PDA

View Full Version : Small Town Heroes - A LIMITED participation dynasty

revrew
08-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Small Town Heroes: A LIMITED participation dynasty

Every now and then, you hear of a small-town athlete who emerged from a small-town college (such as QB Dave Kreig from a few years ago) to somehow wrestle his way onto an NFL roster. Such stories lend color to the collective dreams of many young hopefuls, who pursue the nearly impossible just to prove wrong those that said it couldn't be done. From the corn fields of rural Iowa to the lumberjack burgs of backwoods Washington, young athletes refuse to be content with being the big fish in a small pond. They dream of the big water, the big leagues, and a few--a very select few--learn to navigate the turbulent tide of the National Football League. This dynasty is for all those that may have come from a small town but didn't let that stop them from dreaming big.

Each season, this dynasty will track the struggling careers of 5 undrafted rookies. These rookies' fates will be determined by the impersonal, often cruel A.I. engine of Front Office Football 5.1d. These rookies' personalities and profiles, however, will be determined by 5 FOFC members who meet the following criteria:

1. The FOFC member must himself (or herself) come from a hometown of 5,000 or fewer residents.
2. The FOFC member must have either attended or graduated a college that has a football program, but is not NCAA Div I.
3. The FOFC member must be willing to submit the following information:

a. A name (your own name is acceptable) for the player.
b. The name of your small hometown.
c. The name of your small college.
d. The position your player will play.
e. The single attribute that your player excels at, according to the attribute set of FOF 5.1d (i.e. avoiding interceptions, or blocking strength, or breakaway speed, etc, depending on the position).

The first 4 FOFC members to PM me the above information will be added to our first athlete (below) to form our first class of raw meat. In addition, you may want to do a little write-up on your player, as the example below will demonstrate.

I will then track the career of each of these players, beginning with their status as an undrafted rookie. I have decided to begin in the year 2021, which will affect salaries, but should have little other importance in this dynasty.

Without further ado, let me give you the breakdown on our first player, and let me offer a toast: "Here's to our early retirement!"

revrew
08-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Player: Drew Zahn
Position: Strong Safety, 5'11, 210 lbs. (Run defense)
Hometown: McGregor, IA
College: Bethel University, St. Paul, MN

McGregor, Iowa (population 976) has never boasted a professional athlete. Certainly not a football player, as the local high school doesn't even have a football program. When Drew Zahn graduated at the top of his class of 17 students, most figured he would become an academic, a scientist, or even a businessman. But after a year of playing beach volleyball around the clock at Texas A & M University in Galveston, Drew's speed and athleticism matured. When he transferred to Bethel College in St. Paul, Minnesota, this high school letter-winner in baseball and basketball decided to try his new speed on the gridiron.

"When Drew first tried out," said Bethel Coach Norm Gustafson, "he was a scrawny 180 pounds and as green as they come. But he was fearless and had a great knack for being in the right place at the right time. We gave him a spot on special teams and waited to see if he would grow beyond that." Three years and two conference titles later, Bethel football was glad Coach Gustafson took a chance.

Zahn added 30 pounds to his frame, while growing faster and smarter on the field. By his senior season, Zahn became an all-conference first team selection at the safety position, led the team in tackles and forced fumbles, and developed a reputation for hammering ball carriers.

In his last season at Bethel, Zahn caught the attention of NFL scouts from a handful of teams, but when draft day rolled around, Zahn was overlooked. Nonetheless, Zahn's phone began to ring with NFL teams who were willing to follow Coach Gustafson's example and give Zahn a chance.

The town of McGregor waits on pins and needles. Zahn is expected to sign an NFL contract any day now, and when he does, McGregor's fathers will be glued to the television, waiting for a chance to watch their native son in the NFL.

Izulde
08-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Excellent idea! I'll be reading :)

illinifan999
08-15-2005, 10:47 PM
I'll be reading. Too bad you had to go to a college, otherwise I'd hop in with my amazingingly small boring town of 3500.

jackyl
08-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Bryce Tolliver
WR/DB (6'0", 180 lbs)
Prairie Lea, TX
Southern Nazarene University, Bethany, OK.

Bryce Tolliver wasn't even the third best player on his high school football team in Prairie Lea, Texas. That honor is even more dubious considering the small Central Texas school is only able to field a perennial doormat six-man team. His love of the game would have to be fueled as a spectator at the next level.

Tolliver went to Blinn Junior College in Bryan, Texas, expecting to transfer to nearby Texas A&M and get a Pharmacy degree sooner or later. His dad was getting up there in years and Bryce thought one day he could take over the most viable business in his beloved hometown.

Then two things happened. His intramural football team found out that the small town boy caught nearly everything thrown his way, and made an improbable run to their title game. And Bryce met Tonya Wheeler, a small town Kansas girl that dreamed of a career on stage.

At the end of their second years at Blinn, Tonya learned her former drama teacher in high school was a new associate professor at Southern Nazarene University in Bethany, OK. She quickly made plans to enroll there in the fall, and Bryce decided to follow.

Upon finding out that SNU had a football team, he decided to try out and was rewarded for his efforts with a roster spot. He rapidly climbed the depth charts and found himself playing everywhere from flanker to corner to tight end to free safety. Bryce even punted twice his senior year. The Crimson Storm retired his #11 jersey following their final home game of his senior season, and he proposed to Tonya at midfield after the ceremony in front of 1500 approving fans...and two NFL scouts.

korme
08-16-2005, 01:12 AM
My friends qualify for this but I don't (Wright St. has no football program)

revrew
08-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Izulde - Thx
Illini and Shorty - Good to see some of the ol' ZFL gang. This dynasty won't be quite as much fun for the participants, but I hope to make it interesting.

We have 4 of the 5 rookie spots filled. We still need one more to round out our first rookie class.

And jackyl, I like the write up--the background on your player is good--but for the purposes of the dynasty, I will need a specific position and an outstanding player strength. Unless you specify, I will choose for you. You might end up a DB, you might be a WR, and your outstanding attribute will likely be either "avoids drops" for a WR or "interceptions" for a CB.

We have a safety, a tackle, a WR, and a WR/CB. Our fifth rookie would do well to choose a different position.

JeeberD
08-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Damn me and my big city roots... :(

revrew
08-17-2005, 03:37 PM
We may have to start with 4 instead of 5. If there are no more applicants by day's end, I will likely begin with the 4 we have, and Bryce Tolliver will be a WR.

revrew
08-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Here are your first 4 Small Town Heroes in bio format (some you already know):

Player: Drew Zahn (revrew)
Position: Strong Safety, 5'11, 210 lbs. (Run defense)
Hometown: McGregor, Iowa
College: Bethel University, St. Paul, Minnesota

McGregor, Iowa (population 976) has never boasted a professional athlete. Certainly not a football player, as the local high school doesn't even have a football program. When Drew Zahn graduated at the top of his class of 17 students, most figured he would become an academic, a scientist, or even a businessman. But after a year of playing beach volleyball around the clock at Texas A & M University in Galveston, Drew's speed and athleticism matured. When he transferred to Bethel College in St. Paul, Minnesota, this high school letter-winner in baseball and basketball decided to try his new speed on the gridiron.

