PDA

View Full Version : Ping Six Feet Under fans

Bo Jackson's Hip
07-31-2005, 09:14 PM
Great episode. Anyone care to discuss?

Tigercat
07-31-2005, 09:58 PM
"I’ve only been alive for six weeks, I know nothing of the world beyond this dog’s stomach, and I still find Six Feet Under pretentious."

NoMyths
07-31-2005, 10:03 PM
I almost posted this myself. Yeah, I was pretty...something'd by the episode tonight. A sad one. Weird when you realize that you've spent years getting to know some of these characters, that you get actually angry at them, and actually sad.

Bo Jackson's Hip
08-01-2005, 07:14 AM
I had the same feeling, I was very sad when the finality of it sank in. For all his flaws, Nate was a good soul. Glad he got some closure at the very last minute. His spirit was free. Anyone want to take a shot at analyzing David's dream?

sachmo71
08-01-2005, 09:41 AM
I hate Nate, but I am sad.

Peregrine
08-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Wow, just watched the episode. Not what I expected, though I have to say I'm glad it went this way than having to watch Nate trash another relationship in his pursuit of the ideal that will never happen.

timmynausea
08-01-2005, 09:41 PM
I agree with most of what has been said. I think this has been a much better season than last year, though I wasn't as down on last year as some people.
It's weird that it's winding down. It's probably my favorite show ever.

Cringer
08-01-2005, 10:04 PM
I haven't watched much this season, almost none actually. But I just watched this episode. Wow, and next weeks should be pretty cheerful.

Atleast there was a funny part. "It's OK, I'm Budhist. We don't care about that shit."

sachmo71
08-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Wow, just watched the episode. Not what I expected, though I have to say I'm glad it went this way than having to watch Nate trash another relationship in his pursuit of the ideal that will never happen.

Selfishness is an ideal?

Peregrine
08-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Selfishness is an ideal?

Well that isn't the way I meant it, and definitely not. I meant his mythical ideal of the perfect relationship, which he seems to imagine is always around the next corner (after dumping your current relationship of course.)

heybrad
08-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Its comforting to know that death is smoking a doobie and a swim in the ocean.

cthomer5000
08-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Just got caught up with the season (watched all 9 episodes in the last 4 days). It's a better season than last year (AWFUL), but ultimately I feel like the show is just kind of spinning in place at this point. Maybe it's part of the point, but it just feels like the characters haven't actually been going anywhere since the end of season two.

Ruth keeps working through the same issues with differnt boyfriends. Nate keeps blowing up one releationship for the next flavor of the month - thinking thats finally going to be the one to make him whole. Claire has descended into the most obnoxious TV character of all time - wholly unlikeable in my opinion. David is shadowed by guilt and is passive/aggressive in whatever situation he's currently facing.

At the end of season two SFU was my favorite show, i thought at that point it might have possibly been the best show I'd ever seen. But since the midway point of season 3, things have just completely fallen apart. I think the show has proven you can only go so far with one circle of characters before things become too soap-opera.

And yes, parts of this season and last have felt far, far more pretentious and intentionally wacky and zany than the earlier seasons. I feel like there has been less attempt to portray people dealing with life in the real world and much more focus on just how fucked up (and extremely unlucky) the Fisher family is.

The show will ultimately mirror all the characters relationships. They meant well, but it has simply run its course. Time to close up shop and move on.

Hurst2112
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
doesn't this show have 4 episodes left? i heard it was done after this season.

cthomer5000
08-04-2005, 10:11 AM
doesn't this show have 4 episodes left? i heard it was done after this season.Yes, this is the show's last season. They stated that up front. I believe there are only 3 more episodes remaining.

Tom E
08-04-2005, 02:32 PM
The ONE weekend Ruth decides to be spontanous and blow out of town. her son dies.She'll be so overly guilt ridden...

Nate telling Brends he was over it right before he DIES, that was great. A real mind treat...

cthomer5000
08-15-2005, 08:13 PM
so, any thoughts on how it all ends?

Unfortunately I didn't see next week's preview so I'm totally in the dark.

timmynausea
08-15-2005, 08:39 PM
I don't really know what to expect. It doesn't seem like things can get much more bleak.

Six Feet Under has always been really careful about being ambiguous about whether anything we've seen is supernatural and pretty much everything has been totally explainable as natural. The closest they've come was probably in the first ten minutes of the season 3 opener when Nate is in surgery dreaming about alternate universes and fenugreek and so forth, just because a lot of stuff from the dream happened later in that season. Anyway, I've been curious if at the end of the show they would delve into the supernatural at all. Now that we're pretty close to the end it seems really unlikely, though.

cthomer5000
08-15-2005, 08:48 PM
I don't really know what to expect. It doesn't seem like things can get much more bleak.

