PDA

View Full Version : TCY Groupthink - North Carolina State Wolfpack

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Per Quik's great idea, I unveil the lastest FOFC Groupthink - TCY Style!

Head Coach - Craigsca
Offensive Coordinator - Ravenshawk
Defensive Coordinator - MikeVick
Recruiting Coordinator - Vexroid
QB coach/scout -
Backs coach/scout -
Receivers coach/scout -
OL coach/scout -
DL coach/scout - Quiksand
LB coach/scout -
DB coach/scout -
Special Teams coach/scout -
Scouting Team (scouts the upcoming opponent):

Next on waiting list: No one

We have a number of things to work out:

Do we have regional recruiters, or just our 2 coordinators?
Which type of team do we want? Bad team in a good conference (my personal fave)? Good team/good conf? Bad team/bad conf? Let's determine the type of team first, then we can determine the actual team.
Playoffs or bowls? (no preference here)
Any house rules? (1 visit, 1 phone call per week per recruit? No scholarship offer until 1 week after initial visit?)

Btw, I will be running a CLEAN program here. We will not be bribing people to come to our illustrious school.

Input, please! :)

Huckleberry
09-16-2004, 02:17 PM
What about splitting the RC's jobs up in terms of in-state vs. out-of-state recruits? Just a thought if we're going to have two.

JeeberD
09-16-2004, 02:20 PM
You guys have got to run UTEP. You just got to... :)

Coffee Warlord
09-16-2004, 02:21 PM
UNLV! Let's debauch and run a college team at the same time!

QuikSand
09-16-2004, 02:24 PM
I have no particular preference in terms of schools -- using a Sol-8 school has the drawback of seeing the players get mislabeled when explorting to FOF, if that's an issue for us, so I think that's probably not our best option.

albionmoonlight
09-16-2004, 02:25 PM
When you are picking a team, don't forget to consider where the Sol 8 will be (in your state, banished to Alaska, or something in between)? Should it have flavor (be renamed to be the Ivy League, etc.) or be ignored?

Balldog
09-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Btw, I will be running a CLEAN program here. We will not be bribing people to come to our illustrious school.

Screw this, I quit. j/k

I prefer Bowl Games, just because it is realistic. Even though I think the NCAA Bowl systems sucks ass.

How is UConn compared to the other Big East schools to start with?

sachmo71
09-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Harvard!

Ben E Lou
09-16-2004, 02:30 PM
We could always try N.C. State, as I mentioned in another thread...

Huckleberry
09-16-2004, 02:32 PM
I vote for Texas. :D

Coffee Warlord
09-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Air Force?

Huckleberry
09-16-2004, 02:34 PM
I actually thought of Air Force. If it were purely my choice, I would go with the Falcons.

Coffee Warlord
09-16-2004, 02:40 PM
AF gives us the added bonus of getting to beat up on Colorado State every year. Must kill CSU!

Huckleberry
09-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Although I really wish that the academies had unlimited scholarships. You know, we could just let in all the players over the limit on commissions into the academy. wink, wink.

WSUCougar
09-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Air Force would be very cool.

Ben E Lou
09-16-2004, 02:52 PM
I'd be concerned about degree of difficult (or lack thereof, more accurately) with Air Force. Utah usually does well, but the rest in their conference are mediocre or worse. Without some fairly stringent house rules, I'd fear we'll be winning all non-Utah conference games by 30 points after a while.

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Kansas? Vanderbilt? Northwestern?

Raven Hawk
09-16-2004, 02:58 PM
I like the idea of NC State as mentioned by The Dark Jedi in another post. With a group think, I don't want our challenge to be easy. NC State provides a good challenge for recruiting players as well as a tough division.

Wolfpack gets my vote.

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 03:15 PM
NC State...in my Duke dynasty...is actually a pretty decent team. We would definitely be over .500 in year one. Do we want a worse team? Or is this what we're looking for?

Ben E Lou
09-16-2004, 03:18 PM
NC State...in my Duke dynasty...is actually a pretty decent team. We would definitely be over .500 in year one. Do we want a worse team? Or is this what we're looking for?Was your Duke dynasty with 1.3? In 1.3 they have to play Ohio State, Miami (FL), FSU, Va. Tech, Maryland and Tech in year 1. Hard to say "definitely over .500" with those guys on the schedule.

mckerney
09-16-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm interested in taking the special teams tasks if it's not filled.

Coffee Warlord
09-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Upon considering, I'm pulling for any not very good team in a conference that has a championship game ('just for more games/fun)

mckerney
09-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Upon considering, I'm pulling for any not very good team in a conference that has a championship game ('just for more games/fun)

Baylor.

JeeberD
09-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Can I be your punter's coach, MC?

Raven Hawk
09-16-2004, 03:22 PM
I'd prefer not to start with a scrub team, especially if we are playing at All-Star level, which we should be. Group thinks tend to take more time than a dynasty that you are running on your own. I'm not quite sure what our goals would be as far as completing seasons, considering we want input from all of our coaches.

With that said, we'd be spending a lot of real time at the bottom, even if it wouldn't be a lot of game time.

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Was your Duke dynasty with 1.3? In 1.3 they have to play Ohio State, Miami (FL), FSU, Va. Tech, Maryland and Tech in year 1. Hard to say "definitely over .500" with those guys on the schedule.
That is an excellent point. No mine was on an older version. But we'll definitely have some talent to work with. So we won't look as bad a coaching staff. :)

Balldog
09-16-2004, 03:35 PM
BCS Conferences and Prestige (for your viewing pleasure)

Team Conf Prestige
Miami of Florida ACC 97
Florida State ACC 96
Virginia Tech ACC 86
Clemson ACC 85
Maryland ACC 82
Georgia Tech ACC 80
North Carolina State ACC 80
Virginia ACC 79
Wake Forest ACC 72
North Carolina ACC 71
Duke ACC 66

Michigan B10 97
Ohio State B10 94
Penn State B10 88
Wisconsin B10 86
Iowa B10 83
Purdue B10 83
Michigan State B10 81
Illinois B10 79
Minnesota B10 77
Northwestern B10 72
Indiana B10 70

Oklahoma B12 97
Nebraska B12 92
Texas B12 92
Kansas State B12 85
Texas A&M B12 85
Colorado B12 81
Texas Tech B12 77
Iowa State B12 75
Missouri B12 75
Oklahoma State B12 75
Baylor B12 67
Kansas B12 66

Boston College BEA 79
Pittsburgh BEA 78
Syracuse BEA 77
West Virginia BEA 76
Temple BEA 66
Connecticut BEA 66
Rutgers BEA 64

South Bend IND 87

Southern California PAC 92
California-Los Angeles PAC 88
Oregon PAC 85
Washington PAC 84
Washington State PAC 82
Oregon State PAC 81
Arizona State PAC 78
California PAC 77
Stanford PAC 76
Arizona PAC 74

Georgia SEC 93
Florida SEC 92
Tennessee SEC 90
Louisiana State SEC 90
Alabama SEC 87
Auburn SEC 85
South Carolina SEC 81
Arkansas SEC 79
Mississippi SEC 78
Kentucky SEC 72
Vanderbilt SEC 70
Mississippi State SEC 70

Balldog
09-16-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm open to any team, except Michigan.

Coffee Warlord
09-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Colorado anyone?

Be a fun storyline, too. After all the bad press, the brain trust was fired, and a group of miscreants came in to run the show.

Raven Hawk
09-16-2004, 03:48 PM
I think anybody with a prestige of 77-83 playing in one of the major conferences works for me.

Therefore, I would support a choice of Colorado.

Maybe we should just create a poll. :D

Ben E Lou
09-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Doesn't Colorado, being in the Southwest, have easier access to the "mother lode" of recruits in California? The other thing I like about NC State is that there are plenty of schools nearby that trump them in Academics and/or Prestige.

Ben E Lou
09-16-2004, 03:54 PM
IRL, the Head Coach (CraigSca) takes a job at a school and gets to hire his staff (us). I'd be game for that.

albionmoonlight
09-16-2004, 03:58 PM
The academics may make it too easy, but Vanderbilt also seems to fit most of that for which people are looking.

Ben E Lou
09-16-2004, 04:02 PM
The academics may make it too easy, but Vanderbilt also seems to fit most of that for which people are looking.A benefit of that is that we might get a better handle on the changes in academics in 1.3.

Raven Hawk
09-16-2004, 04:02 PM
CraigSca has heard from the peanut gallery, he can either choose to listen to us or ignore us either way. He should make the decision.

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 04:33 PM
CraigSca has heard from the peanut gallery, he can either choose to listen to us or ignore us either way. He should make the decision.
Well if that's the case then...we're headed on over to Maryland.

larrymcg421
09-16-2004, 04:34 PM
I'll go ahead and be the Special Teams Coach.

JeeberD
09-16-2004, 05:04 PM
I'll go ahead and be the Special Teams Coach.

Position filled...

I'm interested in taking the special teams tasks if it's not filled.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Actually, Icy would have dibs on special teams coach if he wants it (as he asked to be included in the group think earlier in the day), but I kind of left it open as I'm not sure what a special teams coach would do in TCY. If Icy wants the position, it's his, however.

I'll think about the school to pick in a little bit, though I will give a lot of careful consideration to your picks. I'd prefer a less than middle of the pack team in a good conference, so there's room to grow but something that won't take us 6 years to get going.

As far as Sol-8 is concerned, I'm leaning towards sticking it in Alaska and renaming the teams to represent the Ivy League. I've always had internal objections to playing against what I consider to be "odd" named schools like Barrow, Juneau and Kodiak. Let me know if there are any objections to this.

atatange1
09-16-2004, 06:10 PM
I'd like to see you guy's go with a tournament at the end of the season instead of BCS. I think it would add more fun and pressure for you guys instead of worrying about one bowl game. Just a thought.

Raven Hawk
09-16-2004, 06:32 PM
If we were looking to divide the Recruiting Coordinator position, we could divide it into Offensive and Defensive Recruiting Coordinators. Just a thought.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 06:36 PM
I was thinking that as well, Raven. It's the easiest way to divide recruits since the game uses states for searching as opposed to regions.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Ok - it seems I've received a few phone calls regarding my availability to coach a college football team this year. As I have no experience coaching any team on any level, I'm at least a little surprised by this. However, I've made arrangements with an agent and we're currently speaking to a few teams about taking over their program. Also, I told my agent that it's an absolute PRIORITY that I bring my entire coaching staff with me to the new school (which is kind of odd considering I have a full coaching staff picked, yet have no experience in running a program).

I've left some feelers out there and here are the offers I've received:

Oklahoma State University - Prestige of 75, Ranked #10 of 12 in conference

Advantages: great natural rivalries with instant underdog role, tough recruiting region, conference championship game, mediocre academics (#70), in the Big 12 south, so they face Texas and Oklahoma

Disadvantages: Access to a recruiting region with a large player pool (Texas)

Ole Miss - Prestige of 78, Ranked #9 of 12 in conference

Advantages: Tough recruiting region, tough conference, conference championship game, awful academic rating, in the SEC south, so they face LSU, Alabama and Auburn

Disadvantages: maybe their academics are too awful (#116)?

North Carolina State - Prestige of 80, ranked #7 of 11 in conference

Advantages: Tough conference, tough recruiting region, academics are pretty good (#51), but not so good that we can use it to our advantage

Disadvantages: Maybe they start off too good?

Let me know if you have any preferences, though I promise to make my decision quickly.

Raven Hawk
09-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Here are my preferences:

1. NC State
2. OSU
3. Ole Miss

Coffee Warlord
09-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Any of the three are fine. Depends on how tough you wanna make it, with those three teams.

If I had to rank em, in order of preference...

NC State, Ole Miss, OK State.

Ben E Lou
09-16-2004, 07:03 PM
As I've said, I have a good feeling about NC State. Their decent academic rating might look good, but with Duke, Carolina and Wake right there, Vandy not far away, and the toning down in 1.3, I think it'll be tough to recruit based on academics. Further, I have a feeling that the Prestige will drop before it rises. That year 1 schedule is TOUGH.

EDIT: My ranking would be NC State, Ole Miss, Ok. State

Balldog
09-16-2004, 07:22 PM
1. Ole Miss
2. NC State
3. OK State

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Ole Miss, NC State, OK State are my preferences

TredWel
09-16-2004, 07:47 PM
I see Ole Miss as being a very good challenge. NC State would be tough as well. I guess that means my preferences are:

1. Ole Miss
2. NC State
3. OK State

WSUCougar
09-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Here are my preferences:

1. NC State
2. OSU
3. Ole Miss
Ditto.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 08:26 PM
And the winner is....N.C. State.

Btw - I think our linebackers coach will be happy with this young man - Herman Sanderson, ILB. He's a 93-rated junior. :) Files to be uploaded to the web site within a few minutes...

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 08:32 PM
And the winner is....N.C. State.

Btw - I think our linebackers coach will be happy with this young man - Herman Sanderson, ILB. He's a 93-rated junior. :) Files to be uploaded to the web site within a few minutes...
And don't forget a happy D-Coordinator. =)

Ben E Lou
09-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Craig:

Can you give a little more direction about exactly what the role of each coach will be? As RB coach, which of the following am I responsible for recommending?

RB Depth Chart
RB Time Management
RB Recruiting
RB Coaching Blocks

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 08:41 PM
My guess is that you guys will be giving us a heads up on what recruits you're interested in. We would then evaluate them, decide how to spend our phone calls, visit dollars, etc.

I think me and WSU will also try to be a 'voice of reason,' in terms of telling us when we probably need to drop out of the contest on certain guys, etc.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking the first season will certainly be a work in progress, so this may evolve over time. However, here's how I see the first week going.

Postion coaches go over their players strengths and weakness and work with their coordinators to develop the offensive and defensive formations. I would suggest we pick a scheme that would involve everyone (i.e. an offensive scheme where we can both pass and run, rather than a single back or something).

Once a scheme has been put together, position coaches go over their depth chart and make recommendations for the # of players needed to recruit to their coordinator. Coordinators then finalize their wishlist # of recruits at each position to be approved by the HC. (this will be done pretty quickly, I like to delegate as much as possible)

Once positions and #'s at each have been approved, position coaches and recruiting coordinators work together to come up with a target list. House rules of 1 visit and 1 call per week will apply.

Position coaches make recommendations to their coordinator regarding time blocks for extra coaching, as well as coming up with a time management scheme. Also, I'd like to see a list of recommended redshirts. (as you can see, I will rely on my coordinators a lot - I will need them to be available)

Once the scheme has been put together, position coaches recommend depth charts to coordinators.

Coordinators develop a gameplan based on their position coaches input (I expect an active dialog between the position coaches and their coordinators in the thread) as well as our scouting department. These game plans will be pretty much rubber stamped by yours truly.

Basically, I see the process as this: HC relies heavily on the coordinators, who rely heavily on the position coaches. All the while, recruiting coordinators offer advice on prospects they've found, their recommendations on recruits found by others as well as recommend new scouts when there are vacancies.

The first week may be a slow one, as their is a lot to do. Once we get rolling, however, we should be able to move at a fairly good clip.

