guru's out there, I would like to see the option of keeping your Fullback out of passing plays and offer him to "key" on a particular player or help your worst blocker.

A screen that says...

Time FB is used for blocking instead of receiving on passing plays (0-100) 100 being most likely to block, 50 being average and 0 being most likely to go out on a pass route.

If Blocking, key on top rated defensive blitzer or key on lowest rated offensive pass blocker (0-100 for each) totals must add up to 100.

With the advantages being less sacks by the leagues "super sack meisters" and the disadvantages being one less passing option (maybe putting the total passing yards down a bit).

Or something along those lines.

Dutch
09-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Oh yea, SD, you should sticky this and the TCY2 thread. I know you hate sticky-ing things but these are good ones to have and they serve a noble cause.

wade moore
09-06-2004, 02:35 PM
The ability to "export" teams and have them play others in "exhibitions"... for MP, ability limited to commishes.

Joe
09-06-2004, 02:37 PM
passwords for multiplayer ala ootp

gstelmack
09-06-2004, 03:21 PM
- Streamlined gameplanning.
- Same detail in the game logs as shows in the in-game play-by-play. A must for multiplayer gameplanning.
- Save/Load your multiplayer turn so you don't have to do it all at once.
- More player history options. See FOFReporter for examples.
- More dump-to-file options. See FOFExtractor for examples.
- Fix reported bugs (of course).
- More roster validation on export. Players should not be submitting turns that cause the scout to update depth charts without a warning.

Toddzilla
09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
"Customizable" AI coaches/GM's

Kind of like the old Front Page Sports model where you could choose what the CPU emphasized on each team. For example, some teams prefer the run, other prefer to pass. Some GM's like prospects, others prefer veterans. FPS had several GM "Draft Profiles" which emphasized a particular group of positions in the expansion draft (QB and Receivers, O-Line and TE, D-Line, Skill positions, etc).

Ben E Lou
09-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Oh yea, SD, you should sticky this and the TCY2 thread. I know you hate sticky-ing things but these are good ones to have and they serve a noble cause.Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about doing just that, but temporarily. I'll sticky 'em both for a week or so, so that all regulars and semi-regulars will get to see that they're here.

Apathetic Lurker
09-06-2004, 04:28 PM
I would love to be able to see how many players were drafted for different schools for each draft, total from each school overall in drafts and a way to see the totals from each school per team.

BigJohn&TheLions
09-06-2004, 04:56 PM
To be able to adjust the likeliness of the computer going for a FG over 45 yards. (I hate it when the copm attempts a 57 yd fg five minutes into the game...

Coaching tendencies for the assistant coaches (34, 43, 46 defense, run & shoot, short passing game, etc.)

Assistant coaches should make LESS money than the head coach.

Switch the free agency periods around. The short period should be before the draft. As it is, most of the good FA's are gone by the 10th week.

A mock draft from your scout (how good your scout is should affect the accuracy of the mock draft)

Increased use of email. Players agents can communicate with you by email. Holdouts, signings. Disgruntled players. Players interested in signingwith your team, etc.

A greater chance that a player can fully recover from an injury and return to their former ratings, or something near it. (I hate that it seems every time a guy tears a ligament it seems that his career is pretty much over. In real life, it happens all the time. Most players have those nice zipper scars on their knees...)

More realistic monetary requests by players.

Have loyalty mean something. Like the player is more likely to re-sign with you for slightly less than he might get elsewhere. (I hate that they want the sky and moon from me, then sign elsewhere for the minimum.)

Make the computer more likely to play a young QB when the season is lost.

Have the computer more likely to keep more players rather than turn over half the roster and sign half the team to 1 year minimum contracts. And if they do sign a QB to a 1 year minimum contract and start him, RESIGN HIM!!! QB's simply do not wander from team to team, starting on 1 year minimum deals.

gottimd
09-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Here were some ideas that were discussed before.....playoff scenarios, expansion, media interaction, HOF voting, In season trades, etc

Next FOF Discussion (http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/showthread.php?t=28402)

cthomer5000
09-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Give me control over the maximum length of a field goal attempt. While I wouldn't mind a blanket "do not attempt a field goal of over X yards", ideally this would be in each game plan screen. Obvioulsy I might try a 55 yarder with 1 second left, even if I wouldn't want to try anything over 45 in a regular situation.
Make me choose a base offense and defense. Either this or bring back the "familairity" ratings from FOF2001. They make too much sense not to be included.
Increase the 'depth' of the QB position. Assign QB's some sort of rating showing their "familiarity with the offense." A QB shouldn't be able to be picked up as a free agent and have complete profeciency in the offense in a single week.
Ability to rename coaches.
Coordinators more 'set' to their side of the ball. I see too many all-around coaches who bounce from OC to DC and back.
Reduce the number of interceptions returned for touchdown.
Bring back expansion. This was one of everyone's favorite parts of the older FOF games. I don't know if it's possible, but perhaps we could have the ability to either start in a fixed 32 team 8-division league or start in 6 division leagues with 29, 30, 32, or 34 teams. The 6 division league would eventually max out at 36 team (like FOF2001).

Pyser
09-06-2004, 05:23 PM
- more flexibility in negotiating and renegotiating contracts (in multiplayer, you basically have to give them what they want to renegotiate)

- the ability to promote asst coaches

- the ability to sign other teams assistants as your head coach, regardless of if he is under contract or not

- in the game log, i want to know who each pass was completed against, and what defensive formation the defense was in

- added stats to the offensive line to include penalties. how many holding, false starts, etc (for all players, actually)

- coaching "styles" (west coast, smashmouth, zone blitz)

- the ability to reach an "injury settlement", instead of carrying a guy with an 80-week injury for 2-3 seasons

- the new nfl rule where veterans count for less against the cap if they sign for the vet. minimum

- restricted free agency (tendering players at a level, trading, etc)

- more "incentive" options (playing time, etc)

- not tying injuries to the head coach

- way more holdouts

- proper depth charts on the o-line (not having the ai recommend a guard backs up a center, and a center backing up a guard)

Bad-example
09-06-2004, 05:27 PM
1 - TCY/FOF integration is number one on my wish list.

2 - Full screen support. I would like to see a full screen version of FOF with an emphasis on reducing scroll bars.

3 - Owners. I think adding owners to the game could help with the immersion factor. If we are the GM, wouldn't it be nice if the boss shot us an email once in a while?

4 - Game Summary. After simming a week, I always look at the box score to see the details of how the game went. It would be nice to see a game summary that took the best (most pertinant) elements of the game log and box score and presented them in a more useful and easy to digest screen. If not that, then perhaps hyperlinks could be enabled in the box score screen.

5 - Player Ratings. Want to know how your DE is rated when you want to start him at DT? I think adding tabs at the top of the player ratings section would be a big upgrade. You should have at least a rough idea what to expect from your players when you play them out of position. Tabs with seperate ratings by position would add to the game strategy.

6 - Starting players. Adding a toggle in the scout overview screen to designate and lock in your starters. I like to set my 46 active players and let the coach handle game day decisions. For me, a checkbox or toggle would be most welcome.

MizzouRah
09-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Since this is stickied, I guess FOF 2006 is coming out! Thanks, Skydog!! :p

Todd

Ben E Lou
09-06-2004, 06:18 PM
{Throws trout across room at Todd.}

Pyser
09-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Since this is stickied, I guess FOF 2006 is coming out! Thanks, Skydog!! :p

Todd

id settle for fof2005 :)

Flasch186
09-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Fof2004 leagues are upgradeable to any new versions

TCY players better reflected in FOF

Player cards, with highlights of career

Suicane75
09-06-2004, 08:17 PM
I think my ultimate wet dream is the FOF engine mixed with the old FBPro graphical interface, my god I just messed myself.

But seriously, looking over this thread I almost feel bad for Jim when it comes to the next version, cause I look at alot of the suggestions and I see such a diverse set of wants that it almost makes you lose sight of the fact that the game is so kick ass as is.

MizzouRah
09-06-2004, 08:59 PM
{Throws trout across room at Todd.}
Ouch! :)

Hmmm...

1. More graphics ;)
2. Better roster management AI for cpu teams
3. More robust draft module

Todd

Abe Sargent
09-06-2004, 10:57 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: The game is simply not realistic enough for me. I want a more realistic GM game with more options -

Transition Tags
Real Restricted Free Agency
Exclusive Rights Players
Incentive Clauses
Escalators
Compensatory Picks
Playing Time Issues
European Issued Players and NFL-E Exemptions
The Veteran Vested Bonus

Also:

I want expansion, but I can play the game without it. The game with expansion, however, will get my dollars (if any competing game is released with it).

Player Behaviorial Issues (Drugs, Crime, Rookie-itis, etc)
Media Involvement
Finally an intelligent AI

When FOF6 is eventually released, I will not purchase it without significant additions. I've purchased the last three FOFs, and I've been disappointed with the amount of "real" improvements, as opposed to bells and whistles.

I don't care how smooth the next installment's interface is, how multiplayer compatible it may or may not be, how pretty the new graphics are, or any of that. If it is not a better game (and by better I mean more realistic), then I will simply not play it, not purchase it, and will go elsewhere for my text sim playing.

-Anxiety

Abe Sargent
09-06-2004, 11:04 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: The game is simply not realistic enough for me. I want a more realistic GM game with more options -

Transition Tags
Real Restricted Free Agency
Exclusive Rights Players
Incentive Clauses
Escalators
Compensatory Picks
Playing Time Issues
European Issued Players and NFL-E Exemptions
The Veteran Vested Bonus

Also:

I want expansion, but I can play the game without it. The game with expansion, however, will get my dollars (if any competing game is released with it).

Player Behaviorial Issues (Drugs, Crime, Rookie-itis, etc)
Media Involvement
Finally an intelligent AI

When FOF6 is eventually released, I will not purchase it without significant additions. I've purchased the last three FOFs, and I've been disappointed with the amount of "real" improvements, as opposed to bells and whistles.

I don't care how smooth the next installment's interface is, how multiplayer compatible it may or may not be, how pretty the new graphics are, or any of that. If it is not a better game (and by better I mean more realistic), then I will simply not play it, not purchase it, and will go elsewhere for my text sim playing.

-Anxiety

Dola -

These are certainly not the only ways to make FOF6 more realistic. TPF and even MADDEN for Christsakes treat the draft better than FOF does. So there are a plethora of ways to make the game fun (I wouldn't mind Madden level involvement with parking, advertisment, concessions, entertainment, additional stadium options, lights, naming rights, and so forth. The interaction between the financial side of things and the football side of things is gravy)

My point was just that FOF is still far and away from being an accurate sim of professional football, and each step should take strides to being more realistic.

I'd much rather prefer a game that is more realistic to a game that includes astrological sign and compatibility based on that (find something worthwhile to base cohesiveness around - like MBTI or something).

-Anxiety

cthomer5000
09-06-2004, 11:14 PM
I'd much rather prefer a game that is more realistic to a game that includes astrological sign and compatibility based on that (find something worthwhile to base cohesiveness around - like MBTI or something). I think what it's based on is pretty much irrelevant. What I would like to see is it being less predictable. As it is you can predict with 100% certainty the effect that adding a player will have on a team.

I would like to see the chemistry/player personalities become less predicatable. One thing I wouldn't mind seeing borrowed from the online soccer sim hattrick is the possibility of any player getting off to a bad start with his team. I think FOF could use some sort of measure of team morale and/or confidence. This would also allow for a bigger role for a coaches 'discipline' and 'motivation' ratings. A coach will better discipline would be less likely to have players get into trouble/cause locker-room issues, and a coach with good motivation would do a better job of keeping his team from getting to over-confident or beaten down.

stevew
09-06-2004, 11:46 PM
I would love to have Roster Bonus's. If you are under the cap significantly one offseason it would be great to be able to give someone a 10 million dollar bonus and not have to deal with the cap hit on a year to year basis.

Karim
09-06-2004, 11:57 PM
My top three:

- customizable league sizes
- promising a role to players and the implications associated with doing so
- injuries, transactions and awards tracked on the player card

Flasch186
09-07-2004, 12:21 AM
it would be crushing to not be able to import fof2k4 leagues

duckman
09-07-2004, 01:31 AM
More cowbell.

Honolulu Blue
09-07-2004, 05:20 AM
This is HB #2 here, in case my evil twin should happen to chime in.

FOF6/2005/whatever is far down on the list of desirable games for me. I liked the latest version and don't think that Jim could make enough changes to it to make it a worthwhile purchase for me. He could surprise me, though. Anyway, my list (not in order):

Higher difficulty - Actually, this one IS in order. I've been harping on this since FOF2001 - the game makes it far too easy for the average human player (i.e. me) to walk all over the computer opposition despite house rules designed to prevent this. Better roster management AI would help, but probably the only long-run solution is to have the computer do things the human player can't do.

More player/staff/coach/owner/media interaction - Sometimes the players just feel like a line of numbers. This would help prevent that.

Make it easier to make global changes in the gameplan - When I want to run more across the board, I'd rather hit a slider or change one number than change 160. The option, of course, should still be there for those who really want to manipulate all those numbers.

Expansion - Yeah, I know Jim has said it would be tough to implement, and yeah, I know it's been suggested before. But there's something special about being able to set up a team from scratch, knowing that every player is there because you selected them personally. Not a perfect solution, but an "empty cupboard" toggle for a couple of the bad teams in the league (Arizona? San Diego?) where you'd start with expansion-like options could provide some of the thrills of building a team without unbalancing the game too much.

More financial realism & options - The financial end of the game has barely changed since FOF Classic, and what was adequate in 1998 is feeling a little threadbare now. Finances should matter more than they do and the limits on what the GM can do should be sharper.

More whimsy - A little bit of it was there in FOF2004, but I'd like to see the junk e-mails from FOF Classic make a comeback. One or two out of a pool of a couple of hundred during the season would make a surprising difference in my enjoyment of the game.

oykib
09-07-2004, 05:42 AM
How 'bout a sticky for features we want in Front Office Baseball (the game we all know is really coming out)?

Hell things are getting sticky for me n here just thinking about it. ;)

QuikSand
09-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Lots of good ideas in here. I'd expand on one of them, in particular. I think the whole "staff" regimen in FOF 2004 could be strengthened, and could become a really interesting and important part of the game -- fulfilling some more of the promise that we see already.