"When Drew first tried out," said Bethel Coach Norm Gustafson, "he was a scrawny 180 pounds and as green as they come. But he was fearless and had a great knack for being in the right place at the right time. We gave him a spot on special teams and waited to see if he would grow beyond that." Three years and two conference titles later, Bethel football was glad Coach Gustafson took a chance.

Zahn added 30 pounds to his frame, while growing faster and smarter on the field. By his senior season, Zahn became an all-conference first team selection at the safety position, led the team in tackles and forced fumbles, and developed a reputation for hammering ball carriers.

In his last season at Bethel, Zahn caught the attention of NFL scouts from a handful of teams, but when draft day rolled around, Zahn was overlooked. Nonetheless, Zahn's phone began to ring with NFL teams who were willing to follow Coach Gustafson's example and give Zahn a chance.

The town of McGregor waits on pins and needles. Zahn is expected to sign an NFL contract any day now, and when he does, McGregor's fathers will be glued to the television, waiting for a chance to watch their native son in the NFL.

Dylan Airhart (nfg22)
Litchfield, MN
6'4" 210 Reciever (Big Play recieving)
College: Crown College, St. Paul, Minnesota

Dylan played on the small town team of the Litchfield Dragons. He was not a standout in highschool, he made 4 touchdowns his whole time as a backup in highschool. Then he attended Crown because Coach Auer seemed really nice and said he had a spot on the team.

"Dylan had height and I seen some real potential in the few plays I watched from highschool"Auer said.

Dylan looked a little uncoordinated in practice but had the nack for the long ball, was always able to come down with it somehow. He led Crown to its first winning season and also to a UMAC championship.

Name: Billy Pilgrim (BillyPilgrim)
Hometown: Granby Missouri
College: Missouri Southern State College
Position: Tackle
Excels at: Run block technique

Billy Pilgrim was the typical small-town, big fish. "Big" would be the operative word. He lived at home during his college years so he could stay close to Mama's cookin'. Apparently, she cooks for an army. By the time Pilgrim graduated from Missouri Southern State, he had grown to a whopping 6'5 and 322 pounds.

On the gridiron, Pilgrim wasn't exceptionally skilled, but his size and strength, especially when it came to pushing the pile, led him to all-conference honors. His size and run-blocking caught the eye of a few NFL scouts, and though undrafted, Pilgrim made his presence felt at the NFL tryouts.

Bryce Tolliver (jackyl)
WR (6'0", 180 lbs)
Prairie Lea, TX
Southern Nazarene University, Bethany, OK.

Bryce Tolliver wasn't even the third best player on his high school football team in Prairie Lea, Texas. That honor is even more dubious considering the small Central Texas school is only able to field a perennial doormat six-man team. His love of the game would have to be fueled as a spectator at the next level.

Tolliver went to Blinn Junior College in Bryan, Texas, expecting to transfer to nearby Texas A&M and get a Pharmacy degree sooner or later. His dad was getting up there in years and Bryce thought one day he could take over the most viable business in his beloved hometown.

Then two things happened. His intramural football team found out that the small town boy caught nearly everything thrown his way, and made an improbable run to their title game. And Bryce met Tonya Wheeler, a small town Kansas girl that dreamed of a career on stage.

At the end of their second years at Blinn, Tonya learned her former drama teacher in high school was a new associate professor at Southern Nazarene University in Bethany, OK. She quickly made plans to enroll there in the fall, and Bryce decided to follow.

Upon finding out that SNU had a football team, he decided to try out and was rewarded for his efforts with a roster spot. He rapidly climbed the depth charts and found himself playing everywhere from flanker to corner to tight end to free safety. Bryce even punted twice his senior year. The Crimson Storm retired his #11 jersey following their final home game of his senior season, and he proposed to Tonya at midfield after the ceremony in front of 1500 approving fans...and two NFL scouts.

revrew
08-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Rookie safety, Drew Zahn, signed a 1-year, minimum-wage contract with the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts were 4-12 squad last year. Indianapolis boasts some solid cornerbacks, but the safety squad is weak, so Drew will begin on the active roster and may see limited action this year.

QUOTE: "I went to three tryouts, and got three offers. But all three offers were the same, 1-year deal. I'm a little nervous about playing on turf, but of the teams, Indianapolis was giving me the best chance at seeing some action. I've got to get in the game if I'm going to get a longer contract."

STATS:
2021 IND Tackles: Ints: Passes Defended: Caught against: Tackle Percentage:

Rookie WR, Dylan Airhart, signed a 2-year, minimum-wage contract with the Denver Broncos. The Broncos were the 13-3 AFC Champions last year, led by star flanker Amos Mauldin. The rest of the Bronco receiving corps, however, is up for grabs, so Airhart will begin the preseason as the Broncos' #4 wideout, the second flanker behind Mauldin.

QUOTE: "I'm thrilled to make the team, but any undrafted rookie faces an uphill battle. I've got to do like the old quote says, 'Pray like everything depends on God, and work like everything depends on me.'"

STATS:
2021 DEN Rec: Yds: TDs:

Rookie tackle, Billy Pilgrim signed a 1-year, minimum-wage contract with the Tampa Bay Buccanneers. T.Bay was 5-11 last year. Pilgrim's future, however, looks suspect as the Bucs already have a solid right tackle in place and drafted another RT #1 in the draft. As long as the #1 pick remains unsigned, however, Pilgrim will get a chance to cling to the active roster.

QUOTE: "I know I can contribute to this team, so I've got to shine in preaseason, when I'll have the chance."

STATS:
2021 TBY KRBs: KRBOs: Pct: Sacks: Pass plays:

Rookie WR, Bryce Tolliver signed a 1-year, minimum-wage contract with the Tennessee Titans. The Titans were a woeful 3-13 last year and have a mediocre receiving corps. He is pegged as the #4 wideout, but could move up in a thin roster to see some significant playing time.

STATS:
2021 TEN Rec: Yds: TDs:

Poli
08-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Sorry, rev. I certainly qualify, but didn't see this on the screen.

revrew
08-18-2005, 08:56 AM
Sorry, rev. I certainly qualify, but didn't see this on the screen.

Sorry, too, ardent. But go ahead and PM me a signup and I'll put you down on the list for next season's roster.

revrew
08-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Dylan Airhart saw some significant playing time, mostly from the slot, in Denver's opening preaseason win in Tokyo. Despite playing for 20 snaps, however, Airhart only got 2 looks. Nonetheless, he pulled both in for a total of 22 yards. Denver's top 2 receivers, it appears, may be getting all the QB's attention. Denver does have a tendency to bench their starters during the preseason, however, so Airhart may yet see some heavy action.

Tampa RT Billy Pilgrim played the entire second half of Tampa Bay's opening preaseason win in Mexico City. He failed to impress, however, not gracing the stat sheet.

nfg22
08-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Thats right...I did well, maybe I can break a big one...

revrew
08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
It was 103 degrees in Tampa, where the teams looked too dehydrated to play well. Tampa lost to Cincinnati, 17-6. STH (Small Town Hero) Billy Pilgrim again played the entire second half, and again failed to impress on the O-line. He did record a tackle on special teams, but he'll need to show some push soon if he wants to stick around the NFL.

