PDA

View Full Version : wireless internet interfering w/ cell phone?

Raven
08-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know if wireless internet can interfere with cell phone reception?

I've lived in my current house for 3 years, and use my cell as my primary phone. I've never had problems with reception. Starting about 2 months ago, my cell reception has been really shitty while in my house. I usually have to walk out front and up the street a bit to take phone calls. Whether I am at work, on the road, at school or wherever else, my reception is generally very good. It's only at home recently that the reception is bad.

Thinking back, 2 months ago is about the same time I hooked up my wireless internet.

Can anyone confirm this is the problem? Are there any alternatives to avoid the interference?

Thanks

gottimd
08-18-2005, 02:19 PM
My wireless internet never interfered with my cell phone. My cell phone rarely gets good reception indoors.

gstelmack
08-18-2005, 02:28 PM
It'd be easy to test: turn off the wireless internet, then check your phone. Turn it back on, check again. That'll tell you real quick.

Critch
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Seems possible. My wireless internet interferes with my cordless phone. If I get a call while I'm messing about with my laptop, the reception on the phone will be bad after about 30 seconds, then I'll lose my internet connection til my phonecall finishes.

Daimyo
08-18-2005, 04:46 PM
802.11b/g operate at a frequency of 2.4 GHz which can interfere with some cordless phones. I don't think cell phones operate in that range, but if your's does it will definately interfere.

Daimyo
08-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Seems possible. My wireless internet interferes with my cordless phone. If I get a call while I'm messing about with my laptop, the reception on the phone will be bad after about 30 seconds, then I'll lose my internet connection til my phonecall finishes.
Get a 900MHz or 5.8GHz phone and the problem will almost certainly go away (assuming your wireless is b/g)

gottimd
08-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Get a 900MHz or 5.8GHz phone and the problem will almost certainly go away (assuming your wireless is b/g)
Mine is 1.21 giggawatts.

cartman
08-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Cell phones operate in a much lower frequency range than cordless phones. As Daimyo mentioned, Cordless phones can operate in the 2.4 Ghz range, which can be interfered with by wireless internet. Cell phones are in the 850 to 1900 mHz range.

However, that doesn't mean you might not have a malfunctioning wireless internet device that is sending out rogue wavelengths. You won't really know unless you have a tester that can detect radio waves in the local area, and those don't come cheap.

Daimyo
08-18-2005, 04:54 PM
DOLA, addressing the problem at hand, some phones you have to periodically update to account for changes to the cell network. I had to do that before with Verizon and it was accomplished by dialing *-something on the phone. The cell companies have gone through a lot of changes and its possible the tower you used to get coverage from no longer exists or was replaced with one your phone doesn't know about...