Here are some ideas -- some of which might not work well together, but all are with the same goal in mind, to make the staff side of the game more interesting:

- Coordinators that make a difference in the team's on-field performance, rather than just player development. In real football, the first thing we think about with an OC/DC is that he sill have a *major* role in the playcalling and the strategies on his side of the field. In FOF, this seems to be nonexistant. I'd like to see, at the least, the "playcalling" functions be split between the coordinator and the head coach.

- Player development, I'm flexible on. I don't think you want the coordinators to have too large a role, so maybe this ought to also be split between the appropriate coordinator and the head coach.

-Leave motivation and discipline as solely the Head Coach's effect.

- The individuals who come "out of nowhere" and become coach candidates are presumably reflecting college coaches who have made the leap to the pros. If so, why not give us something to judge them on -- some collegiate record of some sort? Maybe even have successful coaches jump from TCY to FOF?

- Make the development of a young coaching staff candidate more outwardly dynamic, based on experience. A young individual who gets a job as a coordinator ought to develop those skills over time -- and that is the sort of individual who ought to be a most attractive head coach candidate.

- Anecdotally, I am told that former players eventually start showing up in the coaching pool. I'd like to see this become much more visible. I'd like to see a pretty fair number of the "legends of the game" and HOF-worthy players at least appear in the coaching pool, even if they aren't all going to be standout coaches. (Maybe the INT rating can have a connection here?) I'd also like to see a connection between their playing position and their strengths -- a retired DB who becomes a coach ought to have better understanding of, say, defensive schemes and perhaps the offensive passing game, plus he ought to have a good rating with DBs to start with. Perhaps in time he'd develop his own batch of strengths, but initially, I'd like to feel that it's "the same guy" to some degree.

- Another offbeat idea - maybe we need some kind of "fog of war" with staffers, rather than seeing their full complement of abilities? When hiring an offensive coordinator, maybe I should just see the style he prefers, the formations he prefers, and some information on his track record. Perhaps I'd get more information (like the positional ratings) only if we "interview" him? (This has the ability to get out of control, but it could be a little like TCY recruiting, I guess)

As I currently play FOF, any my staff members is universally just "some guy," a set of nondescript ratings that I glance at briefly once every few years when it's contract time. I don't have much of any connection to my staff the way I do with many of my players.

I am reluctant to say that the staffing needs more depth -- I don't think that adding more staff positions is the way to go, but perhaps some of the things above would make that element of the game more dynamic. I agree, also, that a more open market for staff members (not just when their contracts expire) would add a lot.

The trouble is -- since the financial side of this game is nearly meaningless, how do you keep the human player from just getting all the best staffers possible by making big bids? Maybe a boosted staffing side must be coupled with a boosted financial side... which raises a whole set of difficult issues. Perhaps the game could include some kind of overall "non-salary" cap, which might cover everything including coach and coordinator salaries, scouting staff, stadium costs, training facilities (which might connect somehow to player development) and player amenities (which might connect somehow to your ability to sign/re-sign free agents). I think there has to be a sense of "trade-off" in any element of these games -- maybe having some reasonably meaningful elements competing up against your staf salaries would be a way to make this more interesting? (Just a stream of consciousness there, not too well thought out)

Dutch
09-07-2004, 09:11 AM
To add to that QS, (I agree with most all of that btw) the HC should be responsible for OC and DC mentoring. You hire a 38 year old DC, your HC should be able to "mold" him into a better playcaller, or developer, or what have you.

gottimd
09-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Having a playoff scenario screen after Week 11 would be nice, as in what needs to happen for each team to get in the playoffs.

Record breaking, when it occurs, put it in the PBP, whether it be a team or league record, if possible.

Have the scouts and staff suggest players in Free Agency in an email that address your teams weaknesses.

Game summary (not box score or plays) that gives you a brief synopsis of the game and the player performances.

Ability in Single Play to edit player files even after a career has started.

Rule Changes that you can vote on and/or realignment/expansion/team movement

Counter offers to trades. Rather than "Needs significantly more draft choices....." or "Not enough talent", the AI would have improved messages or counter offers like "To get that trade, team x would require player x to compensate for that trade".

Extend Trade Deadline toggle.

Player synopsis on each card, that says something brief about him (injury prone, star player,etc)

oykib
09-07-2004, 10:13 AM
I'll second the more depth in the draft. Also, I'd like more depth in the special teams area.

The real trouble on final cut down day almost always comes down to the third RB's or fourth and fifth DB's ability to play specials that lead to who gets kept and who gets cut.

The AI roster management also needs more work. But I think the fact that this is the #1 want kind of precludes the addition of more than two or three significant features.

Dutch
09-07-2004, 10:36 AM
I agree.

I don't know how you do it, but maybe keep a record of gunners being able to avoid defenders and make the tackle on the ball carrier to stuff the return or force a fair catch? Keep track of how many kick hold's were fumbled or not set up right?

That might be getting a little too detailed, but the attributes are there and they obviously are there to track something, so it might be easy to set up.

g206029
09-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Not a post addressed this. Offensive and Defensive systems with Coaches and Scout to draft players to fit the system. We should get the option to run a ball-control/Play-action, a Run-n-Gun, a West Coast, or Balanced attack and have the tendicies predetermined (but adjustable). Defensive systems should include the 3-4 Zone Blitz, 4-3, 4-6, Cover-2, and the 4-3 Hybrid (uses situation fronts like New England, Baltimore, and Jacksonville). This allows a team to delevop an identity and owners to really put there stamps on a team. Also allows you to draft to YOUR system.

g206029
09-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Excellent points. This and the ability to cite your go-to guys would make this a damn good FOF6

Lots of good ideas in here. I'd expand on one of them, in particular. I think the whole "staff" regimen in FOF 2004 could be strengthened, and could become a really interesting and important part of the game -- fulfilling some more of the promise that we see already.

Here are some ideas -- some of which might not work well together, but all are with the same goal in mind, to make the staff side of the game more interesting:

- Coordinators that make a difference in the team's on-field performance, rather than just player development. In real football, the first thing we think about with an OC/DC is that he sill have a *major* role in the playcalling and the strategies on his side of the field. In FOF, this seems to be nonexistant. I'd like to see, at the least, the "playcalling" functions be split between the coordinator and the head coach.

- Player development, I'm flexible on. I don't think you want the coordinators to have too large a role, so maybe this ought to also be split between the appropriate coordinator and the head coach.

-Leave motivation and discipline as solely the Head Coach's effect.

- The individuals who come "out of nowhere" and become coach candidates are presumably reflecting college coaches who have made the leap to the pros. If so, why not give us something to judge them on -- some collegiate record of some sort? Maybe even have successful coaches jump from TCY to FOF?

- Make the development of a young coaching staff candidate more outwardly dynamic, based on experience. A young individual who gets a job as a coordinator ought to develop those skills over time -- and that is the sort of individual who ought to be a most attractive head coach candidate.

- Anecdotally, I am told that former players eventually start showing up in the coaching pool. I'd like to see this become much more visible. I'd like to see a pretty fair number of the "legends of the game" and HOF-worthy players at least appear in the coaching pool, even if they aren't all going to be standout coaches. (Maybe the INT rating can have a connection here?) I'd also like to see a connection between their playing position and their strengths -- a retired DB who becomes a coach ought to have better understanding of, say, defensive schemes and perhaps the offensive passing game, plus he ought to have a good rating with DBs to start with. Perhaps in time he'd develop his own batch of strengths, but initially, I'd like to feel that it's "the same guy" to some degree.

- Another offbeat idea - maybe we need some kind of "fog of war" with staffers, rather than seeing their full complement of abilities? When hiring an offensive coordinator, maybe I should just see the style he prefers, the formations he prefers, and some information on his track record. Perhaps I'd get more information (like the positional ratings) only if we "interview" him? (This has the ability to get out of control, but it could be a little like TCY recruiting, I guess)

As I currently play FOF, any my staff members is universally just "some guy," a set of nondescript ratings that I glance at briefly once every few years when it's contract time. I don't have much of any connection to my staff the way I do with many of my players.

I am reluctant to say that the staffing needs more depth -- I don't think that adding more staff positions is the way to go, but perhaps some of the things above would make that element of the game more dynamic. I agree, also, that a more open market for staff members (not just when their contracts expire) would add a lot.

The trouble is -- since the financial side of this game is nearly meaningless, how do you keep the human player from just getting all the best staffers possible by making big bids? Maybe a boosted staffing side must be coupled with a boosted financial side... which raises a whole set of difficult issues. Perhaps the game could include some kind of overall "non-salary" cap, which might cover everything including coach and coordinator salaries, scouting staff, stadium costs, training facilities (which might connect somehow to player development) and player amenities (which might connect somehow to your ability to sign/re-sign free agents). I think there has to be a sense of "trade-off" in any element of these games -- maybe having some reasonably meaningful elements competing up against your staf salaries would be a way to make this more interesting? (Just a stream of consciousness there, not too well thought out)

Gallifrey
09-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Not a post addressed this. Offensive and Defensive systems with Coaches and Scout to draft players to fit the system. We should get the option to run a ball-control/Play-action, a Run-n-Gun, a West Coast, or Balanced attack and have the tendicies predetermined (but adjustable). Defensive systems should include the 3-4 Zone Blitz, 4-3, 4-6, Cover-2, and the 4-3 Hybrid (uses situation fronts like New England, Baltimore, and Jacksonville). This allows a team to delevop an identity and owners to really put there stamps on a team. Also allows you to draft to YOUR system.

I like this point. Even if we get advice on which players in the draft would best fit the system...in our scouts and coaches minds.

BigJohn&TheLions
09-07-2004, 04:31 PM
In game information about injuries. Instead of just a "serious injury" it would be nice to know a vague description like "37 Layne is down on the play, he's holding his knee and doesn't look good"

Info on penalties on the offensive line. Instead of just holding, tell me who held. And allow for substitution on the offensive line during the game (If a guy holds on 3 straight plays or gives up sack after sack, get him out of there!)

Defensive substitutions in game would be nice too...

Computer initiated trading during the season and draft.

hukarez
09-07-2004, 04:47 PM
I thought FOF2K4 had this already? Hmm. I'm going to have to pay attention to my transaction logs then. I would've thought draft picks and the like were being exchanged on occasion.

BigJohn&TheLions
09-07-2004, 04:57 PM
I thought FOF2K4 had this already? Hmm. I'm going to have to pay attention to my transaction logs then. I would've thought draft picks and the like were being exchanged on occasion.

To be more specific, I meant the computer would initiate trades with ME during the draft and season... :D

It would be nice to sit there at #32 and have a team offer me next year's 1st rounder for it...

Icy
09-07-2004, 05:14 PM
In game information about injuries. Instead of just a "serious injury" it would be nice to know a vague description like "37 Layne is down on the play, he's holding his knee and doesn't look good"

Info on penalties on the offensive line. Instead of just holding, tell me who held. And allow for substitution on the offensive line during the game (If a guy holds on 3 straight plays or gives up sack after sack, get him out of there!)

Defensive substitutions in game would be nice too...

Totally agree, also i would be able to change startegies at least for each quarter or halftime. Mybe my gameplan was totally wrong or unable to beat the other team so i would like to be able to change it.

hukarez
09-07-2004, 05:25 PM
To be more specific, I meant the computer would initiate trades with ME during the draft and season... :D

It would be nice to sit there at #32 and have a team offer me next year's 1st rounder for it...
Ahh! I see what you mean. I have noticed that in my universe, it seems that the CPU initiates draft picks/player trades with me after the draft. I never really thought about this until now. Huh...!

The_herd
09-07-2004, 06:16 PM
People that hate the micro-management aspects of FOF can just skip this one.

My Raiders of the HFL just reminded me of something that's been bothering me. This will probably make the anti micro-management crowd cringe, but there needs to be a way to differentiate between your backs when they are in the game. My Raiders have Gale Sayers starting and the backups are Preston Pearson and my Fullback, Walt Garrison. Pearson and Sayers are both speed backs that excel at getting around the corner. Garrison, on the other hand, gets 8-10 carries per game and has no business running sweeps. No coach in his right mind would call an outside run, let alone 4-5, with a 240lb fullback that is built for running between the tackles to set up the outside run for the other backs.

I think a set of drop-down options that broadly define the way the back is used and use the run percentages you set as the average.

For example, after setting your run percentages, you would then have the option of setting your running backs as "balanced", which goes strictly by the percentages you set. As an "Outside runner" that boosts the amount of runs to the outside while taking away from his between the tackles carries. Or as a "between the tackles" or "power" runner, which of course means he gets less carries outside the tackles and instead focuses on the inside runs.

CHEMICAL SOLDIER
09-07-2004, 07:12 PM
A newspaper would be nice also. It would also be nice if it kept track of how many times a player has been named POTW and such.

VPI97
09-07-2004, 07:16 PM
For example, after setting your run percentages, you would then have the option of setting your running backs as "balanced", which goes strictly by the percentages you set. As an "Outside runner" that boosts the amount of runs to the outside while taking away from his between the tackles carries. Or as a "between the tackles" or "power" runner, which of course means he gets less carries outside the tackles and instead focuses on the inside runs.Agreed. My HFL squad has two average running backs...one who I would want to send outside the majority of the time...the other who I want between the tackles. It's pretty much a crapshoot as to who is getting which carries right now.

Chubby
09-07-2004, 08:28 PM
A newspaper would be nice also. It would also be nice if it kept track of how many times a player has been named POTW and such.

I agree with this, I kept losing track of all the POTW Teeters got :D

SFL Cat
09-07-2004, 08:29 PM
My wish list

Flexibility in league creation -- If I want to set up a league to resemble the 1920 APFA, then I should have the ability to do so. Also some flexibility in the postseason -- i.e. follow the typical NFL postseason forumla or set up your own. Also, it would be really cool to be able to run a "rebel" league (i.e. AFL, USFL, XFL) against the establishment (NFL). In such a case, finances would be more than an afterthought, it would determine whether your league survives and thrives...or crashes and burns.

Owner/GM or Coaching option -- I would love to have the option to be one or the other!

Flexible league options -- i.e. Yes or No to a salary cap. Different league rules (i.e. kickoffs from the 40 for a 1970s league).

Expansion -- I miss it...I really do.