I think this group think will only be fun if everyone feels they make a contribution and are heard. Therefore, I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion and active participation :).

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 09:04 PM
will the files be up tonight? I just installed the patch and I'm revved up and ready.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Our Groupthink Files (http://www.scarboroughlimited.com/tcy/frfoot.zip)

I THINK these are the files. Someone give them a shot and let me know if they work. Unfortunately, it seems that you will need my city data files, bowl files, etc (I based this by looking at the TCY VC Indiana series of files), so it may wipe out your existing dynasties :(. Let me know if anyone knows an easier method and/or if all these files are NOT needed.

Thanks!

Edit: Note that I added the zipped file to my signature for instant access.

Vegas Vic
09-16-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm an N.C. State alum, so this will be an enjoyable experience for me. I expect this to be a much tougher challenge with the TCY upgrade.

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Wow. I haven't played in a long time, and it's like system shock looking at this game again. I have to re-adjust.

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Our Groupthink Files (http://www.scarboroughlimited.com/tcy/frfoot.zip)

I THINK these are the files. Someone give them a shot and let me know if they work. Unfortunately, it seems that you will need my city data files, bowl files, etc (I based this by looking at the TCY VC Indiana series of files), so it may wipe out your existing dynasties :(. Let me know if anyone knows an easier method and/or if all these files are NOT needed.

Thanks!

Edit: Note that I added the zipped file to my signature for instant access.
Yeah I've never done this before. Do you just replace your current files?

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm thinking you just put these in your universe directory. I was hoping that you could just put the files with the "55"s in the directory (as they are the saved game), but the VC Indiana team included all the "frfoot" files as well, so I assume you need them. The frfoot files contain such things as the city data, team names, saved file names, etc.

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 09:36 PM
I just copied my files and put them on my desktop and then placed your files in the directory. It loaded all of your previous dynasties.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Yeah....the saved game file has the new reference as well as all my old saved game references. What I'll do is delete all my previously saved games for the next go-round, so all you'll have is the one N.C. State reference.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Ok, the new file has been uploaded. This one only includes the current N.C. State files. Obviously, you can use the same link as before.

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 09:46 PM
I think the first major decision we need to make is what to do with the base offense. Our O-coordinator has been running a Trips offense for 5 years. The guy frankly sucks, so I imagine we'll be trying *very* hard to replace him next year.

Vegas Vic
09-16-2004, 09:53 PM
I think the first major decision we need to make is what to do with the base offense. Our O-coordinator has been running a Trips offense for 5 years. The guy frankly sucks, so I imagine we'll be trying *very* hard to replace him next year.

I'm only the LB coach :) , but my preference would be to eventually work toward a fairly balanced offense out of the I or single-back.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Lovely. I deleted all my other saved game files to create this "clean" install. Now, when I try to load TCY it says my installation is corrupted and that I need to install the CDROM. Wonderful. Guess I'll have to live vicariously through you guys.

Anyone wanna download the current files and let me know if you have the same problem? I swear all I did was use the "delete saved game" within the game itself.

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm only the LB coach :) , but my preference would be to eventually work toward a fairly balanced offense out of the I or single-back.
I have no real thoughts on the future of the offense (not my job anyway), but my gut feeling would be to stick with the trips formation this year in order to maximize our year 1 success (and future recruting abilities). Still though, I concede that this is not my decision to make, and I'll gladly defer to the offensive staff.

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Lovely. I deleted all my other saved game files to create this "clean" install. Now, when I try to load TCY it says my installation is corrupted and that I need to install the CDROM. Wonderful. Guess I'll have to live vicariously through you guys.

Anyone wanna download the current files and let me know if you have the same problem? I swear all I did was use the "delete saved game" within the game itself.
I downloaded the most recent zip file with the NCState save only...and it worked for me.

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 10:00 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I opened up the zip, dumped it in the universe directory, and loaded up the newest career. Everything is working fine for me.

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Oh. Ok, I downloaded the new files (with only the NC State save game), and everything is working fine.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, for whatever reason I rebooted and it works now. That never happened to me before. Go figure, but I'm back in business over here.

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Well, for whatever reason I rebooted and it works now. That never happened to me before. Go figure, but I'm back in business over here.
Sweet ...I didn't want to lose Sanderson...haha

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 10:06 PM
I have no real thoughts on the future of the offense (not my job anyway), but my gut feeling would be to stick with the trips formation this year in order to maximize our year 1 success (and future recruting abilities). Still though, I concede that this is not my decision to make, and I'll gladly defer to the offensive staff.

That's a good point, CT. We'll have to weigh the perceived value (has anyone ever quantified that?) of staying with the Trips vs. optimizing for our particular personnel. Admittedly, I haven't looked at how our personnel matches up with a particular formation/scheme, but I'll be relying on our coordinators for that :).

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Sweet ...I didn't want to lose Sanderson...haha

Haha! Yep, I just checked (to be sure). He's still there :)

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Man, the QB coach has a pretty tough decision to make, IMHO.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Check out Miami's roster...12 rated excellent or above, including two DEs, a WR and a RB. Fortunately 8 of them will be graduating this year :).

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 10:12 PM
***Defensive position coaches...not sure who the final list is at this point.***

My initial thoughts by just looking at the depth we have at DT is to go 3-4 this year. The 3-4 defense isn't my favorite D on the planet...but this year it looks like the way to go.

Please give me your input on everything as far as base defense...style (ie cover 2...man to man...zone...attacking)...recruiting needs. I'm open to all suggestions.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Man, the QB coach has a pretty tough decision to make, IMHO.

Wow, you're right. Kenny Spragan looks like he has more upside, especially in the short passing game while Arnold Dudzik is the big bomb guy. Justin Amaya isn't on their level in the passing game, but does show value as a good scrambler. Meanwhile, Leslie Harper's future estimate isn't very impressive while his green bars are.

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Wow, you're right. Kenny Spragan looks like he has more upside, especially in the short passing game while Arnold Dudzik is the big bomb guy. Justin Amaya isn't on their level in the passing game, but does show value as a good scrambler. Meanwhile, Leslie Harper's future estimate isn't very impressive while his green bars are.
Maybe red-shirting one of the juniors would be best? Again, real tough decision there though. I imagine the decision regarding the future of the offense will impact it. I could get behind any 3 of those upperclassmen as starters.

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm about to head to bed. My quick look at the roster tells me that DT and Guard are probably top recruiting priorities. CB doesn't look to be too far behind. I'll take a much deeper look tomorrow.

TredWel
09-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Please give me your input on everything as far as base defense...style (ie cover 2...man to man...zone...attacking)...recruiting needs. I'm open to all suggestions.
Just took a look at the secondary.

It seems as if a man defense would play to our strengths most, as most of our projected starters are better at man than at zone. A cursory glimpse at the linebackers seems to back that up - but talk to the LB coach for more info.

As for recruiting, I need more manpower at corner. Assuming we redshirt one of our three true seniors at the position, we'll still be reduced to starting a junior walk-on with only good potential next season. We're better at safety, with two sophomores waiting in the wings to pick up when the upperclassmen leave.

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 10:40 PM
As for recruiting, I need more manpower at corner.
I don't disagree. I think DT, G, and CB are at a 'critical' level.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Tred,

I just looked at the secondary as well and I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately, like many other positions, there's a huge fall-off after this senior year. I think we're going to have a tough time in season 2.

Raven Hawk
09-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Looking at the OL, we're pretty well set at guard and center for this year. The tackles are inexperienced, but they can be good. I will definitly want one guard for next season that can start as a FR. If possible, also a C or another G that I can redshirt for a year.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 10:45 PM
The #32 recruit in the country (and #1 cornerback) just happens to be living 100 miles from Raleigh. How convenient! :) (of course, he has a "terrible" attitude and his biggest weakness is man-to-man coverage, so this isn't a no-brainer).

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Look guys, I have a rabid alumni to satisfy. Just do what has to be done and get it done NOW! /slams door to office

That felt good :)

MikeVick7
09-16-2004, 10:51 PM
I don't disagree. I think DT, G, and CB are at a 'critical' level.
We also have 4 OLB's that are Sr's. We could possibly red-shirt one of them however. But this could be another critical recruiting position.

And uhh...CraigSca...I think we definitely go after the CB and take our chances. :D

cthomer5000
09-16-2004, 10:53 PM
*looks at roster*

*looks at demands from position coaches*

*looks at classified ads*

Huckleberry
09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Craig -

The link in your post above has "scarboroughlimited" and the link in your signature is "scarborough-limited". The signature link doesn't work, needless to say. (But I said it anyway)

Raven Hawk
09-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Looking at the recruiting picture, I have two interests:

1. G Mack Moorthy - Lives 7 miles off campus. Decent attitude and decent smarts with some good athletic prep. This is a guy that could probably step in as a freshman and we could get some decent starts out of him. The 36th ranked G in the country might bite since we are only 7 miles away. We'd need to have a contingency plan in later weeks if Mack doesn't show interest, though.

2. C Orlando Force - Lives 123 miles from NC State and is the 16th ranked C in the country. With moderate athletic prep, he could sit a season behind Hein and Bednarsh. Living as close as he does, I think he might deserve a phone call. This is not a "need" position, but he's a good risk to make a telephone call to just to see what his priorities are.

CraigSca
09-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Craig -

The link in your post above has "scarboroughlimited" and the link in your signature is "scarborough-limited". The signature link doesn't work, needless to say. (But I said it anyway)

Fixed, thanks! I do that all the time :redface:

Raven Hawk
09-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Non-Dola,
Scratch Mack Morthy as the primary target for Guard. I just realized that there are few players that are not in the area that would be interested in starting at Guard for our team next season. We'll need to check a couple of those out. Morthy would be a good contingency plan, though.

Huckleberry
09-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Holy crap. Our Top 5 rated WRs are all true juniors. Our top 3 TEs are all true seniors. Nice recruiting balance by the previous staff. :mad:

Keep in mind, Coach Sca, I'm a first year coach making the move from graduate assistant. That being said, here are my ideas after reviewing the receivers and tight ends (I assume the TEs are under me and not the OL coach). I welcome any input from fellow members of the staff as my TCY experience is very thin:

1.) Remove WR Trent Brodie's redshirt. He is at 65/65, making him both our best receiver and leaving him with no room for improvement so no point in redshirting.

2.) Place a redshirt on TE Calvin Stevenson. Rated 45/70, he has room for development and also is our 2nd TE. If we stick with the trips, there's no reason to have 4 scholarship TEs active.

3.) I like the trips formation with our personnel. Jack Mackie, starting TE, is a great run blocker. We have good options at WR even though we might be redshirting our two most talented players, both WRs. Our WR and TE young talent surpasses our backs talent at this point. Young freshman TE Kevin Gilman is loaded with ability, and projects to a very good run blocker.

4.) WR Corps - Trent Brodie is our go to guy when we need a first down. Decent big play ability, but his willingness to go over the middle is his biggest asset. Good hands. Kenneth Wertz and Butch Washington will be better deep threats. I would like your opinions on which two to redshirt from this group. Givens and Clark are the two left with redshirts after Brodie's is pulled, but these two guys both scream superstar.

5.) A huge caveat on this entire report. Our local scout is rated Terrible for receivers.

Recruiting

I've only made a cursory look, but I would like to recommend we take a look at TE Corey Adams and WR Byron Tinsley, who both attend East Columbus High in Lake Waccamaw. Adams idolizes our school.

Vegas Vic
09-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Linebacker assessment:

We're solid at both ILB and OLB. However, four of our OLB's are seniors, so I would recommend that some of our recruiting efforts should be directed there.

Junior ILB Herman Sanderson looks like an All-American candidate.

Recommend red-shirts for freshman ILB Levon Poston and senior OLB Erik Hoke.

Balldog
09-17-2004, 06:12 AM
So are the Offensive Position Coaches in favor of sticking with the Trips Formation for Year 1?

Ben E Lou
09-17-2004, 06:28 AM
RB/FB Situation

There is a bit of a logjam at RB. However, Orlando Macri, a true Sophomore, stands out to me as the guy we want to get the ball, with Senior Gino Linquist as his primary backup this year. I think Macri has the potential to be a true star. If we can keep enough guys healthy to do it, I further recommend that we apply the red-shirt tag to 4th-year Senior Al Prior and true Sophomore Robert Low. They might be useful with a little extra seasoning.

As far as how to use Macri and Linquist, neither has any serious deficiencies, so they can be used in normal situations, 3rd down, pass-catchers, etc. I'd set Macri's playing time to around 1 or 2, because right now I anticipate that there won't be much difference in performance between the two of them.

At fullback, Pete Dodge should be a solid run-blocker. Although he shouldn't get a lot of carries, he won't embarrass himself with the ball in his hands, either. If we can avoid injuries, I'd red-shirt Adam Withers (assuming we'll remain in a set that uses the fullback). Otherwise, we're starting a true freshman or the not-very-talented Clyde Hickman next season.

With this beginning talent, a case can *definitely* be made to using the single-back or trips set this year year. However, I'd lobby for next year, as Dodge could really help us this year.

As far as recruiting, my eye is turned toward RB Mario Burgess. Burgess is quite talented both athletically and academically. His weakness is in kick returning, and I'd rather not have my backs doing that anyway. He's only 77 miles away from us, down in Tar Heel. With his high athletic preparation score (62) it would behoove us to target him early in recruiting, or not even bother. He's the #242 player in the country, but with that athl. prep., he's likely to get some looks from big-time programs sooner rather than later. Second, there's RB Deion Gomez. Deion is a Top 100 player, which is why I rank him behind Burgess in terms of who I think we should pursue. I have my doubts that we'll be able to land a player of Gomez's caliber just yet, plus I'm not a big fan of his Poor attitude, and the fact that he might be mediocre academically--decent GPA and SAT, but weak academic preparation. My next option would be to go up to Pottstown, PA and take a look at RB Leroy Baird. Leroy has low athletic prep, but is very strong in the classroom. Given that Macri would be starting for Baird's first two seasons in Raleigh, that should be plenty of time to get him ready to play in the ACC. Finally, there's RB Hunter Towne, from Dade County High in Trenton, GA. He idolizes Tech, but looks to be worth at least an early phone call, just in case the Jackets, who look loaded at RB, aren't interested.

As far as fullbacks go, if we're going to continue to use one, I'd go after FB Mike Fulmer first and foremost this year. He's not a marquee recruit, but he's only 9 miles away in Garner, is strong in the classroom, has a Good attitude, and his strength is run blocking. If we decide not to red-shirt Adam Withers this year, then I'd advise going hard after FB Ben Timmons, from Fort Mill, SC early on. He's got high athletic preparation, and is best at run blocking. His main drawback: he idolizes USC, and the Gamecocks run the wishbone. If we decide to stay in a one-back offense, then we need to head over to Winston-Salem around Week 14 and induce FB Tracy Drakeford to walk on. 3.90 GPA, 1537 SAT, and a Very Good attitude.