Denver got ahead early over Seattle and then settled in behind their budding star running back, taken in the first round of this year's draft. This limited WR Dylan Airhart's chances, but Airhart did manage to catch the only ball thrown his way, good for a 10-yard gain.

Indianapolis was throttled in their preseason opener against Philadelphia, but that didn't stop rookie safety Drew Zahn from having a decent game. Zahn played the second half, recording 2 tackles, an assist, and a pass defense while only allowing a single reception. With such a miserable defense around him, Zahn may have opportunities to make plays.

STH WR Bryce Tolliver remained buried on the depth chart in Tennessee's opening preseason loss. Tolliver did not join the offense for a play, but did get a shot at returning a punt, which he fielded cleanly for 10 yards.

revrew
08-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Tennessee wideout and STH Bryce Tolliver got a lot of attention in Sunday's loss to the Panthers. Unfortunately, most of it was bad. Tolliver didn't return punts, but came in to play the slot position. He was targeted 4 times in 11 pass plays, but he and the quarterback didn't seem to be reading the same page. Tolliver walked away with only a single catch for 11 yards and an embarrassing dropped pass. "Timing," said Tolliver, "it's all about timing. Especially in the slot, the QB guns the ball before I make my break. If we're off by a fraction of a second, the ball falls at my feet or bounces off my pads. Sunday's game was...well, it was just frustrating."

In another game, Small Town Heroes Billy Pilgrim and Drew Zahn faced each other as Indianapolis feebly limped past Tampa Bay in overtime, 12-6. Neither of our heroes, however, impressed anyone. Pilgrim played the invisible man again, playing, but not making a play. He has, however, played three halves of football without giving up a sack, which bodes well for a skill area some thought would be Pilgrim's weakness. Safety Drew Zahn recorded a couple of tackles, but they were routine, while he also blew a routine coverage, giving up an easy completion.

With two weeks left in the preaseason, our Small Town Heroes desperately need to make plays if they want to see much action in the regular season or land a longer contract.

revrew
08-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Bad news for STH Bryce Tolliver. Though his team won handily, they did so largely without his help. Tolliver only saw 8 plays, and though he was targeted twice, both passes were mistimed. Tolliver got a tackle on special teams, but it looks like Tennessee is not making long-term plans for Bryce.

Good and bad news for STH Dylan Airhart. The bad news first: Denver ran for 278 yards in a blowout win, further illustrating that Denver's first-round running back is the hands-down favorite for OROY. But Denver also has a 3-time SuperBowl winning and certain Hall of Famer quarterback, so Airhart should enjoy a winning season. Further good news: Denver protected star WR Amos Mauldin, so Airhart got the start! Airhart led all Bronco receivers with 66 yards, and caught 6 of the 7 passes thrown his way. Airhart struggled some with getting good separation, and if you do the math, you see he had only an 11-yd per catch average. Nonetheless, the good news continues, as Airhart looked far better, far more in tune with the quarterback, than did his primary competition on the depth chart (WR Norm Hastings, who dropped a pair of passes). With another game like this, Airhart may take solid hold of the #3 WR spot for the preseason SuperBowl favorites!

Indianapolis' secondary looked dreadful in an overtime loss to Washington, geeting torched by Redskin WR Heath Franklin, who snagged 9 passes, including the 77-yard winning TD strike in overtime. Little can be said about STH Safety Drew Zahn, however, except that he didn't see much action. Perhaps that's a blessing when the secondary gets smoked so bad. Zahn recorded 2 assists in 7 running plays, however, maintaining his reputation as a run stuffer.

RT Billy Pilgrim and his Bucs had the week off. Their #1 pick, a right tackle, has yet to sign. If he does, there is some speculation that Pilgrim may be the player sent to NFL Europe.

**Those of you who submitted player profiles for this dynasty, please feel free to submit quotes, newspaper clippings, backstory, or any other "color" you would like to this dynasty. Though I compose a quote or story now and then, it's often generic flavor and brief. Your continued participation is welcome.**

nfg22
08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
The Litchfield Independent

This week our hometown hero Dylan Airhart dazzled the fans with 6 catches, the most on the team. Dylan had the opportunity to start because Denver wanted to rest their regular starter. Behind the Superbowl quarterback Dylan led the recievers with 66 yards. "I just wanted to make the team and this opportunity is a gift from God, never when I was in bible school did I think the NFL was where I was headed."Dylan said. Dylan was also thankful for all the hometown support here in Litchfield. So let us thank him by giving all the support this small town can muster.

Poli
08-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Sorry, too, ardent. But go ahead and PM me a signup and I'll put you down on the list for next season's roster.
Excellent.

jackyl
08-19-2005, 12:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: HI!!!!!!!!
Sent: 08-23-2021 10:15:00

Dear Tonya,

Today is our first day off since training camp started, and damn do I need it. Everything, from the speed of the drills to the size of the Titans playbook, is on a different level than anything I've ever experienced. Yeah, I'm struggling, but I'm not ready to give up yet. If the team wants me gone, it won't be due to lack of effort.

It's not like all these other guys I'm battling for a roster spot are that much better athletes than I am. For instance, we have a guy trying out at flanker that went to Florida State, started there for three years, and was drafted in the third round. And he drops as many passes as I do.

I think my best shot to make the team is on special teams. On offense, I've only caught one ball of of the six thrown my way, and I didn't even get to play in the first game. I feel that I have the skill set to be an NFL wideout, but I might have blown that chance for now. I've only returned one punt so far, but I made a very good solo tackle on kickoff coverage that was shown repeatedly in the postgame film session.

Well, I gotta run. I want to study the playbook for a while in peace now that my roommate is out for the evening. Like I said, I'm not giving up yet! Tell Mom and Dad hello, and I'll write later on.

Love,

Bryce

nfg22
08-19-2005, 01:31 PM
The Star Tribune
Special Article from Sid Heartman

Here In Minnesota we usually get excited when the gophers do well, and we follow their careers. While a player from the U of M isnt all that common in getting to the NFL, we have this year two players from lesser known colleges getting into the NFL. Drew Zahn and Dylan Airhart have both come from D III schools (Bethel and Crown) and defied all odds to make the roster of NFL teams. Zahn playing safety was a very good run stuffer and could knock the snot out of any guy on the field, no matter what his size was. While Airhart was more of a deep threat with his height, standing at 6' 4". They played each other one time in college with Bethel beating Crown 41-7. Drew is looking to make the roster this year but it will be a challenge, he has worked hard during camp and the preseason and has even preformed better than some teamates but D III players are always down a notch because they dont have a solid reputation. Airhart on the other hand has performed exceptionally well catching 9 of 10 thrown his way, but he too has a tough road ahead of him. With the sucsess of these two men it makes you wonder if maybe the Christian Colleges are blessed by God or if this is just an anomaly, either way its a story all of us can be happy for.

revrew
08-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Excellent, gentlemen. Nice additions.

revrew
08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Going into the final week of the preseason, STH WR Dylan Airhart was in a battle with WR Norm Hastings for the #3 and #4 spots on the Broncos roster. Both wideouts were given the start. Unfortunately for our Hero, Norm Hastings showed why he was a third-round pick, grabbing 8 balls for over 100 yards. Hastings recovered well after last week's struggle and looks capable of handling the PT if a Bronco receiver goes down. Airhart, however, was only mediocre with 4 catches for 67 yards. Going into the season, expect Airhart to have a lock on the #4 spot.