Better Player Interaction -- Players in FOF do seem more like stat lines and ratings than real live flesh-and-blood people. It would be nice to have them fleshed out a little better in the game and to behave with a certain logic (or illogic) in their dealings with you. For example, a player and/or agent can give me some idea why he signed for less with another team when he supposedly was very loyal to my team -- i.e. "I like playing for your team, but I felt a strong leading from the Lord to sign with the Dolphins" -- just don't leave me there to scratch my head. Also, more give-and-take during contract negotiations would be nice -- have some players and their agents willing to meet you halfway during negotiations or suggest things that might make your current offer a little more tempting. It would be great for some players to have over-the-top personalities -- i.e. Neon Deion, Warren Sapp, Keyshawn's "throw me the damn ball" tirades, etc.

Player Prospects/Attributes -- In addition to combine scores, I'd love to be able follow the career and season stats of a college player. I'd love for height and weight to actually mean something in FOF. I don't care how spectacular a 220 lb. defensive end is in college. If the guy goes pro, he is facing an uphill battle as a DE. A 260 lb. tackle is going to have a tough time against a bull-rushing 280-290 lb. DE. Also, a short QB is going to have more passes batted down at the line and is going to have a tougher time seeing downfield. I would also love to see college players "bulk-up" for the pros -- i.e. a scout could report "At 270, he's light for a pro offensive guard, but with his frame we think he can bulk-up to 300 with no problems. Also have certain players (i.e. that 220 lb. college DE) move to a position that better suits their size/weight in the pros (in this case the DE moves to LB). It would also be nice to be able to follow prospects in other leagues (i.e. top performers in the CFL, arena league, NFL-Europe).

More media interaction -- This would be a great touch. Predominately national coverage -- but it would be nice to see some local market stuff too. I would love to see a few fan quotes from your team's local sports-talk radio shows -- i.e. "Joe Blow sucks at QB"; "Our team can't run the damn ball"; "Coach such-and-such needs to go;"
"I can't believe that schmuck owner raised ticket prices again...and 20 bucks to park...what's up with that?"

Fleshed out coaches -- They come with specific philosophies (i.e. west coast, vertical passing game, smash mouth). It could make for interesting conflicts with the GM (i.e. you want more passing and the coach fires back, "I don't do passing") or players (Star QB says, "my talents are being wasted in this offense). Ditto for OCs and DCs. It would be interesting to see relationships develop between the HC and his staff and to see a good majority of them follow the HC from one team to another (as happens quite often in the NFL). Certain OCs or DCs could also adopt the philosophies of their "mentor" head coaches when they are hired as HC.

Actual Plays Being the control freak that I am, I would love to be able to add a playbook of specific plays to my gameplan.

That's all for now.

hukarez
09-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Everytime I play, I always have the calculator open in another window when sorting out my universe's Kickers. Just figured it'd be nice to not have to do the division myself, and have their FG percentage listed somewhere!

Chubby
09-07-2004, 09:19 PM
well #1, as many people have already said I'd like to see more media/player interaction.

#2 I'd like the option to not see the results directly after games are simmed. You should be able to "watch" (whether it be PBP or a graphical X's vs O's) the game (results and game log already decided by the engine) without knowing the outcome. This would be fantastic with MP as you could download the latest files then watch your game unfold.

jbmagic
09-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I bet that the sim rates are pretty damn quick on a new computer!

I'm gonna try using FbPro97 & Baseball Pro 98...

i hear fbpro 98 was iis better than fbpro97

BigJohn&TheLions
09-07-2004, 11:19 PM
i hear fbpro 98 was iis better than fbpro97

I just realized I put my comment in the wrong thread. I deleted it and put it in the right place... Sorry.

The_herd
09-08-2004, 06:28 AM
More varied player development, especially Quarterbacks. What FOF struggles to show us from a player development standpoint is players like Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, or Akili Smith. These players, especially Leaf and Smith, had all the tools and were given multiple chances by multiple teams. Busts shouldn't just have their green bars disappear. They should stay there and tempt people to pick them up. This would simulate him having the physical tools to succeed, but something else is missing. We see players who, by their 4th or 5th year, have little or no green bars left and there is no reason to roll the dice on the guy taken in the top 5 in the draft a few seasons ago.

There also isn't anything that tells me at the combine that this guy throws the ball 80+ yards with a perfect spiral. Instead, we mostly do the opposite of what pro teams do and we rely heavily on the worderlic scores of the kid. The closest thing we have to saying the guy has physical tools is the volitility rating.

Also, I'd like to see more variations in the types of Quarterback out there. Most guys that specialize in "short passes" wouldn't have a 90+ rating in long passes. These guys are usually this way because they either lack accuracy on the deep ball or they simply don't have the arm strength. Once again, I'd like to see physical abilities play more of a role in what type of Quarterback he is and what his ratings look like.

g206029
09-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Reading this----game may never come out because Jim works alone, right?

I've bought every version too and I'd be hard pressed to buy again without some major improvements. :)

bdem
09-09-2004, 07:21 AM
This series is by far the best in any sports sim. I hope it keeps going. Some changes or additions I would like if possible.

1) Show how many Super Bowls a player has won. (ex. Rings)

2) When relocating a team to another city, the attendance should not be so low. If a new city has accepted a bid to have the team come in than attendance should be very high for the first few years at least.

3) There should be some sort of AI improvement that does not allow a Star QB, or for that fact any Star player becoming an UFA early in their career.

4) If you trade a Star player away and he is in the last year of a contract. The team that gave up picks and players should sign him once he is traded or at least after the season

5) Retirement AI change - If a player is on the cusp of breaking a record (such as career rushing) they might think twice about retiring. I had one guy retire before breaking the all-time rushing record 10 yards short.

6) Ability to add graphics to player and coach faces, team logos, stadium shots etc. I think this will add to the overall depth.

7) ESPN sports center type of matchup pre-game and post-game.

8) Better Draft presentation. Maybe a big draft board?

9) The whole FB pass catching thing.

Thanks!!!!!!!

BigJohn&TheLions
09-09-2004, 03:58 PM
A couple more...

Have a vote on franchise relocation. I'd like to know that a team wants to move, and have a vote in it. Then, you know when a team is moving, and might be able to help stop them from doing it.

When a team is building a new stadium, allow for the climate to have some say in the stadium. In my current game, San Diego built a dome and Minnesota plays outdoors (which I like!) I happen to like open-air football in the elements, like the game was meant to be played. An option at the start of a career to weigh what the likelyhood of new construction should be. (So you could set something like: Open/Grass 70%, Open/turf, 10%, Dome 10%, Retractable roof 10%) It would also be nice to be able to make the call on whether or not to open a retractable dome. As the rules are, you have to have it open unless the weather is really bad. In the game, it acts like a closed dome, no matter what.

jbmagic
09-09-2004, 04:59 PM
2d graphic
and sound

MizzouRah
09-10-2004, 10:33 PM
The ability to fire any coach during the season... and your scout for that matter. :)

Todd

Dutch
09-11-2004, 09:14 PM
More varied player development, especially Quarterbacks. What FOF struggles to show us from a player development standpoint is players like Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, or Akili Smith. These players, especially Leaf and Smith, had all the tools and were given multiple chances by multiple teams. Busts shouldn't just have their green bars disappear. They should stay there and tempt people to pick them up. This would simulate him having the physical tools to succeed, but something else is missing. We see players who, by their 4th or 5th year, have little or no green bars left and there is no reason to roll the dice on the guy taken in the top 5 in the draft a few seasons ago.

There also isn't anything that tells me at the combine that this guy throws the ball 80+ yards with a perfect spiral. Instead, we mostly do the opposite of what pro teams do and we rely heavily on the worderlic scores of the kid. The closest thing we have to saying the guy has physical tools is the volitility rating.

Also, I'd like to see more variations in the types of Quarterback out there. Most guys that specialize in "short passes" wouldn't have a 90+ rating in long passes. These guys are usually this way because they either lack accuracy on the deep ball or they simply don't have the arm strength. Once again, I'd like to see physical abilities play more of a role in what type of Quarterback he is and what his ratings look like.

That would be kind of cool, except in RL, you can kind of tell something just isn't right with Ryan Leaf. There would have to be some more input that you had to decipher for yourself. Where some would say, "Oh I've seen this before, but when this happened to my guy, I cut him and he turned out to be a stud." or "Oh I've seen this before and the guy ended up in prison."

I just don't know how you can mislead by showing the guy is great on the bars and then he just blows for real. There's just not enough information, and if the game becomes too random, where too many times the bars are meaningless, it could get tricky.

I like the concept, but I don't know if I like the implementation of the idea.

Troll
09-11-2004, 10:07 PM
I haven't read this whole thread but the ONLY thing that would make me buy another FOF within several years time is if the game had a media feature.

If you have 2 equal players at a position, maybe they would get emails for the "media" asking you to name a starter during the pre-season. It could give you 3 choices, the 2 players and then a "no comment." This could be used in QB "controversy's(sp?)" as well. They could also ask for answers on why a guy who hasn't been playing well is still playing.

A mock draft would be great, as well as local fans "expecting" a player to be taken and being upset if you pass on him. I'm looking at the Eagles pick of McNabb here which had the local fans very upset.

Newpapers publish information about the games and second guess your coaching style in losses. Maybe they could even ask for the coach's head.

Player's speak out about their position on the team if they don't like it. Although this shouldn't go to the point of madden where every backup is pisses. Player's could get an attitude rating and only if it is low would they be unhappy.

Maybe you can release press releases about other players, owners, and coaches to spice up games.

And about all, make all this actually make a difference in games.

I would also like to see college player updates throughout the season if you don't have a TCY game going with it. Maybe b/f each season it asks if you will be importing in the offseason. If you select no it will "generate" stats and hype for players who will be eligible in the draft. This way you KNOW if that bigtime QB you have been wanting will be sitting there come draft time.

stevew
09-12-2004, 01:53 AM
It would also be nice to trade drafted players immediately after the draft, and before you sign them to a contract. Especially in a multiplayer setting. If you dont have cap room to sign a guy, you gotta cut that guy and waste that pick, or let him reeneter the draft.

stevew
09-12-2004, 01:55 AM
well #1, as many people have already said I'd like to see more media/player interaction.

#2 I'd like the option to not see the results directly after games are simmed. You should be able to "watch" (whether it be PBP or a graphical X's vs O's) the game (results and game log already decided by the engine) without knowing the outcome. This would be fantastic with MP as you could download the latest files then watch your game unfold.
Yeah, that would be a nice feature. Not knowing the score if you choose to would be key to those that dont like spoilers.

Ben E Lou
09-13-2004, 12:51 PM
OK. This has been up for a week now. I'm unstickying it. To find this in the future, check the top of the reference thread.

amdaily
09-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Don't know if it was mentioned, but playoff stats on the player card, and the ability to lock a player in as a starter (whether on the depth chart or a button on the player card itself).

The_herd
09-13-2004, 03:04 PM
A career playoff leaders. Not just single game playoff leaders.

fantastic flying froggies
09-14-2004, 07:42 AM
- the ability to manage multiple saved MP games
- training camp really needs to be improved

Samdari
09-14-2004, 07:58 AM
it would be crushing to not be able to import fof2k4 leagues

Yes, obviously if the next version includes new features (especially the seemingly popular player histories) the data structure of the the saved games will necesarily change. This is what has prevented careers from being imported across versions. But, with the advent of multiplayer (and it will be nice in single player too) there needs to be some sort of integrated import function, or standalone "converter" program.

druez
09-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Almost forgot......Head to Head online multiplayer........(drools)

That is the number one featuer I would like to see also.

mckerney
09-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Two of the top things I'd like to see in a FOF6:

-Removal of players refusing to sign with a team for past injustices when that injustice is being cut.

-Removal of formations known for QBs.

amdaily
09-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Two of the top things I'd like to see in a FOF6:
-Removal of formations known for QBs.
Agreed. This must go back to training camp as a team attribute.

Ben E Lou
09-26-2004, 03:33 PM
I'd like to see a combination of the past two methods. Give each QB a "% familiarity" rating with each formation, that carries with him throughout his career. The more times he's on the field for that formation during the season, the more it goes up, but it would gradually drop each season if that formaiton was run less than X% of the time. Then, as in pre-2K4 versions, give each team the opportunity to work on each formation in training camp. Your QBs' formation familiarity ratings would improve in the formations that he worked on a good bit in training camp, and your team overall would come out of camp with formation familiarities, which would be determined as a combination of your passing cohesion, o-line cohesion and your QB's familiarity rating.

Dutch
09-26-2004, 03:41 PM
I wonder if it would be feasable (or even realistic) to have a Kicker "clutch" attribute when they are kicking for the win or tie inside of 2 minutes of the 4th quarter. And keep track then of a kickers game winning field goals.

Just an idea to consider.

JimboJ
09-26-2004, 08:49 PM
please, please, please... fix the clock management AI.

I know you simmers couldn't care less about this, but I play out all my games, and this is incredibly frustrating. I was playing in the Super Bowl, and my team had a 10-9 lead in the final minute of the game. My team had the ball around mid-field, and I proceded to run out the clock. The CPU team had 3 time outs, and just let the clock run out with using a time out!!

Sometimes the CPU will use TO's on defense, but every once in a while, something like this happens. And the fact that it was the Super bowl, just made it all the more frustrating. Damn, that bugs the hell outta me! :mad:

gstelmack
09-26-2004, 09:06 PM
And there's the whole "tie game, you're in the red zone, 11 seconds left, coordinator runs another play, it's a running play, and the clock runs out instead of you kicking the field goal".

The_herd
09-26-2004, 09:15 PM
I've been playing TCY and I've been reminded of some of the wonderful things the AI does in that.

Such as:

*Go for it on 4th down anytime a team is between the 35-45 yard lines.
*Offensive team calls timeout late in the game before punting.

As much as I love TCY, the more I play it now, the more I really hope that TCY2 is Jim's next game.

Joe
09-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Such as:

*Go for it on 4th down anytime a team is between the 35-45 yard lines.

Wow, I didn't know that Mike Tice coached a college team.

mckerney
09-27-2004, 12:07 AM
I'd like to see a combination of the past two methods. Give each QB a "% familiarity" rating with each formation, that carries with him throughout his career. The more times he's on the field for that formation during the season, the more it goes up, but it would gradually drop each season if that formaiton was run less than X% of the time. Then, as in pre-2K4 versions, give each team the opportunity to work on each formation in training camp. Your QBs' formation familiarity ratings would improve in the formations that he worked on a good bit in training camp, and your team overall would come out of camp with formation familiarities, which would be determined as a combination of your passing cohesion, o-line cohesion and your QB's familiarity rating.