Ben E Lou
09-17-2004, 06:36 AM
So are the Offensive Position Coaches in favor of sticking with the Trips Formation for Year 1?Without a strong QB, I'd say that FB Pete Dodge will help us more offensively than adding a third WR. RB Orlando Macri has the potential to be a star, but could use the extra blocker at least for this year. The offensive line is a little better at run blocking than pass blocking right now as well. I'd be concerned about leaving our QB back there in this league--unless we throw a *lot* of short passes.

Balldog
09-17-2004, 06:39 AM
Sorry, keep in mind I haven't seen the roster yet. Just seen a couple people suggest sticking with the trips, I personally would prefer to eventually run out of the I or single-back.

Ben E Lou
09-17-2004, 06:57 AM
TIME MANAGEMENT SUGGESTION FOR BACKS
(assuming we stick with 17 practice time)
(study hall, weight training, football study, relaxation)
RB Orlando Macri: 22/16/23/22
RB Gino Linquist: 15/15/27/26
RB Robert Low: 18/20/23/22
RB Al Pryor: 25/14/24/20
RB Billy Joe Ramirez: 22/20/20/21
RB Roosevelt Sheldon: 35/10/10/28 (This guy's never gonna see the field anyway...)

If we use trips or single back, then all FB's need to be given 30+ points for study hall, 30 relaxation for those with gf, 25 for those without. Otherwise, if we use FB's....

FB Adam Withers: 25/18/13/27
FB Clyde Hickman: 30/20/11/22 (no real value on the field)
FB Pete Dodge: 25/25/13/20

CraigSca
09-17-2004, 06:59 AM
Sweet, thanks Ben!

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Aaagh! I feel like I'm already way behind.

First, a few critical (to me) issues I need to know:

1. What was the resolution of the issue replacing TCY files? If this entails losing my current dynasty I'm afraid I must bow out. On a related note, can someone please either post or PM me a step-by-step process of what exactly to do in terms of the files (which ones, where to put them, etc.).

2. What is the targeted pace of this Group Think? I realize this is the exciting start-up phase, but you guys are jamming and I'm wary of committing to something if the rest of the staff is geared up for fast-paced progress and I'd slow things down too much.

3. How are we divvying up the Recruiting Coordinator duties, Coach? Or is that up to me and cthomer to work out?

Thanks.

Coug

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 08:36 AM
Without a strong QB, I'd say that FB Pete Dodge will help us more offensively than adding a third WR. RB Orlando Macri has the potential to be a star, but could use the extra blocker at least for this year. The offensive line is a little better at run blocking than pass blocking right now as well. I'd be concerned about leaving our QB back there in this league--unless we throw a *lot* of short passes.
but do you think it's worth switching an offense our coordinator has 5 years experience in when I'm sure you guys will be trying to replace the O.C. next year anyway?

IMHO, I don't know if getting an FB in the mix is worth the loss of formation experience. You could always red-shirt any good FB's we have, let some walk-ons take their spots on the active roster, and then unleash them next year.

just a thought from one of your scouts.

Huckleberry
09-17-2004, 08:39 AM
My other concern, even though the FBs may make it a solid idea, is that it seems we have the ability to run a normal set this year and then trips next year. I don't think we'd want to go through 2 consecutive years of formation change.

WSUCougar -

I think you're right about this being the startup phase. I don't plan on being able to devote 30 minutes every night to the project. I did want to get a good start because the most work will be in week one and then it should be less intensive from there, right? I will be taking another look tonight at my position unit and finishing up what I consider to be my pre-season one activities.

Ben E Lou
09-17-2004, 08:42 AM
but do you think it's worth switching an offense our coordinator has 5 years experience in when I'm sure you guys will be trying to replace the O.C. next year anyway?

IMHO, I don't know if getting an FB in the mix is worth the loss of formation experience. You could always red-shirt any good FB's we have, let some walk-ons take their spots on the active roster, and then unleash them next year.

just a thought from one of your scouts.That's an excellent idea! I could definitely get behind this:

1. Stick with trips this year.
2. Redshirt both Senior FB's.
3. Give the walk-ons 50 in study hall time so they don't hurt us academically.
4. Evaluate the FB/WR situation during recruiting this year and let that be a primary determinant of our long-term offensive set.

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 08:43 AM
2. What is the targeted pace of this Group Think? I realize this is the exciting start-up phase, but you guys are jamming and I'm wary of committing to something if the rest of the staff is geared up for fast-paced progress and I'd slow things down too much.
I don't know, but I think now might be a good time for me to make it clear I do not have game access during the work day.

3. How are we divvying up the Recruiting Coordinator duties, Coach? Or is that up to me and cthomer to work out?
I'll split it anyway you'd like. I think by positions or states are the easiest (only?) way to do so.

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 08:47 AM
I'll split it anyway you'd like. I think by positions or states are the easiest (only?) way to do so.
You take offense, I'll take defense?

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 08:50 AM
You take offense, I'll take defense?
works for me. If you even want to swap occasionally (or each year), I'd be fine with that.

I think we'll really have to get together on planning visits. We need to stretch every dollar we can out of the travel budget. :)

MikeVick7
09-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Red-shirt questions for the defensive staff (Quiksand...Vegas Vic & Tredwell)

Quiksand - D-Line
- Do we lift the red-shirt off of our best DE CJ Schmaltz?
- If so...since we have 6 on the roster...do we RS Blaine Finch or Timothy Carter? Those are the only two possibilities when looking at red-shirting someone else.
- With our DT's...is Grant Singh our best bet in the red-shirting department?

Vegas Vic - LB's
- Does red-shirting Levon Poston make sense? We seem to have enough depth at OLB to stick someone in as a back-up.
- Of our 4 senior OLB's...do we look at slapping the RS on Erik Hoke? He seems to be the most underdeveloped of all the seniors.

Tredwell - DB's
- Do we have the ability to RS any of our 5 CB's? I think we have to when taking next year into consideration.
- If so...is Henry Westbrook our best bet?

Ben E Lou
09-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Sorry, keep in mind I haven't seen the roster yet. Just seen a couple people suggest sticking with the trips, I personally would prefer to eventually run out of the I or <s>single-back</s> have my backfield coach slit his wrists.Fixed it for ya! ;)

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 09:14 AM
I think there is little doubt SkyDog wants the FB involved in the offense. I guess I or pro-form are our only real options, right?

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 09:16 AM
*begins chanting*

Veer Veer Veer!

Ben E Lou
09-17-2004, 09:22 AM
I think there is little doubt SkyDog wants the FB involved in the offense. I guess I or pro-form are our only real options, right?I wouldn't go that far. Just messin' around right then. My post before that expresses my true feelings. I think that decision should get made based largely on how things look early on with the FBs/WRs that we are eyeing in recruiting.

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't go that far. Just messin' around right then. My post before that expresses my true feelings. I think that decision should get made based largely on how things look early on with the FBs/WRs that we are eyeing in recruiting.
(Ok, slipping into my actual role now)

Given the pressing needs at 3+ other positions (I think CB, DT, and G are critical) it certainly would be easier to just not recruit one more position.

So (as a scout) I'm inclined to say, lets scrap the FB so we can go after more immediate needs. That would probably be the best move for year 2 success.

However, we all want to be in this for the long haul. I think we can afford to make a better long-term decision even if it makes this season's recruiting more of a balancing act.

Also, I'm not averse to giving out more scholarships than I usually would in a single year. We have a lot of needs for next year.

Coffee Warlord
09-17-2004, 09:37 AM
I won't get to look at the situation till tonight, but I'm of the opinion we break out whatever formation we're gonna stick with For All Eternity this year.

Trips or Single Back are fine with my pass happy self. :)

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 09:44 AM
I won't get to look at the situation till tonight, but I'm of the opinion we break out whatever formation we're gonna stick with For All Eternity this year.
While I can understand this thought, I don't know if you'll feel the same way once you see our offensive coordinator.

I'm more in the 'lets use whatever (little bit) this guy can give us and then can his ass' camp.

I think we may just need to make do with some lamde-duck staff members before unveiling the 'true' Wolfpack program next year.

TredWel
09-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Tredwell - DB's
- Do we have the ability to RS any of our 5 CB's? I think we have to when taking next year into consideration.
- If so...is Henry Westbrook our best bet?
I think we have to redshirt one of the seniors - they'd be more valuable as a starte next season than a nickleback this season. I vote for Shane McNeil. I'd much rather he be the feature corner next season than Henry Westbrook. Westbrook comes from a 0 Athletic Prep school, so it's doubtful if he'll ever realize his potential in his time with us. McNeil is just as good as Westbrook will ever be. It'll be better next season to make McNeil the playmaker. Westbrook can survive as the #2 CB behind this year's playmaker, Ralph Spaulding.

And for safety, I suggest redshirting Roy Murphy. He's got plenty of talent to grow into, and will probably start next season when O.J. Brooks graduates.

Ben E Lou
09-17-2004, 10:12 AM
While I can understand this thought, I don't know if you'll feel the same way once you see our offensive coordinator.

I'm more in the 'lets use whatever (little bit) this guy can give us and then can his ass' camp.

I think we may just need to make do with some lamde-duck staff members before unveiling the 'true' Wolfpack program next year.He must go, and go quickly.

http://www.benelou.com/fofc/oc.jpg

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 10:16 AM
man that guy sucks. he's very congenial though, I'll give him that.

Huckleberry
09-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Oh my goodness, Mack Brown is our offensive coordinator!!!

:D

Please note that the injury avoidance rating disagrees.

ed. - Does this mean we should take a couple of chances in recruiting offensive players this season with his terrific congeniality?

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Oh my goodness, Mack Brown is our offensive coordinator!!!

:D

Please note that the injury avoidance rating disagrees.

ed. - Does this mean we should take a couple of chances in recruiting offensive players this season with his terrific congeniality?
LOL

(And that's not a bad idea.)

Coffee Warlord
09-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Oh dear god. Hookay, this season we do whatever.

MikeVick7
09-17-2004, 10:56 AM
He must go, and go quickly.

http://www.benelou.com/fofc/oc.jpg
Well as bad as our O-Coordinator is...take a peek and see how bad our D-Coordinator is. Good lord.

Coffee Warlord
09-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Post it.

Ben E Lou
09-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Post it.Looking now...

Ben E Lou
09-17-2004, 11:05 AM
http://www.benelou.com/fofc/dc.jpg

Coffee Warlord
09-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Welp.

At least I now know where John Shoop and Greg Blache are.

Huckleberry
09-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Um, I guess we'll be good in the trenches?

QuikSand
09-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Defensive Line Report

We're not in awful shape here - but we lack sufficient depth to field a high quality four-man line right now. I would support starting out with a base 3-4 setup, or else using a quality LB in the DE position in the 4-3. I will assume that we are using a 3-4, for these purposes.

We must immediately lift the redshort on C.J. Schmaltz and get him slotted at DE. He should be a solid starter for two more seasons, and his development arc has been just fine. Schmaltz and Dwayne Finch should be our starters at DE -- Finch is a solid run stopper in particular, and later in the season we might want to try him out in the middle, even.

At DT, we should be prepared to start our one quality player, David Finley. Our DL reserves will be the respectable Leslie Davis and Timothy Carter. Wayne Davidson has potential, but looks like the type that might never really deliver on his promise -- we'll try to give him some time, but expectations shoudl be tempered.

We should redshirt Grant Singh - he is an academic standout, and if he gives us a decent year of development, he could be useful next season -- perhaps to allow us the luxury of redshirting a top recruit or two. He should do well academically, so having him here for five seasons is just great anyway.

Recruiting at the DT position is a very high priority.

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Recruiting at the DT position is a very high priority.
Noted (and I'm in full agreement). Start pestering WSUCougar with your list of dream recruits.

CraigSca
09-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Hmmm....our defensive coordinator not only sucks, but he's a jerk too.

CraigSca
09-17-2004, 11:55 AM
As far as timing of the group think is concerned, I was thinking the first week might take a week (our first advance then would be next Friday). After that, I was planning about 3 days in-between weeks, as most of the depth charting and schemes have already been worked out. I'll see how that goes (whether we need more time or not), but I'd certainly like to work at a pace that's at least slightly faster than real life (i.e. I don't want to be ending our first season after Christmas).

Any thoughts?

CraigSca
09-17-2004, 12:54 PM
In order to facilitate a sim by next Friday, I will need the following from the coordinators/recruiters.

Offensive/Defensive Coordinators: finalized plans for redshirts, formations, game plans, and time management numbers

Recruiters: Finalized list of recruits, along with communications requested (phone/onsite, visit request?)

Once received, I'll reserve the right to change any of this for the sim, but I guarantee you 99% of it I'll just keep. Before then, however, I will be offering my opinions as we progress.

Buzzbee, feel free to begin preparations for the Ohio game.

CraigSca
09-17-2004, 01:19 PM
dola^4

I'm really interested in putting together a balanced offense. I know we need to make allowances for our personnel, but I'd like to see an offense that averages 400 yards per game, split evenly between the run and the pass (and I want it NOW :) ).

To be a good team, I think we'll need a rushing attack that can eat up the clock (for the days when our defense needs it and the game situation dictates). However, we also need a passing attack to facilitate quick scores when we need it. From a pragmatic point of view, it would be nice to have both so all position coaches are involved as well.

Don't have the game in front of me at the moment, but I'm thinking that means I-formation or multiple pro...any others?

Coffee Warlord
09-17-2004, 01:25 PM
That sounds like a plea for the Run 'n Shoot to me. :D

Nothin' wrong with the I or the Pro Set (I prefer the Pro for a balanced game), other than the point that we can't 'cheat' recruiting and have to recruit personnel at all the offensive positions.

Buzzbee
09-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Buzzbee, feel free to begin preparations for the Ohio game.

Will do. Haven't downloaded the files yet, as Ivan was monkeying around and turned out my lights last night. Should be able to scout Ohio tonight.

CraigSca
09-17-2004, 01:29 PM
That sounds like a plea for the Run 'n Shoot to me. :D

Nothin' wrong with the I or the Pro Set (I prefer the Pro for a balanced game), other than the point that we can't 'cheat' recruiting and have to recruit personnel at all the offensive positions.

Ultimately, I'd like every offensive position coaches position on this. However, just to make it fun for everyone, it's the only way to go (unless someone can explain to me differently).

Edit: And since this is a group think, having holes in a recruiting plan really shouldn't be a problem (as it is in single-player mode) as we have position coaches having their needs heard.

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 01:33 PM
I could be mistaken (since I don't run the Pro) but that might mean we'll need FBs who can run the ball, as opposed to the I fullbacks who are primarily blockers. I realize there are exceptions to those general thoughts, but I thought I'd mention it.

Huckleberry
09-17-2004, 01:42 PM
As the receivers coach, I have no issue with any set. I'll have lots of WRs in a run 'n shoot and WRs and TEs in an I or pro set. As I said looking at our personnel, I would like to see the trips. I will yield to those with more TCY knowledge, but I think we can run out of the trips set with good blocking TEs. Obviously you're right that the pound it out game won't be as effective without a lead blocker. Could we recruit one big inside back to have every season to make up for that? I don't know.

