PDA

View Full Version : Ping: Bears Fans

Superman=#54
08-18-2005, 04:46 PM
After the Rex Grossman injury things get worse for the Bears. The Bears are the last team left with an unsigned first round draft pick. Today Jerry Angelo released a statement on the contract negoitians.

hxxp://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=9965

Quoting Jerry Angelo.

"After missing all of training camp, we want to make it abundantly clear that the Chicago Bears have made their best and final offer to Cedric Benson. No dollars are left on the bargaining table, and at this point the only contract discussions that will be entertained will be reflective of the considerable loss of value to the club created by the player's extended absence.

"We will not provide details regarding contract negotiations, however, in an effort to move forward and focus solely on preparing for a winning football season, we believe it is important for everyone to know our position on Benson's contract situation as his holdout enters Day 26 and now is the NFL's only unsigned first-round draft choice.

"The Chicago Bears have always placed a premium on having our players in camp on time, and recent history reflects our excellent track record. Our last four number one draft picks have been signed on time for the opening of training camp. Two of those picks, Rex Grossman and Tommie Harris, were also represented by Benson's agent, Eugene Parker.

"The failure to reach an agreement on a fair and reasonable contract has been a huge disappointment. We look forward to having Cedric end his holdout and join his coaches and teammates as they prepare for the upcoming season."
-----------------------------
AARGH! :mad:

Darkiller
08-18-2005, 04:49 PM
My brother is a huge Bears' fan and I can tell you he is eating his fingers right now...

Kodos
08-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Those wacky Bears. Such lovable losers!

Eaglesfan27
08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
I thought that was the Cubs?

Loren
08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
omg my day is SOO made, good laugh Superman...
guess i shouldnt have posted since im not a fan but i couldnt help the giggle:(

nilodor
08-18-2005, 05:55 PM
I don't know how much I care, I think Cedric Benson is little more than Ron Dayne. I hope for the sake of my favourite team I'm wrong, but I'm not holding out hope.

Raven Hawk
08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Thomas Jones is a better running back, anyways. I won't shed any tears if he holds out until next year and re-enters the draft. I thought it was dumb for the Bears to draft him, anyway. If he only knew how much the City of Broad Shoulders hates holdouts. This may be getting near to irreparable damage for Mr. Benson.

maximus
08-18-2005, 06:48 PM
I dont like JA much but this is a good move by the Bears. Good for them.

maximus
08-18-2005, 07:02 PM
When I think of how Rex Grossman has been working HARD to get back on the field, and what he must be going through mentally and emotionally now, added to the fact that all he wants is to get on the football field, I cannot even begin to muster a shred of sympathy for Cedric Benson! He's taking this thing for granted! He can sign a contract, and break his leg on the first snap he takes, and end his career! He missed ALL of training camp, and he's a rookie! Not only would I no longer negotiate, but I'd give him 10 days to take the offer or rescind it completely!

maximus
08-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Ok, just heard on the news that Bensons agent says that he (agent Eugene Parker) isn't affected by Angelo's comments. Some are now even speculating that Benson just doesn't want to play in Chicago.

Really, what do these (rookies) guys deserve?! They haven't proven a darn thing but yet want 20 million in guaranteed money. :confused: :rolleyes:

PackerFanatic
08-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Especially when he is going to be playing for a team like the Bears...when even if he does play, the Bears will still probably NOT make the playoffs or even do that well this year. They had such a high pick and such good talent in the spot they were in...and they took a guy who ended up being a dick about it (in a position that they didn't necessarly need) Oh well...live and learn.

Izulde
08-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Too bad about this. Before the draft, Benson was my favourite of the three backs because he was the best power back. I wanted him to go to the Dolphins, but then they took the all-purpose guy in Ronnie Brown (probably a smart move even then because my 'Fins have the opposite problem they did during the Marino years. Shitty passing game and pretty nice running game versus superlative passing game (Until that fucking overrated, obnoxious cock maggot who only won because he had all those fucking draft picks from the Herschel trade destroyed the team by taking Marino's receivers away in the last years of Dan's career) and horrendous running game.