Agreed with the familiarity rating. It'd be nice if it was not only through training camp, but through weekly practices as well. Also having ability to learn familiarity dependent on the QBs. This didn't bother me as much in the past being I didn't do much gameplanning, but it's starting to more now that I am working on gameplanning. The idea a pro QB wouldn't be able to learn a formation is quite a big problem in gameplanning to me.

The one that's always bugged me the most is the past injustices thing. Look at any pro roster and you'll likely see a few players that have been cut by the team they're on. Hell, looking at the Vikings roster there are a few players that they cut earlier this season back on the team.

It'd also be nice to have a practice squad. I think I remember Jim saying in the past that it wasn't worth it because any team can sign a player that's on a practice squad, but it'd be nice to have the spots to develop players with.

Young Drachma
09-27-2004, 01:14 AM
How 'bout a sticky for features we want in Front Office Baseball
heck yeah

MrHaroldG
09-27-2004, 03:21 AM
I, personally, would like to see a playoff system similar to the one of 1982: eight teams in each conference - the four division champions and four wild cards. (I only have the demo and don't know if this playoff system already is implemented. If it is...my bad.)

DolphinFan1
09-27-2004, 04:58 AM
please, please, please... fix the clock management AI.

I know you simmers couldn't care less about this, but I play out all my games, and this is incredibly frustrating. I was playing in the Super Bowl, and my team had a 10-9 lead in the final minute of the game. My team had the ball around mid-field, and I proceded to run out the clock. The CPU team had 3 time outs, and just let the clock run out with using a time out!!

Sometimes the CPU will use TO's on defense, but every once in a while, something like this happens. And the fact that it was the Super bowl, just made it all the more frustrating. Damn, that bugs the hell outta me! :mad:

I second this. This happens to me a lot also because I also play out my games. :mad:

Ben E Lou
09-27-2004, 05:19 AM
Merging this with the "Ideas for FOF6" thread...

MizzouRah
09-27-2004, 10:25 AM
A 2d match engine like FM 2005. I would love to see something like this added in FOF. Watching my first round RB break off a 69 yard TD in 2d would be neat!

Todd

jcwean
09-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Franchise Logic AI: It would be interesting to see if there could be a "franchise logic AI" function. Some franchises are more orientated towards one side of the ball or one aspect of the game than others or building teams based upon schemes

San Francisco & St. Louis would be more offensively (pass) minded.

Pittsburgh & Baltimore would be more defensively minded.

Could be broken down to more detail but you get the idea.

Coaching Pedigree:
a) I'd love to see offensive (or defensive) minded Head Coaches develop great offensive (or defensive) coordinators. My illustration: Mike Shanahan is my Head Coach. Gary Kubiak is his Offensive Coordinator. Every year Gary is under Mike, Kubiak can develop his coaching skills to the point where he can become a Head Coach.
b) Even more, I'd like to see successful coordinators look to become head coach (or make head coach money - a la Marvin Lewis in Washington).
c) I'd also like retired players become coaches.

The_herd
09-27-2004, 03:33 PM
When pulling up the game-by-game stats for a player, it would be nice to see some notation for games missed for injury, coaches decision, ect.

scarface132
09-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Here were some of the suggestions I liked the best and at the bottom some of mine:

the ability to reach an "injury settlement", instead of carrying a guy with an 80-week injury for 2-3 seasons

Make it easier to make global changes in the gameplan - When I want to run more across the board, I'd rather hit a slider or change one number than change 160. The option, of course, should still be there for those who really want to manipulate all those numbers.

A greater chance that a player can fully recover from an injury and return to their former ratings, or something near it. (I hate that it seems every time a guy tears a ligament it seems that his career is pretty much over. In real life, it happens all the time. Most players have those nice zipper scars on their knees...

Increased use of email. Players agents can communicate with you by email. Holdouts, signings. Disgruntled players. Players interested in signingwith your team, etc.

Player Ratings. Want to know how your DE is rated when you want to start him at DT? I think adding tabs at the top of the player ratings section would be a big upgrade. You should have at least a rough idea what to expect from your players when you play them out of position. Tabs with seperate ratings by position would add to the game strategy.

Now here's a couple of my ideas:

The ability to access gameplan in the offseason. Sometimes, you really want to see what you have and don't have and it's easier imo to see where your weaknesses are if you can set your deptch chart, etc...

The ability to see what draft picks you have in future years without having to go to the trade screen.

More detailed html reports. Things such as player progression, player ratings in each category for people who don't own the game or can't access it. Ability to see past draftees without having to save a million pages on your own as you get deeper into the future. I am in wigfl which is about to begin season 2007 (it's fifth season) so I'd like to know what my first rookie's 40 times were etc.

More detailed player attributes. It is nice to have a leagues fasters man and leagues strongest man, but what about everyone else?

gstelmack
09-27-2004, 07:23 PM

If we don't get this in a new FOF or patch soon, it's high on my list of utilities to write (once I figure out the gameplan file format, of course). Basically a wizard that takes some slider tweaks and generates a full gameplan. Run vs. pass, conservative vs. aggressive, outside vs inside vs left vs right running, how aggressive to get when down, how conservative to get when up, etc. Then generate FOF2k4 gameplan numbers in the background from all this.

'cause that's how I want to do my gameplans, too.

amdaily
09-27-2004, 08:03 PM
A greater chance that a player can fully recover from an injury and return to their former ratings, or something near it. (I hate that it seems every time a guy tears a ligament it seems that his career is pretty much over. In real life, it happens all the time. Most players have those nice zipper scars on their knees...

Agreed. This was somewhat fixed in 5.0d, but injuries are still to biased towards players that have suffered a season ending injury previously.

BigJohn&TheLions
10-03-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm glad we're back up. I just had an id'er...

How about injuries that we don't need to have a medical journal (or google) to look up. If a groin is pulled, a groin is pulled!

jetpunk2000
10-03-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm probably echoing a lot of what has been said already, but:

1) Player History

I am not a fan of the way OOTP implements it. The paragraph setup gets a little messy. Maybe have different tabs for milestones, transactions, injuries, etc.

2) Injury History

Building on the player history, I need to know why the stud free agent has only played 7 games in 3 years. Was his coach an idiot or is he injury prone?

3) In-Season Coach Firings/Promotions/Extensions

I want to fire my coach when I feel like it, and if I want the DC to take the reigns, then that should be an option. I also think the coaches should be more fleshed out as has been mentioned. Also, if I'm happy with my coach, I want to be able to extend him before his contract runs out.

Icy
10-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Allow gameplans / deep charts changes during the game: For us that like to watch each game but not to select plays, it would be a great feature if we could change gameplans at least at the end of each quarter or mid game. Sometimes i setup a gameplan and in the middle of the game i see i was wrong and the only way to fix it right now is to call the plays from there as i can't change my gameplan. Also if a player is being outplayed by the opossing one, i would like to be able to replace him.

The_herd
11-06-2004, 11:20 AM

I think the best way of handling this would be to make rating loss caused by injury represented by green bars. Severity of injury, age, and other factors could determine the likelyhood of the player filling the green bars up again (regaining his old form).

Passacaglia
11-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Seems like it would be nice for the commish to be able to manually move teams.

cuervo72
11-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Seems like it would be nice for the commish to be able to manually move teams.

Good idea. I think we can get Subby to fashion an e-mail requesting this.

Dutch
11-06-2004, 06:05 PM
the ability to reach an "injury settlement", instead of carrying a guy with an 80-week injury for 2-3 seasons

To suggest a way to implement this...

We could we have another button that "ungrays" itself called "Injury Negotiation" or something like that on the player card.

Then have a settlement offer that gives him the rest of the years salary + 10% (and if applicable +50% of remaining years salary). You can then either pay it all off with the current years salary cap or spread it out over the remainder of his contract.

I honestly have no idea how injury settlements work within the confines of the NFL salary cap...so I'm just guessing really.

MIJB#19
11-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Right now the biggest problems/suggestions I have are:

* I dislike the roster position limitations. I hate to have to release a promising backup just so I have a backup center for one week while the backup center is out.

* The scouting of players seems to be reversed. Very good scouts fail to see that a player is 10 ratings points better than originally scouted for.

* Some sort of NFL Europe would enhance the ability to have talented (10/40) role players develope their only good skill(s) into backup/starter worthy experience levels. That is asuming that NFL Europe experience indeed helps players better to grow into the NFL than personal training and such does.

I've probably stated most of these somewhere already, but I can't recall having posted in this thread. Given that there's still time to do something about it. I guess for the NFL Europe suggestion it would be too late.

Buccaneer
11-07-2004, 12:07 PM
1. Have the ability/option to do a global setting for any gameplan element. Right now it's make it all the same way (which is stupid) or visit each screen manually. For example, you would have a Master Screen where you can, for example, change run directions on all of the screens but leave the other settings alone.

2. Have some or any kind of feedback during practice, off-week, off-season, etc. Right now, the only way we can evaluate players is actual game-day performance. Insomuch that game-day results is a crapshoot to some extent, we really don't have much of an idea of whether a player is good or not.

Sweed
11-07-2004, 12:54 PM
1. Have the ability/option to do a global setting for any gameplan element. Right now it's make it all the same way (which is stupid) or visit each screen manually. For example, you would have a Master Screen where you can, for example, change run directions on all of the screens but leave the other settings alone.

2. Have some or any kind of feedback during practice, off-week, off-season, etc. Right now, the only way we can evaluate players is actual game-day performance. Insomuch that game-day results is a crapshoot to some extent, we really don't have much of an idea of whether a player is good or not.

With regard to #1 and the playcalling screen. I'd like to have some locks added if possible. I'd like to be able to lock my passing distances and running pcts and then have the computer suggest holes to run through. Or the opposite, lock the running holes and downs and get suggstions on the pass
distance percentages etc. etc.

Also in addition to the current opponent scout screen I'd like one where I could compare my team to the opp in formation with the most relevent ratings showing for each position. This wouldn't have to be for every formation but just the basic pro set vs 4-3 or 3-4.

Icy
11-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Great ideas Buccaneer and Sweed, that would help a lot gameplanning.

Buccaneer
11-07-2004, 09:52 PM
I bet Jim, QuikSand, primelord, et al are laughing at this as they finish up testing on something.

PSUColonel
11-07-2004, 10:35 PM
I'd like to see the ability to put plays into a gameplan "binder" for easy playcalling during a game. It could hold something like 40 offensive and 40 defensive plays.

perez24
11-08-2004, 04:00 AM
I'd like to be able to control substitutions on the O-line and D-line more. Also, some sort of scorecard at the end of the season that grades players. Finally, I would like to see exhibition statistics, even if they go away as soon as the regular season starts.

cthomer5000
11-08-2004, 08:50 AM
I don't know exactly how reasonable this is, but I would like to see some setting (could be as simple as yes/no) allowing you to "take points off the board" in a penalty situation.

Example:

4th and 4 - You kick a field goal, it's good. BUT the defense was offsides.

Do you keep the 3 on the board, or take the first down? From what I've seen the AI always takes the points. While I can't fault the logic, I think some of us with more confidence in our offense might want to take the 1st down in that situation.

Mo.Raider
11-12-2004, 11:52 AM
I know this has been discussed before, but expansion would be weigh heavily in my decision. I still play 2001 because you can build a franchise from the ground up. I also would love being able to use a wall paper or uniform to help me connect to my team. I know the gameplay is much more important than the graphics in a text sim, but a customizable window in the main screen that would allow you to paste a custom uniformed player would help in the immersion of the game.

korme
11-12-2004, 11:58 AM
i'll repeat it in this thread cause it's bigger. not full year length suspensions, how about 4 gamers like Jamal Lewis dealing cocaine (albeit many a year ago) which can pop up anytime throughout the season, not just the beginning

JeeberD
11-12-2004, 12:09 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but expansion would be weigh heavily in my decision. I still play 2001 because you can build a franchise from the ground up. I also would love being able to use a wall paper or uniform to help me connect to my team. I know the gameplay is much more important than the graphics in a text sim, but a customizable window in the main screen that would allow you to paste a custom uniformed player would help in the immersion of the game.

I remember someone posting alternate backgrounds before. I think it was Shorty, perchance? I'll do some research and see if I can find the post...

jbmagic
11-12-2004, 12:09 PM
i would love to see customize league sizes and setting how many games to play for a season.

and have game produce random different fictional players and ratings , everytime you create a new league, so this way you dont see the same fictional players everytime you create a new league.

JeeberD
11-12-2004, 12:18 PM
I remember someone posting alternate backgrounds before. I think it was Shorty, perchance? I'll do some research and see if I can find the post...

That wasn't hard...it was listed in the Reference Thread.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16952

condors
11-12-2004, 12:20 PM
2d graphics

korme
11-12-2004, 12:41 PM
That wasn't hard...it was listed in the Reference Thread.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16952
damn, i never got around to resizing/redoing all those, that's too bad cause i definitely don't remember where i got those pics, and i probably forget what i used.. i'll have to do some bg's over winter break.

Bonegavel
11-12-2004, 01:02 PM
I would love an outline in the player card that shows the players injuries different shades of red to show severity and maybe black to show surgeries. E.g., Willis Macgahee (sp?) would have his knee outlined in black with a light shade of red showing that it was operated on and while he is back to playing it is a past severe injury. Also, something like lines radiating from the head to show concussions suffered etc.

I would love to see some sort of RPG-style coach creation stuff. Create a coach, give him a name and give you points to spend on abilities for coaches.

Also, with coaches, they play almost no role in the game as compared to the NFL in regards to name recognition. You should know the Tunas and Gibbs (in their primes) and also the losers that bounce around. Picking the right coach should create a EXTREMELY noticable change in the team where you can say "this coach is really doing his job" or "I have to get rid of this guy at the end of the year."

I want more feedback than wins/loses to tell me what is going on.

azoomzip
11-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Lots of very good ideas everyone, here is what I would like to see.

A news screen with this type of information:

After being a first round draft pick and starting 10 seasons for the nyg- 12 year veteran OT Jon Smith signs a 3 year $47,000,000 contract with division rival Wash. Nyg hopes to replace smith with 3 year veteran Aaron Anderson. career stat line

After 17 seasons with the MN vikings C Matt Birk retires- the Vikes are left with a big hole at center- or the vikings plan to replace him with 3rd year man Terry Willis. career stat line

Pitt cuts their ties with failed first round rb Johnny Smith. career stat line

also highlight major holdouts.

This would only be listed for guys who were #1 draft picks, have huge contracts or were starters for the team for 4-5 years or more. Basically translates important structural news. Maybe 50 players/ season.

On the sim screen game preview.