I just think it will be a waste with our WR depth next year if it turns out our Terrible receivers scout is close to accurate to only ever have two on the field. Then again, we could set ourselves up for failure to base our future on a Terrible scout's perception of our squad.

On a more personal note, if I got to design a team and all my players, I would have an offense based on the I formation. Once again, tell me if I'm wrong, but a pro formation requires a more versatile fullback than may be available most years. With the I, you can really narrow down the skills your FB position needs to possess. edit - I had the post screen up for a while and WSUCougar touched on this aspect.

CraigSca
09-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Fortunately, we have time to decide this, but I'd like to pick formations sooner rather than later as a lot of future input will depend on it. I'll wait for Balldog to chime in with his input, and then we'll make a decision.

As far as defense is concerned, it sounds like a 3-4 is our temporary formation of choice. Fortunately, changing the defensive formation doesn't have the drawbacks that the offense has.

gstelmack
09-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Wolfpack Fans Anxious for New Season
Staff Writer gstelmack
RALEIGHT - As a new season gets underway, fans of the N.C. State Wolfpack are anxious to see how the Athletic Department manages to turn things around. There are some concerns that the new era is getting off to a slow start, as much of the original coaching staff remains intact. "Troy Brooks is a nice guy, but being a nice guy leads to an awful lot of 4th-and-7s" said one student interviewed on campus. "And Larry Duffy doesn't even have the nice guy thing going for him".

On the plus side, there are some solid players on the roster. There are some holes for next year at Defensive Tackle, Offensive Guard, and Cornerback, but the staff is working heavily on some promising recruits. The rest of the lineup is at least solid. There's a lot of interest in this years crop of Running Backs, nicknamed "The Young Jedi" in what appears to be an inside joke (no current players would comment, although there was lots of snickering and mention of a "flag" and a "split"). The LB core has some solid depth. And there appears to be a major QB controversy shaping up, which can be both a good and a bad thing.

The real tale for this new Department Staff will be shown next year, when they start acquiring their own recruits and have had a year to evaluate the staff. The fans may give them a honeymoon year, but the controversial decision to take it slow on the staff may come back to haunt them. A few wins will make that decision a distant memory, however.

MikeVick7
09-17-2004, 02:00 PM
As far as defense is concerned, it sounds like a 3-4 is our temporary formation of choice. Fortunately, changing the defensive formation doesn't have the drawbacks that the offense has.

Yes the 3-4 is the consensus so far. I think you can pretty much pencil that in as our base defense this year. I personally would like to look at switching over to a 4-3 base next season, but our strength's obviously in the 3-4.

So Craig...did you want the position specific coaches to come up with their own time management calculations? Or is that something the coordinators should be doing?

MikeVick7
09-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Dola - Oh I'm enjoying our staff writer.

Huckleberry
09-17-2004, 02:04 PM
Here's an outside the box thought that might be useless because I don't have TCY in front of me:

Can WRs switch to CB in TCY? Perhaps one of our junior WR studs could help shore up the CB position if we switch to a 2 WR set.

Balldog
09-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Will download file after work and chime in on thoughts of formation.

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Can WRs switch to CB in TCY?
Yes, they can.

Coffee Warlord
09-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Dola - Oh I'm enjoying our staff writer.

I'm just waiting until he starts writing harsh editorials questioning our staff's decisions. :)

gstelmack
09-17-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm just waiting until he starts writing harsh editorials questioning our staff's decisions. :)

Oh, it's coming...

MikeVick7
09-17-2004, 03:25 PM
And for safety, I suggest redshirting Roy Murphy. He's got plenty of talent to grow into, and will probably start next season when O.J. Brooks graduates.

Tredwel - Because we only have 4 safeties on the roster...would red-shirting Roy Murphy cause the game to produce one of those crappy walk-on's that drag down our GPA? I'm definitely all for saving talent for next season where we can but I'm afraid that this will hurt us by creating the walk-on.

Am I wrong in assuming this?

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Am I wrong in assuming this?We can keep cutting the walk-ons until one with a reasonable GPA appears.

edit: or just max out study time since we don't need their on-field skills whatsoever

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 03:41 PM
We can keep cutting the walk-ons until one with a reasonable GPA appears.
FYI - this can wreak havoc with team happiness.

I think we could get away with it by using a CB as the 4th safety on the depth chart, but if we sustain an injury the AI will fill it with a rogue walk-on. I'd generally recommend keeping four active, although I haven't seen the file yet.

MikeVick7
09-17-2004, 03:46 PM
FYI - this can wreak havoc with team happiness.

I think we could get away with it by using a CB as the 4th safety on the depth chart, but if we sustain an injury the AI will fill it with a rogue walk-on. I'd generally recommend keeping four active, although I haven't seen the file yet.
Yeah that can be the problem with the whole walk-on thing. If we acquire one that the players like...it can have a negative effect on the team if we cut him. I'm also in favor of keeping 4 active unless someone else has a solution to this.

Balldog
09-17-2004, 03:54 PM
TO: OFFENSIVE COACHING STAFF

What Formation do we want to use? I've heard several pros and cons of certain formations. The current OC who from all indications will be fired after this season sucks and is currently running a Trips formation. I would like to eventually get to the I-formation, switching this year bring in an unfamiliar offense but I think this team might be better suited for the 'I' anyway.

My plan for offense is a balanced attacked, with more short passing then bombing away. Main runner would be the RB, FBs would get limited carries. Thoughts? Comments? I'm just trying to get a vibe from the others.

CoffeeWarlord - Who do you think we should redshirt? I was thinking Spragan, since he will likely not be any use to us this year and has the potential to be solid.

Player # Pos Elig Current Estimate Future Estimate
Dudzik, Arnold 13 QB Jr 47 62
Amaya, Justin 17 QB Sr 43 43
Spragan, Kenny 3 QB Jr 32 61
Harper, Leslie 12 QB* Fr 6 39

SkyDog - I agree with your assessment on the running backs. Wander if TE Earnest Sweeney could be converted to a FB?

Macri, Orlando 46 RB So 48 50
Linquist, Gino 21 RB Sr 44 44
Low, Robert 37 RB So 40 45
Pryor, Al 22 RB Sr 39 68
Ramirez, Billy Joe 45 RB So* 38 65
Sheldon, Roosevelt 28 RB* So* 28 51

Dodge, Pete 48 FB Sr 48 62
Withers, Adam 34 FB Sr 47 55
Hickman, Clyde 49 FB So* 28 60

Huckleberry - Any players you would like to redshirt? How do you feel about moving Sweeney to FB and possibly moving another WR to CB? Who would you like to see moved?

Mackie, Jack 94 TE Sr 55 55
Stevenson, Calvin 86 TE Sr 45 70
Sweeney, Earnest 82 TE Sr 37 37
Gilman, Kevin 99 TE Fr 24 49
Rivers, Rob 83 TE* Fr 23 32

Brodie, Trent 6 WR Jr 65 65
Wertz, Kenneth 87 WR Jr 59 59
Givens, Rodney 1 WR Jr 57 100
Washington, Butch 81 WR Jr 55 55
Clark, Donald 80 WR Jr 52 97
Forbes, Earl 84 WR So* 34 72
Harmon, Julio 88 WR* So* 18 62
Cunningham, Lamont 8 WR* Fr 13 31

Ravenshawk - Any comments on the OL? Redshirt anyone?

Hein, Albert 51 C Jr 79 79
Bednarsh, Ricky 50 C Sr* 69 72

Wayne, Cedric 62 G Sr 77 81
Matthews, Nathan 79 G Sr* 64 77
Buckner, Glenn 72 G Fr 15 56
Garay, Kim 78 G* Fr 14 70
Everett, Adrian 61 G* So* 3 44

Lentzner, Newt 77 T Jr* 43 82
Miller, Kelvin 69 T Jr* 35 56
Frederick, Hugh 65 T Jr* 19 81
Morton, Bobby 70 T* So 16 52

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah that can be the problem with the whole walk-on thing. If we acquire one that the players like...it can have a negative effect on the team if we cut him. I'm also in favor of keeping 4 active unless someone else has a solution to this.
well, we absolutely have to 'save' some DB's for next year. Bring on the walk-ons, and well max their study time.

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 04:02 PM
As Offensive recruiting coordinator, I strongly suggest holding off 1 year on changing our base offense. We may end up emptying the cupboard if we need FB's in the offense this year.

Balldog
09-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Just scanning some of the local offensive recruits.

Corey Adams, TE
Marvin Canady, T

Both idolize NC State and could possibly help us someday.

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Just scanning some of the local offensive recruits.

Corey Adams, TE
Marvin Canady, T

Both idolize NC State and could possibly help us someday.
one of them is a real idiot though, right?

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Defensive coaches:
Coordinator - MikeVick
LB coach/scout - Vegas Vic
DB coach/scout - Tredwell

Greetings from the defense recruiter. When you get a chance, please post or PM your general philosophy and skill preferences for your respective positions. Here are my own general biases as a starting point (note that I won't stick to these once I learn yours - it's just a starting point):

DT: Run-stuffers are much more of a priority. Average or better ratings consistency is a nice advantage but not critical. Athletic prep is quite significant.

DE: Balanced skills are especially nice, but pass-rushing takes priority. Athletic prep is quite significant.

ILB: Run defense is key. Pass-rushing and INT are minor priorities.

OLB: I think this is a particularly important position to know what you want to do with each targeted player.

CB: I love man coverage skill. Return skills are a bonus. Seems like you can get away with lower athletic prep at CB (at least moreso than other positions).

S: I particularly love high ratings consistency safeties, but any safety with poor run/man/zone skills is a liability.

Huckleberry
09-17-2004, 04:20 PM
I mentioned Adams earlier. He has a teammate Tinsley, WR, who is also one to consider. However, I haven't looked that closely at recruiting yet.

Balldog -

I will look at your questions this evening. One thing your post brought to my attention I hadn't considered is that all our Jr. WRs are true juniors, but both of our Sophomore WRs have redshirted already. This means that our roster is filled with 7(!) wide receivers that came in together in the same recruiting class. That makes redshirting the juniors a tough decision.

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Another thing I think is a good idea is to establish a recruiting base at some of the local power high schools. Even if a player isn't quite top shelf, it could pay dividends down the road to have HS teammate(s) around to bolster a recruiting effort when a blue chip pops up at that school. The players also come in more developed so they can contribute more quickly anyway. We can even look at attracting lower-level walk-ons (rated in the 20s and 30s) from such power schools if we don't have 16 scholies to offer in a year.

Balldog
09-17-2004, 04:44 PM
one of them is a real idiot though, right?

Canady is a little iffy I suppose.

QuikSand
09-17-2004, 04:55 PM
DT: Run-stuffers are much more of a priority. Average or better ratings consistency is a nice advantage but not critical. Athletic prep is quite significant.

DE: Balanced skills are especially nice, but pass-rushing takes priority. Athletic prep is quite significant.

I'm right there with ya, boss. This is a position where quality would really count -- if we could land just one top-flight, ready-to-go, run stopper to play DT, it would open up a lot of very good options for us right away. Getting two or three roster fillers doesn't add much here, though depth will be important eventually.

Huckleberry
09-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Okay, quick question. In looking at the players info screens, does a player listed as a "SO*" (or "SO" with yellow lettering in game) mean the same thing as what we would call a redshirt sophomore or a redshirt freshman in real life?

Seems to me that it's what we call a redshirt freshman.

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Okay, quick question. In looking at the players info screens, does a player listed as a "SO*" (or "SO" with yellow lettering in game) mean the same thing as what we would call a redshirt sophomore or a redshirt freshman in real life?

Seems to me that it's what we call a redshirt freshman.
A sophomore with yellow brackets is a real-word 'redshirt freshman.'

I think it's a bit confusing in game, and honestly wouldn't mind seeing a 1,2,3,4,5 designation in a future version.

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm going to start looking around for guards, the glaring immediate need for the offensive side of the ball.

Offensive Position Coaches, please give me your evaluation of your respectivie positions.

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 07:22 PM
GUARDS: FIRST LOOK

I decided I might as well just right these up in real time here, as if they were a 'real' scouting report.

State: North Carolina

Our Southeast Region Scout, Dean Thornton, has a reputation as a 'terrific' offensive line scout. Here's to hoping that reputation is for real, because we need to find an immediate starter at guard.

I start my scouting in state, where my intern has come up with a rough list of 9 players worth even thinking about. Thornton and I immediatley whittle that list down to a realistic 5, the bottom 4 are not (in our opinion), Division I talents.

G Mack Moorthy
rank by position (state/national): 1/36
overall rank: 10/336
scout evaluation: 72 of 100
style: mauler (run blocking strength, very low consistency)
thoughts: Hailing from Cary, NC just 7 miles away, Moorthy is solid, red graded player. I'd expect we'll see a distinctly strong run-blocker, and a so-so pass protecter given his strengths and consistency. He come from a solid high school program (65 preperation).
academics: 2.90, 975 from a high school of dubious quality (20) could be a red flag. we may end up wasting a fair amount of time keeping him on the field
final thought: may be a bit out of our league and comes with minor academic concerns

G Shane Sanderson
rank by position: 2/61
overall rank: 19/529
evaluation: 67 of 100
style: finesse (pass blocking strength, very low consistency)
thoughts: 83 miles away, meaning some of our closer rivals may take away our "proximity" strength. Comes from a 'good' high school program (44), so he likely won't be starting as a true freshman. coded blue
academics: 2.84, 1077 from a very good (61) high school. should not be an academic concern
final thought: not likely to be a freshman starter, but looks to be worth pursuing. he shouldn't need an extra academic time, so he can focus on weights and film. Since we need impact and depth, we should at least give him a phone call.

G O.J. McCombs
thoughts: too big an academic risk (borderline from poor high school), and a 55 grade from a lousy high school (28) doesn't exactly inspire me. I think he'd be a classic wasted scholarship, so I suggest we ignore him, or puruse him as a walkon (very unlikely).

G Harry Patterson
thoughts: outstanding academics, but a very serious question mark in athletic skill. He's rated 53 from a crap school (13). Not worth a scholarship.

G Myron Makuch
thoughts: He's flying red flags at full mast. his lousy academics probably make him worthless as a walk-on, too.

NC summary: 2 guards worth pursuing, and 1 may be out of our league.

MikeVick7
09-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Defensive coaches:
Coordinator - MikeVick
LB coach/scout - Vegas Vic
DB coach/scout - Tredwell

Greetings from the defense recruiter. When you get a chance, please post or PM your general philosophy and skill preferences for your respective positions. Here are my own general biases as a starting point (note that I won't stick to these once I learn yours - it's just a starting point):

ILB: Run defense is key. Pass-rushing and INT are minor priorities.

OLB: I think this is a particularly important position to know what you want to do with each targeted player.

CB: I love man coverage skill. Return skills are a bonus. Seems like you can get away with lower athletic prep at CB (at least moreso than other positions).

S: I particularly love high ratings consistency safeties, but any safety with poor run/man/zone skills is a liability.

WSU...I'm pretty much right there with you as well.

DE and DT's - our thinking is pretty much dead-on and it looks like Quik is there too.