Alas, STH Billy Pilgrim has been dealt a harsh blow. The Buccanneers signed their first round pick, and Pilgrim has been sent to the practice squad. Unless the Bucs get hit with an injury bug, Pilgrim will be hard pressed to impress anyone. Pilgrim was not active for Sunday's game.

INCREDIBLE game for Indianapolis safety and STH, Drew Zahn! Zahn started the third quarter with his team down to Atlanta, 21-6. Early in the quarter, Zahn recorded an interception, giving his team the ball. Several plays later, the Colts scored, closing the gap to 21-13. Atlanta took the kickoff and began marching down the field, until Zahn picked his second of the game, snatching a ball away from the tight end on a slant and zipping 55 yards for a touchdown! Zahn's score brought the Colts to within 2 (the PAT was missed). In the fourth quarter, the Colts brought the first team back on the field, shutting down the Falcons and getting the winning field goal. Though Zahn only saw action in one quarter and recorded no stats save for the 2 INTS and Touchdown, his play earned him the game ball from Coach Thurman Pence.

QUOTE: "I can't believe how good it felt to watch the goal line cross beneath my feet. I know 'it's only preseason,' but I'm keeping this ball for the rest of my life! Hopefully it will be the first of several I can take to the house for the Colts."

Sadly, no such glory for STH WR Bryce Tolliver. Bryce spent the day on the bench, activated but inactive. Though Tolliver is popular among teammates, Coach Donald Doyle doesn't seem to fancy him. Tolliver is stuck at #4 on the depth chart, and with a power running game in place, the #4 doesn't get to do much. Tolliver, it seems, will have to wait for an injury to make it on the field with any regularity.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a week of vacation coming up, so I will be away from the board until next Saturday or so. When I return, we start the regular season!

revrew
08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Week 1:

The Denver Broncos begin their season with a tough one: on the road in Arrowhead against the K.C. Chiefs. Despite their high-powered offense, the Broncos chose to ground out the game, testing their rookie running back. The strategy worked, and some big plays on defense and special teams gave the Broncos the win, 34-24. Our Small Town Hero, Dylan Airhart, got the surprise #3 spot, playing in half of the game's passing plays. Airhart, however, only saw one pass, a 9-yard cross that he turned into 12 yards. So far, Airhart has impressed coaches with his surehandedness, but he has yet to show any of the playmaking ability he was drafted for.

Dylan Airhart:
2021 DEN Catch: 1 Yards: 12 TDs: 0 Drops: 0

In Jacksonville, where the Indianapolis Colts lost, 10-6, STH safety Drew Zahn was disappointed to only appear in 4 plays, none of which resulted in a statistical presence.

Drew Zahn:
2021 IND Tack: 0 INT: 0 Defense: 0 Tack %: 0

Tampa Bay also lost, and STH Billy Pilrgrim remained on the inactive list.

Billy Pilgrim:
2021 TBY --

Even Bryce Tolliver's Titans lost, but in the first week, the stat prize goes to Tolliver, who saw a surprising amount of action. Tolliver played in about half the passing plays, as Tennessee went to 3- and 4-receiver sets often. Tolliver caught 2 of the 3 passes intended for him, hauling in a 9-yard reception and a 17-yard catch that he stretched to 22.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 2 Yards: 31 TDs: 0 Drops: 0

Best of the week: Bryce Tolliver

revrew
08-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Indianapolis, which looks to have another poor year, dropped to Arizona; but not without getting some stats for our Small Town Hero, safety Drew Zahn. Drew saw action in about a dozen plays, logging a tackle, an assist, and a pass defensed. It was a solid performance for Zahn in limited action.

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 1 INT: 0 Defense: 1 Caught: 0 Tack %:14.2

Denver welcomed Philadelphia rudely, 35-10. The rookie running back amassed 168 yards in the Bronco victory. Apparently, however, Dylan Airhart's stint at the #3 WR slot was short-lived. The Broncos allowed his main competition, WR Norm Hastings, to have that slot in this game, and Hastings gobbled up 108 yards and a pair of touchdowns. The competition is now over; Airhart will be #4. In more limited action, Airhart did manage to pull in a single catch for 19 yards, continuing his streak of catching everything thrown at him.

Dylan Airhart:
2021 DEN Catch:2 Yds:31 TDs:0 Drops:0

Tampa Bay evened their record at 1-1, but didn't activate STH Billy Pilgrim.

Billy Pilgrim:
2021 TBY --

For Tennessee, which fell to 0-2, STH WR Bryce Tolliver saw action in about 12 plays. He got a pair of looks, but overran his pattern in one and only managed a 2-yard pickup on his second, a screen. Tolliver remains a roller coaster, his productivity and impact in the game plan varying widely.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 3 Yards: 33 TDs: 0 Drops: 0

Best of the week: Drew Zahn

revrew
08-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Drew Zahn
Indianapolis lost a heartbreaker, as the defense stepped up, but the offense couldn't match. It was a heartbreaker for STH Drew Zahn as well, as the safety only saw action in 8 plays, failing to record a stat. The good news for Zahn, however, is that Indianapolis has slimmed to carrying only 3 safeties on the roster. Should one of the starters fall to injury, Zahn should see some significant time.

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 1 INT: 0 Defense: 1 Caught: 0 Tack %:9.0

Dylan Airhart
Denver's game, on the other hand, wasn't even close. Before an almost non-existant crowd at 0-2 Buffalo, the Broncos were blown out of the water. Somehow, the Bills amassed a 52-24 drubbing of the Broncs. A fumble on the one-yard line and a special teams touchdown were part of the story, but mostly, it was Denver's HOF QB Gabe Everett who shouldered the blame. The 12-year veteran with 4 SuperBowl rings played like crap. The early defecit, however, gave STH Dylan Airhart over 20 plays worth of action in 4-receiver sets!

Airhart caught a short out for a first down in the second quarter, and another in the third. A deeper hook in the third was just mistimed, sailing over Airhart's head. A sideline streak also went long, though Airhart did pick up a catch in the fourth. The total was 5 looks, 3 receptions, and a mere 22 yards. Airhart has yet to show anything of his big-play ability, but it was a sad game for all the Bronco wideouts, none of whom had more than Airhart's 3 catches.

Dylan Airhart:
2021 DEN Catch:5 Yds:53 TDs:0 Drops:0

Billy Pilgrim
Though Tampa Bay improved to 2-1, OT Billy Pilgrim remained inactive.