This week the Patriots head into Buffalo, defending a 17 game winning streak.

Today a division battle between undefeated teams the 5-0 indianapolis colts battle 5-0 tennessee titans.

Today chicago can make the playoffs with a win and a minnesota loss. Chicago has won 4 straight games.

Terrell owens has a 37 game reception streak.

Brett Favre has 194 game started streak.

Marshall Faulk can break the career rushing yds record with 148 yards

Stuff like that to make the game more rewarding

On player card

Player history tab or something with this type of info

qb Tom Williams- history

denver-2010
drafted in the 3rd round
played 4 seasons 14 games, started 10: record 6-8
300-400-2500yds-14td 15int
2014 left via free agency for sea

sea-2014
signed as a fa 4yrs 38mil
played 8 seasons 40 games, started 38
record 22-16
900-1200-8000yds-50td 44int
-second team all pro in 2018
-superbowl mvp 2018 beat kc 38-14
2022 left via trade with sd

sd-2022
traded for a 1st and 2nd round pick
played 1 season 12 games, started 12
record 11-1
344-450-3500yds-24td 10int
2022 placed on ir for 74 weeks
cut 2024

atl 2024
signed as a fa 1yrs 1.4mil
played 1 season 0 games, started 0
record 0-0
no stats
2025 retired

Also

Add playoff appearances and superbowl appearance won and lost to all players cards. i wanna know if a player has playoff experience and it should matter some in how likely you are to perform well in big playoff games.

gottimd
11-17-2004, 07:42 AM
In Multiplayer Leagues, The ability for each GM to vote for the MVP Awards (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/MVPRACE.html) , HOF Voting, etc

Be able to send out trade offers or trash talk via the email in the game, like in single play at the end of the season, you get trade offers. But in Multiplay, be able to make one to send to other GM's and when they import their League files, it comes up on the email.

Post Game analysis of how the players did and recommendations based on scout and staff ratings.

Playoff Scenario's as season progresses. Something as simple as this (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/NAFL_PLAYOFFRACE.htm)

Obscene pictures of Cheerleaders.

Ability to add more effects and alter HTML reports (backgrounds, drop downs, etc). I know this can be done by manually editing, but to have the game be able to generate better looking HTML reports would be nice.

A sticky thread announcing the game and its additional features

cthomer5000
11-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Yeah, but I just don't want ot have to hack the game to replace the wallpaper. It would be nice if it was an in-game option.

cthomer5000
11-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Playoff Scenario's as season progresses. Something as simple as this (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/NAFL_PLAYOFFRACE.htm)
I would love to see this, but I also think there is potential here for an awesome utility if someone with the programming know-how took a crack at it. I would imagine the utility would just need to analyze a print out of the standings and the box scores (to figure out who has played who).

gottimd
11-17-2004, 08:38 AM
I tried to incorporate Head to head in the report, but the only report I can get is the Team vs Team report which is career based. Without manually keying in after each sim into a large spreadsheet, it is hard to kepp up with. After head to head, I am not sure what the FOF tie break calculation goes to.

WSUCougar
11-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Offensive linemen rated for their ability to play other slots on the line. As it stands now, you can plug these guys in wherever you wish in the depth chart, but it's a total shot in the dark on how well they will do.

In fact, I think every offensive lineman could be rated for all line positions. Perhaps a percentage of their primary position ratings. Something like this:

RT Joe Smith (LT 90%, RG 100%, LG 85%, C 70%)

This would also alleviate the per-position roster requirements (2 centers, etc.) as long as you have X linemen on the roster. It could also apply to other positions (DT/DE, CB/S, maybe FB/TE).

Fonzie
11-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Offensive linemen rated for their ability to play other slots on the line. As it stands now, you can plug these guys in wherever you wish in the depth chart, but it's a total shot in the dark on how well they will do.

In fact, I think every offensive lineman could be rated for all line positions. Perhaps a percentage of their primary position ratings. Something like this:

RT Joe Smith (LT 90%, RG 100%, LG 85%, C 70%)

This would also alleviate the per-position roster requirements (2 centers, etc.) as long as you have X linemen on the roster. It could also apply to other positions (DT/DE, CB/S, maybe FB/TE).

I love this idea.

cthomer5000
11-17-2004, 11:07 AM
I tried to incorporate Head to head in the report, but the only report I can get is the Team vs Team report which is career based. Without manually keying in after each sim into a large spreadsheet, it is hard to kepp up with. After head to head, I am not sure what the FOF tie break calculation goes to.
It appears to follow the NFL tiebreakers correctly. The 2nd criteria depends upon whether the two teams being compared are in-conference or out of conference.

cthomer5000
11-17-2004, 11:09 AM
I would like to see an annual vote on a future Solecismic Bowl location. Perhaps something 5 years away.

Or at the very least it would be nice if the commish could manually control this in a MP league.

gottimd
11-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Would be nice in the HTML output pages to have it link to a player page, like what you see in the actual game itself. Except it creates an HTML version of the player card and links it for viewing on the league page/website where the statistics/records are shown.

Flasch186
11-17-2004, 02:46 PM
FOF2004 Compatibility

Gallifrey
11-17-2004, 05:00 PM
Would be nice in the HTML output pages to have it link to a player page, like what you see in the actual game itself. Except it creates an HTML version of the player card and links it for viewing on the league page/website where the statistics/records are shown.

I thought about this as well. Would be very nice.

Exporting the game logs to HTML would be nice as well.

Ben E Lou
11-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Seemed like a logical time to bump this thread and remind everyone that you can get to it from the top of the reference thread. Since we now know that there are several months of coding left before this, or another game, comes out, the time is now to give good front-end input on ideas for big changes/upgrades.

11-23-2004, 07:25 AM
(This could already be in there, but no way I'm reading the 3 pages again!)

The ability to export a single team to play exhibition games against teams in other leagues/universe. This would allow you to pit your own SP teams against one another, or even better to have a tournament of Champions with the Bowl winners of all the different MP leagues.

cthomer5000
11-26-2004, 01:07 PM
this may also be in here already, but I want the ability to set my defensive personnel packages (nickel, dime, goal line) the same way I can the offensive formations (I-form, 5-wide, etC).

cthomer5000
11-26-2004, 02:22 PM
This is a recap of this entire thread. I could probably chop this up into a few smaller sections or re-assign where I left some things, but I was getting tired of doing this.

General Game Feedback

Ability to import FOF2004 leagues into new version of the game
Ability to more easily incorporate your own graphics (background for example) without having to 'hack' the game
The ability to play completely salary-cap free (finances would really have to matter for this to work)
The ability to import/export teams and run 'exhibition' simulations. This has amazing multiplayer potential, but this would probably also raise a threat of cheating
Increased use of email
The ability to vote on Solecismic Bowl location (this could be a lot of fun in MP leagues)
The ability to vote on franchise relocation (it has to be approved before it's attempted)
Ability to set the date of the trade deadline
Shorten the FA period before the draft? (seems a little unnecessary with the late FA period now in existance)
Instead of just a "serious injury" it would be nice to know a vague description like "37 Layne is down on the play, he's holding his knee and doesn't look good"
bring back the simplicity of training camp in FOF2001?
the ability for players to get hot or cold (think Tecmo Super Bowl)
Removal of players refusing to sign with a team for past injustices when that injustice is being cut.
Removal of formations known for QBs (this should be tied into training camp & familiarity with offense - again like FOF2001)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->Feeback on practices! (player X looks great! player Y looks like crap)
NFL Europe. minicamps, etc. I think the thought here is just some way in the offeason to get X number of players more reps
Improved Interaction With TCY (or TCY2). Make performance come into play more heavily when importing players from TCY.
Right-Click Interface Additions. Allow the user to right-click on a player and have a tab with options like: Release, Place On IR, Activate, Deactivate, Renegotiate.
Make Finances Matter More. Virtually no one pays attention to the year-end score. The focus is (as it should be) on winning the Super Bowl, and therefore financial concerns get lost. The obvious places to let it come into play more would be the ability to offer bonuses, the ability to offer money to coaches/scouts, and the ability to get fired.
Fix fumble revoery location (too many fumbles recovered for 0 gain or loss)
Player 'Cards'

Player history - when they were traded, championship teams they were apart of, injury history
Save playoff stats on the player's card
Statistics

Track penalties by player (perhaps this would make the effects of intelligence more obvious?)
Announcements (email) at the end of a season when new all-time records have been set
Kickoff/field position statistics
Time of posession statistics (season-long)
career playoff leaders
Keep TCY Stats & Awards on player card for duration of FOF career.
Contracts

realistic restricted free agent system (a must with the attention this gets now, IMO)
Having to promise a certain role to a player when signing him (starter, reserve, etc)
Franchise Player hold outs (A potentially very realistic addition that will stop us from abusing the feature)
Improved contract negotiation screen. Roster Bonuses and yearly incentives.
Draft

Mock Drafts (your scout's opinion?)
A historical look at the draft (players drafted from X University, players drafted at Y position)
Ability to see your future draft picks at all times

Gameplanning

A way to make universal changes to single aspects of a gameplan (just change run directions across all gameplan screens, for example)
A way to make sure your playmakers get the ball more often in the passing game. If I don't want to throw to my FB, then he shouldn't be catching 50 passes each season.
Being able to adujust defensive personnel by formation (nickel, dime, goal-line)
The ability to dedicate a TE/FB to pass protection
More control over the kicking game (do not attempt a FG over X yards) tied into gameplanning, so you can change your settings by situation.
Bring back the 'familiarity' ratings from FOF2001.
Make a team choose a base offense, ala TCY (same with defense)
The ability to setup up "outside" vs. "inside" running backs
The Ability to access your gameplan in the offseason (why not?)
League Structure

Expansion
Customizable league sizes
Media/Player Interaction/Chemistry

Suspensions of varying length (not just all season)
As it is you can predict with 100% certainty the effect that adding a player will have on a team. I would like to see the chemistry/player personalities become less predicatable. One thing I wouldn't mind seeing borrowed from the online soccer sim hattrick is the possibility of any player getting off to a bad start with his team. I think FOF could use some sort of measure of team morale and/or confidence. This would also allow for a bigger role for a coaches 'discipline' and 'motivation' ratings. A coach will better discipline would be less likely to have players get into trouble/cause locker-room issues, and a coach with good motivation would do a better job of keeping his team from getting to over-confident or beaten down.
Multiplayer

"A ton more comissioner functions"
Head to head online play
The ability to save an export in progress, then finish it later
Passwords for multiplayer teams
Ability for a commish to manually move a franchise
Roster Management

Make the computer teams more likely to play young players when out of playoff contention
Assign QB's some sort of rating showing their "familiarity with the offense." A QB shouldn't be able to be picked up as a free agent and have complete profeciency in the offense in a single week (curse you Victor Whyte!)
Perhaps a simple 'active all' button on the roster screen
Trade counter-offers from the AI
Give players experience ratings in a defensive system. A 3-4 ILB for instance would have a very low '4-3' experience rating, and would need time to play at full-potential as MLB
A stronger relationship between a QB's skills and his playing style
The ability to reach an injury settlement
Improved Roster Building AI. Someone mentioned that making the game go too slowly is a concern here. Without doing any testing, my guess is that one stage of free agency in OOTP6, for example, may take 5-10 times longer than one stage in FOF2K4, and it doesn't feel like OOTP takes a long time at all. There's definitely room to let the game take more time in processing each stage of free agency.
Staff

Coaching 'personalities' (example "pass crazy" or maybe a base offense/defense like "Pro-Set" or "3-4"
Feedback from the staff (and owner) during the season (Perhaps even something like a "Nice Win!" email from an owner would add immersion)
Scout history (coaches have it, scouts do not)
Try to establish some more variance between coordinator and head coach pay
Ability to rename coaches
Make coordinators a little more one-sided. There are too many who have skills all over the place and bounce all over the league, doing every job. Perhaps even make them entirely one-sided and containing NO ratings for the opposite side of the ball.
Some sort of ability to 'promote' assitant coaches
The ability to pursue coordinators under contract for your head coaching job.
Coordinators that make a difference in the team's on-field performance, rather than just player development.
motivation and discipline as solely the Head Coach's effect
The individuals who come "out of nowhere" and become coach candidates are presumably reflecting college coaches who have made the leap to the pros. If so, why not give us something to judge them on -- some collegiate record of some sort? Maybe even have successful coaches jump from TCY to FOF?
Make the development of a young coaching staff candidate more outwardly dynamic, based on experience. A young individual who gets a job as a coordinator ought to develop those skills over time -- and that is the sort of individual who ought to be a most attractive head coach candidate.
I'd like to see a pretty fair number of the "legends of the game" and HOF-worthy players at least appear in the coaching pool, even if they aren't all going to be standout coaches. (Maybe the INT rating can have a connection here?) I'd also like to see a connection between their playing position and their strengths -- a retired DB who becomes a coach ought to have better understanding of, say, defensive schemes and perhaps the offensive passing game, plus he ought to have a good rating with DBs to start with. Perhaps in time he'd develop his own batch of strengths, but initially, I'd like to feel that it's "the same guy" to some degree
Another offbeat idea - maybe we need some kind of "fog of war" with staffers, rather than seeing their full complement of abilities? When hiring an offensive coordinator, maybe I should just see the style he prefers, the formations he prefers, and some information on his track record. Perhaps I'd get more information (like the positional ratings) only if we "interview" him? (This has the ability to get out of control, but it could be a little like TCY recruiting, I guess)

wudu
11-26-2004, 02:34 PM
My wish list:

Player pictures. This is one of the reasons I bought Eastside hockey. I love having big, colorful action photos of the player I'm thinking of breaking the bank on. It makes it all the more personal when you have to deal with them. Mugs are ok, but after a while all these blank stares look alike. This alone would make me buy another FOF game, even though I own all of them. I calculated it once, and found that Jim has at least $250 of my past income. I hope he realizes this and buys himself a shiny new hat with my name on it.

More media. Again, another strength of Eastside. Media pudnits criticizing your decisions, making fans love your role players (Ricky Proehl-like), eroding the confidence of your young Qb, etc.

Player histories. Broken records, broken thigh bones, broken banks, etc.

Team histories. I'd like to be able to modify league and team histories before I start a league, instead of having everyone start 0-0 alltime, how about being able to put in that youre building on a legacy of such and such, and have youre players try to break old alltime records that have stood for 50 years, instead of having to play through 50 years making them yourself. I'd also love it if I could alter the pre-histories of each player, but I understand what an undertaking that would be for just Jim. Probably be a strain on the file size, too.