ILB's - Again...yes the #1 thing I look for is the ability to defend the run.

OLB's - I'm just a fan of the 4-3...so I always look for my SOLB to be good in defending the run and also have good cover skills. For my WOLB...I just look for a guy that can blitz the QB as his main attribute.

CB's - I like man cover skills as well. I had visions of trying to incorporate some kinda zone blitz package when this thing first started. Now I don't know how effective that would be in this game as I've never tried it before...so I guess any input from anyone here who has tried it would be more than welcomed.

S - I like to find a true SS and FS. SS would be strong in run defense...that would be his strongest attribute. And the FS would be strong in coverage skills...MtoM or Zone. If you let the cpu select your starting lineup for you it always seems to put the Safety with the strongest Run Defense skills in the FS spot...does anyone know why this is? It seems backwards to me.

But it looks like we're on the same page so far.

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 08:40 PM
I made myself a new set of player year indicators, here they are in action:

http://lovetohate.us/fofc/year_indicators.jpgI

The number indicates what year of eligibility the player is currently in. Just as with the originals, gold means they've already red-shirted.

To me, there's a little less mental processing here before I can figure out who's what.

edit: and if anyone's interested in them, lemme know.

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Corey, how you want to split out the kickers for recruiting?

cthomer5000
09-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Corey, how you want to split out the kickers for recruiting?
punters = defense, kickers = offense?

WSUCougar
09-17-2004, 09:00 PM
punters = defense, kickers = offense?
Yup

Coffee Warlord
09-17-2004, 09:40 PM
<b>From the Desk of Coffee 'Shut Up and Throw It' Warlord</b>

Well. Interesting situation we've got here, now that I've had a chance to look.

The good news is, we have a several eligibility years of passable quarterbacks to play with. Now who the hell do we start. My take on these misfits. (And I'm going against conventional wisdom here.)

<b>Kenny Spragan</b> - Yessir, I want him starting right now. If he develops during the course of the season, he easily becomes our best arm. We have a true freshman red-shirted who I am hoping will be an eventual starter (assuming, quite likely, we don't steal a blue chip QB recruit). Put the boy in there, coach, and keep him in. I suggest bumping up his playing time heavily, as there's no point in letting my suggested backup, a senior, take snaps and development away from him.

<b>Arnold Dudzik</b> - If you want to redshirt a QB, here's your man. We don't need him right now if we're starting Spragan. With any luck, he'll be backing up Spragan next year, and possibly backing up Harper in his final year.

<b>Justin Amaya</b> - #2 QB. He's at least solid enough not to totally ruin us if Spragan goes down. I'm not high on him at all, but I'm at least not terrified if we lose Spragan.

<b>Leslie Harper</b> - Keep him happily red-shirted, don't even consider playing him. If he develops, and, as I said, we don't steal a blue chipper, this is our boy in a few seasons. Get him plenty of extra help in study hall, however, as he is one god awful student, and I don't want to lose eligibility on him. I think our scout is insane by calling his potential at 39, though what the hell do I know. :)

As for academics on all four of these guys, keep a close eye on their grades. None of them appear to give a rats ass about their academic lives, so we'll have to drag them kicking and screaming through their classes.

If you do decide to redshirt one more of our QB's, well, whatever walk-on we get as #3 QB should never see the field unless it's just ungodly dire.

Obviously we are not a high priority recruiting position right now, and hopefully won't be for a season or two. I'm suggesting we use this and attempt to steal a high tier QB away. Likely won't happen, but if you have extra recruiting slots to spend, I request you try and get me a god.

My pipe dream quarterback is Conrad Kramer out of Iowa. Blue coded, 66 athletic prep and 42 academic prep, who is strong at the medium pass and can run like a mofo. While I do prefer pocket passers, a running QB sure ain't bad either. Good attitude, 2.74/1118 GPA.

QB's further down that you may want to give a call to are Nate Fink of Indiana, who is another guy I'm high on, with an added bonus of him being an academic god from a high athletic/academic prep school. Also blue coded.

Chuck Bermudez out of Colorado and Ty Chavez out of PA are also worth looking at. Chuck is green coded, and Ty is blue. Both are good at academics. Chuck comes from a piss poor athletic school (8), Ty comes from a slightly better, but still fairly suck one (38).

None of the 4 local North Carolina boys are worth our time.

TredWel
09-17-2004, 10:00 PM

CB: Right with ya. Man should be our focus from the get-go.

S: I'm willing to give a player with good run defense skills some leeway in the coverage skills, where we can slot him in the Strong Safety spot. The Free Safety needs good coverage skills, and I always like him to have strong interception skills on top of that.

TredWel
09-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Just took a cursory glance at the possible CB recruits. The #1 corner in the nation happens to be in our backyard, Travis Bensen. Only East Carolina is a closer school. He's rated at a 93 by our Excellent scout, and he's got an athletic prep of 79. However, I think we should pass on him. His academics are not very promising, with a 2.23 GPA and 870 Test score. Plus, his biggest weakness is Man defense, which we've ascertained is going to be our cover scheme of choice. This is not to mention the fact that we could be outgunned by a bigger institution wanting the top recruit.

Nope, my guy is a little bit more south, just over the border in South Carolina. Wade Copperfield is the #180 recruit and #12 CB this year. He's rated 72 by our excellent scout. His strength is man coverage. His academics are much better, with a GPA of 3.34 and Test of 1207. We have a distance advantage with him over any other school, save South Carolina. The only blemishes on his resume are a forgivable 37 Athletic Prep and Low ratings consistancy, which is not quite as forgivable. Still, he plays into our strengths, and with the #1 CB recruit just up the road, he may fall a bit under the radar by the local heavyweights.

Safety is a lesser concern, but I still want to draw attention to Blake Maloney, the 27th best safety recruit in the country. He's out of Winston-Salem, and very close to our institution. He's rated 80 by our scout. He's a good prospect for a Strong Safety, as his best skill is Defending the Run. His Academics are impeccable, with a GPA of 3.82 and Test of 1361. While his Athletic Prep is low (14), and he is located in the middle of the state, closer to other schools, I suggest we take a look at him if we have a spare scholarship to grant.

Huckleberry
09-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Here's my report. I have included recommended time management based on the 17 practice time. Study Hall/Weights/Football Study/Relaxation. Definitely take a look at my numbers and let me know what mistakes I might be making on taht.

Wide Receivers

#6 - Junior Trent Brodie - Brodie is our top-rated wideout in current ability. Remove his shirt and play him as our #1 receiver this year. His willingness to go over the middle and good hands make him a match for the offense Balldog wants to run. He's terribly unhappy right now, FWIW.
20/14/24/25

#87 - Junior Kenneth Wertz - Wertz should be our #1 punt returner this season. Combined with his low endurance, he will be giving up plenty of snaps to our #3 receiver if we switch to the I.
25/11/21/26

#1 - Junior Rodney Givens - Our most talented player, I actually recommend keeping the shirt on Givens this season.
25/11/21/26

#81 - Junior Butch Washington - Washington is my #1 choice to switch to CB if we decide to do that. However, I don't think that any of my WRs will be serviceable as a CB, so we should forego that completely. Either way, I recommend he not play as a WR this year. He should be redshirted for year-to-year consistency at the position.
19/14/24/26

#80 - Junior Donald Clark - I recommend removing Clark's redshirt. He is a great 3rd down receiver and with his superb conditioning and return skills, he will be spelling Wertz quite a bit. He may, in fact, take over as the #2 receiver by season's end. And if we stick with trips, he should be the 3rd starter.
23/12/22/26

#84 - Sophomore* Earl Forbes - We need to keep a close eye on Forbes. His high school was awful academically, and he has a girlfriend. We may need to use some additional coaching blocks on this kid. He may be worth it in the end because District 55 high school is a classic athlete factory. Terrible academics, excellent athletics. Fortunately Forbes is a bright kid.
19/14/24/26

#88 - Sophomore* Julio Harmon* - I don't mean to talk down about a kid's intelligence. But let's just say Harmon makes up for his lack of God-given brains with a total lack of effort. On top of that, he has a girlfriend eating up his time and is a popular player, so cutting him could be a problem. On the bright side, he has shown flashes of becoming a go-to 3rd down receiver in the future, and has the large hands to stop dropping the ball. His high school is very good both academically and athletically.
28/10/20/25

#8 - Freshman Lamont Cunningham* - Lamont is an unhappy kid. His teammates don't hate him, but he doesn't seem to have many friends on the squad. Additionally, his high school is as bad as it gets at athletic preparation, and only average academically. I fear that this kid will simply chew up practice time with only the very slight possibility of contributing as a return specialist late in his career.
35/10/13/25

RECRUITING OUTLOOK - The number one receiver in state, Jamie Newville, is an academic suspension waiting to happen. #2 Byron Tinsley from East Columbus High in Lake Waccamaw, NC is one to keep an eye on, but he shouldn't take a scholarship away from a higher priority. His academic background is adequate at best and his ratings consistency is very low with our terrible scout. Furthermore, Lake Waccamaw is not a school we need a pipeline into. One out-of-state guy to possibly go after is Antoine O'Donnell from Mission Viejo, CA. With our terrific recruiting OC, this might be a big fish to chase as I don't think we would give more than 1 WR a 'ship this year anyway. Next year we are slated to have 3 senior WRs, 2 juniors, and 1 sophomore on scholarship by eligibility. Perhaps two scholarship WRs if we can find the candidates to maintain class balance.

Tight Ends

#94 Senior Jack Mackie - An excellent run blocker who is very good at catching passes over the middle. He will struggle with drops from time to time but should be a solid player for us this year. This is our starter.
18/23/16/26

#86 Senior Calvin Stevenson - Stevenson should get a redshirt this season. He is a better receiver than Mackie but not as accomplished of a blocker.
30/18/13/22

#82 Senior Earnest Sweeney - I was asked to evaluate Sweeney as a possible FB candidate. I don't feel he would give us anything there we don't already have. His run blocking doesn't project and his height would make it hard for him to get under the defender's pad level. I recommend allowing Sweeney to finish out his scholarship in the classroom, where he will need extra study time, and possibly on special teams.
27/20/13/23

#99 Freshman Kevin Gilman - Gilman should get the snaps as the team's #2 tight end this season. When Stevenson leaves after next year, Gilman may be needed to step up as our starting TE. He projects well as a run blocker and reliable receiver, but needs the work as he comes poor program in high school. He also is not a high achiever in the classroom.
24/21/15/23

#83 Freshman Rob Rivers* - Rivers has a chance to develop into a scholarship player, particularly as a blocking TE who can go over the middle for a crucial catch. Unfortunately his intelligence combined with his girlfriend will make his football practice time limited. He's pretty popular with his teammates, though, so I don't know if we can afford to cut him from the squad.
26/18/13/26

RECRUITING OUTLOOK - The #1 TE in the state idolizes our school. Corey Adams is a classmate of Tinsley's at East Columbus, though, so he may not be all he's cracked up to be. Two out of state regional prospects worth a glance are Jimmy Cunningham from Albert Einstein High in Kensington, MD and Everett Newton out of Blacksburg, VA High.

Vegas Vic
09-18-2004, 06:25 AM
Guys,

I'm going to be extremely busy for the next three to four weeks, and I won't be able to devote the quality time that is needed for this dynasty. In fact, I'm going to be struggling to devote enough time to my IHOF team, but I'll make sure that it stays on decent footing.

I request that you replace my position with someone who has expressed an interest in participating.

Thanks.

CraigSca
09-18-2004, 07:15 AM
Ok, looks like we'll move Icy to linebackers coach, if he wants it. Will have to check the signup thread to see who'll be taking over the special teams position.

Thanks for the honesty, Vic.

MikeVick7
09-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Sorry to see you leave my staff Vegas. Herman Sanderson is beside himself over here in his dorm.

thealmighty
09-18-2004, 11:31 AM
This may be a stupid question but I never read the other 'groupthink' dynasties so pardon my ignorance, but... Is this kind of thing for the participants only, basically, or is it to draw in others to read and comment?

My point is, actually, and I don't know that I recall seeing this before (man, I need to take a writing class and cut out the ancillary sentence structure/comment shit :) ), but it seems to me that if others, not on the staff, were allowed to download your universe files you could enliven this thing a great deal and increase participation (ramblin mo-fo, aren't I)...fuck that, get to the point...

I think it would be cool if other people sign up to be media members. What they do is download your universe and critique the decisions y'all make. Someone would be:

sporting news/sports illustrated national mag guy
dickhead national recruiting guy
conference based sports guy
local nc state cover guy
etc...
Depending on numbers of volunteers, of course. For instance, some Mel Kiper wannabee takes your staff to task because when he grades recruits, he can't understand why you went after so-and-so. Or another want's to know why QB #2 isn't playing more, blah, blah. You get the point, or not.

Maybe stupid, maybe clever, I don't know, but it sounded interesting to me and I can't recall seeing this kind of participation before.

Thoughts (be gentle, I'm tired ;) .)

General Mike
09-18-2004, 01:52 PM
This may be a stupid question but I never read the other 'groupthink' dynasties so pardon my ignorance, but... Is this kind of thing for the participants only, basically, or is it to draw in others to read and comment?

My point is, actually, and I don't know that I recall seeing this before (man, I need to take a writing class and cut out the ancillary sentence structure/comment shit :) ), but it seems to me that if others, not on the staff, were allowed to download your universe files you could enliven this thing a great deal and increase participation (ramblin mo-fo, aren't I)...fuck that, get to the point...

I think it would be cool if other people sign up to be media members. What they do is download your universe and critique the decisions y'all make. Someone would be:

sporting news/sports illustrated national mag guy
dickhead national recruiting guy
conference based sports guy
local nc state cover guy
etc...
Depending on numbers of volunteers, of course. For instance, some Mel Kiper wannabee takes your staff to task because when he grades recruits, he can't understand why you went after so-and-so. Or another want's to know why QB #2 isn't playing more, blah, blah. You get the point, or not.

Maybe stupid, maybe clever, I don't know, but it sounded interesting to me and I can't recall seeing this kind of participation before.

Thoughts (be gentle, I'm tired ;) .)

I don't know, but I downloaded the universe files for it and looked over the roster, and could be tempted to give a fan persepective on how the team is doing. I'm no wordsmith tho.

Coffee Warlord
09-18-2004, 02:34 PM
The more folks adding flavor to the dynasty, the better. I'd love to see a bunch of reporters and shit covering/ripping on/applauding the Wolfpack!

CraigSca
09-19-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm going to ask the coordinators to have a write-up of their final thoughts by Wednesday. Recruiters can then assess the coordinator's recommendations and then make their own assessments by Thursday. Friday afternoon I will add my own thoughts and then run our first sim. I then plan to sim our first game on Monday afternoon.

Icy
09-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Ok CraigSca, i'll take the LB coach work as Vegas said won't have time for it. I'm working on my inform right now.