Now it's looking like an even smarter move for the Dolphins and I now hate Benson. Too bad. He was the perfect power back that fit Chicago's blue-collar tradition.

Kodos
08-18-2005, 11:38 PM
(Until that fucking overrated, obnoxious cock maggot who only won because he had all those fucking draft picks from the Herschel trade destroyed the team by taking Marino's receivers away in the last years of Dan's career)

Truer words have never been posted.

JasonC23
08-19-2005, 10:26 AM
After the draft, I told anyone that would listen that instead of first round Benson, second round WR Bradley, the Bears should have taken Mike Williams in the first round and a RB (JJ Arrington was still available, as was the guy from Louisville) in the second round. RBs are much more fungible than receivers and unless you have a superstar RB, any combination of average to above-average RBs will do (as long as your o-line can block, but don't get me started on how incredibly dumb they've been in not upgrading it much).

God, they're stupid and they'll never learn. But I still watch 'cause I'm dumb, too, I think.

JeeberD
08-19-2005, 10:28 AM
fungible

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fungible

Wow...that really is a word! :eek:

rkmsuf
08-19-2005, 10:28 AM
fungible is an underused word

JasonC23
08-19-2005, 10:38 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fungible

Wow...that really is a word! :eek:
And I even used it correctly...I think. :)

(Hey, that U of Iowa English degree and my job as a medical editor finally paid off on FOFC! Yay!)

illinifan999
08-19-2005, 10:40 AM
I said before the draft, drafting a runningback from Texas with dreadlocks won't end well.

JasonC23
08-19-2005, 10:41 AM
I said before the draft, drafting a runningback from Texas with dreadlocks won't end well.
But...but he shaved them! How were the Bears to know??

;)

Raiders Army
08-19-2005, 10:42 AM
w00t

I wonder how many fantasy owners picked him?

mhass
08-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Truer words have never been posted.
http://bears.hosttown.com/style_emoticons/default/yeahthat.gif

maximus
08-19-2005, 01:31 PM

..and so far you are correct sir.

flere-imsaho
08-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I think the Bears' clever plan is:

1. Don't sign Benson.

2. Suck so badly (hardly a stretch) that they get next year's #1 overall pick.

3. Tell Benson that if he doesn't sign before the 2006 draft, they'll pick him again, and let him rot again, never getting into football.

You may laugh, but this is Jerry Angelo we're talking about here....

Passacaglia
08-19-2005, 01:39 PM
I bet he cries when he finally signs a deal.

mhass
08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
I bet he cries when he finally signs a deal.
Safest bet you'll ever make.

maximus
08-19-2005, 01:44 PM
I think the Bears' clever plan is:

1. Don't sign Benson.

2. Suck so badly (hardly a stretch) that they get next year's #1 overall pick.

3. Tell Benson that if he doesn't sign before the 2006 draft, they'll pick him again, and let him rot again, never getting into football.

You may laugh, but this is Jerry Angelo we're talking about here....

Dude, the Bears are offering in the vasinity of 17 million guaranteed money with a five year deal around 35 million and what has Benson done to deserve this? Nothing - he has proven nothing. I don't like JA but he made the right move by stopping negotiations. What Bensons agent wants is Phillip Rivers trpe money.

mhass
08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
No question he's not worth Rivers money. I like the tactic. I bet they reach a deal within a week.

rkmsuf
08-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Rivers isn't even worth Rivers money.

sterlingice
08-19-2005, 02:28 PM
fungible is an underused word
Read more Baseball Prospectus. It's pretty common over there.

SI

duckman
08-19-2005, 02:42 PM
omg my day is SOO made, good laugh Superman...
guess i shouldnt have posted since im not a fan but i couldnt help the giggle:(
That's okay, Loren. We Dallas fans had a good laugh the expense of the Packers during the early to mid 90's. :D

korme
08-19-2005, 02:47 PM
I would surmise that both receiver and running back is the most fungible position in the NFL (unless you have a superstar).

maximus
08-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Rivers isn't even worth Rivers money.

yes, true.

korme
08-19-2005, 06:36 PM
You guys need to chill out, you have Jeff Blake.

maximus
08-19-2005, 06:41 PM
You guys need to chill out, you have Jeff Blake.