Team personel. More coaches. More scouts. More assistants. Each with their own card, history, etc. And I love the Eastside feature of players immediately becoming staff after they retire. I'd love to bring in some of my more savvy guys (play diagnosis, int, experience) as position coaches after they retire. Something about having Rod Woodson come back to be my DB coach makes me salivate.

Player interpersonal relationships. Maybe not all players, but key ones. We all saw TO and Garcia hate eachother, then their production declined, and TO ran home to Philly. So certainly two talented players can be hampered by personal stuff, and I'm sure the door swings both ways. Two decent players can be extremely effective together, but once seperated, return to mediocrity.

More roles. Designated pass rusher, 3rd down hb, long distance FG kicker, long distance hail mary QB, etc.

This is probably just a dream, but integration between TCY and FOF would make me sit here all day, all night, refusing food, water, and air, to play football.

Hotseat MP. If anything, so you can control more than one team at once. Might be more useful if there was an integration of more than one league.

Game recaps. Being able to see thebig performers in a game without wading through a game log would be nice, and pretty to look at.

Hall of Fame voting, for GMs. Hell, any kind of awards voting for GMs would be grand, I really enjoyed that aspect in TCY.

Things I love and hope are kept:
Visually pleasing player ratings. I love the bars. Numbers are alright, but I love being able to glance and see that one guy is better than another.

Sim speed. Nothing to do with computer speed, but just the fact that simming one year won't take a year and a day, like it does in Eastside.

Awards. I love the awards, the legend of the game, the fastest man, etc. Add more. Add probowls. Add Team MVPs. Add citizenship awards. Fan favorites. Best hair. I don't care. I love it.

Karim
11-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Well done, cthomer5000.

Ben E Lou
12-10-2004, 04:24 AM
When a guy like this is available in the draft pool...

http://www.younglifenorthlake.com/fofc/rogers.jpg

...I want to see him go #1 in the draft. If the team with the #1 overall pick doesn't need a QB, someone should be trading up to get him #1. Sometimes guys like this don't even go in the top 5 if none of the Top 5 teams need a QB.

cthomer5000
12-10-2004, 07:42 AM
is there supposed to be an image file there?

12-10-2004, 07:45 AM
is there supposed to be an image file there?
Yes there is. It's a screenshot of a top notch QB.

Ben E Lou
12-10-2004, 07:46 AM
is there supposed to be an image file there?Yeah....can you not see it?

gottimd
12-10-2004, 08:06 AM
The screenshot of Brock "Buck" Rodgers?

MizzouRah
12-10-2004, 08:10 AM

All they will ever say about "Buck" is how he could never throw the deep ball.

Todd

gottimd
12-10-2004, 08:11 AM
All they will ever say about "Buck" is how he could never throw the deep ball.

Todd

and how he just can't quite read the D as well as others.

12-10-2004, 08:12 AM
He, I had exactly the same thought... :)

KWhit
12-10-2004, 08:13 AM
I agree. I was palying last night and the top rated player in the draft was a QB whose potential rating was 89. He was the top QB in all the combine rankings.

And he was drafted #12. 12!!

Ben E Lou
12-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Buck was drafted by Cleveland. I'll keep y'all updated on him in my dynasty thread.

Ben E Lou
12-10-2004, 08:16 AM
Yeah....Rodgers went #13 overall.

Darkiller
12-10-2004, 08:16 AM
- Player History: SB rings, major injuries sustained
- NFL Europe (should I call it NFL Germany already ?) : the possibility to send 6 players from your roster to play in the off-season so that they can improve their skills a little faster...or could come back to you with an injury that you'd likely have to carry on the roster (reversal of fortune, but that's exciting).
- Compatibility of FOF2004 leagues (especially MP) to newer version of FOF. I think this is a must now.
- Have a say in the MVP voting.
- Announce Conference Pro Bowl squads (this is different that All-League selections) : 6 QBs nominated for the Pro Bowl versus only 2 for All-League honors.
- Media interaction
- More colourful Draft (maybe picking some ideas from Total Pro Football / have Draft gurus comment on each picks...)
- Notification emails after each week when a league, team or individual record has been broken "Steve Patterson, RB, Chicago Bears has set the new single game rushing record with 248 yards"

gottimd
12-10-2004, 08:45 AM
It would also be nice to have customizable HTML output, rather than the standard Solecismic one (League Logo, Helmets, pick and choose reports). Also, it will probably take up alot of space, but have each player card as an HTML page so that sites can link player listed to their actual stats/player card.

jbmagic
12-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Would love to see Preseason stats totaled and tracked...

gottimd
12-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Would love to see Preseason stats totaled and tracked...

I would think that they aren't because alot of people play their rookies and test out schemes to find their holes in their roster. I just look at the box scores and logs.

jbmagic
12-10-2004, 11:29 AM
I would think that they aren't because alot of people play their rookies and test out schemes to find their holes in their roster. I just look at the box scores and logs.

true...but still good after preseason is all over, to look at the total stats for all your players..it can help you decide too who to start in the regular season...

much easier than looking at each box score and logs seperate

cthomer5000
12-10-2004, 12:28 PM
There was no image file when I first read the thread, I swear. No red X, no nothing, as if it just hadn't been linked.

Abe Sargent
12-10-2004, 01:30 PM
I want the ability to relocate to more areas outside the US like Canada, Mexico, and maybe a few places in the Carribean. That'd be nifty.

-Anxiety

Ben E Lou
12-10-2004, 01:34 PM
I want the ability to relocate to more areas outside the US like Canada, Mexico, and maybe a few places in the Carribean. That'd be nifty.

-AnxietyPinko.

rafini
12-10-2004, 02:54 PM
1. The ability to edit historic stuff (career leaders, past champions) so I don't have to start in 1970 and sim all the way up just to have real stat leaders.
2. The ability to sim seasons without specifically controlling a team (would be able to let the computer control all the teams for 20-30 years before I took over a team).
3. A period after the Super Bowl and before the start of the next season to sign my free agents. I hate having to sign them all during the season.

DaddyTorgo
12-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Anxiety has a good point. One of the things I actually enjoy doing is relocating teams to Canada/Mexico. Especially Canada. It gives me that feeling of really "taking on the CFL" and seeing how many fans I can draw to my games and stuff. Plus, playing in the freezing cold is always fun (same reason I move teams to Anchorage in FOF sometimes). That being said, maybe greater weather effects?? I'm not sure how much they affect the game right now...

Ben E Lou
12-12-2004, 06:08 AM
A minor interface annoyance worth mentioning: as it stands now, when ticket prices are changed, the player must exit out of the ticket price screen then re-open it to get an accurate representation of the price comparison. It would be nice if the price comparisons could be updated immediately.

DolphinFan1
12-12-2004, 05:38 PM
A minor interface annoyance worth mentioning: as it stands now, when ticket prices are changed, the player must exit out of the ticket price screen then re-open it to get an accurate representation of the price comparison. It would be nice if the price comparisons could be updated immediately.

I noticed this too. Good suggestion.

MizzouRah
12-18-2004, 09:20 PM
I know I can see the total yards given up for defense/offense - passing and rushing, but it would be nice if on the simulation screen, when you click preview, there were two more lines that said Offensive ranking: # - Defensive ranking: # for both teams.

There's nowhere in the game to get the total ranking for offense and defense.

Todd

jbmagic
12-19-2004, 03:08 AM
I know I can see the total yards given up for defense/offense - passing and rushing, but it would be nice if on the simulation screen, when you click preview, there were two more lines that said Offensive ranking: # - Defensive ranking: # for both teams.

There's nowhere in the game to get the total ranking for offense and defense.

Todd

i agree

also would love see it show how your team rank in its career for defense and offense ranks like run defense, pass defense, pass offense, run offense, pts scr, pts allowed, etc

and be able to save it per year too, so you can compare how you did per year..

Ben E Lou
12-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Small interface suggestion:

When a player is on IR, how about a different color coding than red on the roster screen. After each game, I go to the Roster-->Injury Report screen to check for new "Out" injuries to see if I need to do anything, and it is easy to just look for guys who are coded red. However, IR guys currently are alos red, making this process a little more tedious.

MizzouRah
12-19-2004, 08:38 AM
i agree

also would love see it show how your team rank in its career for defense and offense ranks like run defense, pass defense, pass offense, run offense, pts scr, pts allowed, etc

and be able to save it per year too, so you can compare how you did per year..

I like that last part jbmagic. Clicking on a report that showed your team's offensive and defensive rankings per year would be nice!

Offense: 12th
328.3 ypg
Defense: 5th
218.5 ypg

Todd

Honolulu Blue
01-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Obviously, there's a powerful, versatile, and quick football sim engine underneath FOF. Let's put it to work with an "Ask Jim" button. It could work one of several ways:

1) Suppose you're playing your most hated rival in a game you must win, but aren't sure if your new & improved game plan is the best one for this game. The "Ask Jim" button would sim the game 100 times under your old game plan, and 100 times under the new one. You can compare the results and pick the one that seems most likely to work.

2) Classic situation: 2 minutes to go, down by 7. Your team just scored, so you're kicking off. Do you kick it deep? Squib it? Onsides? "Ask Jim" would sim 100 games from that point with each of those options.

3) For a really advanced application, how about that agonizing draft day decision between two players of relatively equal quality. "Ask Jim" would sim out 100 seasons for each of them and give you the results. This, of course, assumes that the computer can put together a decent roster and gameplan from what you've given it.

Not sure which QB to start? Ask Jim! 4th and 4 on the opposing 35? Ask Jim! Goofy things happen after the first season? Don't ask Jim!

rafael
01-06-2005, 11:31 AM
1) How about a 16 team ficticious league for a Palm Pilot.

2) Some guys want realism? But what if you play FOF to to get away from reality.

JediKooter
01-06-2005, 04:55 PM
This is my first post, so, I hope its not too hard to read and I don't sound too repetitive.....PS some of these suggestions could very well fit for both multiplayer and single player....

Multiplayer: Expansion, customized league size, more depth to player and coach histories, voting for MVP/defensive & offensive ROTY/Coach of the Year/League Championship game location and for team moves, more micromanagement of team finances.

Single Player: Expansion, customized league size, more depth to player and coach histories, more micromanagement of team finances, ability to promote a defensive/offensive coordinator to head coach, firing of coach/scout/coordinators, hiring coaches/coordinators/scouts from TCY teams, if a coordinator takes over a team during the season be able to retain them as the coordinator if you hire a new coach.

Cash bonuses for teams/players who win conference championships/league championship, toggle on or off salary cap (at time of league setup only), more micromanagement during contract negotiations with players (insentive bonuses), suspensions can happen at any time of the year (not always for the whole season though), during the hiring of staff if another team has outbid you for one of your staff members, be able to out bid or 'convince' that person to stay with your team, coordinators should not be making more money than the head coach.

Mini camps in addition to the regular training camp (you chose who you want to show up to the mini camps), more emails throughout the season, a noticable impact on your teams attendance if a player who is idolized is traded during the season or an email saying that the fans arent happy and might not go to games as often, outcome of the 'Pro Bowl'.

That's all that I can think of for now. I really enjoy the game as it is now, but, a few improvements is always a good thing. Tops to me though is expansion, customizable league sizes, hiring coaches from TCY teams and more financial control.

mtaystl03
01-10-2005, 01:20 PM
I would like to see the addition of play-action in the calling plays. If your team is running the ball well you could click a radio button to add "play-action" to a normal pass play to hope to get the safetys to commit. This could add a little extra to the passing game.

There could be a little explaination after the play as to whether or not the defense was affected by the play-action at all or not.

Just another idea to add here.

dunkem
01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Here are some ideas:

1) Somehow integrate TCY and FOF6 so that the seasons run simulataneously. You can actually see how the college athletes are performing throughout the season. You can have the option to either play the NFL side and sim the college side or vice versa. IF you're playing the TCY side, you'd be able to see how your graduates do in the NFL and may even get a prestige boost from getting players drafted into the NFL.

In addition, your pool of coaches can move between the college and pro ranks like real life. Spurrier to NFL and back, making a bid for Saban at LSU only to be turned down due to his "loyalty" rating.

2) As always, I'd like to see more pressure from the media, fans, and the owner on the head coach's job security ala FM/CM.

Crapshoot
01-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Didnt SD insinuate that this wasnt happening anytime in the near future (1 yr or so)?

temley06
01-10-2005, 04:26 PM
The ability to work on certain formations or plays during the week leading up to the game.

gottimd
01-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I developed some reports for the NAFL, but would like to see them generated through the HTML output for MP leagues. Mainly they are what has already been discussed throughout this thread:

Estimated Draft Order for Next Year (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/draftorder.htm) Based on current records (No Tie Breaks Applied, Traded Draft Positions do apply)

Playoff Scenarios (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/NAFL_PLAYOFFRACE.htm) Magic Numbers, Current Playoff Tree, etc

Head to Heads (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/h2h.htm) Current Seasons Head to Head, and Career Head to Head

League Leaders (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/leaders.htm) Top 5 in most statistical categories

SegRat
01-10-2005, 07:40 PM
This may be on here somewhere, but I am lazy.

ROOKIE RECORDS

Dutch
01-10-2005, 07:55 PM
I developed some reports for the NAFL, but would like to see them generated through the HTML output for MP leagues. Mainly they are what has already been discussed throughout this thread:

Estimated Draft Order for Next Year (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/draftorder.htm) Based on current records (No Tie Breaks Applied, Traded Draft Positions do apply)

Playoff Scenarios (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/NAFL_PLAYOFFRACE.htm) Magic Numbers, Current Playoff Tree, etc

Head to Heads (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/h2h.htm) Current Seasons Head to Head, and Career Head to Head

League Leaders (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/leaders.htm) Top 5 in most statistical categories

*drool!* Those are nice. I particularly like the Top 5 page. That is a minor feedback that would greatly enhance the week-to-week immersion in single player and multiplayer. IMHO. Nice job!

gottimd
01-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks, I built them on excel and made some macros to automate them based off of the already generated system output.