MikeVick7
09-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Ok CraigSca, i'll take the LB coach work as Vegas said won't have time for it. I'm working on my inform right now.
Hey Icy, welcome aboard to the defensive side to the ball. It looks like we're set for a 3-4 defense this year. Let me know your thoughts on who you think we should red-shirt and if you have any other input...lemme know your thoughts.

With Vegas Vic...our initial thoughts where to RS Eric Hoke and Levon Poston. If you have different ideas just chime in.

Balldog
09-19-2004, 04:50 PM
#82 Senior Earnest Sweeney - I was asked to evaluate Sweeney as a possible FB candidate. I don't feel he would give us anything there we don't already have. His run blocking doesn't project and his height would make it hard for him to get under the defender's pad level. I recommend allowing Sweeney to finish out his scholarship in the classroom, where he will need extra study time, and possibly on special teams.
27/20/13/23

Moving Sweeney would give us more depth at FB, we currently have a pretty situation at TE where there isn't much drop off after Sweeney. (If we went to the I-formation this season)

Icy
09-19-2004, 06:25 PM
BREACKING COLLEGE NEWS:

After a personal issue for LB coach/scout VegasVick, NCS had to look fast for a replacement. Their recruiting staff members recomended the young assistant coach from the ex NFL Europe Barcelona Dragons. This will make Ivan Carrillo, known as Icy, to be the first ever Spanish staff member at an USA university.
Good luck for him and the Wolfpack!
Here are his words just after signing his contract.

ICY: Well this is a dream for me, after the Barcelona Dragons dissapeard from the NFLE i had to retire from active football and now i have been offered another chance at NCS college to show that we also know about football in Spain. I'll do my best to make the Wolfpack one of the best teams and will compensate my inexperience on college football with hours and hours of hard work and study.

LBs first Inform

Inside Linebackers
Levon Poston
Elegibility: Freshman (4 years remaninig)
Current Estimate: Poor (14)
Future Stimate: Very good (73)
Scholarship: Yes
Notes: He will be a great pass rusher and on zone defense, not ready to play this year, mybe we can redshirt him.
Time Management: 15/28/21/19 as he is a good student lets give more time to weight and films.

Ethan Alexander
Elegibility: Freshman (4 years remaninig)
Current Estimate: Poor (11)
Future Stimate: Very good (51)
Scholarship: No
Notes: He will be a good run stopper and also not bad vs pass and on man-to-man defense. Not ready to play this year.
Time Management: 18/26/20/19 as he is a good student lets give more time to weight and films.

Herman Sanderson
Elegibility: Junior (2 years remaninig)
Current Estimate: Excellent (93)
Future Stimate: Excellent (93)
Notes: Our start ILB, he is amazing at everything (all 100)
Time Management: 21/25/18/19 as he is not so intelligent, let's give him more study time.

Neal Hollins
Elegibility: Senior* (2 years remaninig)
Current Estimate: Good (44)
Future Stimate: Good (51)
Notes: Average guy, not so good on anything.
Time Management: 21/20/17/25 as he needs more time for his girfriend

Outside Linebackers

Steve Durham
Elegibility: Junior (2 years remaninig)
Current Estimate: Very Good (64)
Future Stimate: Very Good (64)
Notes: Great defending the run and also good pass rusher. Very good for special teams (77/98)
Time Management: 17/25/22/19

Lorenzo Roberts
Elegibility: Senior (1 years remaninig)
Current Estimate: Good (52)
Future Stimate: Very Good (65)
Notes: Good pass rusher, not so good against the run.
Time Management: 16/22/20/25 as he needs more time for his girfriend

Thurman Arnswaldt
Current Estimate: Good (58)
Future Stimate: Good (58)
Notes: Great defending the run and also good pass rusher
Time Management: 19/20/19/25 as he needs more time for his girfriend

Markus Perez
Current Estimate: Good (48)
Future Stimate: Good (57)
Notes: Average guy, better vs the run mybe could be used as reserve ILB because his run stopper ability as we will redshirt one of the four ILB.
Time Management: 19/20/19/25 as he needs more time for his girfriend

Erik Hoke
Current Estimate: Fair (34)
Future Stimate: Very Good (61)
Notes: Not bad OLB that ha still room to progress, i would redshirt him as he will explode next year.
Time Management: 15/22/19/25 as he is so intelligent and needs more time for his girfriend

Darryl Staggs
Elegibility: Sophomore (3 years remaninig)
Current Estimate: Poor (17)
Future Stimate: Very Good (68)
Scholarship: No
Notes: Not usefull for first team football, bad student and not so popular, he can be cut if needed.
Time Management: 26/16/16/25 as he is so stupid and also has a girfriend.

I agree about redshirting Erik Hoke and Levon Poston as both have room to improve.

If we redshirt Levon Poston we will have only 3 ILB when we will play 3-4 defense, so we could use Markus Perez as reserve ILB as he is good vs the run.

About Darryl Staggs, he is not usefull for anything and also he is a bad student, he could be cut if needed as he won't play this year.

About recruits for next year, we need two OLBs as three of our OLB will graduate this year and the other two will be seniors next year. At ILB position we are more covered for future years as two of our 4 ILB are freshmen and we are also redshirting one of them. I'll take a look at the posible recruits this week too to help the recruiters.

cthomer5000
09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
I'm home for abouit 5 minutes, then I'll be useless to everyone until about 7pm tomorrow. Here's some very brief writeups I did about some in-state recruits:

K Dale Garrett amazing in-state kicker, academic genuis
T carlton Grevan good prospect from bad high school. solid academics. finesse
T Bo Blackwell mauler, solid prospect with great academics. PRIORITY
FB Austin Kasay hard runnder with suspect academics and attitude. would be ready to play
K Leonard Brown poor academics and athletics, pass
T Jared Cecava finesse, fair prosepect
TE Corey Adams good/good, a pass catcher. worth pursuing
K Michael Peterson very solid kicker as well, definitely look into him
WR Brant Long marginal academics, decent otherwise. cannot return kicks.

Huckleberry
09-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Moving Sweeney would give us more depth at FB, we currently have a pretty situation at TE where there isn't much drop off after Sweeney. (If we went to the I-formation this season)

I'm not attached to him or anything. I guess he would still be able to do the same things at FB as TE (classroom and special teams). I have no objections to his being moved, I just wanted to give my take on it. As I said, Gilman would be taking his snaps anyway.

MikeVick7
09-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Kind of a slow Monday in here. I just wanted to reassure everyone that the program is alive and well.

From what I saw from the head coach this weekend...defensive staff...please have your time management recommendations in to me by Tuesday. I have to submit a full report to the head cheese on Wednesday and I think that's the only thing that we're lacking. Icy...I have your's...so everything is cool on your end. I also agree with the red-shirts and I like your suggestion about moving Perez over as a reserve ILB. I think that will help us out a lot.

bigmike75
09-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Hey Guys,

LONG time reader, first time poster, wondering if you still got an opening for special teams coach. I've got some personal interest vested in it being from the Raleigh area, and we will probably draw some recruits from my old highschool, Millbrook. If you've got an opening, give a rookie a chance!!

cthomer5000
09-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Unless I overlooked it, I still have not seen a decision about:

1. What offensive formation we are running this year
2. What offensive formation we expect to run starting next year until the end of time.

Balldog
09-20-2004, 08:39 PM
I'd like to start using the I-formation now, I don't think our QB situation is really adequate enough to run the Trips.

CraigSca
09-20-2004, 09:20 PM
I agree with our offensive coordinator. I'd like to move to the I-formation for now and for the forseeable future.

Buzzbee
09-20-2004, 09:28 PM
From the desk of Buzzbee:

SCOUTING REPORT - Ohio

In a nutshell, Ohio sucks.

Strengths: Two players rated over 40 (good). TE Arnold Rivers and DE Leon Samuel. The areas where they suck the least are WR and TE on the offensive side. No worries though. Their QB's are rated 9, 8, 5, and 5. On the defensive side ILB and CB seem to be the areas of least suckitude.

Weaknesses: Pick a card any card. Was it the King of Suck? Areas of particular suckiness are QB, G, and DT. Most of their starters are rated only Fair. Our 3rd string should hang with their starters, if not beat them handily.

Recommendations: Focus on what we do best and don't worry about what they do best. They don't do anything best, except suck.

Key Stats:
First game of season. No stats to go by.

NOTE: My scouting reports will be more in depth for future opponents. I haven't had much time, and without any games to go off of, there isn't really too much to scout. Also, if there is particular information that the OC or DC (or anyone else for that matter) wants, let me know and I will oblige. Furthermore, if there is any particular way you would like me to format my scouting reports, let me know and I'll do my best to satisfy your request.

CraigSca
09-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Buzz,

Thanks for the report. I think for the pre-game talk I'll write "SUCK" on the chalkboard :D.

Question for you - do you want me to turn on boxscores for ALL teams so you can look at the individual games of our opponents, or, is looking at their stats enough? My only concern is the size of the ZIP file getting too big with all the boxscores, but I want you to be able to do your job :).

CraigSca
09-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey Guys,

LONG time reader, first time poster, wondering if you still got an opening for special teams coach. I've got some personal interest vested in it being from the Raleigh area, and we will probably draw some recruits from my old highschool, Millbrook. If you've got an opening, give a rookie a chance!!

Mike, I can put you on the waiting list, but there were a few others who chimed in before you. You never know, however, when a spot is going to open up.

MikeVick7
09-20-2004, 09:43 PM
I enjoyed the "suckiness" of the scouting report...lol. No really it gave me a good chuckle and I'll just have to keep my defense from "sucking" it up.

Buzzbee
09-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Buzz,

Thanks for the report. I think for the pre-game talk I'll write "SUCK" on the chalkboard :D.

Question for you - do you want me to turn on boxscores for ALL teams so you can look at the individual games of our opponents, or, is looking at their stats enough? My only concern is the size of the ZIP file getting too big with all the boxscores, but I want you to be able to do your job :).

Going from FOF2k4 to TCY I'm going to have to get acclimated to what info is available. Ideally it would be nice to have boxscores, but realistically, I don't think it is necessary. Between the individual player ratings, the team summary and team statistics, I should be able to piece together a decent picture of what we are facing.

Balldog
09-21-2004, 06:53 AM
OFFENSIVE DEPTH CHART
Week 1 vs Ohio

(R) - Indicates Redshirt

Move TE Earnest Sweeney to FB.

QB
Spragan, Kenny 3 QB Jr 32 61
Amaya, Justin 17 QB Sr 43 43
(R)Dudzik, Arnold 13 QB Jr 47 62
(R)Harper, Leslie 12 QB Fr 6 39

RB
Macri, Orlando 46 RB So 48 50
Linquist, Gino 21 RB Sr 44 44
Ramirez, Billy Joe 45 RB So* 38 65
Sheldon, Roosevelt 28 RB* So* 28 51
(R)Low, Robert 37 RB So 40 45
(R)Pryor, Al 22 RB Sr 39 68

FB
Dodge, Pete 48 FB Sr 48 62
Sweeney, Earnest 82 TE Sr 37 37
Hickman, Clyde 49 FB So* 28 60
(R)Withers, Adam 34 FB Sr 47 55

WR
Brodie, Trent 6 WR Jr 65 65
Wertz, Kenneth 87 WR Jr 59 59
Clark, Donald 80 WR Jr 52 97
Forbes, Earl 84 WR So 34 72
Harmon, Julio 88 WR So 18 62
(R)Givens, Rodney 1 WR Jr 57 100
(R)Washington, Butch 81 WR Jr 55 55

TE
Mackie, Jack 94 TE Sr 55 55
Gilman, Kevin 99 TE Fr 24 49
Rivers, Rob 83 TE Fr 23 32
(R)Stevenson, Calvin 86 TE Sr 45 70

OL
Still waiting for Ravenshawk to chime in.

CraigSca
09-21-2004, 08:00 AM
Balldog,

Question - do we really want to RS QB Leslie Harper? I'll defer to you, but he looks like one of those walkon/troublemaker/never lives up to his potential kind of guys. Let me know what you think, but he looks like a guy we may want to eventually cut, or at least run through his 4 years as quickly as possible.

Balldog
09-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Balldog,

Question - do we really want to RS QB Leslie Harper? I'll defer to you, but he looks like one of those walkon/troublemaker/never lives up to his potential kind of guys. Let me know what you think, but he looks like a guy we may want to eventually cut, or at least run through his 4 years as quickly as possible.

I was basing that decision on CW's recommendation, if you feel otherwise that is fine by me. I have no objection to taking the redshirt from him.

CraigSca
09-21-2004, 08:19 AM
CW, what do you think about Lee Harper? It's my understanding he was also mouthing off to a professor last week.

QuikSand
09-21-2004, 08:23 AM
I have taken a look at the recruiting class at DT -- and I'm at a loss to identify a real "prime target" who fits all our needs and is at all cllose to NC. I'll prepare some more detailed comments ... but we might not have a suitable guy to go at or near the top of our recruitin target list there, despite our intentions to do so.

Coffee Warlord
09-21-2004, 10:36 AM
I still wonder if he wouldn't develop into a studly QB, but you're right
about the fact that he's a cancer. ('Course, all of our quarterbacks
are scholastic disasters waiting to happen.) I can go either way on this
case.

If you drop the redshirt on him, though, we'll need to get a good freshman
QB into our system rapidly. I've always been a big fan of starting a solid
redshirt + 4 year quarterback and letting him develop on the field, and if
we can nab one of the guys I've got earmarked this year, I'll sleep easier.

CraigSca
09-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Give me your gut feeling. Despite the extra coaching we'll need to expend on him to keep him in line, do you think he's worth trying to develop? I'm willing to give it a shot if you think he'll pan out.

Coffee Warlord
09-21-2004, 02:17 PM
I'd like to give him a season to see if he shows any development going into next year. He looks good enough to me to give him a year, preferably redshirted, but if you don't want to redshirt him, try and get him a couple junk time snaps.

If he shows no development, or his potentials drop, then we write him off. But as our QB's are all cancerous wretches, so I don't like the idea of axing him for that reason alone.

All of this changes if we nab a good high school prospect, I might add. :) But I'd like to work with him this season and see how he turns out. Worth a gamble.

QuikSand
09-21-2004, 03:14 PM
My general feeling at QB is, unless it's a really top priority, that it's a great position to come back to after several weeks of recruitinng, and see who is "falling through the cracks." I frequently have found starting caliber guys thet way, without even pursuing them in the first few weeks of recruiting.

Just FWIW, in general.

CraigSca
09-21-2004, 03:18 PM
It's a shame we don't get Ohio in week 2 or something. That way we could give Lee some junk snaps early on. I'm a little concerned about doing that in our first game ever, however.

Coffee Warlord
09-21-2004, 03:28 PM
I still say redshirt him and the other guy I recommended redshirting in my long report, get a walk on 3rd stringer, and see what happens. Our walk on that's generated can't be any more of a dufus than the 4 guys we already got, anyway.

Raven Hawk
09-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Sorry about the delay. I'll have the OL up tonight. Normally, I won't have this kind of delay. Just had a busy weekend and all.