Six Feet Under has always been really careful about being ambiguous about whether anything we've seen is supernatural and pretty much everything has been totally explainable as natural. The closest they've come was probably in the first ten minutes of the season 3 opener when Nate is in surgery dreaming about alternate universes and fenugreek and so forth, just because a lot of stuff from the dream happened later in that season. Anyway, I've been curious if at the end of the show they would delve into the supernatural at all. Now that we're pretty close to the end it seems really unlikely, though.
I also don't see how tightly everything is going to wrap up. The one thing I can certainly see happening is the Fischer's selling the business to Rico, which would sort of bring complete closure to everything.

But David and Claire seem more unhinged than ever, so I dont' quite think we'll see them finding what they're looking for by the end of next week.

I dunno, this episode just didn't seem to have the finality of Nate's wake episode.

timmynausea
08-16-2005, 02:51 AM
http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/poll/viewerschoice_final.shtml

HBO has a poll up to vote for the best sfu episode. There were a couple weeks of voting to narrow it to 5 (one from each season). I'm actually pretty disappointed with the choices.
I went for "It's the most wonderful time of the year", which was a pretty good episode. You may remember it as the biker funeral episode.

cthomer5000
08-21-2005, 09:51 PM
For those who saw the finale tonight... thoughts?

*spoilers*

I kind of liked the way everything wrapped up at the end. It was uniquely Six Feet Under without feeling overly cheesy. It was kind of nice, like completely closing the book on the story and all the characters involved.

While I had some major issues with parts of the last three seasons, I really enjoyed the show overall.

sachmo71
08-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Great ending...loved it. This show will be missed. :(

MrBigglesworth
08-21-2005, 11:04 PM
I really liked the final montage. Good ending.

NoMyths
08-21-2005, 11:05 PM
I too found the ending very satisfying. Touching, even.

And it also got me thinking, "Yeah, if I somehow live a normal lifespan, I suppose I'll be dying in the 2050's." Weird. :p

bosshogg23
08-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Ya great ending......weird

You wonder what happened during XXX years.....

You should always wonder that but in a show you generally dont......nice for the show

Peregrine
08-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Wow, what a great ending. One of their best episodes overall, I have to say. That ending really floored me.

Anthony
08-22-2005, 04:32 PM
i only watched 4 minutes total of this show ever, how did it end. i don't care about 6 feet under, just wondering how they concluded it. seems everyone generally found the ending satisfying.

gottimd
08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
It was one of the best endings I have ever seen for any cable/tv show. I watched the show here and there, and watched more often this last season with my wife. The last 15 minutes of this series finale was Very sad, my wife is still crying a day later. If any of you were wondering who that song at the end was by, it was "Breathe Me" by Sia.

Peregrine
08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
i only watched 4 minutes total of this show ever, how did it end. i don't care about 6 feet under, just wondering how they concluded it. seems everyone generally found the ending satisfying.

Well we could tell you, but it wouldn't have as much impact if you haven't lived for 5 seasons with the Fishers. They wrapped everything up nicely for them though.

gottimd
08-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Well we could tell you, but it wouldn't have as much impact if you haven't lived for 5 seasons with the Fishers. They wrapped everything up nicely for them though.

Its replaying tonight at 10PM on HBO on the east coast. You probably won't understand what is going on with the characters but the last 15 minutes gets very sad.

timmynausea
08-22-2005, 07:01 PM
It was a good finale. This was probably my favorite tv show ever.

cthomer5000
08-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Here's how the show ended .....

**** SPOLIERS *****

Invisible Text below... highlight it to read.

As one of the major characters was leaving LA to drive to New York, over the course of about 5 minutes they basically fast-forwarded to the final moments of every major charater. Showing some key moments in their later life, and how they ultimately died. While it might sound a little cheesy, it gave me (and seemingly many others) a great sense of closure on the whole series. It wasn't done in some hack way, but showed how each person had lived out their life, where they were, who they were with, and what they were doing when they died. It juxtaposed the journey that is life agaisnt the journey the character (Claire) was making by going to New York (with nothing waiting for her) and just seeing where life was going to take her.

While not every episode in 5 seasons was a hit, the show speculated about, made comment on, and questioned life and the afterlife in a lot of interesting ways over that time. I wouldn't hesitate to say that, overall, it is one the very best TV series I have ever see n.

Daimyo
08-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Saw this last night... Wow. The ending was better than I could have expected. The final montage was probably the most emotional thing I've ever seen on TV.

Hurst2112
08-23-2005, 05:11 PM
The final montage was probably the most emotional thing I've ever seen on TV.

You must not have seen Ali light the torch at the Olympics.

cthomer5000
08-23-2005, 08:09 PM
You must not have seen Ali light the torch at the Olympics.
I saw that, and to me it just felt exploitative.

Anthony
08-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Here's how the show ended .....

**** SPOLIERS *****

Invisible Text below... highlight it to read.