I think another idea would be to able to search the players on "Current Rosters" by contract end year as well. The reason this may help, at least in my case, is that my team has been eliminated from the playoffs already and I would like to be able to see who might be a Free Agent to make a bid on before the Free Agency begins.

stevew
01-10-2005, 09:19 PM
I would like to see the ability to have all the players ratings at each position he is eligible to play at. There could be perhaps a tab situation above the ratings, so that it would be easy to change between positions. You might know that the guy would be a 80 pass blocker as a Rt, but only a 60 pass blocker overall as a LT, and perhaps a 45 pass blocker overall at left guard. It would also be great to list someone positionally as a "Kick Returner", or as a "gunner," a Mel Gray type player. For instance Dante Hall could be a KR, at 99 overall ranking, but if he was listed primarily as a WR he may only be 40 overall. Id like for the player cards to have a bit more depth to them, perhaps some photos, and more transactional history. Also i liked someone's idea of having an outline of the players body and showing all the injuries they have had over time.

gottimd
01-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Id like for the player cards to have a bit more depth to them, perhaps some photos, and more transactional history. Also i liked someone's idea of having an outline of the players body and showing all the injuries they have had over time.

I love this idea. Do you mean have on the "View Statistics tab" on the bottom, put things like:
"Claimed from UFA by"
"Resigned as RFA by"
"Traded for ...."

stevew
01-10-2005, 09:28 PM
I love this idea. Do you mean have on the "View Statistics tab" on the bottom, put things like:
"Claimed from UFA by"
"Resigned as RFA by"
"Traded for ...."

Yeah, everytime a player changes teams or becomes a free agent, list it. I do realize that perhaps this could cause severe resources issues, perhaps could be a feature you could turn on and off.

CHEMICAL SOLDIER
01-10-2005, 10:04 PM
I hope that it's the ultimate open ended sim. Being able to create my own world and era style of play etc.

gottimd
01-12-2005, 03:06 PM
I created some more reports for the NAFL from the HTML output, but it would be nice to have these included within the "Create HTML" button.

http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/capstatus.htm
-This shows the Cap Status for each team

http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/playersalary.htm
-Player Cap Cost Statistics

jbmagic
01-12-2005, 03:11 PM
i would love to see all the offensive and defensive stats be saved per season so you can go back and look at them to see were you rank in the league for that season.

laffercurve
01-21-2005, 03:25 PM
A few more wishes:

1. Printable and/or exportable Draft Preview lists.
2. Echo: More player transaction history.
3. Echo: More player injury history (perhaps in lieu of Endurance rating).
4. A coach file like the draft file where the top college coaches get interest from the pros. Also, the ability to hire away a coordinator currently under contract (with a lot of money).
5. Echo: Expansion
6. A Scout Recommends button when you are on the draft clock to see who the staff likes.
7. In the Recommend Player search, a position selection that is "Any Non-Kicker".
8. Like another suggestion: A "peek" into the college ranks during a pro season that would let a GM know if the next draft class was strong/weak in one position or another. I also am a big fan of the idea to merge TCY and FOF but that seems a long shot.
9. Removing the prohibition on cutting injured players. Computer opponents can do it. Perhaps an injury settlement like the NFL to keep from dumping hurt guys?
10. Modifying the AI to make all draft pick (no player) trades easier.

Enough.

Grid Iron
01-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I would like to see the addition of play-action in the calling plays. If your team is running the ball well you could click a radio button to add "play-action" to a normal pass play to hope to get the safetys to commit. This could add a little extra to the passing game.

There could be a little explaination after the play as to whether or not the defense was affected by the play-action at all or not.

Just another idea to add here.

This is a great idea.

jbmagic
01-21-2005, 03:49 PM
i would love to see it more challenging when trading draft picks to CPU teams..

it seems so easy to trade down your pick to another cpu team, then draft down again, and again, etc

because you can look at there team and see what position they need help at. so you can see what position there going to pick in the draft...

for example i have #1 pick and i know #2 team is not going to draft my position i trade my draft pick to them...

than i look at #3 team and see what position they going to draft next, if not my position i going to draft, i just the trade my draft pick to them

and you can keep going like this.

Ben E Lou
01-21-2005, 03:51 PM
i would love to see it more challenging when trading draft picks to CPU teams..

it seems so easy to trade down your pick to another cpu team, then draft down again, and again, etc

because you can look at there team and see what position they need help at. so you can see what position there going to pick in the draft...

for example i have #1 pick and i know #2 team is not going to draft my position i trade my draft pick to them...

than i look at #3 team and see what position they going to draft next, if not my position i going to draft, i just the trade my draft pick to them

and you can keep going like this.This is what is known as an "exploit." No AI will be perfect. I'd suggest self-control.

jbmagic
01-21-2005, 03:54 PM
This is what is known as an "exploit." No AI will be perfect. I'd suggest self-control.

yep that what i doing now. any good house rule on that?

look at Total Pro Basketball 2005...i think it one of the best Trade Ai in sims game....very hard to take advanatage of the AI on that game when it comes to trades.

gottimd
01-25-2005, 12:01 PM
An All Rookie League Leaders (http://www.modernbaseball.org/FOF/webpages/rookies.htm) HTML Page. I created one through excel, but one generated automatically through the "Create HMTL" button would be nice.

MizzouRah
01-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I want more imported TCY stuff, such as AWARDS, total college stats (not just the final year), etc..

I really want the TCY --> FOF transition to evolve.

Todd

albionmoonlight
01-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Play action passing would also reward teams with offensive balance, making it a little harder to excel by throwing the ball 70%+ of the time.

Francis_Cole
01-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Probably has been mentioned above but:

Proper roster and cap rules.
An option not to have deal with items such as ticket-prices etc items.

Perhaps even an option just to be GM or Coach?
Maybe media stuff?

Grid Iron
01-28-2005, 12:35 PM
<h3>The Real NFL Record Book</h3>Alternatively (if precluded by licensing issues), the ability to import a record via a .csv file at the start of a career.

It would be nice to see how my players stack up against the real NFL records.

Might be too hard to implement, though.

02-03-2005, 12:21 PM
The ability to sort and/or filter individual player stats by position...

Rhone Ranger
02-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Before Jim adds any new features, I'd like to see more complete documentation explaining the features that are already in the game.

The current docs tell you what various game buttons and screens do, but only in a cursory way, enough to get you playing the game but not enough to get you understanding it. They don't go into much depth, as evidenced by the threads on this forum where we're all trying to figure out what the game is actually doing. :) FOF leaves me with the feeling that there's a whole lot of cool stuff going on under the hood that I'm missing because the instructions are so brief.

mhass
02-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Here's one that HAS to be changed and won't take much code at all:

Change the name of the Balance Sheet to Income Statement since that's what it is.

wudu
02-06-2005, 11:33 PM
In honor of Post NFL-Season boredom, which officially starts now, I've constructed (with all due respect to Jim and whomever his design team consists of) a new player screen.

http://img203.exs.cx/img203/1707/fof2005screen1dz.jpg

I filled it with all the neat stuff I've experienced in other Sports Management games, and would love to see in Fof someday. Hope you like it.

02-07-2005, 04:04 AM
In honor of Post NFL-Season boredom, which officially starts now, I've constructed (with all due respect to Jim and whomever his design team consists of) a new player screen.

I filled it with all the neat stuff I've experienced in other Sports Management games, and would love to see in Fof someday. Hope you like it.
You know Wudu, I'm usually not a big fan of player pictures in game, but I must admit your player scree actually looks damn good! Nice work!

KWhit
02-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Yeah, that's great. I likey.

gottimd
02-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Thats great. But what happens if you are running a fictional league, or have fictional teams, etc?

Ben E Lou
02-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Expanded Team History, with year-by-year leaders in each category, as such....

<table width="1136"> <col span="2" style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <col style="width: 152pt;" width="202"> <col style="width: 123pt;" width="164"> <col style="width: 112pt;" width="149"> <col span="3" style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <col style="width: 68pt;" width="91"> <tbody><tr style="height: 22.5pt;" height="30"> <td colspan="3" class="xl28" style="height: 22.5pt;" align="center" height="30" width="265"> ATLANTA

</td> <td class="xl30" align="center" width="175"> </td> <td class="xl30" align="center" width="153"> </td> <td class="xl30" align="center" width="89"> </td> <td class="xl30" align="center" width="87"> </td> <td class="xl30" align="center" width="156"> </td> <td class="xl31" align="center" width="182"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl32" style="height: 12.75pt;" align="center" height="17" width="1"> </td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="65"> </td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="236"> </td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="175"> </td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="153"> </td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="89"> </td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="87"> </td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="156"> </td> <td class="xl33" align="center" width="182"> </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 18.75pt;" height="25"> <td class="xl34" style="height: 18.75pt;" align="center" height="25" width="1">YR</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="65">RECORD</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="236">PASSING</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="175">RUSHING</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="153">RECEIVING</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="89">TACKLES</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="87">SACKS</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="156">INTS</td> <td class="xl35" align="center" width="182">FINISH</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 18.75pt;" height="25"> <td class="xl36" style="height: 18.75pt;" x:num="" u1:num="" align="center" height="25" width="1">2005</td> <td class="xl40" align="center" width="65">1-15</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="236">M. Hagood 155/335, 1837yds, 4TDs, 19INTs</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="175">F. Lemke 158 att, 539yds, 3 TD's</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="153">V. Givens 43 for 671, 0 TD's</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="89">M. Lynn 147</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="87">R. Maxwell 3.5</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="156">W. Sanders 5</td> <td class="xl37" align="center" width="182">last in division</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl36" style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" u1:num="" align="center" height="17" width="1">2006</td> <td class="xl40" align="center" width="65">2-14</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="236">A. Gaylor 252/521, 2623 yds, 10TDs, 23INTs</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="175">F. Lemke 185 att,653 yds, 2 TD's</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="153">H. Boone 64 for 780, 4 TD's</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="89">M. Lynn 142</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="87">N. Hutton 5.5</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="156">Several 2</td> <td class="xl37" align="center" width="182">last in division</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 18.75pt;" height="25"> <td class="xl36" style="height: 18.75pt;" x:num="" align="center" height="25" width="1">2007</td> <td class="xl40" align="center" width="65">3-13</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="236">A. Gaylor 267/576, 2903 yds, 10TDs,17INTS</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="175">F. Lemke 228 att,740yds, 2 TD's</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="153">H. Boone 76 for 840, 4 TD's</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="89">M. Lynn 87</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="87">I. Copeland 3.0</td> <td class="xl26" align="center" width="156">D. Thornton 8</td> <td class="xl37" align="center" width="182">last in division</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl32" style="height: 12.75pt;" align="center" height="17" width="1">
</td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="65">
</td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="236">
</td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="175">
</td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="153">
</td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="89">
</td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="87">
</td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="156">
</td> <td class="xl33" align="center" width="182">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 22.5pt;" height="30"> <td colspan="3" class="xl38" style="height: 22.5pt;" align="center" height="30" width="265">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl32" style="height: 12.75pt;" align="center" height="17" width="1">
</td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="65">
</td> <td class="xl24" align="center" width="236">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl34" style="height: 12.75pt;" align="center" height="17" width="1">
</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="65">
</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="236">
</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="175">
</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="153">
</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="89">
</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="87">
</td> <td class="xl25" align="center" width="156">
</td> <td class="xl35" align="center" width="182">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 18.75pt;" height="25"> <td class="xl36" style="height: 18.75pt;" x:num="" u1:num="" align="center" height="25" width="1">
</td> <td class="xl41" align="center" width="65">
</td> <td class="xl42" align="center" width="236">
</td> <td class="xl42" align="center" width="175">
</td> <td class="xl42" align="center" width="153">
</td> <td class="xl42" align="center" width="89">
</td> <td class="xl42" align="center" width="87">
</td> <td class="xl42" align="center" width="156">
</td> <td class="xl43" align="center" width="182">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 18.75pt;" height="25"> <td class="xl36" style="height: 18.75pt;" x:num="" u1:num="" align="center" height="25" width="1">
</td> <td class="xl41" align="center" width="65">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 19.5pt;" height="26"> <td class="xl39" style="height: 19.5pt;" x:num="" u1:num="" align="center" height="26" width="1">
</td> <td class="xl44" align="center" width="65">
</td> <td class="xl45" align="center" width="236">
</td> <td class="xl45" align="center" width="175">
</td> <td class="xl45" align="center" width="153">
</td> <td class="xl45" align="center" width="89">
</td> <td class="xl45" align="center" width="87">
</td> <td class="xl45" align="center" width="156">
</td> <td class="xl46" align="center" width="182">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 18.75pt;" height="25"> <td class="xl36" style="height: 18.75pt;" x:num="" align="center" height="25" width="1">
</td> <td class="xl47" align="center" width="65">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

Franklinnoble
02-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I'd love to be able to have players play both ways... basically, more flexibility with player assignments.

For example, I want to be able to have Troy Brown play DB or Mike Vrable play TE/FB. Whatever.

I want to be able to draft an athletic QB and have him play as a backup QB and fourth WR.

mhass
02-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Requiring a team to pay coaching salaries if they terminate the contract before it expires - a coach is replaced. In other words, if I hire a Coach John before Coach Bill's contract is up, I pay TWO coaches until Bill's contract is up. That how it works IRL right?

jcwean
02-11-2005, 12:36 PM
I dig Franklinnobles' idea.

I'd love to even maybe see an email around training camp saying. "CB Bailey has expressed desire to play WR. Do you wish to give it a go? Making him a CB/WR may change his CB ratings (will change/won't change).

Of course endurance will play a big roll here. Can't have someone playing both ways every down.

Ben E Lou
02-23-2005, 09:27 AM
I can't recall whether or not I posted this, but a higher fluctuation in attendance is important, especially for "cinderella" type seasons. I had a team that had been 3-13, 5-11, 4-12 over the last three seasons. We finished 12-4 in the most recent season, but even late in the season only drew 45,300 max, despite having THE lowest ticket prices in the league. Bandwagon fans would *surely* have filled the stadium by the end of the year, and certainly for the playoffs.

Tempest56
02-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Just gonna echo a lot of the previous points, really.

-League size customization and expansion. (This also means there'd have to be flexible playoff setups and such, obviously.) This is a must.

-Non-US cities - at least allow a few major locales in North America. (Hey, I'm Canadian, so sue me if I like the idea of the NFL in Toronto.)

-More in-depth player and coach details. They need to be more than just a statistic line. This applies especally to critical things, such as injury history. And it drives me nuts when I get to hiring coaches and while I can see their past records, it won't tell me who they worked for unless their contract just expired.

-Injury long-term damage needs to be toned down still. I never hire a head coach with less than a Very Good against injuries, and yet every season I have at least one starter go down with an ACL/MCL injury, and that's the end of that guy's career. It really discourages me from shelling out for the big quality players, when it's almost garunteed that, by the time their contract expires, I'll be dealing with a paperweight instead of a star player.