Raven Hawk
09-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Starters:

LT - Newt Lentzner: Newt is our best tackle at the moment. Although his current skills would make you believe that he is a RT, we need him to play at LT this season and hold down the fort on that corner. Hopefully this will help him develop his Pass Blocking skills a little more and make him a better all-around tackle. With a 100 endurance, he will probably get 90% of the snaps. Newt has three years of eligibility left. Newt has adequate smarts to get him through college with a normal study regimen.

LG - Nathan Matthews: Nathan is not our best guard, nor is he our best pass blocker, however, his skills complement Newt quite well. Hopefully, Nathan can help pick up the DL stunts that will perplex Newt next year. Also with a 100 endurance he'll be playing 90% of the snaps, next to Lentzner. Nathan has two years of eligibility, so hopefully he will hold down this position for until we can find a suitable replacement. Nathan Matthews should be served well with a normal study regimen.

C - Ricky Bednarsh: I have a hard time making this call. In training camp our two centers look comparable. Hein may actually be better, but we can redshirt Heiny to keep him around for an extra year if need be. Considering both players are comparable, I'm going with my gut and starting Ricky, we'll want to redshirt Heiny and grab a walk on to backup Ricky for this season. Ricky also has a 100 in endurance, so we'll see him staying in for 90% of the plays as well. Ricky has good smarts, but he isn't that motivated. We'll apply a normal study regimen for now, but we'll keep a close eye to see if he needs any help.

RG - Cedric Wayne: Without a doubt, Cedric is a great offensive lineman. I'm putting him on the right side because he is balanced and he can help out our RT who will need a lot of help this season. Hopefully Cedric will be able to teach some of the others what it takes to be a lineman before he enters the professional draft next season. With a slightly lower endurance we'll be looking to sub him out every now and again to catch a breather look for Cedric to play about 80% of the plays. Cedric is a bright bulb. Since it is his senior year, we can probably afford him a little extra time to spend with his girlfriend, Jean.

RT - Kevin Miller: This was another hard decision. Hugh Frederick looks like has a good future. We just need to make sure that he gets the fundamentals down. Kevin on the other hand has shown us some ability beyond pure potential in practice. For that, Kevin Miller earns the start. However, I want to see Hugh subbing in regularly to get a taste of the game. I'd like to divide the plays 70/30 with Miller getting the heavier load. In addition, Kevin Miller has some off-field smarts. We can probably take away some of his study time so that he can studu the play book a little more.

Backups:

C - Albert Hein (Redshirt): I hate putting this kid on the bench, but for the future of the school, I'm going to do it. Albert may be a little displeased with the decision. If Bednarsh sustains any meaningful injuries, we'll rip the redshirt off of Hein and put him in. Heiny knows the game. I've talked to him, and although he's not happy with my decision, he has decided to do what's best for the team. Not to mention, Albert needs to spend a little more time reading his comic books for his Comic Book Reading 101.

G - Glenn Buckner: This is one of those guys that scares me. He is dumb as rocks, but he thinks he can take the accelerated classes. Glenn will turn into an average guard, but let's not build our hopes and dreams on him. Truth is, this kid will need to hit the books a little harder as well. Buckner could serve as backup to the center position in a pinch.

G - Adrian Everett: Has a tight schedule this season with his Pokemon Training I class. Adrian is a walk on that has a future of being a backup guard in college and no career in the pros. No high hopes here. This guy's greatest talent is his ability to fog a mirror. Give him a little extra study time to make up for his lack of aspiration.

G - Kim Garay (Redshirt): Kim could have a good future if he applies himself. His skills are still very raw, but he could pan out to become a serviceable guard. Like, Glenn Buckner, Kim wants to soar with the eagles, even though he has the intelligence of a Dodo. Kim needs some extra book time this season and I'd like to see him study the playbook a little more to see if he can't grasp our system.

T - Hugh Frederick: Huey has star potential, but its only that, potential. He has three years to develop into a starter before his college career ends. Huey needs to be rotated in at RT as often as possible. I'd like to see if he can win the job away from Kevin Miller during the season. Hugh should serve as primary backup for both Guard positions, so he can spell Newt if he should need it. Hugh may need to hit the books a little harder as well. We've got a whole crop of players who think that they are smarter than they actually are.

T - Bobby Morton: Bobby is a walk-on that could have a career as a backup for our team. However, we can't tell if he will live up to that lofty potential. One might want to redshirt him, however, I don't think that we should. Bobby can act as the backup center if we don't get a walk-on at that position to fill in while Heiny is redshirting. Another reason that I don't want this kid to redshirt is that he is dumb and lacks any motivation. He'll need to hit the books hard. Let's graduate him as soon as possible.

-------------

With all of this said, if we have decided that we are playing for the future at the cost of the 2004 season, I would want to start Frederick over Miller.

Raven Hawk
09-22-2004, 12:01 AM
G Mack Moorthy
rank by position (state/national): 1/36
overall rank: 10/336
scout evaluation: 72 of 100
style: mauler (run blocking strength, very low consistency)
thoughts: Hailing from Cary, NC just 7 miles away, Moorthy is solid, red graded player. I'd expect we'll see a distinctly strong run-blocker, and a so-so pass protecter given his strengths and consistency. He come from a solid high school program (65 preperation).
academics: 2.90, 975 from a high school of dubious quality (20) could be a red flag. we may end up wasting a fair amount of time keeping him on the field
final thought: may be a bit out of our league and comes with minor academic concerns

G Shane Sanderson
rank by position: 2/61
overall rank: 19/529
evaluation: 67 of 100
style: finesse (pass blocking strength, very low consistency)
thoughts: 83 miles away, meaning some of our closer rivals may take away our "proximity" strength. Comes from a 'good' high school program (44), so he likely won't be starting as a true freshman. coded blue
academics: 2.84, 1077 from a very good (61) high school. should not be an academic concern
final thought: not likely to be a freshman starter, but looks to be worth pursuing. he shouldn't need an extra academic time, so he can focus on weights and film. Since we need impact and depth, we should at least give him a phone call.

Mack Moorthy would most certainly get a shot at the starting Guard position if we were to bring him on board. Our vacant spot at Guard will be RG, which I tend to favor a better run blocker if I can't get a balanced player.

Shane Sanderson would definitly need some time to develop as a starter. I'd like to give him a phone call to see what he has to say. I like both of these prospects.

T Carlton Grevan good prospect from bad high school. solid academics. finesse
T Bo Blackwell mauler, solid prospect with great academics. PRIORITY
T Jared Cecava finesse, fair prosepect
I'd take any one of these players. Players at Tackle will have a season or two to develop before they break the starting line up.

I'd also like to give a call to Center - Orlando Force in SC. I've heard good things from his HS Coach.

Balldog
09-22-2004, 07:02 AM
OFFENSIVE GAME PLAN VS. OHIO - WEEK 1
Official

Depth Chart - QB / RB / RCV
PT
QB1 Spragan, Kenny 6
QB2 Amaya, Justin
QB3 Walk-on

FB1 Dodge, Pete 4
FB2 Sweeney, Earnest
FB3 Hickman, Clyde

FL Brodie, Trent 3
SE Wertz, Kenneth 3
WR Clark, Donald
WR Forbes, Earl
WR Harmon, Julio

TE1 Mackie, Jack 5
TE2 Gilman, Kevin
TE3 Rivers, Rob

RB1 Macri, Orlando 1
RB2 Linquist, Gino
RB3 Ramirez, BJ
3rd Macri, Orlando

Depth Chart - OL / Kicking
PT
LT Lentzner, Newt 6
LG Matthews, Nathan 5
C Bednarsh, Ricky 6
RG Wayne, Cedric 4
RT Miller, Kevin 3
B T Frederick, Hugh
B T Morton, Bobby
B G Buckner, Glenn
B G Everett, Adrian
B C Walk-on

OFFENSIVE GAMEPLAN

Running percentage in normal situations

1-2 3-7 8-10 11+
1st Dwn 57 45 48 44
2nd Dwn 67 51 60 38
3rd Dwn 58 23 18 19
4th Dwn 59 0 0 0

Tendencies

Willingness to go for it on 4th Dwn: 50%
Willingness to run the ball inside the opponent's 20: 65%

Run direction by percentage

LE LT LG C RG RT RE
10 16 19 20 19 8 8

Pass distance attempt by percentage in normal situations

Scr 1-10 11-20 21-30 31+
12 55 20 8 5

Run Details

Finesse runs as a percentage of running plays

1-2 3-7 8-10 11+
1st Dwn 8 11 6 0
2nd Dwn 4 2 8 0
3rd Dwn 8 9 0 0
4th Dwn 0 0 0 0

Tendencies

Use of option running plays: 0%

Percentage of overall carries by position

RB FB QB WB
95 5 0 0

CraigSca
09-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Excellent job, guys. The athletic department has just approved the funds for a "Lentzner-Matthews-Bednarsh-Wayne-Miller" poster, as well as a poster featuring our all-everything linebacker, Herman Sanderson. We just have to think of a headline or nickname for the posters.

Remember, our first recruiting trip is set for 12pm est Friday morning, and our game against Ohio is set for 12pm est on Monday. Wahoo!

Raven Hawk
09-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Balldog,

I completely agree with getting the backups a little extra playing time against Ohio. Good job.

CraigSca,

As for the poster marketing for the OL, I'd go with the caption "Shock & Awe" :)

MJ4H
09-22-2004, 09:58 AM
I know this is not the first one of these "groupthinks," so I'm wondering HOW DID I MISS THIS? How freakin cool. I'll be reading with interest.

MikeVick7
09-22-2004, 11:43 AM
I'll be posting the tenative defensive gameplan tonight (or it could be from work if I get some time later today) as well as the initial time management recommendations and red-shirting.

MikeVick7
09-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Dola

as well as a poster featuring our all-everything linebacker, Herman Sanderson. We just have to think of a headline or nickname for the posters.

Is "The Sandman" too cliche? It's the first one that came to my head.

Raven Hawk
09-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Is "The Sandman" too cliche? It's the first one that came to my head.
Yes, but that is what makes it a good nickname. ;)

cthomer5000
09-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I have no game access until tomorrow night. T Bo Blackwell is my top priority, with the G Moorthy behind. I'll give a lot more info tomorrow night, but I want that in there in case the visits/calls are done before I have game acess again.

MikeVick7
09-22-2004, 06:36 PM
CraigSca...here's the initial Time Management suggestions for the defense. I guess I saw somewhere that we're using 19 for practice time??? If this is not correct...let me know and I can make the proper adjustments.

Quicksand and Tredwell - I just posted some numbers using TCY Helper. If you have your own ideas...please post them and I will definitely make the adjustments.

Tenative Gameplan for Ohio to follow...

Tentative Time Management

Defensive Line Status Pos Pract Study Weights Film Relax
Schmaltz, C.J. RE 19 20 26 16 19
Finch, Blaine LE 19 23 21 12 25
Carter, Timothy DE3* 19 30 20 12 19
Beethoven, Mario DE4 19 19 27 16 19
Davis, Leslie OLB4* 19 23 25 14 19
Davidson, Wayne DE 19 28 21 13 19

Finley, David DT 19 29 18 9 25
Branch, Myron DT2* 19 27 23 12 19
Lynnwood, Ian DT3* 19 29 22 11 19
Alston, Harold DT4* 19 23 26 13 19
Singh, Grant RS DT* 19 14 30 18 19

Linebackers Status Pos Pract Study Weights Film Relax
Sanderson, Herman SILB 19 21 24 17 19
Hollins, Neal WILB 19 21 19 16 25
Alexander, Ethan ILB3* 19 18 25 19 19
Poston, Levon RS ILB 19 15 27 20 19

Durham, Steve SOLB 19 17 24 21 19
Arnswaldt, Thurman WOLB 19 19 19 18 25
Roberts, Lorenzo OLB3 19 16 21 19 25
Perez, Marcus ILB4 19 19 19 18 25
Staggs, Darryl OLB* 19 26 15 15 25
Hoke, Erik RS OLB 19 15 21 18 25

Defensive Backs Status Pos Pract Study Weights Film Relax
Spaulding, Ralph CB1 19 22 13 21 25
Westbrook, Henry CB2 19 18 15 23 25
Montgomery, Jorge CB3* 19 20 17 25 19
McKenzie, A.J. CB4* 19 24 15 23 19
McNeil, Shane RS CB 19 29 11 16 25

Brooks, O.J. SS 19 25 14 17 25
Flynn, Bubba FS 19 20 19 23 19
Murphy, Roy S3 19 22 18 22 19
Cortez, Jessie S4* 19 31 11 14 25

MikeVick7
09-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Dola
And here is the much anticipated gameplan for our opening game vs the Bobcats. Since our game isn't gonna be until Monday...input is welcome.

Tentative Defensive Gameplan

Primary Formation: 3-4

Depth Chart

Defensive Line - (Playing Time)
LE - Blaine Finch (2)
RE - CJ Schmaltz (4)
DE3 - Timothy Carter
DE4 - Mario Beethoven

NT - David Finley (3)
DT2 - Myron Branch (2)
DT3 - Ian Lynnwood
DT4 - Harold Alston

Linebackers
SILB - Herman Sanderson (5)
WILB - Neal Hollins (5)
ILB3 - Ethan Alexander
ILB4 - Marcus Perez

SOLB - Steve Durham (4)
WOLB - Thurman Arnswaldt (3)
OLB3 - Lorenzo Roberts
OLB4 - Leslie Davis

*Orient LB by Weak/Strong

Defensive Backs
CB1 - Ralph Spaulding (5)
CB2 - Henry Westbrook (3)
CB3 - Jorge Montgomery
CB4 - AJ McKenzie
CB5 - Jessie Cortez

SS - OJ Brooks (3)
FS - Bubba Flynn (3)
S3 - Roy Murphy
S4 - Jessie Cortez

Orient CB by placing top CB against top WR
Double Cover top WR - 30
Double Cover 2nd best WR - 30

Run Expectation
First Down - (84/82/68/51)
Second Down - (84/75/54/47)
Third Down - (85/35/25/30)
Fourth Down - (87/34/20/32)

Tendencies
Goal Line - 50
Nickel Package - 50
Tendency to blitz - 60
Dime Package - 50
Prevent Package - 30
Blitz multiple players - 60

Blitz percentage by position
WOLB - 19
WILB - 10
SILB - 25
SOLB - 19
CB1 - 7
CB2 - 4
SS - 10
FS - 6

Pass Coverage in normal situations
Man to Man - 40
Bump & Run - 20
2-Deep Zone - 18
3-Deep Zone - 12
4-Deep Zone - 10

vex
09-22-2004, 06:53 PM
As the new special teams coach, I am requesting that we give out two scholarships a year for the punters. For the kickers, we'll scale things back and only take one every other year. I would also like two deep snappers on scholarship. That's it. Thank you.

Coffee Warlord
09-22-2004, 08:06 PM
As QB coach, I request we take all the scholarships from the punters and deep snappers, and give them to the cheerleaders.

QuikSand
09-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Quicksand (sic) and Tredwell - I just posted some numbers using TCY Helper. If you have your own ideas...please post them and I will definitely make the adjustments.