Billy Pilgrim:
2021 TBY --

Bryce Tolliver
Tennessee got their first win of the season, a dominating 33-7 victory over K.C. led by the D: 5 sacks, 3 turnovers, and stuffing the Chiefs for fewer than 200 yards total offense. Small Town Hero Bryce Tolliver--along with every receiver in the corps--saw some limited action, being targeted twice in 9 plays, making one catch for 9 yards. The Titans seem committed to a ball-possession offense, powering for short gains and playing high-percentage short passes. As long as the Titans continue to feature their star HB Kendall Shaw (averaging 30 rushes and 5 catches a game) and their all-world tight end, Tolliver is going to be begging for scraps off QB Marty McKenzie's table.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 4 Yards: 42 TDs: 0 Drops: 0

Best of the week: Dylan Airhart

revrew
08-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Bryce Tolliver
Tennessee played a thriller at home against the upstart Bills--who, you may remember, clobbered STH Dylan Airhart's Broncos last week. This time, however, our STH team came away with the OT victory, 33-30, lifting Tennessee's record to 2-2.

The Titans again played a powerful, ball-control game. HB Shaw ran 27 times and caught 5 passes. The Tight End, Bauer took in 5 passes, and QB Marty McKenzie went 26 for 32 for 348 yards, most of them to favorite target, flanker Rondell Belin.

STH Bryce Tolliver spent most of the game on the sidelines, watching his team bowl over the defense with the usual suspects. He only saw action in 8 plays, but 2 of those plays were passes his way. Tolliver put in a solid performance, grabbing a 9-yard cross and an 18-yard post. A perfect 2 for 2 for 27 yards.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 6 Yards: 69 TDs: 0 Drops: 0

Dylan Airhart
Our other STH wideout, Dylan Airhart, enjoyed a bye with the rest of his Bronco teammates.

Dylan Airhart:

Billy Pilgrim
Tampa Bay lost at home, falling to 2-2, in 97 degree thunderstorms. That must be what it feels like inside STH Billy Pilgrim's head, as well, as he remained inactive again.

Billy Pilgrim:
2021 TBY --

Drew Zahn
The only competition for Small Town Hero of the Week would come from safety Drew Zahn, whose pathetic Colts fell to 0-4 against the perennial powerhouse Houston Texans. The Colts' offense is the worst in the league--or at least they look like it--and the defense, though decent, can't do it alone. Zahn, however, saw limited action. 5 pass plays and 2 running plays, though he did record a tackle. Zahn continues to show competent pass defense (no catches given up yet) and impressive run stuffing play in very limited action.

Zahn did, however, suffer a sprained ankle in the game and is listed as probable for next week's game.

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 2 INT: 0 Defense: 1 Caught: 0 Tack %:10.3

Small Town Hero of the Week: Bryce Tolliver

revrew
09-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Dylan Airhart
Denver has suffered a serious tailspin. Injuries to their two star linebackers, each with 100+ tackle seasons in their past, and two losses to inferior opponents, have dropped the preseason favorites to 2-2. Rookie RB "Hot" Rod Foley (who some have compared to Barry Sanders with his 5'7" stature, 99 Breakaway speed, 99 Elusiveness, and 92 Avoid Fumbles--74 Hole Recognition) was completely stuffed by Cleveland in a 17-20 loss. Also stuffed was STH WR Dylan Airhart, who watched the entire game from the sidelines.

Dylan Airhart:

Drew Zahn
Indianapolis recorded their first win, doing what everybody but Denver seems to be able to do this year: beat Buffalo. Unfortunately for our heroes, safety Drew Zahn saw limited action, recording no stats in 9 plays.

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 2 INT: 0 Defense: 1 Caught: 0 Tack %:7.8

Billy Pilgrim
Pilgrim remained inactive in a Tampa Bay loss to Dallas, dropping the Bucs to 2-3 on the year.

Billy Pilgrim:
2021 TBY --

Bryce Tolliver
Hero of the Week would have been an easy grab for Tolliver--or at least it should have been, had Tolliver caught any of the 3 passes thrown his way. Learn to drag your toes, man! Two of Tolliver's catches were ruled out of bounds, including a fade in the endzone that would have been our first STH regular season TD. Unfortunately for Tolliver, his team also lost, 21-24, and fell to 2-3.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 6 Yards: 69 TDs: 0 Drops: 0

Small Town Hero of the Week: Though not a single hero recorded a stat this week (for the first time), because he played and managed to do his job, Hero of the Week goes to safety Drew Zahn.

revrew
09-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Billy Pilgrim
Inactive yet again, as his team falls to 2-4 with a loss against 5-1 Atlanta.

Billy Pilgrim:
2021 TBY --

Drew Zahn
STH Drew Zahn has to be wondering WHAT he has to do to get more playing time. Hopefully, after today, he'll get his wish. Zahn saw action in 4 running plays and 6 passing plays. He didn't give up a completion, and he clearly demonstrated his nose for stopping the run, recording a whopping 4 tackles and 1 assist in only 10 total plays! On top of that, Indianapolis won, beating 3-3 Jacksonville, 20-14.

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 6 INT: 0 Defense: 1 Caught: 0 Tack %:16.6

Dylan Airhart
Bronco rookie "Hot" Rod Foley bounced back at home against Pittsburgh, rushing for 138 yards and a score, as Denver won, 13-10. The win puts Denver on top of the competitive AFC West with a 3-2 record. Bad news for the Broncs as a whole, however, and for our STH, as HOF QB Gabe Everett went down with a hyperextended knee early. Wideout Dylan Airhart saw very limited playing time, snagging only one pass for 6 yards, while watching another pass intended or him deflected into the arms of an interceptor.

Dylan Airhart:
2021 DEN Catch:6 Yds:59 TDs:0 Drops:0

Bryce Tolliver:
Tennessee lost a close one to Miami, 31-28. The high score brought out the occasional 4-receiver set, getting our boy Tolliver on the field for 16 plays. Tolliver didn't get much attention, however, with only 1 intended pass heading his way. Bryce pulled it in for 7 yards, his only stat on the day. A few plays later, Tolliver left the game with a sprained ankle. Docs list him as probable, and suspect it may be a few weeks before he's completely up to speed.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 7 Yards: 76 TDs: 0 Drops: 0

Small Town Hero of the Week: Drew Zahn

**TEASER:** Madame Blueberry, a former New Orleans resident displaced by Hurricane Katrina many years ago, has made a bold prediction that one of our Small Town Heroes will be in the starting lineup for his team within the month. Now, whether you put any faith in Madame Blueberry's predictions or not...

Unfortunately, for those that do put faith in Madame Blueberry's predictions, she has also predicted that an STH will be without a contract or a team within the month. :(

jackyl
09-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Subject: hello
Sent: 10-11-2021 09:00:00

Dear Mom,

Sorry I haven't written much lately....believe me when I tell you that Tonya feels neglected too. Been busy with football, and then more football, and then more football. Although earlier this season I was happy after catching an NFL pass and entering the Pro Football Almanac, I now know I can contribute to this team more than my seven catches show. I'm not saying that Rondell Belin should be on the bench and I should be starting, but even QB Marty MacKinzie knows I can be a weapon. Are you still going to put my first catch ball behind the pharmacy counter? Maybe I can add a TD one next to it.