-Salary balance. When two players have the same overall stats, experience level and such, one should not be asking for 3-5 million a year more because he's a tackle and the other one is a guard. When I can sign three good LBs for the same cost as a single similarly rated DE, there's something wonky.

-Much better explinations of player attitudes! Why are they disgruntled? Why won't they resign with the team? I think this is summed up best with one of my veteran holdouts - an RB held out for a better contract and then stated he refused to renegotiate his contract with the team due to 'past injustices'. Then stopped his holdout and reported to camp - without even being disgruntled - a week later. WTF.

-More in-depth playbook descisions would be nice. I cringe when I read the box score and see my kicker trying multiple 50+ yard field goals a game, or find that the star WR I shelled out for this year is being targeted twice a game, while the blocking-oriented TE is getting ten attempts.

-AI counter-negotiations in trades would be nice, too. As it stands, attempting to make a trade is guesswork and constant edging forward with very slightly better offers, with the AI giving barely helpful feedback. If the team is rated as having a 100 interest in the player, they should at least care enough to give me a counter-offer. The ability to glance at the league and see who's 'on the block' and being shopped would be very nice.

-The AI's roster management is pathetic, too. In my SP games, I'm constantly seeing the AI sign a half-dozen players to insane contracts, another half-dozen decent players, and filling out the rest of the roster (including starting positions!) with undrafted rookies on 1 year minimum contracts. There should not be a guy rated as 2/14 *starting* on a team that's not the Arizona Cardinals.

mhass
02-23-2005, 09:07 PM
It would be nice to have a button in the trade screen that worked like Recommend Player to find a guy at a position that is near the ratings of the guy I'm trading. In other words, I'm looking to trade a WR and pick up a guard. The button would go find all the guards that had ratings/value close to my WR. It would be even better if Shop Player put together proposals in this vein.

VarlosZ
02-25-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm not going to read the whole thread, so it's likely that these have come up already:

1) The ability to "lock" certain aspects of the gameplan, while letting the coach reset the rest of the gameplan himself. For example, I like to personally set things like blitz frequency and use of injured players, but I'd just assume let the AI micro-manage double-team percentages and run direction as opponents change and players fall in and out of my lineup due to injury. The all-or-nothing approach is a pain.

2) Better AI player valuation, especially regarding free agents. As it is, the AI teams will fall all over themselves to sign the 31 year old 62/62 OLB to a cap-killing long-term contract . . . but they'll ignore the 26 year old 40/65 OLB who only wants to be paid backup money (why he wasn't renegotiated in the first place is whole other topic).

3) The AI is terrible at drafting and trading for QBs. Specifically, they'll let the 14/55 QB rookie go undrafted, but once he's been on your team for a year, they'll give you a 1st or 2nd round pick for him if they badly need a starting QB.

4) The AI is much too willing to trade down in the 1st round of the draft for peanuts, particularly in the mid-late 1st round.

Kozure
03-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Like Varlos, i don't really want to read every comment to see if my idea is a repost.

I want to see scouting have more impact in the game. I think that scouts shouldn't be as accurate as they are, even at rating players at positions they suck at rating.

I think that scouting should be a little bit more tricky. Maybe a running back appears good to scouts, but in fact, it's the back's offensive line that makes his ratings look good. When the back is traded to a team with a bad offensive line, the back's abilities go down.

I think there are times when running backs have big runs and it has nothing to do with a key run block. A way of knowing if a running back is good or not is to see how many big runs that back has without a lineman getting a key run block. It would show that the back has talent to make up for a bad offensive line.

Look at the Broncos in the NFL, they employ a zone blocking system that makes running backs look great. Clinton Portis has been traded to the Redskins, who have a pretty good line, and he looks average now.

I also think that defensive formations should have their penalties and benefits. There is real no difference in how the 3-4 and 4-3 defenses preform on the field. But I think that a 3-4 defense uses linebackers to put pressure on quarterbacks more than a 4-3, while 4-3 linebackers are more used for run stopping only.

Some linebackers might be more suited for a 3-4 or 4-3. This could be a playing style that past of the player's abilities, such as a quarterback's style (roll out, deep passes, short passes).

Maybe each player could have these kind of styles, making it more strategic what kind of players GMs pick to play on their teams.

thats it for now...

does anyone read these things anymore?

Ben E Lou
04-04-2005, 07:34 AM
Bumping this and TCY2, due to Jim's recent comments. Keep the ideas coming, guys.

gottimd
04-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Bumping this and TCY2, due to Jim's recent comments. Keep the ideas coming, guys.

Jim's recent comments? Where is that located at?

Northwood_DK
04-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Jim's recent comments? Where is that located at?http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/showpost.php?p=751595&postcount=20

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>Solecismic (http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/member.php?u=352)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_751595", true); </SCRIPT>
Solecismic Software

</TD><TD class=alt1><!-- message -->One major reason I don't announce new projects very far in advance is because I'm working on a lot of things.

That said, the bar is very, very high in baseball - these games are far prettier than I could ever hope to create without a team. I don't have the financial ability to hire a dedicated artist, though I feel confident that my engine design is very different from anything on the market. Maybe someday. Not this year.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

gottimd
04-04-2005, 07:57 AM
This thread is so long, and there have been many great ideas and suggestions, and even brief summaries of all the ideas throughout the thread, but I would like to reiterate the need for better HTML output. If you view some of the MP leagues, you will see that some GM's develop many reports through a variety of programs, that if somehow, the in game HTML output could create, would save a lot of time.

wade moore
04-04-2005, 07:59 AM
This thread is so long, and there have been many great ideas and suggestions, and even brief summaries of all the ideas throughout the thread, but I would like to reiterate the need for better HTML output. If you view some of the MP leagues, you will see that some GM's develop many reports through a variety of programs, that if somehow, the in game HTML output could create, would save a lot of time.

Jim needs to have a little pow-wow with VPI...

Ben E Lou
04-04-2005, 08:00 AM
I agree with the distinguished gentlemen from the District of Columbia with regards to in-game HTML improvements. It really could add a ton to the single-player experience.

gottimd
04-04-2005, 08:04 AM
For those who are not involved in MP leagues, or who have not viewed some of their sites to get a feel of what each league adds individually to the HTML reports, take a look at the Solecismic Community Page (http://www.solecismic.com/community/index.php) and browse around all the leagues. I would point out specific leagues and reports that are created, but I think all the leagues have unique reporting that could be used in some way or adapted into the in game HTML development.

stevew
04-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Just a simple suggestion here. But it would be nice to see the QB rating of your qb for every individual game he plays.

cody8200
04-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Just a simple thing, I want to see a players age on the players card.

Castlerock
04-05-2005, 10:45 AM
- Add dates to the transactions log (ex: 2005 week 5).
- Add injury info to the player card (as well as anything that makes it into the transaction log).

gstelmack
04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
- Add injury info to the player card (as well as anything that makes it into the transaction log).
What injury info? The Player Report Window already shows the injury and how long the player will be out for.

gottimd
04-05-2005, 10:51 AM
What injury info? The Player Report Window already shows the injury and how long the player will be out for.
I think he is suggesting Injury History on the player cards, like in 2006 "Broken Clavicle" missed weeks 2-8.

Castlerock
04-05-2005, 10:52 AM
But it is not persistent. I want to know if he was injured last year. It would make analyzing stats easier.

VPI97
04-05-2005, 10:53 AM
What injury info? The Player Report Window already shows the injury and how long the player will be out for. History of injuries....players can be injury prone in FOF.

http://www.fof-ihof.com/player/player.php?playerid=1084

gstelmack
04-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Okay, that makes sense.

paperstreetsoap
04-05-2005, 11:45 AM
i think that mock player card, not necessarily the image because i play fictional leagues too much, but the part where it shows his all-time standings..good stuff.

gottimd
04-05-2005, 11:48 AM

As I said before in an earlier post, this would be a great addition.

cthomer5000
04-10-2005, 01:14 AM
I would love to be able to greatly customize a player search, like this:http://somethingwithanh.com/fofc/player_search.gif

Riggins44
04-10-2005, 10:54 AM
One corny thing I've always thought would be cool, but have yet to see in any sport game: have the game automatically archive the championship teams so you can play what-if exhibition games against any champions from the past.

Oh, and combine TCY and FOF into one game.

dubb93
04-29-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm not reading through this whole thread to find out if this has already been brought up, but I've started playing the game again since the draft and see a problem I would like to get fixed.....

Right now I'm several years in and the Carolina Panthers just had the number 1 pick[a CB, their main weakness last year, and this as they have had the worst pass defense i've seen in a long time] in the draft and heading toward the end of the season he is unsigned. This just doesn't happen in the NFL and it will hurt the Panthers in the long run, not signing their top pick and having him re-enter the draft. He isn't the only first rounder unsigned this year, the Rams had the 29th pick and the top OLB in the draft fell to them. He is currently unsigned as well, both of these guys will make next years draft stronger, but they should be playing for these CPU teams this year.

The Panters are 9 million under the cap, while the Rams are 17 million under. I just can't see any reason why these guys aren't being signed.

At the very least if these teams aren't going to sign these guys[but they really should sign them] they should be able to shop the rights to the guys and get a deal done. As is, no one can even make a trade offer for these guys. To help them shop the rights to the guys I could see a trade block option being added, that way they could put the guys on the market and another team could make a fair offer and then sign the guy. It seems like every year at least one 1st rounder goes back into the draft the next year unsigned, this shouldn't be happening, especially not the top overal pick.

Like I said I didn't read through to see if this has been brought up, but if it has been, ehhhhh...i still got my complaint out there.

timmynausea
04-29-2005, 05:17 PM
This has probably already been mentioned, but I was looking back through old CFL drafts and I wish that the player cards tracked injuries. In some cases it is the most important thing that happens in a guy's career, and I feel like a big part of the story is potentially missing when I look at the player card and try to figure out why this 2nd rounder was such a bust and etc.

Franklinnoble
04-29-2005, 05:22 PM
One corny thing I've always thought would be cool, but have yet to see in any sport game: have the game automatically archive the championship teams so you can play what-if exhibition games against any champions from the past.

That is a sweet-ass idea.

See... Redskins fans are brilliant. :D

mrsimperless
04-29-2005, 05:23 PM
More player history information:

It would be intersting to be able to see past contracts for guys as well. How much was the contract originally for broken down by each year like it is on the negotiate salary screen, and then also a total value breakdown for each contract the same way that free agent offers are shown in the summary. Also, if only 4 of 6 years of a contract were fulfilled before that player was cut, that would be nice to know as well.

Also, if a player was traded the complete terms of the trade could be shown.

I guess what I'm looking for is sort of a player timeline of sorts. If I want to get the "story" of a player I could be shown when they were drafted and by what team (already have that) how much the contract was for, etc. It could show teams signed for in FA and contract amount, injuries (as noted by the post above) etc. It would really help to give a good overview to a player's career.

gottimd
04-29-2005, 05:34 PM
An all rookie leaders page, something like this (http://www.naflsim.com/webpages/rookies.htm) , what we use in the NAFL.

Or what about a "Potential Free Agents" report, which shows all of the players whose contracts expire after the current year, like this (http://www.naflsim.com/webpages/FA_FULL.htm) , what we use in the NAFL. This helps those of us who have been eliminated from post season play to start looking at possible free agent acquisitions when Free Agency begins.

Or a Hall of Fame watch, which tracks the players that have retired, like this (http://www.naflsim.com/webpages/HOF.htm) , which we use in the NAFL.

Something to track situational stats or player stats vs certain teams. Someone had been creating that Mod but production stopped.

The ability to post box scores in an HTML format. I guess add it on to the already existing "Create HTML" option.

yabanci
04-29-2005, 06:05 PM
The immediate draft busts should not shown until after training camp. As it is now, you see them right away after the draft and the drafting team never even signs to the player. It's a wasted first round pick, but that's all.

In real life, teams don't find out they have a bust at least until after they've signed the rookie contract and he shows up to training camp. That's what REALLY hurts a franchise -- wasting a big signing bonus on a rookie who turns out to be a bust (ala Ryan Leif).

RIght now you basically get a free pass on busts, at least from a financial perspective.

Young Drachma
04-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I'd love to be able to have players play both ways... basically, more flexibility with player assignments.

For example, I want to be able to have Troy Brown play DB or Mike Vrable play TE/FB. Whatever.

I want to be able to draft an athletic QB and have him play as a backup QB and fourth WR.

I like this too.

mhass
05-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Print button on the Transaction Log. Or at least an export to file.

yabanci
05-01-2005, 09:58 PM

Also, have the transaction list broken up by week/stage.

gottimd
05-01-2005, 10:00 PM
If you "Create HTML", the transaction report is an HTML report which you can open up the HTML page using excel. Tedious but it can be done. I agree with Yabanci though, I wish it indicated the stage the transaction was done.

mhass
05-01-2005, 11:48 PM
If you "Create HTML", the transaction report is an HTML report which you can open up the HTML page using excel. Tedious but it can be done. I agree with Yabanci though, I wish it indicated the stage the transaction was done.
Yeah, but I print my rosters and print my standings and print my stats. I'm html-ing the transactions - just seems more awkward. No big deal.

mhass
05-08-2005, 12:51 AM
One other thing as I sit here in the middle of a dynasty: the trade engine bugs me a little. I just tried every single team in the league and can't unload Brian Urlacher for anything over a 5th pick. Now if Urlacher is not worth anything more than a 5th rounder, fine. But give me something more than "This trade does not bring enough talent in return."

I play the draft pick game (extremely close is a 7th rounder, very close a 6th, etc.) to get to what the AI thinks is fair, but I've noticed that each offer I make, makes the package I'm offering less acceptable. It would more closely approximate RL if the AI just flat out said, "I'm not giving your a second round pick for Urlacher without RB Thomas Jones or a 2nd round pick. Period."

Along those lines, the Shop Player routine is nearly worthless. I haven't been able to move a player to an "interested" team is months. Nothing but the "This trade does not.." bit. Also, since there is almost never a player-for-player deal, let me offer a package up in Shop Player. Make it Shop Player(s).

I guess this could all be summed up by saying, have the AI (or human MP opponents) make counteroffers or guide me to what will make them happy instead of me constantly resetting the trade window for each team in the league and then releasing the guy.

And I know I've mentioned it before, but allow all-draft-pick trades, at least on draft day. That is a huge part of the real draft.