I have no adjustments to them -- but it's an area I haven't ever really spent much time with, so if someone has geenral advice to the contrary, I'm very open.

vex
09-22-2004, 08:26 PM
As QB coach, I request we take all the scholarships from the punters and deep snappers, and give them to the cheerleaders.
QBs, cheerleaders. What's the difference anyways.

Balldog
09-23-2004, 06:33 AM
See above post (http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/showpost.php?p=588456&postcount=213) for finalized offensive gameplan.

QuikSand
09-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Well, as far as rectuiting targets go -- I can't find a truly top-shelf DT to single out.

But there is a defensive end who probably makes sense as a possible "top shelf" target. DE Chris Ansell is a complete monster -- very well-prepared, ready-to-play, very smart, and is actually from nearby northern SC (under 200 miles from us). Our scout rates him an 81/100, but with his preparedness (99 ath, 96 acad) he is rated as the #2 overall prospect in the country. He would be a huge signing.

I would advocate getting a call or visit to him in week one -- get our name on the list, and see what we can find out. Particularly if he values staying close to home, we might have a shot with him.

Other recruiting targets:

DE Richard Feliciano, TX - good run stopper, should have bulk to switch to DT
DT Bo Connolly, MI - best pure DT in class, would be a great fit for our needs
DT Joel Tucker, GA - nearby and run-inclined - might need a redshirt year to be ready
DT Casey Batista, NJ - run-stopper, pretty smart - decent target
DE Ronnie Bauer, TX - same comments, not quite as strong a scout report

I would hope that we might be able to include two or three of these guys in our first round of recruit contacts, and maybe all six by the second week. With knowledge of their preferences, we ought to have a sense of who we'd have a realistic shot of landing.

WSUCougar
09-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the info, Quik. If any other defensive coaches have specific input like this, please post it or PM it to me ASAP.

Questions for the Head Coach: how do you want the recruiting to work? Are we (the recruiting coordinators) "empowered" to make our own decisions, or just recommendations? Do you want to target black and/or red guys, or is that up to us? Any general mandates from on high? ;)

CraigSca
09-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Really, I'm looking for recommendations that I reserve the right to change slightly, but it's my intent to go with what my staff says. Although I play and like TCY a lot, I've never had the patience to deal with certain parts of the game (time managment being the biggest one).

I'm willing to go after red/black guys as well. I figure we can give it a shot the first week and hear what the recruit has to say. Based on the initial contact we can make a better judgment as to whether we're likely to pursue them or not. Mind you, I don't want to go for ALL blacks/reds - I think we need to be realistic as well. A healthy mix is what I'm looking for, but I'm always game to "hit the jackpot" with a really good recruit.

Raven Hawk
09-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Remember, our first recruiting trip is set for 12pm est Friday morning, and our game against Ohio is set for 12pm est on Monday. Wahoo!
Any news on the recruiting front?

CraigSca
09-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Ok...here's the rundown of week #1!

First, I did not input time management numbers for quarterbacks, runningbacks and special teams because I couldn't find them anywhere. If I overlooked them, I apologize.

On the recruiting front, I basically took everyone's recommendations and did the best I can to balance them. I concentrated on the offensive line, defensive line as well as the cornerback we mentioned in this thread. In the future, if our recruiting coordinators could send me a list of guys they'd like to look at, along with suggested phone/visits, that would be great.

I changed the offense to an I-formation and the defense to a 3-4. I DID NOT put the gameplans in yet - I was in the middle of doing this and it failed because of a redshirt that would require a "new" walkon for the depth chart. The whole thing failed, so I decided to "bag" the gameplan until Monday.

Please doublecheck to make sure I input your recommendations. I did my best to get them all in, but I want to make sure I don't accidentally forget something.

Here's our first round of contacts on the recruiting front. BTW, you all have very high aspirations :) - lots of top 100 recruits :D

Position Name Rank By Position Phone/Visit Initial Reaction Coaches Impression Decision Criteria Visiting
CB Wade Copperfield 180 12 1/1 a little surprised Better than scouted Prest*/Dist
WR Antoine O'Donnell 63 6 1/0 delighted, plase about major, didn't like OC Acad*/Dist
TE Jimmy Cunningham 115 5 1/0 surprised, pleased about his major Acad*/Prest
T Bo Blackwell 272 40 1/1 a little surprised, pleased about major, very happy to see teammate on roster Better than scouted Acad*/Prest
T Carlton Grevan 383 59 1/0 mildly pleased, pleased about major Acad/Dist
G Shane Sanderson 529 61 1/0 a little surprised, didn't like OC Prest*/Dist
G Mack Moorthy 336 36 1/0 surprised, extremely excited about proximity, happy to see teammate, didn't like OC Dist/Acad
DE Chris Ansell 2 1 1/1 surprised, pleased about his major, didn't like DC at all quite a bit better than scouted Acad/Prest
DE Richard Feliciano 8 3 1/1 surprised, pleased about his major, didn't like DC very much Better than scouted Acad/Prest
DT Bo Connolly 43 1 1/1 surprised, pleased about his major a little worse than scouted Acad*/Dest

EDIT: New files are available directly from my signature.

EDIT: Sigh, you have to love the cut and paste from Excel. Anyone have an idea on how to fix the awful formatting?

Coffee Warlord
09-24-2004, 06:23 PM
There wasn't any time management stuff for my QB's. I've always let the computer handle it personally, since it's never been something I'm fond of. I defer to the coordinator or the coach's decision, as I have zero experience in knowing what's reasonable for 'em. :)

Raven Hawk
09-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Balldog,

What did you say to our OL recruits? They don't like you. :)

Coffee Warlord
09-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Hell, no one likes our coordinators!

CraigSca
09-24-2004, 06:35 PM
A couple more things...

- do we want to be able to ask recruits to visit us upon initial contact?

- let me know who we wish to re-visit/offer scholarships to based on our initial contacts. It looks to me that Mach Moorthy may be a "sure thing". That's good news. (I'll be leaning heavily on recruit coordinators decisions here - please get input from the position coaches and offensive/defensive coordinators).

-CW - I'm the same way - I HATE the time management, so I usually let it just fly. I'm so glad our position coaches are taking an active interest in this aspect, as I think it give us an advantage.

cthomer5000
09-24-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm very happy about T Bo Blackwell, it looks like we have every bit of positve momentum working there. Right now he is my #1 priority in offensive recruiting, despite the fact that he is not our #1 need. He just seems like the perfect blend of talent and willingness to actually play for us.

Can't wait to look at the game files tomorrow and suggest a course of action for Week 2.

edit: absolutely ask him to visit us next week.

vex
09-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Special Teams

Punters

*Grant McCarthy - True Junior

Grant is rated at 44/57 and if it wasn't for our team being horrible at developing kickers, he would easily reach his potential. He'll be a 2 year starter for us, provided he can stay eligible with his (18) aspiration and (41) intelligence scores. He went to an excellent HS in Columbia(Irmo), South Carolina, but this season there are no prospects at Irmo High.

Recommended Time Management: Study Hall: 27, Weight Training: 15, Football Study: 14, Relaxation: 25

Pat Hilton - True Freshman

Pat is rated at 25/58 and will be a career backup for the Wolfpack. The bright side is that he's a pretty solid student, so we won't have to worry about him at all. Pat's old HS is Princeton, NC, but there isn't a recruit from there this year.

Recommended Time Managment: Study Hall: 30, Weight Training: 16, Football Study: 16, Relaxation: 19

#Winston Seau - True Freshman

Winston has an opportunity to be a very solid kicker for us in a couple of years as he is rated 20/75. He's a near genius in regards to his intelligence (99), but he's a slacker and his aspiration is a low (19). An interesting note with Mr. Seau is that while he is our punter of the future, he isn't on scholarship at the moment, so we'll need to get one to him in the future before we fill up.

Recommended Time Managment: Study Hall: 22, Weight Training: 18, Football Study: 16, Relaxation: 25

Kickers

*Vincent Allen - True Freshman

Vincent has the potential to become an All-American as he is rated 51/97. Vincent will be starting this season, which should put him in a dogfight with Bolton for the starting spot next season. Vincent comes from Woodstock(Etowah), Georgia, where as is the case with every special teams player, there are no prospects this year. Vincent is a very solid Business Major who we should have no problems with.

Recommended Time Management: Study Hall: 28, Weight Training: 18, Football Study: 16, Relaxation: 19.

#Martin Bolton - True Senior

Martin is rated 73/91. Normally, this would make him a sure fire starter, but I want to redshirt Bolton and save him for next season when our team may not be quite as good and may require more FGs. If you look at both of the kickers attributes, it's really not that far of a stretch to play Allen, the true freshman. Bolton came all the way from McFarland, California, where there are no prospects this year. Bolton is also a solid student.

Recommended Time Management: Study Hall: 24, Weight Training: 16, Football Study: 16, Relaxation: 25

Key
* Starter
# Redshirt

Punt Return

#1 - Kenneth Wertz WR (JR)
#2 - Donald Clark WR (JR)
Alt. #1 - Ralph Spaulding CB (SR)
Alt. #2 - Bubba Flynn S (JR)
Alt. #3 - A.J. McKenzie CB (SO)

Kick Return

#1 - Ralph Spaulding CB (SR)
#2 - Trent Brodie WR (JR)
Alt. #1 - O.J. Brooks S (SR)
Alt. #2 - Kenneth Wertz WR (JR)
Alt. #3 - Gino Linquist RB (SR)

CraigSca
09-25-2004, 03:01 AM
Vex, did you have better success with week 2's files? I'm assuming you may have since you were able to do a scouting report on our special teams. If not, I'll see what I can do about making you an .exe file.

vex
09-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I got it. I just had to save it instead of opening it.

EDIT: And I believe Vincent Allen may be a primadonna kicker, I couldn't get his format off of bold:)

vex
09-25-2004, 10:24 AM
In regards to kicker and punter recruiting, I think that we shouldn't bother going after a kicker since we'll have two next year with Bolton redshirting and Allen only being a true freshman. If you all decide we should go after a kicker, I have about 4-5 targets in mind.

With punters, we're stacked, so no need to even look into this.

As far as recruits we're already in on, I don't really care for Antoine O'Donnell with his biggest weakness being kick returns along with his ratings consistency being "average".

With players we're currently not recruiting, CB Edward Fleming from Concord, NC seems like a good target as he is 111 miles away from campus, rated 64, athletic prep is 75, academic prep is 69, his strength is punt returning, his his ratings consistency is "low", so that's definite plus. Also, our local scout is "excellent" with DBs, so I really think we should check out Fleming.

I know I'm not the DB scout or anything, but I think we should check out CB Darren Miner from Rockhill(Northwestern), SC. He's rated 75, he's the 156th best player in the country overall, great grades, good attitude, good ath. prep (61) and academic prep. (71). And this guy actually has nothing to do with special teams:)

Another punt returner I'd like us to look at is CB Johnny Jolly from Hickory(Saint Stephens), NC. He's rated 67, great grades, good attitude, and good ath. prep.(47)

vex
09-25-2004, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=CraigSca]

- let me know who we wish to re-visit/offer scholarships to based on our initial contacts. It looks to me that Mach Moorthy may be a "sure thing". That's good news. (I'll be leaning heavily on recruit coordinators decisions here - please get input from the position coaches and offensive/defensive coordinators).
QUOTE]

I think we should go ahead and offer and request visits for Ansell, Blackwell and Feliciano. Copperfield looks to be out of our league, we'll just have to reevaluate him later.

WSUCougar
09-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Guys, in the best interest of the team, I think I'm going to bow out. My heart wants to participate but my available time is limited and I don't want to drag the team effort down with sporadic participation. Best of luck.

CraigSca
09-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Understood, WSU. I think a groupthink in TCY is a lot more involved than an FOF one, though admittedly that is only conjecture on my part. I think this pace will get easier as we move along - there's a lot to cover early in the season especially when we're trying to work through different offenses/defenses and directions of the program.

Again, thanks for the honesty, WSU, and sorry there's not enough time left over in RL to participate.

Vexroid, you're now moved from special teams coach to co-recruiting coordinator. I also think that opens up a spot for mckerney as special teams coach is he wants it.

vex
09-26-2004, 01:26 AM
Did we ever come up with a set number of recruits we want at each position?

I made out a rough plan FWIW:

QB - 1
RB - 0
FB - 1
TE - 1
WR - 0-1
C - 0-1
G - 2
T - 2
P - 0
K - 0
DE - 1
DT - 2
ILB - 1-2
OLB - 2
CB - 2
S - 1

Thoughts?

CraigSca
09-27-2004, 06:35 AM
The only thing we really clarified was that we really need to make CB, G and DT a priority. This is a good list, Vex, thanks.

We have our first game in about 4.5 hours - any recruiting coordinator want to let me know what recruits we should go after/which ones we should visit again?

vex
09-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Current Recruits

(Wait)CB Copperfield - Let's wait and see on him. He could be out of our league.

(Phone & Visit) DE Feliciano - Let's go after him.

(Phone & Visit) DE Ansell - Let's go after him as well.

(Wait) DT Connolly - Boston College has us outmatched here.

New Recruits

(Visit & Offer if he's good) - CB Miner, Darren (SC)

(Visit & Offer IHG) - DT Compton, Leonard (IN)

(PHone) - DT Salcido, Melvin (CA)

(PHone) - OLB Fairly, Richard (OH)

(Visit & Offer IHG) - OLB Richardson, Sammie (VA)

(Visit & Offer) - ILB Loomis, Junior (VA)

(Visit & Offer IHG) - S Phillips, Ralph (NY)

(Phone) - CB Gardner, Jake

QuikSand
09-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Wow - I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get in any scholarship offers to any of our top pursuits in the first round. I hope we don't make that mistake again. I don't see any benefit to waiting -- if you're going to contact the top players in the country, don't give a week's edge to your competition in giving an offer.

Just a lowly position guy here, but let's get in an offer on any of the DL we are going to actively pursue. We're already a week behind two other teams for Ansell and Connolly, and one for Feliciano.

I'd think the same logic would apply to other positions as well. (Unless there's a save-the invites strategy that makes sense -- I've never heard of one, but it's possible, I suppose)

vex
09-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Wow - I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get in any scholarship offers to any of our top pursuits in the first round. I hope we don't make that mistake again. I don't see any benefit to waiting -- if you're going to contact the top players in the country, don't give a week's edge to your competition in giving an offer.

Just a lowly position guy here, but let's get in an offer on any of the DL we are going to actively pursue. We're already a week behind two other teams for Ansell and Connolly, and one for Feliciano.

I'd think the same logic would apply to other positions as well. (Unless there's a save-the invites strategy that makes sense -- I've never heard of one, but it's possible, I suppose)
I'm with Quik, let's offer as soon as we know they are good. Like he said, there's no benefit in waiting.

CraigSca
09-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Only one reason for not offering scholarships - it was a house rule (that I'd seen other people use) that I threw out in the thread and never really received any responses. From a personal standpoint, I'd love to bag it, but the silence was taken by me as an unofficial approving nod.

Consider it gone - scholarships on a first call/visit is now part of the plan.