As one of the major characters was leaving LA to drive to New York, over the course of about 5 minutes they basically fast-forwarded to the final moments of every major charater. Showing some key moments in their later life, and how they ultimately died. While it might sound a little cheesy, it gave me (and seemingly many others) a great sense of closure on the whole series. It wasn't done in some hack way, but showed how each person had lived out their life, where they were, who they were with, and what they were doing when they died. It juxtaposed the journey that is life agaisnt the journey the character (Claire) was making by going to New York (with nothing waiting for her) and just seeing where life was going to take her.

While not every episode in 5 seasons was a hit, the show speculated about, made comment on, and questioned life and the afterlife in a lot of interesting ways over that time. I wouldn't hesitate to say that, overall, it is one the very best TV series I have ever see n.

awesome, thanks, exactly what i was looking for.

i'm always interested in how various shows decide to conclude. it's not often a storyteller gets to finish his story in tv-land, it seems like most shows nowadays opt for the "go out on top" route (Seinfeld, Raymond, Friends, Sex In The City arguably, with Frasier/NYPD Blue a distant second and 3rd), and most series finales are hit or miss. the series opener and finale are obviously the two most important shows in a series' life, i always wonder how various shows decide to end it. you not only have to make the episode entertaining, but you have to put a nice cap on the last several years of your career, please the audience with closure, tie up loose ends, and pretty much come up with a unique way to end your story that doesn't wind up basically shitting on your work.

i don't like seeing things about death, so obviously this show wasn't for me, and it seems this one episode in particular would have been gut wrenching to watch. i've been thinking about my own death (hopefully many, many decades from now) lately, for probably about the last several months, so i guess it's best i stayed away from something that would have been such a downer.

NoMyths
08-23-2005, 11:23 PM
It actually wasn't as much of a downer as you might think, considering how it played out. Everything ends...nothing wrong with that.

cthomer5000
08-24-2005, 05:50 AM
It actually wasn't as much of a downer as you might think, considering how it played out. Everything ends...nothing wrong with that.
Agreed. The show was ultimately about life. That one great quote from the show summed it up (i think it may have been from this season).

Grieving woman: Why do people have to die?!
Nate: To make life important.

ISiddiqui
08-24-2005, 07:40 AM
The last 15 minutes was great. Especially with such a good song behind it all. No dialogue, just music and the march of time.

timmynausea
08-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Agreed. The show was ultimately about life. That one great quote from the show summed it up (i think it may have been from this season).

Grieving woman: Why do people have to die?!
Nate: To make life important.

I'm pretty sure that is from season 1. It's definitely 1 or 2. Nate says it to that annoying Tracy woman that chases David around.

In any case, it's a great quote.

Most of the review type material I've read talks about how Six Feet Under is pretty bleak material but "ultimately life-affirming," and I think that's a pretty accurate way to say it.

Lathum
10-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Just got this on Netflix and watched the pilot, pretty good so far.

Peregrine
10-27-2009, 05:12 AM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g109/lecokev/ThreadNecro.gif

But Lathum, you probably won't be disappointed. Six Feet Under is truly an excellent show, but you have to kind of accept the somewhat bleak world view many of the characters have.

Calis
10-27-2009, 07:21 AM
I think Six Feet Under takes a relatively drastic turn in "feel" after the first season. I think the first season is the best, and one of my favorite seasons of any show. It walks this perfect line between drama and really dark comedy. I think from season 2 on though the show loses that dark comedy focus. I still liked it a lot, but I thought it was jarring. Not really sure why I'm bringing this up, but it was something that always bugged me a little bit.

Does have probably my favorite series finale to a show though.

cthomer5000
10-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow... thread necromancin' indeed.

The show had its flaws, but overall, easily in the Top 10 shows i've ever watched.

PurdueBrad
10-28-2009, 07:08 AM
As the above stated, season 1 and the rest do feel very differently. That said, season 1 and then the last season are probably my two favorite. I also think that this is my second favorite series finale episode (Big fan of M*A*S*H*).

Sweed
07-29-2014, 08:45 PM
With HBO shows being added to Prime I took the time to watch SFU. Like others I thought season 1 was the best. By the time the last season was rolling around I couldn't believe how much I hated Nate. What a dick. It was very good tv but honestly the way I felt after watching an episode I can't really say why I went back to watch more? I guess it just kind of sucked me in and I had to see how things were going to work out.

I just finished watching the final episode about 15 minutes ago. The montage and music was the best ending I have ever seen to a series. Absolutely loved it.

Peregrine
07-29-2014, 08:54 PM
To me no question the final episode was the best series ending I've ever seen. It just wraps everything up in a really nice way.

chinaski
07-30-2014, 05:24 AM
i haven't seen it or even thought about the finale in years, but just got chills doing so. Really one of the best endings for a show ever.