Nashville is not just white gravy, Dollywood, and NASCAR anymore, either. This city's really grown up, complete with one-hour LA-style breast implant booths and a hovertrain system that reaches all the way to Memphis. You and Dad ought to come up here in a couple of weeks when the Colts come to town. ESPN8 is doing a profile of me and some DB named Zahn for Indianapolis.

Anyways folks, I have to go. My playbook is calling for my attention!

Love,

Bryce

revrew
09-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Subject: hello
Sent: 10-11-2021 09:00:00

Nashville is not just white gravy, Dollywood, and NASCAR anymore, either. This city's really grown up, complete with one-hour LA-style breast implant booths and a hovertrain system that reaches all the way to Memphis. You and Dad ought to come up here in a couple of weeks when the Colts come to town. ESPN8 is doing a profile of me and some DB named Zahn for Indianapolis.

Love it! ESPN8...that's rich.

revrew
09-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Dylan Airhart
With Denver's starting QB down, the defense came up huge, blanking the Ravens and bringing home a 19-0 victory. The receiver at the top of the depth chart, Amos Mauldin, took home player of the game honors with 10 catches for 119 yards and the games only touchdown. In the simplified game plan put in for backup QB James Cassidy, however, there wasn't much room for Airhart. Dyland spent the game on the bench without recording a stat.

Dylan Airhart:

Drew Zahn
Indianapolis' defense came up big again, shutting down 1-5 weakling, the New York Jets, 21-10. Drew Zahn got his usual token 9 or 10 plays, and once again stepped up to the plate. Though Zahn was finally credited with giving up his first pass completion, a cross to a quick tight end, Drew also recorded a pair of tackles--including one for a loss--and a pass defensed.

Said Zahn of the pass defense afterward: "It was a tomato. Floating right out there, I could taste the interception. I was envisioning the end zone. I dropped it. Let's not look at the game film on that one."

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 8 INT: 0 Defense: 2 Caught: 1 Tack %:17.5

Bryce Tolliver
Early in the game, Tolliver was given a shot. He ran the wrong route and got an earful from QB Marty McKenzie. Late in the game, however, with Tennessee trailing the Jaguars 24-26, the Titans needed a key first down. On 3rd and 11 near midfield, in the waning moments of the game, Tolliver entered the game in a spread formation. At the snap he ran out to the first down, cut under the streaking split end, and found the ball directly in his midsection. He found a defender there, too, who knocked him back behind the first down marker. With the dime back draped all over him, Tolliver fought and bulldozed another 2 yards. It was a 13-yard reception, good for the first down. A few plays later, Tennessee kicked a field goal as time expired, netting the win, 27-26.

Tolliver is still listed as injured and probable for next week's game.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 8 Yards: 89 TDs: 0 Drops: 0

Billy Pilgrim
Without his services, Pilgrim's Bucs fel to 2-5. In even more devastating news, Pilgrim's team needed to make room to fill in the roster for injured linebackers. Pilgrim was released and sent to the free agent pool today. Pilgrim remains one of the best looking young tackles in the pool, but this is potentially career-ending news.

Billy Pilgrim:
2021 TBY --

Small Town Hero of the Week: Though Zahn had the superior statistical game, the crucial catch and drag from Tolliver was key to his team's win. Only Bryce made SportsCenter, so our Hero of the Week is Bryce Tolliver.

jackyl
09-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Subject: order status
Sent: 10-16-2021 21:00:00

Dear __Tonya Tolliver__,

Your order of __Pigskin Potion # 9__ is now in stock and will be shipped within __2__ business days.

Have questions about this order? Please contact the seller.
Order #: 058220612218635735
Shipping Method: UPS Hover-Trak v4.0
Subtotal of Items: $109.99
Shipping & Handling: $13.49
------
Total for this Order: $123.48

Madame Blueberry's Potions and Tonics
Newer Orleans, LA
[email protected]

mhass
09-07-2005, 03:41 PM
**TEASER:** Madame Blueberry, a former New Orleans resident displaced by Hurricane Katrina many years ago, has made a bold prediction that one of our Small Town Heroes will be in the starting lineup for his team within the month. Now, whether you put any faith in Madame Blueberry's predictions or not...

Unfortunately, for those that do put faith in Madame Blueberry's predictions, she has also predicted that an STH will be without a contract or a team within the month. :(
Just make sure she stays out of the Stuff-Mart. Her insurance agent can't handle another property claim. http://dynamic.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

revrew
09-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Dylan Airhart
The Broncos lost the game and the division lead to San Diego, and without Airhart's help. Until QB Gabe Everett returns, it appears Denver and Airhart will be singing the blues.

Dylan Airhart:

Bryce Tolliver:
Tennessee surprised the Texans by breaking from the usual pattern of ball control offense and opening it up a bit. It worked for both the Titans and Tolliver. The Titans improved to 4-4, while Tolliver got to showcase his versatility. In the preseason, Tolliver returned a punt. In this game, he took an end-around run for 3 yards. Tolliver also saw a couple of balls thrown his way, both of which he caught for a total of 29 yards. Coaches are impressed with Tolliver's athleticism and playmaking, but are still concerned that Bryce needs to improve on his route running and getting open. Tolliver is still listed as probable with a sprained ankle.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 10 Yards: 118 TDs: 0 Drops: 0

Drew Zahn
Indianapolis' offensive ineptitude reared its ugly head again, surrendering 6 sacks, 4 turnovers, and failing to score a point in a 27-0 loss to Miami. Zahn saw action in 11 plays, recording a tackle but surrendering a completed pass to a crossing wideout while his eyes were stuck on the tight end. It was a rough game in Indi for all concerned. In other news, Zahn is listed as probable for next week's game with a vicious head cold.

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 9 INT: 0 Defense: 2 Caught: 2 Tack %:16.1

Billy Pilgrim
Pilgrim remains a free agent, while his agent, Kurt McIntyre, known for being tough but representing over 170 NFL players, works on finding Pilgrim a home.

Billy Pilgrim:
2021 TBY --

Mid-season recap: We're nearly halfway through the season, and our Small Town Heroes' futures are beginning to shape up:

For wideout Dylan Airhart, his two-year contract with the Broncos gives him the most security of any of our heroes. He hasn't popped any eyes open, but he has shown enough promise that a team in cap hell like the Broncos will probably smile on his minimum-wage agreement.

Safety Drew Zahn has been very impressive in stuffing the run, while scouts who were concerned he wouldn't be fast enough have seen him defend the pass competently. Though he doesn't have Airhart's security, the Colts are hurting at safety and are likely to try to extend Zahn's contract to play a backup role next year.

Wide Receiver Bryce Tolliver may have had the most impressive year thus far of any of our Small Town Heroes. That doesn't, however, mean his career is necessarily on the right track. Tennessee's receiving corps is already crowded. Though it's not likely the Titans will draft WR next year, they may look to the end of the WR line for expendible roster slots.

Unfortunately for Billy Pilgrim, it appears the Buccanneers only signed him as insurance in case their top pick didn't sign. When the preferred tackle did agree to a contract, Pilgrim's days were numbered. Without any stats and only lackluster film to show, Billy may want to seek a roster spot in Canada.