take it easy! :p

Chris Mortenson said on SportsCenter that he expects Cedric to sit down and talk with his agent about the issue that has arrived now that JA made his statement. Mort said he expects Benson to sign by Monday (or Tuesday) at the latest.

dervack
08-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Who cares. It was a wasted pick. They should have went with Williams when they had the chance. Angelo made the "safe" pick, and it still hasn't worked out.

maximus
08-22-2005, 02:32 AM
I have heard (yet again) that Benson will be signing by Monday or Tuesday. Parker (Bensons agent) says that Benson has been listening to some of his "advisers" and that is why he keeps holding out but Parker has spoken to Beson and said he should sign. We'll see I guess.

mhass
08-22-2005, 07:29 AM
I have heard (yet again) that Benson will be signing by Monday or Tuesday. Parker (Bensons agent) says that Benson has been listening to some of his "advisers" and that is why he keeps holding out but Parker has spoken to Beson and said he should sign. We'll see I guess.
That's pretty funny. Parker "had no reaction" to the ultimatum, but he's pretty sure it's time to get Benson in pads. I said it above that I thought this would do the trick, but Parker is now just posturing for the college seniors.

dervack
08-22-2005, 01:02 PM
He'll sign, just in time to make sure he's getting a paycheck. Preseason games aren't paid games, why should a first round pick show up when they have the leverage in the situation. At least, that's the message I get from Parker and Benson. Just think bears fans, this guys is Grossman's agent too. I bet he'll be looking for big money even though Rexy hasn't played 16 combined games, let alone consecutively.

mhass
08-22-2005, 01:04 PM
...this guys is Grossman's agent too. I bet he'll be looking for big money even though Rexy hasn't played 16 combined games, let alone consecutively.
Let him. Rex's career in Chicago is over.

maximus
08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Let him. Rex's career in Chicago is over.

Although I hate to admit that I have to agree. I heard on "Mike & Mike in the morning" (an ESPN radio show) that Rex will be put on the IR this week. :(

Honolulu_Blue
08-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Go Lions.

dervack
08-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't. I think they'll believe that they have too much invested in him to move on. What are the options? Trade for Rivers during the offseason? Draft Leinart? Leinart will not be able to take over a team right away, and Rivers means Leaf in footballanese.

maximus
08-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Go to hell Lions.

Yes, I agree. :p

rkmsuf
08-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Who says Grossman was the answer anyway.

They can have Rohan Davey for a Mushin Muhammed signed jersey.

Superman=#54
08-22-2005, 02:32 PM
I <3 Rohan Davey.

mhass
08-22-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't. I think they'll believe that they have too much invested in him to move on. What are the options? Trade for Rivers during the offseason? Draft Leinart? Leinart will not be able to take over a team right away, and Rivers means Leaf in footballanese.
No way. Angelo can't risk a third year of that glass jaw ruining a season. I garr-un-tee they have a new man in there next year.

flere-imsaho
08-22-2005, 03:05 PM
I wonder how many fantasy owners picked him?

I did a draft on Sunday where Benson was drafted ahead of T. Jones. Not just a little ahead (which may be justified), but as in Benson was drafted in the 5th round and Jones in the 15th.

flere-imsaho
08-22-2005, 03:07 PM

The Bears won't have the #1 overall anyway. The Defense will be enough to get them to 6-10 at least.

dervack
08-22-2005, 03:12 PM
No way. Angelo can't risk a third year of that glass jaw ruining a season. I garr-un-tee they have a new man in there next year.
I think they will have someone else also, but I doubt they will cut ties with Grossman. Angelo doesn't like to admit mistakes, why else did they not sign a competent backup this year?

dervack
08-22-2005, 03:15 PM
The Bears won't have the #1 overall anyway. The Defense will be enough to get them to 6-10 at least.
Yeah, but what makes you so sure Leinart will be #1 after this season?

rkmsuf
08-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but what makes you so sure Leinart will be #1 after this season?

Well if he's not then he didn't have a good season. A perfect Bear draft pick.

dervack
08-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Well if he's not then he didn't have a good season. A perfect Bear draft pick.
Well, elbow surgery might help towards making it a lukewarm season.