BTW - Many thanks to those that have contributed commentary and a bit o' flava to this dynasty. While I'm providing the skeletal structure, your additions will give this dynasty its flesh and provide the primary entertainment value. Thanks again, and keep it up!

revrew
09-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Dylan Airhart
Denver fans breathed a great sigh of relief with the return of star QB Gabe Everett. Gabe returned with a vengeance, slaughtering 6-1 Cinicinnati with 324 yards passing in a 38-3 stomp and romp. Most of those yards, however, came in 2 receiver sets as star WR Amos Mauldin caught 134 yards and a tuddie. STH Dylan Airhart only saw action in 9 plays. Airhart had a slant batted away from him in the first quarter, but managed to pull in a short cross for 7 in the third.

Dylan Airhart:
2021 DEN Catch:7 Yds:66 TDs:0 Drops:0

Drew Zahn
Indianapolis was in a blowout also, but it was the Colts on the losing end of the stick. The Colts gave up over 200 yards rushing to the league's third leading rusher and 274 yards rushing overall. Safety Drew Zahn, though a specialist in run stuffing, was little help as the New England o-line schemed well to create open lanes. Zahn turned in a subpar performance, failing to make a tackle, though he was only present in 7 rushing plays.

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 9 INT: 0 Defense: 2 Caught: 2 Tack %:14.1

Lincoln Price
Price's agent is working with NFLE scouts to try to find his way on to a roster.

Bryce Tolliver
Tennessee improved to 5-4 by holding the hapless Jets to a mere 6 completions on their way to a 20-7 victory. The Titan's Kendall Shaw dominated the game with 32 rushes for 132 yards and a team-leading 7 catches for 62 yards.

Big News for our Small Town Hero: When starting Split End Sherman Carr went down with an injury early in the first, our STH, Bryce Tolliver saw a ton of action. Tolliver was in the game for 26 passing plays! Tolliver's first reception, a quick out, netted his team ten yards. Tolliver's second look was a slant, but this one was dropped, Bryce's first such blunder of the year. Tolliver caught a couple more and missed a couple more, for a total line of 6 looks, 3 receptions, 1 drop, for a total of 28 yards. In continuing news, Sherman Carr has been diagnosed with a mild stress fracture. Tolliver's hard work has earned him a starting spot for as many as 3 games!!

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 13 Yards: 146 TDs: 0 Drops: 1

Small Town Hero of the Week: Bryce Tolliver - Congratulations on becoming the first STH to get the starting nod!

**TEASER**: Madame Blueberry has made yet another prediction. Now she predicts 2 Small Town Heroes will be starting within the month, AND, she says, you'll never guess who the second is!

jackyl
09-09-2005, 12:57 PM
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: the game
Sent: 10-27-2021 23:30:00

Well, I guess if any of you decided to watch the Jets game, you saw a familiar figure spread out wide on offense. A lot more than you usually see him. Neither Rondell Belin nor Sherman Carr borrowed my jersey today. That really was me! Sherman got nailed early in the game and the doc thinks it's a stress fracture.

Geez, I'm tired. I haven't played that much since SNU. I caught three balls in the game, dropped one, and did a hell of a lot of blocking for Kendall. The Jets were supposed to be lousy, but nobody in this league flatout sucks...except maybe the Jets QB. I haven't watched the game yet, but the radio show on the way home said he only completed six passes all game. I think Kendall caught more balls than that himself! Luckily our coaches were smart and Mackenzie fed Kendall the ball early and often, and now we're in the playoff hunt!

Sherman's gonna be out for a little while, and he's a pretty good guy, so I feel bad for him and hope that he can be back in time to help us get a playoff berth. But in the meantime, I'm starting! For possibly up to three weeks! I even had reporters wanting to talk to me in the locker room, and it wasn't Rondell playing some joke on me like the whole "one of Steve Young's illegitimate children" stunt from last week.

The funniest part of all this was when the ESPN crew came up to me after the game. I thought they wanted an interview, but they took me to the media center and I had to stare at the camera and say, "Bryce Tolliver, Southern Nazerene University". The first take I said "_The_ Southern Nazerene University", but the guy with the camera was an Ohio State alum and didn't think I was funny.

I'll see all of you on Saturday. Make your travel arrangements and call me so I can pick up the tab. I don't have a jersey on sale through the team, but Kendall assures me that he has plenty of his that you can wear to the game. I think that was a joke, but I can never tell around here.

Tell the Lockhart Post-Register sports guy to call me!

Love,

Bryce

revrew
09-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Dylan Airhart
The Broncos climbed to 6-3, the leading AFC wildcard team, with an easy, 28-12 win at home over the Chiefs. The Broncos rode their stars to victory. Rookie "Hot" Rod Foley ran for 154 yards and 3 touchdowns, while star WR Amos Mauldin continued his unstoppable goal-line presence, plucking the 4th Bronco TD from the air.

Dylan Airhart saw action primarily on 3rd down in 4-receiver sets. Though he only got in to see 8 plays, half of them were directed his way. With Airhart's size, he makes a nice target against smaller dime backs. It was a solid performance for Dylan, who caught an 11-yard first down across the middle and a 17-yard first down on third and long. QB Gabe Everett missed Airhart twice, throwing the ball at Airhart's feet under pressure and just off Airhart's fingertips out of bounds. It was a solid performance for Dylan, whose final line registered 4 looks, 2 catches, 28 yards.

Dylan Airhart:
2021 DEN Catch:9 Yds:94 TDs:0 Drops:0

Bryce Tolliver AND Drew Zahn

Tennessee clashed with Indianapolis in a game that saw 2 of our Small Town Heroes in action. For Tennessee, RB Kendall Shaw continued his MVP-like year, rushing for 158 yards and snagging 8 passes out of the backfield. Behind the improbable, unstoppable back, Tennessee improved to 6-4 (now leading the AFC South), while Indi fell to 3-7.

Despite starting, Bryce Tolliver watched most of the passes go to QB Marty McKenzie's favorite targets, Shaw and Flanker Rondell Belin. Still, Tolliver got 3 looks, 2 of which he pulled in. His second completion was an impressive 18-yard hook in which he wriggled out of a tackle, dodged a safety, and scooted another 4 yards before being dragged down. Tolliver also got the chance to rush again, taking an end around for 4 yards. His final line, 2 catches for 33 yards and one rush for 4.

STH Drew Zahn was very limited, only appearing in 6 running plays on defense. Drew's assignments kept him out of the action on a few of those plays, but twice he squared off against Kendall Shaw breaking through the line. On the first opportunity, Zahn merely slowed up Shaw, enabling a 'backer to catch him a few yards down the field. On the second, Zahn got his pads on Shaw's knees and knocked the runner down for a tackle.

Drew Zahn QUOTE: "I hate, hate, hate watching a back tear up the defense. Sitting on the sidelines is driving me nuts. Give me another shot at that Shaw. He burned me once, but not again. No, not again." Zahn will get his chance in week 17, when the Titans face the Colts again.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 15 Yards: 179 TDs: 0 Drops: 1

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 10 INT: 0 Defense: 2 Caught: 2 Tack %:14.2

Billy Pilgrim
Pilgrim remained unsigned, both foreign and at home.

revrew
09-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Dylan Airhart
Dylan had the opportunity to grab STH of the week the easy way, since both Indianapolis and Tennessee had byes this week. His Broncos had the opportunity to beat up arch-nemisis Oakland. The Broncos did their part, beating the Raiders 31-21 and improving to 7-3, a game behind San Diego.

Unfortunately, Airhart didn't see the field and neither did star QB Gabe Everett, who was injured in warm-ups. After starting faithfully for 12 years, Everett is developing a case of glass jaw.

Dylan Airhart:
2021 DEN Catch:9 Yds:94 TDs:0 Drops:0

In other news, there isn't any......oh, wait! Yes! Yes there is!

Billy Pilgrim
The St. Louis Rams have been decimated by injuries at the tackle position. They needed someone who could come in (on the cheap) and block for former #1 overall pick, RB Karl Schroeder. Lo and behold, they signed Billy Pilgrim to a pro-rated 1 year contract! Not only that, they threw him right into the fray and started him!

Pilgrim saw his first action in the regular season, 41 plays worth of pushing the pile! This time, Pilgrim made sure he made an impact--on Seattle's defensive line. Though the Rams would lose this day, it wasn't for lack of effort on Pilgrim's part. The Rams needed to run, and Pilgrim looked like the best road grader. Off Right Tackle was called often, and in 4 KRBO's Pilgrim notched a solid 3 pancakes. Pilgrim also gave up a sack, but his play today showed some of the potential that first caught Tampa's eye. Pilgrim also notched a special teams tackle. We'll see now if Pilgrim can keep playing well and play himself into a contract even after the starters return from injury.

Billy Pilgrim:
2021 STL KRB: 3 KRBO: 4 SckA: 1

Small Town Hero of the Week: Billy Pilgrim

revrew
09-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Dylan Airhart
The Broncos enjoyed a near automatic win against the hapless Jets, a 38-17 drubbing that included 5 TD passes by Bronco backup QB James Cassidy, 3 to star WR Amos Mauldin, who holds the NFL record for most TDs in a season. The Broncos improve to 8-3, with a solid lead on the wild card race and a one game deficit behind division leader, San Diego.

For STH Dylan Airhart, a perfect 3-for-3 catching, totalling 25 yards in 11 passing plays.

Dylan Airhart:
2021 DEN Catch:12 Yds:119 TDs:0 Drops:0

Bryce Tolliver
Tennessee ran into a buzzsaw in all-league QB Dusty JohnSy and his 8-2 Seattle Seahawks. Tennessee dropped the game, but not without seeing some action from STH Bryce Tolliver. Tolliver got in 26 plays, but QB Marty McKenzie has other targets that are far more dangerous. Tolliver saw only 2 passes thrown his way, good for 2 catches and 27 yards.

Bryce Tolliver:
2021 TEN Catch: 17 Yards: 206 TDs: 0 Drops: 1

Drew Zahn and Billy Pilgrim
Indianapolis lost a heartbreaker at home to St. Louis, and our STH Drew Zahn watched most of it from the bench. He only saw action in 4 plays and didn't log a stat.

Pilgrim, on the other hand, was in the game for 63 plays. In half of those, the team threw the ball, yet Pilgrim didn't surrender a sack. In the other half, Pilgrim got 3 KRBO's, one of which he converted to allow HB Karl Schroeder a 7-yard gain.

Drew Zahn
2021 IND Tack: 10 INT: 0 Defense: 2 Caught: 2 Tack %:13.6

Billy Pilgrim
2021 STL KRB: 4 KRBO: 7 SckA: 1 Block%: 57.1 Sack%: 1.7

Small Town Hero of the Week: Though we had 2 STHs starting for the first time this season, the best stat performance went to #4 wideout, Dylan Airhart.

nfg22
09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow I notched my first STH player of the week...I wonder why I am so sure handed, yet so low yardage average...

revrew
09-19-2005, 04:36 PM
I have catastrophic news. My harddrive crashed. Totally Corrupted. Trojan Horsed or something. Every system restore or partial restoration attempt failed. I was left with no choice but to reformat and reinstall the OS. I've lost every program, every file, everything except that which was backed up.

There's no way for me to recreate this dynasty from the shards of my digital life. The STH dynasty is necessarily and tragically done.

On a personal note, I have my books backed up on CD and several major projects...but every program, game, and all the work I've done in the last 2 weeks is gone.

Back to the dynasty...I had simmed ahead into the next season. I can't finish this dynasty, but I can give you some closure by telling you what happened:

Billy Pilgrim finished the season with the Rams. As soon as the starters came back from injury, he remained on the active list but had no more chances to play. He started 3 games and was done. The Rams didn't draft tackles, but they also didn't opt to resign Pilgrim. No other team picked him up. His future was the CFL.

Bryce Tolliver was also bumped from the starting lineup when the starters returned. He had a decent year--the Titans made the playoffs, but lost in the first round without a contribution from our STH. Unfortunately for Tolliver, our STH of the year for his production, the Titans had only 22 players under contract in the offseason and were still 19 million over the cap. I don't know how they filled out their roster, but they did it without resigning Tolliver. Bryce was left unsigned and held a marginal chance of being picked up later, but odds are...Arena Ball would be a good fit.

Drew Zahn watched as all of Indi's starting safeties were cut, sweating bullets by the phone, hoping for a call to re-sign with the Colts. The Colts, however, had big bucks to burn and went out to grab the best FA safety available. They then went on to sign 3 MORE safeties, filling their roster with FA's. In the draft, they took yet 2 more safeties, making Zahn's chances of a re-sign nil. Zahn was not signed to any training camp, but as one of the best young FA safeties available, Zahn still had a chance of getting on a roster. Denver's roster, for example, was short a SS with enough room. Perhaps if there was an injury, Zahn might join STH Dylan Airhart.

Speaking of Airhart, his Broncos went on to win the AFC Championship, though Airhart was buried too deep on the depth chart to even get in the game during the SuperBowl. The Broncos and Eagles duked it out into the second overtime, when rookie "Hot" Rod Foley fumbled...setting up the Eagle's winning field goal. Foley nonetheless won OROY, and QB Gabe Everett won SuperBowl MVP in the losing effort. In the offseason, the Broncos kept Airhart on the roster for a second year, but they also signed a FA WR to play ahead of him. Airhart was sent to the inactive list (practice squad), where he was doubtful to see much action in his sophomore campaign.

I'm sorry it ends this way. I have miserable luck with dynasties :(

nfg22
09-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Im sad..:(

mhass
09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Im sad..:(
Me too. I'm going to start hosting rev's dynasties so I can see the end. Bring back the Des Moines Dragons!! http://dynamic.gamespy.com/%7Efof/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif

revrew
09-21-2005, 10:13 AM
You remember the Dragons! I'm touched. That's awesome. The good news is despite crashes and complications (this is the fourth dynasty that had to end prematurely--though the ZFL wasn't my fault! Really!), I resolve to continue attempting quality, creative dynasties. Sooner or later my luck has to change. Right? Now, I've just got to get FOF reinstalled on my new computer...